[Training Grounds] Shoot to the finish[Alexander]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Postby Kreig Messer on March 4th, 2015, 8:02 am

Spring 14th 10th Bell, 10th Chime.

The 14th Day, also the 4th day since he’d been back to Syliras. He was back on the training fields with an archery target in his sites at a 20 foot distance. It was an easy target to be sure and his Patron admitted so to him as she watched Kreig lower himself to set the string of his crossbow back over nutt, latching it into place. “ So shouldn’t I be practice shooting at a farther distance, Sera? I mean, sure my aim still could use some work but I’m pretty accurate at this distance” His patron paused for a moment of brief thought, then nodded her head in agreement as she stood from the side.

Be that as it may, Kreig. It never hurts to practice the basics. They are the foundations after all, even for something like the crossbow.” Kreig conceded to her point as he stayed silent and lifted the bow to his shoulders and took a shooting stance after placing the bolt over the grooves of weapon; tucked gently in front of the nutt. “ There is also another reason, truth be told. But I will tell you after you take your shot

Another reason? I wonder what could that be…’ Kreig grunted in acknowledgment, laying that thought to rest for a moment as he aimed down the sight of his weapon; taking in the distance of the target which comprised of merely a set of four rings gathering around a single red circle. The two rings closest to the circle were called the inner rings, with the second ring circling around the first of course. Conversely, the two further were called the outer rings. Thus his target was simple; all he had to make sure was the target and preferably dead center.

He took a breath, steadying his arms to as still as he possibly could at his level as he aimed for the red circle. He pulled the trigger and with a twang the bolt was catapulted into the air at a harrowing speed before lodging into the second inner ring at its top right corner, not even close to the borders of the first inner ring. Kreig winced as he lowered his crossbow “ Could’ve done better….

And you shall do better…” Said his patron as he approached him with an encouraging smile and patted him on the shoulder “ Just need to try better. But that can wait for a few ticks…. The other reason I have you training at this distance is simple; Another Patron wishes for you to teach his squire in the proper usage of the crossbow

Kreig’s brow raised in shock and confusion at that “ Teach another squire….? But Sera, I’m still learning myself!

True, but you’ve come a long way since you began. You’re more than capable of teaching him.

Wel…uh… Why me specifically?! Surely there are more experience members capable of teaching the Patron’s squire instead of me.” Natasha nodded, conceding that point, but there was a mischievous glint in her otherwise professional demeanor that said something very different.

Because I volunteered you” Kreig’s jaw dropped at that, she volunteered him…… that didn’t make him feel better really, although to be volunteered meant much about her confidence in his shooting skills “ One day you might become a patron yourself, Kreig. So learning how to teach is an essential skill you might need. I believe you’d be suited for such a task

Kreig slumped in defeat, that confidence in him was like a mother telling her son the same thing “Well…when are we meeting this squire?

Right about….now
x
Last edited by Kreig Messer on April 10th, 2015, 8:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Feeel thy wrath!!!!

"You gents best be careful, I'm feelin' mighty rabid right now... and your the only ones around to bite"
Kreig Messer
The guy in crazy town.

Words: 883597
Joined roleplay: January 22nd, 2012, 7:55 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

[Training Grounds] Shoot to the finish[Alexander Ross]

Postby Alexander Ross on March 5th, 2015, 8:16 pm

Alexander Ross

"So tell me again, why can't you teach me yourself?" Alex asked his parton, holding carefully onto his borrowed crossbow as they entered the training grounds. He was nervous about this, learning how to use a long-ranged weapon, yet he also couldn't help but feel a bit excited about it. In order for him to travel like he has always wanted, some training in long ranged weapons could prove very useful.

"Because I thought it would be better to train with someone closer to your age. You need friends, lad. And someone other than that Kelvic of yours... No offense." Ranqor replied, casting the boy a side glance. More than once, Alex had been put in a bad mood due to the snide remarks of others about his new companion. Luckily, he was too focused on the events ahead to get angery.

"None taken." Alex replied with a sigh. "But... can you really blame me? I've always wanted a Kelvic and, well... Amelie's the best friend I've ever had." He said with a grin and a shrug, causing the armor that rested upon his thin, wiry build to clink a bit. It had been nearly fifteen days since he and Amelie bonded, and since then Alex had been getting much better with his depression.

As they approached, Alex reguarded the other squire and his patron with hey nod and a friendly grin. "Hello, are you the one who's supposed to be teaching me? I'm Alexander Ross. If you want, you can just call me 'Alex' or 'Ross' if you'd like." He said, offering a handshake to the squire. What the Hai is wrong with me? A few weeks ago, I could barely speak to anyone without getting so nervous, now it's like I'm actually eager to meet new people... He thought in the privacy of his own mind.
"I've never failed anyone, because there isn't anyone in my life who I can make proud."
Alexander Ross
Tell me, how does the end of my blade taste?

Words: 109201
Joined roleplay: November 5th, 2014, 7:06 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

[Training Grounds] Shoot to the finish[Alexander, Amelie]

Postby Terrae on March 8th, 2015, 12:15 am

Amelie

Amelie watched Alexander from her seat on the rock. He looked good teaching everyone else and had really come a long way from their first meeting.

She wanted to train in long ranged weapons. It would be good for her when she decides to leave Syliras and go out into the forest and the world, exploring new places.

She watched Alexander talking to his supposed teacher. Being called "that Kelvic" offended her but she didn't let it show. First impressions were important. Her first impression was that she hardly ever spoke at all and Alexander did most of the talking.

Hearing him say that she was Alexander's best friend he ever had was very nice. She thought the same as him and wouldn't think anyone else could live up to how good he was. Alexander's depression ails seemed to have have reduced if it had not gone completely. She liked to think she helped and hoped she actually jad

Watching him talk confidently and shake hands with the strangers was a confirmed milestone of Alexander's. 15 days ago he had trouble speaking to her without stammering but now he was talking and shaking hands and being very confident.

Amelie got down off the rock and walked over to Alexander."Hi. Your doing well... Talking to strangers and all."
The Free Spirit follows the path of the lone wolf
Terrae
Player

Words: 17305
Joined roleplay: March 2nd, 2015, 12:39 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet

[Training Grounds] Shoot to the finish[Alexander, Amelie]

Postby Kreig Messer on March 19th, 2015, 4:44 am

Kreig looked at the squire whilst his patron busied herself by discussing something with the boy’s patron. The youth appeared to be thin, if a bit scrappy. Short brown hair and a turquoise colored eyes. He seemed to be enthusiastic about learning which really was the only thing Kreig could hope for, better a willing student his Patron told him and the lad here seemed quite willing. The crossbow held appeared to be quite used though Kreig imagined that it may have come from the armory rather than the perhaps the boys own diligent practice; perhaps the only things ‘fresh’ about it could be its string and internal mechanisms although he wasn’t close to find out for sure.

The lad’s patron looked to be a decent sort as Kreig gave the man an aside glance , although Kreig noted he didn’t seem to look like a warrior, though he wouldn’t be a knight if he didn’t have any skills as such so Kreig didn’t dwell on it much. In response to Alex’s introduction, he took the hand given and gave gently shook, a small smile on his own face, if albeit a nervous one “ It’s a pleasure to meet you, Ross. Kreig Messer’s the name, call me by either one if you’d like” After that, Kreig gently hefted up his crossbow “ I hope you’re ready to learn what I can give, can’t say it’s much but I’m sure you’ll find it useful” Kreig motioned the lad to stand by him as he pointed to the target over there “ As you can see, we’ll be doin’ some shooting with our crossbows at that target right there” He then suddenly turned to look at Ross, pointing at the crossbow he held “ But before that, I need to see how much you know, savvy? So I’ll just start ask you a simple question or two and we’ll see how things go from there

Kreig declared, then waited for an acknowledgment from Ross before continuing. It wasn’t quite important as he made it sound, but for Kreig it did help transitioning into the steps easier. Plus, it helped understand the weapon more and what to do if it ever broke, though that’s more for the mechanically inclined which Kreig wasn’t. Another reason he silently supposed was that it brought a person closer to the weapon, a form of synergy that made using the thing much easier to use if not easier to master.

So, Ross, can you name each part of the Crossbow you hold and , if you can, each of their functions?
x
Feeel thy wrath!!!!

"You gents best be careful, I'm feelin' mighty rabid right now... and your the only ones around to bite"
Kreig Messer
The guy in crazy town.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal

Postby Alexander Ross on March 20th, 2015, 1:11 am

Alexander Ross

“ So, Ross, can you name each part of the Crossbow you hold and, if you can, each of their functions?”

Up until that very moment, Alex had been almost ecstatic to be able to try his hand on long-distance combat. He had asked Ranqor quite a few times before to teach him how to use a crossbow, but the older patron usually put it off for another time... which would be put off once again, and so on. Ross couldn't exactly blame him, considering how busy he could be at times, but even so, he would think that The knight would at least set aside a little bit of time to teach him.

When Kreig asked him to name each part of the crossbow along with each function, Alex was more than a little dumbfounded. Considering that he's only even seen a crossbow only twice in his lifetime, it would be pretty obvious that he would have absolutely no idea how to use one, much less name each part. Well, it seems like a good time to improvise...

"Well... this here is the trigger..." He said, going for the most obvious. "It... well... it makes the crossbow shoot..." Oh, yeah. Nailed it... He thought sarcastically in his mind. He was a horrible liar when it came to things like this, especially if he was asked to provide some kind of proof that what he said was true. He wondered if Kreig had been expecting someone with a little more... experience. Well... I hope he's prepared to be disappointed...

"Um... Sorry, that's pretty much all I know." He said bluntly with a shrug. "To be completely honest, I have absolutely no idea how crossbows work. I've rarely been able to even see one in action."
"I've never failed anyone, because there isn't anyone in my life who I can make proud."
Alexander Ross

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Kreig Messer on March 23rd, 2015, 11:00 am

Kreig smiled gently at the lad, showing no disappointment “ Heh, don’t worry Ross. That’s why we’re here today” Kreig said as he nudged the lad to look at his personal crossbow, particularly at the stock first and the parts around it, first beginning with the trigger “ Like you said, the trigger is what lets the bow shoot. A simple push to this lever releases the part that holds the nutt” He pointed to the round, circular part at the front of the stock and thus behind the groove at the foregrip. He rolled it back and then a click could be heard, also revealing the wedge that would keep the string held when it was pulled back. He pressed the lever which released the nutt, then rolled the nutt to demonstrate “ Now as you heard me call it, this is the nutt. It rolls back as far as the notch you see. Now its job is to keep the bow string in place, otherwise you’d be trying to keep something that take’s quite a bit of effort to pull in place, which is much harder prospect. Or, if you want a more visual example, trying to keep still a giant armored Akalak from charging into his enemy.” He let out a chuckle at that image, no doubt thinking it amusing.

He then pointed to a piece of metal that jutted at the bulge in the center of the stock “ This here is the iron sight, basically speaking, it’s what you look behind when you point it at the enemy. It make’s aiming a bit easier.” He then ran his hand against the stock, like a master giving his pet a soothing touch “ All of them are connected here to the stock, without it you only have half a crossbow and without it, useless as me on an infirmary bed” He shuddered at that, as comfy as those beds were he could stand staying in them for too long a time.

He looked at Ross, looking into his eyes and wondering if he got all that “ If you need me to explain again on any part, don’t hesitate. We’ve got all the time in the world currently, or as much as our patrons allow it” Kreig heard a cough behind him and looked to see the raised brow of his patron, Kreig grinned sheepishly before looking back at the younger squire, pointing his attention back to the stock “ Now, the stock is also important for aiming. You rest the small square butt against the should, from there you look down the sight with your lead eye and watch the distance with your eye” He demonstrated by lifting the weapon up, almost resting against his body, and aiming at the target, keeping his legs space and tilting his head as his right eye looked behind the metal bit that represented the sight. The fingers of his right hand rested against the trigger firmly, his palm and thumb around the back of the stock to keep it proper and study. His right hand held firm at the bottom of the foregrip, or the front of the stock beneath the bow and the groove, he swung his head to look at Ross and motioned for him to move to the other side to get a good look.

After that, he dropped the stance and held up the crossbow before him again “ ‘Course, despite how good it makes you look. The crossbow is nothing without the bow” He pointed at the lean looking appendage, resting his hand against it “ As you can see, the bow looks smaller than even a regular one. Which means the limbs…er, the appendages at both side of the bow, ar pulled back and strung tightly with the bow string.” He ran his hand across the bow, its limbs and string “ Try tugging at the string, as you can see….its not something you can tug like something on a lute so readying it can be a bit of pain, but it does have the advantage of being more powerful per shot than a regular. Though….again, slower than an archer with a regular bow.” At this moment he wished he a cup of water to drink, but he soldiered on, the explaining bit was almost done and so he pointed at the groove running his fingers across it till it met with the nutt “Now, here is where you place a bolt after readying the bow, which I’ll demonstrate in a bit. Now the bolt….” He reached for his quiver and pulled out a large looking projectile, much smaller than an arrow yet looking like an oversized dart, he dropped it into Alex’s hand, letting him feel its surprising weight “ Another thing you can’t do without, its hevy so when it hits you can definitely feel it. It has a pointy sharp head, rigid shaft and fletching at the end for flight.

There, he explained all the parts, he felt relief at this and it showed on his face. While Kreig could certainly be a talker at times, explaining such technical bits and pieces was a shore on the tongue and was glad to be done with it at the moment. He smiled cheerfully at Ross and asked “ So need I explain more or should I get on teaching you how to shoot?

x
Last edited by Kreig Messer on April 10th, 2015, 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feeel thy wrath!!!!

Kreig Messer
The guy in crazy town.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal

Postby Alexander Ross on April 3rd, 2015, 1:00 am

Alexander Ross

Alexander sighed with relief when Kreig smiled at him, rather than showing the usual, painful look of disappointment. Okay, that's a relief. He thought to himself. Already, Kreig had gained a lot of respect from him. It usually was not often that someone refused to show some display of disappointment whenever his ignorance showed.

He nodded and listened as best as he could while Kreig explained all of the basic parts of the crossbow, taking into mind each part and it's functions. Of course, he knew for a fact that he would forget something, he always did. Although, he had an idea that if he needed anything repeated, then Kreig would be patient with him. He would appreciate it, yes, but it seemed a bit strange, considering that he had always been so used to getting yelled at.

"So need I explain more or should I get on teaching you how to shoot?”

Alex thought for a moment, wondering if there was anything else he wanted to be explained, but he thought of none. Then again, he knew absolutely nothing about crossbows, save for what he had just been told. Mainly, he really did not know what to ask, but he figured that if there was anything else he needed explained, then he could always ask later. Ranqor was always there, too, and he could be a reliable source of information on the subject.

"Um... I don't believe so..." The boy said, still thinking. "Should we move on?"
Alexander Ross

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Kreig Messer on April 10th, 2015, 8:43 pm

Kreig simply nodded and gave the lad a grin, before planting the stirrup of the crossbow to the ground “ Not really, unless I forget we’ll go over them quick in the end, for now just watch and do as I do” With that, he planted his foot inside the stirrup, keeping it standing firmed and lowering himself to reach for the string with both hands. He kept the distance even between hands as to keep the string balanced once pulled back, with a practiced but noticeably difficult heave he pulled back the string over the nut, rolling it back and nocking the string into place. He lifted the bow back up, with his free hand he reach for a bolt from his quiver and placed it atop of the grooves. He looked at Alex, wondering if he had done the same and how much would it take him to perform this most tedious of tasks.

That was always the problem with a crossbow, its draw weight, but he’d rambled enough on that already so he pushed whatever mental tangent in his mind and simply waited for Alex. Once that was done, he took aim and waited for Alex to emulate him, leaving his feet standing apart in a small distance and tilting his head to look behind the sight. Before firing, he lingered a bit longer for Alex to observe what he can, to take whatever mental note of whatever Kreig was doing before finally pressing the trigger and with a thwack watching as the bolt was launched into the air and with a thud embed itself into one of outer rings of the target.

He winced, wishing his aim had been better but he could fix that later. For now he kept his gaze on Alex and waited for him to do his deed..

x
Feeel thy wrath!!!!

Kreig Messer
The guy in crazy town.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal

Postby Nivel on September 14th, 2015, 12:47 am

Kreig Messer :
XP Award:
  • Persuasion 1
  • Weapon: Light Crossbow 2
  • Interrogation 2
  • Rhetoric 2
  • Socialization 1
  • Etiquette 1
  • Observation 2
  • Teaching 2
Lore:
  • Teaching: get to know your students strength before hand.
  • Teaching: explaining the various parts of a crossbow and how they work.
  • Weapon light crossbow: the draw weight can be a problem
  • Alexander Ross: The student of the crossbow.
Notes: It sucks that you had to get this graded again :( you explained the parts of a crossbow very well. One thing I would like to say is that the blue font was too harsh for my eyes, If you could change that to a more subdued colour that would be wonderful :)
Alexander Ross :
XP Award:
  • Interrogation 1
  • Persuasion 1
  • Observation 1
  • Socialization 2
  • Subterfuge 1
  • Weapon: Light Crossbow 1
Lore:
  • Weapon: Light Crossbow: Parts of a light crossbow and how they function
  • Kreig Messer: The light crossbow teacher.
Notes:There wasn’t too much to work with but I hope I gave you a decent amount of XP. I hope you continue to write on miz :)

Terrae :
XP Award:
  • Example 1
  • Example 2
Lore:
  • Example 1
  • Example 2
Notes: I’ll fill this out when your character sheet is up to date.

Additional Comments: If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to message me.

Nivel
The Pint-Sized Mage

Words: 461307
Joined roleplay: March 24th, 2014, 7:06 pm
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Donor (1)