Open The human condition, and Alcohol (The Malt House)

What is it about alcohol that reveals the true nature of man.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A city floating in the center of a lake, Ravok is a place of dark beauty, romance and culture. Behind it all though is the presence of Rhysol, God of Evil and Betrayal. The city is controlled by The Black Sun, a religious organization devoted to Rhysol. [Lore]

The human condition, and Alcohol (The Malt House)

Postby Gile Askara on March 12th, 2015, 12:42 am

Gile Ollpheist

2nd of Spring, Evening

Any night in which there is drinking, there is likely conflict, not that drinking is the reason for conflict merely that it encourages it, though to be fair, alcohol encourages many forms of behavior, which begs the question, is alcohol the real source of the problem? It's entirely likely that alcohol is not in fact the primary source of the behavior, but that the lucidity that comes with being Sober merely inhibits the behaviors that are already there?

Thus do these thought flow through the head of Gile who takes his place in a seat to the far back of tavern from a place that he can see the bar, but will likely not be disturbed by anyone who did not intend to disturb him, which was not particularly a bother for Gile as he found most people to be in some way dull or uninteresting, lacking the spark that made the ordinary into the great and as thus Gile had little interest in people who did not in some way strive to be better, Or at least different. Those that lacked this "spark" were generally not worth the time it took to acknowledge unless Gile had some use for them, after all, those who were not willing to be their own, were left with the purpose to belong to someone else, that was the nature of Giles world to any extent, Use, be used, or strive to be unusable. these were your choices, nothing more, nothing less.

Waving the bartender over, a older gentleman by the name of Grayson, a good natured fellow though he had an edge to him when it was necessary. Gile was an infrequent patron of the tavern but he had visited often enough that he knew the bartender by ame and the same was likewise, I'd like a gallon of ale brought over to my table if you don't mind". to which Grayson's reply was his characteristic response of, "I don't mind as long as yo don't mind paying". to which Giles normal response was to oblige the fellow but tonight Gile was feeling particularly lucky, taking the flow of djed within himself and letting a little flow out with his next few words. "Well you know I have never once minded paying, in fact considering the amount of coin you've had off me, don't you think I have earned myself a discount"? to which the mans response was to blink a few times, and grin, Are you kiddin me? a lightweight like you couldn't drink enough in a year to deserve a discount" he said with a chuckle before patting Gile on the shoulder and taking the two silver coin grudgingly proffered By Gile before heading off to get Gile his gallon of ail.

This left Gile to smile ruefully to himself, it wasn't all that surprising he had failed, He hadn't tried all that hard, and trying to get a penny pincher like that to give him a discount had been a far shot to begin with. Well can't say I never tried Gile though to himself until the pitcher thudding against the table brought him back to his senses. Looking at the pitcher Gile seriously doubted that he could indeed finish the pitcher alone, though perhaps this night would reward him an interesting person to drink with, or at least something that would keep his interest long enough for him to not have to consider the folly buying such a large pitcher of ale.
Gile Askara
Minor manipulator

Words: 68493
Joined roleplay: January 12th, 2015, 11:58 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Xii on March 14th, 2015, 10:38 pm

The attitude of the city was nothing like Xii had expected, and that was irritating beyond all belief. She didn't know what she had thought it would be like... but the Sylirans had made it seem like Ravokians would be just awful ~though awful in the way that intrigued Xii, chaotic and destructive, like Rhysol: people who do what they want when they want it without hesitation.

But most of the citizens here just seemed like normal people. She had experienced a heightened amount of aggression from some of them since the moment she set foot in the floating city, which she hadn't yet figured out the reason for, and which was already earning her extreme dislike. But other than that, they seemed just like the people of Syliras. Which was disgusting.

Xii had decided to begin lightly inquiring about Rhysol, the better to figure out how to meet him, but because of the way people seemed to hate her ~almost as much as the Drykas had done~ she had decided that she should probably be cautious about it. She had struggled to think of a place where she might learn some information, besides this Temple that she had heard about in the center of the city. She was going to visit that place later, but in the meantime...

Eventually, walking over bridges ~generally avoiding the strange boats and canals that the city seemed to have instead of regular streets~ and wandering around, she had stumbled upon this building. And from one whiff of scent at the door ~the slight stench of sweat, the watery tang of beer, the warmth of cooking food~ she had realized what this place must be. Immediately, feeling leery of the gathering dark outside and those who might be looking to shadow her in it, she had slipped inside.

It was a largish room with many windows and candles to let in light, stacked with a bar on one end surrounded by a variety of stools and tables and chairs. Xii hovered just inside the doorway, earning a few curious ~then sour~ looks as she scanned the room. She didn't like to walk into places that she didn't know how to leave from. She didn't hold still for long though; there was a big dark-haired man at the bar looking her way, and his face did not look happy. Xii started flitting around the room, eyes searching as if looking for someone, and she was.

In a chime, she found him. There was a guy sitting at one of the tables in the back, alone. He looked youngish, though it was always hard for her to tell how old people older than her were, especially ones who weren't Zith. She didn't think he'd seen her yet, although he might've when she wasn't looking that way. Another glance at the bartender and she decided it didn't matter. She swept over to the far corner where the youngish guy was sitting, and then plopped down in a seat across from him, exuding an aura of boredom.

Should he look her way, he would find dark eyes watching him appraisingly, despite the Pavi she was projecting. Xii looked to be slouched, but beneath the table she was perched on her toes. If he tried anything ~yelled at her, grabbed at her~ she would bow her head and move out. For now she said nothing, simply looked at the guy, then darted a look back at the bartender. He was frowning, but had turned away. Xii smiled, now projecting satisfaction, though her true face didn't twitch a muscle.
Xii is using hypnotism
Xii is "speaking Common"
Xii is "speaking Pavi" and also signing Pavi Note
Signed Pavi can also be represented by a person's total body language; it doesn't have to be an actual hand sign.

Xii is demonstrating her internal emotions. Anything in plain, uncolored italics should be considered completely internal; for example, if it says that Xii is sneering she is only doing so in her mind, and the sneer would likely not show as a physical expression unless otherwise stated. This is a way for me, as her writer, to differentiate between her true feelings and what she outwardly shows the world. Note
If the italics thing feels too confusing to me after I've tried using it in some posts, I'll remove it.
Xii
Drykas-Zith

Words: 143088
Joined roleplay: February 13th, 2015, 7:47 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Gile Askara on March 17th, 2015, 9:14 pm

Gile Ollpheist

Sitting at his table Gile pondered what it was he should do with himself in the spring season, Beyond work that was. As he was pondering this his thoughts were interrupted by the door opening and a smallish girl entering, a small girl of questionable origin at that, though it was none of his business really. though a girl of that age wandering about by herself was risky in any place, and if Gile was right about her Origins being not quite human, then the girl would likely not last to long in a city like this. As Gile was thinking this looking at the wood grain of the table. He heard the tell tail sounds of a chair being pulled out from his table. Being pulled out by none other than the girl he had just been thinking about.

Well Gile? You said you wanted something interesting to happen to you, and this likely counts, though this didn't seem like something that would prove interesting in a good way, more likely a way that may cause him trouble in the long run. Well so be it, though Gile hoped the girl had a valid reason for sitting at his table, or at least an interesting one. Looking to the bartender who was now staring daggers at the girl, not that Gile could blame him strangers almost always meant trouble after all. In an attempt to garner favor for the girl Gile waved the bartender "Oy Grayson, would ya kindly fetch a cup for my Friend here". Emphasizing the word friend with a little Djed added to his voice, after all stubborn old men tended to need a little more encouragement than most. "friend eh, well, if she's a friend a yours, then.." with his mumbled response, Grayson sent over the cup via a lanky server who seemed just as wary of the stranger as Grayson had. Sighing inwardly Gile shook his head hoping he hadn't bitten off more than he could chew.

finally turning towards the girl Gile looked her over once, She was a pretty thing, dark hair and even darker eyes, accompanied by velvety skin to dark to be called tan but not dark enough to be called much else. "so friend, what brings you here on this fine evening?, it's not often I get company. Not that I mind, ya know." gesturing towards the second cup and the pitcher, "oh and have your fill theres more to drink than I need by any means." With that Gile leaned back on his char in a rather relaxed position, Not so much that it was the way he wanted to sit, but if the other patrons of the bar saw he was relaxed with the strager, chances would be that they wouldn't mind her being around either, though e could just make them behave if he had to.
Gile Askara
Minor manipulator

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Xii on March 18th, 2015, 2:44 am

This person was... interesting, at least. She had expected from his expression of surprise ~and something else?~ that he would not tolerate her for long. And as he turned to the bartender, she shifted slightly, body language speaking of preparation or readiness of flight. But then it was her turn for a surprise: the young man called her 'friend', inviting her to stay by asking for another cup. Suspicious now, but more curious than cautious, Xii leaned back in her chair. One of her hands drummed idly on the tabletop, signing, in a way, confidence.

Some underling brought a cup, and Xii gave the thin fellow a sharp smile, snatching it up in fast fingers. The young man in front of her spoke: "so friend, what brings you here on this fine evening?, it's not often I get company. Not that I mind, ya know."

There it was again, that word 'friend', and she narrowed her eyes at it, but kept the smile fixed idly to her face. Quickly, she took in the pitcher of liquid sitting nearby, within reach. A short inhalation, and she could guess at its contents. She had tried that sort of drink before, in Syliras, and had found an odd liking to its taste, despite ~or maybe because of~ the bitterness to it. She had not liked the strange buzzing effects it had had on her mind, but no matter. Now she brazenly reached out a hand and dipped her small cup into the pitcher instead of pouring it. A statement. Taking. She wondered what the young man would do, if he would care. Calmly, she took a sip. But it wouldn't do to drink too much. Not without knowing this person's intentions, whatever they were. Nobody wanted nothing.

To his question, she gave the most simple response she had: "Rhysol." A short pause. "Have you seen him? I would very much like to meet him. Sir." Her voice was polite, almost sweet, yet the last word was tacked on as if an insult. However, the expression on her face suggested innocence. Most people, she had found, were confused by mixed messages. Polite ones tended to ignore such details, as did most average folk; it was only the rowdier sort that took offense.

"Do you have many friends?" the Zithling asked. She indicated the bartender with a tilt of her head, though her eyes stayed fixed to the young man across from her.

oocEdited.
Last edited by Xii on March 20th, 2015, 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xii is using hypnotism
Xii is "speaking Common"
Signed Pavi can also be represented by a person's total body language; it doesn't have to be an actual hand sign.

Xii is demonstrating her internal emotions. Anything in plain, uncolored italics should be considered completely internal; for example, if it says that Xii is sneering she is only doing so in her mind, and the sneer would likely not show as a physical expression unless otherwise stated. This is a way for me, as her writer, to differentiate between her true feelings and what she outwardly shows the world. Note
If the italics thing feels too confusing to me after I've tried using it in some posts, I'll remove it.
Xii
Drykas-Zith

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Alea Davenport on March 20th, 2015, 12:59 am

The door to the Malt House opened briefly, enough to emit a girl in a plain white dress, sopping wet from head to toe. She looked behind her to the world outside before shutting the door and edging her way quickly along the wall, ignoring the occasional stares she was getting in favor of glancing out the window.

Suddenly, she took a sharp intake of breath and dropped to the floor in a crouch. Below the line of sight of most patrons, she began crawling along the wall, then below the tables. She did her best not to bump into any legs; as a slave, she really did not want to have to explain herself to citizens.

She was aiming for a far corner of the tavern, doing her best to hide. Unfortunately, under one of the tables, she brushed someone's leg. She had been watching the feet on the floor to determine where legs were, it being too uncomfortable to reliably turn her head much. But unexpectedly, there was a set of legs whose feet did not quite reach the floor. Alea had not expected a child in a tavern, and she flinched in surprise, hoping the child would not notice the slight touch, but the flinch backfired as it catapulted her straight into the legs of the man behind her!
Alea Davenport
Wielder of Obfuscated and Circuitous Logic

Words: 477755
Joined roleplay: October 28th, 2011, 10:54 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Guest Storyteller (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Gile Askara on March 20th, 2015, 3:34 am

Gile Ollpheist
The girl was, odd. To say the least, though Gile got the feeling the girl was making light of him, not that it bothered him much, nothing wrong woth a little deprication to ones self if it pays off, in the end. watching the girl get herself a drink, in a most peculiar manner illing the cup from the pitcher, not the other way around. Well perhaps that was just how they did things where ever she was from. Gile was curios about the origins of the dark girl despite himself finding most people detestable, perhaps it was her brazen behavior that made her interesting.

In answer to Gile's earlier question the girl informed him that her purpose in being here was to find Rhysol, which almost elicited laughter from Gile before he decided she wasn't joking, before asking him if He had seen him, and Sir? "well to be frank, Seeing Rhysol on the street isn't exactly something that happens on a daily bases ya know. As for If i personally have met the guy, the answer would be no, though I do see his servants on a daily basis. And the names Gile, Save sir for the Stryfe." Saying that Gile finished his first cup of ale, and refilled his glass the proper way. with that he set his eyes back upon the girl. who had decided to ask him if he had many friends. "well girly, that depends on what one considers a friend, For example if by friend you mean someone O fraternize with on a daily basis in a way that wold be called polite, than several, though if you mean, someone trust, and trusts me in return. The i would say precious few, perhaps none, though in a place like this, I fond that to not necessarily be a terrible thing. After all, you can just buy friends for a day if that sorta thing tickles your fancy. Mine it does not." Shifting his posture again, observing the girl who like him expressed much confidence in her bearing Gile let off bit of a smirk considering the spitfire he had landed a conversation with.

"So, miss, Let me return to you a question, are you yourself a Loner, or are you merely strying from your flock on this fine evening?" Gile felt that throwing ones questions back at them was usually a fair way to gain information, and one could rarely cry foul play in such a situation. Gile was truly beginning to like the prospects of the conversation he was having with the girl. Entertaining to say the least.

though as these thoughts were going through his head Gile had the unpleasant experience of having his legs rammed into by a person under his table. not quite sure how he had missed said person though, perhaps the conversation and drink had let him be careless for a moment. Stifling a yell Gile snagged the girl by the shoulder and pulled her to her feet so that she was standing next to him. by Rhysol the girl was soaked, just what was she doing? Fixing her with a raised eyebrow Gile looked her over once. shaking his head giving a rueful smile Gile decided that he wouldn't let his evening be ruined, no matter the situation. "May I, Inquire, as to wy you were under my table, miss?" with that Gile looked to see how his drinks had fared, and luckily none had spilled though the pitcher was now a tad closer to the edge of the table than it had been. "And, why in Rhysols name are you so wet? are you trying to catch cold in the spring?"

Gile Askara
Minor manipulator

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Xii on March 20th, 2015, 9:41 pm

The expression of humor that flickered over the young man's face when she asked about Rhysol made her curl her fingers in tightly, and she loosened them again by toying with the mostly-full cup in front of her. So Rhysol did not walk the streets of the city, then, and neither had this Gile met him. He spoke as if he had lived in the city for a while, so she grudgingly had to acknowledge that he probably knew what he was talking about. As for the rest, she had another question: "What is the 'Stryfe'?" She had not been in the city long. A day and a half, and most of that had been spent lurking around the edges of the docks or in her room, keeping away from those strangers on the streets that paid too close attention to her. She had hunted; she could spot predators when she saw them.

And speaking of predators... his next question set her on edge. She was intrigued by the concept of buying friends... but she didn't want to answer the question, herself. She was alone in the city. She knew about safety in numbers. In Syliras it hadn't been a big problem with their stupid knights tromping around all the time. But here... well, despite the disgusting, civilized nature of the city, she still sensed danger. She didn't want to answer that she was alone. And besides. Telling the truth often left a foul sickly taste in the back of her throat. It was too sweet.

So she answered as he would expect: "Friends..." She shrugged. "I have some, you know, not a lot or a little. We play. Do stuff. You know." She smiled prettily. She had tried playing with other children, it was true, but often they didn't like the games she made up for them. And they were tattlers, every one.

Just then something wet brushed her leg and the smile vanished. The Zithling had to stifle the reaction to kick at it. Then, when she realized it was a person on the ground, she wished she hadn't, just because she probably could have gotten away with it. Xii could've claimed it was an accident... She felt her posture echo her regret at the missed opportunity, and inside she was equally annoyed that she hadn't noticed this person approaching. Xii made up for it by staring at her extra hard.

The newcomer was a girl, older than her but still youngish much like Gile, and was soaked to the skin as her Mumma would have put it. Gile had a grip on her, tugging her to her feet. While he questioned her Xii watched, leaning forward to put her elbow on the table and prop her head up in attention, taking in the details. White dress... dark mark on the back of her pale hand. It was familiar, similar markings were all over the city.

Xii began playing with her cup again, taking another measured sip. To the girl, she asked her own questions. "Were you hiding?" She couldn't help but smile at the thought. "And what's that?" she finished, pointing at her hand.
Xii is using hypnotism
Xii is "speaking Common"

Xii
Drykas-Zith

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Alea Davenport on March 25th, 2015, 2:06 am

Alea gave the man who'd grabbed her a look of youthful disdain. "I...swan the canal," she told him, her tone indicating that she would very much like to add 'duh.' She wriggled a bit in his grasp, testing his grip. It was solid enough, but he clearly did not think her anything more than a little girl, and he clearly wasn't much of a fighter himself. It would not be too hard to wrench herself out of his grip if she decided to, so for this brief moment she stayed put.

She was trying to catch a glimpse out the windows when the little girl she'd overlooked asked her own questions. Alea ignored the first; it was evident what she had been doing. But the second question made her look down, at what the girl was pointing at. However, due to the imprecise nature of pointing, Alea assumed that, rather than the boring old tattoo on her hand, the girl was referring to the bracelet of teeth on her wrist just above it.

"This?" she said with a grimace, as she held up her right arm with the tattoo facing outward. "It's cursed is what it is."

Just then, the door tot he tavern began to open. Without waiting to see who it was, Alea dropped very suddenly into a crouch, jerking her shoulders forward as she did so to break the man's grip. She was edging back under the table, trying to see, without being seen herself, whether whoever entered was a threat to her.
Alea Davenport
Wielder of Obfuscated and Circuitous Logic

Words: 477755
Joined roleplay: October 28th, 2011, 10:54 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Guest Storyteller (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Gile Askara on May 1st, 2015, 3:16 pm

Gile Ollpheist

Letting go of the girl as she crouched, it wasn't like there was any reason to hold onto the odd girl. Watching the Girl as she dropped back under his table Gile rolled his eye's. Gile proceeded to mentally Kick himself for even coming to this place at all. spending a day with Light would have been much more enjoyable instead of whatever this was.

Gile shrugged, did he want trouble today, Or did he want to finish his drink in peace. Opting for the latter Gile again filled his cup from the Pitcher and in short order Downed it slamming the Cup back down on the table.

"well that's good, The young should definitely have friends, Not that not having friends will make you nay less of a person, Though lying about it might" Fixing Xii with an eye as he said this, something about the girls ambiguous race alone made little alarms go off in Giles head. "well it doesn't matter, Today, you are my friend, so if you need anything, I'm your guy" Gile let himself exude a mild relaxed aura, he didn't want trouble from nobody, and hopefully nobody would cause trouble for him.

That went for the Girl at the table as well, Hopefully she wouldn't cause him any issues he couldn't handle, but one never knows, especially with women. For Gile females meant nothing but trouble, in all their forms. The woman seemed to be trying to hide from something, though whatever it was He didn't know, and to be frank, he didn't care.

whispering to the girl under the table, "look, I ain't after any trouble, So, would you mind actin natural for a minute, These tables are tall and you aren't exactly outa site ya know."

Gile Askara
Minor manipulator

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Xii on May 2nd, 2015, 1:00 am

Though somewhat annoyed that the new girl seemed to have misunderstood her question ~that, or done so purposefully, perhaps as a thinly-veiled insult?~ she was still intrigued by what she said. "If it's cursed, why are you wearing it?" she asked, looking at the teeth, which seemed to be... digging slightly into the girl's skin? Or was that just from the shadows in this place? Xii squinted, trying to see better.

Before she could get a good look, however, the new girl dropped into a crouch and edged under the table. The Zithling considered kicking her just for the sport of it, but... nah. The time for that had passed. Instead, without even flicking her gaze towards whomever had come in through the door, she said, "It doesn't look like that person there is looking for you, but what do I know? I could be wrong."

To the young man, whose tone seemed a little rude all of a sudden, Xii just smiled. "Right. Lying. What a terrible thing." She often found it annoyed people more to agree with them for some reason, as if they were expecting some sort of resistance. If that was what this man wanted ~or maybe to make her uncomfortable?~ he was going to be disappointed. As if to prove how comfortable she actually was, the little girl stretched her shoulders, yawning, adopted a body language that read boredom, unconcern and then sipped from her own cup. Her cheeks and chest were beginning to feel warm from the drink, so she only took a little, making it seem she'd drunk more than she had.
Xii is using hypnotism
Xii is "speaking Common"

Xii
Drykas-Zith

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Next