[Flashback] What Time Does Not Heal, Others Will (Solo)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

While Sylira is by far the most civilized region of Mizahar, countless surprises and encounters await the traveler in its rural wilderness. Called the Wildlands, Syliran's wilderness is comprised of gradual rolling hills in the south that become deep wilderness in the north. Ruins abound throughout the wildlands, and only the well-marked roads are safe.

Postby Orion on October 23rd, 2010, 3:08 pm

11th Day of the Season of Fall, 504 AV

Another fall came.... it was almost jerking tears to Orion`s eyes as he came to know solitude not so long ago. Today, well anyway if it truly was the 11th of fall was the anniversary of his fall from Ukalas, today would be their anniversary.. wouldn`t it? It was colder than before, the sun withdrew quicker down into the abyss of night, and sky became dark many times over and over again. There were times where one thinks as if the time itself has stopped. This was not one of those times. This was one of those times where people could feel the flow of time, but they themselves are stuck somewhere in between, between lies and truth, between life and death. It was a thin line to walk on, but once you have cast your first step onto it, there really was not much more that could be done to salvage the mind of the young Ethaefal from deteriorating. Spending days in self pity, eating, sleeping, stealing, crying.... why was it all so ubearable all of a sudden? He knew all too well why, but still every time the memory came back to him, he quickly forced himself to think about anything else. Today soft, yet still warm rain was flowing down onto the world as everything seemed to shift around while the curious wind was on a rampage. Not even animals and plants were alone... so then .... why him? Why someone as weak as he was of all people.... why? The questions grew louder and louder in his mind as he was walking towards what he thought was east. Not so long ago he heard a tale of town full of scum and lost causes, a town of vermin and treachery and death. Sunberth, was that it`s name again? It was hard to remember the name, but his mind thought it to be a fitting end for his gruesome existence. Hunger tearing him apart, he really was an idiot for leaving all of his stuff behind, all of their stuff behind. But, it was just too much to face the place they once called their own, as it was never quite his, and it will never be. „But why did i left the food too?“ the thought lingered inside his head a bit as he shrugged to himself and continued to walk towards what seemed to be a fire... no, actually those were two fires very close to one another. Even though he wanted to die sometimes, he was just too afraid to let everything go, he was far too afraid to just silently slip into the chasm of death. The fires were now but a few hundred feet away, and he could hear the noise of more than one person coming from the tents, he could hear many happy voices as his body became heavy. He could hear footsteps that were getting closer as his eyes closed. He could.... and then it all became dark....

The first thing to awaken was his nose, as he could smell some sort of meat being cooked not far from where he was sleeping. Next thing to come around were his ears as he could hear two persons talking silently amongst one another, but he was too tired to bother picking out the words. He felt smaller, somehow lesser, it must have been that night already came and that his Vantha self was let out to wander the mortal plains and face the mortal ways. Finally his eyes spread wide as he got up quickly only to notice he had no clothes on what so ever, someone also tended to his injuries and it seemed there were a few wooden bowls next to the bedroll he was on set out just for him. Whoever these people were, they claimed him from the door of Dira and shut him back into the stream of life, he could not help himself but be grateful as he continued to eat the smoking food almost like a swine, ignoring spoons, ignoring forks, ignoring everything but his hunger. Looking around the tent he realised it was quite a big tent but never the less he was still the only inhabitant that was there. Finally laying his gaze upon what seemed to be his clothes, he was awed with how clean they were. He could understand saving a man that was about to be claimed by Dira, but he could not understand why did they go so far as to wash his clothes? Not questioning anything more he quickly got dressed and got out of the tent as quietly as he could carrying the empty bowls on what seemed to be a wooden platter and looking around for any signs of people around. „Hello?“ Orion sighsed a bit before trying again: „Anyone?“ there was no response but he could hear many footsteps getting closer quickly from more than one direction and they all seemed to be headed for the tents. In panic Orion dropped the platter and raised his awareness a bit while looking around for any threats. It was not even a full moment and he was already knocked on his back by a stone that was accidentally in his path. He felt kinda dizzy as his sight was blurry, but he could still see many faces around him as he sat up slowly. Counting slowly he got up to thirteen people, and at least six of them were kids, two of the adults were male and five of the crowd were girls, but Orion had trouble deciding weather the last one should be put into the same group with kids or should she stay among women. This was not all of them, there was one more, a male, he was sure of it, as he could hear a strong yet gentle voice: „Alright now everyone, move away, i know you are curious but breathing all of the air around him won`t really do him much good“ the voice was then followed by a laugh that seemed to spread around the rest of the crowd like a plague, as it was not even a full moment and everyone was laughing innocently and spreading their wide grins across their curious faces. Quickly standing up, the currently Vantha figure turned to the man that seemed to be the leader bowing his head a bit and speaking in a slow, almost scared tone of voice: „I really am sorry for any trouble i may have caused you, and i am tremendously thankful for everything you have done, but why did you go so far for someone like me?“ as his sentence ended he started grasping the appearance of the man he was talking to. He was shorter than most humans, he had a kind face, deep and completely black eyes, a strange scar on his left cheek and a burn mark on his neck. The man seemed to be at least fifty going towards sixty years old... but there Orion`s thoughts were cut in half as the stranger spoke again softly, but a bit louder to out do the noise from the crowd: „We are all orphans in one way or another, abandoned by parents“ he paused pointing to the kids „Abandoned by lovers, friends, family...“ pointing towards all of the group „Hell, maybe even abandoned by the gods“ his last words resonated a bit longer as he motioned over the entire camp. „You my friend are probably among the last group i mentioned, and that is already enough to make you one of us, so how `bout it? How `bout joining hands with us?“ before Orion had even a slightest chance of a response, the man continued what seemed to be meant as an inspiring speech: „None of us are strong, well at least not strong enough alone, but together, together we make the ground bend below us, we make beasts tremble in our way, we make the dangers stay clear of us by sheer numbers. I know you were probably going to say you are no good as a warrior, but in due time, you too shall learn the basics of combat, and in due time you too will become strong enough to never have to witness anyone`s death ever again.....“ the speech was much longer than this, but it was here that Orion`s will had been broken. As the silence at the end of the speech gave him some time to speak without interrupting anyone, he used it: „I accept“ those soft spoken words were all he could squeeze out of his uncertain frame as he was still full of strange emotions in turmoil that all wanted to stand victorious over his persona...
Last edited by Orion on October 24th, 2010, 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Freedom Is The Biggest Lie, For We Are All Slaves To Fates Long Woven
Orion
On the edge of reason

Words: 112833
Joined roleplay: May 22nd, 2010, 9:43 pm
Location: Bleh... i like moving around.. a lot... in Zeltiva now... i guess
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Orion on October 24th, 2010, 12:48 am

The night took it`s toll on the camp. The children were the first to go to sleep, next were the adults, until only Orion and the old man were left. He could not sleep yet as he spent most of the day resting and recovering, he was tired yes, but not sleepy at all. The silence that began piling up on them started pressing the air and made it a somewhat awkward moment. Finally the old man spoke as if to mend the silence: „Oh, how rude of me boy, my name is Marcus Laville, i came to be as a fruit of my parents that were once upon a time very significant people in Syliras. So enough about me, how about you tell me something i don`t know about you boy?“ the voice of the aged one was soothing and made the Vantha want to speak more than earlier. „My real name.... i can`t say it, it really isn`t a whim or a secret, i am just literally unable to speak it out loud, since no theatrics are needed, i answer to the name Orion. Furthermore, i am one of the fallen, or so i was told, i was ripped from the heavenly abode of Ukalas on this exact day a year back. I fell into what they call the Suvan Sea these days, i fell hard, and it hurt quite a lot, even now i sometimes feel i just wanna claw my way up into the heaven, but even if my desire is strong i am not strong enough even to hold such dreams as even my mind just makes new requests that keep wandering between things“ there Orion stopped as he felt he needed to take his time before giving out the rest of his brief history: „Not all of my fall was sorrow, just the part that followed that fateful summer night, the night i lost her. They took her from me, and i killed them, i killed them all too well, but that did not bring her back, she just vanished, she just left me to tend to myself. Why? Why? Why?....“ the voice was still firm but Orion could sense tears pouring down his face as he was unable to stop them or even see much with his eyes blurred by tears. The old man was already standing up even before the young one had time to finish his sentence, as if he knew all too well what was coming. Placing one hand on Orion`s shoulder, he spoke slowly but loud enough to penetrate the thick walls of sorrow that surrounded the young man: „Fire. A small flame burns within us all, you remember that young one“ until then it was unclear why was the man`s other hand being surrounded by what seemed to be a light, a fire.. but then it was finally clear, the man was a reimancer, and by the looks of it a damn fine one. Orion was no longer crying, as he was just like a small child taken in by the glimmering light that was struggling on Marcus` palm. „This flame you see... it is fueled by others, and by one`s self. If you do not keep your flame strong enough it will just vanish, but if you make it too hot, you will drive away everything and everyone until you remain so alone that you will wish you had the courage to burn yourself with your own two hands. You understand now, don`t you boy? You are one of those that almost burned out, almost extinguished, almost vanished.... but no, such was not your fate and you will probably spend the rest of your days remembering the past, and hoping for the present, but my boy don`t do such things, do not dwell on mysteries both old and new for too long.... If you do, you just might forget to live for the moment at hand....“ the man kept speaking but the flame now extinguished and he no longer had Orion`s attention, until a small window of opportunity where the now curios Vantha placed his well aimed question: „Is that what happened to you?“ the voice that said those words was not much of tone, but it was serious enough to linger around just long enough for Marcus to pay attention.

„I might just tell you that one day, go to sleep now, for tomorrow morning we have work to do“ Marcus seemed quite serious when he said they had work to do, but none the less Orion took little of it as important as he headed back to the tent he was sleeping in only to find it full of children, the next tent was full as well, and so was the next one, as he was about the check the last two tents, he heard a soft whisper from one of them:
„Come here, we have some room“ the voice belonged to a female and like nectar to bee it lured the Vantha in without a single question. „I really am sorry to intrude, but it seems that if i am staying with you, i just might need a place to rest“ it was all spoken in a whisper as he could see only one free bedroll with a couple of blankets. Orion`s voice murmured again, still keeping as quiet as he could: „But there are two of us...“ there he was cut off as the woman spoke again: „It is quite alright, i don`t believe you are that shy and these nights tend to be quite cold... the woman whispered those words while getting herself onto the bedroll and reaching out her hand to Orion whispering yet again: „It`s ok, just come here and share this place with me Orion; I heard you and my father speaking, and i think i more or less very well know what you`ve been through, so please give in, just for now, just for me...“ her voice trailed off as nothing more was needed in order to make the man obey. Quickly getting his clothes off, except for his underwear he got into the bedroll laying on his back and speaking silently: „Thank you... so what is your name?“ but the woman seemed to be asleep already as she did not respond, and only motioned slightly, leaning her head onto his shoulder. He did not get much sleep that night as the memories kept chasing him away from that one fine dream that could last the whole night.

12th Day of The Season of Fall, 504 AV

Just before sunrise, Orion snuck out of the tent, he tried to make as little noise as possible as he got his clothes back on and headed for the nearby creek in order to drink a bit of water. It was all probably just a bad excuse as he did not want any of them to witness the change he was about to endure, but luckily this time the change was for the better. He came back from the creek, carrying some wood he collected along his way, wood of all shapes and sizes, anything he could carry. Feeling a bit guilty for getting his clean robe dirty again kept him a bit ticked off at himself, but luckily it disappeared soon as he was trying to get a fire running. Placing a large piece of dry wood he found in the camp at the bottom, he quickly covered it in some soft and dry grass that they seemed to keep around the camp. After that the only thing he needed to do is to find a bit smaller branch and rub it off the surface of the wood in order to make a spark that would later make for a fine flame. This was the way he was taught to light the fire, and even if it was not the most efficient one, he still made it a success after his third attempt. The fire was still small and not as glorious as it could be as he started adding smaller twigs to it. Time passed and the flame just kept eating the wood away as it grew larger, just as he was about to toss in some more wood, he finally understood what the old man said last night. He needed to watch himself from adding too much to the fire, watch the fire from becoming too strong and out of control. Sitting by the fire Orion tried to get his hands a bit warmer, and by staring at the flame he did not even realize he had undergone a change somewhere during that time. The sun grazed his eyes a bit as the people began to sprout out of their tents, both young and old, both children and adults as they kept rallying around the fire, all pointing their curious gazes at the Ethaefal before sitting down. Finally Orion realized why they were so curious and spoke softly: „Oh, i am sorry, i am the one that came into your hands last night, do not be afraid, this is simply the form i get during the reign of Syna...“ his voice trailed off as everyone seemed to have a question, this indeed seemed as it was going to be a long day.
Orion
On the edge of reason

Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Orion on October 24th, 2010, 11:04 pm

Even if Orion was quite different from before, he was still not interesting or important enough to keep anyone from doing their share of the work. It was not long until Marcus came to get him and silently gesturing him that they are going for a walk.

„You know, it really has been a while since we had any newcomers to our small community, so for the sake of the whole i really would like to know of any major skills you may hold...“ the curious voice left the Orion`s ears almost as quickly as it had entered them and he started to think of anything significant he could actually do, until a small thing ventured his mind, a couple of them actually: „I guess you can say i draw fairly well, also i am quite profficent at making charts and maps, and i have a vague knowledge of astronomy“ taking in a deep breath, he continued: „I know none of these skills are much to mention, but that is all i am, and that is the limit of my ability“ a bit ashamed of his lack of skills the Ethaefal just kept to himself not speaking anything more and breathing as quietly as he could.
„Well i guess that can`t be helped boy, all of us will help you get stronger in every way possible“ the man spoke with a smile full of hope stitched onto his face, it truly was hard to deny such enthusiasm and all Orion could do in it`s face was simply nod and accept the free knowledge he was about to receive.

They walked for a few more chimes before the man found a reason to speak again, and maybe it was not a reason at all, maybe he just hated the pressing silence. „Well i guess you will also need some weapon skill as the only other way of self defense i know is far too dangerous for someone as unstable as you currently are.... So boy, what is it that you would like to wield?“ he scratched his short grey beard a bit in thought before continuing his line: „We have a skilled weaponsmith among us, but good ore is difficult to come by and therefore the number of weapons we have available is quite small. There is a single sword, a couple of lances, some weird thing they call katana and a somewhat twisted dagger..... Well anyway if i may be so bold to assume, i guess the best weapon for you would be that katana thing. It may be strange, yes, but it is both strong and elegant, and furthermore it should be everything you need to aspire to in order to keep a strong hold of your flame....“ the old guy sure knew how to ramble but at least the talk they had now was quite worth the time that passed by.

The walk went on much longer than it seemed it would, it was almost as if Marcus needed some time alone, and even though it was quite unorthodox Orion had no right to complain as he enjoyed some time alone here and there as well. The question that was bothering him came to his lips as he pretended it was all of a sudden, his tone awkward and his eyes uninterested: „One of those girls says you are her father, but i thought you were all orphans?“ the question was not asked in the best possible way, but still it was quite enough to make the Ethaefal gain some of the man's attention. „Oh, that must be Mya, she was the first one i adopted, she was no more than six years old when they killed her parents in an assault of a caravan that was going across this region. When i found her, she was a mess, god only knows how she grew up so fine, i am no father material after all. I kept pushing her away, but her playful and frightened attitude was not cast aside so easily, as she kept following me as quick as she could. It took me almost a full bell to change my mind, yea, that long, but still, luckily i did. Maybe it was 'cause i hated that sorrow of solace as much as she did, but it also may have been just a self righteous whim.... All in all when i think about it, she just might be the one to take the lead after i am gone. You know in all my long years not even once i saw that girl cry in front of anyone, not even once have i seen even a single weakness in her character even if i knew there were many. And that is what makes a good leader, it's not pride, nor strength, it's how confident you look while bossing others around. Quite honestly, i have no god damn idea what the hell i'm doing half of the time, but i do not show them that and they obey, without a question... they do...“ Marcus stopped talking all of a sudden while getting lost in his own thoughts and leaving Orion some time to think about what would it be like to be strong, that strong.

It took them almost two bells but they were back at the camp, Marcus gestured Orion to stand still as he entered one of the tents and came out shortly after carrying a thin barely visible sword. Truly it was elegant and it was in that moment that Orion finally realised that was the katana weapon he heard of earlier. This time he was not alone, as another man with a strange stone like left arm followed him.

„This is...“ Marcus began.....
„Gelor“ the Isur ended in a quiet but still thundering voice.

„Oh, i'm sorry, they call me Orion, nice to meet you“ his tone was quite pleasant, but still he got no response as Gelor just nodded his head simply as if he was recongnizing the existence of the newcomer.

„He does not speak much, but he really isn't a bad guy, he will be teaching you how to wield this“ the man then threw the weapon in Orion`s hands only to make him awe at how light it was. „So no one else has to get hurt... ever again“ those were the thoughts that drove the Ethaefal as he was admiring the blade. „Oh and you will need to change as those robes are not a fitting attire for training“ the line ended or so Orion thought as some sort of heavy fabric was thrown his way: „Pants fitting of a warrior, change now quickly“ Marcus added before the student had any right to say anything. It took him a moment to change, only to notice he had nothing to cover his upper body with, but that was quite alright, as any fabric would probably limit his movements.

Gelor walked a few dozen feet away from the camp only to stop at what seemed as a random place and crouched down placing stones from his pocket in a circle of three feet or so diameter. Interested in what this had to with training the Ethaefal quickly followed the Isur in order to satisfy his curiosity. An answer was given to him shortly by Marcus as it seemed that Gelor did not see Orion as worthy of words just yet: „You are to make him move out of that circle, you are allowed to use any object or technique to your advantage, as long as you keep your goal in mind, anything you would like to add friend?“ Marcus gave himself some silence as he finally passed the word to the encircled man.

„Attack to kill, no mercy, no remorse, no hesitation...“ the Isur seemed to like making it simple, or at least as simple as possible. „Alright, here i go“ Orion had no idea what so ever how to make the man move, but he had the will for the job and that kept him believing in a positive outcome. As soon as the old guy gained some distance from the two, he threw a simple remark: „You have until nightfall, and remember this, loser doesn't get anything to eat tonight“ Marcus laughed to himself as he was moving out of their sight.

„Now that he is gone, i can tell you the essence of all this, forget any pride you may have, focus on the task at hand, once you are stronger than me i will give you the privilege of having pride and honor“ the Isur who spoke a bit more than was normal to his nature ended his lines with a playful smile as he glared back at Orion awaiting for an attack.

Growling a bit to himself as he was about to attack an opponent armed with nothing but a sword he did not even unsheath in order to face the opposing force. The Ethaefal charged blindly without too much consideration for emotions, and his disregard of emotions was probably the only thing done right in that attack as he missed Gelor by a long shot. A simple slide to the side made Orion realize how much quicker his opponent was and it made him a bit hopeless but only for a moment as the very next one he was eager to retry. This time holding the katana with both hands, he started circling around the stationed one almost as if he was a beast stalking his prey, trying to find a weak spot. But that was just the problem, the Isur seemed as he had weaknesses all over, but none of them big enough to make for a decent strike. For almost ten chimes he made circles around the man and then all of a sudden he quickly swung his sword aiming at his knees, but alas even that opportunity was wasted as the strike was quickly blocked and Orion almost fainted as he received a punch to the stomach that almost left him completely breathless.

„To make me wait so long for such a pitiful attempt.... again.. faster... stronger“ Gelor growled as Orion struggled to get up.

The punch made it somewhat easier to breathe but the pain was still hard to deal with as the Ethaefal now had trouble running, so he limited his movements to fast paced walking and simple stunts. This time it did not take him long to get a fresh idea as he walked towards the Isur slowly, only to leap at him quickly, the blade missed him by a long shot, but still, that was not the plan at all, it was not that simple. The hilt of the blade, no matter how light it was, it was still a weapon to itself or so Orion thought as he swung his arm backwards, aiming at the back of his opponent's head, that strike too was evaded, but it was just then that the real plan was set into motion, as soon as he touched the ground, Orion turned around quickly and kicked the man in the crotch, or so it was meant to be, the hit was not a complete miss, but it was not a complete hit either. Still, the Isur exhaled a bit heavy as if the blow was no joke, and that made his student confident again. None the less, Gelor was still not willing to let anyone have any free shots as he quickly picked the already beat up man from the ground using his left hand and punched his stomach again, but this time he used the hilt of his sheathed weapon.

„Come on now we're even, get up quickly, or you gave up already?“ the Isur knew all the right spots to press in order to agitate his young pupil. Orion growled to himself as he got up slowly and raised his weapon once more, but this time, his plan was a bit better

Getting a bit of mud in his hand, he knew what to do, as he ran as quickly as his bruises allowed him to, straight at his teacher. But this time, as the Isur did not see the mud in his hand and as the attack was much like the last plan, he leaped at his opponent, but this time he did not attack with blade first, instead he squeezed his hand around the mud as if he was about to punch Gelor, only to throw all of the mud in his face the very next moment. The mud hit right on the spot and as Orion found new hope in this temporary blindness he quickly used the hilt to punch his opponent's nose as quickly as possible and as hard as he could. This hit too was as perfect as it could get with Orion's skill, but the Isur just kept his place as he used his left arm to punch the Ethaefal in the face as hard as he could. The pain started searing through his left temple bone as he fell down into the mud and lost consciousness. Probably the only good thing about his loss that night was the fact that he did not have to watch everyone else eat their food as he gazed from the side...
Orion
On the edge of reason

Character sheet
Scrapbook