[Wind Reach] Off for the long hunt (Closed)

A run-of-the-mill hunting trip goes horribly awry one afternoon late into the trip -- Enter hungry bear

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The westernmost tip of Kalea, Wind Reach is home to an amazing group of people and their giant eagle mounts. [Lore]

[Wind Reach] Off for the long hunt (Closed)

Postby Renol on October 15th, 2010, 11:43 pm

OOC :
Hello all,
Anyone can join in this thread. I'd like to see a few Endal and a few hunters, if possible. If we can't get anotehr Endal or two into the thread, there will only really be able to be two people, seeing as Fereo only has one extra seat.

But anyway, join if you would like. I am going to try to make this an interesting and exciting hunt, with a couple twists.

10th of Fall, 510 AV

Renol looked to Fereo as the bird looked down from the arc he was perched on, watching his rider check over the equipment that was going with them. The eagle’s eyes scanned all of the items carefully as Renol placed them all out on the floor of the platform to double check and make sure that everything was in order. Just like every other ‘long hunt’ they had gone on, they performed this task before they departed, checking over everything while they waited for any other riders or hunters who were going to go with them. Renol hoped that a few would take notice to the announcements that he had placed throughout the common rooms and the aeries for other people to attend the hunt. Both he and Fereo liked to have as many go along as possible. First off, it meant that they were able to bring back more food, which served to help out the city as a whole. But it also meant that there were more people to talk to and ride along with. It was always good to have more people there. The more eyes the better when it came to hunting, and camping for that matter. One never knew who they would run into in the wild, especially when they were asleep at their campsite, thinking that everything was calm and normal. Such a thing hadn’t happened before, but that didn’t mean that Renol was going to let his guard down when away from the city.

”How many do you think will show up?” Fereo’s voice came to his mind as the bird carefully watched Renol check his bow’s string strength. Renol shrugged slightly,” We’ll have to see now, won’t we. I can’t read minds, nor would I ever really desire to.” The bird ruffled the feathers around his neck slightly and the tall crest of iridescent black feathers glimmered in the in the bright light that filtered down from the open sky above them,” Most likely no one will come. Just like last time. Was a meager little haul that we brought back last time, huh? Probably won’t be able to do much better this time.” Renol set the bow back down against the quiver of arrows that rested on the floor of the platform he sat on,” That may be, but it was still fun, and it was still nice to get out of the city for a little while and out into the woods. Wasn’t it?” Fereo cocked his head to the side, silently agreeing with his rider who went back to checking the gear. The tent was packed up and ready to be lashed to the front of the saddle that Fereo wore. Renol had put on the double saddle in case there was another hunter who needed a ride. Renol didn’t want to carry too much out because that would detract from how much they were able to carry back, so he tried to pack as light as possible. The tent was a necessity, though. But he only packed enough provisions to last for the first day of riding, though. They’d set down and came next to a stream for water and there was plenty enough small game running around to feed a man and his eagle for the night. Renol packed up everything into the saddle bags once more, arranging it perfectly for optimal storage. The two bags would attach to latches on the saddle with it was time to leave. For now he left them off to leave Fereo as unburdened as possible.

Renol stood up once everything was packed, looking around the Courtyard once more to see if anyone else had shown up for the departure. He was starting to wonder if Fereo had been correct or not. Though the eagle didn’t voice it, Renol could tell the bird was sure that he was right. No one would show and it would be another hunting trip with just the two of them. Though, as much as Fereo liked to make that the trip bothered him, he knew the bird liked the journey and the hunt, even if it was just the two of them. The good thing was that the lookouts had said that it looked like there would be good weather for them, even if it was starting to get colder these days. Renol double checked the straps to his katinu. He didn't have the hood on the coat currently, but it was in one of the front pouches of the saddle if he needed it. His hair was tied back into a long braid that went just more than halfway down his back. Under the coat he had his bryda and a pair of tall, thick riding/hunting boots laced tight around his legs. He was ready to be off, but he figured he would wait a little while longer to see if anyone else would show. " Now you realise that you'll have to pla nice if we get a hunter who needs a ride, right? I know you won't like it, but it will help for the trip. And don't worry, I'll make it up to you." Fereo looked down to the Inarta, his peircing gaze showing his distaste of the idea as he thought it over, trying to get Renol to retract the statement. But after a few moments, the bird looked back up, looking for others," Fine. But I'm guessing no one will show up anyway, so there is no reason for me to get upset." Renol just shook his head and sat down on the floor, waiting for anyone else.
Last edited by Renol on October 21st, 2010, 5:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Renol
The Be All and Endal...

Words: 68637
Joined roleplay: October 9th, 2010, 2:07 am
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

[Wind Reach] Off for the long hunt (Open!)

Postby Sairque on October 16th, 2010, 3:11 am

OOCI'm so glad you made a hunting thread! I was actually in the middle of writing up a first post for a group one!

The Wind Eagle came first, coming over the walls of the courtyard with little ado and landing with a sharp crack of wings. His dark eyes pinned the young rider and Fereo, a dip of his head to each, respectively. Like Fereo, he was equipped with a saddle that could accommodate a second rider, as well as the gear of two people. It already had one person's equipment tied on. Cold weather gear was lightly lashed down to provide ease of access. His muted black feathers glimmered in streaks of red, and abruptly, his head swung around to the East entrance of the courtyard.

A woman strode through the arches, her leather boots scuffling against the sun warmed stones as she jaunted down the steps and across the expanse toward Renol. Her white bryda and matching top were bright under the sun, while a dark bow bisected her body. The quiver was already lashed in a convenient spot on her saddle. At least, it made sense that she was the one that belonged to the Eagle. Indeed, her hand reached up to give an affectionate pat to his wing as she walked by.

No beads adorned her hair, no bright and flashy scarves, just one thick braid trailing down her spine to the swell of her rear. Having entered after he had been sitting for a while, she wasn't privy to any of the conversation, if it was even verbal on Renol's part. She didn't know her appearance was taking a huge worry off Renol's back. If she had, she would have made a better quip than "Sitting on the job is bad form, you know." White teeth flashed in a grin, and she offered a hand to pull the man to his feet. "I'm guessing we'll be waiting a bit while everyone double and triple checks their gear before showing up," said with the offhand knowledge gained from experiencing the pre-hunt wait. "I'm sure my sister will show up, at least." Can't have one without the other.

Renol was familiar to her, they had a small population, and every Endal knew every other one. Renol was a good hand, well, honestly, Sai was drawn to any Endal who waited for the bond. She had something in common with someone who spent their time working on themselves instead of sucking up to the Eagles. And Fereo. She remembered hearing of the determined young men that dragged themselves up to his aerie, risking far more than most people usually did. It was a good fit, a picky bird and a patient man. She was biased, of course.

"Tell me, Renol, are you planning on sticking close to the mountain this trip to find what we can find, or heading out for something specific and exotic?" she asked with a crooked smile, knowing his penchant for long solo hunts to add variety to their meals. Apparently, flight leader status or not, she had no interest in taking charge. It was just going to be a pleasant excursion. Or, at least, it would be nice if nothing went wrong and it was pleasant from start to finish. Okay, so she was more there to insure that nothing stupid went wrong than for a nice camping trip. Yes, she nonchalantly looked over Renol and Fereo to make sure they had everything, and yes she was hoping that no idiots showed up, and yes she was getting all sorts of 'helpful tips' from Catabasis.
Last edited by Sairque on October 16th, 2010, 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Oneday I wished upon a star
And woke up where the clouds are far
Behind me.
Where troubles melt like lemon drops
Away above the chimney tops
That's where you'll find me."
Sairque
It's so empty in here

Words: 424341
Joined roleplay: October 7th, 2010, 12:15 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Aidara on October 16th, 2010, 6:00 am

A final dip of her hands into the basin of lukewarm water, to wash off the lather of soap and a final splash onto the back of her neck and Aidara straightened. Snatching up a towel from beside the washstand, the woman carefully dried her hands, leaving her neck to air-dry. It was always such a refreshing feeling, right after a wash, which was probably one of the main reasons she did so a dozen times a day.

Tossing the towel down, Addy reached up to pat down red curls as they attempted to escape her braid, which was intricate today. Interwoven with a dark green ribbon, the braid zig-zagged from either side of her head before parting into two separate braids at the bottom, one falling over each shoulder. Unruly curls pulled free and fell around her face, although she thought it looked rather nice. Stooping, Addy reached down beside the wash stand and retrieved her leather boots, plopping down onto a bench to pull them snugly up and over her knees. Her leather bracers were next, though her left arm sported a complete leather forearm guard. She wore a simple vinati and bryda, both the same deep green as the ribbon in her hair. Always one to be meticulously clean and look nice, Addy was finally ready for the day.

A luxurious stretch arched her back, her arms raised high above her head as she did so. It was one of those early morning, just-having-woken-up stretches that felt absolutely amazing. After a moment, Aidara rose to her feet and began to move about her room, straightening this and that almost absently. It was a very compulsive action. Everything had to be in it's place. Boots clicked against the stone as she made her circuit, finally making it to where she stored her medicines. At this she paused, a slender finger tracing her lips as she eyed her collection thoughtfully. Almost as subconsciously as she did her straightening, Aidara rubbed the elegant tattoo like image on the inside of her left elbow. It was in the shape of an endless knot, and while it didn't look like anything natural, it all the same looked as it absolutely belonged on her skin. The Gnosis that she possessed left her with little need of the herbal remedies that she currently poured over. However, Aidara seemed to almost enjoy learning the normal methods of medicine. For one sometimes took for granted what is handed to you, and she liked to remind herself that her abilities aren't the only way.

Slender fingers darted out and plucked bottles one at a time, seemingly at random. She laid them all carefully in a small leather pouch, which she tied closed with a leather thong when she was done, which was then tucked into the waist of her bryda. She was ready now.

Boots marked a quick staccato against the stone as Aidara strutted from her room, down the hallways towards the Aerie. Fingers fluttered in waves as she passed those she knew, which was everyone, a brilliant smile upon her lips. Stepping outside, a rosy color sprang to life in her cheeks as a brisk wind tugged at her clothing and hair. Addy took a deep breath, closing her eyes and enjoying the freshness of being outside on such a beautiful day.

Her gaze swung around the courtyard until it landed on where Sairque and Renol stood chatting. Her hand lifted in a wave, which went unnoticed. A sigh and she jogged over to the pair, slipping an arm through Renol's with comfortable familiarity, green eyes flicking between the two before she politely intrupted.

"Excuse me, my loves, I'm sorry to intrude... Sai, have you seen my bow and pack?"
Last edited by Aidara on November 5th, 2010, 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aidara
The "i" is silent

Words: 946840
Joined roleplay: October 6th, 2010, 5:20 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 10
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Wind Reach Seasonal  Challenge (1)
Power Fork (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Renol on October 17th, 2010, 3:33 am

OOCFor now, I’m just gonna kinda self mod through the beginning. Nothing too important will happen until I get guidance from the domain STs.
Both Inarta and Wind Eagle looked up at the same time at the sound of the second Wind Eagle descending from the open sky above them. Renol knew Catabasis when he saw him, but was surprised when he didn’t see Sairque on the birds back as he descended lower to perch on an arch next to where Fereo was sitting. Renol and Fereo each returned the silent nod of greeting from the eagle. Renol closed his eyes for a second, straining to try and hear where Sairque would be coming from. He heard the sound of her boots against the stone only a little bit before she spoke. He was going to have to work on that more. Fereo had looked over to see her coming as soon as Catabasis had betrayed where she would enter from, watching the woman approach. Renol heard the bird chuckling in his head I love it when she braids her hair like that. Renol shot an evil look to the bird for a second, replying back inaudibly,Quiet you...

Renol’s face slipped into his signature sly smile as he looked up to Sairque, taking her offered hand and raising to his feet once more. He chuckled slightly at her jesting chide, the low sound faintly echoing off the far walls like some distant thunder,” Well if more people would be on time, I wouldn’t be inclined to take a break while waiting for them. Any longer and you have found me asleep against one of the saddlebags.” He looked around the courtyard once more at her question about waiting longer,” I’d like to. You know how I am. I like to get as many people together as possible for these things. I’m sure there will be a few more. And here Fereo here thought that it’d just be me and him again this time. I think he was just hoping to get a lighter saddle. Poor bird must be getting old…” He winked playfully to the other Inarta.

Renol was glad to have the flight leader and her mount with them on the hunt. Catabasis had as keen eyes as any eagle and Sairque was pretty good with a bow. So they would lend a good hand into the hunt. And, so far, Sairque had always been good company to have. Renol seemed to be able to get along well with her. He respected her, for many reasons. And he was impressed to see someone else who hadn’t gone off to seemingly beg an Eagle to bond with them. She, like him, had always known that they would be bonded to an eagle at some point. Fereo always seemed to be making innuendos inside his riders head at things the woman would say. Not that Renol minded, really. The mental images always brought a smile to his face. He’d be the first to admit that he was more than a little attracted to her. But he pushed off such thoughts for the time being. There’d be enough time to think of that during the flight. He looked back over to her, thinking on her question for a moment,” Well, I had been planning on taking a longer trip out, further away than usual. About two days ride there and back. But I’d mainly want to try and get bear and elk this time, I think. It seems that those two always seem to be more pleasing then anything else.”

Renol had been too busy talking to Sairque to hear Aidara come up behind him until she had looped her arm in with his as he stood there. He perked an eyebrow as he looked to her, smiling faintly for a second and shaking his head slightly,” No intrusion, it’s always good to have you around.” . After a second, though, he unwound his arms from hers, walking over to his packs. He did still need to get his bow and quiver strapped to Fereo. His saddle had a sheath for his bow to slip into on one side, and the quiver strapped to the other side, right next to the scabbard that held his wicked looking talon sword. It would be time to head out before too much longer. They waited too long and they wouldn’t be able to get as far as he would like to before they had to make camp for the night.
Renol
The Be All and Endal...

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Sairque on October 17th, 2010, 4:48 pm

Her friendly smile blossomed, becoming more engaged in him at his response to her greeting. What a gem. A man that could do his job and make it entertaining for her. Most Riders would be stressed beyond belief at this point, heading an extended hunt, waiting for people who were becoming progressively later. Having a flight leader looking over their shoulder. This should be good, her confidence in him was growing. Maybe it would be good to have some trials and tribulations in the coming days, test out this calm of his.

"Poor bird must be getting old." he said, with a wink that arched Sai's eyebrow. Now she had her own sly smile. Sai's yellow gaze strayed over to Fereo and then shifted to Catabasis, who was already warning her to keep her mouth shut.

Don't even say it, Sairque, Catabasis ordered, not bothering with a threat. It was the lack of clear consequences that informed Sai that there would be repercussions. Apparently, someone was a little touchy about his physical capabilities. Couldn't be age, he was only fifteen. Must just be his laziness, though he had stopped complaining about hauling Addy around, she was little.

Well, there were more important things to do than give their trusty avian friends a hard time. Bear and elk would be appreciated, the lowland animals were rare treats. Especially with winter coming up, hopefully more riders would feel obligated to go on this hunt. Food wasn't exactly the easiest thing to come by sealed in a mountain and blockaded by snow and ice. Even with the various alternative production means they had come by over the years.

"Good choices-"

"Excuse me loves..." Addy interrupted.

Sai's eyes lingered on Renol and Addy's arms hooked together like they were going to go for a stroll along the cliffs. Then he went to double check things, and Sai pulled the dark bow from her shoulder and held it up

"I already snagged it and your quiver, I'm gonna load them. I don't know where your pack is, though, I left it for you to pack," she pointed out glibly, smirking a bit. Indeed, there was only her bundle of gear on Catabasis. "You have time, though, seeing as how no one else has showed up," there was a hint of displeasure in her voice in the end. People should be taking more responsibility this close to winter.

They really couldn't wait too much longer before setting off. Sai glanced at the sky, the clock was ticking and the weather good. Like Renol, Sai went to her Eagle and slipped her sister's bow into her own sheath. Then she pulled down her cold weather gear. Bryda were tucked into her tall boots, the well worn coat shrugged on, mittens stuffed into her pockets.
Last edited by Sairque on October 17th, 2010, 8:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Behind me.
Sairque
It's so empty in here

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Aidara on October 17th, 2010, 7:52 pm

Normally Aidara would have taken Renol's departure as a personal insult, but something held back her initial reaction this time. Something was going on here...Blinking in confusion, she turned her head to follow him with her eyes as he walked away. Had she said something to offend him? Maybe he just didn't like to be touched...Or maybe he was irritated she had interrupted his conversation with her sister. What could have been so important that....That's when it came to her. How could she be so dense? A small knowing smile turning up the corners of her lips. Moving her head only slightly back towards her sister, Addy glanced at Sai quickly from the corner of her eye. Her sister stared wistfully at Renol's retreating back. Well, that's how Aidara saw it, in reality Sai was staring kind of blankly in the direction of where Renol was heading, no trace of any kind of wistfulness on her face, at all. But her sister was usually a stick in the mud about everything, so Addy had to learn how to read the minute changes in her face. And her eyes held a sparkle that wasn't usually there. AH-HA! She knew it, a wistful sparkle in those yellow eyes. Jumping to many conclusions in a matter of seconds. Before she let herself get too out of hand, like mentally planning Sai and Renol's wedding, a full smile spread across her face. Lifting hand to cover her mouth in attempt to hide said smile, she turned fully back towards her sister, catching Sai's yellow eyes with her green ones.

She felt the surge through her connection, of happiness, amusement, and a pinch of interest, confirming her hypothesis. Aidara knew there was nothing she could have said or done that would eek such a strong emotion as interest from her sister. And there was only one other person in the courtyard.

"Good choice, Sister dear, Good choice." It was only then, as she stared at her sister with that smug, knowing smile, that Addy buckled down to business.

"Thanks for grabbing my bow, I appreciate it. I'm glad you have it because I couldn't find it absolutely anywhere. I guess I'll have to go hunt down my bag, since I thought it was with my bow. We shouldn't need much, right? 'Cause I didn't pack much at all..." Addy turned away, to head back out of the courtyard, when she paused. Hesitating, she moved back over to her sisters side and took her by the arm, drawing her away from Renol even though he was out of earshot already.

"Sai if I....when we're out there, on the hunt...with my bow, I...." Her brows were deeply furrowed, an extreme look of concern replacing her formally amused expression. The words that she struggled so plainly with were hard for Aidara to spit out, as if they kept getting stuck on her tongue. Taking a deep breath Addy averted her gaze from her sisters, clasping her hands behind her back and kicking a the cobblestones with the toe of her boot. "I...You might have to kill for me, Sai. If my arrow doesn't kill immediately..." She left it hanging, her hands spread in a helpless gesture before her right hand fell to absently trace the mark on the inside of her left elbow, as she often did. Most of the time, Addy didn't even notice she was touching her mark. It happened most when she was worried or unhappy. Not that tracing the pattern did anything in particular, it was more of a developed tic. "And you'd have to do it fast...If it doesn't die before my Gnosis kicks in..." Addy shuddered at the thought of the physical and emotional pain she would suffer if she ignored her impulse to heal. Not only that, but she didn't know if she could ignore the impulse. And something about healing all their prey on their hunting trip seemed a little counter-productive...

"I'm sorry. I don't want to try anymore....I mean, I know we've done this before, and I was able to shoot to kill but....I...don't want too. Not this time. Please, Sai, you have to understand how hard it is for me. I mean, if it means killing or losing out on the kill, obviously I will...I don't know why I was chosen. Maybe one day, when I have my second or third mark, I can do more than ease muscles and heal cuts. Maybe then I'll be useful...Right now, I'm a hindrance." Pleading green eyes raised back to meet her sisters gaze, begging for understanding and acceptance. Addy stood there for a moment or two, fidgeting anxiously as she waited for her sisters reply.

It was then that she saw her pack, over by where Renol was tending his gear and Fereo. "I'll be right back, let me just grab that..." Was offered to Sai as she jogged quickly off in the other direction. As she passed Catabasis, a pat was offered to his beak, a small smile into the birds eye. When she passed Fereo, however, she gave him a bit of space as she circled around him to where he pack lay against the wall. Still, she smiled at the eagle and met his eye. She never touched any of the other Endal's birds, only her sisters.

"Sorry, Renol... Excuse me, let me grab that..." She stooped and snatched up her back, flipping open the top to make sure everything was still there. Toiletries, check. Her gloves, leather wrist protector and coat, check. Inventory done, Addy took the opportunity to throw in her two cents before returning to her sister. Reaching out, she gently touched Renol on the forearm, to gather his attentions.

"Be careful with her." Delicate brows wiggled in amusement and she smiled coyly as she placed a pat on his arm, giggling as she turned to trot back to where Sai stood waiting.
Last edited by Aidara on November 5th, 2010, 3:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Aidara
The "i" is silent

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Kovac on October 18th, 2010, 11:09 am

Kovac slung the talon sword across his back, shouldered his bundled gear and grabbled his shortbow and quiver. The half-blooded Inarta took a quick glance around his new room in Shayth's aerie before slipping through the door and making is way towards the meeting grounds. He did not think Shayth was too pleased when he told her he was going on a long hunt the day after he moved in, but the archer had already decided to join the hunting trip before their arrangement was made. It was a good opportunity to get out of Mount Skyinarta, besides, it could help to throw suspicion off what was probably obviously going on between the Rider and the Avora.

It was no secret that the mongrel archer was not well liked among the Rider's, his grudge against the Endal as a whole evident in his behavior. But a tenuous friendship with Amon and his tryst with Shayth had shaken his prejudice, and Kovac had reluctantly admitted that perhaps not all Riders were arrogant and abusive. Renol himself had never slighted the Vantha-Inarta, at least to his face, convincing the archer to become a part of the hunt. Despite his personal feelings, Kovac was a professional when it came to his duties, and would behave accordingly for the good of Wind Reach.

He finally strode through a large archway into the posted meeting area. The archer immediately saw the large Wind Eagles. With a reverent nod, he acknowledged the Endal's mounts. Though Kovac was not overly fond of people, he honored Wind Reach's great raptors. Strolling towards the center of the clearing, the Avora recognized the golden-eyed Renol. He knew little of the tattooed Rider, other than his father too was a bowyer, and that he had hunting and archery training not unlike his own.

His gaze shifted to Sairque's unmistakable yellow eyes. A flight leader? Renol's little hunt had attracted some attention. Kovac knew enough about the woman to know that, despite her slight frame, Sairque was as volatile and impassioned as any Inarta could be, at least that was her reputation.

Finally Kovac turned towards the darker-haired Inarta. Similar in stature to Sairque, Kovac was struck by the similarities in features shared by both women. This girl was not as familiar to the Avora, though he knew he had seen her handle falcons before. He nodded to all three before speaking.

"Sorry I am late, we can skip the pleasantries and head out if you wish." His tone was not exactly apologetic, but matter-of-fact. "With whom will I ride?"
Last edited by Kovac on November 8th, 2010, 12:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kovac
Snarky Mongrel

Words: 534544
Joined roleplay: March 1st, 2010, 7:19 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Postby Renol on October 18th, 2010, 5:48 pm

Renol patted Fereo as he strapped the last items into place, smiling at some unknown comment between the two of them. Renol shook his head slowly for a second as he reached down to pick up his small rucksack that would carry the small things he would need. This sack was what prevented him from simply slinging the bow over his shoulder as they flew. He closed the flaps and latched them closed as Addy came by, reaching for her pack that was sitting next to his. He didn’t think much of it until er hand came to rest on his arm gently. He looked over to her quizzically for a second.

"Be careful with her."

Renol’s brow furrowed slightly at her comment, taking him a second to grasp the meaning of the comment. But as she turned and walked away, a look of realization dawned over his face slowly, like he had just realised some great knowledge. Oh snap... Renol’s eyes flashed over to Fereo where he sat Shut it. But the smile that was spread across his face egged the bird on She knows. You’re that damn transparent, you know it? I mean I know fledglings that put on a better poker face then you. Ugh... you’re hopeless. Renol shook his head again slowly, standing up and fixing his katinu for a second so it sat flat against him Fereo, my friend, I thought you’d given up hope on me a long time ago.

Fereo was about to say something back when another person came walking into the courtyard. Both Renol and the Eagle looked over to see the newcomer. Renol recognized the man as Kovac. He was one of the better archers that Renol knew of, a good shot with the bow and skilled at hunting. He’d been on other hunting parties that Renol hadn’t been on, but Renol had heard good things about him. It would be good to get some firsthand experience to see how good he was. The Endal smiled at the quick displacement of pleasantries by the man, nodding a little. He was pretty straight forward, and Renol liked that. No excuses or reasons why he had been late. There was no need for that, anyway. Renol waved him over towards Fereo,” You’ll be riding on Fereo along with me. I have his word that he’ll behave himself. I assume that Sairque and Aidara will both be riding Catabasis. So go ahead and strap down your belongings and we’ll be headed out here soon.” Fereo watched the newcomer carefully, trying to size him up. The bird was going to behave, but he didn’t have to like it. Renol was sure that he’d have to deal with this later, but the bird was going to have to get over his social stigma sooner or later. There were going to be many other times when he’d be carrying a second rider to the hunt.

The double saddle for Fereo was of an odd design, made so that the rear rider could ride facing the front of the back. It was set that way for hunting from the bird’s back. It wasn’t done often, but was tremendous fun when they could pull it off. The second seat faced backwards so that as the eagle flew past a target, or a herd of targets, the rear rider would get a longer opportunity to take a shot. There were tie downs for gear on both sides of the saddle for the rear rider to stow any gear. Renol let Kovac get his things strapped down and walked over to the middle of the group. He spoke loud enough that everyone could hear him," We’ll be heading out here in a few minutes. Make sure everything is tried down tight. We’ll be riding for two days to a hunting ground that Fereo and I found. It’s a good spot and always has good game. The animals will be getting ready for hibernation soon, so they’ll be more active looking for food. Unfortunately, with the bears in the area, that leaves room for attacks. The bears are hungry and we might just look like food. So we’ll always been to be on our toes when hunting. Fereo and I have a good camping site mapped out that we usually stop at. With any luck we’ll get there before it gets too dark so we can still set up camp and get some good food and sleep for the night. Any questions? If not, let’s saddle up and get out of here. Kovac, you can go head and get on first. I’ll step up afterwards” Renol waited for anyone to ask anything they might. Fereo leaned down slightly next to Kovac, almost bowing to allowing the man easy access to the second seat of the saddle. That was what Fereo didn’t like the most. It was as if he was bowing to another person for them to be able to get into the saddle. And he hated bowing for anyone. He only tolerated it for Renol.
Renol
The Be All and Endal...

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Sairque on October 18th, 2010, 9:16 pm

Sai, standing with arms crossed, her expression infinitely more closed off, returned Kovac's brief gaze. He was good at what he did, or so she had heard. They would find out just how much his attitude got in the way of things. Those were pretty much the only things she knew of him, that he liked his hunts and that he was as likely to bring down the mood of the entire party as keep them entertained. The flight leader was predicting smooth sailing from the team Renol had managed to attract. All final judgments of the party would be suspended until the end of the hunt, so Kovac wouldn't be getting the short end of the stick with her unless he made some grievous mistake.

Oblivious to the seeds her perceptive sister was working hard to sow, both with her and the other Endal, Sai listened to the greeting he gave Kovac. A slight nod was given, her gaze including both men, when the riding arrangements of Catabasis were brought up. The massive Eagle had hauled Addy's butt around so often that he felt just as familiar with her as his actual rider.

On the upside, Renol has Fereo so you will never have to worry about asking me to haul him around, Catabasis cut into her thoughts so rudely, earning a dark look for his jovial tone. Addy told him to be careful with you when she went over to grab her bag. Do you think she was meaning it as a protective gesture toward you or a warning for him about you? The large bird was laying down, feet tucked underneath and one folded wing held up like an umbrella so Addy had enough room to climb up and tie her gear down. His head was turned so that one yellow eye was watching Sai closely.

I fully believe that both you and my meddling sister are jumping to conclusions, he hasn't given any signs that he's interested in any way. Another scathing look at her bird and she moved under his wing to double check Addy's work. Now she quietly answered her sister's earlier request.

"Don't worry about it. I'll take care of it," she stated with finality on the hunting aspect. Either she would being doing a lot of throat slicing to expedite death, or she would work it so the hunting was going on well away from Addy. "I want you to start working harder on your archery," she was using her flight leader voice now, the one she addressed anyone that needed direction with. It was firm but velvety. Not so that the listener wouldn't feel put on the spot, but to help open channels of discussion on whatever matter was being addressed. The one order was all she got out, and it was clear from the look in her eyes that she had more to say on Addy's Gnosis problems.

Renol was standing between the two birds, announcing their immediate departure. Sairque stepped from beneath the wing and listened attentively. Pre-scouted hunting area and camping spots, an outline on the current behavior of their prey, a rough time table. Not a bad briefing. A little vague on where the hunting area was, if there were known risks (aside from their prey), the current weather predictions for while they were out, but nothing that couldn't be shared later. It wasn't far fetched to assume that the hunters didn't need reminders about gear, weather, medical kits, and conduct, but Renol was taking responsibility for the lives of three other people and a Wind Eagle in a land that ate even the best prepared individuals in the blink of an eye.

Sai, one hand resting of the neck of Catabasis, spoke up at the request for questions. "Who knows where we'll be and when we're expected back?" Wind Reach couldn't afford to let the few riders they had wander around willy nilly. If the riders weren't going to be easily accessible, they had to let someone know what was going on. Riders had to inform flight leaders, flight leaders had to inform the Tavina or Tavinar who would inform the Valintar. That and no one wanted to be in charge of the hunt that had gone horribly awry and wouldn't be expecting help any time soon because they had been too lazy or stupid to submit a destination, way point, and timetable plan.
Behind me.
Sairque
It's so empty in here

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Aidara on October 18th, 2010, 11:48 pm

It seemed like everyone knew Kovac by his reputation, his prowess as a hunter and an archer. Addy had initially recognized the Avora for those skills, but it was his attitude that made her remember him, as clever, rather withdrawn individuals tended to draw her attentions in being the complete opposite of her own personality. Then again, she had only seen him from a distance and couldn’t actually hear the words that passed through his lips, but she could see his mouth moving. Unskilled as she was at reading lips, she actually had no idea what Kovac was saying the couple times she’d seen him, so in reality it was his rather good looking face that she remembered- but she was sticking to her personality excuse, it was much more acceptable.

“With whom will I ride?”

Normally, Addy would have had a rather coy remark for Kovac’s question, something along the lines of he could ride her, if he wanted. But he joined them in the court yard just as Aidara had returned to Sai and Catabasis, resuming her ashamed, slumped position as she waited for her sisters approval to her shameful request. Quite embarrassed that he picked that moment to show his face, she raised a hand in welcome as color rose to her cheeks, betraying the embarrassment she was trying to hide. Foiled, Addy busied herself with tying her newly found pack onto the back of the saddle. A gentle hand on Catabasis’s side asked him to lower himself so she could reach his back. She was awfully short, which made doing almost anything above knee height inconvenient.

Addy kept her eyes downcast, refusing to meet anyone’s gaze. She didn’t even make an attempt to introduce herself to Kovac, who she was sure didn’t know her name. He might have recognized her face, by the way he had eyed Sai and herself, but men didn’t matter to her at that point... and that was saying something. Internally, Addy was beating the crap out of herself for bringing up her weakness in such a public place, where everyone could- and probably did- hear. Would they even want her on the trip? Sure, she could heal a torn nail or a paper cut but what good was that? If she couldn’t even kill her own meals…. But she had never had this trouble before, with going on hunts…Why now?

Renols voice pierced her reverie. A simple nod in response to his instructions of an immediate departure, turning to reach up and double check the straps on both her and Sai’s gear. Quiet acquiescence to the fact that there would be danger and the itinerary, and Aidara’s eyes were back on the ground.
“I want you to start working on your archery.." Addy sighed. She had been working on her archery, quite a bit actually. In no mood what-so-ever to argue this point with her sister, she offered another nod. Expecting more than a few words of chastisement, Aidara stood rooted to the ground, tensing for the rest of the orders to roll off her sister’s sharp tongue. But nothing came, as the bossy woman was too busy playing twenty questions with Renol to pay her any more attention.

Without another word, Addy meekly turned to Catabasis, stroked his beak for a few moments and hauled herself up onto the second seat of the saddle.
Last edited by Aidara on November 5th, 2010, 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aidara
The "i" is silent

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Next