[Quest] From the Depths [Closed]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A village cut off from the rest of Mizahar by the Valterrian, slowly reestablishing contact with the outside world.

Postby Tabarnac on November 21st, 2010, 10:42 pm

The introductions and banter continued into the excavations, the Denvali men proving affable enough, though Astrid continued as her normal, rather aloof self. She was not unkind or dismissive, but she was a weapon, and everything came through the filter of her discipline; and besides, she was more interested in this group forming whatever camaraderie was necessary to make a functioning unit, while she maintained the mystique of leadership.

They traveled deep into the mines, passing wider spaces where the miners rested and broke their fasts, and finally down a newer, more narrow shaft that resulted in a collapse.

"Aha," the captain said dryly, as she and Marius were at the head of the expedition for the time being and thus the first to see it. Perras and Zagary were the last to gather where their adventure had momentarily come to a halt. Zagary frowned, while his comrade-in-arms muttered a curse in barely recognizable Denvali.

"Master Mero," she continued, "if you please. Examine the rockfall and direct our efforts."

They would find her more than willing to haul rocks in the effort to find her people, and luckily there were enough of them to make good progress if Marius knew what he was about. The spelunker would find that unrefined copper ore was no longer the predominant aspect of this part of the mine, and upon closer examination, the fallen rocks had opened up a possible ascent.
Tabarnac
god of carnage

Words: 346698
Joined roleplay: May 26th, 2010, 3:06 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 5
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
Advocate (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Marius on November 22nd, 2010, 9:27 pm

“Let’s see what we have here,” Marius spoke more to himself than the others. He stepped closer, slipping a climber’s pickaxe from the loop of his belt, and placed his cheek against the barrier of tumbled rock. In situations like these, he needed to feel the rock before he decided where to begin. He stroked the rough surfaces with a callused hand, and then began to tap softly with his pick, frowning as he listened to the faint reverberations. It was clear that the rockfall would take days to shift – time they didn’t have. And yet, this was not a time to despair. “Hmm, this is interesting,” Marius murmured as he sniffed the stone dust, and then give one of the boulders a tentative lick. “I believe we have come upon striations in the rock, he said, taking a closer look. Here there were chunks of feldspar and gabbro, a clear deviation from the monotony of granite.

Marius would have liked to take a few samples, but he instead turned his attention to the tunnel’s ceiling, where he discerned a series of cracks and dark fissures. If these rocks had fallen from above, then surely they had cleared an open space. “I would move back, if I was you,” he smiled at the others. “It’s always possible that I might bring the roof down.”

Stepping onto the slope of the rockfall, Marius used his lantern to study the web of cracks. It took a while for him to find the right spot. He tested the strength of rocks with his pickaxe, muttering and scrawling notes with a piece of chalk all the while, but eventually he decided upon the best place to ascend. Setting his lantern against the wall, where the rocks were the strongest, he hefted the pickaxe and bent to the task at hand. Clang! Clang! Clang! Clang! As the last blow struck, Marius leapt back to avoid a shower of broken rock and stone dust, and then – when he was convinced the roof was stable – strode back to survey the results. Now that the fissure was bereft of the fallen slabs of rock, he was able to clamber into the near-vertical shaft. It was narrow enough that he was able to plant his feet on opposite sides, using them to push upwards as his fingers sought holds on the rough stone. [b]“Up we go, then!”[b] he crowed to his companions, once again neglecting to explain what he was doing. If some of them were unable to master the technique, then he could surely lower a rope for them.
Marius
Give us a kiss!

Words: 26675
Joined roleplay: July 24th, 2010, 5:06 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Sitkanis on November 25th, 2010, 2:29 am

It was a bit disheartening for Sitkanis when Adalia moved away from him. He strugged against the need to use his auristics. When Adalia moved away the first throught that came to his mind was "What did I do wrong? Oh Leth, Adalia hates me." He began to fret over everything that he had done since they had gotten to the ruins. He mulled over every moment in his mind. Only two instances stuck out to him. When he made the comment about wanting her to stay back from the ruins and when he was guaging Astrid's aura. Sitkanis did have to stare at a person to read their aura. He was not extremely experienced in his art yet. "She must have thought I was checking Astrid out!" Sitkanis began to curse himself silently but then he felt a hand slip into his. He smiled, it was clearly Adalia's. Only Adalia had webbed fingers, at least she was the only person he had met with webbed fingers. It was difficult to hold hands with the Konti but the two managed.

The sight of Marius always peaked an interest in Sitkanis. It was not for any reason other than the man was a complete individual. Although Sitkanis did not know a lot of people Marius was the certainly the most interesting person he had met. He watched as the man worked with the rocks. It was a skill that Sitkanis was completely lost in. In truth though Sitkanis was not proficent in very much. He was best at riding horses but there were really no chances to ride in Denval. After a few chimes the path was cleared and Sitkanis stepped forward following in Marius' steps. He climbed up through the rocks and met Marius. "Nice rock work back there. Eh... that's what you would call it correct?" He was trying to make small talk with Marius. He was not good at talking, at least to people other than Adalia. "She will be able to get here okay right?" He could not stop worring about Adalia no matter how hard he tried.
We'll dance in the moonlight
We'll rock till dawn
And if you can't dig it baby
Well then I'm movin' on
-Brandon Saller
Sitkanis
Gimme My Nightlife

Words: 136709
Joined roleplay: August 29th, 2010, 4:54 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Aeden on November 30th, 2010, 9:32 pm

It was not long before they came to a rockfall. Aeden came to a stop, just like everyone else. He stuck to the back of the group, watching their back. More then likely something wouldn't come at them from behind. Marius was called forward and Aeden looked towards the rock fall, curious to see the man at work. He watched as Marius took hold of a pick axe and then began to strike at the rock.

Aeden's inner thief cringed at the noise. His youth had been spent on the street, moving silently, taking what he could, when he could. Aeden had needed things then, taken what he had needed, and he had learned things. One of those things was that silence was needed when approaching a situation you were unsure of. Well, them remaining quiet was long gone now.

As Sitkanis moved up towards Marius, Aeden moved up next to his woman, Adalia. He had noticed what she had pulled out of her pack earlier, had seen some things that the healer on his ship had used to patch him up a time or two. If something did happen, Aeden was smart enough to realize they'd need her for the aftermath.

As he stepped up beside her he looked over at her, smiling a little. "Sitkanis really seems to care for you," he said, just sharing an observation. If she didn't want to start a conversation he wouldn't mind, he was just looking for a way to pass the time.
Aeden
Player

Words: 12440
Joined roleplay: September 1st, 2010, 10:46 pm
Character sheet

Postby Adalia on December 4th, 2010, 8:42 pm

Adalia took heed of Marius's warning, standing almost seven feet away from him. Her hand remained clenched to Sitkanis's, and when it was clear they would be there for a few moments more, she came up against his side, placing her head on his shoulder with a quiet, yet audible, sigh of relief.

Sadly, Marius wasn't busy for quite as long as she thought he would be. In only a few moments, Sitkanis was gone from her side, off to scale the tunnel that Marius had cleared. A frown decorated Adalia's face, but she understood. Idly, she leaned against the wall, arms crossing in a V in front of her. Eyes closed as she drifted off, shutting out the world around her. It could wait. Besides, she was certain that she wouldn't be climbing the tunnel for a few moments more.

Someone speaking to her shook her from her silence. Light blue eyes danced over to the man that stood next to her, looking over him once or twice, taking in his physical details. After a moment or two, the name returned to her. Aeden, the man from earlier, one of the people whom had been brought down with her. She smiled warmly at him, with both her eyes and her lips. "I'd hope so," her quiet voice finally rang out. Her head turned to offer him her full attention, her facial scales catching the torchlight, causing them to glitter.

"If he didn't, I'd be..." Adalia looked for the word, but finally shook her head. "I don't know what I'd be," she admitted quietly. Her smile turned into a silent frown, one of worry, worry about how dependent she had become on her... she wasn't sure *what* to call Sitkanis. Silently, in an attempt to distract herself, she approached the cleared shaft, hearing Sitkanis's voice from above.

"I'll be fine, Sitka," she said, just loudly enough for him to be able to hear her. "I'm coming up now." Her hands darted up to her hair, pulling it back into a pony tail. With her hair out of the way, her hands dug into the small crags in the rock, holding her up for a few brief moments as he legs pushed up against the side of the shaft. Slowly, inch by inch, she scaled the shaft, soft breaths of exertion heard by Marius and Sitkanis above and by Aeden and Astrid below. Finally, with a sense of victory, she emerged at the top of the shaft, hoisting herself up next to Marius and Sitkanis. Slight beads of sweat ran down her face, and she pulled her sleeves up as best she could, revealing the black-inked tattoos and shimmering white scales that decorated her forearms.
Adalia
The Traveling Doctor

Words: 34545
Joined roleplay: September 11th, 2010, 10:13 pm
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Tabarnac on December 4th, 2010, 11:01 pm

Once the dust settled, they began to climb. Marius first, then Sitkanis. Astrid moved to follow, but nimble Perras stepped ahead.

"Please, Captain," he said with respect. "Allow me to precede you."

She nodded, waving him ahead, and then followed him up the chimney of rock that Marius had cleared for them. The airborne grit had dirtied them all in places, though other parts sparkled with mica or some other reflective mineral. If all continued this way, they would eventually either be filthy or look like a masquerade of Semele mummers.

"Lady bless us," Zagary murmured as he eyed the hole in the ceiling. He waited on Aeden and Adalia to make the ascent before him, guarding the rear from any possible threat. The Denvali did not take chances.

Adalia was climbing, Aeden close at her heels, patient with her slower pace. It wasn't a great climb, in any case, but once he stepped from the rockfall that blanketed the mine's floor to the steeply rising pile of rubble that led to the chimney, the rocks beneath began to tremble under his weight.

Not quick enough to escape the sudden quicksand-like effect of the falling rocks, Zagary fell with a shout. Startled, Aeden reacted like a drowning sailor and scrabbled for purchase to pull himself up. His fear-augmented hand caught at Adalia's ankle, pulling her back down with him into the depths. Lucky for them, the fall was not so far, and Aeden and Adalia found themselves dog-piled with Zagary below them amid the rubble, badly bruised and in some places bleeding, surely in a position that might upset whatever possessive streak Sitkanis might possess.

But as for those who had made the ascent, there was only the rock dust billowing up from the hole and that moment of terrible silence that follows such a loud catastrophe.
Tabarnac
god of carnage

Office
Scrapbook
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Sitkanis on December 5th, 2010, 6:09 am

"I have failed her..." Sitkanis looked down at the gaping hole and was filled will remorse. "I should have stayed with her. I wish it was me down there." Not knowing what else to do Sitkanis turned to Marius. "What should I... we do? I can't just go down there and get her. You're the master of Semele here! What do we do?" Sitkanis was on edge and he was going to save Adalia, or at least that is what he told himself. He leaned forward but not so far that he would loose his footing. "Adalia, are you okay?" He was worried to death about her. He sat down on the ground of the mine and placed his head in his hands and sighed. "Leth, please protect Adalia. I will never forgive myself if she is badly injured." He looked up and saw Marius and the few others sitting with him. He walked over to Astrid's side and tried to find his voice. "Astrid, are they going to be okay. I need to get down there! I need to make sure Adalia is okay!" He would have been down there already if there was not the fear in the back of his mind that if he jumped down the hole he might cause another rock fall. He had no problem putting himself in danger for Adalia's sake but he was not going to put her in more danger than she was already in. "Is there anyway I could get down there to her?" He looked hopfully at the captain. He had only been back to Mizahar for about a season. He had to look for others for questions even as trivial as this.

With the lack of conversation from Adalia Sitkanis was left to his thoughts. Usually that was not a terrible thing. This time it would have been better if someone had been distracting him. A small part of his past life had been floating right under the surface for a while. He had not noticed it because there had never really been a time for it to show itself. Now that Adalia was in trouble the opinions of his past life rung loud and clear in his mind. "This is why women should not meddle in men's business. I told her to stay behind and she did not listen..." His eyes shot wide open after the thoughts appeared in his mind. He loved Adalia and he had no doubts that she could take care of herself. "Well that was odd..." He did not want to dwell on the thought for too long. He felt extremely disheartened for thinking what he had thought.
We'll dance in the moonlight
We'll rock till dawn
And if you can't dig it baby
Well then I'm movin' on
-Brandon Saller
Sitkanis
Gimme My Nightlife

Words: 136709
Joined roleplay: August 29th, 2010, 4:54 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Marius on December 7th, 2010, 9:45 pm

Marius had begun to penetrate further into the caverns when he heard the cacophony of shouts. He retraced his steps, dodging pieces of rubble until emerged at the shaft, where he found Perras, Astrid, and Sitkanis crouched at the edge. It was obvious there had been a terrible mishap, but he hadn’t thought it would be this bad. I should have dropped a rope, he frowned. He could have explained the proper climbing technique, or even - well, there were some things you couldn’t control. Regrets would be of little use here.

“Calm yourself,” Marius spoke to Sitkanis. It was not the kindest thing to say, but this was no time for hysterics. “It’s no use trying to mount a rescue before we are certain of the situation down there. I have known more than one miner who has been crushed when his companions tried to dig him out of a cave-in. It is possible that the same might happen again, and I daresay that our predicament might be just as dangerous. From what I have seen, the rocks ahead appear to be even more unstable than those below.

Marius looked from Sitkanis to Perras, and finally to Astrid, his face grave. No longer did the simpering courtier stand before them, but a hardened miner whose eyes shone with a ruthless severity. “If we cannot restore contact, then I would like to carry on and see if we can make it to the other side of the rocks. Nay, I insist on it. Stay here and try to dig them out, if you will, but I must see where these passages lead.”
Marius
Give us a kiss!

Words: 26675
Joined roleplay: July 24th, 2010, 5:06 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Adalia on December 11th, 2010, 7:35 pm

OOCI was hoping to let Aeden post and describe his own wounds, but since he hadn't, I just went ahead and carried on without him :S

Adalia's ascent became all the quicker when the rock beneath her began to vanish, but it wasn't fast enough. The last thing Sitkanis saw of her was a helpless, panicked face, blue eyes twisted with sorrow and worry as her body fell away. Then she was gone, landing painfully amidst the tumbling bodies and falling rubble. A harsh breath flew from her lips as she hit the ground, forcing all of the air from her chest. A few seconds were spent gasping for breaths that wouldn't come until the air finally broke through, coming in quick, panicked spurts. Only after a long minute did she finally get her breathing under control, and that's when the hacking coughs began. A quiet moan punctuated these coughs as she sat up, her entire back aching, no doubt going to be bruised to hell in a few hours.

The coughs eventually began to produce spit mixed with dirt that had been inhaled from the air. Finally, when she felt stable enough to stand, she rose to her feet, examining to two that had fallen with her. A quick movement of her hand confirmed that her pack of supplies was indeed still with her, something that pleased her to no end. Silently, she approached the two men, examining their wounds. Nothing more than some bruises and some bleeding. Mild inconveniences, she was certain. A small, horn-carved flask of alcohol flew from her pack. A thick gauze pad found its way to her other hand from the depths of her the same pack. Silently, she uncorked the flask, pouring a small amount of the elixir onto the gauze, making sure there was enough to cover the wound and a little extra. Finally, she uttered a soft warning. "This will sting a little," with that, she pressed it up against his leg. Quiet, soothing comforts went from her lips to his ears.

"It'll be okay. We're all alive. They'll get us out," she said softly. Pressure was applied behind the thick gauze to staunch the bleeding, and after a minute, she began to wrap a thinner gauze around it, to apply the pressure for her and keep the pad on the wound. A small smile played across her face as she made eye contact with him, and then moved onto Aeden's wounds. Some bleeding right above the knee from his fall, nothing major, nothing a simple bandage wouldn't cover. So she did just that. Yet another heavy duty gauze pad was lightly covered in alcohol and pressed up against his wound, staunching the flowing blood and disinfecting the wound. Finally, she wrapped the heavier padding in a lighter bandage, just as she had with Zagary's wound. Perfect, the bleeding was taken care of now.

Then, Compulsion set in. The Compulsion itched at the back of her mind, screaming at her, burning like an itch that could not be scratched. She had to heal them! Her Oath demanded it! With a sharp breath, Adalia submitted, brushing her hair back behind her ears. "Hold still," she whispered sharply to Zagary, placing a hand over the area that looked most likely to bruise. Her other hand folded over it, the hand marked by Rak'keli, and her mind began to wander, her eyes rolling into the back of her head as her lids shut.

"Rak'keli," she began quietly in Kontinese, "I beseech you now, lend me your power, so that I may aid these people. Lend me your power through the link we share, so that we can bring the world one step closer to being cured of ailments," her mind began to search for the power of Rak'keli's domain, the power that she could channel into these wounds through her body to heal.

There it was! She found the glowing opal light within her mind, brought to her by her Mistress. Adalia reached out and claimed it, channeling the energy through the mark on her hand, which began to glow palely, just enough to stand out against her skin more so than it had before. The Konti's breath stopped as she became a conduit for the divine energy that coursed through her, healing the bruising that covered his skin. Without opening her eyes, she knew it was finished, but she had to heal more. The Urge, The Compulsion demanded it. Those cuts and those bruises on Aeden were within her power to heal! Adalia's hands moved over the cut, moving the bandage off of it. The skin began to knit together underneath her hands, cell by cell. When the wound was sealed, her hands danced over to Aeden, hovering over the light bruising.

The light in her mind was beginning to fade. The energy allocated to her by her Mistress was beginning to run out. Quickly, she finished healing the bruises, and knitting the skin of the cut. Then, the light in her head went dark. A sharp breath passed in through her lips as she opened her eyes, feeling woozy and sick. She slumped over against some of the rubble, coughing a tad bit, still aching from her own fall. The graceful girl's hands covered her face as she trembled silently, her breathing coming in quick, uneven intervals. Only barely could Sitkanis hear her reply from below.

"We're fine, Sitkanis!" was all she could say. Finally, she sat up again, looking at the two men. "What now?"
Adalia
The Traveling Doctor

Words: 34545
Joined roleplay: September 11th, 2010, 10:13 pm
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Tabarnac on December 12th, 2010, 7:31 pm

Above
"Courage, Sitkanis," Astrid said simply, a hand raised to touch his cheek. Her hands most certainly glowed now with the light of her gnosis from Priskil; she was the hope of her people, and the hope of her broken party in the depths. The hand fell to rest on Sitkanis' shoulder, a sign of camaraderie and support as she looked to their expert spelunker.

"Master Mero, please look to the rockfall and tell us whether it would be better to move ahead and attempt another route to our missing party members or to dig down."

Perras was still crouched by the hole from which they had climbed, peering down, waving dust out of the way. It would be impossible to tell without going back down for a closer, clearer look at the place from whence they had come.

Below
"Thank you," Zagary grunted in his accented Common. But it wasn't until he felt the rush of goddess-energy coming through Adalia and into him that his green eyes truly opened wide to stare at the exotic Konti woman. It was likely he was now smitten, but the Denvali were overly fond of foreigners anyhow.

The surge of energy was gentle and brief as Adalia was only an initiate in the mysteries of Rak'keli, but many of Zagary's minor injuries faded away into health, and the more major ones lessened. Feeling a newfound well of energy, a blessing from Adalia's patron deity, he knew he would heal all the faster for it, and he quickly sat up to help move Aeden away from the rockfall. Aeden, it seemed was unconscious.

"I don't think they can hear us," he said quietly, not meaning to kill her hope. "But we survived and it's likely you were the last to fall, so we might yet find them." He pointed down the one path available to them. "We should keep moving. It isn't safe to stay here where it's already proven unstable. I can carry the sailor if you lead the way with your lantern."
Tabarnac
god of carnage

Office
Scrapbook
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

PreviousNext