Solo Magical Music

Bakar returns to Wildwood Music to learn some basic flute notes, and makes a realization.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Magical Music

Postby Bakar on September 21st, 2014, 12:49 am

Fall, 34, 514

A couple of days after his excursion with Oriah, Bakar was once again in his boring, plain apartment. That didn't upset him today though, he had plans. He smiled to himself as he took out his flute. Beautifully carved. He hadn't played it since he bought it, but he planned on it today. He gave it a a blow as he covered some of the holes. A slightly less shrill noise than when he tested it in the shop. He covered some more, and again. Slightly less shrill. He smiled wider. "Oh, I like this." He said to himself. "But what I need is some actual teachings. Just some basic notes and how to play them. Maybe a simple tune. Sina would probably be able to get me those things. Better get ready then.."

Bakar retrieved is mirror, and a small amount of makeup from his chest. Using the mirror he made quick work of applying it before heading out. Once again, now more used to being out and about, Bakar walked with his head higher, looking no more than a thin, pale man about the streets. He started towards Wildwood Music, to talk to Sina another time. Maybe she'd even remember him.

Upon arriving, he saw the Sina had a few customers to deal with so he patiently waited, browsing some of the other instruments while doing so. Nothing caught his eye like the flute did. He was happy with his purchase. He smiled to himself.

When the other customers had been taken care of, Sina came to the Nuit. Upon seeing his face, she smiled broadly. "Ah, welcome again. What is it I can do for you, sweetie?" Bakar shifted nervously, not used to having such pet names from people he hardly knew, but Sina's outgoing and friendly demeanor kept him somewhat calm. "O-oh, I just came to see if you had any sheets of music for beginners, maybe one with basic notes on them, so I know what I'm doing."

"Sure thing hun, one second." Sina walked to the back, returning shortly after. "Here you are. This is a music book. Most of the pages are blank, but I've included some basic instructions and a few simple tunes for you to try out. You can always just come here whenever it's not busy, and I can show you."

"N-no, thank you. Maybe eventually, but for now I'd prefer to learn on my own. H-how much for the book?" Bakar ran his fingers over the book softly. He always loved the feel of books. And now this would be his second. Sina smiled at the man warmly. "Empty, they're four Gold Mizas. Since I've filled it with some instructions, I'd say a little more. But I can hardly charge someone so enthusiastic a higher price. So we'll keep it at four." Bakar nodded and took out the coins for the book, then bowed to Sina. "Now, now hun. No need for bowing. I'm always glad to see someone new take interest." Sina said, shaking her head softly.

They said their farewells, Sina leaving to help with another customer and Bakar heading home with his new book. He couldn't help but smile to himself. He had another hobby to try out, and couldn't wait to do so.
As of Summer, 63, 515, Bakar has a different body! If never met you before, then this doesn't really matter to you, but people I've met should take this into account, as you're really unlikely to recognize me. :P
Bakar
The Quiet Undertaker

Words: 136278
Joined roleplay: September 10th, 2014, 7:53 pm
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal

Magical Music

Postby Bakar on September 21st, 2014, 1:20 am

When Bakar entered his home he got his flute immediately, not waiting to try out his new hobby. He arranged a makeshift stand for the book using vials of ink to keep it open and standing then took a seat with his new wooden friend. "So, fingers go here like this, first three fingers of my left hand.. and first, second and last finger on my right There. So I hold it like this." Bakar held the flute awkwardly, but correctly. "Okay.. so, this says it's in C Major. Whatever that means. So, B is all holes opened..." He blew over the mouthpiece and a B flat rang out. "Okay, so that's good. Next is a.. C. All holes covered except for the first. He blew again, this time a C sharp. "Okay, so far so good."

He continued practicing like this, one note at a time for quite a while, until he was out of notes to practice. He decided to next try a scale, playing the notes in succession. He blew, the first note ringing out for a second, but dying out. "Wait, what.." He tried again. The note died out after a second. "Wh-why.." He asked himself nervously. Was he doing something wrong? He bit his lip softly, pondering on this, before he realized. "You.. have no lungs. You're limited to the air currently in your mouth at the time you blow. You can't store enough air to sustain a note for more than a second.. Why didn't you think of that sooner? You can't play an instrument that require air.. You. Have. No. Lungs."

He hung his head, sadly. "Why... why did you have to get your hopes up. Why. You should have known something like this would happen. You find something to make you happy? Ha. You're undead. You don't get to be happy." He shook his head, devastated. One thing that has made him happy for the first time in years, and it's already over. He banged his hand on his table weakly, crying to himself.
As of Summer, 63, 515, Bakar has a different body! If never met you before, then this doesn't really matter to you, but people I've met should take this into account, as you're really unlikely to recognize me. :P
Bakar
The Quiet Undertaker

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal

Magical Music

Postby Bakar on September 21st, 2014, 1:52 am

Bakar sat alone for most of the night. Wallowing in his new found misery. To have hope of happiness, then rip it away two days later. "You can get another instrument. Something that doesn't require breath. But nothing rang to me like that flute.." He debated with himself most of the time, pondering if he should even try something else. The flute had been so clear to him. "Why. Why am I tormented so. Why can't I conjure the air needed. Why did I take an instrument that required... air... Air. Air! I can make air!"

Bakar jumped from his chair as he realized this. He can make air, he's an air Reimancer. Sure, it'd take a lot of practice, and would be quite a drain on him, but he can do it. With practice, he wouldn't even get tried playing simple songs. He knew that he would never play something lengthy, never being able to produce enough Res safely to continue for that long. But he didn't care. He just wanted to play. A scale. A simple tune. That's all.

He took a moment to compose himself, the started the production of his Res. "Breathing" out bouts of gaseous Res that he could convert to air to blow across the mouthpiece. After the production he gathered the Res into his body, wanting to make it as authentic as possible. As planned, he manipulated the Res to leave through his mouth before changing it into a steady stream of air. The flute rung out, reacting to the magical air.

He danced, ecstatic that this could work. He continued this process until he had played the simple scale, having to stop halfway to produce more Res to finish the second half. He didn't mind though. That just let him know he'd need more next time to do it all the way through. The scale itself was terrible. Full of flats and sharps when there shouldn't be, but Bakar was unaware of this. He thought it was beautiful. But that may be the euphoria of Overgiving coming into effect. He knew he had reached his limit, and would stop for the night. But he knew he would continue this. "Well, it seems you found a use for that useless air Reimancy, eh? Yeah, it seems I have." He smiled to himself, not noticing the twitching of his leg. He would practice. Both the flute, and his magic so he could play the most beautiful of songs.
Bakar
The Quiet Undertaker

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal

Magical Music

Postby Bakar on September 21st, 2014, 2:15 am

Fall, 35, 514

The next day, still ecstatic about his discovery, he wanted to try again. He was rested from the last drain, Overgiving having no current hold on him. He wiggled, excited about what was to come. He thought about painting a glyph onto his tongue, and producing the Res directly there, changing it as he expelled it from his mouth. That would be the most authentic way of doing it. But not the easiest. He thought about this. "What if I just produce a small amount of Res, and attract air to it. I could store more air that way, and not drain myself so much.. Only one way to find out."

He created a small amount of Res this time and willed the air to gather. He didn't take all the air from the room, like last time. Just as much as he figured he'd need for another scale. His door refilled the room with air anyways, not being airtight. He noticed that storing the air in his mouth wouldn't really work. There was too much, and it was uncomfortable. That's okay, it wasn't necessary. He just wanted it to look real. He held the flute a little further away, and allowed the Res to float between them, retaining it with his force of will. His finger twitched softly, but he was determined to do this. "Just one time. That's all. And I'll get better. Soon I won't get tired doing just this. I just need more practice." He smiled to himself, and began to "blow" willing his Res to release small amounts of air over the mouthpiece, much too far for his actual mouth to reach. His Res however, had no problem forcing the air over. The first note rang out softly, the air dissipating as it neared the flute. He brought the flute a little closer and tried again. It was a little louder and clearer this time, but not much. It'll have to do. He thought, and continued with the scale. C, D, E, F, G, A, B, C. Mostly sharps and flats, but Bakar didn't know or care. He had done the scale, and had a small amount of air left. He let it go, not needing it, and not wanted to use too much more energy.

The Overgiving wasn't so bad this time. Just a slight finger twitch here and there. Overall, he was proud. He had found a way to use his new instrument, and practice his magic. It was a win-win. He smiled and let himself relax, giving himself a couple days break before trying again.
Bakar
The Quiet Undertaker

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal

Magical Music

Postby Aoren on October 26th, 2014, 12:44 pm

Riddled With Rewards

Bakar

Experience
Skill XP Earned
Musical Instrument: Flute + 4 EXP
Music Composition + 1 EXP
Reimancy + 2 EXP

Lores
Lore Earned
Sina: Proprietor of Wildwood Music
Musical Instrument: How To Hold A Flute
Music Composition: The Musical Scale
Reimancy: Conjuring Res From The Mouth

Notes :
• | -4 GM for Music Book
• | Mild Overgiving: Bakar will experience the ocassional muscle spasm over the course of 10 days and has lost feeling in his right hand. Nothing some rest and relaxation won't cure!

Just a note, the manner in which your character used the reimancy is quite possible. The only thing you're doing is directing a small sliver of wind into a hollowed out pipe. It's just a little above the level of control he would be able to exert proficiently. Additionally it would require the continual production of res for several seconds to maintain definitive notes. Hence why I assigned an Overgiving consequence.

If you have comments, questions or concerns please approach me at your earliest convenience. Don't forget to edit/delete your request in the request thread!
Aoren
Of things long forgotten...

Words: 1240868
Joined roleplay: August 27th, 2012, 4:26 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Guest Storyteller (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)