Completed Sewing the Seeds of Dissent

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Not found on any map, Endrykas is a large migrating tent city wherein the horseclans of Cyphrus gather to trade and exchange information. [Lore]

Moderator: Gossamer

Sewing the Seeds of Dissent

Postby Naiya on February 6th, 2015, 2:00 pm

41st Day of Winter
Long into the Night

The evening had come to a close, and Rue walked quietly through the streets. Late as it was few were still about, most of whom were drinking, or drunk, and had no intention of returning home soon.

Rue, however, felt nothing of the sort, rather she was in a hurry to return home before her absence was noticed. It was getting into hours inexcusable by reasons of work. Her visit to the Dawnwhisper camp had run far later than she expected, not that she minded really, but her family would ask questions if they found out, questions she hadn't addressed with them since the man that was her known suitor had changed his mind.

Sure she had mentioned a man that had caught her interest, told them he shared her interest, beyond that nothing.

Which was why she was headed back to the pavilion she worked in, so that she would be coming home from the right direction. She did not have any plans for what to do if someone was looking for her, so when she turned the corner and came face to face with her brother she was left speechless.

"Ara was worried about you when you didn't come home," His voice was filled with anger and disapproval, "Father worried about allowing her out so late at night, so he sent me to your work." He glanced around the empty roads then took her by the wrist and began to walk, dragging her behind him with each step. "When I asked, Maybell informed me that you had left work hours ago, she mentioned that you had been mooning over some stranger all day."

Rue would have trotted along behind him the entire way home, keeping up with his much longer strides as best she could. She would have even let him rant about the worry she had caused and about how it wasn't safe to wander off alone. This was, however, a step too far. She yanked back from him, pulling her wrist against his thumb to break his grip.

He looked surprised for a moment before he reached for her again, but Rue held her arms at a protective ready that Teo was all too familiar with. His hand dropped to his side, but his posture did not lose any of the intensity of anger.

"She did not say that." Rue bit back the rest of her words, realizing that her anger might get her into trouble.

"What it meant is all that matters. You were off seeing some boy, unsupervised, while your family was home, worrying. What will father say?" Teo's words held the scorn of all of society, alone with a man unsupervised, could anything be worse?

Rue shook her head, he was wrong, this whole thing was wrong, but he didn't give her time to answer him. Instead he grabbed her arm and yanked her to him again, tearing into her once more about all the ways her behavior was wrong.

Last edited by Naiya on March 22nd, 2015, 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Naiya
Player

Words: 766506
Joined roleplay: June 14th, 2013, 5:11 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Naiya on February 24th, 2015, 10:13 pm

"Please, Teo, enough."
She tugged on her arm, not breaking his hold on her, but protesting it just as much. "I am not a child to be chided by my big brother. Surely you think better of me, surely you could not believe half the things you say are based in reality." Her voice was beseeching, dejection clear in her posture.

When he turned to her his face was contorted in a storm of anger. "Enough. Is that what you think? Because I imagine father will only have more to add."

"Then you believe it, everything you've said?" Hurt barely touched the depths of emotion that filled her, these things he said, they were common place from others, but Teo had always been on her side. Yet now it seemed as though the tides had changed. She pulled against his grip again, and this time he let her go. She pulled her abused wrist to her chest, holding it there with her other hand.

"I don't. I didn't." His face grew heavy with shadows as he looked down, kicking angrily at the ground he found beneath him. "But now, Rue, what am I supposed to think?"

"You are supposed to trust me, to have some faith in your own teaching if not my own sense." She implored.

"As you have trusted me?" He spat the question at her, and the force of it hit her like a blow. Seemingly encouraged by her reaction he continued. "You have been working late more often than not, you leave early in the morning, before anyone else is awake and don't return for hours on end without even your strider for protection." Anger, that was his posture, and his words, but beneath that was something worse, betrayal. "Your family worries, and now, to find out that it was all for some man, not work, or for the benefit of the family, but selfishness."

"My family worries? Please, Teo, we both know that is not true."
Naiya
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Naiya on March 14th, 2015, 2:44 am

Teo frowned at Rue, a look of disappointment and disapproval. "I worry, Ara worries, mother worries -"

"And all the while father hopes I don't return." She cut in, "Is it any wonder that I try and stay out of the pavilion and out of the way as often as possible?" It was her turn to walk off in a storm of anger.

She only made it a few steps before Teo fell into grudging step behind her. For a while there was just the tromp of his feet on the hard packed dirt of the travel worn path. He seemed to consider something for a moment, or that was what it seemed in the lackluster shine of the haphazardly placed lanterns. Or perhaps it was just late enough that some had burned out.

That put a bit of doubt in her posture, perhaps it was later than she had thought. Maybe they had been concerned. Though likely they had just gone to sleep, except perhaps Ara and, of course, Teo.

"He doesn't want that. He wants you home safe like anyone else, Rue." Teo argued, though his tone was soft, comforting.

Rue shook her head, but didn't comment otherwise, there wasn't anything more for her to say. She would be repeating herself later, undoubtedly, to her fathher and mother, to Ara, and to anyoone and everyone else in the pavilion.

For now she would enjoy a few minutes of quiet. Being caught hadn't been in her plans, and now that she was, she didn't think there would be much more silence in her future.
Naiya
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Khida on March 29th, 2015, 5:36 pm

Rue Nightsong

Skill Points
Persuasion +1
Planning +1
Subterfuge +1
Unarmed Combat +1
  • Persuasion: appealing to sympathy and trust
  • Subterfuge: presenting the appearance of normal routine
  • Unarmed Combat: breaking a grip on one's wrist

Notes

Short, if not exactly sweet. ;) Not a lot to award here, but definitely a pivotal moment for Rue.

I think the awards here should be transparent; let me know if you feel like I missed anything. Also, please edit your request to show this thread has been graded.
Spring threads: 2/5 .. | .. Season Goals .. | .. GradersMaxed skill: Observation.
Khida
Player

Words: 574944
Joined roleplay: April 14th, 2012, 11:14 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 4
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)