Solo Friendly Debate

Seirei and Terrin get into a friendly debate over which is better; carving, or pottery.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Not found on any map, Endrykas is a large migrating tent city wherein the horseclans of Cyphrus gather to trade and exchange information. [Lore]

Moderator: Gossamer

Friendly Debate

Postby Seirei Dawnwhisper on February 23rd, 2015, 8:48 pm

A delicate bloom
aaa
Timestamp: 51st Day of Winter, 514 AV

Exercise was good for both her, and the unborn baby...but that didn't mean that she had to like it. Walking was the best way of exercise she could think of. But going for a walk meant going into city. And that meant snide remarks, and scorn for being a captive. It also meant getting pushed or shoved out of the way by her "betters," if she accidentally got in the way of someone who was in a hurry. And that could be dangerous if it caused her to fall.

The weather didn't make going for a walk any more appealing. It was cold, and dreary...which was only to be expected in winter. So it was with deep reluctance that Seirei set out on her walk. She walked briskly, both because it was good exercise, and because she hoped that by doing so, people would assume that she was busy, and leave her alone.

It seemed to work, too. As Seirei made her way towards the River Flower, no one bothered her. At first, Seirei had vague ideas of visiting her friend. But as she approached the healing tent, she realized that her friend was probably busy. For that matter, she didn't even know if Waisana was working today. And after her experiences with other healers, she was more than a little reluctant to risk running into anyone else.

With that thought in mind, she turned and left without entering the River Flower. She wasn't ready to return to Lian's tent though, so she continued on her walk. Not far from the River Flower, Seirei found a white and purple tent that was roughly half the size of the River Flower. White meant Opal Clan, so Seirei guessed that it must be related to the River Flower in some way. Or if not that, then it must be related to healing in some way, since the Opal Clan was known for its healers. But what did the purple mean, then? Purple was supposed to represent the Amethyst Clan...wasn't it? And they were known for being skilled with horses, and striders. How could the two be related?

The mystery was solved when Seirei saw someone lead a limping strider into the tent. It was a place where horses and striders could be healed much the same way that people went to the River Flower for healing when they were sick or injured. Perhaps other animals were healed here, too. It made sense that the Drykas would have a place that specialized in healing animals. Especially horses and striders, given how important they were to the Drykas people. Voices came from inside the tent. They were quiet, so Seirei couldn't make out much of what was being said, but she did catch the words Healing Hoof. Was that the name of this place, then? If so, it seemed to be a fitting name.

Seirei continued on her way. After walking aimlessly for a while, she found herself in a wide open area where herds of zibri, goats, sheep, oxen, and other animals that Seirei couldn't quite recognize grazed freely. She also saw flocks of chickens, geese, and ducks, as well as pigs, and rabbits. Several of the animals were heavily pregnant, and would presumably give birth in the spring. Seirei took note of this as she looked around, trying to figure out where she was.

"Seirei? What are you doing here at the Pride? Did Lian send you to buy some livestock for him?"

Seirei looked up at the familiar voice. When she saw Terrin, she smiled. She had only seen him a few times since she had met him for the second time, but she couldn't help but like him. He was very easy to like. And he didn't make her nervous and wary the way most men did There was something about him that made her want to trust him.

"The Pride? Is that what this place is called? And no, he didn't. I was taking a walk, and I just sort of...ended up here." she said softly.

Terrin grinned.

"Well, this is a very good place. It's peaceful here. It has to be, since this is where we breed our livestock. Hunt assist animals, the ones hunters buy at the Hunter's Allegiance to help them when they go hunting are bred here, as well."

Seirei nodded, taking note of what Terrin had told her. She had noticed that several families that were camped around Lian had various livestock of their own. This must be where they bought it from. She had also noticed that Lian did not own any. It was something she had wondered about a little from time to time. But she thought it was probably because he spent so much of his time out hunting. When would he have time to care for any livestock if he owned any? And since he lived alone...other than her, anyway, there was no one else to care for the animals either.

"What about you? Did you come here to buy livestock?"

Terrin shook his head.

"It's quiet here this time of year, so I often come to think. And when I do, I usually volunteer to help out for a while, so they will tolerate my intrusions."

"I should go, then. I don't want to be a bother to the people who work here, and I should let you think..."

Terrin shook his head again.

"I didn't come here to think this time. I was out visiting a friend who works over at Garthos Supply. It's a shop run by Garthos Treeshadow of the Ruby Clan. They sell all kinds of dried meats and fruits there, as well as other supplies someone going on a trip is likely to need. Tents, flint and steel, water skins...that sort of thing. You can also hire guards, translators, and guides there. It's a popular shop for the traders who come here. My friend works there, offering his services as a guide for people needing someone to show them around the city. He will also take people to Riverfall sometimes in the spring when we're staying close to that city."

"He didn't have much time to talk, though. And I have errands of my own to run. I was on my way over to the Spit Fire to see if they had any bear meat for sale when I saw you here." he continued.

He hesitated for a few ticks.

"Do you want to come with me?" he offered.

"We could go to my pavilion afterwards, and talk for a while if you want."

Seirei smiled shyly.

"I'd like that." she said simply.

Word Count11,022 words
Seirei Dawnwhisper
Player

Words: 511147
Joined roleplay: March 5th, 2014, 7:11 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Friendly Debate

Postby Seirei Dawnwhisper on November 17th, 2015, 3:09 am

A delicate bloom
aaa

Terrin set the pace, walking slowly so that Seirei wouldn't have to strain herself in order to keep up with him.

"When are you due?" he asked after a while.

Then he flushed.

"If you don't mind my asking, that is."

Seirei shook her head, indicating that she didn't.

"It could happen any time, now." she said softly.

"I bet you're looking forward to giving birth."

Terrin flushed again.

"Well not that, exactly. But...you know...having it all over and done with. Not being pregnant anymore."

Seirei nodded slowly. Then she hesitated.

"I am, but..."

"But what?"

"Lian...the man who..."

Seirei shuddered deeply. Terrin gave her a sympathetic look, and nodded in understanding.

"He hasn't touched me since he learned that I was pregnant. My healer told him that it would be bad for the baby if he did. And I want this to be over. I really do. I hate feeling exhausted, and moody all the time. I hate the back aches, and feeling off balance all the time. I hate knowing that his child is growing inside me, making me feel miserable all the time. But...but after the child is born, he'll probably want...more. He said as much when he captured me. He said that I'd spend the rest of my life bearing his children. So when I'm not pregnant anymore, he's going to..."

Seirei shuddered again. Just the thought of the pain she'd felt each time Lian had forced himself on her made her cringe. Terrin's hands twitched. He wanted to comfort her, but he didn't know how.

"I wish I knew what to say. Better yet, I wish there was something I could do to help." he said at last.

"But I can't. You belong to Lian. He probably will want more children out of you. From what I've seen, most men who own captives sire as many children as they can on them. When Lian does decide it's time to get you with child again, there won't be anything I can do to help. The law is on his side in this. But if it helps...I think he'll give you some time to recover after you give birth. So with some luck, you won't have to worry about him forcing himself on you for a while."

Terrin hesitated for a few ticks before continuing.

"As much as I wish I could, I can't stop Lian from using you, Seirei. But when he does, I'll be here if you need someone to talk to. I can do that much, at least. And sometimes it helps if you talk to a friend, even if all they can do is listen."

Seirei stared at Terrin for several long chimes. She barely knew him. And she didn't trust men. Not after the way Lian had hurt her so badly. Not after the way her own brother had betrayed her, abandoning her to her fate in the Sea of Grass. But that didn't seem to matter. There was something about Terrin that made her want to trust him. Her friendship with Waisana had happened just as suddenly. Seirei had thought that she would never be able to trust anyone again after Jared had betrayed her. Not completely, at least. And yet, trust and friendship had been born with their first meeting. The same thing seemed to have happened now. Perhaps it was because Terrin had saved her from a nasty fall twice now. Or perhaps one of the gods was involved. Seirei wasn't one to think herself important enough to warrant attention or interest from the gods, but she was at a complete loss to explain it any other way.

"Thank you." she said at last.

They walked in comfortable silence for a while. When they reached the Spit Fire, it became obvious to Seirei that it was a place where hunters went to get their kills butchered. Morning sickness no longer bothered her this late into her pregnancy, but she was still sensitive to some smells. Including the scent of blood. Her stomach roiled uneasily. She must have turned a little green, because Terrin suddenly asked if she was okay as he guided her to the edge of the camp. When the nausea began to pass as soon as the smell wasn't as intense anymore, Terrin insisted that she wait where she was while he completed his business. Then he was gone. True to his word, he returned fairly quickly...without the bear meat he had hoped to buy. He told Seirei that they had sold the last of it not long before he asked about buying some. Then they began the walk back towards Terrin's pavilion.

Word Count12,316 words
Seirei Dawnwhisper
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Friendly Debate

Postby Seirei Dawnwhisper on December 18th, 2015, 9:00 am

A delicate bloom
aaa

When they reached Terrin's tent, he invited her inside, and gestured at a number of brightly colored cushions on the ground that were clearly meant to sit on. Seirei took the invitation with a smile, and thanked her friend as she sat on a plump, red cushion. Terrin offered her both drinks, and something to eat. The thought of eating something made her stomach feel uneasy, so she politely declined. But she did take him up on his offer for something to drink gratefully, and requested some water.

"Do you mind if I get some work done while we talk? I have a bowl that I really want to get done in time for my sister's birthday, and that gives me less than a week to finish it. Firing it in the kiln alone will take days."

Seirei shook her head.

"Of course I don't mind. But, if you don't mind my asking...what is a kiln?" she asked, pronouncing the unfamiliar pavi word carefully.

"This? It's called a kiln."

At Seirei's confused look, Terrin elaborated.

"It's a special kind of oven. Sort of. But you wouldn't ever use it to cook food. People who work with clay use kilns to make their creations harden."

Seirei nodded thoughtfully.

"So a "kiln" is a "kiln." she said after a few ticks, saying the word carefully in pavi the first time, and then repeating it in Common.

It was Terrin's turn to look confused, and Seirei explained that she was saying the word in Common as well as in pavi. This time it was Terrin's turn to nod. Then he launched into an explanation of the other tools he used commonly. With each new tool, he gave Seirei time to practice the new sigh she had just learned, and to practice saying the word out loud a few times. In exchange, Seirei would teach him what the tool was called in pavi. The exchange of information lasted for a few bells, and continued until Seirei had a basic understanding of the terms of tools and techniques that were commonly used by a potter like himself, as well as the names for the glazes that he preferred to use.

Terrin sat beside Seirei as he spoke. He set a good sized lump of clay in front of him, and began pounding it with his fists. When asked, he explained that pounding on the clay and kneading it would soften it, making it easier to mold into the shape of his choosing.
Seirei Dawnwhisper
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Friendly Debate

Postby Seirei Dawnwhisper on December 19th, 2015, 7:08 am

A delicate bloom
aaa

"You do realize, of course, that working with clay is far better than carving, don't you?" Terrin asked with a playful grin.

Seirei scowled, but there was more than a little amusement in her eyes as she stared at him.

"Dream on! A carver takes something that was once alive and reveals the inner shape hidden within its depths. And in doing so, they create a thing of beauty. You potters, on the other hand...you're just playing with dirt!"

Terrin sputtered incoherently for several ticks. Whether it was from feigned outrage at the "insult," or amusement at the impudence dancing in Seirei's eyes was anyone's guess. "Dirt," indeed!

"Dirt? Dirt! Clay is not dirt! I'll have you know that clay is worth far more than your silly little trees and rotting bones ever will be!"

Seirei eyed the clay dubiously for a tick or two.

"Not dirt, huh? It comes from the ground, doesn't it? Just like...you know...dirt? As far as being better than wood, and bones goes, ha! I don't have to bake my projects in an oven for days before you can use them!"

"Yeah? Well clay is far more versatile than anything you can work with!"

"Really?"

"Really!"

"Have you ever gone fishing before?"

Terrin hesitated, startled by the sudden apparent change of subject.

"Of course I have. Everyone goes out fishing at some point!"

"And what did you use to fish with?" Seirei asked sweetly.

"A fishing spear."

Seirei grinned.

"One made of wood? Possibly with a blade made out of bone?"

Terrin didn't say anything. Seirei took his silence as a victory, and her grin widened.

"And those beads you're wearing around your wrist. What are they made of?"

Terrin scowled at her, still refusing to speak. Seirei couldn't help it. She laughed.

"There, you see? I think I won our little debate here. Wood is more versatile than clay. You can make any number it things with, and all you can make out of clay are dishes of all kinds, figurines, and toys for children. So there."

Terrin chuckled.

"Okay. Maybe I have to give you that point. Wood may be more versatile. Maybe. But that isn't what we were debating about, now was it? We were debating about which was better; carving or pottery. And that is a debate that you will never win. So there."

Terrin stuck his tongue out at Seirei, making her giggle. It felt good to be silly like this. Seirei couldn't remember the last time she had just...played around like this. It was fun, and it was a great way to relieve tension.
Seirei Dawnwhisper
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Friendly Debate

Postby Seirei Dawnwhisper on December 19th, 2015, 7:14 pm

A delicate bloom
aaa

"Terrin, do you think you could help me with something?" Seirei asked after the two friends stopped laughing, and teasing each other about their respective crafts.

"Sure. What is it?"

"You taught me a lot of pavi words that are commonly used in your craft. Do you know terms for other crafts, too? Maybe names for different tools or types of paint that a painter might use, or the names of the tools a carver would use?"

Terrin gave the matter some thought.

"Well, I know some of the different kinds of paints, and brushes that a painter would use since I often paint the things I make out of clay. But I really don't know anything about carving. Does that help, at all?"

Seirei couldn't help but be disappointed that Terrin wouldn't be able to teach her the pavi words and signs related to her own craft, but she nodded anyway. Terrin gathered up several different kind of brushes, and set them out in front of Seirei. Then he sat across from her.

"Do you see this smallest one?" he asked, pointing to the paint brush in question.

Seirei nodded again.

"That is called a detail brush. It's used to...well...paint details on your work rather than painting a large area. It's the brush I use the most when painting. Not that I am any good at it." Terrin said ruefully.

Seirei smiled at that. She could understand that feeling. She wasn't any good at painting either. Seirei practiced both the word, and the sign several times before she indicated to her friend that she was ready to continue.

"This is a small brush, this one is a medium brush, and this is a large brush." Terrin explained, pointing to each one if turn.

"A painter would choose the one they wanted to use be looking at the size of the surface of whatever they wanted to paint."

Seirei nodded thoughtfully as she practiced each new word and sign. That made perfect sense to her. You wouldn't want to paint a large picture with a small brush; it would take far too long if you did. Terrin started to say something, but he fell silent, as his eyes widened.

"You know, my younger sister is a carver. If she's here, I bet that she'd be willing to help you." he said with a smile.

Seirei's eyes lit up at this, and Terrin chuckled. Then he got up, and offered a hand to Seirei.

"Let's go take a look, shall we? If she's here in the camp, she's probably in her work tent."

Terrin took the lead, and Seirei followed him to one of the other tents in the large camp. When Terrin called out a greeting, a young, feminine voice beckoned them inside. Seirei saw a young woman who looked as though she might be a year or two younger than Seirei. The pretty blond haired woman smiled at them, and offered a warm greeting. Seirei couldn't help but feel herself relax in the woman's welcoming presence. It was very rare for Seirei to trust a person on sight these days, but Terrin's sister had an air about her that made Seirei want to do just that.

"What can I do for you?"

"My friend Seirei here, is trying to learn pavi. She has a good grasp on the basics, so I'm trying to help her learn some of the more specialized terms. I taught her the ones commonly used in pottery making, and the names of the more basic types of paint brushes. Since she's a carver like you, I was hoping that you would be willing to teach her the pavi names for the tool you use. Things like that." Terrin explained.

"If you'd like, I can teach you the Common names in exchange." Seirei offered shyly.

Terrin's sister eyed Seirei carefully. Seirei saw her take notice of her swollen belly, and guess that she must be a captive. But like Terrin, she didn't seem to hold it against Seirei. Instead, her eyes brightened with interest at the thought of a language exchange.

"I would like that. And I can't leave a fellow carver not knowing the names of her own tools!" she said with a grin.

"So. What tools do you use the most frequently?"

Seirei gave the question a little thought.

"My chisel, drill, knife, and gougers." she said at last.

It wasn't a complete list by any means, but since she made a lot of beads, those were the ones she used the most often. The other woman told Seirei the pavi name for each tool she had mentioned. As she did so, she made the sign. Then she gave Seirei the chance to practice both. When she thought she had gotten a firm grasp on them, Seirei returned the favor by telling Terrin's sister the Common names for each tool. From there, they progressed through the rest of the carving tools that the two women had, and into different types of wood. Terrin watched the lesson for a while, then laughed to himself in amusement when he realized that both girls had forgotten his presence entirely. Then he left to go work on an idea for a clay bowl he had been thinking about for a while.
Seirei Dawnwhisper
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Friendly Debate

Postby Tribal on January 9th, 2016, 9:29 pm

G R A D E S

Seirei

Experience

• Endurance: 1
  • Logic: 1
  • Socialisation: 4
  • Observation: 3
  • Flirting: 2
  • Storytelling: 1
  • Rhetoric: 1
  • Teaching: 1

Lore

• Exercising while pregnant
  • Opal Clan: White colours
  • Opal Clan: Healers
  • Amethyst Clan: Purple colours
  • Amethyst Clan: Good with horses
  • Kiln: A special oven for clay
  • Techniques for kneading clay
  • Pavi: Signs and words dealing with clay
  • Potters: People who play with dirt
  • Painting: Using a detail brush
  • Pavi: Words and signs associated to painting

Notes

Lots of lore to be found in this thread. Enjoy the rewards!
Tribal
Lost in the Tall Grass

Words: 242363
Joined roleplay: June 28th, 2015, 11:43 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Plotnotes