[Minosayaa] Confessions

[1st Winter 514] Ruby unwittingly confides to a Kelvic dog she thought was a normal canine

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This northernmost city is the home of Morwen, The Goddess of Winter, and her followers who dwell year round in a land of frozen wonder. [Lore]

[Minosayaa] Confessions

Postby Ruby Majalenka on December 28th, 2014, 1:12 am

Ruby's mother once said to her, "What differs the boar you're eating now and us is that we inquire into the truth of our existence. Who are we ? What's our purpose for existing ? Why do we suffer ? How can I liberate myself from this suffering ? It is out these simple questions that civilization is established, maintained, and toppled. Animals do not plan that far ahead because to them death is simply a discomfort. Those who build kingdoms and pursue knowledge as a buffer against death are those who regard death more than what it actually is..."

'...a cruel faceless abyss that's constantly trying to wrestle the gift of life from our hands.' Ruby wrote in her notebook, sitting in the first floor of Red Diamond tavern.

Her mother the White Scholar had warned Ruby of this phase of her life, during which she would be deep in a nihilist mindset that came with a life of trying to be impartial in observing the world.

'Looking at a timeframe longer than history as we could comprehend it, we have to realize that our actions could not tip the ultimate scale of life in a neverending game of action and reaction, and the result of creation is the same as before creation. The djed is faceless and reflects not an ounce of the great tales it was once, of magicians altering rules of nature just for the sake of it, of great cruelties one can hope to inflict to another while his loved ones helplessly watch, and of undying love between master and pet.'

She paused her quill. Writing this was emotionally taxing, and she usually would have preferred the silence of her own arvinta in Whitevine hold, but she needed others' presence to distract her from her inner demon. At least she wouldn't commit suicide in a public place.

'It is not hard to accept death as it is because to many's enlightenment (even individuals bestowed with Rak'keli's gnosis such as this healer), the biggest danger in pondering death is the ease with which you welcome Dira's embrace. There is a certain comfort knowing that your time has come and nothing really matters. This is the only way men can re-experience the joy of childhood innocence but at the same time also aware why he's happy. Most men are wise enough to opt for a life of quiet desperation or blind faith built on ignorance rather than risk self-destruction if one is not strong and lucky enough to survive this existential crisis.'

'Sentience is a curse as much as it is a blessing. Man sees rock and his diseased, intelligent mind saw a weapon, the form of a beautiful woman, divine inspiration of grand monuments rather than the rock it merely is.'

Ruby stopped again as the last line had turned into a rambling rather than an organizing of scattered thoughts and concepts she had intended this to be and out of foreboding that follow depression, examined her surroundings for Dira's possible entry point into the tavern. Aside from the main door which was to the direct right of her table, Dira could also enter through the kitchen and cellar door behind the bar, assuming she respect humans enough to follow this norm in entering rooms. "Why not, gods are born from the minds of men." she mused. And what if Dira was already inside the tavern ? If she chose to look a Vantha, she'd be sitting on the same floor as Ruby, else Dira would descend from upstairs where shady characters and wanderers were more likely to occupy. If only Avanthalian winter nights were actually devoid of sunlight, the present mood would be perfect, although bright nights have its own creepiness.

"Writing won't do, I need someone to talk to." she sighed in exasperation, but she knew her pride would never allow her to confide in any humans. Her mother had instilled in her that gifted individuals such as themselves have to be the pillar others could rely on, that they are what they must be before they are individuals with wishes and emotions.

Note to self :
Intended skills to be honed : rethoric, socialization, intelligence, philosophy, writing. Also buy writing supplies and a fur coat in the morning
Ruby Majalenka
Player

Words: 50124
Joined roleplay: April 20th, 2013, 4:46 pm
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

[Minosayaa] Confessions

Postby Minosayaa on December 28th, 2014, 5:46 pm

The sled had pulled up to the tavern,Fun, fun, fun! Going out tomorrow too? Yay! The dog looked at the man unhitching her from the sled, once freed from it she took off her trappings still attached. Let's play tag and I won't lose! She darted into the tavern.

All the Vantha man could do is yell after her and sigh. "Mino! I don't have time for this!" His pleas fell on deft doggy ears. She knew he needed what she still had attached to her and she knew he had to follow her, a perfect game of tag!

Mino bounded through the tavern and most patrons didn't even pay mind, this was an all too common occurrence. She stopped here and there at people she knew would feed her scraps and although no one was able to hear it she always said thank you. It wasn't until a gruff Vantha hunter drinking ale laughed and gave her a bone from his latest kill did she stop and calm down. She knew this hunter, she'd pulled for him before. Only after the novice hunter found her and tried to get her tack off did the burly man have a fit of belly laughs. "She do that to yeh! Got th' personality o' a ch'ld." The man laughed some more and grabbed the sled dog in a hug. Still to most, this happened regularly.
If there is rain tomorrow
I wonder where you will take me.
Surely if I'm with you
That alone will make me happy.

Minosayaa
Lead Sled Dog

Words: 51933
Joined roleplay: October 4th, 2010, 5:54 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet

[Minosayaa] Confessions

Postby Ruby Majalenka on December 30th, 2014, 12:51 am

A large dog barged into the bar and ran around the room, occasionally stopping to ask for scraps from certain patrons who must've fed the dog often. The trappings it wore identified it as a sled dog. Ruby made a mental note to visit the library and read up on this topic while scolding herself because she had been slack with her studies. You never know which information could save your life someday, be it the political mechanism of a city, or even the length of a Vantha's bowel movement cycle.

To the miserable Ruby, a dog's playfulness was as unbearable as overuse of perfumes which was why she preferred cats. Cats were a better reminder of people than dogs. Cats will stay with you only as long as you have something to give it, though it is not wrong to do so in Ruby's opinion. Languishing for the sake of courtesy would only make both sides partner miserable.

For someone who has a hard time forming healthy bonds with people, Ruby's conscience forbade her from asking such loyalty from any living being, gods included.

However she desperately needed a companion to talk to, just for tonight. Someone who could fake compassion just for the night, and expect no reciprocation the day after. Most importantly, someone who could keep secrets. A dog wins in both criteria compared to prostitutes, and cheaper too.

She whistled and held out a hand to the dog.
Ruby Majalenka
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

[Minosayaa] Confessions

Postby Minosayaa on December 30th, 2014, 7:00 pm

Now back in her collar Mino wagged her tail at the novice hunter, See? Wasn't that fun?! She licked her chops from the table scraps.It sure was! While Mino was planning on spending more time with the gruff man who had given her the bone.

A whistle made her ears perk, she began looking for who had called her. No,no,no, not you, or you, no, no, OH! Her eyes caught a woman she had never seen nor smelled before. Was she? Mino tilted her head to the side. Only when she noticed the woman's hand she trotted over happily bone in mouth.

She sat down by the woman, like a good girl. Yes ma'am? You called? I'm Mino of the Frostfawns. I pull sleds, it's fun! But Miss Lady, I haven't seen you before and you smell like salt water... Mino stopped to think back to all the other strange smelling people she had met. None were ever human, maybe this lady was something else too? If so, Mino had never encountered one of her kind before.

Mino set her bone down, and held out a paw for a doggie handshake. She didn't want to seem impolite to this new woman, whatever she was. Mino waited to see what the woman wanted.
Surely if I'm with you

Minosayaa
Lead Sled Dog

Character sheet

[Minosayaa] Confessions

Postby Ruby Majalenka on January 27th, 2015, 9:37 pm

"I'm going to murder you," Ruby smiled slightly. "But let me tell you something first."

The dog wouldn't understand what was being said anyway, so why not take this opportunity to make deadpan jokes ? Yes, words matter not. The dog was helping her cope, just being there. If anything, words would most probably distort what she was trying to convey.

Ruby knelt in front of the dog, and hugged it.

"I'm tired." she whispered, face deep in the dog's fur. "I can't even cry anymore. I've forgotten how."
Ruby Majalenka
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

[Minosayaa] Confessions

Postby Minosayaa on January 28th, 2015, 12:32 am

Wait....What?! She whined as pitifully as she could in protest of her death. Mino pondered it over in her head and even though she was a simple minded creature she still couldn't find any reward or anything good coming of her death. Had she done something? Was Lady Morwen angry with her? Or maybe Leth, the one who made the sky colors? If you kill me I promise I'll haunt you for forever til forever! The dog licked her chops. What? Tell me what? Why you want me dead?

While Mino began to mentally prep herself for what would happen, the woman hugged her. This....was a new method of murder... Mino sniffed at the woman, yes she did smell like saltwater... and something more. Where was she from? What was she?

At the woman's words, Mino began to try and think of what could be wrong with this lady. She was tired, but there were many kinds of tired. She couldn't remember how to cry? Mino found that strange, you didn't have to know how to cry. You just cried. Even Kelvics can cry lady, so I am most certainly something more humanish like what you are compared to me can cry. But, why do you want to cry so bad? Are you sad about something? This woman was strange, nothing made sense with her. She wanted to kill her, she had forgotten how to cry, and that saltwater smell.
Surely if I'm with you

Minosayaa
Lead Sled Dog

Character sheet

[Minosayaa] Confessions

Postby Ruby Majalenka on January 28th, 2015, 2:08 am

Ruby leaned back and stared at the dog. It had black uneven furs.

"Nonono, don't be scared. I was just joking." Ruby laughed. "You're pretty intelligent, for a dog." The last part said mockingly.

Her tone suddenly changed more serious, one of a teacher commanding respect.

"I had a friend once. We travelled together for a year or so, and we got really close. Then my friend had to go somewhere to take care of something, but my friend could never bring herself to say that we need to go our separate ways. In the end, my friend left without saying goodbye. I wake up one day and... gone. I've experienced worse things, but this was the worst. I am unsure whether to hate or to forgive. That finally pushed me over the edge and I've been unable to confide in anyone else since. Now I hate the world with a passion. I am sad because this world is too gray. I want to see it burn just to see how the black and white would separate and become clear."

Ruby leaned back and put their noses together, staring into the dog's eyes. Something felt off. The dog's eye color was darker than when it had been since the beginning of the conversation.

"...shyke. P-Please tell me you're not a Vantha."
Ruby Majalenka
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

[Minosayaa] Confessions

Postby Minosayaa on January 28th, 2015, 3:48 am

Well it was a bad joke.. Mino tilted her head to the side. I'm much more than a dog miss....

The woman wanted her attention, and so she sat and listened intently. Well as best as she could... Full attention was put on the woman. I understand, my master left me. He's been sleeping in the ground for a long time now... The world is far from gray miss, have you seen the sky colors? Or the crystal flowers? Hating the world doesn't help anything. There are things to see!

The woman put her nose to hers. She seemed to notice something within Mino's eyes. Not a Vantha per say.. Mino got to her feet tail wagging happily, she gave a bark. Come on! She tugged on the woman's sleeve. Come on!

Mino guided the woman outside. Much to her relief a small pull sled was outside. She barked for the woman to climb aboard and took the rope in her mouth. The world was not gray. Not at all. She gave a look back to make sure the woman was seated and took off.

Mino had some ideas of what this woman needed to see. First stop was Mirror Lake. It was good run to get there, but running was what she did best. She let a howl happily as she ran. The night was beautiful and the sky was clear. The view would be perfect. Arriving at the Lake she stopped and let go of the rope. Mino gave a bark for the lady to join her and she looked up to the sky. She had been right the sky colors were beautiful and clear. They were amazing. Mino was sure this would stir something within this woman. They'd stay here for a bit, before the next stop.
Surely if I'm with you

Minosayaa
Lead Sled Dog

Character sheet

[Minosayaa] Confessions

Postby Ruby Majalenka on February 1st, 2015, 9:21 pm

Encryption was the study and practice of secure communication in the presence of another party. Ruby's mother was a scholar that encrypted almost everything she wrote, even her personal diaries. The Scholar strongly believed in the idea of confidentiality when it came to knowledge because it can be harmful to those who were not prepared to accept it and those who actively seek knowledge, more often than not, spent too much thinking whether something was possible or not and not enough time contemplating if it should be done at all.

Growing up under such care, being taught what little her mother allowed her to decrypt, in Ruby's young mind she was experimenting with another interpretation of cryptography : The encrypted messages itself as a mean of communication. In this context, assume that the recipient did not possess the means to understand it yet was aware of the presence of an encryption applied to the message. On the knowledge that it would not be directly understood by all, this method of communication was elegant. It was a silly idea, yet Ruby preferred this method instead of attempting to say what she really meant and risk having her intended message distorted by the imperfect trait of mortal languages. She use words she did not mean and hope that some people out there understood. People she will cherish and consider special.

And here the canine was comically missing the point.

Ruby did not appreciate being led out here to be told what she already knew. Looking at the deep blue of the sky, she was reminded of insignificance and mortality, not just her own but also everything that existed, including love and friendship. She would not fool herself that the world was a giant mechanism of individuals doing their own things and that she was honored to take part in it. There was no real way of knowing how much you mattered to the world, any standards were too fickle, unlike cold hard science.

She glanced down on the lake. Were it not for the skaters, she would not notice the lake was frozen, done expertly it was.

"You are a dog after all." she said with contempt, albeit slightly softened out of appreciation for the dog's concern. "Now I am sadder than before."
Ruby Majalenka
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

[Minosayaa] Confessions

Postby Minosayaa on February 8th, 2015, 2:52 am

Mino mentally sighed and took to the front of the sled and once the woman settled, they were off. Why did this woman pity herself so much? Other people lost people, not just her. Mino changed her mind as to where she would take this person. She would show this woman the uselessness of her self pity. They were on their way to the Ice Fields Cemetery, and to a certain grave.

Arriving Mino ditched the sled with haste and ran off into the cemetery towards the Frostfawn burial area. She stopped at the gave she always stopped at. Clawing at the ice at the base of the grave Mino whined as she always did. Darrus! Darrus, wake up! Wake up! You've been sleeping so so long! She looked up at the letters on the grave, she couldn't read them. But she knew what it said: Darrus Frostfawn.

She watched the woman approach and got to her feet. She walked behind the woman. Distancing herself from the woman she shifted. The once large dog was now a small female back hair hung unevenly and large brown doe eyes watched the woman.
Surely if I'm with you

Minosayaa
Lead Sled Dog

Character sheet