Solo Fruits of the Fall

Lian gets hired to hunt for a pavilion whose best hunter is badly injured. When he is convinced to take a young boy along with him on the hunt, he is less than pleased. But in the end, he learns as much as he teaches.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Not found on any map, Endrykas is a large migrating tent city wherein the horseclans of Cyphrus gather to trade and exchange information. [Lore]

Moderator: Gossamer

Fruits of the Fall

Postby Lian Windrunner on November 24th, 2014, 6:56 pm

Timestamp: 63rd Day of Fall, 514 AV
9th Bell, morning

Lian waited at the edge front gates impatiently. Where was that blasted boy?! It was bad enough that Zethar had roped him into taking the boy with him on this hunting trip. It should have been the boy's father taking him out and teaching him how to hunt. Or an older brother. A cousin, perhaps. Someone other than himself. Family bonding was very important, after all. Spending time with Lukar and their father was the only thing that had made his own hunting lessons tolerable. Surely the boy would rather go out hunting with someone from his family, or even friends rather than a complete stranger.

Then again, Lian had been asked to go on this hunting trip because Zethar had heard that their best hunter had broken his leg. It would be months before the injury healed completely...if it ever did since the man was too stubborn to allow one of the healers to heal it with Rak'keli's gnosis. By then, fall would be over, and with it, the best time for hunting. If the boy waited for his father to heal, he'd lose valuable hunting time, and risk forgetting a lot of what he had already learned. Lian knew that from personal experience.

That didn't make him any less annoyed by the boy's tardiness, though.

"Lian Windrunner!"

Lian looked up, and saw a dark haired boy charging up to him on a young strider stallion. If Lian had to guess, he'd say the strider was barely old enough to be ridden judging by its size. The stallion was quite small, even for a strider, and looked as if it still had a lot of growing to do. Then again, so did the boy. He looked to be about eight years old at most, and Lian had doubts that he was even that old. With the boy's young age came a child's enthusiasm. The boy's bright blue eyes were filled with laughter, and the excitement for the hunt.

"You are Lian Windrunner, right?"

Lian nodded curtly, making a sharp hand sign of confirmation that betrayed his considerable annoyance. The boy seemed to notice his mood because the excitement in his eyes dimmed slightly, and his expression turned hesitant and apologetic.

"Sorry I'm late. Our ankal asked me to deliver a very important message to another pavilion." the boy said proudly.

"I would have been here on time anyway, but...I kind of got lost when I was trying to find the pavilion." he admitted, reddening in embarrassment.

Lian knew that if the message really had been important, it would have been sent through the Web rather than trusted to a young boy. But it was important to teach children responsibility at a young age. And trusting the boy with an "important" message was one way of doing that. So he said nothing to dampen the boy's feeling of accomplishment at having been trusted with such an errand.

"We should get going. I was hoping to get started over a bell ago." was all he said.

Last edited by Lian Windrunner on August 26th, 2015, 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lian Windrunner
Player

Words: 434725
Joined roleplay: October 9th, 2013, 12:58 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Fruits of the Fall

Postby Lian Windrunner on August 25th, 2015, 6:20 am

They rode in silence for a little more than a bell. Lian was still irritated at the boy for his tardiness, so he was in no mood to make polite conversation. So instead, he slipped into the Web, trusting Talise to keep him steady while he sent his mind coursing ahead through the glowing blue strands as he kept a sharp eye out for danger. The boy, for his part seemed to feel guilty for being late, so he didn't want to pester Lian with any questions.

There were no predators near enough for Lian to see as a threat to them, but he did notice a few notes of discord in the welcoming melody the Web sang to him. Lian paused, listening for the chaotic notes. Then he flew towards them, following the sense of wrongness the music of the strands stirred within him. It didn't take him long to find it. The feeling of wrongness pulsed at him, demanding his attention. And as a Webber, it was his job to fix it if he could. But fixing it would take time. He would have to tell the boy what he was doing so he wouldn't worry. With that thought in mind, Lian returned to himself. When he recovered from the brief disorientation he felt during the transition back to his body, he turned to the boy.

"Are you okay?" the boy demanded anxiously.

The signs that accompanied his words were sharp with worry and distress.

"Are you sick, or something? Do we need to go back? You just seemed to...to go away for a while. I didn't know what to do!"

Lian sighed ruefully.

"I apologize for not warning you that I was going to do that." he said with regret.

The boy stared at him.

"You mean that you meant to...to...go away like that?!"

Lian nodded, making the sign for sincere apology. He hadn't expected the boy to notice when he entered the Web, so it hadn't occurred to him to offer the boy any warning. Were all kids this observant? Or was this boy more observant than most? It would be something to keep in mind when his own child was born. In either case, the boy deserved an answer. And since the boy was a true Drykas, born among his people, and already bonded to a strider, Lian had no reason not to tell him the truth.

"I was in the Web." he said at last.

"When I go hunting, I use the Web both to keep an eye out for dangerous predators, and to help me find my prey."

The boy's eyes widened.

"I knew it could be used to send messages, and find stuff, but I never knew it could be used like that. But...isn't it dangerous?"

Lian nodded.

"There is a lot of risk in it, yes. No one who needs to enter a trance first in order to enter the Web, or who can't adjust to being back in their body again quickly should attempt it. But it can be a very useful tool for those who have enough skill."

Lian grinned suddenly.

"Besides, Talise here is used to me slipping into the Web when I'm riding her. She knows how to hold an even gait so the movement won't disturb me. And if something disturbs her, she lets me know by moving abruptly. I can feel it, and know that I need to return."

The boy looked suitably impressed. Lian hesitated for a tick before continuing.

"While I was in the Web, I found a spot that needs to be repaired. I don't think it will take me that long to fix it. But since I'm the one who found it, and I have the ability to fix the damage, I have the responsibility to do so."

Talk of responsibility was something the boy could relate to. He himself had just been given a task to prove that he could be responsible earlier that morning. So he nodded.

"I understand. I'll be real quiet until you get back unless something happens." he promised.

Lian smiled.

"Thank you. That will be a big help."

The boy beamed under his simple praise. Lian made a note of it, promising himself to praise his own son or daughter as often as he could once the child was born. Then he entered the Web once more. He found the damaged area even faster this time. A closer examination of the area told him pretty much what he already knew. The damage to the Web was minor. It was worn and thin rather than torn.

Lian focused on his djed, pooling it into his hands, Then he began the task of weaving it into strands that in turn formed his origin. When that was done, he wove more of his djed into his work, creating a patch of sorts that would strengthen the worn area until it could heal on its own. Lian didn't think the worn area would tear now that his patch was in place, but if it did, the patch would hold it until another Webber noticed the problem and fixed the damage.

After having what he could, Lian checked on his work to make certain that the patch would hold. Then he returned to his body. The boy was watching the grass, looking for any sign of danger. He didn't notice Lian's return until he tapped the boy on the shoulder.

"You're back! Was I quiet enough? I tried really hard to be quiet. And I know you said you'd looked for predators in the area, but that was a while ago. So I decided I'd keep my eyes open just in case. Did I do good?"

Lian chuckled at the plea in the boy's voice. It was obvious that he was desperate to believe that he had done the right thing.

"You did well. Now come. I want to show you something."

Lian dismounted, and the boy followed his lead a few ticks later. When Lian drew a straight line in the dirt, the boy stared at it intensely.

"One of the things you can use the Web for while hunting is to give you an idea of where you are by telling you where other important landmarks. If you don't own a compass, using the Web might be the fastest way to keep track of your location. Do you remember where the Zeis river is in relation to Endrykas?"

The boy nodded.

"It's north of where the city is camped now."

Lian grinned, and nodded.

"That's right. And can you hear the sound of running water?"

The boy nodded again.

"That's the Zeis river, isn't it?"

"Yes, it is. So we've been traveling north in order to reach the river. If we've been riding north, then south is behind us. I'm not very good at this, but I do know that the sun rises in the east, and sets in the west. I watched the sun rise this morning, so I know it came from that direction."

Lian gestured in the direction he meant.

"So that means that that is east, a fact that is made clear by this."

Lian pointed at his line in the dirt.

"If this is north, then this is east, and this is west." he added as he pointed in each direction.

"And that would make this northeast, this southeast, and so on."
Each time he spoke, Lian drew another line to represent one of the directions.

"Getting your bearings is best if you have a well known landmark you can work with."

"Like the Zeis river?"

"Exactly. Now let's get going. Once we get to the river, the hunt will truly begin."

Lian Windrunner
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Fruits of the Fall

Postby Lian Windrunner on August 26th, 2015, 4:18 am

As they rode, Lian could see that the boy was trying to figure something out. He waited patiently to see if he would be able to bring himself to ask what he wanted to know.

"When you're trying to figure out where you are, you always use Endrykas, right? So Endrykas, and whatever other landmarks are in the area?"

Lian nodded, waiting to see where the boy was going with his line of questioning.

"But...how do you know where Endrykas is? Right now it's easy, because we've only traveled in one direction. But what if we go, say west from the river, then change direction again after a while if we have no luck finding game, or if we're following a trail? Do you just have to remember which direction you picked each time?"

"That's one way of doing it, yes. Retracing your steps is a good way of finding your way home. If you're lucky, you will be able to follow your own trail back home. Even if that doesn't work, as long as you remember which way you came, and what landmarks you passed, you will be able to find your way back. For a Webber like myself, though...it's far easier."

"Why?"

"When it comes down to it, Endrykas is a very large group of people, all of whom have been tied into the Web. So a Webber just has to look for their djed. As long as it is within their range, it's impossible to miss. It can't be mistaken for anything else, either. You just have to be aware of your range, and not go beyond that."

"Whether you use the Web or not, you need to know the more traditional methods as well. So. Name five warning signs that something dangerous is in the area. And checking the Web doesn't count."

Lian listened to the boy absently as he rode. He kept one ear open to the sounds of the birds and insects around them. As long as he could hear them, they were safe. But his mind was also on the task of trying to think of ways to teach the boy what he knew. He wasn't very good at teaching, and he didn't use the methods of hunting he was supposed to be teaching the boy as often as he should. He had to try, though. He had taken on the responsibility of teaching the boy while he hunted for his family, so he had to do just that. Fortunately, the boy seemed to be eager to learn, and smart enough to pick up things quickly.

By the time the boy had finished answering the question, they had reached the river. Lian dismounted, and approached the river bank carefully, so he wouldn't disturb any tracks he might find. Then he asked the boy to do the same, warning him to be careful as he walked.

"What do you normally hunt when you go out with your father?"

"Rabbits, and ground squirrels, mostly. But we've gone after deer a few times, too."

Lian nodded. He had expected as much. It was what he himself had been hunting at that age. For that matter, it was what he still hunted, though he mostly went after deer these days.

"Would you recognize their tracks if you saw them?"

The boy cocked his head as he thought for a few ticks. Then he nodded.

"Yes, I think so."

"Good. Then I want you to find us a trail you think you can follow. If you find more than one, I'll let you choose which one you want to follow."

The boy grinned at that. Then he got to work. As Lian watched, he tried not to get impatient. It was boring just standing and doing nothing while the boy did all of the work. And he just knew that he could find a trail faster than the boy could. But what would that teach the boy if he didn't let the boy practice his skills? So he waited. And waited. And waited some more. Just as he was about to ask if the boy was having any luck, he looked up at Lian.

"I think I found something." he said at last.

"Show me."

"It's here, along the bank, see? I guess that it could be prints left behind by a bunch of rabbits, but I don't think so. I think it's a trail that leads upstream."

Lian examined the prints the boy had found. They did look as though they had been made by the same animal. Or if it had been different rabbits, they were all the same size since there was no difference in the size of the prints. One set of prints was facing forward towards the water, as if the rabbit had been drinking. But the rest ran parallel along the river bank, indicating the rabbit was moving along the river for some reason rather than retreating into the tall grass once it had finished drinking. It was hard to be certain, but the prints looked as though they had been made at the same time. And they were fairly fresh.

"I think you're right. Good work."

The boy beamed at him, clearly thrilled by the praise.

"Is this the trail you want to follow?"

The boy nodded eagerly.

"Yes."

Lian grinned at the boy's eagerness.

"Then let's get going." he said, gesturing for the boy to take the lead.

As they followed the trail, Lian made some suggestions, and answered any questions the boy asked him. But for the most part, he left the boy to his work, wanting to see just how much he knew already. Teaching was both harder and easier than Lian had expected it to be. On the one hand, the boy was very bright. He learned quickly, and always seemed to know the right questions to ask. Lian rarely had to tell him something twice, and the boy seemed to have an almost instinctive grasp on what to do. He was a far cry from what Lian had been like as a child.

But when Lian saw the boy making the same mistakes that he himself had made in the past, it was very hard for him not to jump in unasked and correct him. He couldn't do that, though. If he did, it would hurt the boy far more than it would help him in the long run. The boy had to be allowed to make his own mistakes. It was the only way he would learn. That didn't make it any easier for Lian to hold back and let the boy take the lead, though.

Lian Windrunner
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Fruits of the Fall

Postby Lian Windrunner on August 26th, 2015, 4:36 pm

Lian kept a close eye on the boy, but since he wasn't the one following the trail, he allowed himself to drift into thought now and again. Most of his thoughts were of how to teach the child once they found their prey. Assuming that they did, of course. If the boy was learning how to use a short bow, Lian knew he would be able to help. But what if he were using another type of weapon? Lian knew nothing about any other weapon. It took several chimes of worrying about what he'd do if that were the case before Lian realized that he didn't actually know what kind of weapon the boy used.

"What kind of weapon do you use?" Lian asked, feeling foolish that he hadn't asked at the beginning of the hunt.

The boy paused, and looked up at Lian.

"I use a short bow. Should I be using a different weapon, instead?"

Relief swept through Lian, and he allowed it to show as he shook his head. With the boy using the same weapon he did, he wouldn't have to try to figure out how to teach him something that he himself didn't know.

"No, a bow's fine. I use a short bow myself. It's a good weapon for hunting."

The boy grinned, seeming to like the idea of having the same weapon that Lian did. Or perhaps he was just happy to hear the bow called a good weapon for hunting since he used one. In either case, he went back to work quickly. As they walked, their striders followed close behind them. It was easier for the boy to follow the trail on foot so he could see the tracks more clearly. After a while, the boy stopped, and began staring at the ground closely. Lian realized that he must have lost the trail. He took a few chimes to slip into the Web and look for danger, but he returned quickly when he found none near by. When he recovered from the transition back to his body, the boy was staring at him in annoyance.

"Warn me when you're gonna do that, will you?" he asked.

Lian flushed, embarrassed that he had forgotten again. The boy had been so focused on what he was doing that Lian really hadn't expected him to notice.

"I'm sorry. I will let you know when I'm about to use the Web from now on." he promised.

"Have you found the trail again?"

When the boy shook his head in frustration, Lian studied the ground closely. It looked as though another animal had crossed the trail as it came to the river to drink. The prints were small, but they looked like those a dog would make, so Lian guessed the animal in question was likely a fox. The fox's prints were clearer than those of the rabbit, so they were the fresher ones. The trail was muddied beyond his own skills to follow it, so Lian gave up, and turned to the boy.

"I will be able to figure out which way we need to go, but I'm going to have to enter the Web in order to do it." he informed him.

The boy nodded. With that, Lian allowed his mind to slip into the welcoming embrace of the Web. He searched for pools of djed in the nearby area, and found twenty five small pools that indicated small creatures. They did not have the flavor of a predator, so Lian figured they were likely the rabbits they were looking for. And judging by the sheer number of them, they had found a good sized warren. Lian was glad that the creatures were not living closer to Endrykas. A warren of this size would be hazardous to man and horse alike, creating plenty of holes for a foot or hoof to find, and cause a bad stumble.

"I found them." Lian told the boy after he returned to himself.

"They're not too far from here, but the warren is further away from the river. That's probably why you couldn't pick up the trail again. It heads away from the river here. It's a large warren, too. With luck, we'll be able to catch enough rabbits for your family to make a nice stew tonight."

The boy grinned. Lian took the lead this time. When he found another set of rabbit prints, he pointed them out to the boy, mentioning that they were likely from the same rabbit they had been following until now. As they moved through the tall grass, the boy practiced moving with stealth. Lian had to resist the urge not to laugh as he watched the boy's efforts. Finally, he showed the boy how to walk by putting his heel down first to minimize the sound of his footfalls. He also cautioned the boy to avoid stepping on dry grass if he could avoid it. In turn, the boy told him that his father had taught him how to backtrack along his own trail by walking backwards and carefully putting his feet in the exact same place he had put them before when he walked the other way. Doing so would hopefully avoid creating a second, more recent scent trail for a predator to follow. It also had the benefit of confusing humans since there would only be one trail, and it would be leading away from where he was going. The boy explained that it would be useful if bandits ever attacked and tried to follow any survivors. It might even confuse the zith if they attacked. It sounded like it might work, so Lian decided he would have to practice it later.

After roughly a quarter of a bell, they found the warren. Rabbits were everywhere, spread out in small groups as they fed on the grass. A few at the edges were sitting on their hind legs, ears twitching back and forth as they searched for danger. Lian knew that at the slightest sign, they would warn the others, and their chance of a successful kill would be gone.

Lian gestured for the boy to stop, and remain silent. Then he looked around, taking note of where the rabbits were. Firing a shot into the larger group in the center would likely frighten them all into bolting for their holes. But there were several individuals, and smaller groups that had spread out around the edges, going further out than the rest. Going after these would hopefully allow them to bring down more rabbits before they all fled. Especially if they chose groups further away from the ones guarding them. The wind was in their favor, blowing their scent away from their prey. After taking all of this in, Lian drew the boy back a bit.

He quickly made the hand signs for "look," "small groups," and "distance." Then he pointed at the groups of rabbits that had spread out from the others. The boy studied the positions of all the rabbits, and nodded. When Lian was sure the boy understood what he was trying to show him, he made the signs for "watch," "wait for me," and "shoot them." The boy nodded again to show that he understood.

Lian reached for his bow, and pulled an arrow from his quiver. He kept his movements slow so he wouldn't startle their prey. Once he had an arrow ready, he selected his first target, a single rabbit at the far edge of the group. It was at an angle where the path of his arrow would not pass over the other rabbits, which was good. It was quite possible that even the small shadow of his arrow would make them think a bird of prey was near. After he had chosen his first target, Lian chose five more. With luck, he would be able to kill at least three rabbits before the whole group fled.

Lian carefully checked his aim, then released the first arrow. It flew true, killing the rabbit instantly, even before it could scream a death cry. Lian didn't wait to see if he had hit his mark or not. In rapid succession, he shot two more arrows. Out of the corner of his eye, he could see the boy taking a shot of his own. By then, the rabbit sentries were thumping the ground with their hind legs. As the rabbits bolted, Lian took one last shot at a fleeing rabbit. The arrow pierced the rabbit's flesh, causing it to scream in pain. It collapsed, but it was clearly still alive. Lian walked over, and slit its throat with his hunting knife, ending its suffering. The rabbit went limp within ticks as it bled out into the grass.

The boy had managed to bring down two rabbits of his own, one of which was a clean kill, the other was still twitching, so Lian walked over, and slit its throat as well. Then he slipped into the Web for a few ticks to locate his arrows. When he knew where each of the arrows he'd shot had landed, he went to gather each one. In doing so, he found that each arrow had found its target, and he had four dead rabbits to show for his efforts. Added to the boy's two, they had six rabbits total. That was more than enough to make a nice stew that would last the boy's family a few days.

Lian allowed the boy his moment of triumph. As he removed his arrows from the rabbits he'd killed, he was amused by the boy's antics. The boy cheered loudly, and danced around a bit in victory over his kills. The boy's joy was well earned, but after a few ticks, Lian shushed him. The scent of blood was already a powerful lure to any predators in the area. They didn't need the boy's shouts to pinpoint their exact location to the predators.

He worked quickly. Talise and the boy's strider stood near by. Neither of them were happy about the scent of blood, but their humans' presence kept them from panicking over it. The rabbits went into one yvas bag, and the bloody arrows went into another to be cleaned when he returned home. When the boy saw what he was doing, he followed suit. Lian slipped into the Web once more to check for predators, and found none that were close enough to be a threat to them. But a small pack of something was moving towards them, likely attracted by the scent of blood. Lian wanted to be long gone before they arrived, so he checked to see where Endrykas was in relation to where they were. Then he mounted, and chose a roundabout course that would hopefully throw off any predators if they decided to follow their trail. Then it was time to return home.

Lian Windrunner
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Fruits of the Fall

Postby Tribal on August 26th, 2015, 11:16 pm

R U L E S

Lian Windrunner

Experience

• Logic: 2
  • Observation: 4
  • Socialisation: 3
  • Webbing: 2
  • Teaching: 3
  • Land Navigation: 1
  • Riding, Horse: 2
  • Wilderness Survival: 2
  • Hunting: 2
  • Rhetoric: 2
  • Leadership: 1
  • Tracking: 2
  • Endurance: 1
  • Philosophy: 1
  • Stealth: 1
  • Weapon, Shortbow: 1

Lore

• Logic: Hunting is best done as a family
  • Lian: Filling in for a man with a broken leg
  • Observation: The disposition of a young stallion
  • Teaching children responsibility
  • Drykas Culture: A boy with a strider is a man
  • Talise: A well trained Strider
  • Childcare: Offering praise
  • Webbing: Mending the web
  • Wilderness Survival: Retracing your steps home
  • Teaching a young man to hunt and track
  • Tracking: Fox Tracks
  • Hunting: Choosing your target wisely
  • Webbing: Using the web to locate lost items

Loot

4 x Rabbit [food or sell at 7 GM a rabbit]

Notes

Great job thread, Lian; I really enjoyed this read! Slacking a little on some detail regarding webbing (and riding), but I added all of the small web mentions together to earn you a second point. I really liked the part where you went in and reconstructed the broken web, that was an easy point! Enjoy the rewards and be sure to edit your grading request!
Tribal
Lost in the Tall Grass

Words: 242363
Joined roleplay: June 28th, 2015, 11:43 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Plotnotes