Laying in the Shadow of your Family Tree (Kavala)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Postby Dhanya on November 15th, 2010, 2:49 pm

Timestamp: 60th Autumn
Tagged: Kavala

She still didn't want to tell her.

It was an awkward conversation and leaving it would only make it more so. Dhanya wondered why she kept postponing it, when every hour only served to make her feel more or liar. Not that she had lied, yet, only withheld.

Which was perhaps worse. If she did not want to say the words, did that mean there was shame in them? Was she just worried Kavala would ask her to leave, drawing out the days only to exploit the Konti's hospitality. Dhanya would have felt more ashamed, only she needed her help. She did not want to lose it too soon and be left with two children she could not look after properly. The time Kavala had given her and the space within her home had been invaluable.

Even if the Akalaks she had seen still filled her with a palpable sense of revulsion. She had been surprised at the depths of her own hatred. They were a part of the industry that demanded Kelvic women, while letting Kelvic men wallow in the pits. She wanted to teach them a lesson but had not been able to find a moment. She did not know what Ionu would have wanted, so she prayed to him and promised she would act when the timing had poetry. As it was, she knew she would be leaving soon. She had learned much but did not feel she had gained opportunity. There would be time for that, later.

She went for a walk, without her children for once, leaving them in the care of a kind soul for what would only be an hour at the most. She found Kavala with her horses, had followed her scent through the earthy smell they left behind. She laid her hands over the closest fence, traced the grain of the wood, warm from the sun.

She opened her mouth to speak and closed it before a sound could be born. She would wait until the other woman was closer.
Dhanya
Probably attractive in real life.

Words: 136227
Joined roleplay: February 25th, 2010, 12:52 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Kavala on November 16th, 2010, 9:27 pm

ImageKavala knew something was weighing heavily on Dhanya's mind. She suspected the children's father was the source of the woman's troubled heart. The Kelvic simply didn't understand that Kavala was empathic to all animals, but most especially to Kelvics. She could tell when they hurt and she could tell when they hated. And while Dhanya hadn't actually pictured the father around Kavala where the Konti could pick up an image of him, she still suspected abuse.

At first she'd thought all the angst around the father meant that someone had forced Dhanya. She'd acutely felt it when she'd caught flashes of hate from the kelvic in regards to the Akalak. Dhanya simply couldn't stand them and Kavala had no idea why. She'd been polite enough in avoiding Hatot and several of the other Akalak visitors they'd had throughout Dhanya's stay... but if Kavala had been a betting woman, she'd have bet an Akalak raped Dhanya and got her with child. Of course, they didn't see it like that. Kelvics were pets. But the fact that Dhanya's children were human meant that Kavala's suspicions were wrong.

Kavala couldn't simply read the Kelvic. It was almost as if Dhanya were deliberately hiding something from her... avoiding thinking about things that Kavala could pick up. Someone might have told her - warned her even - about the Konti's gift. Kavala immediately suspected Mao who seemed to have a passion for sticking her nose into almost everyone's business - invited or not.

But Kavala didn't really mind. She was just worried for the young mother, even though from what she'd seen the Kelvic was doing fine. Dhanya had enchanting children. Kavala loved them already and took to helping Dhanya night and day. In fact, in the style of the Drykas, Kavala often took one of the twins in a baby sling with her riding or for her workouts along the beach. It was good practice for her future motherhood. And it was good practice for her medical training.

Just this morning, Quin had been fussy and she'd been able to diagnose a stomach ache and give him a few drops of an herbal to calm him down. It had taken her almost a half an hour to brew the tincture, but she didn't let the timing or the fussy baby phase her. Instead, she wanted Dhanya to feel welcome and like she fit right in, even with her two infant children.

But Kavala couldn't stay with the babies all the time. Things needed doing, and right now horses needed training. The young frostmarch mare she was teaching to carry a rider wasn't safe for an infant tag-along so Kavala was alone working the mare in the large arena. She rode her only in a halter with a yvas across her belly to get the mare used to tack. She'd add a saddle later when the mare was going along better, but for now she was just simply adding weight and encouraging the mare to impulse forward. One of the hardest things to teach a new horse was to walk on, step forward, move with a rider on them. They mostly wanted to freeze, stay locked in place, until the unfamiliar weight disappeared off their backs. Kavala had a trick for making them move with her weight. She simply out waited them pitting her patience against theirs until they were so bored it was all they could do to hold still. Then, once they were antsy enough to start moving, she made it fun for them with praise and gentle encouragement. She never drummed her heels against their side, took a crop to them, or used loud words to get them to move.

Instead she made adding a rider just another piece of tack they had to deal with in her training program. She'd already taught them all they needed to know from the ground. Taking those lessons to their backs was just one more step. The mare in question she rode this very moment was in foal. All the mares on the place were. If they weren't fertile or exceptional, Kavala sold them and replaced them with better stock. This young mare was athletic, lovely, and smart. She also had no problems moving around the arena carrying Kavala. But the konti still had to be careful. Anything could happen at any time to spook the mare or break her concentration and then there's be interesting dealings. Usually those dealings ended up with her rear planted in the soft fluffed sand of the arena.

So, when Dhanya wandered up with her entire being oozing troubled motherhood, Kavala shifted her weight on the young mare's back, sat back to bring her to a halt and gently turned her over to where Dhanya was standing. That the mare responded and moved up to the fence pleased Kavala well enough that she slipped down, pattered her neck and greeted Dhanya.

"Hows the new mother today? The little one feeling better? He was sure upset about his stomach this morning."
She added. "And how are you doing... you look lovely this morning. Like you actually got some sleep." Kavala said, grinning. They'd all teased Dhanya about the dark circles under her eyes and the pension she'd developed for falling asleep during meals or baths. Quite a few times now Mao had went and rescued her from a certain sudsy death after she'd climbed into the tub and dropped off almost instantly to sleep.
The Sanctuary The Sanctuary Forum Riverfall The Cytali
Reverie Isle Wolf Creek Training Course
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala
I am more than the sum of my parts.

Words: 3295757
Joined roleplay: October 25th, 2009, 1:46 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 17
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Master Merchant (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (2) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Dhanya on November 17th, 2010, 7:35 am

Dhanya remained unaware of the Konti's gift, which was in many respects a boon. Had she known, she would have become more elusive, unwilling to relay more than her words could tell. It was inner turmoil that hid the truth from Kavala and the fact that she was an accomplished hider. She kept her thoughts from showing on her face when she felt it was important. She'd learned how first when she was a slave, then as a performer and finally as a matter of survival. The malleability of a Kelvic's sense of self lent well to a chameleonic nature. She could keep unwanted thoughts out of mind until she was safe and alone.

She hadn't even let Kavala know how much it worried her to see the children with her on a horse. Dhanya held her tongue because she knew that soon they would be in a sling at the same time, with a less confident rider. She wanted them used to horses before she had to uplift them and travel once more. Even if she wanted to stay in Sanctuary, she could not abide the Akalaks easily and Endrykas offered the promise of a festival and money. She needed work. Better that the travel not be an entire surprise to Ouin and Katya.

Of course, there was Ionu to consider. Her children were born and safe, she was still busy but less encumbered than before. She could bend down to touch her toes, after months of not being able to, though she did feel less limber than before. The time had come to act or at least try to act.

Ionu had faith in her. She was going to prove it was well placed. She had to.

Dhanya smiled as Kavala approached, though it was a troubled expression. She still wasn't used to the type of attention she received at Sanctuary. It was less bemused than she was used to, though sometimes still curious, the people at least knew what she was. Dhanya was less lonely than she had ever been, able to fall asleep with the mingled scent of human and animal in the air. The scent of others, which reminded her of curling up to sleep next to her own mother. The understanding was important, even if the communal living was somewhat difficult to adjust to, after being independent for such a long time.

"He's much better, thank you." She said, quieter than usual. "And I did, it was wonderful. I think I got a few hours before Katya woke up and needed feeding."

She seemed to redden at Kavala's compliment. Dhanya did not often receive them from other women, her path in life having taken her away from family or social ties. She ran her index finger along the fence again nervously.

"I need to tell you something." She admitted reluctantly. "It might make you mad."

The "with me" was unspoken but inherent in her statement. She found herself thinking of Van clearly for the first time in months, as if she could see him once more. Ionu had said that he wouldn't let her keep them.

Well, she wasn't going to let him take them.
Dhanya

Character sheet
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Kavala on November 30th, 2010, 5:12 pm

ImageKavala tilted her head, leaned against the rail on the opposite side, and listened to Dhanya's restlessness. The Konti extended her senses, opened her mind, and let Dhanya's emotions wash over her. She was good at reading kelvics. She was even better at reading horses. At a distance she could, if she knew the horse, see through its eyes if it were close enough to her. Close meaning she knew the animal and there was a trust or bond between them. Kevlics were easier, but she had never had a situation with one that meant she could see through their eyes. Pictures came and went. Worries grew faces - storms, starvation, punishment by their masters. Dhanya was no different. Her worry had a face, but what shocked Kavala was who's face it was.

Vanator.

The Konti kept silent though, anger in her building. A million what-ifs filled her mind. Had he hurt her? Scared her? Her brother was a lot of things, but he was not abusive. At least he hadn't been. Kavala waited, not knowing, her expression blank, one that Hatot or Radris would surely know meant trouble.
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Dhanya on December 1st, 2010, 9:17 pm

Dhanya could not read Kavala's expression, so she avoided it, looking down towards the ground and hoping that her reluctance would not be viewed as lying. She took a deep breath and tried to slow the pounding of her heart. Once she might have just run away. Not anymore, she would face the truth this time.

"I think... I know. I knew of you before we met. I used to hear stories about how the Denusk pavilion had konti daughters, before they moved away. I never really thought about it too much at the time but..." She had no idea what she was trying to say. "I didn't want to tell you because I wasn't sure how you'd take it. I used to live with the twin's dad, until he got engaged. It wasn't really..."

Except it had been, really...

"He's from the same pavilion you are. If, I mean, if you are from the Denusk pavilion, then he's your brother." Dhanya did not look up. "Van, I mean."

Dhanya wanted to ask if it was still fine for her to stay or if Kavala was angry but she kept her mouth closed. She didn't want to seem like a toady. Would she be pleased that she was related to the twins? Would she be mad that Dhanya had been with Van, so close to his marriage?

Honesty was such a difficult thing.
Dhanya

Character sheet
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Kavala on December 13th, 2010, 7:30 am

Image Kavala didn't move or say anything for a long time. More time passed than she'd actually remember passing as her mind whirled. "Why didn't you say anything before? This means that your children are my niece and nephew and heir to the Denusk Pavilion." Kavala said softly, thoughtfully, meeting Dhanya's eyes.

"Are you... planning on traveling with them? I mean I've heard you talk about going here or going there but the truth is children need a home. I don't know if your nature requires you to move a great deal, but when they are young like they are, they need stability and a solid place to live. If you keep traveling with them odds are they are going to grow sick or get exposed or have any number of childhood ailments befall them. Having one tiny infant is hard enough for a new mother, but two and traveling homeless is going to be really hard Dhayna."
Kavala said softly looking thoughtful.

She truly meaning well when she said the next, but she wasn't sure if her words would come out the right way. "You are welcome to stay here as long as you want or... even leave the children here if you feel the need to travel. If they are my kin, they always have a home here at Sanctuary - and you too as their mother." Kavala said, not sure if she'd anger the woman or not by suggesting she'd be a bad mother dragging her newborns all over. They might be children of a kelvic, but they were still very tiny very vulnerable children.

As for Vanator's role in the whole thing, Kavala reserved judgment. She'd tried very hard not to be surprised by anything her brother did or said. Why should she? He lived his own life. But she didn't want to see the infants dragged all over the countryside, that much was for certain.

Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Dhanya on December 17th, 2010, 5:03 pm

"I thought you'd kick me out." Dhanya answered. "Van's getting married and it's not like I have any real proof. It upsets things."

Putting it like that, she sounded ungrateful and untrusting. Well, she wasn't trusting, that was fair. She didn't have much reason to value trust. Playing her cards close to her chest was safer, always would be. Unlike others, she wasn't a slave, at least not yet. She had her freedom, which was important. Being honest with Kavala was a risk she hadn't been willing to take until she'd felt strong enough to leave quickly if she had to.

She hadn't even thought of it that way immediately. Still, there it was. She was still being careful with her bets.

"If they're Drykas they'll be moving all the time anyway..." She added.

Dhanya had planned to travel, not all the time, just regularly. She didn't want to be in one place and she didn't want them to be tied to Cyphrus without seeing the outside first. Seeing with her, in the few years they would have to do so.

"I'll never leave them anywhere. I thought I would, when I was pregnant but now... I just can't. I'll visit sometimes, if you have space but when I go, they'll come too."

Some days, some sad days, she still thought about leaving them permanently. It was just that the feelings disgusted her and made her feel so sorry for having considered it. They were hers, no one would take them. No one could, even if she was on her own. Dhanya was sure she knew... Well, she didn't know best. She was sure her plan was better than the alternatives, at least temporarily.

"Besides, I've had a home before. It wasn't that great." She concluded.

Not in the end, anyway.
Dhanya

Character sheet
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Kavala on December 18th, 2010, 4:34 pm

Image "Why would I need proof? Your word is good enough for me. It gains you nothing to lie when I've already offered you a place to stay regardless of who your children are." Kavala said, wondering if Dhanya realized that was the reason her facility was called Sanctuary. It was to give people shelter, people who were different than the men and women who lived in the city or even out on the grasslands. Kavala didn't need someone's gratitude to offer them a place to stay. She truthfully didn't need them to trust her either. Life was hard enough without what could be considered a weakness at times - trust. Kavala herself, despite her calm demeanor, trusted very little and was often afraid. Had Dhanya's children been anyone else's, Kavala wouldn't have said a word, but she felt she owed it to the family to point out a few things to the kelvic.

"If they were part of a Drykas Pavilion, they'd be moving with all kinds of friends and family - welcome safe arms to hold them, carry them, ride with them, and each night they'd have a warm tent to sleep in with the entirety of their whole family. Do you even have a pavilion, Dhanya? The Drykas move, but its part of who they are to do so. They would never set off alone with two infants. That's asking for trouble, between slavers, glassbeaks, velispar, and the like. Even grass lions are a problem or as small as they are, Cyphrus eagles. Even caravans wouldn't protect you like family would. Does Vanator know?" Kavala asked, looking thoughtful.

Kavala nodded when Dhanya said firmly that she wouldn't leave them and that she'd visit sometimes. Even as an aunt, she had no right to tell the kelvic how to live her life or what to do with her children. She just didn't envy the infants a life of travel when they were so entirely little. The best thing she could do was make up medicines for almost any ailment she could think of that affected infants and send it along with Dhanya. That might matter, in the short term, if she left early or even headed into the Grass come wintertime.

"I'll get busy in my workroom then and try to think of everything I know that might effect infants traveling and see if I cant make you up a packet of remedies to help in case they colic or get diarrhea or perhaps grow a tooth ache or run fevers." It was all she could think of to do. "If I label them carefully, can you read common?" She asked carefully, not wanting to offend the kelvic if she could not read so she slated the question as if it was a matter if she could read common or not verses some other language.

"You can stay as long as you'd like, but I want to have something ready in case you do decide to leave before the snow. " Maybe she could have one of the resident kelvics take down something with a thick furred coat and then make baby slings out of the tanned hide for Dhanya too... fur inside out might keep the little ones warm.

Abruptly, she wanted to be mad at Vanator. Drykas men were notoriously promiscuous, but to lay with a kelvic that would then produce offspring and drag his children all over Cyphrus and maybe further was irresponsible. Of course, how would he know? How could he anticipate such a thing? Kavala sighed softly, sad suddenly. Dhanya was kelvic and their ways weren't hers. She understood that.

Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Cayenne on May 16th, 2011, 5:42 pm

A good thread, although it's a shame that it ended up dropped. I enjoyed reading it!

I hereby award the following:

Kavala

Medicine: 1
Animal Husbandry: 2
Rhetoric: 4
Persuasion: 2

Lore: Training Horses To Accept Tack
Lore: The Dangers of Traveling for Newborns

Dhanya

Rhetoric: 3

Lore: Nervousness In the Face of Uncertain Expressions
Lore: The Need of Stability for Infants