Till Death do us Part (Brandon Blackwing)

A bat and a dying man on a mountain...

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The vast mountain range of Kalea is home of secret valleys, dead-end canyons, and passes that lead to places long forgotten or yet to be discovered.

Postby Mirage on June 3rd, 2015, 2:48 am

The silenced stretched on for several ticks as Dira looked down on Brandon where he knelt, examining him as if looking for something. Whether she found what she was looking for though was uncertain, for that same high pitched howl came again and the Goddess looked up in the direction of the noise, her expression a neutral mask as always.

"Yes, you did fail." She said simply, walking away from him to look down into the bubbling pool, "It really does not matter if you are sorry or you are not. In the end there is now one more in this world that tries to run from Death, futile as that may be."

Her eyes roamed over the bubbling vat of oozing mud, finally her lips turned downward in the first semblance of true emotion... distaste and disgust. Just as quickly as it appeared, however, it was gone and Dira looked back at Brandon once more, "Are you afraid of me little bat? Do you want to run from me as well?" She motioned around them at the open space and forest beyond, "There is nothing here to stop you if you wish to flee with your life."
Mirage
Truth is never certain

Words: 1231300
Joined roleplay: January 5th, 2012, 8:47 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)

Postby Brandon Blackwing on June 3rd, 2015, 10:05 am

x
Dira was just about every bit like Brandon may have expected she would be. Cold, calm and collected, showing no emotions, and no biases to occupation, wealth or race. The latter were just assumptions, but there was no way Death would care about either of those. He words stung, a painful truth. Just like Death could be. Did she scare him? Was he afraid of her? No. No, he was not afraid. He was terrified. Yet, the longer he found himself in the Goddess's presence, the more he adapted to it, though not all that much. Just about enough to find his voice and speak. It did not take away the fear, nor did it lift the tension from his body.

“You do frighten me,” the bat spoke, not looking at anything but the ground. He could feel her power all too well just like this, he did not have to lay eyes on her face. Meeting her stare was out of the question; Brandon feared he might faint on the spot if he did. “I was less afraid when the hiker was about to kill me,” he confessed, “With you it's as if every possible way I could die is standing in front of me, all of them about to take my life at the same time.” He swallowed once. “I was prepared, but then I survived. My determination vaporized. I regained hope. I am mortal. I believe I still have things to do in my life. Of course I am afraid of you.”

A brief pause to take a breather, to allow some stress to ebb away. Speaking with Dira was taxing in a way. He couldn't gauge her mood, he couldn't guess what he should say. If there was a right thing to say. Perhaps there wasn't, so the truth would have to do. His truth. Sure, his body still screamed for him to run, just like Dira had suggested he could do. Brandon was no fool though, frightened or not, he still had his wits about him. Running was no option. “I will not flee,” he stated, perhaps a little less confident than he'd liked, “There is no escaping Death. You just said that.”

He sighed. “And I do not want to live a life where I have to look over my shoulder every chime, worried you might appear. I do not wish to live a life where I start to doubt everyone, where I will start believing everything is out to kill me. If I have to choose between that or dying, then I'd gladly die, for a life like that is no life at all.” For a moment the bat spoke clearer, louder and more confident than before, a slightly defiant tone snuck into his voice as well. However, as soon as he realized who he was talking to again, all of those things vanished again. It was hard to be confident when in the presence of a Goddess. It was hard not to feel … insignificant. Actually it was rather impossible, for the bat could not even compare to the Goddess when it came to power or influence. No surprise, for he was mortal and she a god.

x

credit goes to Euthisa
Fighting Style and Techniques

Credit for this awesome sig goes to Estrellir Konrath
Brandon Blackwing
The master thief Incognito

Words: 1496963
Joined roleplay: September 8th, 2013, 3:24 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Mirage on June 18th, 2015, 3:01 pm

Once more her expression was unreadable, a mask of neutrality but such was death by its very nature. Still there seemed to be a thought that was just about to escape her lips as she turned fully toward Brandon, but before she could speak the high pitched howl interrupted whatever it might have been and Dira turned back away, looking toward the sounds origin. There, across the vat of bubbling mud in the direction that Biran had fled, two shapes were now rushing back toward them through the trees. Fast, yet nimble enough to leap and dodge around twisted trunks and raised roots. Just as the two forms reached the edge of the mud pool their shapes became recognizable, and they leaped clear accross the disgusting mess, landing on either side of Dira, tongues lolling out of the panting jaws as they nudged the Goddess with their noses, whining in a way that seemed to mimic speech.

Jackals. One dark as pitch, the other white as freshly fallen snow. Dira petted both as she knelt down and looked between them with a suddenly warm expression, nodding slowly as if she understood what it was they were trying to say.

"It looks like that creature has escaped, for now." She said softly, now scratching the white one behind the ears with both hands, the black now eyed Brandon curiously, "He has gotten what he wanted and so has fled. Though I doubt he will have forgotten the role you played in all of this."

Standing again she rested a hand on the black Jackals head, the other on the white's, and looked at Brandon with a critical eye, "What will you do now then little bat? Somehow I doubt he is so kind as to let his would be killer live, but then again he may very well still feel indebted to you for aiding him as you did. You two will meet again one day, of this I am sure. At that time what will you do? And now? Where will you go?"
Mirage
Truth is never certain

Office

Postby Brandon Blackwing on June 18th, 2015, 7:17 pm

x
A howl suddenly pierced the night air and the silence that hung between the Goddess and the Kelvic, causing the former to turn around again, leaving the bat out of sight for a couple moments. Those moments were spent by letting out a breath he'd been holding unconsciously, relieved to feel her stare lift from his form for a bit. Not only was it unnerving, but also seemingly able to see right through him. To view his very soul as clear as if there was no body to hide it in. Brandon felt strangely naked before her, scrutinized by her very eyes, chastised by her truthful words. Absolutely not the most pleasant feeling in the world, not at all.

He snuck a glance at the two animals that had come to join the Goddess, recognizing them as the creatures that had chased Biran just a few moments ago, though only because of their color. Apparently they were a kind of dog, though very different from any kind he'd ever seen. Not only the extremely dark coat of the first, nor the bright white one of the other, but also their entire face, their sound and their smell. Definitely canine, but not a kind he'd seen before. Curious as he might be, the bat decided against asking about them, this was neither the time for that, nor the appropriate situation. Dira probably wouldn't appreciate his nosiness right now.

So he stayed silent, focusing on what the Goddess informed him with instead, cursing internally at the news. Petch! Not good, not good at all. Brandon had hoped the beasts would have been able to corner the hiker and destroy him once and for all, but it seemed his hopes were dashed now. There was no escaping this mistake now, Biran roamed free, and it was the bat's fault. The thief grimaced at the mention of his own role in all this, not very much liking it was brought up once more. If he had to catalogue this mess, it would be at the very top of his list indeed. Nothing else could compare really; getting on a Goddess's bad side was definitely worthy of the top spot, the mess that would cause was too.

Then the gaze was fixed on him again -he could feel its weight as if it was a tangible object, a boulder placed on his shoulders, crushing him. Brandon quickly averted his eyes back at the ground, spotting the print his hands and forehead had made when he'd cracked. What would he do, huh? His first thought was run, but there was no way he could outrun something that could escape those lightning fast canine creatures. Fighting it had proven to be futile. There was one option left then. “Next time I meet him, I die,” he spoke, that was the only thing he could do really. “Today I fought, and today I lost. It became quite clear to me that I cannot win, that I cannot fight it. Not effectively, that is. Hence, I'll die.” The way he was talking, it almost sounded as if this was not about him at all, but about someone else. Someone the bat had no ties to, someone he did not care about, someone who did not matter to him at all, dead or alive.

“As for now... I-” he interrupted himself, stopping to think for a bit, not really sure what to answer. What was he going to do? Chase after the hiker? An impossible task. It was faster than him, it was immortal. Besides, Brandon had no idea where it was headed, and there was no way the bat could survive in the Unforgiving for lengthly amounts of time. And he did not want to chase the creature either; it was suicide. If they were to meet again anyway, he could spend his time better, wiser. Training, preparing for that encounter. “I'll continue my journey to Wind Reach... If you would allow it,” the Kelvic ultimately stated, figuring the Goddess had a condition she wanted to see fulfilled before letting him go... or live. There was no way that was a casual inquiry. There was also no way she'd just leave or let him just leave without any consequences after this mess of epic proportions he'd caused. He had a bad feeling about this.

x

credit goes to Euthisa

Brandon Blackwing

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Mirage on June 18th, 2015, 7:44 pm

"To Wind Reach..." Dira repeated thoughtfully. The black jackal made a sound, and so the Goddess knelt and gave this one a little extra attention as she did the white one, all the while her gaze now slipped from Brandon and did not return.

"You sound so certain of everything you just said. That you will go to Wind Reach, that you will die by this Biran's hands. Do you have no respect for me little bat? Or do you propose you know your time better than I do?" She paused in her scratching and began to rub down the creatures length, "There is no such thing as Immortal." She said suddenly, as if reading the Kelvic's thought process, "So again I will ask, little bat, what will you do?"
Mirage
Truth is never certain

Office

Postby Brandon Blackwing on June 19th, 2015, 4:30 pm

x
Brandon winced at the Goddess's words, startled by what he assumed was an outburst; though her tone hadn't really changed all that much. Though the bat was pretty sure he'd offended her, insulted her. “Of course not!” Brandon spoke hastily, “It wasn't my intention to-” Whatever he was about to say was cut off by Dira though as she spoke up all of a sudden. “What?” the bat exhaled, taken aback by that statement, looking up in confusion. “Not even you? But you are-” As soon as his eyes stopped at the Goddess's form they were averted again, the bat remembering his place and fixed his gaze back on the floor.

“Sorry, it's just... surprising. ” More than a bit even; just what did that mean? There was no such thing as Immortal? Then... what was the hiker? What had he become? He'd thrown away his mortality, hadn't he said so himself? And Dira had said he had defied the worlds natural course, which probably meant the same thing... more or less. But if there was no such thing as immortality, then what about the gods? Weren't those supposed to be immortal? And Dira especially! She was Death, how could she die? That just wasn't possible! It couldn't be possible!

Another surprising thing the Goddess of Death had mentioned was his time; his time to die that is. It wasn't so strange on its own, but rather a confirmation he had not expected. So there was a time of dying, a spot reserved for him, a moment in time where he was supposed to die. Was it set in stone? Perhaps. That may also have been what Dira had meant with 'defying the natural flow of the world', maybe Biran had been supposed to die tonight... Then again, if it was set in stone there was no way one could escape that fate. Perhaps this was just meant to be, no matter how awful that sounded. Or maybe Biran had died. The man, the person was dead, but the thing still lived. Who could say?

Dira's question required some pondering though, he needed to consider not only what he could or couldn't do, but also what she had told him just now. No such thing as immortal, which mean he could destroy Biran. However, fire hadn't worked, nor had hitting weak spots of the body, nor stabbing -had he stabbed the hiker? He thought he had... Still, the fact remained he was outclassed in a fight, he simply did not have the power to damage it. Maybe there were means to harm the so-called immortal, though Brandon did not know of them.

Nevertheless, when they'd meet again, the bat was fairly sure he'd meet Dira again, only not alive. Sure, he would fight, he would try to destroy it, he would try to right the mistake of aiding in his creation, but he did not believe he could win. Not in his current state. His opinion hadn't really changed. Nor had his vision of what to do. He couldn't survive in the wild for extended periods of time, he could not keep up with the speed of the hiker, nor could he track him down -well maybe he could... if he still smelled like the foul mud it would be a piece of cake. But, the obstacle was the Unforgiving. No, for a second encounter Brandon believed he'd have to prepare, study countermeasures to magics, to undead things, to whatever Biran was considered to be. The bat had to become stronger, he had to become more knowledgeable. Preparation might just be what he needed to stop that thing.

“I still think I-” No, that was a wrong phrasing, there was no certainty in this, there was only one thing he could be sure of, and that was what he wanted. “I want to go to Wind Reach, whether I get there or not is your domain, Lady Dira, but I want to get there. I doubt I can make it back to Lhavit, and even if I did I'd be incarcerated immediately.” A thoughtful pause. “Well, if I happen to run into the Councillor, that is. But regardless, I am tired, I have been flying for days. Wind Reach is closest to here, which is why it is my destination.” Of that he was certain indeed, but like he had said, he couldn't be sure if he'd ever reach it.

“As for the hiker...” Brandon blew out some air, thinking how to put his thoughts into words, “I do not believe I have a chance of winning. Not like I am now. Maybe never. You are aware of what happened, are you not, Lady Dira? I did not leave a scratch on his body. I could as well have been tickling him.” A fist pounded the earth in frustration. It hurt a bit, but at least it took away the soreness in his knees for a little bit. “I can only use the facts I am given to fuel my reasoning, and while I admit to not knowing everything there is to know -quite the opposite in fact- I have gathered enough to believe I cannot survive a second encounter. I don't know why I was spared tonight, I don't know if that was even your intention, but I know that without help I cannot … destroy Biran, let alone stay alive. But like I said I do not know a whole lot of things; I could very well be wrong. I hope I am wrong.” There, his reasoning explained, surely the Goddess could see how he came to his conclusions? Of course he did not know when he was supposed to die, nor how his death was supposed to happen, but if the second encounter would be anything like this one, well... then he was petched.

x

credit goes to Euthisa

Brandon Blackwing

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Mirage on June 19th, 2015, 5:39 pm

She smiled, so briefly it may or may not have happened at all. "There is no such thing as an Immortal," Dira repeated, turning slightly now so that she could pet the white Jackal as well, "but that does not mean that something cannot continue on indefinitely, unless stopped of course."

A short pause then as Dira was lost seemingly in thought, now looking off to the side, as if listening to something far far away, "What if I told you that Biran is not alone, that there are others like him, more powerful then him, roaming this world...? If I told you that, and then told you that there is, in fact, a way to stop them and return them to the cycle, what then would you do?"
Mirage
Truth is never certain

Office

Postby Brandon Blackwing on June 19th, 2015, 6:40 pm

x
Not alone? Damn, things only got worse and worse. Not only were there more of those creatures, but there were also more powerful ones? Damn, that was not good at all... never mind the numbers, whether their ranks were thin or not, those things were dangerous. Ordinary means -the ones he'd tried anyway- had had no effect... the bat could easily imagine what could happen if one of them decided to try and conquer a city... or the whole of Mizahar. A disaster, that's what it would be, a slaughter. Many lives lost. That was bad, very bad; though he doubted Dira would just let it happen. Then again, he did not really know the Goddess, nor was he able to figure her out.

“A way to stop them?” There was? He could slap himself in the face; of course there had to be! This was Dira, of course she wouldn't let those things roam free, of course she would have given someone the knowledge to defeat them. Or perhaps the power to do so. The power to return them to the circle eh? It almost sounded too good to be true; if it had been someone else he'd thought them to be a conman, playing on his fears and weaknesses to rip him off big time. But this was Dira, she was brutally honest, just like that which she represented. If she said something, it had to be the truth, or at least part of it.

Well, a way to stop them sounded wonderful, too good to be true; whether it was knowledge or power -basically the same thing, but whatever- he could use it to protect himself. To protect others. To make sure others did not join the ranks. Maybe he could tip the balance in favor of the living, of the mortal folk. Brandon was no hero though, and while he did think about others, his vision was mainly limited to people he cared about. However, did his reasons matter? Whether he did it for himself or not, did it matter? The outcome was what was important, no? Fewer abominations, less mockery of life and death. A way he could perhaps set things right, perhaps he could clean up this mess after all...

But was the bat a hero? No. Would he go actively looking for them? Not necessarily. Brandon was more of an opportunist anyway, if he found them, he would destroy them, one way or another. He might not rush in with drawn blades, instead he might just scout ahead, make plans and pick them off one by one. Fight smart, was what his mother once told him. Sure, it would take a while, but did that matter? Did it matter to him? No. He couldn't cleanse the world from all of them anyway, not with his lifespan. And to a Goddess, whose time was seemingly unlimited, did a year more or less matter? Probably not.

“If -purely hypothetical of course- if I knew about that way, then yes, I believe I might find myself stopping them. But me being me I don't think it's plausible I will chase them all over the place without anything that would entice such actions.” Please don't get mad... One of them killing a loved one might do the trick, maybe. “I will however do what I can to … return them when I find them and if I find them. Maybe not all at once, maybe not immediately, but I will. I plan on seeing the rest of Mizahar someday, so perhaps I might just visit some other places, places where I can find such creatures.” He swallowed even though his throat was dry and he did not have any saliva in his mouth. “Would that be satisfactory? Still purely hypothetical though,” he added quickly, not really wanting to go sound as if he was making any assumptions on getting the knowledge. After all, there wasn't any reason why the Goddess should bother, he had, in a way, wronged her. Aided an escapee in running from her, involuntarily but still.

x

credit goes to Euthisa

Brandon Blackwing

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Mirage on August 5th, 2015, 5:07 pm

Nodding slowly, Dira straightened to her full height once more. Raising one hand, two fingers to her lips, the Goddess made a motion as if she were whistling. To any other race no sound would be heard, but to Brandon the high pitched whistle pierced the air, nearly unbearably loud as both the Jackal's ears perked up before both darted away, heading in opposite directions, ordered by some unknown command.

"You have very strong instincts, and from them you have gained a wisdom that many of the other sentient races have not yet obtained." She now looked back at Brandon, extending the hand that was just used to whistle, "Give me your hand." It was not a request.

Long pale fingers would wrap around Brandon's wrist, though her touch was strangely warm despite her domain of influence, "Death comes to everyone in time. It is inescapable, but for some it takes longer than others. It is impossible to run away forever, yet it is equally foolish to go looking for it. That is something you know instinctually little bat." With her other hand Dira pushed Brandon's fingers apart so that the hand was held palm out, fingers splayed out. Then with a gentle tug she would bring the hand before her eyes, and as gentle as a breeze her lips would brush the Kelvic's flesh.

From the point of contact goosebumps would rise, spreading down his arm to cover his entire body as he felt the sensation of being dunked in cold water. Even so there was a warmth, just a spark, from the point where her lips touched his palm.

Leaning back Dira would slowly unwrap her fingers from his wrist, her other hand gently brushing Brandon's cheek as she stepped away, "There now, you have had a brush with death that few may claim. Remember what I have said and go to Wind Reach. You may find that others will need you there very soon."

Turning away Dira then began to make her way around the dark pool, heading in the direction the white Jackal had taken, not even glancing back. The point where she had kissed Brandon's palm was still warm, even as the goosebumps began to fade. He had accepted a kiss from death and lived. That was surely something to be happy about... right?
Mirage
Truth is never certain

Office

Postby Brandon Blackwing on August 5th, 2015, 8:39 pm

x
Dira nodded, so Brandon saw when sneaking a quick glance upwards. Did that mean he had said the right things? That the Goddess was pleased or at least satisfied with that answer? He hoped so; he did not want to end up evoking the Deity’s wrath for spouting nonsense. A loud piercing sound tore the night air apart then, too loud and too sharp to be healthy, and Brandon felt as if his ears were going to explode. He cringed while facing down, but he did not move, instead freezing for a moment, all the muscles in his body clenched. Dira’s beasts took off in different directions, and Dira spoke once more.

She commended him, inspiring a grin that existed only briefly. Oh, he knew very well what she meant; he had thought about it a lot himself. To Brandon, that part of being Kelvic was what made them superior to the other races. Their instincts and their keen senses. He’d overheard some conversations where people –humans- were discussing the Kelvic race, pitying them for being beastly. Little had they known a Kelvic had been sitting right next to them. Little had they known the member of the race pitied them for not being beastly. There were too many useless things inside the humanoid mind; things that replaced extremely useful instincts and basic knowledge. Body language for example.

At her command, Brandon reached out his arm, bringing his hand up where Dira could grab it. Her touch was warm, surprisingly, and soft too. One would have expected the opposite from Death itself, but it seemed those features were only embedded in her personality. It made her… no, it made Brandon feel as if somehow she was perhaps not too different from the mortals roaming Mizahar. Extremely powerful, yes, but –so she had said herself- not immortal. And nor did her touch burn like frozen fire. Maybe the gap between gods and mortals wasn’t so wide after all. Or perhaps that was just how they wanted their followers to feel. That they were not unreachable.

Either way, Dira spread his fingers gently, tugging it just as gently higher, forcing Brandon to get to his feet, following his hand. What happened next was … unreal. Something that confused the bat to the core, something he couldn’t really believe had happened. Dira kissed his palm. It was swift, and the touch was light, but she kissed his hand nonetheless. A kiss of Death. But Brandon did not die; his heart did not suddenly stop beating, nor did his breathing stop. On the contrary. Both sped up, heart beating furiously, breathing ragged. Goosebumps raced across his whole body, spreading from his palm like ripples caused by a stone thrown in a still lake. Immediately following was a cold sensation, not freezing, but not close to lukewarm either. Cold, but not unbearable. Cold, but not unpleasantly so. And his palm knew a slight warmth, staying in place. It remained just as long as the cold, and even longer. It, just like the goosebumps stayed, while he stood with mouth agape. While Dira stroked his cheek in a manner that felt almost lovingly.

The Goddess of Death spoke one final time before turning away and walking off slowly, leaving Brandon behind. Go to Wind Reach. So that was his destination after all. And they needed his help. Already. Or maybe they always had? The bat stared in the direction where Dira was walking, and he bowed his head once more, a slight smile on his face. “Thank you, Lady Dira. I will do whatever I can to heal the damage I’ve caused,” he whispered. Then, he straightened up again, only to see she’d already vanished. The Kelvic found he was starting to miss her already; the presence that had led to so much adrenaline and excitement. To fear and relief. Never had he felt more alive than just a couple chimes ago. When Biran tried to kill him, when Dira had appeared before him.

He wanted to feel it again. See her again. His instincts told him indeed not to seek out Death, but Brandon never had. What he did was seeking confirmation of his existence. That he was alive. He sought Kihala, and he did it through dancing, brushing, with Death. Two sides of the same coin… perhaps he’d see … or feel… both again once he encountered Biran. When he exterminated those abominations. Perhaps he would in Wind Reach. The Kelvic stared at his palm, still feeling the warmth, even though the cold was gone, and the gooseflesh was starting to fade. Along with the warmth there was something else, something Brandon hadn’t noticed before. A mark of sorts. A black scythe. One did not have to be a genius to figure out Dira had left the mark, and that with it he had probably gained the knowledge and power she’d spoken of, however, what those were still remained a mystery. Perhaps in Wind Reach he’d find the answer.

The longer he stayed, the more reasons seemed to pop up for him to continue travelling to the city of the Inarta. Brandon grinned, starting to walk to the nearest tree, still feeling the aftershock of the meeting with Dira. Adrenaline was still flowing, and his muscles did not feel tired at all. With a jump he launched himself at the lowest branch and swung himself on top of it, then reached for the next one, repeating the process, and adding extra grip by placing his feet against the trunk when he needed it. Brandon climbed higher and higher acrobatically, until he found he was high enough. Then he jumped down, shifting immediately, maneuvering through the branches with ease, then soaring higher with every beat of his leathery wings.

His destination? Wind Reach.

x

credit goes to Euthisa

Brandon Blackwing

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

PreviousNext