Closed [Zhongjie Warren] Marketing Day Trials

Kavala gets to meet Adrien Dair.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

[Zhongjie Warren] Marketing Day Trials

Postby Kavala on November 1st, 2014, 11:11 pm

Timestamp: 22nd of Fall, 514 AV

It was marketing day along with a small job fair event. Kavala hated shopping, which was atypical of most women. She didn't like the hustle and bustle of the Bazaar which was aptly named The Zhongjie Warren. Negotiating her pony cart into the complex was next to impossible so she left Sivak and the cart outside in the designated parking area for such things and was on foot. She'd made purchases and had arranged for them to be delivered to the cart the 15th bell, which gave her enough time to do all sorts of shopping and be back at the cart to make sure her things weren't' being stolen. Then there would be a short drive back to The Sanctuary, and from there, dinner to prepare.

Kavala had needed staples. Rice, flour, tea, and several other things that The Sanctuary didn't raise or grow out of hand. She also needed several bags of chicken scratch, beef cow feed, and some ingredients to mix up some supplemental kitten milk for a batch of orphaned kittens. She had almost everything she needed but the gelatin that went in to thickening the milk and helping the kitten's bellies to feel full. A woman sold it in batches in the market either dried and powdered or in thin sheets that could be dissolved in boiling water.

There was also some sort of job fair going on at the warrens, so she was going to check out the fair and see if any would-be carpenters or handymen were available for hire. She needed a lot of buildings finished this season and didn't have enough time in the day to complete them all herself. To that end Kavala had rented a small corner table in the fair and had made herself a sign listing all the positions available at The Sanctuary and some of the requirements. She'd man the little table for a few hours in the morning, hoping to catch someone early on. Then she'd finish her marketing, and hopefully quietly head home.

So carrying her pack she checked in at the fair, got her table assignment, and sat down behind it. Then carefully she spread out her information about the healing facility for kelvics and animals and what was needed. The most dire need was a carpenter/handyman and the position not only paid well, but it included room and board.

Two hours was all she was going to stay... the shop... then home. Kavala hoped the time went fast. It wasn't that the Konti was impatient. Just the opposite. Normally she was very patient. But today she had other things to do, places to go, and people to see. There were clients in the afternoon and always a lot of the building going on to oversee at home. So she stretched out her long leather encased legs, leaned back and tried to act nonchalant about the whole thing. Her body was encased with the typical Akalak leather attire and she was casually armed. But nothing she wore looked out of place in Riverfall. Even her tightly braided hair that had already escaped its confines were typical of the Waterfall city.
The Sanctuary The Sanctuary Forum Riverfall The Cytali
Reverie Isle Wolf Creek Training Course
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala
I am more than the sum of my parts.

Words: 3295757
Joined roleplay: October 25th, 2009, 1:46 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 17
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Master Merchant (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (2) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Adrien Dair on November 2nd, 2014, 3:00 am

22nd

The morning had started early. He was out and about, taking in the fresh morning air. The rhino had stumbled his way to the market, he needed some basic supplies. Food, some basic clothing and maybe a few shiny trinkets. Adrien really did not know if he would find anything special in the market. Other then busy it was relatively dull, people hustled and bustled. Bumping into you and others as they walk, it was loud with no real focus other then ones self or ones group. Adrien shook his head, he jiggled the few gold, silver and copper that he carried with hum. He would need to get a job soon, he did not have much to give to anyone in trade skills. He was handy with a hammer. Construction had always interested him. He could help do a house or create a powerful item.

He liked to use his hands, the natural feeling they gave you could not get through anything else. Knowing that one could create with his own hands filled them with pride and it was a sense that Adrien had enjoyed on it. He absently pushed through the crowd, wandering through the stalls that made up the crowded market. He looked up, shaking his heads from the thoughts that filled it free, he noticed some kind of fare going on. Businesses had set up stalls to try and find people to hire. Laborers to work, or minds to lead. His eyes slowly scanned the stalls. He walked forward, trying to stay behind most of the groups but be able to see what was going on.

A stunningly beautiful Konti sat behind one, causing Adrien to stop in his tracks. There we a few people ahead of him, his eyes locked on her for a few ticks before he looked down at the table. He tried to swallow the lump in his throat and stepped forward. Hi eyes stayed on the table. He scanned over the information before his eyes landed on a list that listed the available jobs. She was looking for a handy man. His eyes went up slowly, meeting hers for a tick before he looked down at the page again. "I am okay with a hammer. Not the best but not the worse" he said. A very poor attempt to tell the truth and sell himself. "What exactly are you looking for?" he asked. He did not know if he would be of any use to him.

He had only begun working in carpentry recently, but anything was better then trying to sell himself as a freelancer. He put the list down and took a deep breath finally looking up at her. The grayish tint of his eyes meeting her blue tinted eyes. A slight blush showing across his cheeks. He tried to straighten himself up. To look a bit more presentable to his possible new boss.

Adrien Dair
Adrien Dair
Seeker of the unseen

Words: 94322
Joined roleplay: October 26th, 2014, 12:36 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Kavala on November 2nd, 2014, 7:05 pm

She felt him the moment he entered the little square in the bazaar. The Konti had her senses wide open, half because she was always on the lookout for Kelvics in need, but also too because her attention was wavering since her little table had drawn very little attention. Kavala wouldn’t have called it boredom. Any moment of peace in her life was savored, even if it simply consisted of crowd-watching. And that’s precisely what she was doing. She was watching people stroll along, shopping, laughing, being together in the fall between festivals in the city that some said was one of the most peaceful and safe in all of Mizahar. Riverfall wasn’t without its pitfalls, but today she could almost believe the tales because for the most part things were quiet, calm, and slightly happy.

She’d removed her cloak, for all that it was fall, the weather had warmed and the sun and breached the clouds and bathed the city in a weak warm light that caused her scales to glitter. As usual, her sleeveless tunic revealed the loops of scales running up and down her arm in an iridescent pattern that softened the look of a warrior she tended to wear like armor.

When the gift that had been with her since her extended stay on Mura kicked into overdrive, Kavala sensed the Kelvic and met the gaze of the male across the sea of mingling people. She didn’t realize he’d closed the distance until he stood there, somehow larger than his human frame displayed. Kavala withstood the urge to step back and give him room, shaking off the funny feeling he should be taking up more space than he actually was. Offering him a smile, she glanced at what he was reading, and then back up at him glad indeed that he could read.

Some Kelvics, especially in Riverfall, weren’t so lucky. The Akakals, for all their educated ways, still lagged behind the times and treated the Kelvics like animals. Kavala knew they weren’t, but the Akalaks still took some convincing.

“Well, the sign is deceptive. I have a lot of building projects that need tending too. We’re first and foremost working on a forge for mages. It’s a special sort of thing that will need a fine attention to detail. We’re putting up new buildings, walkways, and there’s always fencing. We’re going to be laying stonework, both with mortar and magic, and if the truth is told I need a strong back more than anything else. It’s a learn as you go position that won’t always be easy, but the pay is good and it comes with a place to stay and all the food you can eat. If you are of a mind too, we also could use help with tending other animals and seeing to their medical needs. You see, The Sanctuary is a facility just outside of town that caters to the healing of animals and Kelvics, though we are also branching out into training healers as well. There are opportunities abundant for all sorts of things, and I would expect anyone I hired to be a handyman to not stay a handyman for very long because there’s so much need for other things.” Kavala said, putting it plainly.

“I would prefer a Kelvic to a human any day. I trust your kind more than I do humans and am more than glad to talk coin if that is important to you.” The Konti said, impressed that the male didn’t state he was the best at anything at all. Rather, he seemed to play down what he was capable of. She didn’t know if it was humility, but she could not sense any insecurity in him. In fact, he seemed to pull himself taller a bit and that made her smile.

“I’m Kavala Denusk. What do you go by? And can you tell me a bit about yourself?”
Kavala asked thoughtfully, not wanting to press him for information and pry into his privacy, but she did want to know something about someone she might be potentially hiring.
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Adrien Dair on November 3rd, 2014, 8:09 am

22nd

His ears twitched as the sound of her voice landed upon them. A fluttering in his stomach like it had been filled with butterflies had over taken him for a tick, before he brought himself back into the real world. She went on about her work needs. Most of it was something he was capable enough for. At least to lend a hand, leading would be an entirely new thing for him. His eyes still locked with hers as he continued to listen to her speak. She offered a place to stay and food to eat with the work. More benefits for the man then he thought he would be offered to begin with. So far he had felt as if she had no clue he was a Kelvic. Most did not unless they saw him change. His interested perked up a bit, his eyes darting back to hers as she mentioned healing and Kelvics. "You heal Kelvics? Do you plan to keep them as pets?" he asked in a rather rushed tone. The words rolling off of his tongue.

Adrien had shifted closer to the table, almost leaning over it. His hands rested at the edge. He was about to speak again before he was cut off. "I would prefer a Kelvic to a human any day" she said. Stunned he stood there, mouth shut and eyes wide. She knew? But how could she? he thought to himself. "I trust your kind more then I do humans and am glad to talk coin it that is important to you." The man was shocked, there was obviously something about this woman that he did not take into account earlier. He did not speak, just looked at her in a shocked kind of state.

It was only when she spoke again did her focus. She introduced herself and he repeated her name under his breath. "I am Adrien Dair" he said quickly. Her name sparking the butterflies he had felt before. Shaking his head for a tick, he regained his focus. "I... Well I am a Kelvic. A black Rhino" he said in a hushed tone. Fearful of what would happen if others heard him. Of the damage he would cause as his instinct took over. "I am a.. very inexperienced magecrafter. Seven years of age... Mature" he said. Not knowing if she knew anything about Rhino's he had felt the need to add the last part. To make sure she understood he was not a baby. "I enjoy learning. Crafting and protecting." Adrien's fingers tapped against the table. He pushed off of it and stood upright again.

"I am not the best at talking. It is weird for me, I am used to being only with my parents" he said honestly. "I do not see the point in not being honest. Lies tend to make more lies" he said with a shrug. "And I only care for coin because it is with coin that one lives. Food is not given out in the city because one may want it. You have to earn it through hard work. I am not afraid to sweat and work hard until something is complete. I may not be the best leader but I can assure you will not find anyone more loyal to someone who helps others."

"I am nothing if not honest and trust worthy" he said. A small smirk like smile spread on his face. Something almost childish about it as he spoke. "Beside's two thousand pounds of muscle is not bad to keep a place safe" he said. The Kelvic wondered if she could be trusted. Her beauty and sweet voice had landed on the ears of the man like honey on someones lips. He was attracted to it and her, though it may not be more then a little crush. There was something about her that made him believe she could be trusted. An odd feeling that she was honest in her words.

Adrien Dair
Adrien Dair
Seeker of the unseen

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Kavala on November 4th, 2014, 5:41 am

Kavala had infinite patience when it came to introductions and getting to know new people. She never pushed too hard nor tried to come off too strong. She let them get comfortable if she could. The Konti had a natural allergy to walls, barriers, and shyness. She couldn’t stand it. Dancing around what people truly wanted to talk about was never very good for her. And as she extended her Konti gift, letting his feelings wash over her, she tried to shake them off. Nervousness. She could feel her own stomach fluttering and her own reaction mirroring his because she was reading him deliberately. Had she known him better, even perhaps trusted him, they could have exchanged images, feelings, and even in a very primitive animalistic way communicated. But he was nervous about the new situation and she could tell he wasn’t wholly comfortable in the situation he found himself in now.

The healer glanced down and away. She met his eyes enough to hold his gaze, but she never tried to challenge him. In fact she was running her hand across the add she’d hastily written out when his comment about her healing Kelvics and asking if she kept them as pets.

A smile played across her face at the question. “Kelvics often have unique healing needs. Human and Akalak healers often don’t understand. You are not animals, though you can take their shape So yes, I do heal Kelvics and study them when I have a chance. But keep them as pets? No.. .of course not. My own niece and nephew are Kelvics. I keep them as one should… as family.” The Konti said. She shifted in her seat, setting up and straightening her spine. She moved like a cat for a moment, stretching as if she’d been in the chair too long. A boot stretched out, creaked, and was returned to its polite position. Her own words were pitched quietly, casually, as if she meant them for his ears only. Of course she wouldn’t say that too loud in Riverfall. She was just one woman, despite being Kuvan, and her views were not popular in the Waterfall City.

“It is not their fault, you know.” She said suddenly, glancing around at the Akalaks moving through the square some visiting the job fair, but most just looking at it curiously as they moved past in pursuit of their own shopping or errands. “Most of the Kelvics in the city are treated as pets. They are given to children early, bond, rebond, and bond again, without thought to what it does to them… to your kind. It breaks them. And the rest who are not born here are brought in quietly by slavers. They take the form of small things, songbirds, squirrels, mice, creature forms that are unwanted elsewhere because they seemingly have no power or strength. They are not given a chance to grow up like normal children should. The Akalak don’t respect timid, weak, cowering creatures and they don’t pause long enough to realize why most of the Kelvics here aren’t people they’d respect. But most of them have never felt the bite of a whip at their back or wore iron around their neck or wrists.” Kavala said softly.

Her pale blue eyes had gone icy, making her look blind as emotion flooded her eyes. There was sorrow there but overshadowing it was a great deal of rage. She concealed it well, but her eyes and their hardening and chilling gave her feelings away. The woman stared in front of herself blindly for a few moments, as if she got lost in her thoughts, and then blinked, bringing herself back to the presence.

“Adrien is a good name.” The Konti said suddenly, her eyes darkening again to their normal blue. She slowly glanced down at her hand and found one of her fists gripping a set of Tamo Daggers that were sheathed into each other. Visibly she forced herself to relax and her hand to loose its grip. She wiped it down her leather clad leg and glanced back up at him apologetically. “Talking isn’t required. I do need a strong back to set corner posts for buildings and frame walls. You don’t need a lot of skill because we are just building the shells of buildings. We will finish them up with something a lot more sturdier when they are standing.” The Konti said, touching the stone of the table and sighing softly. She seemed lost within herself one more movement before her attention turned back to him. “Talking is pleasant though. If you take the job, I hope you’d give it a consideration and practice it a bit. Sometimes it makes the work go easier and faster.” Kavala said, offering him a slight smile.

Then she rose and stretched again. “I’ll pay 5gm a day for a good guard who will be willing to work construction too. I can tell you are a good honest person. I like your philosophy on lying. Mine differs slightly. I don’t talk when I don’t want to tell the truth. I won’t outright lie, but I do not volunteer information I don’t want out there mainstream.” Kavala said with a chuckle. She began gathering her things then, stuffing them into a large pack. When the table was clean and all evidence that she’d been there was gone, she turned to him.

“Well, first course of action. If you are taking the job, you can come marketing with me. If you still need to think about it and decide to take the job later then you can find my facility up north outside the main gates and slightly off the Kabrian Road. I want you to think carefully and ask any questions you have. We can do that on the move because I can’t sit still any longer."
She said with a laugh, her body's bones popping slightly.

The Konti shouldered the pack, stretched one last time, and seemed to pause as if she was waiting for Adrien’s answer. IF he agreed, she’d start out of the square and down one of the deep warrens that made up the Bazaar. She dug into her belt pouch and pulled out a list she studied. Then she set off with a smile for Adrien, hoping he’d agree to the job, and follow her.

Her list was clearly read. Flour, Barley, Caramels, a selection of spices, a few rare herbs that weren’t blooming this time of year but whose components Kavala needed. The list was longer than she liked and the Konti took the time to concentrate, navigate the bazaar with the least amount of wasted trip, and still get back to the cart in plenty of time.
Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Adrien Dair on November 4th, 2014, 7:54 pm

22nd

The sense of peace he felt was odd as Kavala looked down and away before returning his gaze. It was almost as if she knew how he was feeling. He let out a small sigh of relief, no longer feeling the need to hold up the walls he had. She spoke the answer to his question. Studies us and she has Kelvics family members? Adrien smiled wider now. He watched as she moved and heard the words meant for his ears alone. He nodded, he did not exactly blame the Akalaks for how they were it was just something that he was not fond of. He looked down as she mentioned the whip and irons. He had never been a slave, being raised by two loving parents the best they could. He had been sheltered for the most part of his life. He had not made a lot of friends as a kid, never developing the social skills that others seemed to have. He had not faced the hard ships that others of his kind had faced.

His eyes finally returned to hers. To him it seemed as if she had gone into her own mind. Looking and fighting against some of her memories. He tilted his head slightly and waited. Watching her stand there before she began to blink and spoke rather quickly. He had a good name? He was not sure what that exactly entailed. She seemed angered by something, her fist clinched tightly. He was about to speak before she looked up at him with a rather apologetic look. He shook his head and said "everyone has some memories they have to fight against. Anger and sadness happen." He listened again as she told him the basics of what he would be doing. With a nod of his head he spoke again. "I can do all that, I can talk. It just takes me a little bit to know if someone is worth talking to."

"I would love the chance to get more used to it. Shyness can stop many things, including the chance to learn" he said. He smiled at her smile and watched her stand. Five GM a day would be enough for him to live off of and then some. He could buy books and tools to better himself. To increase his knowledge of subjects that he did not know or that required more money then he could spare at the moment. He watched her clear the table. His eyes drifted over her back side for a moment before she turned. His gaze quickly returning to her face.

He pondered the option for a moment. He had nothing else planned for the day and staying by Kavala would not be a bad way to spend it. He nodded and said "I would be glad to take the job." When she began to leave he would follow. Not saying much, his eyes looking around. Watching her hips sway and then away to the surrounding area out of fear of being caught.

His eyes landed on her list. Reading over the items she needed. His stomach growled at the idea of food. "What kind of Kevlic's are your niece and nephew?" he asked. It would be the first time he had interacted with another Kelvic. If he actually got to meet them. "How many animals are at this place? I've never actually messed with anything... Other then a few rare occasions in the Sea of Grass. When I go to change" he said with a shrug.

Adrien Dair
Adrien Dair
Seeker of the unseen

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Kavala on November 5th, 2014, 5:24 pm

The Konti woman smiled. For some reason the fact that the man was willing to take the job took some pressure off her. Finding good employees wasn’t as easy as it might seem on the surface. Most Akalak didn’t want the job because in many ways working with animals or around them in a farm type scenario was not their ideal situation. IF there was one thing the Konti had learned about Riverfall and its culture, it was that the Akalak were definitely not good farmers. There were vinters and folks that manned orchards that did fairly well, but in regards to simply raising crops and animals most of the races that did well in that situation were humans. But Kelvics, on the other hand, tended to work well with kelvics so that solved a lot of problems right off the bat. Even if Adrien wasn’t caretaking them, he still would have to interact with them on a daily basis. They took meals together, and often each person – despite their job – was known to lend a hand to another who needed assistance.

They talked as they walked, obviously some of the things on Kavala’s list lying scattered a great deal apart in the market. Sometimes, between explanations, she stopped and examined something in a booth that caught her eye or nodded to a vender that had something already set aside for her. Adrien found himself drafted to carry about every other package as Kavala’s purchases continued. Some she tucked delicately into her pack. Coin changed hands, but he’d note nothing she bought seemed frivolous. And as she walked, sometimes she nodded at people and sometimes a child would run up. The Konti had been in the city five years, half of which unbeknown to Adrien had been in servitude. Some knew her for her ex-Nakivak status. Some knew her because she’d helped deliver a litter of pups or had healed a favorite hunting birds broken wing. When she could she spoke their name and asked after their family or animals. But mostly she just nodded and sometimes offered a smile.

So it was a good thing he asked, Kavala thought, about the other kelvics around. After a few minutes she answered. It was not a deliberate pause, but more out of necessity of navigating the busy market and the fluctuating noise levels. “We have a variety that come and go. Riverfall tends to be thick with kelvics. Some are patients, some are customers. We have maternity patients who come in for the last stages of their pregnancies. We don’t confine them to their rooms, but let them roam as they will. So you will have to deal with both. My brother’s children are twins. Larik is an eagle kelvic, about two, and his sister is a house cat. Cadra cooks and does some minor housekeeping for us. I’ve let them both find their ways in life. She’s not really interested in medicine, but she is truly gifted as a cook. Larik doesn’t like people as much though he enjoys kelvic company. He guards herds that are out on the grass and acts as a scout. Sometimes he takes some of the other animals with him, but mostly he’s fully a loner. You’ll need to make friends with him. He is eyes in the sky when you really need them just like you can be boots on the ground. And if you need to run in your kelvic form for time off, I can put you in the guard rotation and you can wander out with the herds to keep an eye on them. I find with your kind it never does well to neglect your other half. Both need time.” The Konti said, smiling.

“In terms of the animals we have, we primarily board and raise horses. That is our main focus. The horses are a new breed called Denusk that we are developing for the Akalak. I want to perfect larger, smarter, and more heavily trained horses for defensive and offensive uses. I’m trying to get the best of both worlds in the horse realm. I’m not aiming for looks, but because the F1 generation was almost all born the night of the big djed storm in 512, they have a strangely iridescent coloring. What I’m more aiming for is brains and brawn. I want a thinking partner for people that ride the grass. I teach thme to manipulate crowds, stand guard, and fight unassisted by a rider so if the horse loses its rider it keeps fighting instead of dodging out of the battle.” Kavala said. Then she looked even more thoughtful as if counting up things in her head.
By this time she had at least a couple of things crossed off her list.
“In regards to The Sanctuary though, we are trying to be as self-sufficient as we can. To that end we have chickens for eggs and meat, goats for milk and meat, cows for the same, and then both a mews and a kennels. We have a couple of pigs we keep as well. I don’t like to be dependent. I also raise dogs. We used to have several varieties, but as the people who were working on them left or moved on, I’ve paired it down to mostly Imperial Watchers. They have free run of the place mostly, so I hope you don’t mind them. They are overly large and often go out with the herds to watch. Lazy by nature, they don’t mind following the horses, relaxing in the sun, and keeping an eye on things. They are enough, at times, to keep night lions at bay in the evenings”
Kavala said, smiling slightly, not sure if any of this interested him at all. The Konti really didn’t want to talk just shop, though she didn’t mind sharing about her life’s work. He’d find out what she had behind the walls of The Sanctuary soon enough.

Kavala was curious about him and his interests. She wondered what he liked to do but didn’t want to press him on his hobbies or interests too early in the game. It surprised her that he knew what Magecrafting was, but she figured they’d get to that conversation soon enough. With his brawn, she’d definitely ask for his help with the forge. In fact, if he knew enough carpentry, she might be able to bypass contractors altogether and just spend the coin for the framework for her reinmancy. So she threw out some bones in the conversation, hoping he’d bite and express some interest in some of the things available. “We do other things as well, Adrien. There’s a whole complex below ground where most of my family and employees live together. Everyone has their own room that’s furnished. Every two rooms share a washroom and latrine. We have a training room that includes an armory so we can work with weapons. There’s a temple for worship and above ground we have a healing clinic and a college that’s being built where we are going to train some young healers interested in the same thing I am.“ Kavala added, not sure what she was forgetting but knowing there was something.

“We all gather in a Commons which is set up something similar to a tavern with a kitchen off to the side. You can use the kitchen whenever you wish as we keep it stocked. There’s a larder as well. And deeper down into the cliff we rest upon there are laboratories for philtering and research. I also put in a greenhouse last season so we are going to be experimenting with that as well.” The Konti said, hoping she wasn’t piling too much information on the rhino at once. Though quiet, he seemed very intelligent and observant rather than simplistic. She liked that about him right away. In her mind kelvics didn’t merit dismissing. Instead they merited cultivation.

“You are welcome to use anything at the facility you want so long as you aren’t in anyone’s way who’s job it is to be at that specific place. We ask that folks help with clean up and chores too. If we have a gathering for meals, which we often do, we want you to jump in with the cook and help however you can, even if its just peeling some potatoes or setting the table. Everyone works. We can’t keep the place running unless everyone helps. But in return you get a whole host of new people to meet, interact with, and to be honest… we’re sort of a family. It’s mismatched and multicultural, but its still family.”
Kavala said.

She paused then to make a purchase, haggling with the vendor enthusiastically until she got what she wanted. It was a sharpening stone for kitchen knives for Cadra. The kelvic had asked for something finer than what she’d currently been using. Once that was done, Kavala turned once more to Adrien.

“What about you? Do you have any companions or dependents? Maybe a bondmate?”
The Konti asked curiously. She figured if the man minded the questions he’d shut her down immediately.
Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Adrien Dair on November 5th, 2014, 6:49 pm

22nd

He followed close enough behind her to hear anything she had to say to him. But stayed far enough away to give her space. He was well aware of what it was like to be crowded. His other self took up quiet a bit of room. The day had already been better then Adrien could have imagined it. He now had a job, or at least he believed that it was sure thing at this point, and had the chance to meet more of his kind. Though he could not help but wonder if he would fit in or if it would work out. But it was something he was willing to try.

He watched Kavala interact with people as they walked through the market. People, adult and children alike, came up to her without a problem. Talking to her and showing their gratitude and happiness. He tilted his head slightly. Wondering if that was possible for him. If people would see him walking down the street and would call out to him. Other then his parents, Adrien never really felt that others were happy to see him. He had not accomplished anything in his short life to make his name memorable to people. He sighed slightly and looked over some of the things in the market. Cooking supplies, gardening tools, a few daggers and knives here and there. His eyes turned back to the woman in front of him. Eyes trailing up her long legs till they came to rest in between her shoulder blades. To him she seemed to walk with such confidence and grace. She had a sense of who she was and no one was going to change that. He wondered if it had always been like that, from her talk about the irons earlier he wondered if there was a darker side to her past. But it was not his place to ask. He believe that if she wanted him to know she would tell him.

He listened intently as she began to speak about the Kelvics in her family and the ones who came to the Sanctuary. He pondered the idea of guarding the heard in his other form and being friends with an eagle. The idea of a bird of prey and a beast such as himself being friends made him smile. "Would Cadra teach someone how to cook?" he wondered. Cooking was something he was very poor at doing. Something that he thought was a basic skill, that he would be able to pick up easily. Yet it had not come to him. Most of the things he cooked burnt or spoiled. He remained quiet as she talked about them being friends and Adrien guarding the heard in his other form. It was true, it was a bit hard for him to spend a lot of time in his rhino form. The cities idea of Kevlics made it hard to believe that he was going to be kept as a pet for his size. His parents had agreed with the fact to. So he had to go to the sea of grass to change. But that would be different now. He could change freely around the Sanctuary and to that alone he was thankful. "I will do my best to talk to Larik. I know what its like to be a loner. Rhino's normally tend to roam alone." he said with an understanding nod of sorts. He noticed that he had really just given a hint about what he was. Even if she already knew that he was a Kelvic, he wondered if she had figured out what kind before his hint.

"I've never dealt with a horse before, riding or otherwise. I have been around dogs and cats that are here in the city. But I have not dealt with anything bigger. Though it should not be a problem. I can most likely prove to be an alpha in my other form. Though I heard goats can be kind of stubborn" he said with a chuckle. Part of him wondered if he would be able to fight a night lion. He had never seen one before but had heard a little about them in stories and readings. He smiled as she had described the dogs."As long as they keep the animals safe. Lazy is not always a bad thing" he said.

"Ah? Weapons. What kind? I have been interested in picking up some kind of sword. But have not found anything that really suited my interest" he said almost abruptly. Interrupting her, he looked down at the ground and coughed to clear his throat. "Sorry, I got a bit excited" he said. Waiting for her to finish talking before he would speak up again. "A temple and a college? Do you worship Syna in the temple?" he asked. His eyes lighting up at the idea that he could find others who prayed to the Goddess he held dear.

He nodded and smiled. "I will do anything needed of me and anything that I can do to help. I am very thankful for this opportunity." He watched her haggle with much interest. The way she spoke and bartered with the vendor was interesting to the man. He had spent very little time trying to work something out with a vendor, mostly taking everything at face value and paying what was asked. It was when she turned to him and looked eyes that her question came. He turned his eyes down and away from her. "I... No. Other then my parents, I do not have anyone really special to me. I have not connected with anyone to bond ether" he said, ashamed. An idea that something maybe wrong with him or that he would just be a bother to most popped into his mind until he shook his head. Forcing it out. "I have not met many who share any kind of interest with me." he shrugged and then returned her question. "Have you bonded with someone?" He wondered if that was a question that may have been to personal to ask and quickly followed up with a note. "You do not have to answer that. I sometimes ask questions without thinking about how it may come off."

Adrien Dair
Adrien Dair
Seeker of the unseen

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Kavala on November 9th, 2014, 5:22 am

The Konti chuckled. “My niece would teach a corpse to cook with a smile on her face and find the experience stimulating if she thought she could get away with it. That girl is so upbeat it sometimes makes me crazy. I’m sure you wouldn’t even have to work half hard to get her to show you a few things. She likes her job and enjoys the company making meals. I try to help her as much as I can, Adrien, but its not always easy. I have some responsibilities that keep me away sometimes. I’m lucky I make meals, though lately ….” She paused, looked sober for a moment as the good humor and joy seemed to drain out of her for a split second. “… its becoming more and more important for all of us to sit down to at least one common meal a day. There’s not enough time in life. And if we don’t, we’ll loose track of the little things in life. We won’t see time passing nor what is important. To me, that’s family and friends.” The Konti said, truly believing that everything else in her life was to that end. Her magic was to build up protection for her people. Her wealth was to give them what they needed. Her medical skills were to save their lives and healthy bodies. Even her horses were to give them reliable transportation. Sometimes it was overkill, but she knew from well over thirty years of enduring one hardship after another, that her worry was for real. Bad things happened. And if she planned and looked far enough ahead, some could be prevented or at least nullified.

“I don’t think Larik will need you to talk to him. He likes to be with people, but not always talk. You can spend quality time without a single word between you. Maybe he will appreciate, more than most, your desire not to fill the world with talk.” Kavala said, knowing her nephew was highly intelligent but just quiet. He could use more Kelvic friends, and even a male influence to become closer too. Maybe Adrien would have a good influence on him. Kavala was sure Larik would on Adrien.

“There’s something I should probably tell you about both of them.”
It was an awkward way to go about broaching the subject, but she wanted to give Adrien a bit of a heads up about them. Sure it was their personal business, but Kavala got the impression that Adrien was a bit older than the twins and perhaps had lived a better life. “I volunteer for a slaver… I go to heal his charges when he brings new batches in. He often imports Kelvics from Ravok that people don’t want. You know the type. Deer, squirrels, mice and the like. I do not like him nor do I stand for his slavery, but getting through his compound doors and doing him a favor by healing his charges free of coin gets me a better look at his operation and a better understanding of Riverfall. The Akalaks are wonderful folks, but they don’t treat Kelvics the way they should be treated. They have a sort of second class, pet status here, and it infuriates me. And while they mostly don’t keep slaves, they ‘import pets’ from Ravok via this man Haev. He’s a nasty sort. And sometimes I pick up some of the weaker ones that won’t make it without extensive treatment. It’s just one or two here or there, but it helps and makes me feel better about the bigger picture, even though its not acting to change that picture.” Kavala said, stating a sort of preamble to what she had to say next.

“My brother vanished. But before he did he had a Kelvic bondmate named Pygmy. She was a goat… a tiny gorgeous little woman. She became pregnant by Vanator and then left him. I’m not sure what happened between them. Shortly thereafter he vanished too. He was unknowing to me captured by the Zith and retained by them as a slave.”
She didn’t get into the fact that he was breeding stock and still had some trauma from his time as a captive.

“Anyhow, I was treating Haev’s charges and I ran across these young twins. One of the guards made a comment about them having captured their mother and she gave birth to them before she died. When he used it as a slander… “Your mother was a pygmy goat…” I knew the children were my kin. It broke my heart. I took them home. They have both had it really rough. Larik deals with it by his silences and being helpful I think is his way of saying hes grateful for the home and being rescued. Cadra deals with it with laughter, smiles and kindness. She reminds me of her mother. They both actually do. But they have scars and sadness in their eyes much too often for my taste. I try to do things to make them happy and to make them feel loved, but its not always easy. Cadra can’t sleep without someone reassuring her that nothing will come out of the dark at her. So they both share my bed. Her brother to protect her and her to feel safe. Often Larik sleeps perched on the headboard. We’ve modified it for him to have a comfortable roost. I know something about being captive and trapped myself, so even if they don’t realize it, their presence brings me comfort. I don’t want to ever see them hurt again, so I make them train and be strong. I make them live well. And I see to it they are exposed to good things, new experiences, and that they never grow bored. Hopefully you can see to it yourself to tell them good stories and be kind to them… give them new experiences as well. They need to learn that strangers aren’t always there to hurt them.”
Kavala said, then met Adrien briefly in the eyes. She wanted him to understand how important her family was to her. The Kelvics were no less so than her own children, which she failed to mention.

"Almost a year after rescuing them, I found their father there too. He'd been traded to the Rattling Chains, Hae's place, for females by the zith."
Kavala confessed, her eyes troubled.

Her gift was wide open, and she kept waiting for a sense of anger, boredom, some sort of emotion to come from Adrien that would steer her away from personal talk. But he didn’t give her that at all. He seemed interested and though he didn’t crowd her as they moved through the market, he did keep close enough they could speak easily.

She stopped at another set of booths and started browsing men’s clothing in a section of the market designed for men’s goods.

It seemed an odd choice, but she looked at him then back at the selection and picked up an assortment of things. First she grabbed a sturdy leather apron at a booth for leather goods. Gloves went into the pile as well along with sturdy leather work boots that she took a moment to stare at Adrien’s feet before selecting. Almost as an afterthought she added a belt. At another booth nearby, she stopped to pick up four cotton shirts, four tunics, and some sturdy cotton pants that looked like they could take hard work. When she could no longer carry the pile, she turned to Adrien and carefully handed most of it to him.

“You’ll need these things where we are going. You didn’t say you had much in the way of stuff, but before we leave town do you want to go anywhere and pick anything up?”
She asked, curious as to where he lived now and how much he had in terms of things to pack. “We go through a lot of clothing at The Sanctuary. If someone doesn’t bleed on you gardening or butchering or even fighting off Zith take its toll. I always feel like I owe people clothing. This way I’ll be ahead next time I drag you into the operating room to help me move a patient that’s too heavy for me.” She said, smiling and hoping he didn’t mind her color selections for him and the sizes she thought would fit.

She paid for the clothing all out of a coin belt pouch she carried with her at her waist. And since Adrien was routinely letting his eyes drop down below her belt when she turned to lead him to the next vender, he caught a first hand eyeful of the thief that darted out of the crowd and soft as a feather cut the belt pouch from Kavala’s waist. The Konti didn’t even blink, didn’t feel anything, and certainly hadn’t realized she’d been robbed.

The thin fellow that had cut the belt pouch loose glanced at Adrien, smiled wickedly, and darted off into the crowd. He was decidedly human or Kelvic, and had a wicked gleam in his eye.

Adrien’s Clothing :
Leather Apron- 6sm
Set of Leathers – 20 gm
Four Cotton shirts – 5 sm
Four Cotton tunics – 2.5 gm
Four Trousers Cotton – 4gm
Leather Gloves - 2 gm
Leather Work Boots – 6sm
Warm Work Jacket – 9 sm
Leather Belt – 4 sm
Total= 27.75 GM

(Feel free to pick the colors and designs).
Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Adrien Dair on November 9th, 2014, 6:39 am

22nd

He listened as she spoke, his respect a mixture of gratitude and utter interest in every word she spoke. Adrien felt the need to speak up when she mentioned about not making meals but he would wait. Nodding along when she mentioned loosing track in life and missing the small but important things. "My parents are important to me. I have not had the chance to really meet others. Most of the people I pass in the street, I am afraid that some how they'll find out that I am what I am. Which by the way is not a animal you can keep in the house. I have rage and anger that I some times can not control. I try my best through meditation. But it sometimes slips." he paused looking up to her face. To see if she had any sign of worry or question about what he had just said. "I want to be close to people. I am afraid that I'll hurt them or they will hurt me if I do. Not that I am a threat to your family or friends!" The last sentence shooting out quickly. "I just need you to know that I am not a horse or deer or anything like that. I am a lot bigger and a lot stronger" he said. There was a slight tremble in his voice. This had always been the part in his nightmares that the people he grew close to walked away at. Just left him to be alone again, he shook his head and looked up at her.

Again she spoke, but this time it was a bit more then he thought that he would hear to begin with. He did not think that she would tell him about the twins history. But his ears hung on every word and his fist clinched in frustration. An anger for slavers and the like. Though he had been raised in a house with two loving parents part of him felt like he should have been in the same situation as the twins. Some part of his wanted to know how that truly felt. To be sold like you were nothing. A lough breath was pushed out of his nose. The anger and frustration being over taken by a slight calming feeling. He looked at her as she spoke. The idea of the three of them together to make each other feel safe set of a slight ting of jealousy.

"I will try to show them that not everyone in the world is bad." he said a few ticks passing as he looked around the market. "I will also promise that as long as I am there you wont have to worry about anyone hurting them or taking them away." he said just loud enough for her to hear it though it was slightly mumbled. "I am not a fan of slavers. Though it is probably obvious given what I am" he said. "I want to find a way to rid the world of them. But I would settle for Riverfall right now" he said.

He watched as she picked out clothing from the booths. His eyes looking at hers every time she turned to look at him. Then she handed him the clothing and he looked down at it. Then back up to her. "Why? You.. I..." he said wanting to argue. But after a few brief ticks the urge was gone. "Thank you" he said with a slight nod. He stood there and waited. Listing to what she had to say and shaking his head. "You are giving me a job and a place to stay where I can be me. All of me" he said. "You do not owe me anything". He watched his eyes sliding down from her shoulders as she turned away from him. They had only been there for a tick when Adrien saw a thin man cut loose her coin pouch and take off. "Thief" he semi shouted. Dropping the things he was holding and taking off after the man.

Dodging and weaving, Adrien pushed himself through the crowd trying to chase after the dude. "Get back here!" he yelled. He reached out trying to grab the mans shirt but only felt the fabric on his finger tips. He continued to fight his way through the crowd. Using his muscular figure to fight against the others that filled the market. Adrien fought the urge to switch, the logic battling in his mind. He could run faster and most certainly catch the man. It would not be a problem then. But the Akalaks would react to the fear that was caused by it. A sudden nearly three thousand pound animal with a horn in the market. He was sure he could fight most of them off and be able to escape but then what. He would wander the sea of grass until something killed him

He continued to fight the sea of people. Finally his fingers hooked into the back of the mans shirt just enough for hims to be able to pull him backwards. Adrien reached for the coin pouch. Trying to snag it before the man got away again. Reaching out his fist clinched shut as a sharp pain shot through his jaw. The thief had caught him square in the jaw. The rhino pulled back. Anger taking in his eyes as he swung as the man. Catching his side as he stood up. The thief stumbled and pushed him backwards, taking off with the coin pouch. He rubbed his jaw and groaned. His eyes scanned the market for Kavala.

He began walking back in the direction that he thought she was in. His jaw swelling and sore. He was grumbling under his breath as he made his way back to her. He stopped in front of her and looked towards her face but avoided her eyes. "He got away" he said. The red on his jaw swelling slightly. "I tried to get him. But he punched me in the jaw when I went for the pouch and got away" he grumbled. A sense of failing over taking the young man. He did his best to avoid her eyes. "Not a very good showing for a would be guard right?" he chuckled slightly his eyes meeting hers. He shook his head. "No I can get anything I need later" he said. A smile spreading on his face as his mood changed again. A slight hope that she might not think to much of the incident.

Adrien Dair
Adrien Dair
Seeker of the unseen

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Next