Movin' To Mithryn

[Solo]: Eren and his patron travel to the outpost.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Movin' To Mithryn

Postby Eren Turna on March 1st, 2015, 9:48 am

3rd Day of Spring, 515 AD
Early Morning

With a slow yawn, Eren Turna resigned himself to a long day of discomfort in the saddle. Transferring the reigns to a single hand, he leaned forward to give his horse an idle scratch behind the ear, and the chestnut mare snorted happily at his touch. When Farkus Gornidas spoke, it was with a casual confidence, and he turned an inquisitive eye towards the squire.
"You've never been to Mithryn before, have you boy?" His own horse was an old, grey stallion, though Farkus would argue that the animal's instincts more than made up for it's comparative lack of speed.
"No, I can't say I have," Eren replied smoothly, holding no doubt that Farkus was well aware of the fact. Straightening his back, he returned the older knight's curious gaze. Such a basic piece of information hardly merited verbal confirmation, he thought.
"I see," Farkus said, nodding once before returning his attention to the road ahead. For a long moment, silence stretched between the pair, disturbed only by the gentle clopping of their horse's hooves. Eren's eyes widened, and he felt an eyebrow twitch.

Farkus was tight lipped. Despite being squired to the older knight for almost three years, it was the only thing Eren felt he could confidently state about the man. There was an air of mystery about him, and Eren found it irritating. Gone were the days when he would argue that particular point, however. Closing his eyes, Eren took a single, deep breath. Recently, his patron had been somewhat more responsive when Eren tried to weasel answers out of him, though only if he was clever about doing so. The message was clear: useful information did not come easily.
"So, what's in Mithryn?" Eren asked causally, keeping his eyes on the road and taking care to look as uninterested as possible.
"At the outpost?" Farkus replied cheerfully. "Lots of things, really. Farms, houses; a cabbage or two, I'd imagine."
"I see," Eren said, mimicking his patron's earlier display of nonchalance. Returning to their shared silence, the pair made steady progress, their horses slowly eating up the miles. An icy whisper of wind caressed Eren's cheek, sending a shiver down the young man's spine. Morwen's touch still lingered, it seemed. In time, Syna rose, and her golden glow swept away the pale grey of early morning.

"Surely there'd be more than that," Eren said abruptly; it had been well over a bell since he'd last spoken.
"More... what, exactly?" Farkus asked, sounding almost amused.
"Cabbages," Eren replied simply, struggling to keep emotion from crawling onto his face. Farkus turned to study the squire with unmasked scrutiny, raised eyebrow and all.
"Cabbages?" he asked bluntly.
"Yes, cabbages." From a nearby thicket came an explosion of black feathers, and all sound was drowned out by the chilling cacophony of cawing that accompanied the event.
Crows, Eren deduced, easily recognising the bird's trademark call. Throughout it all, his patron's gaze bore into him, and a trecherous bead of nervous sweat threatened to slither down his forehead.
"Okay, I'll bite," Farkus eventually said when the noise subsided. "What in Sylir's name are you on about, boy?"
"You said there might be a cabbage or two at the Mithryn Outpost, right?" Eren turned an innocent expression towards his patron as he spoke.
"I may have said something along those lines," Farkus replied, eyes narrowing in suspicion.
"Well, surely there'd be more than that." Eren nodded his head as if to confirm his own words.
"More... cabbages?"
"Cabbages, yes."
"Eren..." Farkus stated slowly, his voice slipping into a dangerous tone, "What's your point?" Eren couldn't be sure if the frustration he saw refelected in the older knight's eyes was genuine. With Farkus, it was almost impossible to tell.
Too late to back down now, though.
"Well, I was just wondering why you'd lie to me like that," Eren said, trying to sound sincerely hurt by the fabricated betrayal of his patron. After a few ticks of further silence, Farkus started laughing.
"Not bad, kid," he said between guffaws. "Not bad at all." Eren wasn't sure whether to feel disappoitned or smug at the development, and ended up settling for a bit of both.
"So, you'll tell me then?" Eren asked hopefully.
"Tell you what?" Farkus replied, a smile still playing at the corner of his lips.
"What's really in Mithryn? Why are we going there?"
"Oh, that," Farkus said, shrugging away the importance of his answer. "That's where you'll be living from now on."
ImageImage
Eren Turna
Organic Improvisation

Words: 24028
Joined roleplay: February 1st, 2015, 8:34 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Movin' To Mithryn

Postby Eren Turna on March 1st, 2015, 9:49 am

Eren sat in stunned silence for a long moment, and it took almost slipping from the saddle to snap him back to a semblance of lucidity.
"What do you mean, live there?" the squire eventually managed to choke out, barely acknowledging how redundant the question must have sounded. Farkus noted the boy's stiff shoulders, and the bleached knuckles with which he strangled his reigns.
"It means what I said it means," the older knight stated simply. "As of today, and until I say otherwise, you will be stationed at the Mithryn Outpost."
"But this is so sudden!" Eren immediately protested, still struggling to process the revelation.
"Not really," Farkus continued, scratching idly at his salt and pepper chin. "I've been planning to send you there for a while now."
"And it didn't occur to you to discuss it with me first?" Eren asked, immediately regretting the unintentional sharpness that creapt into his words. Much to his relief, Farkus didn't seem too bothered by the tone.
"Not really," he said. "Would it have made a difference?" The question killed any further protest, and Eren took a moment to consider it.
Probably not, he eventually concluded, sighing in resignation of the fact. Farkus' instructions were law to the squire, he knew.
"What about my belongings?" Having calmed down, Eren started considering a few practicalities.
"I'll arrange to have them brought to you," Farkus told him, and it would have to be reassurance enough.
"I see," Eren replied softly, turning his attention towards the horizon, and Farkus was content to leave him alone with his thoughts. All things considered, the older knight generally approved of his squire's reaction.
"What do you think?" he asked his constant companion, whispering softly enough that Eren couldn't possibly hear him. Even if he could, the young squire wouldn't have understood a single word.
"He'll be fine... probably," replied an elegant, female voice. She didn't whisper. She didn't need to. Eren couldn't have heard her even if he wanted to, such was her nature.

Eventually, the land started to flatten out, and Farkus called out to Eren to grab his attention.
"We'll stop here to give the horses a rest," he said, to which the squire agreed with a wordless grunt. He'd long since come to accept his pending relocation, and had spent his time trying to prepare a mental list of benefits to living at the outpost. It was depressingly short, but Eren was hopeful that he'd be able to add to it after actually spending some time there. The alternative wasn't even worth considering.
"...-etting too old for this," Eren overheard Farkus grumble to nobody in particular. His patron had already dismounted, and was rubbing tentatively at his backside while he rummaged through a large saddlebag.
Seems it's not only the horses that need a break, the squire thought. Kicking his feet from the stirrups, Eren swung his right leg over the horse before dropping elegantly to the ground.
"Thanks for your hard work," Eren praised the mare, retrieving an apple from one of his packs. The horse chomped cheerfully on her treat, and Eren took a moment to stretch out his joints. Despite poking fun at his patron, several bells in the saddle would cramp anybody up, he knew.
"You shouldn't spoil your horse like that," Farkus said sternly, his own horse nudging his shoulder with its snout. "Now see what you've done?" As he chastised Eren, the older knight reluctantly retrieved an apple from his pocket and fed it to the grey stallion. It was all an act, Eren knew.
You wouldn't have brought any apples if you didn't intend to feed him. Eren offered a casual shrug in apology, but suspected his grin ruined the effect.
ImageImage
Eren Turna
Organic Improvisation

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Movin' To Mithryn

Postby Eren Turna on March 1st, 2015, 9:52 am

Eren took a long drink from his water skin, prompting a satisfied sigh. Whatever didn't make it into the squire's mouth trickled playfully down his chin, and he took a moment to brush the bread crumbs from his lap. As far as meals went, it had been a simple one, but he enjoyed it all the same.
"Tidy yourself up boy, we have company," Farkus called from a few paces away. Following his patron's gaze, Eren spotted a pair of riders approaching from the south.
Heading for Syliras, Eren guessed, hopping nimbly to his feet. After tucking in his shirt and donning his duster, the squire decided that he was presentable enough, and turned to tell his patron exactly that.
"Well, this should be-" Eren cut his sentence short. Farkus, now standing, had a deep frown etched into his features. The older knight still had his gaze locked on the riders, and his eyelids were narrowed in concentration.
"Is everything okay?" Eren tentatively asked, and his patron turned his attention back towards the squire.
"Oh, more or less," Farkus replied, and much to Eren's relief the frightening look on his face had all but evaporated. "Things might get a little tedious, though." Eren wasn't sure what that meant, but suspected he was about to find out.

As the riders drew closer, their armour gave them away as Syliran Knights. One in particular stood out, and Eren couldn't help but widen his eyes at the sight.
He's huge! Bulging with muscle, the knight sat atop a monster of a horse, and the young squire suspected anything smaller would have buckled beneath the man's sheer mass. A look of recognition crossed the large knight's expression when he noticed Farkus, and a wide grin quickly took its place.
"Ser Farkus!" he bellowed in a thunderous voice that seemed too deep to be human. Eren heard his patron offer an exasperated sigh: they knew each other.
"Ser Dom," Farkus said in a tone too polite to be genuine. "You're as enthusiastic as ever, I see." The two newcomers had reigned in their horses, and Eren's gaze returned to Ser Dom's companion. Closer inspection betrayed his youth, and Eren placed him at roughly his own age, perhaps younger.
Ser Dom's squire, he concluded, offering a nod to the freckle-faced boy. His face stoic, the other squire returned the greeting.
"I see you've still got that squire of yours," Ser Dom continued, not at all bothered by Farkus' comment. "Seems a little scrawny compared to mine, don't you think?" Eren narrowed his eyes at the insult, though it wasn't completely untrue; the other squire was undeniably bigger than he was.
"How I train my squire is of no concern to you," Farkus replied, still maintaining his façade. To his credit, Ser Dom seemed to see through the act.
"You hear that Will?" he asked. "Seems Ser Farkus here doesn't like me insulting his squire. Careful now, or he might steal your face and turn you into a frog." Ser Dom's laughter rolled from him in powerful waves, and the young Will was quick to join in. Eren came to a decision: he didn't like either of them.
"How do you two know each other?" Eren eventually asked, directing the question towards his patron. Farkus remained silent, and much to the squire's displeasure, it was Ser Dom who answered instead.
"Inquisitive little thing, aren't you?" he said. "Back in the day ol' Farkus here would occasionally help my wing track down the odd bandit den, right Farkus?" He kept his tone oddly casual, and the revelation sparked another question.
"I didn't know you were a tracker," Eren said to his patron.
"I'm not," Farkus replied, and the dark look he shot Eren put an end to any further discussion of the matter. "Regardless," he continued calmly. "I wouldn't be so quick to judge. Eren is stronger than your squire." Farkus smiled. "I have... an eye for such things." In that moment, Eren found his patron's manner truly terrifying, but Ser Dom didn't seem at all intimidated.
"Is that so?" he asked sceptically, climbing from his saddle and hitting the ground with a dull thud. In three massive steps, he was standing next to Farkus, and the mountain of muscle bent so that they could see eye-to-eye. "Prove it."
ImageImage
Eren Turna
Organic Improvisation

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Movin' To Mithryn

Postby Eren Turna on March 1st, 2015, 9:53 am

A mere ten feet separated the two squires. Both were shirtless, though Eren had insisted he be allowed to keep his scarf, and the green silk sat comfortably around his neck. Will was being trained in more than just unarmed combat, it seemed, and Eren suspected the sword and shield set aside by the freckled squire weren't just for show. However, in the name of fairness, their spar was to be a fist fight.

Before they could begin, Farkus pulled Eren aside and spoke very softly into his ear.
"Humble the boy. It'll be good for him," was all the older knight said, and he offered Eren a single, encouraging pat on the back. The words rang in the squire's ear as he stared down his opponent. Will's expression was intense, and his hands were balled into large fists.
If he hits me, I'm going to feel it, Eren thought solemnly. Initially, he'd been reluctant to participate in what seemed like a proverbial pissing contest between the two patrons. Despite their occasional clashes though, he trusted Farkus' motives, whatever they may be.
"Squires! Are you ready?" Farkus bellowed. Both he and Ser Dom were standing shoulder to shoulder from their vantage point, close enough to intervene if necessary.
"Aye!" Will called, falling into a fighter's crouch. Eren breathed in deeply through his nose and held the breath. Practised fingers pulled his scarf upwards so that it wrapped around his forehead, and a strange blue light was revealed on the back of the squire's neck.
"Well I'll be..." Ser Dom mumbled in awe, understanding immediately what the glow meant. Exhaling slowly, Eren reached up and touched the source of the light: his gnosis mark, the evantia. An invisible aura errupted from the squire, leaving him at its center.
"Ready!" he called, falling into a crouch of his own.

Eren's evantia granted him total awareness of an opponent's body, so when Will tensed in anticipation, Eren was able to sense every muscle movement. It was an odd sensation, but one the young squire had learned to properly interpret... though keeping track of more than one target at a time was still beyond his abilities.
"BEGIN!" Farkus roared before Ser Dom could interject, and Will immediately sprung into action. Pushing off the balls of his feet, the freckled squire quickly closed the gap between himself and Eren, trying to catch him off guard with a crushing right hook. Instead of going on the defensive, Eren stepped boldly forward into Will's guard, and his own fist shot out like a serpent. It was risky, but Eren's evantia left him confident he'd be able to strike first. The gambit paid off, and Will had the air forced from his lungs when Eren's blow slammed firmly into his stomach, his own attack falling limp before it could connect.
Too slow, Eren thought objectively as he watched his opponent crumple to his knees.
"Watch yourself Will! You've got to feint!" Ser Dom called out to his squire, offering what little help he could given the circumstances. Not surprisingly, it seemed the large knight hadn't taught his squire the particulars of fighting an evantia. With a groan, Will pushed himself back to his feet, his face an odd mixture of fear and determination. Eren knew that a skilled enough fighter could feint an evantia and use their awareness against them, something Farkus had done so on several occasions simply to illustrate the weakness.
Last edited by Eren Turna on November 21st, 2015, 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Eren Turna
Organic Improvisation

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Movin' To Mithryn

Postby Eren Turna on March 1st, 2015, 9:53 am

Seemingly unbothered by the blow to his stomach, Will resumed his attack, and the squire's sheer ferocity forced Eren onto the defensive.
Clever, Eren thought, throwing himself to the ground in a rough tumble to avoid one of many punches. Instead of experimenting with feints, Will simply tried to physically overwhelm the evantia. It was a good plan, really, but Eren wasn't a one-trick-pony either. Like a scythe, his leg swept out in a wide arc, tripping Will and sending him falling flat on his back. Before the other squire could react, Eren was upon him, pinning the boy's shoulders beneath his knees. Eren's fist slammed into the ground next to Will's head.
"I win," Eren said seriously, waiting for confirmation that the other squire understood their fight was over. Their gaze held for along moment, but the fire in Will's eyes quickly died down to a simmer, and he nodded.
"You cans be getting off o' me now," he said dryly, and Eren was happy to oblige.
"That was-" Eren tried to say, but Will was quick to cut him off.
"Save it," he said, clearly trying not to sound too bitter. "You won, I lost. This time." There seemed to be a promise in the words, and Eren smiled.
"Till next time," he said cheerfully, and the two squires shook hands.
"Come Will, we're leaving. It seems I've been going too easy on you," Ser Dom called to his squire. He sounded annoyed. From the stoic look on his patron's face, Eren guessed Farkus was responsible, and the squire couldn't help but wonder what was said.
"Yes, Ser Dom," Will said softly, already gathering his gear. Eren couldn't help but wonder what he'd just condemned the other squire to, and decided it would be best not to dwell on it. Farkus remained silent, apparently waiting for Ser Dom and his squire to leave.
"Don't get cocky Ser Farkus," Ser Dom snapped at Eren's patron, finding further insult in the other man's silence. "I'll make sure Will wins next time." With that, both Will and his patron climbed back into the saddle. They took off towards Syliras at a steady canter, gone just as quickly as they'd arrived.
"See," Farkus said. "What did I tell you? Tedious." Eren shrugged, a gesture made awkward considering he was partway through putting his shirt back on.
"I don't suppose you have any intention of telling me the story behind you and Ser Dom?" he asked, only half-serious.
"I do not," Farkus replied, and Eren chuckled. He'd find out eventually, he figured.

The pair came to an unspoken agreement that it was time to move on, and within chimes they were back in the saddle. Farkus hadn't commented on Eren's performance in the spar, which meant that he hadn't done anything wrong, at least. The squire didn't dwell on it, he was too tired to think critically. Using the evantia aura was incredibly draining. After deactivating it, Eren was buffeted by a wave of fatigue that left him slumped in the saddle. He'd feel better in a bell or so, he knew, but until then he'd have to focus on keeping his balance, putting extra effort into shifting his weight with the horse's movements.
"So, how close are we to the outpost?" Eren asked hopefully, figuring that they'd have to be close.
"We're about halfway there," Farkus said bluntly, once again resuming his cheerful persona.
"Of course," Eren said dryly, stifling a yawn.
ImageImage
Eren Turna
Organic Improvisation

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Movin' To Mithryn

Postby Eren Turna on March 1st, 2015, 9:54 am

The rest of their journey held little incident, and as the day drew on, an increasing number of people passed them on the road. There were lone riders aplenty, one of which had an oddly stylised beard and a lute strapped to his back. Bands of knights escorted wagons laden with supplies from Mithryn to the citadel, keeping them safe from wolves, or worse. As they entered the vast farmland that surrounded the outpost, field workers would occasionally offer their greeting as well, though most were too engrossed in their work to notice the passage of two riders. Some would wave, others would nod, and a few even saluted. There was something strange about the citizens living outside of the citadel, be they farmer or otherwise. It wasn't bad, just... different, and Eren couldn't quite figure out what it was.

It was late afternoon before they reached the outpost proper, and Eren was left alone at the gates while his patron had a few hurried words with the knights on guard duty.
"You've done well today," he whispered to his mare, who snorted at the sound of his voice. He considered fishing another apple from his pack for the horse, but decided against it, knowing that she'd get her fill of oats soon enough. All the same, he kicked his feet free from the stirrups and hopped from the saddle, wincing slightly as his feet hit the ground. While trying to massage the stiffness from his muscles, Farkus returned.
"Leave the horses, and your belongings. Don't worry, they'll be cared for," the older knight said sternly to his squire. Both Eren and his patron were quickly escorted by two other knights through the outpost, both wearing full plate and armed to the teeth. Eren paid them little mind though, his attention completely occupied by the Mithryn Outpost. It was so bizarre! Small buildings bordered a collection of small roads that wound their way through the walled off area.
There's so much open space... Eren thought dumbly. He'd expected the outpost to simply be a smaller version of Syliras, but he'd clearly been very wrong in that assumption. It was disconcerting how unfamiliar the place felt. Towards the center of the outpost rose a large, stone structure that actually did resemble a miniature citadel, and the sight of it returned some level of comfort to the squire.
"The garrison," Farkus said, having caught Eren staring at the building. It was their destination, it seemed, and their escort left them near one of the building's many entrances. Now on their own, Farkus led Eren through a series of large, wooden doors and stone corridors that reminded the squire of home. After a handful of chimes, Farkus raised signalled to stop, and they were standing before a door that looked no different from the rest.
"Beyond this door is the office of Stewart Knight Tristan Whitevine," Farkus stated plainly. "It goes without saying that you'll want to be on your best behaviour." Eren gave his patron a firm nod.
"I understand," he replied, curious to meet the man in charge of such an odd place. Without further delay Farkus raised his hand and gave the door three, solid knocks.
"Enter," a powerful voice called after a brief delay, and the pair were quick to oblige.
ImageImage
Eren Turna
Organic Improvisation

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Movin' To Mithryn

Postby Eren Turna on March 1st, 2015, 9:54 am

Warmth washed over Eren as he stepped into the large office, and his eyes searched for its source out of reflex. A large hearth sat affixed to one of the many stone walls that comprised the chamber, and a healthy fire crackled within. The orange flame kept the growing cold at bay, and bathed the room in a relaxing glow. Seated behind an impressive desk of ancient wood was Ser Tristan Whitevine, and the gentle looking, elderly man was not at all what Eren expected.
"Please, take a seat," he said, keeping his head turned down towards a stack of scattered paperwork. A quill danced with frenzied motion in the steward knight's hand as he worked, and both Eren and Farkus were made to wait. Despite the offer, neither opted to sit down.

After several chimes, Ser Tristan signed the document with a flourish before using his ring and a dollop of candle wax to affix it with the Mithryn Outpost's seal.
"I apologise for the delay," he said, finally looking up at his two visitors. As Eren gazed into the steward knight's eyes, he thought he caught them shimmering from gold, to green, then back again.
A Vantha? Eren's dealings with the race of northeners had been scarce, but stories of their ever-shifting eye colour were well known.
"No apologies are needed, Ser," Farkus replied, both his tone and posture showing the steward knight the utmost level of respect. Given his patron's usual demeanour, Eren found the entire thing a little unsettling.
"Let us proceed with the formalities then," Ser Tristan continued, flashing Eren a warm smile. "Farkus has already spoken to me regarding your transfer here, squire. However, before I give my official permission, I would speak with you." There was a pause in the conversation, and Farkus coughed loudly into his hand. With a start, Eren realised he was expected to respond.
"As you wish, Ser Tristan," Eren replied seriously, trying to emulate his patron's tone. The only other steward knight he'd ever conversed with was his father, and their talks weren't always exactly civil.
"Don't fret young squire, I'll be brief," the steward knight shot a quick glance towards the paperwork looming on his desk, and Eren suspected the older man didn't sleep much. "I have but one question: Of Sylir's tenants, which do you think is the most important?" It was an odd question, and Eren suspected that there wasn't necessarily a wrong answer. Instead, it was how Eren answered that would be significant. If he answered to quickly, he might be considered rash. Alternatively, it might speak of confidence. There were numerous ways to interpret any act or answer he gave, so Eren decided to just say what felt right.
"Civilisation," the young squire replied, and Ser Tristan simply nodded in response.
"I see," he said, giving no indication as to his thoughts regarding the squire's decision. "Ser Farkus, you may escort your squire to the dorm. Afterwards, return here, there are... certain matters we still need to discuss." From what Eren could tell, his answer had been acceptable, at least. He wanted to ask what 'matters' the steward knight spoke of, but forced himself to remain silent.

"Why did you say civilisation?" Farkus asked his squire. The pair had since left the steward's office and were making their way towards the squire dormitories. Since they weren't exiting the garrison itself, Eren guessed they were located within.
"Without civilisation, we'd be all on our own," he eventually replied, struggling to find the words he was looking for. "Then, what'd be the point?" It wasn't much of an answer, he knew, but it was the best explanation he could manage. Farkus said nothing else, and the rest of their short trip passed in relative silence.
ImageImage
Eren Turna
Organic Improvisation

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Movin' To Mithryn

Postby Eren Turna on March 1st, 2015, 9:55 am

Unlike in Syliras, the dormitories seemed to be largely communal. Where in the citadel squires would be split into groups of three or four, the room Eren was left in contained well over a dozen beds.
"Just pick a plain one," was all his patron had said before leaving him to his own devices, and it quickly became apparent what that meant. Apart from the beds Eren guessed were unclaimed, there were no two alike. Some had been crudely painted, while others were adorned with various trophies. Eren had three to choose from, and they were all situated close to the door, and far away from the room's fire place.
Must get cold in here, he realised, eventually settling for the one closest to him. The bedding was simple, but Eren fell into it gratefully. The other squires were likely dining in the mess, but Eren was too tired to eat. A part of him considered waiting for them, but the call of sleep was too strong to resist. There'd be time for introductions in the morning.

4th Day of Spring, 515 AV

As it turned out, there was decidedly not enough time in the morning, and Eren awoke to a discord of clattering armour and hurried calls. Squires of all description were preparing themselves for the day ahead, and only a handful gave the newcomer a polite wave or nod. Mornings were not a time for socialising, it seemed. Not knowing exactly what else to do, Eren got ready himself. This didn't take particularly long since he'd slept fully clothed, but given the circumstances he took particular care to look presentable. One by one the other squires started to leave, and Eren followed suit. He had instructions to meet Farkus just outside the garrison, and only lost his way once trying to navigate the unfamiliar building.

Farkus was already waiting when Eren reached their meeting spot. It was still mostly dark outside, but wisps of grey were starting to appear in the sky. Eren suspected he'd have trouble getting used to spending so much time beneath the open air.
At least the stars are pretty, he thought idly.
"Any particular reason you took your sweet time getting here?" Farkus asked sternly, an eyebrow raised in scrutiny. Eren had the sense to appear appropriately embarrassed.
"I may have gotten lost," the squire replied meekly. Farkus was silent a few moments before chuckling at the information.
"Fair enough," he said. The older knight had a knack for knowing when Eren was telling the truth, so he didn't push the issue. "Come with me," he continued. "There's someone you need to meet." That piqued Eren's interest, and he was quick to obey.
ImageImage
Eren Turna
Organic Improvisation

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Movin' To Mithryn

Postby Eren Turna on March 1st, 2015, 9:55 am

"What is that?" Eren asked, staring at the small bundle of jet black fur curled up in Farkus' arms. A pair of bright, red eyes stared back at him from within its depths.
"This," Farkus said, "is your assignment."
"My... what?" The fur-ball yawned, revealing rows of small, white teeth. Farkus had led Eren to where the order kept their hunting dogs, and a homely man with kind eyes handed the little black animal to the older knight upon their arrival. He didn't linger, of course; there was always work to be done. The dogs sang with the morning, eagerly awaiting their breakfast, and the thought of food set Eren's own stomach rumbling. He wondered if the mess at the outpost was anything like it was in Syliras, but a powerful whiff of dog-smell put his hunger on temporary hold.
"He's a Bozderon Shadow Dog," Farkus continued. "They're a peculiar breed. At first I'd considered an Inganu, but someone convinced me this would be more... appropriate." There was an odd cadence to his voice, but Eren ignored it.
"I can see it's a dog," the squire protested. "But what do you mean he's my assignment?"
"Oh, that," Farkus replied, suddenly understanding. "This dog is yours now. It's your responsibility to care for him. Keep him alive, well trained, and out of trouble." Eren was dumbstruck.
"What's the point in that?" he asked, not at all pleased about the burden that was being thrust upon him.
"If you can't look after a dog, what makes you think you can look after people?" Farkus asked, and the logic of his words cut off the retort Eren had already prepared.
Well... can't argue with that, he thought, and Farkus motioned to pass him the pup. Mimicking his patron, Eren cradled the animal in his arms. It was warm, and its fur was soft, like silk. He hadn't ever worked with dogs before, but how hard could it really be?
"So he's just being given to me?" Eren asked, and Farkus gave him a frank look.
"Of course not Eren," he said. "Don't worry though, I took the liberty of taking the payment from your savings, so everything is taken care of." The meaning of the words took a while to sink in.
"Wait. Wh-"
"So, what are you going to name him?" Farkus asked, clearly trying to change the subject. Eren sighed, deciding no good would come from arguing the matter. He took a moment to consider the question.
"How about Sh-"
"If you say Shadow, boy, you'll get a slap around the ears," Farkus quickly interrupted, and Eren fell silent; he'd been going to suggest exactly that. At that moment the pup decided it didn't want to be held any more, and started squirming in Eren's arms.
"Just put him down, boy," Farkus told the flustered squire. "He won't go far." Eren did as he was told, and the little dog stumbled as it tried to gain its footing.
"How about Slip?" Eren suggested, and Farkus shrugged.
"Anything is better than Shadow," he said. "In any case, if I want to make it to Syliras by nightfall I should get ready to depart." It took a moment for Eren to process the statement.
"Wait, you're not staying?" he asked, shocked by the revelation.
"Of course not," the older knight replied. "My duties demand that I return to the citadel." Eren couldn't believe what he was hearing, and his face formed a scowl.
"So training your squire isn't one of those duties?" he snapped. Farkus' face darkened at the words, and with a sinking sensation Eren realised he'd gone too far.
"Are you questioning your patron, boy?" he asked, his tone grim. Eren bowed his head, unable to meet the older man's gaze.
"No, Ser Farkus," he mumbled softly.
"You will further your training mostly on your own, though I will still deliver the occasional lesson, one way or another," Farkus continued, his usual, cheerful attitude completely absent. "I have given Steward Knight Tristan permission to assign you any task he sees fit, and you will obey without question. Am I understood?"
"Yes, Ser Farkus."
"Then I shall take my leave." With that he left, leaving Eren alone with Slip, who was nibbling on a blade of grass. Eren regretted parting ways with his patron on such sour terms, and decided that he'd have to make it up to him.
"I'll just have to impress him with my assignment, right Slip?" he asked the pup, who looked up at him with a tilted head. From what the squire had seen, dog owners could tell their animals to perform simple tasks with select phrases.
"Slip. Sit," he said, deciding to use the command he'd heard the most frequently. In response, Slip yapped twice, raised his bottom into the air, and wagged his tail in a steady rhythm. Eren sighed.
"I guess we'll work on that."

LEDGERBozderon Shadow Dog, -40 GM
ImageImage
Eren Turna
Organic Improvisation

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Movin' To Mithryn

Postby Sayana on March 21st, 2015, 11:39 pm

Eren

Skills:
Skill EXP
Riding: Horse +4
Socialization +4
Interrogation +1
Observation +5
Animal Husbandry +2
Rhetoric +3
Unarmed Combat +2
Tactics +2

Lores:
  • Moving to Mithryn Outpost
  • Tactics: Using Evantia to slip past opponent's guard
  • Tactics: Tripping opponent
  • Ser Dom and his Squire Will
  • Ser Tristan Whitevine: Stewart Knight, head of Mithyrn Outpost
  • Slip: Bozderon Shadow Dog, puppy
  • Living away from one's Patron

Shield Points:
Shield Points Earned Reason
+1 Patron
+1 Training

Total: +2 Shield Points

Comments :
Great thread. It was interesting to see Eren’s shock and disbelief about moving to the Mithryn Outpost and also the fact that his patron would not be staying. I also liked Eren’s answer of “Civilization” as the most important tenant.

I see that you’ve got your inventory and ledger updated to account for Slip. So that’s great that you’re keeping up with that.

Don't forget to edit/delete your grade request in the grade request thread. However, make sure to keep the link so that the DS can review graded threads with ease.

If you have any questions or concerns about your grade please feel free to send me a message.

Enjoy.
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Words: 1543550
Joined roleplay: September 22nd, 2014, 12:38 am
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Syliras Seasonal Challenge (1) Alvadas Seasonal Challenge (1)