Completed In Earnest of Faith

Inoadar secures financial backing

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A city floating in the center of a lake, Ravok is a place of dark beauty, romance and culture. Behind it all though is the presence of Rhysol, God of Evil and Betrayal. The city is controlled by The Black Sun, a religious organization devoted to Rhysol. [Lore]

In Earnest of Faith

Postby Inoadar on November 17th, 2014, 6:19 am

xxxxxxx3rd Day of Fall, 514
Inoadar

The poisoner was somewhat surprised that there had been no contact since his visit the season before. It was not even at the end of the season. Nearly a full season had passed without any indication that the offer was still open.

The season before, he had initiated a treatment for a morpher named Daegron. It had resulted favorably, though at terrible cost in suffering for his patient. At one point, he decided to try, not only complete immobility of the patient, but actual encasement in a fused and immoveable suit of plate armor.

He'd come to the conclusion, from a series of tests, that Daegron had inflicted a semi-permanent state of over given psychosis, that triggered an insanely aggressive alter ego whenever he initiated a morph. But he also suffered severe pains from his body trying to return to its normal form when he didn't morph. Inoadar guessed he had over given his djed and over stretched his body at some point.

He had to create a way to make morphing more painful and difficult than NOT morphing. With the assistance of both Doctor Mazetti and Thorin Valdinox, of Thorin's Forge, he'd put Daegron into the plate suit. But not before wrapping him in bandages to restrict even the little bit of leeway inside the suit. As well, the bandages had been treated with Phantom Shell toxin, and interspersed with lacerating shards.

The toxin made the body far more sensitive to pain. The bindings would leave no room for any real morphing. But any that Daegron attempted would only drive the lacerating shards into skin made more sensitive to pain than normal. The idea had apparently captured the imagination of a highly placed member of Thorin's family, The Valdinox. A woman's voice had come from the shadows beyond the glare of the forges, asking Inoadar to elaborate on his reasons for requesting a fused plate suit.

She was the one who'd instructed Thorin to aid him with inserting the sleeping morpher into the suit. Further discussion had resulted in her recognizing that Inoadar was not averse to entering into a contract of mutual gain and service. She knew a lot of people would run from such an offer, figuring that they would somehow end up trapped. She liked the poisoner's adventurousness, as well as the fact that it was based on his desire to discover something as yet undiscovered. And the fact that he did not hesitate to put a man through torture to do it, did not dissuade her from her belief that the poisoner could be an asset to her family.

No deal had been struck then, only the agreement to discuss it at some future time. It was now a good sixty or seventy days into that future. Clearly the Valdinox could cite patience as one of their virtues. Inoadar considered it to be one of his as well. He'd been a Nitrozian affiliate for some time now, and could have gone to them for the mizas long ago. But somehow he had soured on their "merchant-first" philosophy. It was his own patience that had enable him to hold off for a more like-minded backer.

And now, he had found them...Or, they had found him.

x
Last edited by Inoadar on November 24th, 2014, 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
I would prefer you called me "Nolan Parnell"...In fact, I insist.

CS - + - New Ino Vations - + - Scrapbook - + - NMSS - + - Ravok Codex - + - FAQ - + - Travel Times
Inoadar
Still at Large

Words: 1029689
Joined roleplay: June 5th, 2012, 6:14 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

In Earnest of Faith

Postby Inoadar on November 20th, 2014, 8:36 am

Inoadar

Inoadar walked into Thorin's Forge, waiting for the one other customer to finish and leave. He had a cost sheet for the way he wanted his new shop to be built. Part of his plan necessitated it's location be on a wider body of water than just one of the canals. A spot right on the edge of the city, with open water beyond would be ideal. A ravosala was on his list of intended purchases.

The blacksmith turned and scrutinized him, sure that he recognized Inoadar from some previous meeting; one that left a sour taste in his mouth. The poisoner smiled back with equal charm. "Yes, it's me. I was instructed to return at some future date? You accompanied me to the NMSS with a fused suit of armor?" he offered as an explanation.

The look on the blacksmith's face strongly suggested that he remembered. He remembered sealing a man into an immovable suit of plate armor. Sealed in with chemically enhanced bandages wrapped around his body to leave absolutely no room for the man to move. Sealed in with sharp metal shards placed strategically to aggravate the chemical enhancement, which was a compound that increased sensitivity to pain. Sealed in on the orders of a more highly placed member of his family, the Valdinox family.

As much as his task had sickened him, he had obeyed his matriarch's instructions. And he obeyed them now as well. When he had a moment between stages of smithing, he lit a simple candle and placed it in the window. He stood at the window for several chimes, then snuffed that candle and lit two others, one half as tall as the other. After a much shorter pause, he switched the positions of the two candles. Again, there was a short pause, then he snuffed the shorter of the two candles, leaving the other there, still lit.

Inoadar could guess at the overall degree of communication that had just taken place. The blacksmith indicated a seat, and Inoadar sat down and waited. After a short while, something caught his attention, though the blacksmith did not seem to have noticed. The second, shorter candle was lit again and placed in the window. "I'm impressed." he said.

"As am I..." the familiar edge of the woman's voice cut the darkness. "...It only took you ten ticks to notice. Not long ago, a man sat there for ten chimes, before daring to object to how long I was taking to arrive."

Inoadar thought briefly of asking what had become of such a fool, but decided it would be bad form. Instead he got right to the brink of business. "I have given some thought to our last conversation..." He did not elaborate. Instead he set the cost sheet on his seat as he stood and stretched. Then he began to move among the goods, as if browsing.

There was a cold laugh, "You need not feign a purchase, Doctor Parnell. We can speak freely here, in the back." Inoadar followed the voice to a shadow, still lithe with sensuous curves, which then made it's sinuous way through an unseen door into a dimly lit room, with the poisoner in tow. The blacksmith suddenly found tasks which required much renewed ringing of hammers.

x

CS - + - New Ino Vations - + - Scrapbook - + - NMSS - + - Ravok Codex - + - FAQ - + - Travel Times
Inoadar
Still at Large

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

In Earnest of Faith

Postby Inoadar on November 22nd, 2014, 4:41 am

Inoadar

The candles made a feeble attempt to illuminate the room; seeming to fall conveniently short of anything beyond the edges of the single round table they sat upon. Inoadar could not truly perceive the dimensions of the room, but assumed it had at least one door hidden in the darkness.

"So, you've put us on the shelf for longer than I would have thought, you being without a source of your own discovery for so long. I'd have thought you'd be long since tired of having to defer to a doctor for lab time. Or is it your partners that keep you from fully building your resume?"

"I entrust my real work to no one but myself. I have been slowed by the situation, yes, but I still make progress." Inoadar answered hesitantly.

"And your little protege, Vera, is a darling little girl. Why on Mizahar did you saddle her with that black-eyed bitch slave?" The voice switched in a heartbeat from crooning sweetness to hissing acid.

Inoadar was not sure if there was a veiled threat to Vera implied in the remark, but felt a flatly honest response was best. He shrugged, "I was pressed to do so, to satisfy an Ebonstryfe soldier that would otherwise have arrested me as an accomplice. Yoona also is good protection for Vera. Frankly, better than Burke."

There was a cold chuckle, "Well, I can hardly argue with that. And I suppose in your position, just released from the clutches of dear Ematho, one could be especially put off at the thought of being arrested again so soon. And it seems that Vera likes her slave as well. Having a child to watch over, may be just the thing to bring a sense of responsible behavior to this 'Yoona'. Motherhood instinct, I suppose."

Inoadar shrugged again, "I suppose so. Yes, it was Vera's play, and it seemed to disarm the anger that the soldier was nurturing quite effectively."

"Isaak? Oh certainly. Disarmed his greed, more like. But it all amounts to the same thing." Now she leaned partially into the candle light, her eyes shielded. "But I suggest a sort of immunity from this very sort of pressure as one of the side benefits of joining with us, as our own..."staff chemist", so to speak."

Inoadar leaned back, his head cocked slightly, "Well now, it seems to me that having to share credit for the discoveries I make was one of the detriments you cited moments ago. Now I am to share them with you and it is a benefit?"

The voice became innocence and sympathy personified, "You mean you had to share credit as well as lab time? How terrible for you!" Inoadar could envision the eyelashes batting in exaggerated shock. "No, Doctor Parnell, we would neither hinder nor hog your discoveries. AND as I said before, we would underwrite the new facility completely."

"In exchange for precisely...what?" he ventured.

"You will be our man. For as long as you owe us. And who knows, by the time you pay us off, you may have found that being affiliated with us was so enjoyable you might just choose to stay on. We may not be as fashionable as those Nitrozians..." there was just a hint of disdain in the voice, "...but I think you'll find that we have connections more suited to your sensibilities...And predicaments."

Inoadar hid his shock. Was this a reference to his sudden and unexpected release from The Black Hole? That was the only time he'd been in a "predicament" completely beyond his ability to extricate himself. Was this woman Valdinox herself? The Druvin? Had she somehow prompted the Warden to be so surprisingly magnanimous? He wondered though, that if she had, that she did not come right and say it.

Perhaps Ematho himself had forbidden it. Or perhaps she did not want his indentureship to be under grudging obligation. Both of these possibilities seemed fairly likely. He decided to get her take on a more common sort of confrontation. "And men like Isaak?" Inoadar asked, intrigued. He was not about to rescind Vera's ownership of Yoona. But he'd like not to be in such a position ever again.

Her tone became direct. "Well, he was certainly within his rights to drown his slave, when she was his. But if he was to pressure YOU again, you would find him paying you back with either a bonus, or a profound apology, the next day." her voice became quieter, but somehow heavier. "Doctor Parnell, we are not the fashionable face of Ravok, nor the armored gauntlet. We are the shadow, and the dagger hidden in it. And we would like your expertise dripping from that dagger. We will give you the freedom to make all the discoveries you want. But, while we will not seek to claim credit, we will want access!"

x
Last edited by Inoadar on November 24th, 2014, 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Inoadar
Still at Large

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

In Earnest of Faith

Postby Inoadar on November 22nd, 2014, 8:24 pm

Inoadar

"And in exchange, you will pay the entire up-front cost of my shop, lab, and domicile? With no additional percentage charges per season?" Inoadar ventured hesitantly.

"If by that, you mean "interest", then no, there will be no interest. The only interest there will be, is the interest we have in your ability to measure up to the assessment we have previously made of your capabilities. We think you are a perfect fit." She sat back into the shadows, being nearly consumed by them.

"And if I don't measure up?" he asked, already quite sure of the answer. They both knew he did not expect this to happen, but it was asked as a means of bringing out the parameters of what his duties would be.

"You will never be asked to...employ your talents...against anyone whose affiliations will put you at odds with the Temple, I can promise you that..." she began.

"In writing?" he interrupted.

"No." she responded, with no change in her tone. "You will have to take my word."

Inoadar wondered briefly at the wisdom of taking the word of a priestess of the god whose domain was said to be chaos and betrayal. But he'd accepted this god as his own, and did not feel much wisdom in believing the assessments of the minions of hostile gods either. Nor had he ever seen any indication that Rhysol allowed such pandemonium in His City. This was not Sunberth. "Go on." he waved.

"You will not be asked to do more than two such functions for us per season. And there may be seasons where we ask nothing of you, in this regard. But your domicile will be considered a "safe house" for other operatives of our family. And you will be expected to make it available to them." Her hand appeared from the darkness with a sigil of black onyx somehow incorporated into a disc of white.

It was basically an oval shape, with the top arc being akin to the carapace of some beetle. The sides were comprised of what could be the legs, with an elaborate scrollwork in the center that had hints of a set of eyes. "Any that are sent to you will have such an emblem. You will accord them every courtesy." she returned her symbol to some pocket of her own. "They, in turn, will treat you with respect."

"Reasonable...But getting back to my original question..." the poisoner prompted.

She did not miss a tick, "You will have one season to make up for your shortcomings, else the entire bill will come due. And I trust I do not have to inform you of the penalty for non-payment, in full." her voice carried no threatening tone. It did not need to.

"And if my inability to pay, or complete a...function, is due to the deliberate and malicious interference of outside parties?" he inquired, showing no hint of concern.

"Then you will not be held to have failed, of course. But, depending on the function, you may be asked to present proof that it WAS outside interference, and not just your own incompetence." She answered, as if it was obvious.

"My lady, it-...oh, excuse me, is that the proper address?" he asked genuinely. When she nodded, he continued confidently. "My Lady, it will never be due to that. This I can promise."

"In writing?" she smiled, enjoying the conversational riposte.

"No." he said, matter-of-factly, playing along. "You'll have to take my word."

"Done." she announced. "Now show me your cost sheet, and let us see where we stand."

Inoadar produced two sheets of paper. One had a proposed floor plan, though it only comprised the ground floor. And the other was the itemized list of expenses.

Floor Plan :

Cost Sheet :
- Ground Floor -
1 Elaborate shop - 2,000gm
1 Elaborate Poison Crafting Lab (same as Philtering) - 1,500gm
1 Elaborate Storage Room - 1,000gm
1 Simple Office - 200gm
1 Ice House (Cold Storage) - 500gm
1 Prison Cell - 300gm
1 Simple Dock - 500gm
TOTAL - 6,000gm

- Second Floor -
1 Elaborate One-Room Cottage - 1,000gm
1 Simple Bath - 200gm
2nd Floor Material cost (wood) - total 600sq. ft. @ 1 gold per = 600gm
TOTAL - 1,800gm

- Additional Costs -
Balance of City debt - 900gm
Barton "Signature" Bookcase - 80gm
5 Good quality locks and keys - 600gm
Elegant Ravosala - 150gm
TOTAL - 1730gm

Grand Total - 9,530gm

x

Inoadar
Still at Large

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

In Earnest of Faith

Postby Inoadar on November 24th, 2014, 4:36 am

Inoadar

The papers, and the hands holding them, were the only visible thing across the table from Inoadar as he waited for an assessment of his proposal. There were a few times that the hold on them shifted slightly, as though the woman perusing them was not actually studying them right then, but perhaps giving thought to some unwritten aspect of what was on the paper. "I have a few questions about a few items you have listed here."

Inoadar nodded his understanding, and waved for her to continue. "This Barton Signature item...Is this to say you have resolved your difficulties with this man?" her voice carried a sightly hopeful lilt. Inoadar nodded, and she crowed, "Splendid! I'll be honest. I find that a great relief. We had expected he might end up being someone we would have to deal with permanently on your behalf. And it would be a great loss, such a craftsman!"

She set the papers down for a moment and leaned slightly into the light. "This is a point in your credit, Parnell. It is always good to see that someone we will be relying on to deal with problems, is not always going to deal with them the same way. Being unpredictable is a necessity in our circles. This shows both negotiating talent, AND the ability to weigh an enemy's value to the entire city, against your own personal dislike, and come to a mutually beneficial resolution. Very good."

Inoadar left unsaid that she must also have been impressed by the fact that she had not already known of the truce. "Yes, It is to be a hidden doorway to the security area beyond. It is my experience that some research requires...enforced cooperation...on the part of the subject. As you can see, there are two full cells, and a sort of holding area-slash-walkway that runs in front of them. The third measure is just where the stairway to my living quarters will be, but it also has the cell-type door, with the same lock, for security from intruders sneaking in that way."

He was enjoying describing his layout. "You may notice the indication of bars on the left wall? That is just for a bit of versatility. Either or both cells can be extended in length for whatever reason by locking the door against that left wall. OR the door in front of the stairway can be swung and locked against that left wall instead to form a third small cell."

She paused a moment, "Yes I see...Do you think five lock sets will be enough? It would be no problem to furnish you with more."

"Not unless you're providing them free of charge." he said, with a tone that said he new better. He didn't wait for her refusal, "No, the way I see it, that's one for each outer entry, and one for the two main cells. If I have no one I'm needing to keep contained, then I have two locks to put on secondary doors...Say, the office or lab, or maybe the ice house."

"So you have materials that benefit from cold storage?" She asked, more out of curiosity than business concerns.

"Oh yes!" he responded, eager to display some expertise, "All fungal pastes and mycillial compounds..." he started counting off on his fingers. "any aquatic or organic colloidal resin...even basic arboreal and floral resin keeps much longer in the cold. In fact, sometimes, freezing is exactly what brings out the extract I need. It depends largely on the nature of the extract source. Is it from a fluid within the plant or animal? Is it a natural discharge "Milked" from an animal? Or is it the dehydrated or calcinated remains after some drying process. In THAT case it need to stay dry, which specifically excludes cold storage."

He began a different count, which was to include all the toxins that he simply purchased in finished form, for the sake of product variety. With each item, he meant to add a quick outline of where he had learned of it, or how to make it, and why he couldn't make it from any resources in the Ravok area, and whether or not it needed cold storage. But the woman started to laugh, and he took this as his cue to cut his seminar short.

"Mr...or rather, Doctor Parnell, I have some good news for you. Not only do you have your figures correct, you have overlooked the fact that you can acquire a 25% discount on new multi-room constructions here. Now this won't apply to the locks, the ravosala, the fancy bookcase, or your past debt, but the six thousand you have for the ground floor list will be only four thousand, five hundred. The Eighteen hundred you have for the second floor will be only thirteen fifty. These, plus the additional items, come to a total of only seventy-five, eighty. That's nearly two thousand less than the Ninety-five thirty you have here."

Inoadar was genuinely surprised that the woman admitted this to him. He did not know which was more important to her, the steady repayment of the debt, or the long term retention of his services due to still owing debt. He expected a balance of both. "So...What are your payment requirements, My Lady?"

She did not hesitate, "Five hundred per season, on the first day, delivered here to Thorin. Every day you are late will add fifty to your debt. If you should accumulate a full season's worth of penalty, you will be considered NOT to have...measured up."

Inoadar took this to mean that they had another poisoner on their payroll, but he was not Inoadar's level. So they were willing to accept the risk of him failing to pay. Because, in exchange for the loss of money, they would gain from both the object lesson of what was done to Inoadar for failing them, AND then having a facility designed by an expert.

But he did not begrudge them this approach. It made sense for them to hedge this investment. And he was not going to fail them. There was a pause. "Do we have a deal then?"

"One last question...If I choose, Am I permitted to make additional payments, out of schedule, to get out of debt sooner?" He didn't bother assuring her that this did NOT mean he would be separating himself from this affiliation once the debt was paid. After all, what fool makes powerful friends, and then abandons them?

"Of course. You may do so right now, if you wish." she replied.

"No hurry." he said. He paused for just a moment longer, nodded once and agreed, "We have a deal." He did not extend his hand. He was a man that worked with poisons, he only offered his hand to fools.

"Then we are finished. Thorin will contact you when the site is chosen, for your approval. And again, when it is ready to be furnished, both with stock and equipment. I should expect the first in just a few days. The second will not be until basic construction is completed, around the 50th or 55th. About the same time you "lost" your previous shop last season. I imagine you will want to be there for both of those developments."

Inoadar froze his expression in place. The inflection on that word made it clear she knew who was behind the destruction of 'Ino Vations'. Then he realized he was glad. It was one less thing to have to worry about being revealed. It was good to be working with pros. He stood and bowed, "Indeed I will...Thank you, My Lady. You won't be disappointed."

"I know." was all she said, before disappearing into the darkness. Thorin appeared just as suddenly, and let the poisoner back out. He strode home with a bit of swagger in his step. The dark beauty of Ravok had never been so promising.

x

Inoadar
Still at Large

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

In Earnest of Faith

Postby Nemesis on December 21st, 2014, 7:55 pm

Inoadar
Skills * *
Negotiation * +2
Persuasion * +1
Rhetoric * +2
Socialisation * +2
Lores
*A Valdinox Man
*Valdinox Debt: 7,580gm
*Valdinox Debt: 500gm per Season
*Valdinox Debt: No Interest

Consequences, Injuries, Expenses, and More!
  • +Loan for a new Ino Vations!
  • -Debt!

• Nicely done, I'm glad we decided to do this... makes the whole thing so much more realistic IC :)
Nemesis
Fortune and Retribution

Words: 296717
Joined roleplay: March 30th, 2014, 8:36 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Donor (1)