A chef's beginning (training)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

Postby Akiva Korvashi on October 21st, 2010, 8:38 pm

1st Day of Fall, 510 AV

Akiva strode through the dimly lit streets of Sunberth. They always seemed to be dimly lit, despite the time of the day. However, it happened to be evening just now. She walked with a purpose, she had been wanting to try something lately, and decided that today was the day she began her gathering. She walked into the small shop known as ‘The Fence’. She would be making an odd request, for what she supposed the store was normally used for, but it was the only place she knew to go, the only place she knew would have whatever she asked of it.

“Whaddaya lookin’ fer?” Asked the leering man behind the counter.

Akiva showed no fear, she had learned from previous experiences of the dangers of showing fear to the predators of Sunberth. “I’m in need of cooking supplies, sir,” she said, walking up to the counter the man stood behind.

The man let out a roaring laughter and said, “What?! Of all the things I’ve ever heard of people askin’ fer here, that’s never been one. But yeah, I got yer stuff. How bout a cooking spoon, a pan and a pot, something to hang over the fire eh? Here’s two plates, cups, spoons, forks, knives, bowls, everything you’ll need for serving a meal. And you’ll need a pitcher of course. Some assorted vegetables. Here’s some potatoes, tomatoes, onions, mushrooms, green beans, some thyme for seasoning. What else you want, some oil? Here’s some sunflower oil, it’s good fer ya, hehe. Oh, and cheese never hurt anythin’. You‘ll also need some meat, now I‘m sure that‘s easy enough to find, but how about deer, beef, hare?” He said, pushing all of that over the counter at her, including fifteen chunks of wrapped meat in a sack. “Might as well take this basket too, lovely ain’t it, great for putting food stuff in.” It was obvious the man was trying to swindle her by offering her more goods, but Akiva really didn’t see the point in it. She had come for exactly what he was offering. The shopkeeper looked her over from head to toe, noting the breeches and shirt she wore. “What’s a pretty lass like ye wearin somethin’ like dat? I got just the thing for you,” he said, lifting up a pretty dress of crimson.

It was long and flowing, the cloth overlapping itself with extra cloth, very apparently a dancers dress. It was a sleeveless, strapless dress that would show off her curves and breasts, and had a long pair of dainty, but matching gloves to go along with it. She assumed that they would go up to her upper arm, and the dress would reach down to her ankles. It was a beautiful dress, and she knew she had to have it.

“Good, great,” she said, staring at the massive pile of stuff the shopkeeper had pulled from seemingly nowhere. “I’ll take it all,” she said, reaching for her pack.

“That’ll be,” he said, obviously adding up the cost in his head as he looked over the goods. “Fifty-one gold mizas, six silver mizas, and one copper one.” A smile lit the scarred man’s face, as if he were very happy with the price.

Akiva fished the mizas from her pack without hesitation. Money didn’t mean too much for her. Though that was enough for a season’s living expenses for anyone to live comfortably, she generally preferred to sleep in a tent outdoors on the beach or something, eating the fish that Keorvic had caught, instead of living indoors eating fancy already cooked meals that cost money. So for the most part, her Mizas went unused. She handed over the mizas and gathered all of the goods into the basket she had also purchased, draping her new dress over one arm.

“Be sure to come back now,” the shopkeeper said as she left, laughing to himself.
Akiva Korvashi
Hunter in the flesh

Words: 89178
Joined roleplay: June 15th, 2010, 10:14 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Akiva Korvashi on October 21st, 2010, 8:38 pm

2nd Day of Fall, 510 AV

The next day, Akiva would find herself back on the beaches outside of Sunberth, all goods at hand ready to begin.

The sun was high in the sky, the wind still warm from traces of summer. Waves licked at the oceans shore not thirty feet away. The fire blazed in front of Akiva, a small roasting spit set up just out of the fires reach. Akiva was determined again, as she sometimes got, to do something productive for her lover and her master. She had been adventuring with him for nearly a full season now and had not once cooked anything for him, or for herself. She hadn’t the slightest idea how to cook actually, but was determined to learn. While she was fine eating her food raw, she did enjoy the taste of cooked foods just slightly more, but enough to make it worth it. She also knew that humans couldn’t eat raw meat, as it made them sick, and seeing her eat raw meat in human form made others uncomfortable. So she would fix this situation by learning how to cook for herself. She had prepared a large stack of raw meats in order to learn today, including fish (courtesy of Keorvic) and the chunks of meat she had purchased the day before, which she had found included deer and beef. She still had some seasonings she had bought a while back, and had gone out of her way to purchase cooking materials and vegetables to experiment with.

She started by filling the iron pot with water, she had seen Azerix do as much on their way here, and placing the pot over the fire as he did. She once watched him make a stew, it seemed rather simple to her. She cut up three medium sized potatoes into chunks and put them into the water in the pot, and pulled out an onion to do the same, but upon smelling it decided that it would probably be best not to use too much. She cut the onion in half and placed one half back in the basket then peeled the other half and cut the inedible pieces off, letting the onion fall into rings in her hand. She broke the rings in half and placed them in the pot to boil with the potatoes.

She began to hum as she cooked, placing a handful of mushrooms in the pot, along with a tomato she had cut up. The pot was beginning to look similar, and she was pretty sure she was on the right track, stirring the pot as it boiled. She added a bit of thyme, as the man at the shop had indicated to her, and began cubing a chunk of beef. She pulled the pan from the basket and placed the meet into it and held it over the fire to cook, stirring it. It quickly began to char, so she pulled it from the fire, frowning. If only she had some sort of lubricant that was edible. She looked through her basket and pulled out the sunflower oil. Surely that would do. She poured a bit into the pan and began to cook the meat again. It worked, and the meat was cooking at a much more even pace. After a few minutes it had begun to brown, but still didn’t look like the meat she got in taverns and inns. She left it over the fire for a few more minutes until it was a dark brown, and then poured it into the stew pot. She stirred the contents of the pot again, watching as the vegetables and meat danced and bobbed in the rolling water. Remembering the salt and garlic she had bought before, she dug through her pack until she found them, adding a bit of both to her recipe. The stew was beginning to smell good.

As the stew boiled, Akiva prepared a fish to cook, sprinkling garlic and salt over it before placing it in the pan. She held the pan over the fire and waited for it to cook. While she was waiting, she stirred the stew some more, watching as the vegetables became tender. During her distraction, she didn’t notice as the fish began to smoke, turning black and brown. She looked down to the fish once more, expecting to flip it over, only to see it charred and stuck to the pan. She frowned and dumped it out onto the ground beside her. She scraped the burned fish off of the pan with her spook and decided that it would be best if they only had stew today.

Akiva sat there stirring the stew for almost an hour before she decided that it was ready for serving. It had changed to a brownish color almost the same as that of the meat. The potatoes were tender and everything else appeared to be well cooked. It smelled delicious. Akiva dipped her bowl into the pot and wiped the side off with a cloth before trying it.

A big smile lit her face, it was good. She was proud of it, for it being her first time to cook anything. Though she had watched Azerix cook stew many times before, she considered this an achievement she had accomplished on her own. She called to Keorvic, already dipping a bowl out for him to try.called to Keorvic, already dipping a bowl out for him to try.
Akiva Korvashi
Hunter in the flesh

Words: 89178
Joined roleplay: June 15th, 2010, 10:14 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Leviathan on December 4th, 2010, 4:46 pm

Bad News Everybody. School is picking up, Exams are beginning to happen, homework is growing time consuming, I may soon be evicted from my apartment, I'm dealing with severe and physical fights among several of my best friends, and I can't seem to find a time to get much needed sleep. I'm terribly sorry, but don't expect to see much of me for a long while.
Leviathan
Adapt, Migrate, or Die

Words: 281278
Joined roleplay: July 25th, 2010, 6:57 pm
Race: Staff account
Character sheet
Office
Scrapbook