Solo Mountain Air and Campfires

Because the weather's nice and rehearsal is in order

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

Mountain Air and Campfires

Postby Brandon Blackwing on October 6th, 2014, 8:05 pm

About one meter before reaching the spot where his daggers supposedly had to lie around waiting for him, Brandon found himself staring at the tip of an arrow once more. Fortunately, said arrow had not left its place on the bow yet, and neither had the green-and-brown cloaked man an angry scowl on his face. “Looking for these?” came his deep voice, fitting perfectly well with his grizzled features, while he shoved the blades towards the bat with the tip of his boot. Brandon frowned, the sweat of fright and shock the point of the projectile had brought him already vanishing. The wind had turned, so Brandon hadn't smelled the man. The leaves rustled and the gusts roared, so he hadn't heard him. And the shadows of the trees served as the perfect camouflage, so the bat hadn't seen him either. Well, it wasn't like he'd been paying attention, he'd thought himself to be safe after beating the first Bowman, never considering the possibility that there could be more around.

Warily, he grabbed the daggers gingerly, sheathing them all while keeping his eyes fixed on the armed man in front of him. “That was quite the fight,” the hunter spoke pensively, his voice not betraying any emotions. “...” Brandon did not respond, not quite knowing what to say and not understanding what Bowman II meant with that statement. “I haven't seen Johnathan go down in a fight since... well, a long time.” And why would Bowman II say something like that in this situation?

“Ah, pardon me!” he added quickly, seemingly noticing only now that he was still keeping his arrow aimed at Brandon, lowering it immediately and putting the projectile back into his quiver. “I am Robin Hodd, and he there-” he nodded towards the floored Bowman, “is my apprentice, Johnathan Lytlle.” He bowed shallowly in greeting. Brandon returned the courtesy. “Djas.”

After the exchange of names, Robin Hodd got to the point quickly. “Usually, I'd shoot you in the leg and deliver you to the Shinya patrolling the woods, but you're lucky. You've helped me a great deal, so I'll let you off the hook.” The Kelvic thief could only question the man's words with a quizzically raised eyebrow. The hunter seemed all too eager to clarify, “Yes, I said it had been a while someone had bested John here, right? Well, the guy who succeeded in doing that was a man twice as bulky as him. He's let it get to his head of course, and has become rather haughty and arrogant. I've been wanting to have someone teach him a lesson, and well, you just did.”

“Ah...”
“John isn't used to losing, he was a boxing champ in his younger years and even in the ring he was undefeated. Until he quit because he deemed it too boring. You are a lucky man, Djas, if John hadn't become rusty you'd have had a hard time. In that regard you are also fortunate he can't really hit his marks when practicing his archery.” One of the thief's hands reached up to the crust that had formed on his cheek, the thin wound where an arrow had left a cut. Bowman couldn't have been that bad if he'd been able to scratch him. “But I digress. I'd like to thank you for letting John bite the dust. He'll probably be humbled by that, having been beaten by someone with your build. Though I'm sure he'd call your style of fighting cowardly and underhanded.” Cowardly? That was perhaps the case, the bat had to admit, but he had used no petty tricks this time, but genuine strategy and fair fighting to defeat his opponent. That alone steeled the bat's will to use his slowly developing style. However, that didn't mean he wouldn't use dirty tricks every so often. Not because he didn't have honor, but because sometimes it was necessary to win.

“How long have you been watching, exactly?” the Kelvic asked curiously; suspecting the man had been around for a while.
“From the beginning,” Robin Hodd confessed with a grin, “I was going to let John know his five days of solitary training in the Peaks were over, but I decided to stay hidden for a while longer when I saw the scene unfolding.” He chuckled.

Brandon too could not help but smile at that, shaking his head in disbelieve. Wasn't a master supposed to protect his students? Apparently not, but what did it matter to him? He was free, he was no longer hungry and he had tested his new combat style on someone stronger and tougher than most other individuals. In short; it had been a great day.

While the hunter strode over to his companion to see if he could wake him up, the thief stepped out of the clearing and into the brush, headed back home.

Credit goes to Engghaen
Fighting Style and Techniques

Credit for this awesome sig goes to Estrellir Konrath
Brandon Blackwing
The master thief Incognito

Words: 1496963
Joined roleplay: September 8th, 2013, 3:24 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Mountain Air and Campfires

Postby Trickster on November 3rd, 2014, 3:29 am

Brandon Blackwing

Experience
Skill XP Earned
Wilderness Survival: Mountains 2
Unarmed Combat 5
Climbing 1
Land Navigation 1
Investigation 1
Tacking 1
Stealth 1
Acrobatics 2
Detection 1
Rhetoric 1
Tactics 2
Weapon: Dagger 1

Lores
    Mother's Influence: A Dislike for Spider People
    Be Ready or Be Caught
    A Tedious Path to Making Fire
    It's Always a Good Idea to Bring Food
    Caution Before Stomach
    Tracking By Scent
    The Enticing Scent of Mushroom, Carrot, and Meat Stew
    The Strength of an Animal's Intuition
    Mr. Shoot First and Ask Questions Later: An Angry Hunter
    Tactics: Anticipating The Opponent's Next Move
    Tactics: How to Evade a Bowman's Arrow
    Unarmed Combat: A Hammering Fist to the Abdomen
    Unarmed Combat: Throwing Momentum and Speed Behind a Strike
    The Dangers of Taking Hits in a Concentrated Area
    Unarmed Combat: The Bounce Step
    Tactics: Taking the Reigns of a Fight
    Using My Speed & Agility to My Advantage
    How to Fight a Larger Opponent
    Bowman Number Two: Robin Hodd
    Bowman's Apprentice: Jonathan Lyttle

Notes :
Wooh! That was quite the solo! :D
I loved your writing style, especially in how you were able to characterize the hunters, along with how you describe Brandon's though process.
It was all quite a pleasure to read, and I look forward to your future threads!
Keep up the good work!

If you have any concerns with your grade, please don't hesitate to shoot me a PM!

Happy Writing (and good luck with Nano! :P)

Mischief Managed,
Trick

|
|
Trickster
Be slow, be quick, be witty, be wary

Words: 89487
Joined roleplay: July 29th, 2013, 6:23 pm
Race: Staff account
Medals: 1
Artist (1)

Previous