Open A walk to the Bazaar

Bakar takes a well needed walk around town and gathers some supplies

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

A walk to the Bazaar

Postby Bakar on September 13th, 2014, 3:13 am

Bakar nodded and followed the young squire closely. Why had I told him all that? "U-uh, thank you, Garland." He said quiet, unsure if he would even be able to hear him.

"Oh, and by the way. Have you tried learning magic? I mean, I think it would be more useful than your dagger."

"Y-yes. The materials I gathered today were supplies to practice my glyphing. And I know a little bit of Reimancy. I would have learned more, but.." The Nuit trailed off, eyes towards the ground. Quiet, you. He doesn't need your life story.

The squire was leading towards the glass store when Bakar gently put his hand on his shoulder. "Excuse me. But, do you mind if we head to a cosmetic shop? They also sell mirrors, and I would like to get some more facial paste.. Can never have too much.." He looked around nervously, scared someone would see him again, and call out his simple disguise. To counter this, he took his cloak and held it in front of his face. It looked strange, but he managed to set it so it looked like a makeshift veil, thick and uncomfortable, but effective enough for the time being.
As of Summer, 63, 515, Bakar has a different body! If never met you before, then this doesn't really matter to you, but people I've met should take this into account, as you're really unlikely to recognize me. :P
Bakar
The Quiet Undertaker

Words: 136278
Joined roleplay: September 10th, 2014, 7:53 pm
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal

A walk to the Bazaar

Postby Garland on September 13th, 2014, 5:11 am

He nodded. "OK to the cosmetic shop, and maybe you should join the knights. Its a good place for you I would think. I mean, people will respect you, and you can make a name for yourself, no need to hide behind the masks and make up."

He stopped and wondered about something about the Nuit. "Who were you when you were alive? Is this like your first body?"

He started moving towards the the cosmetic shop, the people aren't really noticing them. I think the make-up was working. "We should look around in the fighter's pit if you want. It would be fun."
Garland
A Father First, A Squire Second

Words: 687461
Joined roleplay: August 24th, 2014, 2:02 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

A walk to the Bazaar

Postby Bakar on September 13th, 2014, 7:25 am

Bakar smiled sadly. "The Knights... I cannot lie, I've thought about it. They are a well respected group. But I could never get past my experiences. It would be where I feel I need the masks the most, within the Knights." He sighed, "I did always want a job that helped people though. For now though, that is not the Knights. Maybe in the Winter. I gladdens me that you think I'd be a good fit there though."

Who were you when you were alive? Is this like your first body?

Bakar visually recoiled at this inquiry, pausing for a minute where he was. In the busy Bazaar though, no one noticed. He took a moment to compose himself. Who was I before? What a strange question.. He grimaced and took a deep 'breath' to calm himself. I, was a no body. I lived with my parents, in Sunbearth actually. Nothing excited really happened to us."

"My life honestly feels like it began after my... transformation. I was 22 at the time. I, uh.. don't know quite how to tell my age now... I'm either 50, or 72. I believe 50. Like I said, my life feels to have begun after I became a Nuit. Thinking about it, it sounds so old. But it doesn't feel old. I guess being undead can distort your sense of time.." He cleared his throat and slowly continued.

"My parents... They were, uh, nice people.. nice people in a hard town. Too stubborn to leave. That stubbornness cost them their lives. And mine. One night a group of men broke into our home. Murdered my parents, knocked me out, took me away somewhere. When I awoke, I was in some kind of dungeon. Apparently there was some Animator somewhere who had learned of the process of creating a Nuit. I don't know it myself, honestly, despite being present at one. I don't know how much you know about Nuit, but our bodies, they degrade over time, and will never heal. We need to transfer our souls to new bodies before we degrade completely, otherwise it's death. The better shape the body was in, the longer it will last us."

"I'm not sure if the Animator knew this, or if he just didn't care, but the body he used for me was long dead. Not quite rotting yet, but was in no way a good vessel. I remember being chained to a table. Chanting, then stabbing. Right into the heart. Then, I felt a tug, my soul being drawn to the other body. It's hard to describe.. The tug was from within me, but it wasn't any physical material. It was just kinda there, never feeling it, until it was pulled. When my soul was transferred into the new body, it was horrid."

"I was weak, in pain, and couldn't think straight. I simply lay there for a long time. I assume the Animator got impatient, because he soon disposed of me and my body. When I finally gathered the strength to move, it was slow. my proportions were all different. I was shorter, but had longer arms. It was a strange feeling. I searched my original body. I took the clothes. They were a little large on me, but I couldn't walk around naked." Bakar reached into a pocket and took out a pair of glasses. "These are the only other thing I bothered to recover from my body. My family wasn't very wealthy, and these can be quite expensive.. I haven't needed to use them since, but I always carry them with me."

He tucked them away and continued his tale. "I couldn't return to my home in Sunbearth, it had basically become a clubhouse for those who killed my family. But it was the only town I knew. So I stayed. Now, recall that the body I was given wasn't of the highest quality. It actually began degrading within days. I gradually grew weaker and weaker, until eventually I just collapsed. I must have layed there for over a day. No one bothering to check on the 'person' laying there in the alley."

"Now, one night, in that same alley, a young man was getting mugged. He was murdered, the culprit not even looking my way. I always assumed that he thought I was already dead and picked clean, because he walked right past me. When he was gone, I used the last of my strength to stand, and walk to the man. His throat had been cut, he was bleeding out." Bakar paused for a while, a forlorn look in his eyes. "This man.. I didn't know him. He was younger than me, but he looked we had looked so alike.. I tried to comfort him. But when he saw me, now basically a rotting corpse, he tried to cry out. The sound was terrible. The blood just flowed from his wound as he tried to fend me off. Here I was, trying to comfort this dying man, and all I accomplished was making his last moments probably the most frightening in his life.." The Nuit shuddered and closed his eyes.

"He died there. Alone and afraid. And in all honesty, I took advantage of that. I dragged his body to a more secluded area. I don't know how, but I knew exactly what to do to transfer my soul again. It just came to me. I won't go into detail about it. I was there most of the night during the process. When it was finished, I was terribly weak again. It wasn't quite as bad though. After a little rest, I was able to stand, and walk. I couldn't however walk around with a slashed throat without drawing suspicion. I tore some of the fabric from his, or rather, my shirt, and wrapped it around my neck. I couldn't stay anymore though. Someone was sure to recognize who the body used to belong to. I feel horrible, thinking about it now though. I stole this young man's body from his family, who never saw him again, just for my own purposes. But what's done is done."

"That was 50 years ago now. That's when I made my way here. The first few years, nothing really happened. It was around when I was 5, at that point I was already in my third body, that the abuse from a small group of squires started. At first it wasn't so bad, but they grew bolder. The beatings started. And as I've stated, my body does not heal. Any physical damage is permanent. I dealt with the damage for a while. Unable to find a suitable replacement. And I refused to kill for a body." He started to shift nervously. "I'm.. not going to tell you where I got most of my bodies, if you don't mind.. it's just.. it's a necessary thing for me.. Now, there is a service which provides bodies for Nuit, but I didn't know much about anything, and I was scared. Once again, that was a while ago. I'm not proud of it, but it happened."

"The squires though. They could tell who I was, even with the body change. The beatings continued. More permanent damage. Another body I had to acquire. It was at this point that I actually started with the makeup. I thought if I could hide the eyes, the black rings, and stay quiet, due to the black tongue, I would be harder to recognize. It actually worked fairly well. The squires eventually stopped coming around. I never saw them again. I kept up with the makeup though. And the fear of the Knights never went away though, and I've been avoiding them ever since."

He suddenly stopped talking as his eyes widened. "O-oh, I'm so sorry. I really do tend to ramble. I-it's u-uh.. been a while since I had a proper conversation with someone..."

"M-my original body was actually shorter than this, with shorter, lighter hair. I was stronger, too. But the weak frame comes with being a Nuit, so I think I'll always have been stronger."

"I-I don't get around town very often.. fighter's pit.. what exactly happens there? O-oh.. I've talked so much about myself. Please, tell me about you. I'm quite curious."

Bakar was finally silent, after realizing he had rambled far too long about far too personal topics with the poor squire. [i] Closest thing you have to a friend, and you're boring him to death with your life story. I already said, he doesn't want to hear that. [\i] What was it about this man that made him so open about his past? He believed it was his smile, how authentic he was with his words, how he carried himself. But most of all, he believed it was the fact he had not had someone to talk to properly for years.
As of Summer, 63, 515, Bakar has a different body! If never met you before, then this doesn't really matter to you, but people I've met should take this into account, as you're really unlikely to recognize me. :P
Bakar
The Quiet Undertaker

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal

A walk to the Bazaar

Postby Garland on September 13th, 2014, 11:13 am

Garland had listened carefully to his undead friend. "I understand, you do what you must to survive. And I'm glad you don't kill for your bodies. Not all Nuit's are bad, actually bandits are good sources of bodies, and most of them are physically fit and they're free. I'll find you and tell you if we find something." He said as they neared the cosmetic shop.

"So you say you're from Sunberth? I've lived in Syliras all my life, but the knights said that my parents were from Sunberth. I heard they were killed on their way here, and the knights took me here to be raised in the orphanage. I owe them my life in a sense, so I guess we grew up very differently. " He paused a bit.

"I-I don't get around town very often.. fighter's pit.. what exactly happens there? O-oh.. I've talked so much about myself. Please, tell me about you. I'm quite curious."

"Oh, well. The Fighter's Pit is like... The unofficial training grounds for people outside the knighthood, so mercenaries, hunters and just brawlers are the frequent there. Like I said before, I've lived most my life here, I got in trouble with the knights a few times." He said, with a small laugh.

"I've never stolen anything, my problem was fighting. Around my earlier years, I was a pacifist, I never wanted to fight or do anything with fighting. Then there were the bullies, oh toughest and meanest kids ever, the type of kids you'd expect to run a gang in Sunberth." He had gotten quiet for a while.

"Hmm... I remember that they went too far during the Djed storm of 512, they were extra hard on the kids that just lost their parents, so I took the fight to them. Let's just say I was beaten nearly to death, but when I did come back they were shocked to say the least. I fell in love with fighting, and with the rebuilding efforts, I had grown my body and strength. I took them out one by one, the worst one would probably be the one time I broke this kid's arm, pretty much disabling him for life... Or at least someone with the healing Gnosis comes along."

He looked around to see if anyone else was listening in. "I go on... Little rage episodes when I fight. So forgive me if I go a bit mad when I fight."
Garland

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

A walk to the Bazaar

Postby Bakar on September 13th, 2014, 7:37 pm

Bakar listened intently as they arrived at the cosmetic shop. He ordered his makeup and mirror quickly, too distracted by the man's story to worry about being noticed. He packed them away carefully, storing the mirror in a way that ensures it will not break, not even bothering to take his first, clear look at himself.

"Let's just say I was beaten nearly to death, but when I did come back they were shocked to say the least."

Bakar flinched at this. So, here's something we have in common. We were both beaten pretty badly. Difference is, when he was beaten, he didn't get scared. He got determined. He faced them. I just ran... He continued to listen, but from more of a mental distance after that, ashamed of his cowardly reaction to a similar situation.

"I go on... Little rage episodes when I fight. So forgive me if I go a bit mad when I fight."

At this, the Nuit eyed Garland cautiously. Okay, so I'm glad I didn't try to run or fight when he showed up. I't's good that he's friendly to me. I don't know how my body would hold up against an attack of rage.. He laughed nervously. "S-so, remind me to never make you mad, huh?" He sighed and shook his head. "Well, we have at least one thing in common with our pasts. We were both beaten pretty bad. You at least had the strength to fight back." He bit his tongue softly. Stop. Stop speaking your mind so freely. I can't help it though.. it just slips out. Well, you need to stop, you don't want his pity.

"S-so then! The fighter's pit? I wouldn't fight, myself, obviously. Permanent damage and all, but I think it'd be an interesting place to visit. Shall we go?"
Bakar
The Quiet Undertaker

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal

A walk to the Bazaar

Postby Garland on September 14th, 2014, 4:28 am

"Well, we have at least one thing in common with our pasts. We were both beaten pretty bad. You at least had the strength to fight back."

"There's no shame in running, and the knights were your enemies back then, so you couldn't stay close to them and if you did fight them, you would have more trouble than rewards." Garland pointed out and looked over to the Fighter's Pit's direction.

"It shouldn't be far" He said and smiled. "Despite the atmosphere, the people are really friendly." He paused and thought about something. "Oh screw the patrol, like anything ever happens here anyway."

The two of them walked out the bazaar, and into a small side street. "How long have you been in Syliras?"
Garland

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

A walk to the Bazaar

Postby Bakar on September 14th, 2014, 6:40 am

Bakar nodded and sighed quietly. "That's very true.. fighting Knights does seem like a bad idea, for anyone. I knew though, that knights were supposed to be honorable. I could have reported them, or something..." He hung his head and shook it softly. "Still.. I feel cowardly."

He glanced over to where the young man pointed and nodded. "I used to be a fairly good judge of people. Years alone however has dulled that sense. I'll take your word when you say they're friendly."

Oh screw the patrol, like anything ever happens here anyway."

The Nuit kept quiet at this remark, but put it in the back of his head. Should he really be abandon his post like that? It is pretty quiet around here.. I hope nothing happens, would hate for Garland to get in trouble for leaving with me.. Regardless of these thoughts, the two left the Bazaar together.

"How long have you been in Syliras?" asked Garland.

"Oh, I've been here most of my life. Since the whole, undead thing. I left Sunbearth a little over a week once it happened. I don't.. get out very much though. There's not a lot of need. I can survive without food or water. I really only went out when my body started to decline, or I couldn't stand to be inside any longer. I gets terribly boring staying at home for weeks on end. Honestly.. the point of this trip was to gather things that I could use to pass the time indoors, so I would need to leave even less. For near 40 years I've lived in that apartment, and the only way anyone would know would be to look in the chest and see my things. There's absolutely nothing there other then what was there when I moved in. Bought a blank book on a whim today. Was going to start a journal." He closed his eyes and remained quiet for some time.

"Listen, Garland. I don't honestly don't know what it is about you that makes me share these things. Maybe it's just the fact that you're the first to show me some respect, and just have a conversation with me in years. So I apologize if I share things a little too.. personal. The last to do that was... well, the one who taught me my basic magics. I... I'm going to leave that topic at that. It brings up some bad memories. That was near 45 years ago now. 45 years I've not had a proper conversation. It's... relieving having one again. Despite my constant rambling, and shooting off into other topics on the fly." Bakar remained silent after that remark, embarrassed as he realized he had talked far too long again. You need to calm down. At this rate you're going to bore the guy. Don't make your first conversation any worse than it is.
Bakar
The Quiet Undertaker

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal

A walk to the Bazaar

Postby Garland on September 14th, 2014, 4:57 pm

He enjoyed the man's company. He was fun, and he obviously needed a friend. He reminded him of himself when he was young and timid.

"45 years... Huh, I can't quiet for that long. You're a lot stronger than you give credit for, Baker. Just promise me you won't turn into those old Nuit's that just don't care about anyone else. Okay?" Garland gave a light jab on Baker's shoulder. "Its OK if you don't want to talk about where you learned about this magic, just use it for good and it'll be fine by me."

The buildings were starting to thin out and the sound of dull metal hitting metal. The dull blades they used here did the job, but only a well placed attack could kill. The Fighter's pit had most of its usual patrons and a few other specialized fighters or occasional mercenaries.

"Stay close, people usually challenge each other to fight, some are nice and accept and move on if you decide to decline, but some are a bit more physical or will continue to pester you until you accept."
Garland

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

A walk to the Bazaar

Postby Bakar on September 14th, 2014, 11:36 pm

"45 years... Huh, I can't quiet for that long. You're a lot stronger than you give credit for, Baker. Just promise me you won't turn into those old Nuit's that just don't care about anyone else. Okay?"

Bakar looked away. "It wasn't strength that kept me quiet, it was fear." He shook his head sadly. "I don't think the Nuits try to be like that. Undeath is.. a sad being. Watching everyone you care about die, over and over, always continuing on. No offense, Garland, but as long as neither of us are killed, and you make it to an old age, I'll still be in my younger years, well I'll be a little older.. You'll go, and there'll be another of my friends gone. Over time it just eats away at people. Do I want to become like that? No, not really. But over time it gets to you. I've already experienced it. I'm sure I will again. Every time someone you care about is taken, it takes a part of you. Living or not. It's just that when you live near forever, you meet more people, and you lose more, then it eats away more. Eventually, there's nothing more to eat away, and you're left with a cold, empty soul." He hung his head sadly. "Sorry.. I just have bad viewpoints on relationships at this point in my life. All they seem to me is happiness for a small amount of time, relative to my conditional, infinite lifespan, for a cost of myself in the end."

The sound of metal on metal soon filled the air, they must be getting close.

"Stay close, people usually challenge each other to fight, some are nice and accept and move on if you decide to decline, but some are a bit more physical or will continue to pester you until you accept."

"Yeah.. they sound real friendly.." Bakar whispered under his breath, taking a step closer to Garland, staying right on his heels.
Bakar
The Quiet Undertaker

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal

A walk to the Bazaar

Postby Garland on September 15th, 2014, 2:35 am

"Don't worry, its all in good fun, people don't get in too much trouble here. Let's get some seats to the arena." Garland said and took Baker's hand, to make sure he was following. He had read so many books that had the main characters separated because of something stupid.

"Hmm... Maybe the library would have been a better place for you." He said in a low whisper. "Safer and you might learn something about your magic. I mean its more dangerous for you here than any other person or race. And its not like you'll get any stronger."

He looked over to the arena. "Looks like an even fight. Wanna make a bet?"
Garland

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

PreviousNext