[Game] So you think you can Roleplay?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Feel free to place any off topic chatter, thread games, etc here.

Postby Gale Austin McCenry on November 21st, 2014, 6:56 am

So... You think you can roleplay? Well, how about we test that theory? I propose a game to help challenge you to be the best roleplayer and writer you can be. You will compete against fellow roleplyers in a friendly competition to be the judge of the following game. Here's how it'll work:

In the beginning of the game, the judge of the round will select a word and a genre. Then, within a time limit, whoever wishes to participate in the round must create and complete a short story incorporating that word within that genre.

The story does not need to have an official beginning or end, so it can be in the middle of a certain story, it just needs to tell some sort of tale. It could be a sword fight, a philosophical conversation between a father and his son, it could be a carver making a table, it could be the glorious death of a champion in war. It doesn't matter, as long as it uses the word and it fits within the given genre.

At the end of the time limit, the judge will post saying that he is currently reading the entries will review and look over all of the completed stories. The will pick which story they feel is the best given the word and the genre and explain why they chose that story. But hey, we're all here to get better and improve, right? So, if the judge wishes, the judge could incorporate some tips for the players to help improve their writing or enhance their stories or characters. Whoever wins the round gets to be the judge of the next one.

So, for now, the time limit will be 2 days. So every other day the judge will pick the winner. However, we can change this time if people want less time to wait or more time to work, so if you guys want more or less time just let me know and we can change it.

Example Game :
Billy Joe Bob is the game's previous winner so he is the judge. Billy Joe Bob pick the word "Raven" and the genre "Horror".

Edgar Allen Poe writes:
Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered, weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore—...

Open here I flung the shutter, when, with many a flirt and flutter,
In there stepped a stately Raven of the saintly days of yore;

Then several other people create their own stories and post them in the thread.

2 days later, Billy Joe Bob reads all of the stories and picks Edgar Allen Poe saying:
I really like how you made the Raven the source of the horror and how intense you made the situation even though the Raven just stood there and said Nevermore.

But to improve you could try and make it into a short story rather than a poem, though the poem is cool too.

Because Billy Joe Bob picked Edgar Allen Poe, Edgar Allen Poe is the new judge and he starts off the new round with the word "Flood" and the genre "Romantic Comedy" and so on and so forth.

Q&A :
Can I make the word plural, singular, etc?
Yes.

Does the word have to be a major part of the story?
Yes. It makes the game more fun if it is and it keeps people from only using the word once for something completely unrelated to the story.

Is there a word limit?
No. It doesn't have to be any length. If you want you can make a six word story or a 5 thousand word story. Just keep in mind though that it makes it hard on the judge if it's suuuuper long. It is a short story so keep it, well, short.

Do I have to use the word specifically or can it just be the theme of the story?
No. You have to use the word in the story. And the word has to reoccur or be the them of the story. So if it's sadness, you have to use the word sadness in the story and typically the story is sad.

Can I post a story the day of the judge picking a winner?
The judge should post saying that he is currently reading the entries when he decides to make a choice. You may post an entry up until that point. After that you have to wait until the next round.

Can my story be about my character?
Yes, you can you your character but it does't have to be.

Does the story transfer over to my character such as injuries, ledger, etc?
No. This is a completely OOC game so nothing you write here will transfer over to your character if your story is about your PC.

What's the prize?
Bragging rights and being the judge of the next round.

So, that's the jist of it. Remember with the critique to not be a total jerk about it and please don't pick favourites. It's no fun when only five people get to be the judge because they are all friends so make it fair, and most of all, keep it fun.

I'll start the game.

Word: Beetle
Genre: Comedy

So let's get this show on the road!! The winner will be picked on Friday.
Last edited by Gale Austin McCenry on December 1st, 2014, 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gale Austin McCenry
McPainty

Words: 701701
Joined roleplay: May 6th, 2012, 2:25 am
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 6
Featured Contributor (1) Mizahar Mentor (1)
Artist (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Overlored (1) Trash Medal (1)

Postby Keene Ward on November 29th, 2014, 8:28 am

In the distant mountains of a land of no name, there lived a man. He was a not a man of importance, simply simple in all that he did. He was content to be as he was, because he had neither wish to know nor knowledge to draw upon about what was different and why it might benefit him. Happy as he was, the man was never happier than when he was in his garden, tending to his plants.

One morning, the man had stooped down to weed his tomatoes, his most prized and beloved of his plants. Its fruit was red and luscious, and it had never failed to bring fourth the most impressive of bounties. As his careful hands made short work of the few weeds that plagued the roots of the plant, he noticed a spot of black upon the perfect verdant green of his tomato's stalk. Squinting down at the creature, the man realized it was a beetle, shining light despite its onyx shade.

"Little bug, remove yourself from my tomato plant, else I'll smash you like some filthy ant."

The beetle paused, its tiny legs frozen where they had been cleaning its antennae.

"Why should this beetle have to die? For he has done no harm, say I."

The beetles voice came soft and sweet, like the small mewling of a child. The man merely frowned shaking his head.

"It's not what you've done, rather what you might, which is how I rationalize this smite."

The man lifted his hand and with a swipe, he struck out at the beetle. The bug was fast, his legs small and quick, and he escaped the man's attack. Hovering in front of the surprised face, the beetle spoke a single line more.

"And for that reason, you will find, the world - to you - shall not be kind."

And with that, the little creature flitted away, disappearing into the clear skies. The man watched him go with a furrow in his brow, but he soon busied himself with his garden. As he worked, the sky began to darken. He glanced upwards, surprised at the sudden appearance of clouds, but was astonished to see a hand traveling down towards him. With a shout, he realized too late what was happening, the epiphany bursting into his mind a second before he burst beneath the pressure of the finger that had descended from the sky.

"God I hate bugs."

The woman shook her head, sticking her tongue out at the little ant stuck to the bottom of her finger, before wiping it on her pants and getting back to work tending her rutabagas.
Keene Ward
Chilly Wizard

Words: 1279864
Joined roleplay: October 16th, 2014, 2:16 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Character (1) Artist (1)
Overlored (1) One Million Words! (1)
2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1) 2014 Top NaNo Word Count (1)

Postby Firenze on December 2nd, 2014, 2:23 pm

Grabbing her pack off the table Lana ran for the front door. Late! Late again! She hopped into her car, and not having had much sleep the night before, paused for a moment, taking a deep breath she tried to center herself. The bag tossed on the seat next to her. After finally starting the car, she made her way into town. She was already late, but the long drive was going to make things worse.

Lana never really minded the drive before, but today it was a little more difficult to do being in a rush and the lack of sleep made it hard for her to focus. While concentrating on driving she hadn't notice the little black spot that was running around on the ceiling... until it jumped off the roof of the car and into the passengers seat.

She caught the sight of it out of the corner of her eye, her head turning sharply, she watched in horror as it reared back on it's legs. The beetle started to move as if it were showing off karate moves, acting as though it were going to attack her. Screaming, for her fear of beetles was vast, she pulled the car over to the side of the road. Commuters on their way to work zipping by her, glancing over briefly to see if she needed help, but then kept their foot on the gas and zoomed by.

As she slammed the car into park, the beetle continuing his moves on the seat next to her, trying to show who was the bigger threat in the car, she flung her door open and jumped out. She ran around in small circles, her arms flailing about.

"OOOOOOH MY GOOOOOOD."

She jumped up and down a little and peeked her head around the edge of the car door... It was gone.

"Eeeeeeeyyaaahh, Dang it! Where did it go!?"

Running over to the passenger's side, she pulled a large weed from the side of the road, preparing herself for a duel... a fight for the ownership of the car.

Grabbing the handle gingerly, in hopes to not disturb the ninja like beetle, she pulled the handle up, then flung the door wide, jumping back in case it wanted to come flying out and toward her.

She waited for a moment and nothing happened, so she moved along the edge of the car, and peered around the opening toward the seat. By this time people who were driving by were openly staring, yet still no one had stopped to come to her rescue.

Holding her hand out, the weed swishing, she shoved her arm in the car, trying to remove the beetle who had invaded the vehicle. Nothing happened, so she looked into the car to noticed that it was just... sitting there. Staring at her. Almost as if saying, 'Think YOU could remove me from this car I have dubbed as mine!?'

Freaking out for a moment, she flew back out of sight, plastering herself once again along the side of the car. Breathing heavy, her heart beating hard, she panicked.

"What do I do!?"

Just as she pondered the question out loud, it came to her. She will face her fear and use the weed to fling the beetle from the car! Simple enough!... right?

WRONG. She'd jumped out quickly, the weed swishing furiously, she got as close as she could to the beetle, her heart pounding loudly in her ears, breathing ragged, she hit the beetle and it went flying off the seat, bouncing off the glove box and on to the floor... where it scampered under the seat.

Jumping back, she screamed, arms flailing again and running around in circles, she pulled in a couple deep breathes, trying to shake the shivers that were running over her skin.

By this time a car had finally pulled over, their window rolling down slowly. A woman popped her head out, "Do you need any help? Are you broken down?"

How was Lana going to explain this.

"Um.. No! I'm not broken down... I.. er.. I have a beetle in my car and it's trying to attack me... But I think I can get it out! I have a stick!" She waved the limp weed in her hand, trying to smile. At this time the woman burst out laughing, "Okay then! Good luck!" She waved, rolling the window back up, as the car zipped off.
Firenze
Food, or Friend?

Words: 674676
Joined roleplay: October 8th, 2014, 8:25 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Mizahar Grader (1) Artist (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Gale Austin McCenry on December 6th, 2014, 7:04 pm

Deciding the Winner now! Apologize for the day late response, I totally spaced and stuff because I had several school related meetings and lots of chores to do. So please forgive me!

My template looks weird when it's cut off like that...

Anyway!!! I really and thoroughly enjoys your guys' stories. I definitely had a great laugh with them and you both wrote them really well extremely well, so great job you guys!

Keene, I really like the philosophical aspect to your story. It reminded me a little bit of the MIB series in the end, and the rhymes and such was places perfectly.

Firenze, your story reminded me of one of my friends who is terrified of spiders. She's the biggest Arachnophob I've ever seen. But with that aside, the character's reactions was phenomenally entertaining all the way from her initial spotting of the bug to her little sword fight with it. XD You ended it in a perfect spot as well.

So I shall pick the winner to be Firenze. All throughout the story I couldn't stop smiling and I really didn't want it to stop, even when it did. You did a great job of portraying the girl's fear in a humorous way as well as making the bug seem completely harmless despite the Lana's terror. I honestly can't really think of any ways you can do to improve that story besides telling me how it all ended, so congratulations on the fantastic story!

Firenze is the next judge. :D

Gale Austin McCenry
McPainty

Words: 701701
Joined roleplay: May 6th, 2012, 2:25 am
Blog: View Blog (1)
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Featured Contributor (1) Mizahar Mentor (1)
Artist (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Overlored (1) Trash Medal (1)

Postby Keene Ward on December 6th, 2014, 7:15 pm

Yahs! Congrats Fire! xD
Keene Ward
Chilly Wizard

Words: 1279864
Joined roleplay: October 16th, 2014, 2:16 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Character (1) Artist (1)
Overlored (1) One Million Words! (1)
2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1) 2014 Top NaNo Word Count (1)

Postby Firenze on December 7th, 2014, 8:59 am

Hello!

Thank you for choosing me, I'm glad that you enjoyed my story. So over quite some consideration and help from my awesome friend, Keene, I have decided on the theme and genre. If you are unsure how to play please visit the first post of this game.

Word: Spatula
Genre: Horror

I look forward to everyone's entries! Good Luck!
Firenze
Food, or Friend?

Words: 674676
Joined roleplay: October 8th, 2014, 8:25 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Mizahar Grader (1) Artist (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)