Closed [Red Diamond] Getting Cozy (Rosela)

Voss finds himself clothes shopping for the cool winter months ahead

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

[Red Diamond] Getting Cozy (Rosela)

Postby Sarshassilivoss on January 19th, 2015, 12:14 am

Getting Cozy
3rd of Winter, 514 A.V.

Slowly, Voss was becoming drawn to the idea, and the practice, of 'things'. Beneath the Surf, there was very little one needed. A weapon to hunt with, a kelp hammock to sleep upon (if necessary), and perhaps some gear to help with survival were all that were needed. One ate immediately what was hunted and did not save and store, and possessions such as jewelry, furniture, clothing, were all quite unnecessary.

Yet as the Dhani in human form strode across the streets of Riverfall, he realized that in living upon the land, he was going to have to adapt to this need for things, at least in part. Presently the Iyvess only wore a pair of kelp Trousers that cut off at mid calf, tightly woven, but not so tight as to keep out the chill wind which was running freely over the rest of his bare body. He had no shoes to speak of, and with his shaved head and face, was quite bare.

Voss was used to the cold. Not the bitter dry winds of the land, but the cool deepness of the sea that sunk into such cold that one wondered how it did not become ice so far below the surface, where no light ever touched it. Of course the iyvess did not hunt down so deep for long periods of time, but this cold was not unfamiliar to Voss. Having to endure it in the less protected skin of his human form, however, was new and very unpleasant.

So when he began to ask the rather bewildered denizens of Riverfall where a good place to buy some apparel to endure the Winter were, he was pleased to find that their instructions led him to a small shop not too far away. The Iyvess hurriedly opened the door and stepped in from the chill with a sigh of relief, making a mental promise to visit the Water Park after this was done and take a dip in some of the heated pools.

After getting adjusted to the slightly darker interior of the shop, Voss was drawn to the section of clothing that was obviously masculine in nature. He stared rather dumbly at the pants, shirts, and apparel, not quite knowing where to start, and though he did wish to combat the cold, the idea of these restricting garments on him made Voss cringe. His fingers ran over cotton leather alike, a somewhat apprehensive look in his eye, and it would be quite unsurprising to one who glimpsed his sea hardened form and coarse strange pants that this being had never been introduced to fashion, in any sense of the word.
Sarshassilivoss
Player

Words: 35498
Joined roleplay: July 20th, 2014, 9:42 pm
Race: Dhani
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Rosela on February 11th, 2015, 10:08 pm

OOCOne…month…later…. I’m so sorry this took so long! My future replies should be better…

It was nearing the end of the day and Rosela was praying it would come quickly. It was her first day managing the front by herself since reopening the shop and she was exhausted already. Though she was rapidly gaining stamina back from her time unconscious, an entire day on her feet had sapped what little energy she had. On one hand, she was happy business had returned so easily to a normal level after two seasons away, but on another hand, she wanted so desperately to do nothing but curl up in front of the fire and massage her throbbing ankles. On a third hand, in the moments when she sat down, before the blood pooled to her ankles to resume throbbing, she was glad to be of use again.

She may not be able to carve the invader from her belly; she may dissolve into tears at the slightest provocation; but at least in here, she was Pressorah over all her creations.

It was her creations she managed at the moment, arranging the display of hats off to the far side of the shop. A Konti and her Akontak child had just finished their purchase, leaving the display in disarray after a festive few chimes trying on the more colorful of the wool hats. Shifting her weight from side to side, hands worked quickly to straighten and fluff. Behind her, she heard the door open and waited for the icy blast to hit her before she turned around. Indeed, the draft ran invisible fingers over her arms and legs, and she unconsciously tugged at her red fur stole.

Her mouth opened as she turned, but as she caught sight of her customer, her voice died in her throat. The man walking casually into her shop was practically naked, wearing only short, thin trousers and nothing, literally nothing, else. For Akajia’s sake, he wasn’t even wearing shoes! The sight of his bare feet walking across her floor repulsed her, and the child in her belly echoed the sentiment by suddenly shifting over. One hand pressed to her belly and she gathered her courage and professionalism. If she couldn’t turn this into a sale, she may just keel over.

He was currently investigating the men’s section, a promising turn. His face wore a very familiar mixture of confusion and anxiety, something most men seemed to express when they entered. Was there some way she could make the process easier for them? It really wasn’t that hard…

”Hi there, welcome to Red Diamond Fashions,” her voice was strong and confident as she strode over, the chiffon of her dress fluttering about her. ”I’m Rosela. Is there anything I can help you find?”

Have a moment? Maybe drop by and leave a peer review?
Rosela
Bring me pretty things.

Words: 739794
Joined roleplay: August 24th, 2012, 7:54 pm
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 6
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Sarshassilivoss on February 12th, 2015, 3:46 pm

Voss ran his fingers over the various materials. Though the idea of wearing as much clothing as the other individuals in the city rather appalled him, he had to admit that many of the substances his calloused fingers ran over were delightful to the touch. He was very afraid of disturbing the way anything was folded, stacked, or hung, and so he contended himself with simply brushing his fingers along them, eyes widening at each new garment.

So focused was he, that the voice surprised him slightly, clear and authoritative, and he turned to see a being that he had most certainly never before laid eyes on before. She was fair and meticulously dressed and made up, with a slight bulge around her middle, but Voss's eyes were immediately drawn to her arms, all 6 of them. They were poised and positioned quite naturally for the sheer amount of them, and for a long moment after Rosela's very polite introduction and question, the Iyvess could do nothing but simply stare at them in more confusion and wonder.

It took a few more awkward ticks, but the Dhani collected himself. "Sssorry, misstresss, I isss Iyvesss, have never ssseen..." Not knowing the proper words he simply gestured to her arms. "Very rude. Very ssorry." He forced his dark eyes to meet her own and offered a hand. "I isss Ssarshassilivosss, or...Vosss." He smiled. Not often did he use his full name, but he felt somehow inadequate in front of the woman's beauty and sheer...he didn't quite know what, if it was her aura, her arms, they way her eyes assessed him, or a melding of all of these things into one mass that made him feel a bit like a beggar. "Asss you very much can sssee, I am in needsss of many clothess."

He paused again and glanced around. She had so many things available, surely he had to help her. "If able, I look for warm thingsss, but am ussed to...well thisss..." He gestured down to his trousers. "I would very much like to be the warmth, with not very much of what I sssee the othersss in city wear, or not sso much as they." He struggled with the Common, but hopefully his point came across fairly clear. Then after shirking away from the woman's gaze a bit more he held up a finger. "And I have the mizass." He tapped a pouch that was slid under his trousers at his hip so that the clinking of the coin was audible. He gave a nervous smile, clearly entirely out of his element.
Sarshassilivoss
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Rosela on March 2nd, 2015, 10:19 pm

Rosela was more than used to her arms being stared at, but for the time being, it was something of a relief for them to be the focus instead of her belly. It brought her back to the time before, so she endured the scrutiny was a touch of nostalgia. She waved off his apology with a flippant hand. ”Please, I get it all the time. There’s not many Eypharians in Riverfall so we get some looks.” To keep from overwhelming him, she clasped all six hands in front of her, the top two resting lightly on her stomach.

When he finally spoke, she had to listen carefully to pick the Common out of his oddly slurring words. She felt as though she’d heard his accent before, but couldn’t quite place it. Iyvess, they were the people who’d arrived that summer, weren’t they? She didn’t think she’d met any of them yet, but perhaps the strange slurring was from the far-off land they originated from. She made a mental note to ask him about it after the sale.

”Well, hello Voss, and I’d be happy to help you in that department.” She gave him what she felt was her most comforting smile. ”Let’s just start from the top, shall we? Shirt, then pants. I assume you don’t need any heavy cloaks, and I’m afraid I don’t sell…” Her eyes trailed downwards and she couldn’t quite hide her discomfort at his bare feet. ”Um, shoes. There’s a lovely little stall in Zhongjie that I can direct you to for those. Very good leather work. I assume you’d like…sandals.”

Dismissing his feet from the conversation with a wave of her hand, she refocused on his face, with a passing glance at his broad, bare shoulders. He’d look so impressive in leather and fur, but if he could survive the winter in practically swimwear, he’d likely boil under something so heavy.

”So,” She started abruptly, snapping herself out of her thoughts. ”Shirts. I’m going to guess wool would be too warm for you, so how about we look at some heavy cotton instead? With your complexion, maybe something in cream? Or, if you wanted to go a little bolder, a muted red or blue?” Shuffling through the aisle, she led him to the cotton shirts. ”Do you know if you’d like a button up? It’s a little more formal, but some people like that. If you just want a pull-over, we have a variety of necklines here…” All six hands worked to shuffle through the stacks. ”Let’s see, crew neck, v-neck – oh, you’d look good in a v-neck.” Pulling a cream colored shirt out of the pile, she unfolded it with a shake and held it up. ”It’ll show off a bit of chest. What do you think? If you’re not sure, we can pull out a couple options and you can try them on in one of the changing rooms.” She briefly indicated the trio of doors at the back of the store with a free hand.

Rosela
Bring me pretty things.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Sarshassilivoss on March 11th, 2015, 1:53 pm

The Iyvess cocked his head to the side at how flippantly the woman discarded his rude behavior. Of course as a newcomer, Voss did not know that such many armed humanoids were not common within the city, though his mind ran over the fact that he certainly couldn't recall seeing another one. That being said he largely kept to himself, even if the predominant amount of individuals in the city were the giant strangely toned Akalaks.

"Eh-feer-ee-un" He said softly following her statement. He wondered if they were a race of all females like the Konti. though he detected no scales on her person, she had a similar somewhat inhuman grace about her.

His face perked up when Voss realized he wasn't going to be turned outward for his lack of clothing, nor rudeness, which apparently was the norm in this shop. His grasp on Common was fairly good, but the words for clothing meant very little to him, he shook his head at the word 'heavy' though, and looked quite admonished when Rosela looked pointedly at his bare feet and pointed out that she had no shoes. The idea of encasing his feet in anything seemed almost more horrid than covering his arms and chest, but he stowed away the word 'sandal' for more study later. As long as it was quite different from 'boot' perhaps he could stomach it.

And then his understanding of her speech dropped to an all time low as she discussed colors and styles. The Iyvess focused very carefully on where her hands darted, making sure he understood which word and which style went together. His calloused fingers passed over a button, pulling gently upon the fabric to assess it. Yes he had seen these shirts before, but the fine manipulation of buttons did not appeal to him, the v-neck, however did.

"Pull over, methinkss. I like the vee neck." He felt the heavier cotton between his fingers and nodded. "And color...ah, I like blue, but whatever misstrisss think besst." Though stumbling through Common he mentally checked off her questions, hoping he had answered all of them. His dark eyes had a somewhat pleased quality to them as he smiled, easy creases forming around his lips. "Do you make all clothess?" He said glancing around. It seemed like a lot of work, but then again...she had six hands.
Sarshassilivoss
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Rosela on March 16th, 2015, 12:44 am

The sound of her race in his strange accent made Rosela smile, oddly, and she tilted her head. ”That’s right. We’re from Ahnatep, down south. Have you ever been to Eyktol?” She hoped she could steer the conversation back to where he himself was from, but talking about her homeland was always pleasant.

”Pull-over vee, got it. Let’s see, how about we set you up with some colors…” Fingers tapped out a pattern over the stacks as she looked through for a couple choices. ”I do make them, with a little help from my desk clerk. He’s not in today,” she added quickly, glancing at the empty front desk. ”Six hands can do a lot, but having just two more helps more than you’d think.” In two of her own hands, she started building a small stack of shirts as the four others fetched them from piles. ”You know what, let’s throw in a white too, it’ll look really great on you.”

With four shirts in hand, midnight blue, white, muted red, and cream, she straightened, beckoning him back to the three small doors in the back of the room, picking up a pair of trousers along the way. ”Now you just try these on, and let me know what you think, okay? For the pants, once we have your size, we can look at colors to match the shirts you like.” Setting the stack down on the bench inside the middle door, she held it open for him. "If you need a different size shirt or-“

The front door suddenly swung open, and Rosela was cut short by an icy, to her at least, blast swiping over her legs.

“Rosela! Hi! Oops, sorry...” The Konti held up her hands and looked awkwardly between the two.

Rosela cleared her throat discreetly and gave Voss an apologetic look. ”Hi Kia’ala, your order’s ready, just give me a moment.” Turning back to Voss, she kept her awkward smile and clasped her hands in front of her. ”Sorry, if you need anything, just give me a yell. I’ll be right back, okay?” Leaving him to his devices, she bustled as gracefully as her belly would allow back to the front.

“I’m so excited! First time I’m actually prepared for the Masquerade in advance!”

”Well in advance I must say, and hopefully…” Rosela reached the front desk and pulled out a cotton-wrapped package tied in twine. ”It’s well worth it. Now remember, it’s silk so-“

“Hang it up, keep it away from water, yeah yeah. How much do I owe you?”

Rosela smiled as she checked the receipt, quickly going over her math one more time. Kia’ala was a Konti forever in a hurry, and despite being turned down as Red Diamond’s own clerk position, she was a frequent customer. ”After the deposit, that’ll be 13 gold mizas and two silver.”

“Here…you…go…There. Thanks again!”

Rosela swept the mizas into the drawer and locked it again, a spare hand waving to Kia’ala as she swept out of the store as quickly as she’d come. Returning to the back of the store, she knocked gently on the fitting room door. ”Voss? How’s it going in there?”

Rosela
Bring me pretty things.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes