[The Mithryn Outpost] Green Fingers

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Postby Jeremy Casing on January 13th, 2015, 7:43 pm

Green Fingers, 78th Winter, 514AV

The Mithryn Outpost had become an oasis for Jeremy. He had visited the farming community several times since his arrival into the walled city, enjoying the company of the farmers who appreciated Caiyha's domain almost as much as he did. Even better, they welcomed him warmly; a Phylonurist would surely ease their struggles to bring about a decent winter harvest. Of course, Jeremy's abilities to do this was somewhat limited. He could communicate with their plants and animals, convey their feelings to the farmers, but do little else. And sometimes, this was not enough. The second time he had visited the Outpost, an angry farmer's wife had cornered him and demanded why her husband's patch of turnips had failed, even after he had covered them with cloth like Jeremy had suggested. The Kelvic had stammered out a nervous reply, claiming that such events were sometimes unavoidable, but he knew that he had already damaged his reputation as one of Caiyha's witches.

Other than that brief conflict, however, his aid had been generally appreciated. Some of the farmers still expected too much, though, and despite Jeremy's tentative comments that he was not a miracle worker, one or two farmers still expected as much.

Today, he was visiting a young farmer by the name of Ralph. His family was one of farmers, with his father, grandfather, and so on, all having worked at the Outpost. As the second born son, Ralph had not expected to continue this lineage, but when his older brother had died the job had forced itself upon him.

Unlike his father and brother, Ralph lacked the instinct of a natural farmer. He fared better with the animals, but since his father's death in the Summer, the families' share of the crops had struggled. This had not gone unnoticed by the Syliras authorities, who were apparently now paying close attention to Ralph's winter turnover.

The farmer met Jeremy outside his home, and greeted him with a firm handshake and rue smile. It was obvious that Ralph's pride was bruised at having to ask for help, at already failing his paternal heritage. Jeremy tried to be brisk, but kind as he followed Ralpha through the fields to his designated area. "How has the season been treating you so far"

Ralph grumbled, throwing a dark look to the Phylonurist as if the answer was obvious. "Not bloody well. I wouldn't have asked for help otherwise."

No more conversation followed. As Jeremy plodded after the farmer, he observed the fields around them. Most were bare, dormant and waiting for the worse of the winter to pass before they could be ploughed and seeds sown. The few fields that were in use housed winter greens, cabbages, parsnips, turnips; all hardy vegetables that should easily grow in less than favourable conditions. But this year had been strangely cruel, and more than once Jeremy saw brown leaves and rotting plants.

He stooped down briefly to touch the dying leaves of a cabbage. The plant conveyed exhaustion, coldness. It had been sewn too late, after the autumn season had begun to cool into winter.

With a sad shaking of his head, Jeremy stood and continued to follow Ralph, who seemed to be in the middle of telling the Kelvic his life story:

"-anyways, m'dad was marked by Bala, so he always managed to cultivate a good harvest. I took after m'man. When Rupert died, I was only a boy and never realised what it meant until m'dad got older." The regret in his voice was unavoidable. Jeremy felt a pang of pity, but it was subsided when Ralph stopped and swept a hand around the half-acre around them. "Anyway. Here we are."

Jeremy Casing
The Urban Witch

Words: 151300
Joined roleplay: August 25th, 2014, 2:30 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Jeremy Casing on January 14th, 2015, 8:00 pm

Jeremy looked around himself, and could not help but give a sporadic barking laugh. It was hopeless, even to Jeremy's untrained eyes. Crooked rows of vegetables lay planted at sporadic distances, and mixed together as well. A parsnip here, an onion there....

"It's quite... Messy." He suggested tentatively, stepping away from the farmer and closer to the healthiest looking crops. Even these were wilted and sad, almost half the size of other vegetables he had seen in the fields.

Ralph snorted. "It's gardenin', not dress making. What's it matter if it looks messy?"

The Kelvic did not reply for a chime or so, wondering how best to criticize Ralph, a man who clearly begrudged having to ask for help from a non-farmer. "Is this how your father planted?"

"I think so. He'd just whack plants down and they'd grow, no problem. Thought it'd be the same for me." That end sentence was tagged on sadly, and again Jeremy pitied the man.

But pity would do nothing for Ralph now. Caiyha’s supposed daughter had blessed his father, so it would not be surprising if his crops had flourished regardless of how he had sewn them. Golden eyes scanned the ground and the plants that struggled to break above it. Jeremy decided there and then that his gnosis would not be enough. "I know little about plants, really." he started, walking amongst the crops. He avoided touching them; their messages would be just too sad. "I'm learning as I go, but it is not easy. Many believe animals are more demanding than plants, but I disagree." Throwing a glance at Ralph, Jeremy saw that his narrative was somewhat wasted. He started again, plainer than before. "What I mean is: Experience and learning are very often the key to success in situations such as these."

Ralph grunted and shrugged his shoulders. "You don't think I know this? I ain't got time to learn a lifetime's worth of farming before the harvest."

The meeting was souring, and quickly.

Jeremy sighed, already fatigued. He stood beside a brussel sprout plant, the top leaves curled and browning. His fingers brushed the plant carefully, already knowing what little help he could offer the hopeless farmer. Then he relayed the message to Ralph. "This was planted close to cabbages, yes?"

The farmer nodded, opened his mouth to further explain but Jeremy cut him off. "Because of that, the leaves were eaten by cabbage flies in the late summer. By the time the winter came, the plant could not truly come back." His words were perhaps harsh, but the tone came out of frustration rather than cruelty. "The organisation of plants is important."
Jeremy Casing
The Urban Witch

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Jeremy Casing on January 17th, 2015, 1:24 pm

"I know that." Ralph replied coolly, throwing his arms outwards to show his frustration.

Jeremy was feeling equally irritated, but tried to do better to hide it. His voice softened as he tried to connect to Ralph on a human-to-Kelvic level. "I know you're trying to do well, but simple mistakes can cost an entire crop."

He signalled for the farmer to follow him, and the two walked up the length of Ralph's plot in silence. Some plants - a patch of Leeks - fared better than the Brussels. When Jeremy complimented them, a weak smile broke Ralph's frown and he pointed to another patch of slightly healthier looking plants: "I made sure to plant those parsnips near some onions. Apparently it helps with carrot fly."

Jeremy had not known this, and it reemphasised to him just how ill equipped he was to advise farmers, even naïve ones such as Ralph. "That is good." He encouraged, "I didn't know that."

He received a querying look from Ralph, as if the farmer did not believe Jeremy's modest admission. "I haven't been able to harness my botany skills as much as I'd like. My work as a Phylonurist usually centres around working with people over animals and plants." It was a frustrating exhausting fact. City people were unappreciative of nature, and were all too quick to pollute and destroy for their own benefit. Looking at the sparse crops that spattered the fields around him, Jeremy could foresee hunger in the near future of Syliras.

And what can I really do to help?

The work of an urban Phylonurist was one that is meant to focus on maintaining the delicate balance between nature and the demands of a civilisation. But in Jeremy's short experience of being chosen by Caiyha, it felt that he had achieved little. Whatever he had Imageachieved seemed to be more in favour of those on two legs rather than four.

He let out another slow, lung-filled sigh.
Jeremy Casing
The Urban Witch

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Jeremy Casing on February 11th, 2015, 10:55 am

Ralph glanced to the Kelvic, eyebrows furrowed. He was a strange fellow, with milky coloured skin that made him look ill and golden eyes that seemed to stare with the determination of a predator about to leap. And yet the farmer could not help but notice the other man's slight frame, his wiry build and long legs. If he were caught in a fight, it would not be completely impossible to imagine that Jeremy might crack and shatter to pieces if he were punched, like a porcelain doll.

Jeremy felt the steady gaze of the farmer watching him, and he did everything to not return the attention. He never quite understood humans, had always felt out of place in their company despite that burning, underlying need to bond with someone. His gnosis had not improved this; animals and even plants were far better company in their silence. If Jeremy wanted to communicate with them, he could choose to. Humans forced their company onto him in the form of comments that said one thing but meant another. Such indirectness confused the Kelvic.

"I think the worse of the winter is over now." He murmured eventually, looking up into the sky as if the overhanging clouds would reveal the weather forecast for the rest of the season. "It should become warmer, and then you'll have more luck with crops. It's not something you can control, though. So..." His voice trailed off, somewhat unsure of what to tag onto the end of that sentence. Jeremy was unfamiliar with bringing relief to humans. Mouth closed, he decided to let the farmer finish his own sentence with whatever would bring the man comfort.

They began to walk back to the farming community in an awkward silence. Both seemed more comfortable in each other's company than before, but both were equally aware of each other's short falls and subsequents frustration. Ralph had come to Jeremy seeking advice, but the latter could provide little information that the naive farmer did not already know. When they reached the Mithryn Outpost, the two men came to a stop. "I'm sorry that I can't be of more help. I can only relay what they tell me." He pulled his facial features into a smile, but the change of expression narrowed his eyes and made them seem even more bird-like.

ImageRalph could not help but stare. He had seen Kelvics and Morphers transform their entire bodies before, but for some reason watching Jeremy change his ever-serious expression to something meant to be cheerful seemed completely unnatural. When the two parted ways, Ralph knew exactly how he would explain Jeremy to his wife: harmless, but very bloody odd.
Jeremy Casing
The Urban Witch

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Sayana on February 28th, 2015, 9:00 pm

Your Grades Have Arrived

Jeremy

Skills:
Skill EXP
Socialization +4
Observation +3
Botany +3
Teaching +1
Gardening +1

Lores:
  • Gardening: Organization when planting crops
  • Gardening: Plant brussel sprouts away from cabbage
  • Gardening: Plant parsnips with onions
  • The cries of the vegetables

Comments :
What a nice read. I liked how Jeremy struggled with the ability to communicate with plants yet not knowing much about plants and growing them as a whole.

Remember to update your ledger to include Winter 514 expenses.

Don't forget to edit/delete your grade request in the grade request thread. However, make sure to keep the link so that the DS can review graded threads with ease.

If you have any questions or concerns about your grade please feel free to send me a message.

Enjoy.
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Words: 1543550
Joined roleplay: September 22nd, 2014, 12:38 am
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Syliras Seasonal Challenge (1) Alvadas Seasonal Challenge (1)