PM to join [Riverside Isle Park] Fight Fire with Fire. (Deltan Colari)

Deltan and Fire practice.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Regime

[Riverside Isle Park] Fight Fire with Fire. (Deltan Colari)

Postby Firenze on November 6th, 2014, 1:50 am

71 Fall 514 AV


Breathing heavy, Firenze walked up to the reflecting pool, a cool breeze blowing gently on her face. She sat down next to the edge of the water and trying to catch her breath after the long walk. I really need to get in better shape, this is bad if I'm getting out of breath after a long walk, she made a mental note to try to start working out. Sticking her hand in the cold water, and holding her fingers together to make a small cup, Fire scooped some of the water and ran it over her flushed face. After a few chimes, her breathing beginning to subside, she glanced around at the surrounding area. Wanting to get away from the hustle and bustle and animosity in town she decided to spend some time at the park. She'd mostly went to the woods to get her daily dose of sunshine and fresh air but decided that the park might be a nice change of scenery. She hadn't been here often, but she always enjoyed it when she did. Making another mental note to visit the Isle more often, she turned slightly and propped her leg up on the edge, glancing down at the sun dancing on the waters surface she ran her fingers over the top, making the calm liquid ripple in their wake.

Finally beginning to feel more like herself, she got up and walked around taking in the different sights. Trees surrounding she tried to peek through them to get glimpses of the city she called home. She looked around trying to spy the red hair of her new friend. Bumping into him at the spring had been an interesting yet rewarding experience. She made a new friend and now she had someone to practice her not so great fighting with, wanting to make sure with all the unrest that had been happening in the city that she knew how to protect herself. She wasn't bad at throwing a punch, but she wasn't the greatest either, so she decided to get some training. The kids in the orphanage were a little rough around the edges and skirmishes tended to happen when living in tight quarters, she'd had to learn how to protect herself some when they decided to pick on her because she was different then them. Calling her names and punching her were many of the taunts they would do, Hey, giant, you're still a baaaaby! You can't play with us! or they would enjoy a rousing game of "whacking sticks", which pretty much consisted of them grabbing a big stick and whacking her with it without getting hit.

She didn't mind though because they had to sleep sometime, so she would sneak over to their bunks and put their hands in a cup of water so they'd wake up with themselves soaked in their own fluids, or hide their clothes from them. They didn't know it was her, of course, but she always loved a little chuckle when they were running around in their undergarments trying to find their clothing. She really didn't mind if they got in trouble for being late for something because of it either. She laughed to herself, continuing to swirl her fingers in the water. She didn't mind waiting on Deltan, it was unusually nice out for how late it was getting in the season, perfect for fighting.

She wondered if she was going to have issues with her side aching while she was trying out her moves, or Deltan trying out his. She was healing up rather nicely, though she kind of hoped that she wouldn't have a nasty scar after it was finished. Although, she didn't mind if she did have one because it would give her a little body a little character and a good story to tell. That, and who didn't have a scar in Sunberth? Most people she has met had a scar of some sort on their body. She had a few small ones from when she was younger but they weren't very noticeable, unless you pointed them out.

Finally after a few chimes went by she heard her name being called out, turning to see where it was coming from, she spied the flaming red hair and brilliant blue eyes walking toward her. His hair blew around in the wind and the sun shone through it making appear as if he had a halo of flame around his head. Deltan walked quickly toward her and she was excited to began.

OOC InfoWord Count = 756
Last edited by Firenze on January 16th, 2015, 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Firenze
Food, or Friend?
 
Posts: 803
Words: 653399
Joined roleplay: October 8th, 2014, 8:25 pm
Location: Sunberth
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)
2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

[Riverside Isle Park] Fight Fire with Fire. (Deltan Colari)

Postby Deltan Colari on November 9th, 2014, 10:17 pm



Deltan made his way toward the Isle, humming softly under his breath. He carried nothing of value on him, worn boots and ragged cloak speaking of how little he had to steal. Proving you weren't worth the trouble seemed almost as good protection as a nice, sturdy blade. ...Not quite as much, of course. That was why he still wore his cloak. The uncertainty of whether he was armed or not acted in his favor; in this city, only fools or those with no choice went unarmed. In his case, he was the latter. He still had to purchase a weapon.

In the meantime, the young man had decided to see if he could get a bit of practice in hand to hand combat. Who knew when the need would arise? Unfortunately, Deltan had only met one person who was interested in sparring. Firenze was a nice girl, he supposed, but she hardly seemed the sort to do much fighting. How was he supposed to spar with her when he suspected he might seriously hurt her?

No matter; Firenze had suggested it, after all. Deltan had wanted to refuse, but he did owe her for her gift. What else could he do, but give in? Deltan wouldn't let her win, but he'd certainly not try his hardest. At least, not if she wasn't stronger than she looked.

Once the young man was in the park, he took in a deep breath, letting it out with a smile. Having grown up in Syliras, Deltan's only experience with greenery was that in the wilderness outside his home city...Which was both beautiful and deadly. This? It was simply pretty, and thoroughly enjoyable. He glanced around, taking a few moments to catch sight of his new friend seated by the reflecting pool, fingers tracing in the water. "Firenze!" he called to get her attention, picking up the pace.

As he drew closer, he noted the excitement in Firenze's features. It lightened the guilt Deltan still felt at (magically) convincing her to give him money to see that. The young man had taken his time walking here, so he was not at all out of breath. It was a conscious choice; he hadn't wanted to spar at anything less than his peak. Not this time, at least. The young man held his hand out to Firenze in an offer to help her up to her feet. "How are you?" he inquired as a greeting, teeth flashing in a smile. "Ready to start?"

User avatar
Deltan Colari
Player
 
Posts: 83
Words: 76375
Joined roleplay: October 14th, 2014, 10:22 pm
Location: Sunberth
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

[Riverside Isle Park] Fight Fire with Fire. (Deltan Colari)

Postby Firenze on November 13th, 2014, 6:13 pm

Image
71 Fall 514 AV

Deltan approached and smiled at her and held his hand out to her to help her to her feet. She took it and stood up, ready to get some training done. "How are you?" Deltan asked, "Ready to start?" She smiled back at him, "I'm good! Yes, let's get started." She walked over to an open area a few ticks from the water and turned to face him. Kicking a few leaves and twigs to the side, trying to clear a path that they could practice.

"I am no expert in unarmed, and I'm not sure how this lesson will go, but we can work through it together," She was excited to get started and really see what they could accomplish, and hopefully teach themselves. She didn't know if he thought she knew what she was doing or not, but her last comment should make that clear, that they may as well be on the same level as fighting. She'd been in a few fights in her life, but they didn't always turn out in her favor.

"First, we should remove our weapons. Personally, I don't feel like getting stabbed or killed today," She laughed, removing the dagger from her side and setting it on the ground only a few ticks away so she could keep an eye on it, "Let's put them somewhere we can see, I really don't feel like having my things stolen. I'm sure you don't as well. We can always practice using them with our fighting once we get a little better at things," Firenze stood back up and faced Deltan. She pulled her hair back from her face and secured it with a piece of string that she'd been keeping around her wrist. She didn't need her hair getting in the way and giving him and advantage.

"Ok, so first thing. We have to be able to defend ourselves, right? So... maybe try to hit me?" Firenze spread her feet a little trying to make sure she was stable enough that if Deltan hit her hard she wouldn't go flying... just land on her rear end. Holding her hands up to try to protect her face, one on either side, her fingers curled in, she waited for Deltan to try to hit her and see if she could keep him from hurting her.

OOC InfoWord Count = 389
.
User avatar
Firenze
Food, or Friend?
 
Posts: 803
Words: 653399
Joined roleplay: October 8th, 2014, 8:25 pm
Location: Sunberth
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)
2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

[Riverside Isle Park] Fight Fire with Fire. (Deltan Colari)

Postby Deltan Colari on November 15th, 2014, 3:42 am



Deltan chuckled at Firenze's eagerness, assisting her in scraping the ground clear of leaves. The woman's admission of her lack of practice in unarmed combat made Deltan's shoulders relax, and he smiled back at her. "Neither am I," he replied, "I use swords, not fists." Indeed, he had no true fighting experience. His gaze swept over Firenze's form, deciding that she very well might be a threat, unarmed. She was built like a hunter, with lithe muscles that could perhaps rival his, without Flux (which he certainly wouldn't use!). Perhaps he'd win in an arm wrestle, but she very well might be faster.

With that, the young man took up a position on one side of the cleared area, watching Firenze disarm with a stiff sort of calmness. He stared at her for a few moments, heat coloring his cheeks. He had no weapon to take off, and it stung. Still, he laughed along with her...Even if it did sound a little strained. "Wouldn't want that to happen," he agreed, trying to push his own lack of a weapon from his mind. "I'll keep an eye on your knife," Deltan offered with a smile, deciding it was the proper thing to do.

Deltan bent down to snug his boots somewhat and tuck in his shirt to avoid having the thing waving around. When he saw Firenze tying her hair aside, he became uncomfortably aware of how his own hair was just long enough to be nice and easy to grab. If he could have done something about it, he would have. As it was, he just had to hope she wasn't in the mood to yank and grab. So that was why so many mercenaries shaved their heads.

"Ok, so first thing. We have to be able to defend ourselves, right? So... maybe try to hit me?" With that, the young woman got into a set defensive stance to protect herself.

Deltan had to think a moment to process that. She wanted him to hit first? Deltan had never actually sparred with a woman before, and it really seemed wrong to him now that he actually had to hit her. He just imagined hitting her, and had to suppress a wince. What if he hurt her? Well, nothing for it now, he supposed...

Not putting his full weight into it, the young man planted his feet, made a fist, and swung an inelegant punch at Firenze's side, spinning enough at the heel to put enough force into it to make it hurt...if she wasn't tensed as she surely was. Deltan knew he was setting himself up for failure, but hitting a lady first just didn't seem right to someone like him. Maybe it would get easier. He hoped it would, or he was in for a rough time trying to keep her from pounding him while he tried to win without hurting her.

User avatar
Deltan Colari
Player
 
Posts: 83
Words: 76375
Joined roleplay: October 14th, 2014, 10:22 pm
Location: Sunberth
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

[Riverside Isle Park] Fight Fire with Fire. (Deltan Colari)

Postby Firenze on November 16th, 2014, 2:13 am

Image
71 Fall 514 AV

Rocking back and forth on her feet, almost in a motion as if she were preparing to pounce, Firenze readied herself for the punch. Watching as Deltan moved closer, he spread his legs in the same fashion as her, clenching his fist and pulling his arm back, he swung toward her in the direction of her right side. As he turned into the punch, she turned into it as well, pulling her arm down from the side of her face, swinging it and trying to bat his arm out of the way or block it if she could.

Her forearm connected with his wrist, just as his knuckles started to brush her skin. Her arm still in the motion of swinging back, brought his in the path as well. His arm flung out in a wild arch away from her body and back toward him.

Bringing her hand back to her face, she prepared herself again as he made another swing for her, this time aiming for her other side. She did not want him hitting her there, considering the still tender scars. Wanting to beat him to the punch, she reached out for his fist that was heading toward her and pushed it ungracefully back in his direction, trying to keep him from putting her on her knees. That would be an awkward position! Fire thought to herself.

The force he put behind the swing had her hand stinging as she grabbed for it trying to redirect where his fist would land. Unfortunately, while she was trying to keep him from hitting her on her scars, he had swung again with his other hand. She caught the motion out of the corner of her eye, just before it struck her.

He landed the blow to her ribs, knocking the wind out of her, "Oooomph!" All of her wind leaving her lungs rapidly, she threw her hands up palms to him, trying to let him know to give her a second, and bent over slightly. Grabbing her ribs with her hand, she tried to get a couple deep breaths in, "That was a good punch," rubbing where he hit her.

She put her hands onto her knees and gave herself a second. Looking up, trying to keep her breathing regular, she saw Deltan watching her. Laughing roughly, she smiled, "Don't worry about... hitting me... you can't learn... without getting hurt. I'll say you did... pretty good there."

OOC InfoWord Count = 407
.
User avatar
Firenze
Food, or Friend?
 
Posts: 803
Words: 653399
Joined roleplay: October 8th, 2014, 8:25 pm
Location: Sunberth
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)
2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

[Riverside Isle Park] Fight Fire with Fire. (Deltan Colari)

Postby Deltan Colari on November 18th, 2014, 12:29 am



Deltan's first punch was deflected, Firenze moving startlingly fast in order to keep his blow from connecting. Even as he shifted his weight to bring his other fist to bear, the young man was impressed with Firenze's quickness. She was light on her feet, and there was something graceful in the way she moved. Firenze had the grace and balance of a cat.

Clearly, she was also better trained in unarmed combat, too. Had she come at him like that, Deltan would have had no choice but to take the punches and keep going. Granted, his size was an advantage, though she was obviously the faster of the pair.

Deltan let out a grunt of surprise as Firenze yet again redirected his punch, this time causing him to stagger forward. Growing annoyed with the evasive tactics, the young man threw his weight into this final punch, aiming either to hit her or to tackle her if need be.

That blow caught her in the ribs, and the breath escaped Firenze's lungs in a rush. Deltan stumbled, having to jerk to the side to avoid bowling her over. When he got straight, he saw Firenze bent over her knees, trying to regain her breath. The young man straightened with a smile, sweat glistening on his brow and his own breathing somewhat heavy.

Despite that, there was concern in his eyes. "Are you sure you're all right?" He asked, torn between keeping a defensive stance and moving over to try to help her sit down or something. In the end, he compromised by standing nearby. "I didn't mean to hit you that hard."

Deltan didn't know why he was apologizing; they were sparring, after all. It was only to be expected. Deciding to offer what advice he could, the young man added, "You should be on the offensive. I don't think I could do everything you did to keep me from hitting you."

Deltan cursed himself silently; of course he'd hit her with the one punch that was actually meant to be deflected. Well, he hoped he'd feel less guilty if they sparred together more often. Taking a couple steps back, Deltan fell into a defensive stance and waited for Firenze to gather herself and get back into position.

User avatar
Deltan Colari
Player
 
Posts: 83
Words: 76375
Joined roleplay: October 14th, 2014, 10:22 pm
Location: Sunberth
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

[Riverside Isle Park] Fight Fire with Fire. (Deltan Colari)

Postby Firenze on November 19th, 2014, 2:07 am

Image
71 Fall 514 AV

Deltan walked back, standing in almost the same spot he'd been before, "You should be on the offensive. I don't think I could do everything you did to keep me from hitting you." Hands still on her knees, she tipped her head up, watching him prepare himself and get in another defensive stance.

Taking a few more deep breaths, the pain subsiding, she stood up and shuffled her feet apart, her left slightly in front of her right. Putting her hands back up near her face, she felt kind of stiff. Deltan waited for her to throw her punches. She hoped that she'd be able to land at least one but she wasn't sure that she'd even be able to do that.

Here goes nothing! Fire stepped forward, swinging her arm out, it arched rather wide and completely missed Deltan. Whizzing by him, she could feel the self made breeze as it traveled near him. She decided to try again, this time throwing her off hand in his general direction, hoping that it would land. Taking another step forward, she tried to throw the punch, her arm still kind of wide. It flew by him again.

Getting a little frustrated, she pulled her arm back, swung as hard as she could, stepping into the punch, trying to get closer. The same result happening, she swung and she missed. This time however, the force that she had tried to put behind the punch had thrown her off balance. Her arm following her wild fist, her shoulder following her arm and the rest of her body following her shoulder. She flew past him, almost completely spinning around. Thankfully, she didn't land on her rear, making a fool of herself in front of someone that she was supposed to be training.

Stumbling a little, she turned around and planted her feet again. Putting her hands back up to her face, fingers curled slightly, Fire prepared herself to swing again. Hoping that she wouldn't miss this time. She was the instructor after all, how bad would it look to him if she couldn't even land a punch and he'd managed to jab her in the ribs? Squinting her eyes, she focused on Deltan, drew in a deep breath and readied herself.

This time she kept her arm closer to her body, trying to take a shot underneath where he held his arms. She started moving her dominant arm, acting as though she were going to throw it again, faking the punch, she threw her left fist and struck him in the gut. It wasn't really where she was aiming, but she was glad that she'd actually hit him that time.


OOC InfoWord Count = 446
.
User avatar
Firenze
Food, or Friend?
 
Posts: 803
Words: 653399
Joined roleplay: October 8th, 2014, 8:25 pm
Location: Sunberth
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)
2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

[Riverside Isle Park] Fight Fire with Fire. (Deltan Colari)

Postby Deltan Colari on November 20th, 2014, 9:27 pm



Deltan felt relief as Firenze straightened, proving that he'd done no more than wind her with his strike. Really, he hadn't even anticipated that it would do that much. That first punch made Deltan leap back to avoid it before he realized that it would have missed him completely anyway. The second was much the same, and Deltan moved a bit less to avoid it, seeming confused. Why was she missing? Surely she was better than this... She had offered to show him a thing or two, after all.

The third blow received little more than a flinch; now that he knew what a missed punch looked like, he couldn't help but smirk a little. This blow flew past him much more quickly than the others, clearly having had quite a bit of force behind it. The young woman stumbled past him, the force of her punch almost spinning her about in the process. Luckily, she caught herself before she fell. Deltan had a hard time suppressing a grin, and succeeded only minimally. The young man chuckled a little before he could stop himself. Really, she was messing up on the only thing he was truly good at; body dynamics. One had to have some skill in it, to use Flux with any sort of safety. Too much force, and you could hurl yourself against a wall when you swung your sword. Or rip your arm from its socket, as he'd heard recounted in gory detail by his tutor.

Deltan drew his attention back to Firenze, still smiling at her in amusement. She had caught herself and had time to get back into position, and was already throwing a wide punch. Finally, Deltan could hold it in no longer. He let out a loud laugh before the fist even passed him, and the laugh was ripped from his lungs an instant after it had begun, Firenze's off hand connecting solidly with his stomach and forcing all the air from him.

Deltan let out a sort of wheeze as he promptly staggered sideways and sat down hard on his rear, gasping loudly for breath and clutching his now-aching side. Come to think of it, his entire abdomen ached. Deltan squeezed his eyes shut, berating himself for getting overconfident. Just because he wasn't using Flux didn't mean he could afford to get cocky, especially with a superior opponent. After a minute or so of loud breathing, Deltan was finally able to gather the strength to open his eyes, look at Firenze, and say in a breathy voice, "You're... stronger than... you look, Firenze..." Accompanying Deltan's words was a small, self-deprecating smile. He felt quite the fool as he hauled himself unsteadily to his feet, holding up a hand to stave off any further attacks. He needed a moment, or she'd be able to handily pummel him to the ground again. Beat by a girl... Deltan didn't think women the weaker sex or some similar silliness, but the thought drew a wry chuckle from his lips as he looked over at Firenze, still trying to will away the pain in his side.

OOCSorry about the delay, Firenze. Been a couple busy days, preparing for Thanksgiving Break.
User avatar
Deltan Colari
Player
 
Posts: 83
Words: 76375
Joined roleplay: October 14th, 2014, 10:22 pm
Location: Sunberth
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

[Riverside Isle Park] Fight Fire with Fire. (Deltan Colari)

Postby Firenze on November 21st, 2014, 5:19 pm

Image
71 Fall 514 AV

Deltan fell to the side after her fist landed in his stomach, she hadn't meant to hit him that hard, she just wanted to land a punch. She noticed that while she was swinging at him he had started laughing and that fueled her fire a little, making her want to hit him. Well.. they were trying to learn how to fight, and in fighting you had to learn how to take a couple hits. So getting hit might mean... she's actually teaching him something! Firenze hid a smile at the thought, trying to make sure that Deltan didn't think that she was laughing at him.

"You're... stronger than... you look, Firenze..." Deltan wheezed and Firenze's face flushed with crimson. "Oh, well... thank you. I'll take that as a compliment," she smiled, holding out her hand to help him back to his defensive position. He released a small chuckle and Fire went back to where she had been standing.

She tried to think of what else they should learn. Punching wasn't the only thing that you can do when you're fighting, what else is there... kicking? Yeah. Biting? ... maybe. Tackling? ... possibly. She figured they should probably not do the biting, that might be more of a last resort thing. Except in her case, where she really preferred biting, more so when she was in her tiger form.

Kicking sounded like the best course of action to Firenze. She went and stood back in the spot that she had started in, separating her feet and readying her hands. She waited until Deltan came back around and said, "Okay, this time instead of punching we'll try kicking."

Firenze, hoped that he didn't mind continuing because she was starting to enjoy herself, even if it did hurt a little bit. She didn't like learning letters or arithmetic, but fighting was something that she could do. She liked the feeling of her muscles burning and sweat beading on her skin. It made her feel more alive. She didn't mind relaxing either of course, bathing in cool pools of water was her favorite thing, but sometimes it was nice to get in a nice work out before dipping into the cool waters.

As Deltan came back to his starting position, she waited until he was ready to fight again. "See if you can block my leg with your forearm, make sure to keep your arm close to your body. Once you block me a few times then we can have you try kicking at me and I'll block it for you. We'll start with mid-kicks, I'll be aiming for your torso." She stepped her right foot back behind her left, bouncing on the ball of her foot, her body following suit, arms still close to her body. Her left side facing Deltan as she moved her right to prepare for the kick.

As her foot bounced off the ground, she pulled it up, feeling the muscles in her back, rear and leg tightening. She swung her foot, pointing it as a dancer might, and tried to make the top of her foot face Deltan. The hardest part of her lower leg, the top of her shin, aimed for his side. Her torso turned with the kick trying to make sure that she stayed steady on her planted foot, her knee bent slightly. Her shin hadn't connected with him, but the top of her foot had. His forearm smacked her skin as if a bee had just been angered and stung her, a bright red splotch blossomed on her sensitive skin from the contact.

It hadn't put her down, but she definitely felt when they had connected. As they bounced off each other, she tried to make sure that her leg swung back around and underneath her to keep her from losing her balance. "That was pretty good! I think we might be better at this then punching," Fire chuckled and smiled at the somewhat successful kick she had made and block that Deltan had done.

A few more kicks, some stinging skin and Fire was starting to feel the burn in her back, rear and back of her thighs. She settled herself for a moment, standing with her legs apart and her hands on her hips, "Let's take a break for a few ticks and then you can try kicking at me, how does that sound? And please, don't hesitate in kicking me even though I'm a woman. There are some dangerous men and women out there and you'll have to know how to fight them, right? It might be better that you are learning with me, because then if you get attacked by a woman it would be less hard to react," Fire smiled, pleased that she had thought of that.

OOC InfoWord Count = 797
Others | Firenze | Thoughts

.
User avatar
Firenze
Food, or Friend?
 
Posts: 803
Words: 653399
Joined roleplay: October 8th, 2014, 8:25 pm
Location: Sunberth
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)
2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

[Riverside Isle Park] Fight Fire with Fire. (Deltan Colari)

Postby Deltan Colari on November 23rd, 2014, 5:15 am



The young woman flushed at Deltan's compliment, and he grinned at her blush before he could stop himself. Quickly, he sobered and put on a straight face, pretending not to notice, though his blue eyes glittered in amusement. Really, Deltan felt flattered.

As Firenze offered her hand to help him up, Deltan seemed surprised. In his own training, he'd been taught never to help an opponent up or accept the same courtesy. It was a show of trust, which shouldn't exist between combatants. Still, Firenze meant it kindly.

Though he was tempted to knock her down for her offer, Deltan didn't think she would take it well. Besides, he didn't want to see what Firenze would do if he actually made her angry. Instead, Deltan gripped her hand and allowed her to help him up with a smile and thanks.

Firenze's suggestion was met with skepticism. Kicking? Deltan didn't think he could get his leg up high enough to do more than hit her thigh. He wasn't exactly the most agile person around, after all. Fortunately, the huntress took the first turn. Good; he could see how it was done properly.

She made it easy for him, both telling him where she would aim and getting her body ready visibly so he could anticipate it without much problem. The young woman bounced off one heel and sent her other leg darting toward him, Deltan raised his arm as instructed, hand closed into a fist reflexively though he knew it wouldn't help much.

Deltan's block had been low, and the top of Firenze's foot collided with his wrist with a painful thud. Letting out a grunt of pain, the young man ignored the pain. Aside from biting off a pained curse, of course. It helped that, as a Fluxer, he was often sore from overtaxed joints and muscles. Deltan swore he would end up crippled even if he never overgave.

Fortunately, Firenze didn't weigh much. He had to brace himself, but he didn't think he was in any danger of being knocked down from a block. Deltan blocked another few kicks, occasionally doing it fairly well but usually having her shin or foot smacking painfully against the wrong part of his arm. By the end of it, Firenze wasn't the only one with red skin. The young man thought might have a few bruises the next morning.

As Firenze let her guard down, Deltan took a step back and shook his now-aching arm out a bit. Thinking back, he wondered something. Could he have grabbed her leg and tugged her off balance? With the Flux, very likely he could pick up that trick with a bit of practice. Then again, if he were to do such a thing in combat, he'd be better off just grabbing the person's leg and snapping it. It would risk his own arms if he did it wrong, but success would mean a sure victory.

Deltan flushed a bit as Firenze commented on his reluctance to hit her. Had it been that obvious? He chuckled a little awkwardly, one hand running through copper hair as it usually did when he was embarrassed and not quite sure what to say. "I'll do my best," he replied, returning her smile.

The young man was breathing somewhat heavily, and he hoped his blush hadn't been very obvious; he was already flush from the exertion of their practice, after all. Deltan folded his arms, pausing to catch his breath. To make conversation, he asked, "So... How do you know so much about barehand fighting? I thought a hunter relied on surprise. Can't see you sneaking up on a deer." The bodyguard laughed softly at the image of Firenze running barefoot through the forest, chasing after a buck without so much as a bow.



User avatar
Deltan Colari
Player
 
Posts: 83
Words: 76375
Joined roleplay: October 14th, 2014, 10:22 pm
Location: Sunberth
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests