PM to join [Job Thread][Baroque Bay] Dark Shadows, Darkest Waters

Wherein Aerer works for a living, and spends some time sober.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

[Job Thread][Baroque Bay] Dark Shadows, Darkest Waters

Postby Aerer on September 14th, 2014, 4:42 am

Aerer – 23 Bells, 24 Chimes. Petch, could this night go any slower?

Sunberth, 12, Fall, 514 A.V

The merchant caravel was laid up at anchor, floating idly in the stormy waters where a handful of men, Aerer included, had carried unmarked goods off the vessel and into a nearby ramshackle hut. He had envisioned a hurried operation followed by an even quicker payout but the updated request to guard the doorway and discourage potential visitors was effectively destroying his keen strategy of ogling loose women and consuming drinks.

It seemed simple enough. Look threatening. Don’t consume said beverages until off the clock and put a pressing halt to anything abominable from happening. Otherwise you will be seeing a significant drop in pay. He was pretty certain that was the exact threat, down to the letter.

A yawn escaped his lips, fingers drove through unwashed ebon locks while picking out unpredicted discoveries as he swayed from side to side impatiently.

“You think this is going to end soon? I honestly don't even know why they need us sitting around looking pretty. Pay didn't seem all that great in the first place and I could really use a petching drink” He griped to Viles, who seemed accustomed to Aerers bemoaning. Well over six foot tall and with a few hundred pounds on Aerer, Viles the behemoth let out a yawn as well, kicking at the gravel near his feet while giving his blade a practice swing. “You always need a petching drink, Aerer. Should slow down on that shyke, gonna leave you a petching jake, wandering around the slag heap wondering where you left your breeches.”

“Theres gotta be something down near the slag piles worth dropping my breeches for, aye?” Aerer stuck a finger in his ear, attempting to clean out whatever surprises might be found in there as well. Flicking the end result onto the ground, he resumed combing fingers through his hair. “Someone to feel sorry for poor, drunk Aerer, yeah?”

“Not unless you want your piece bitten off, I wouldn't recommend it, friend. That, plus I'd imagine the Vagik strench might drive you off long before you see any action.” A rare chuckle from Viles, who continued swinging his weapon about. “You ever learn what was in those crates?”

“Was told to mind my own business, I was. Not a clue. Maybe something fun and enjoyable. Maybe they'll throw the scraps to us dogs after they're down sorting it out.” Aerer scoffed, scrunching his face up to a look of disdain and released a gob of spit at the ground. “You know how much longer were suppose to be here?”

“Early morning, I wus told. You got your dice with you? We could...” Viles body froze, his eyes growing narrow as his voice descended to a muffled growl. “Heard something or someone ranging about nearby. Quiet now.”

Gods, he really could use that drink. Aerer shifted back, attempting to blend in more with the shadows near the docks. There was little style or talent if a fight broke out tonight. He could only hope he was faster then the other guy.
Aerer
Player

Words: 42682
Joined roleplay: August 27th, 2014, 1:54 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

[Job Thread][Baroque Bay] Dark Shadows, Darkest Waters

Postby Aerer on September 23rd, 2014, 11:09 pm

23 Bells, 49 Chimes. Petch, could this night go any slower?

Sunberth, 12, Fall, 514 A.V

Chimes felt like bells, his uneven panting the only sound he was able to track in the night. Eyesight only took him a few yards out, combing the inky blackness for signs of movement and finding nothing in return. Despite what he felt was an acceptable amount of training with a blade his short sword felt feeble and paltry in his hand that night. Sweat mixed with his tight grasp and he briefly swapped the blade to his offhand to offer a moment of respite.

Not terribly smart to for both of us to leave the door unguarded he admitted regretfully but logic never truly suited him and with a reluctant shuffle he departed westbound. Won't do the boss man no lick of good if were all dead because we didn't investigate. His marginally muted footsteps traversing the remnants of the market which had closed up shop some bells ago. A twisting shadow caused him to falter and cry out before he recognized it to be no more then a pile of broken armor straps loosely resting atop a window sill. Truly the lower point of the evening when inanimate objects were beginning to spook him. Shameful, really.

A handful of chimes and one desultory investigation later eventually led the duo back to where they had begun. Viles heavy and familiar footsteps reverberating against the ground. “Seems like they're gone. Your ugly mug probably made them think twice about attacking us.” Viles sheathed his weapon, returning to his position in front of the doorway.

A held breath exhaled, all things known it took Aerer a few chimes to recover. His heart felt overtaxed, his shoulders slumping from the sudden removal of adrenaline. “You sure it wasn't yer smell? You smell like dust bed gas, three days old.”

“Wasn't a very good retort, Aerer.” Viles scoffed.

“Yeah, I know. Going to be a long night. Have to spend it with a vagik like you. Life dealt me a cruel hand.” Aerer sheathed his weapon as well, stifling a yawn as he resumed his post. “You hear about the Dhani bounty that was posted?” Fingers once more turned up distasteful results from the inside of his nostrils and were flicked nonchalantly to the ground. “Know any I can rustle up for some easy coin?”

A hideous guffaw rose up from Viles, who had begun pacing up towards the dock and back once more. Antsy. Viles turned his massive frame towards Aerer, cocksure grin etched into his features. “You think I'd tell a useless jake like you? You'd botch the whole thing up three chimes in. What do you even know about Dhani?”

“Well, they're good swimmers. Least that’s what I had overheard. Some kind of snake on the water.”

Viles grunted in agreement of that fact, though tree trunk like arms were crossed and his left eyebrow raised as he peered idly at Aerer. “You think thats enough to go on to catch one?”

“Well maybe I could get a net.”

“A net.”

“Yea, like a big one, right? Set it up along the piers, catch a foolish Dhani skimming the surface. Then just wrap it up nice and tight, hightail it down to Tua's and net us some Miza.” Aerer raised both his hands in front of him and dropped them just as quick. “Project complete, one hundred miza made within an hour of fishing.”

“But if it was that easy, everyone in Sunberth would have one in custody.” Viles countered. “You're dumbing it down. They're crafty. You haven't seen one, nor have I. For all we know, its all fairytale shyke.”

Aerer pondered this a moment. “Well maybe they only come out at night? Maybe they're camouflaged and look like the murky waters. Maybe....” He paused, the gears in his head spinning. “Maybe the noise we heard was actually a Dhani swimming by and we just didn't know it. We can't get the net now but maybe we can spot 'em for next time.”

Viles looked back at the door they were suppose to be guarding, then to Aerer. A greedy smile fluttered across Aerers lips. “One hundred miza” he mouthed.

The pair bolted towards the piers.
Aerer
Player

Words: 42682
Joined roleplay: August 27th, 2014, 1:54 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook