PM to join A garden in a hellscape

In which Irriari visits Café Fleurs on her way to The Spot

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A city floating in the center of a lake, Ravok is a place of dark beauty, romance and culture. Behind it all though is the presence of Rhysol, God of Evil and Betrayal. The city is controlled by The Black Sun, a religious organization devoted to Rhysol. [Lore]

A garden in a hellscape

Postby Irriari on February 11th, 2015, 10:40 pm

Timestamp: TBA

The ravosala ride to the Spot was a relatively short one. The ravosalamen generally guided their vessels south, passing through the city center on their way to the far side of the Docks. Irriari barely registered passing the western side of the Temple of the Black Sun. The first time she had seen the looming building, she found herself in awe of it. Now, it was simply a part of the backdrop of Ravok. The ravosala veered to the right, taking a small canal that led towards the Spot. As the ravosala turned, Irriari found herself staring at the plants that were creeping along the canal edge. Some vines and stems had escaped from the trellis that they were anchored to. Flowers decorated the entire structure, from the very bottom of the base all the way to the impossibly high arch. Lilies mixed with violets and bright perennials provided even more splashes of color among the varying shades of green. Potted white orchids sat under the shade of the trellis with their blooms reaching to the sky. Partially in shock, Irriari nearly floated past the garden before she managed to snap out of her reverie and get the attention of the ravosalaman. He was all too happy to let her off before the Spot. She had paid him for the full journey ahead of time and he had travelled less than half the total distance.

Ignoring the looks from the humans that were milling about the Merchants Ring, the zith moved towards the trellis, curious as to why anyone would maintain such an expansive garden in the middle of Ravok. The flowers called to her much like the promise of a hunt. The flowers that were nested among the wood of the trellis were bold and delicate all at once. They expanded without regard for the limits of the trellis or the edges of the canal. The forests she had grown to love had found a home in Ravok, albeit a constrained one. Irriari reached out and touched one of the smaller flowers that resided near the bottom of the structure. It was similar to the wild daisies that grew in large clumps in the forest meadows. Unlike daises, the coloring of the petals was a bright purple with hints of blue throughout. The petals were small but numerous, each stretching and inch and a half outward from the yellow center of the flower. The petals were soft like velvet but not prone to falling off at her touch. The leaves and stem of the plant were much rougher. They had adopted a scratchy texture that was likely used to deter plant eating predators. Whatever the reason the flowers were here, the zith delighted in finding such a relaxing escape among the tall buildings and nonstop chaos of Ravok.

As she began examining the potted orchids, a man appeared from behind the right side of the trellis. Shaken by his sudden presence, the zith chastised herself. She has gotten so wrapped up in the flowers and plants that occupied the space that she had forgotten to listen for people. Such mistakes could kill her. However, the man that appeared from behind the trellis seemed to pose no threat.

“Is this your first time at Café Fleurs? My name is Darnel, and I own this café. We have a variety of teas and desserts. I can bring you one out here, or you can sit at one of the tables we have.”

Darnel gestured to the direction from which he had entered. Irriari moved slightly past the archway and noticed that there was an assortment of plants bursting from nearly every surface. Vines scaled part of the building, and large trees provided shade for the tables. The zith shook her head.

“I’m more interested in the plants than sitting at a table and watching the humans talk about your food. Bring me a drink, I don’t care what it is.”

While she didn’t think she would care for this mysterious ‘tea’ substance, the zith knew that she would have to part with a few mizas if she wanted to continue examining the garden. It was a small price to pay in order to feel like she was home again. If she closed her eyes and simply existed in the moment and allowed herself to breathe in the fragrance of the flowers that surrounded her, she could pretend that she was still a young zith out with Hatred, gathering berries to eat. The illusion was powerful but not nearly deceptive enough to hold her there. Irriari opened her eyes and focused instead on the flowers in front of her. Those days were as far gone as these flowers were beautiful.

Active thread count: 8/8
Irriari
Blood and Poison

Words: 374003
Joined roleplay: May 9th, 2011, 10:57 pm
Blog: View Blog (4)
Race: Zith
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Overlored (1) Advocate (1)
Donor (1)

A garden in a hellscape

Postby Irriari on February 12th, 2015, 9:03 am

Darnel returned with a large cup of steaming tea served in a cup painted with gold and green rings around the center. The zith sipped the citrus tea slowly, aware that the piping hot pseudo-water could easily scald her mouth. Irriari didn’t prefer warm drinks- boiling water was for torturing humans or specific methods of extracting reagents for poisoncrafting. She fished the 2 silver mizas out of her bag and gave them to Darnel before speaking.

“What’s the purpose of this place? Surely you don’t tend to all these plants yourself?”

Darnel laughed lightly and looked fondly towards a small set of potted plants that had just began to sprout.

“I have help from my niece, Azalea. Once you get them started, most of the plants do pretty well on their own. I have to manage the edible ones more carefully and trim the crazy ones, but I try to stick to hardy varieties. Rhysol keeps the weather moderate enough that I don’t have to worry about winter freezes.”

Darnel paused for a moment and looked her up and down,

“I don’t mind having a zith here, as long as you don’t scare off my customers or treat Azelea badly. But I have to ask, why do you seem so interested in plants? I thought all the zith cared about were hunting humans.”

The stark difference between her colony life and the life she had cobbled together in Ravok struck her as his words sunk in. It wasn’t an uncommon occurrence, but it was always jarring. Gone were the hunting packs and the raw meat enjoyed by a fire. There were no longer slaves that tended to her needs and told her stories. Her new life was one characterized by an ever present loneliness. There was no more camaraderie to be found, and it dug into the crevices of her soul that she had attempted to keep hidden. Zith were not meant to be alone.

“We care about a lot of things. We find hunting humans fun, much like you find gardening to be fun. I like plants because I love the wilds. It is a simple thing.”

With that, the zith handed Darnel back the cup and turned her back to him, walking back through the trellis to the far side of the a flowering hedge. She tried to take solace in the flowers but found none. The man had struck a chord, and now it was damn near impossible to enjoy even the simplest of things. Petching humans.

Irriari hailed a nearby ravosalaman and asked him to take her to the Spot. This place might be a garden among a hellscape, but that didn't mean it was free from the trappings of the city.

Irriari
Blood and Poison

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

A garden in a hellscape

Postby Irriari on February 13th, 2015, 1:29 am

Irriari strode across the plank that connected the Spot to the Docks. The ship was further down than she remembered it, and she had walk past the Slave Market to the Shipyard. She had dallied at the Market for a bell, looking at the various slaves that were chained at their ankles and wrists. A few had stood out as unique, but she could hardly afford the asking price. Capturing slaves was so much cheaper. They had to be fed and they would occasionally defend themselves, but a well-managed hunting party could take down a caravan and liberate the humans that occupied it. The spoils that the caravan carried were a bonus. The realization that she was close to broke was a sobering one. Irriari knew couldn’t afford to stay in Ravok much longer without an influx of coin, so she continued to the Spot.

The tavern was loud, but the din wasn’t loud enough to drive her away. In a bell or two, the ship would be full to bursting. Patrons would have a drink in one hand and another pressed against the wall as they scanned the job board. The mizas they earned would go back into their steins and the cycle would continue until they took on a job that was too dangerous.

Irriari sat down at a table in the corner and waited for the waitress to make her way to Irriari’s table. A chime passed and the zith listened to the conversations swirling around her. Most were the slurred boasts of men too wasted to know that they were barely keeping upright. A few piqued her interest. Rumors of a new shop that dealt in illicit goods swirled around with the familiar stories of what the Nitrozian family was up to. Irriari rubbed her temples and considered getting up to find the waitress herself. As she began to get up, a drunk man stumbled over to her, slurring something about ‘an ugly petching bat thing’.

The blood sight filled her limbs at his insult and she finished standing, extending her wings to either side, while she extended her feet slightly further apart. She shifted her weight forward to the balls of her feet, ready to leap on the human at any moment.

“I don’t bother fighting drunk human scum. Get out of my way or I will remove you.”

The man stumbled forward, aiming a haphazard punch at her chest. Irriari moved to the right and he collided with her left wing, his full weight pressing against it. The zith clenched her teeth and stifled the urge to scream. His weight wasn’t on the delicate bones at the top of her wings, but the pressure still prevented her from moving forward. Instead, the zith strafed to the left and shoved him with all her might. The man didn’t move. Snarling and cursing in zithanese, she dug her clawed hands into the skin of his neck, driving her claws down deeper until they punctured skin and tore it away. The man yelled and stumbled backwards, clutching his bleeding neck. As he did, the zith quickly retracted her wings, whimpering as her tender left wing folded behind her back. The man lurched against a nearby pole and barreled back towards her, screaming in his rage. This time, she was more prepared and dodged fully, placing herself behind the table. The man hit the table with his gut and fell over. The zith stood up and kicked him once in his ribs for good measure before striding up to Alice.

“I need a job. Do you have any that involve fighting or killing things?”

Alice smiled before replying,

“Are you the one that dealt with that mess of a man? I’m glad you did, he kept grabbing at me like a desperate schoolboy. There’s a man in Ravok seeking out some wolf pelts. 20 mizas a pelt, if you can manage to get any. A girl came by here a while ago, but the client said she never came back with the pelts. The job is yours, if you want it.”

Irriari nodded.

“I’ll take it.”

With that, the zith left the Spot and headed back to her home to gather her supplies before going out into the wilds.

Irriari
Blood and Poison

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Donor (1)