Open [Lantern Square] Black, Blue and Gray [Vice]

Kreig meets the Gray Fist

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This lazy agricultural settlement rests on the swampy shores of the Middle Suvan at the delta of The Kenash River. The River's slow moving bayou waters have bred a different sort of people - rugged, cultured, and somewhat violent. Sprawling plantations of tobacco and cotton grow on the outskirts of the swamp in the rich Cyphrus soils, while the city itself curls around the bayou and spawns decadence and sins of all sorts. Life is slower in Kenash, but the lack of pace is made up for in the excesses of food and flesh in a city where drinking, debauchery, gambling, slavery, and overbearing plantation families dominate the landscape.

Moderator: Gossamer

[Lantern Square] Black, Blue and Gray [Vice]

Postby Kreig Messer on October 2nd, 2014, 10:35 pm

It was amusing that despite their physical states that both of them didn’t have the impulse to get their wounds treated. But that had no bearing on the current situation as the both of them went to a stall. Apparently the same stall were the tray that dealt the finishing blow to their fight, he rubbed his jaw as he winced ‘ One day I’m gonna pay him back for that’ Kreig chuckled internally at the idea and made sure to file away the thought for a later date. “Can’t say I blame them for not venturing into the swamps , the wildlife of our world don’t exactly take kindly to trespassers.” He remarked as he leaned against the stall.

While he was unfamiliar with the swamps, it was a general rule of thumb that any place where Civilization’s touches has yet to reach tend to be deadly places where you don’t walk out if you’re unprepared. If the mercs that Lancaster considered ‘good’ didn’t venture there then it certainly meant there was something there that merited plenty of fear. Now Kreig, being the sort of sod to toss himself into Danger whether he means to or not, found that intriguing and thus more eager for this ‘job’.

He gratefully accepted the glass of rum and gave it a small sip, savoring the taste and smell as it he brought it to his mouth. It was fine stuff, that was to be sure….. He could hate a lot of things about this city but that didn’t mean he could deny the quality of this stuff even if it did bother him. He gave a quizzical brow to Lancaster when he asked his question, in truth Kreig had no inkling of the Rujaro.. probably in passing but the name spurred no memories or knowledge.

He shook his head to the Fist before setting down his glass gently on the table as he turned to him fully “Well, sorry then…afraid I’m about to discomfort you” It was an interesting name, Rujaro, it sounded something like those tribes in the old stories a tale spinner would bring up about faraway lands or some sort of beast in the same vein. Lancaster clearly showed his distaste for these so-called ‘bastards’ and one that sounded a bit more personal, or at least his opinion of them came from some sort of experience with whatever they were.

“So, again sorry for discomforting dear gent, but who or what are the Rujaro?”

x
Feeel thy wrath!!!!

"You gents best be careful, I'm feelin' mighty rabid right now... and your the only ones around to bite"
Kreig Messer
The guy in crazy town.

Words: 883597
Joined roleplay: January 22nd, 2012, 7:55 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Vice on October 8th, 2014, 8:14 pm

There was a distinct darkness in the face of Alfred Lancaster when the mention of needing to enlighten Kreig was placed. The Rujaro were enigmatic, they were dangerous. But most of all, they were despised. More than once, the Gray Fist had faced the mysterious terrorists of the swamplands and bore the scars of their strikes. More than once he had lost a perfectly good mercenary ally to their guerilla tactics. And thus, when he spoke, it was in a deep sigh that permeated through his entire being.

"The Rujaro are a menace to the city of Kenash. They live in our swamps. They steal our slaves. They sneak into our city and strike us with stealth. Some claim the Rujaro to not be a threat, but they have never lost allies to their arrows."

The scowl that materialized upon the Gray Fist's lips was genuine and resentful. It was vicious and intent filled. He wanted the Rujaro dead, and it was obvious to anyone who looked at him.

"Though it is with the decimation of a once localized Zith colony that earned me my titles in this city, it is the Rujaro that I hate the most. The Zith can be forgiven, for they fight on instinct. The Rujaro fight their battle out of a desire of revenge. Escaped slaves that strike at the hands of any given Dynast in the city. Their plight is, of course, pitiable, but their means are deplorable."

Lancaster took several steps forward to take another glass of rum from the slave, paying her yet again and quickly draining the glass before he went on to speak to Kreig once more,

"I understand that you're not one of us. Perhaps even your feelings in regards to slavery are more towards sympathy with the Rujaro. But, I implore for you to reconsider that siding. You're a good man, Kreig. I can see it in the ferocity of your fight. I'd rather have you at my back then have to end your life on the battlefield some day. Will you help me track down a raiding party of Rujaro? I know where they'll be. And we'll be waiting."

Vice
Pick yer' poison~

Words: 318086
Joined roleplay: March 29th, 2014, 2:36 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Plotnotes

Postby Kreig Messer on October 8th, 2014, 9:25 pm

Kreig was surprised when he saw such a look on Lancaster’s face, what he thought was a simple annoyance for the man seemed to be far more than that. It reminded him of the hatred he had felt for those who had harmed Fallon, the resentment he had felt for the parent who let drink take him and neglect the welfare of his children and the broken mentality of his wife….. This was the type of hatred that no man forgot and no man would forgive. It was something that was only reinforced when Lancaster opened his mouth, his face contorting to a dark rage that Kreig found himself shivering at.

So these Rujaro folk are escaped slaves who’re fighting back against their masters, can’t say I blame them….probably be doin’ the same as them if I ever ended up in their shoes’ He admitted to himself, Kreig very much appreciated his freedom, any true child of Sunberth did and despite being far from his home city he still considered himself a true son in that regard.’ But….if what Lancaster here says is true, then they’re no better than the guys that mess with Syliras from time to time…. Getting good people hurt, good knights dying and friends and families losing loved ones as collateral. Can’t say I support that, not at all” Kreig looked at the glass of rum of his then suddenly downed it and gently slammed the glass against the counter they’d been leaning on.

“Yer damn right my pity lies with them Rujaro you speak of, I damn well won’t lie about that…. Especially since I know a good portion of these slaves had honest to god lives only before they got a brand on their face turning them into ‘things’ to be owned rather than people” He admitted, though he kept his voice down as a commotion wouldn’t be doing anyone good, a look of disgust was evident on Kreig’s face, his raw emotions on display “ And I know it’s a no brainer that some of them must’ve been Syliran citizens too, so even my duty as a squire of Syliras is pretty damn sympathetic to them” He needed to be honest with Lancaster, if the man thought him a good one then he best hear his honesty about “It actually shocks me a man like you is willing to work in a city like this, petch you look like one of the nicest guys in this entire town, believe me when I say I’d like you more in Sunberth than here”

He raised the back of his left arm to show him his freeborn mark “ You see this? This little thing here is something I’d carve off my flesh if given the chance, this here is one of the biggest petched up things about this city. I actually need this to be considered a citizen otherwise I’d be fair game outside the city and even fairer game after thirty days pass. Honestly, instead of pitiable with the Rujaro you should have said sympathized, you wouldn’t have petched up bastards like these running around if these Dynasts didn’t depend on slaves so much and treated them more like actual people.” He scratched the back of his as he began to breathe deeply through his nose and released it out of his mouth, trying to calm his emotions.

“So yeah, believe me I have little love for Kenash. But….if the Rujaro are as you say, if their acts are deplorable than innocent people must’ve gotten in the crossfire, so that removes some sympathy for them” He admitted as he crossed his arms and stood straight, displaying that honor that could only be found in a warrior “If they’re just freeing slaves and killin’ in self defence than I admit I would have given you a flat out no, but if its further than that…” He sighed, not liking what he was about to say but it was a sense of duty that guided him “…Then I’m inclined to say yes. Syliras had tasted people who go far like them before, and those types need to put down.”

x
Feeel thy wrath!!!!

"You gents best be careful, I'm feelin' mighty rabid right now... and your the only ones around to bite"
Kreig Messer
The guy in crazy town.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal

Postby Vice on October 23rd, 2014, 4:32 am

"That's an incorrect assessment. You speak as if most of these slaves ever had lives to begin with. This city has stood for long enough that the vast majority of the slaves were born and bred as such. The rest were sold to the city. Kenash does not actively go out and seek its slave trade unless there is an extraordinarily special case."

The Gray Fist's response was not entirely truthful in the most direct sense of the word, but it was the opinion that he had taken to having and by far the most common scenario in the city of Kenash.

"The Rujaro are the some of those that come to face the worst of what Kenash has to offer. Of the bodies that are recovered, many of the slaves that take to the cause of the Rujaro are Rajor and Radacke. Yet, these Dynasties are not the ones commonly hit. I can not sympathize with people who lash out foolishly and do not orchestrate a proper offensive against their true enemy."

The man shook his head, quite unwilling to discuss the matter at length. He shrugged in indifference at Messer's divulging that he disliked the city of Kenash, for it mattered little. To help the city of Kenash was not to love it, but instead to serve it. Kenash had its rules and they afforded Alfred a life that he could call luxurious, rich in the comforts of the world. There was integrity in his devotion to the city that had taken him in and allowed him to make a name for himself. It was the hand of discipline that Wysar granted him, the conviction to make a home out of this place, that brought him to overlook some of the dubious practices that others found to be atrocious.

"Keep in mind, that despite how much you can claim to hate slavery, the food that you eat, the life that you live are all because of the labour set forth by the 'property' that you speak of. Slavery is the reality that we cannot deny.

Anyway, most of the Dynasties do not treat their slaves roughly. If you want to address the ones that do, you need not live in the swamps to do it, but live in the city and earn your right to speak."

And with that, Alfred Lancaster was nearly done speaking,

"Meet me at Draer plantation tomorrow. At the sixth bell."

And with that, Lancaster left.

Vice
Pick yer' poison~

Words: 318086
Joined roleplay: March 29th, 2014, 2:36 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Plotnotes

Postby Kreig Messer on October 23rd, 2014, 5:46 am

Kreig listened to Lancasters words and found himself annoyed, did it make any improvement that most of the slaves were were bred to be slaves made it ten times worse? They were trained monkeys and nothing more if he thought about it like that. Lancaster could preach about how much it is a fact it made no difference that it was still a despicable thing "Then isn't an even greater sin that they had no lives to begin with?" He mutterd silently, the only lives to be had was in service, to be trained to serve and treated as posessions.....how was that any better?! Lancaster never said it was any better.... clearly disdained by the subjects much as Kreig was and Kreig regretted that he had hin talk about it. But freedom is supposed to be something given at Birth....that all should have regardless of the circumstances and to hear that these slaves have to earn that incredible gift as some sort of rare prize, perhaps not even familiar with such a concept ' That's just....tragic '

Kreig's eyes furrowed when he mentioned the Radackes, he did not know of the Rajor but from the sounds of it they were just as bad. If most of them came from the Radackes and Rajor then why the PETCH are the families not making them clean up their act?! If they di try then they are doing a poor job at it! If they aren't than they are just guilty as them for their inaction! Kreig's grip tigthened as he glared at Lancaster ' YOU have the right to speak I bet! Why the hell don't you do it?! people seem to like you well enough!!' He wanted to say, but as Lancaster's words came to an end, so did this conversation apparently as he was now left with inly a time and place...

Left with only Lancaster's back as he walked away, Kreig turned into the opposite direction and made his way back to the Complex. Lancaster's words still.in his head....

"This isn't right" He muttered, his thoughts resounding how much the situation irked him, he was to fight extremist rebel slaves for families who treat people like posessions "No matter how much you say the other families are better in their treatment....the fact that lives are taken as slaves even at birth, never know freedom and perhaps live a life where the accomplishments only reflect on the families own glory with only recognition of the slave who did it' Would it make it a mercy to not know a freedom they should have?' He wondered as he walked down the path, ignoring the odd stares he recieved for the bruises on his face.

Lancaster was right, the food he ate and the items built were by the hands of slaves....and that made it all the worse, what '[I] A reality of Kenash of perhaps....but 'reality' changes, Lancaster. I can't deny it but I sure as petch won't accept it, I will gods damn change it and make these families eat the shyke you just spewed at me" With that ended Kreig's day and he slept till the next... Oblivion awaited and he just had the right sized fist to make it shut the petch up!
x
Feeel thy wrath!!!!

Kreig Messer
The guy in crazy town.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal

Postby Khida on April 5th, 2015, 11:39 pm

Kreig Messer

Skill Points
Boxing +3
Endurance +2
Observation +1
Philosophy +3
Unarmed Combat +2
  • Alfred Lancaster: the Gray Fist of Alfred Lancaster: hates and despises the Rujaro
    Kenash
  • Kenash: built on the backs of slaves
  • Kenash location: Lantern Square
  • Kenash slavery: born and bred, sometimes bought
  • Maathias' Selection: a quality rum of Kenash
  • Rujaro: escaped slaves and guerilla fighters of Kenash's swamps
  • Rujaro: often from Rajor and Radacke plantations
  • Philosophy: the right to freedom
  • Philosophy: the sin of oppressive control
  • Tactics: feint a punch, launch a kick

Notes

I enjoyed reading this. It was a nice, straightforward confrontation -- short and to the point. Or to the fist, as it were. ;) I also found it interesting to read about Kreig's conflicts with the system of Kenash -- and I'm left wondering, did that job ever actually go through?

I haven't graded many threads with this style of combat to date, so please do let me know if you think I missed anything. Also, please edit your request to show this thread has been graded.
Spring threads: 2/5 .. | .. Season Goals .. | .. GradersMaxed skill: Observation.
Khida
Player

Words: 574944
Joined roleplay: April 14th, 2012, 11:14 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 4
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)