Solo Familiar Stranger

Seirei meets a stranger for the second time, and gains a friend.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Not found on any map, Endrykas is a large migrating tent city wherein the horseclans of Cyphrus gather to trade and exchange information. [Lore]

Moderator: Gossamer

Familiar Stranger

Postby Seirei Dawnwhisper on February 23rd, 2015, 8:19 pm

A delicate bloom
Timestamp: 19th Day of Winter, 514 AV

Seirei couldn't help but sigh as she looked out of the tent flap at the pale grey sky. The air was crisp and cold, and their was a brisk breeze that made her shiver as it blew through the opening of the tent. She felt...dismal. Just like the sky looked. It wasn't any one thing, really. Lian was out somewhere, hunting most likely. And that was a relief. Seirei never knew when he would start raping her again, so every moment spent in his company was very stressful for her. But she just didn't seem to have any energy today. She wasn't tired, exactly. No more so than was usual these days, anyway. But she still felt...weary. Maybe that was it. And not even the thought of working on one of her many projects seemed to excite her.

That didn't stop her from trying, though. Seirei selected a few branches, and began stripping the bark off of them with her knife. The movements were...familiar. Reassuring. And although the simple task didn't offer any sense of excitement, or challenge, it was peaceful in a way. Seirei allowed her mind to drift as she worked steadily. She quickly lost herself in memories of happier times. Memories of working with wood under her mother's patient guidance.

The tent around her faded away. She could almost hear her mother's soft voice offering advice, and feel the warmth of her mother's hands rubbing her shoulders as she worked. It was a nice daydream, but it faded away as the task at hand was completed. With a quiet sigh, Seirei began the task of cutting the branches into small pieces. Once again, she allowed her thoughts to drift as she worked.

This time, however, her thoughts were of the present, not the past. When Seirei had first been captured, she had immediately started planning her escape. Instead of fleeing blindly, and ending up dead in the Sea of Grass, she wanted to do things properly. So she had come at her goal from two angles. The first had been to try to learn the shills she would need to survive if she picked the wrong caravan to escape with, and she found herself alone in the wilderness.

Seirei had met with a little success in this area. She had learned a few things that would help. But her task was made very difficult by the suspicions of the people around her. She couldn't very well ask someone to teach her how to survive out in the Sea of Grass outright. If she did that, it would be obvious that she was planning to escape. Working with a language that she only knew from sporadic lessons from her father when she was a child didn't make things any easier. So she had made very little progress in this part of her escape plans.

The other angle of attack had been to save up some money. She knew that she could buy her passage to another city with one of the many trade caravans that came to Endrykas. But that would require mizas. She would need supplies for the trip too, and that would cost even more money. And Seirei knew that even after she got to a new city, she would need time to find a job, and a place to live. She would need money to get her by until she got herself back on her feet. For that reason, she needed a nest egg of mizas to tide her over until she could get herself established in her new home.

Seirei had had more success with this part of her escape plan than the first part. Lian allowed her to work with wood whenever she wanted to as long as it didn't inconvenience him. He even allowed her to keep any mizas she earned by selling what she made. But even then, it was hard. The people of Endrykas often refused to buy from her because she was an outsider. That left selling to foreign traders, and to the occasional Drykas who was willing to buy from her. She also had to buy the supplies she needed, such as wood to work with. Sometimes, like last fall, she was able to find a source of wood out in the Sea of Grass. But she still needed to buy a lot of the wood she used, and that ate into the money she was trying to save. As a result, it was harder to save up the mizas she was going to need. She had hoped to have escaped long before now. Instead, she was beginning to fear that it might take years before she was able to escape. How many children would she be forced to bear her captor in that amount of time? Seirei hated to think about it.

When she had finished cutting the branches into pieces she could work with, Seirei got her smallest bow drill, and began drilling out the pulpy centers of each piece. She was distracted with her own thoughts, so she ended up ruining more pieces than she normally would. But she still ended up with a fair amount. After a while, she gave up. She was too distracted to give her work the attention it deserved. Suddenly feeling the need to get out of the tent, Seirei decided that a walk might do her some good. She could use the exercise, and it might help her to clear her head.

Word Count4631 words
Last edited by Seirei Dawnwhisper on November 13th, 2015, 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Seirei Dawnwhisper
Player

Words: 511147
Joined roleplay: March 5th, 2014, 7:11 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Familiar Stranger

Postby Seirei Dawnwhisper on November 12th, 2015, 9:02 am

A delicate bloom
aaa

Without conscious direction on her part, Seirei found herself among the trade caravans. Possibly because she had been thinking about them in her musings. Or perhaps it was because she was accepted as herself there. The traders couldn't care less whether she was a captive, used as a brood mare, or the most important woman in the city. What they did care about was exchanging their goods for her money. And if they could get more out of her than their goods were worth, so much the better. It gave Seirei a fleeting taste of freedom as she browsed through what the traders had to offer.

As she had been many times in the past, Seirei found herself drawn specifically to the caravans that offered items made by fellow carvers, carving tools, and a variety of wood to work with. Speaking with several of the traders told Seirei that most of them had come in from the desert. Others were caravans that had traveled with the city from their fall grounds, wanting the safety of numbers as they traveled through the Sea of Grass towards their next destination in Eyktol. It was interesting to see what the desert traders had to offer. As far as different kinds of wood were concerned, then had mostly exotic woods, like palm tree wood. Working with a completely unfamiliar wood would be an interesting challenge, but Seirei simply wasn't in the mood for it right now.

So she browsed aimlessly, with no real idea of what she was looking for. After a while, she found a wooden chest. It was a large chest with good hinges. The quality of both the wood, and the workmanship were plain to see. But for all of that, it was a plain, simple wooden chest. There was nothing shabby about it, but it had clearly been made with function in mind, not aesthetics. Seirei couldn't help but stare at the chest, her mind whirling with possibilities. With the right kind of specialty knife, she could turn that simple chest into a work of art. If the technique she wanted to try worked, that is. She knew the basics of how to do it, and she had seen it done before, but had never actually tried doing it herself.

"You have a good eye for quality work. That's a fine chest you have your eye on. Can I tempt you to buy it?"

"For the right price, yes. I'm not looking for a chest for myself, exactly. But, I'm a wood carver. There's a technique I want to try, and a chest like that one would work well for what I have in mind. If it works, I hope to sell it for a profit."

"Hmm...a girl after my own heart. And a craftswoman. Traders like myself have a great deal of respect for skilled artists, and craftspeople. After all, if it weren't for people like you, traders like me would have a lot less to sell to our customers." the man said with a bright smile, and a laugh.

Seirei found herself smiling shyly in return, and then the haggling began in earnest.

"Seeing that you are a craftswoman, I can give you a bit of a discount since you want the chest for a project. How does ten gold mizas sound?"

Seirei grinned.

"And I thought you just said that traders like you respected craftspeople like me?" she asked lightly.

She was still smiling, but something in her tone suggested that she wouldn't be taken lightly. Her confidence and sense of self worth had dwindled down to next to nothing during her time as a captive, but she was on familiar ground now.

"I might consider accepting that price...if the chest was at least twice the size it is, and had been made by a master in their craft. Of course, if that was the case, it would almost certainly have a design of some sort already, which would make it useless for what I want it for. I'll give you one gold miza for it." she countered.

Buy low, and sell high. It was a basic concept when it came to trading. Seirei had grown up among people who lived by that rule. So although she hadn't ever put it into practice herself, she did know when it was being used against her. It worked best with people who didn't know the true value of what they were buying. Or in the case of the craftspeople looking to sell their wares, it worked best with those who spent so much time lost in their work that they didn't spend much tine with others, and therefore didn't know just how much people were willing to pay for their work. Seirei was neither of these things.

"One gold miza! Does this look like shoddy workmanship? Does it look like it is likely to fall apart on you in less than a season? No, and that is because this chest was made to last!"

The haggling continued on for a while, before they came to a price that they both could live with; three gold mizas, and 5 silver ones. That was another rule among traders. The best kind of deal where each party leaves feeling that they got the better bargain. Seirei also bought a very specialized knife that was the perfect tool for what she wanted to do, and a set of ten charcoal sticks. When she was finished, she handed over the money, took her purchases, and left.

Note7 GM, 1 SM, 5 CM will be deducted from my ledger for Seirei's purchases; 5 cm for the charcoal sticks, 3 gold mizas and 5 silver mizas for the chest, and 3 GM, 6 SM for the kolrosing knife - it isn't listed in the price list, so to get that price, I took the price of a carving tool listed in the price list (adze; 7 SM), added it to the price of a tiny/detail brush (5 SM), and tripled the cost to account for the likely difficulty in making the specialized knife. I have no idea if this is the right price for something like this or not, but if it isn't, I can correct it.

Word Count6478 words
Seirei Dawnwhisper
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Familiar Stranger

Postby Seirei Dawnwhisper on November 13th, 2015, 4:45 am

A delicate bloom
aaa

Seirei walked as quickly as she could on the way home. The chest was uncomfortably heavy for her to carry, and she suspected that she probably shouldn't be carrying that much weight at this stage in her pregnancy. It was also bulky, and awkward to carry. Normally, Seirei hated the sight of Lian's tent, and all that it represented to her. But just now, she would feel more than a little relieved to see the end of her little excursion.

Even as she thought that, she felt her grip slip. The sudden shift in weight threw her off balance, and she fought to regain it before she fell. Strong arms wrapped around her from behind, supporting her weight until she could regain her feet.

"Are you okay?" a man who looked strangely familiar asked in concern.

The first thing that Seirei noticed about the man was his hands. They were rough, and calloused. But not in the way a man who lived by the sword would be. Several of the guards who had been hired by her caravan had used swords, so she knew what sword callouses looked like. No. This man's hands were the hands of a craftsman. He had a strong, powerful build that would normally intimidate Seirei badly, but it was hard to fear someone who was looking at her with such concern.

"I...yes...yes, I am. Because of you. Thank you." she said, feeling flustered.

The man smiled. Seirei got the impression that he smiled a lot. And he had a kind expression in his eyes. He had set the chest she had bought on the ground beside them, and Seirei moved to pick it up once more.

"Here, let me get that for you."

Without giving Seirei a chance to refuse, he picked the chest up easily. The weight that she had struggled with seemed like it was nothing to him.

"A girl in your condition shouldn't be carrying something this heavy, anyway."

His eyes rested on her belly for several ticks before rising to meet her own gaze once more.

"Hasn't your husband told you that before?"

"My...? No...I...I'm not married." Seirei said softly.

The man's eyes widened a bit in understanding.

"Are you a captive, then?" he asked sympathetically?

Seirei nodded. She braced herself nervously for the scorn that was likely to come her way as a result of that realization. It never came.

"We owe our captives a lot." he said quietly.

Seirei's eyes widened in confusion.

"Unfortunately, most of my people tend to forget that. Captives are taken because the future of the Drykas depends on the children that they, and our own women bear for us. A Drykas woman has the rights given to any Drykas if she has bonded to a strider. Just as any other bonded Drykas does. Most have at least some say in who they marry. But a captive...a captive is torn from everything she ever knew and loved, and forced to come to a strange place she knows nothing about. Then she is sold to the highest bidder. She has no rights. No guarantee that she will be treated kindly by the father of her children...no guarantee that she will come to like much love the man that forces himself on her. And even when she does bear her master a child, all she has to look forward to is a brief respite before she is bred again. And yet without the children that women like you are forced to give us...we would have no future."

Seirei could only stare at the man standing before her. She had never heard anyone explain the plight of a captive in quite that way before. Most of the people she had come across never seemed to understand what it was like to be a captive...or even that they had any feelings at all.

"I..." Seirei was at a complete loss of words.

The man frowned, his eyes narrowing as he studied her.

"Haven't I met you somewhere before?" he asked slowly.

Seirei started to say that she didn't think so, but then she stopped, frowning thoughtfully. He did look vaguely familiar to her. She searched her memories for several chimes, trying to remember where she had seen him before. Then it came to her.

"Yes, you did. It was earlier this season...and you saved me then, too." she said with a shy smile.

The man grinned.

"Then we really must stop meeting like this." he said with a chuckle.

"Perhaps the gods are trying to tell us something if they keep pushing us together like this." he continued.

"Perhaps so." Seirei replied softly.

"Well, if the gods want us to become friends, then who am I to argue? My name is Terrin Sunweaver. What's yours?"

"Seirei."

Seirei hesitated.

"Sunweaver? Do you know Teisaia and Rytira?" she asked curiously.

"Yes, I do. They're my cousins. Actually, now that I think about it, I think they've mentioned meeting a friend named Seirei. They've spoken highly of you."

Seirei blushed.

"It's nice to meet you, Seirei. Now, where are you heading? I'll carry this for you, and we can talk a little on the way, okay?"

Seirei nodded.

"I was heading back to Lian Windrunner's tent. He's...well..."

Seirei couldn't bring herself to call Lian's tent "home." It never would be home to her. She gestured in the direction she had been heading in, and started walking slowly.

"Lian Windrunner, huh? He's your...the father of your children?"

Seirei flushed, placing one hand on her belly. Then she nodded.

"What Clan is he from? What does he do?"

"He's a hunter. And he's from the Sapphire Clan. I don't know what they do, though."

"Do?"

"Well...each of the Clans seem to be known for something. Aren't they? Like the Opal Clan...they're known for being healers. I've been trying to learn about this city and its people." she added softly.

"That's probably a good idea. The more you know about us, and the more you can act like a Drykas, the better people will treat you. Well...not really, but it might help a little. It would show people that you are trying to learn our ways. At the very least, it couldn't hurt. As for the Sapphire Clan, they are known for being magic users. Reimancy, mostly."

"Reimancy? That's..."

Seirei frowned. She had heard the name before, but she had been quite young at the time. And she couldn't remember what it was supposed to be able to do.

"Reimancy is the ability to control elements. Sort of. It's very complicated, and I don't really know much about it. But I think that a Fire Reimancer can divert grass fires away from the city if need be, and a Water Reimancer can find water. Stuff like that."

It sounded very interesting, and Seirei said as much. Seirei wondered if Lian was a Reimancer of some kind. He had never said anything about it...but he wouldn't. Not to her, at least. She hadn't seen any sign that he was, but that didn't necessarily mean anything.

"What other Clans do you know about?" Terrin asked curiously.

"The Amethyst Clan are horsemen, and the Emerald Clan are hunters. I already mentioned the Opal Clan."

"Hmm...well, now you know about the Sapphire Clan, too. Then there's the Diamond Clan. They're warriors. They're the ones who are known for protecting us from outside threats. As for me, I'm from the Ruby Clan. And we're known for being craftspeople. I, for example, work with clay. For the most part, I stick to making pots, bowls, vases, and the like. But I've been known to try my hand at making a figurine or two at times."

Seirei's eyes lit up with genuine interest.

"Really? I'm a wood carver."

Now it was Terrin's turn to look interested.

"We'll have to get together, and compare our work, then. Maybe you could teach me a thing or two about carving? In exchange, I'd be happy to show you the basics of what I do."

Seirei smiled.

"I'd like that." she said quietly.

Lian's tent came into view, and Seirei pointed it out to Terrin. When they arrived, he entered briefly so he could set the chest down where Seirei wanted it.

"Well, I should probably get going. I have errands of my own to run. But we definitely need to meet again some day soon, Seirei."

"I'll look forward to it."

Much to her surprise, she actually meant it. She had never thought she would ever trust a Drykas man after the way Lian treated her, but she found herself genuinely liking Terrin Sunweaver. Seirei watched him leave, then retreated back into the tent to begin her work.

Word Count7947 words
Seirei Dawnwhisper
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Familiar Stranger

Postby Seirei Dawnwhisper on November 13th, 2015, 4:48 pm

A delicate bloom
aaa

Seirei stared at the top of the chest she had bought for several long ticks, imagining several different designs dancing across its surface. She had never tried using this technique before, but she had seen it done several times in the past. She had also been taught the basics, such as how to hold the knife she needed to use for her project. Even so, it wouldn't do for her to try a complex design on her first attempt. For that matter, her drawing skills weren't up to the task of drawing a complex design, anyway. In the future, if she wanted to try her hand at a more complex design, she would have to get better at drawing first.

She got her charcoal sticks, and began at the outer edge. The first part of her design would be a border. She kept it simple for the most part, but at each of the four corners, the straight lines she was drawing for the border would curve into gentle spirals. Within the narrow confines of the border, she drew simple shapes. Squares, rectangles, and triangles were the most common. But she did add some circles, ovals, and stars to complete the mix.

In the center of the top of the chest, Seirei drew a design made up of a series of triangles, each turned a slightly different way, to make a rather odd looking star shape. And in the center of the shape, she drew a simple grass scene, using straight lines to make up the grass. She added a few flowers for contrast. The design was a very simple one compared to the ones she had watched others do. And someday, she hoped to be good enough to be able to create her own elaborate works of art. For now, though, her design would work for a child's toy chest, which is what she was aiming to create. If it turned out well, she hoped to sell it back to the traders for more than she had bought it for.

Once she was finished drawing her design, it was time for the real challenge. This particular technique didn't call for removing any wood, as most carving techniques did. But it did require a very steady, delicate hand. And the slightest mistake could ruin the entire design.

The first thing Seirei needed to do was make certain that the surface was as smooth and even as she could make it. So she took her smoothing cloth, and began rubbing it across the surface vigorously, using brisk circular motions. After a while, she slowed her movements. But she continued smoothing the surface longer than she normally would.

When she was satisfied with her progress, Seirei set aside her smoothing cloth, and picked up her new knife. Holding her kolrosing knife the same way she would hold a charcoal stick, she set the blade of the small knife at the top, right edge of the border. Then she pressed down lightly on the surface. It was a straight line instead of a curved one, so she pulled the blade towards her slowly. The blade of her knife bit into the surface of the wood just enough to make a shallow cut, scoring the wood.

It was difficult, painstaking work, made harder by the fact that she was unfamiliar with the method she was using. But she took her time, and rested often when her hand began to ache from the tension required to hold the knife absolutely still as she worked. If her hand trembled or jerked even the slightest bit as she scored the wood, it would make a mark, spoiling her design. Every so often, she would stop, and shake her hand to loosen the muscles so they wouldn't start to cramp up as she worked.

Word Count8583 words
Seirei Dawnwhisper
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Familiar Stranger

Postby Seirei Dawnwhisper on November 13th, 2015, 6:04 pm

A delicate bloom
aaa

As she worked, Seirei learned that making a curved line was far harder than making a straight one. Especially if a tight turn was involved, like it was in the spirals she had drawn in each corner of her border. It required a completely different technique, which Seirei managed to fumble into after some trial and error added to memories of watching another carver making curved lines in their own design; one that had been far more complicated than Seirei's own design was. By holding the knife like she would a charcoal stick, but with the blade facing away from her instead of towards her as it had been when she worked on making a straight line, it was possible to make a curved one. Instead of pulling the blade towards her, she positioned her left thumb against the back of the blade, and gently pushed the blade away from her. Using the former method made it impossible to make a tight turn, or a nice curved line. Seirei had learned this the hard way, and several of the circles in her design had been ruined before she had figured out what she was doing wrong.

It took several long bells of hard work, and more than one nap break in between them before she was finished. As Seirei examined her work, she frowned. In several places, the curved lines she had messed up on marred her design. The child that eventually got this chest to store their toys in might not notice them, but they stood out with painful clarity to Seirei. They were flaws, and Seirei was enough of a perfectionist to want to fix them if she could.

Although it was impossible to erase a scored line once it had been made, Seirei found that by adding lines, she was able to minimize the damage. Or if not correct the damage exactly, it at least drew the eye away from it. So the damaged circles became suns, or random designs of her own imagining. When she was finished correcting her mistakes, Seirei examined her work once more.

Deciding that she had done the best that she could, it was time to move on to the next stage. And for that, she needed something dark to rub into the lines she had scored into the surface of the chest. This would make them more visible to anyone who looked at the design. Seirei thought long and hard, but she couldn't remember what she had seen others use in the past. But she had an idea that she hoped would work.

Seirei took her old charcoal sticks, and placed them in one of the bowls she used for her paints when she was painting beads. Then she went outside to look for a rock. It didn't take her long to find a palm sized one that would work for what she wanted to do with it. Using the rock, she smashed her old charcoal sticks. Then she ground the shattered remains into as fine a powder as she could. It was this powder that she would use to darken her design.

She took handfuls of the powdered charcoal, and rubbed into her design. Seirei continued doing this until the entire surface of the chest had been covered with the powder. Then she carefully wiped away the excess. As she swept the black dust off of the chest, she tried to get as much of it back into the bowl as she could. If she saves the leftovers, she could use them again on another design.

When she was done, she examined her work. It was far from perfect. The designs she had watched others make were far more elaborate, and beautiful. But that would come with time, and practice. No one was perfect at their first attempt at trying something new, and Seirei was proud of what she had done. It might be simplistic, but it wasn't bad for a first try.

There was only one thing left to do. The design had to be set. The carvers she had watched in the past had used bee wax for this. Unfortunately, Seirei wasn't sure where she could get some of that this time of year. Or at all, for that matter. Bees were common enough in the Sea of Grass during some seasons, but not in the winter. And even when they could be found, Seirei had never heard of any Drykas looking for bee hives to collect wax, or even honey. That didn't mean that they didn't do that...but it was unlikely that she would be able to buy any from them even if they did since she was a captive. And Seirei didn't have the faintest idea of how to find a bee hive, never mind how to gather anything from it without getting stung to death in the process.

Fortunately, she had heard that some oils would work just as well. Including walnut oil, and she did manage to find some of that being sold by one of the trade caravans earlier in the season. Seirei rummaged through her belongings until she found the oil container. She carefully poured some into another of her bowls. Then, using her fingers, she carefully spread the oil over the surface of the chest.

It took her a long time to do, because she needed to apply a generous coat of oil so her design would set. When she was finally finished, she cleaned her hands off, and pushed the chest over into a corner so the oil could set, and dry for a few bells. Once the oil had started to dry, she would add another coat or two before leaving it for a few days so it could dry completely. then she would give the chest a good buffing with her smoothing cloth, and it would truly be finished. Seirei lingered for a few ticks to admire her work. Then she set about cleaning up her mess.

NoteThe 2 GM for the walnut oil has been deducted from Seirei's ledger

Word Count9583 words
Seirei Dawnwhisper
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Familiar Stranger

Postby Tribal on November 26th, 2015, 12:39 am

G R A D E S

Seirei

Experience

• Carpentry: 1
  • Meditation: 1
  • Logic: 2
  • Planning: 2
  • Carving: 1
  • Negotiation: 1
  • Observation: 1
  • Socialisation: 2
  • Flirting: 1
  • Rhetoric: 1
  • Drawing: 2

Lore

• Planning: Learn to survive
  • Planning: How to gather funds to escape
  • Logic: Buy low, sell high
  • Pregnant women should carry heavy items
  • Logic: The Drykas owe their captives a lot
  • Reimancy: The ability to control the elements
  • Drawing: Design ideas for carving
  • Drawing: Lines and curves
  • Beeswax: Not common in winter
  • Treating wood with oils

Intervention

This was far too much of a social thread to be considered a job thread, Seirei. It also feels a lot like another job thread you submitted not long ago. I need you to apply for a job change this winter season; this is all getting a bit stale. You can continue to work on carving in Seirei's own threads, but I think it’s time you made a change in her line of work, something you can write without going off track so much. Contact me if you have any issues.
Tribal
Lost in the Tall Grass

Words: 242363
Joined roleplay: June 28th, 2015, 11:43 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Plotnotes