[The Rearing Stallion] We Meat Again! [Orin Fenix]

(Not sorry for the title though the thread has probably nothing to do with meat) ...in which Orin and Isolde do some cooking and foody stuff.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Postby Isolde Seibold on March 27th, 2015, 9:08 pm

23rd of Spring
mid afternoon

He'd said to come in the afternoon or evening, and so she had, appearing at a time that she thought might have a lull in patrons... after lunch had ended and before most would appear for an early supper. The Nuit was nervous, but steady. She skipped past the front entrance and noticed a lack of customers inside --except for maybe a lone fellow hunched over at the bar-- and headed around the edge of the building, looking for the other entrance that Orin had told her about.

It wasn't difficult to find. All she had to do was just hop into the alley around the back and look for the door that was propped open. Still, she let out a breath of relief when she found the place, the door actually open as he'd said it would be, a little crate keeping it from closing all the way. The Nuit hadn't wanted to knock and risk coming face to face with a stranger --perhaps even Orin's boss, if he had one, or a bouncer of some sort-- wondering what she was doing lurking around as she was. It was better to just peer in the door, and see if she could spot the person she had promised to visit. And if not, there was always tomorrow.

But it turned out that today was a good day. As she was haunting the back door, she thought she spotted a familiar form, despite having only met the young man once. She slipped hesitantly through the crack in the doorway, which was just wide enough for her thin form to shimmy through without having to move anything out of its place. Once mostly inside --though one foot still extended back out into the alley, as if she was willing to turn around at a moment's notice-- Isolde knocked the side of her fist against the inside of the doorway, sparing her knuckles from bruising.

"Orin?" She called at the figure, then added for good measure, "It's Isolde. Um... remember me?" A blush of a smile, under watchful eyes. She remembered having liked Orin, she remembered him being a good person, but she had been in a strange mood that day. And he had had time to change his own opinion of her in the meantime.

Then again, he had helped her more than he might ever know. He had saved her life, and ended up helping to give her direction. She spoke a little more clearly and confidently. "You said to drop on by sometime, so if you're not busy I thought I might stop in. To thank you, you know. And try some food maybe, if the offer still stands. Sorry for taking so long to come visit." She smiled again, still not having moved from the doorway. She was waiting for something. Maybe an invitation to come in. Maybe to see if he still remained kind and calm in her undead presence.

OOCHopefully this post is serviceable. I'm not the greatest at starting threads.
Isolde Seibold
the roots of the tree

Words: 434086
Joined roleplay: April 21st, 2013, 3:57 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Orin Fenix on March 27th, 2015, 11:17 pm

Orin bid Remi a goodbye and promised her he'd be able to handle dinner all alone. Rondo was out, supposedly sick not that Orin cared all that much. Unless it was life-threatening, Orin figured the man was due for a bit of annoyance in his life considering how difficult he made it for everyone else. Remi had been displeased when she got the message from the other head chef. Today, she was going 'shopping for supplies' for The Rearing Stallion. Orin had always been confused by these trips seeing as nothing new ever showed up in the pantry or anywhere else in the kitchen. However, the last time Orin had spotted Remi blushing as Ser Kevith led her away. So Orin had finally realized that she used these rare opportunities for some personal time with her husband. Orin loved the older lady and wouldn't want her to ever be inconvenienced by Rondo if Orin could help it. Besides, Orin wasn't the simple cook he'd been when he first came into Syliras many days ago. Though he tended to downplay his abilities, Orin figured he could give either Remi or Rondo a run for their money at this point. Not that Orin would ever confront them in such a way. It just meant that Orin could handle the dinner rush on his own, especially since Remi had done all the planning and helped with most of the prep work. Also, Orin now had permission to experiment and he would seize it gladly.

Today's dish would be lamb. Three days ago Orin had made the sauce that he would be mainly seasoning with. It was fairly simple. It was a base of olive oil with just a bit of balsamic vinegar. He'd also placed lemon rinds, basil, oregano, garlic and peppercorns. According to Remi, this was a traditional lamb sauce and it needed to sit for a few days so it could mix properly. Orin believed her, and as he stared at the jar he couldn't wait to try it. And once the lamb was spotted and roasting, Orin could get to work on the dessert. There were enough greens left over from the slow lunch that Orin would just use those. It wouldn't be a big deal for Orin to whip up some more.

Just as he was about to unseal the jar and get to work on the lamb, a familiar voice called out from the back door. Orin's eyes shot up to see Isolde standing half in and half out of the doorway. "Isolde! Come on in. You couldn't have picked a more perfect day to show up. I'm the only one here. Rondo is sick and Remi is off with her beau, Kevith, he owns the place. Oh, those two are the head chefs here but today that honor falls to me. And don't worry about taking your time to show up. We'll just have to make up for it now." Orin waved her in. While he didn't know how much Isolde knew about cooking. But a second pair of eyes and hands always helped in the kitchen. And a second tongue was always welcome.

"I am a bit busy but I'll always have time for my friends. That's you, and others I mean, but in this case, you. Which you probably understood in the first place." Orin grinned, then hurried over to the lamb and began rubbing the sauce all over. "Actually if you want to help that would be wonderful. And then you'd get to taste the results of your own two hands. With my assistance of course. If you do want to help, there's the sink. If not and you'd prefer to just observe, take a seat at the table." Orin first pointed at the sink then the table where the staff at. The first was at one end of the center island that had a counter at the other end and a stove and an oven in the middle. The table with its bench was opposite the back door on the same wall as the entrance from the kitchen to the common room. And Orin was by the hearths on the side with the back door. The pantry was located between the common room door and the back door. There were a few other tables and counters scattered about for when multiple projects had to be going on at once. "Oh and watch your head, not that I think it'll be an issue. There are pots and pans and herbs and whatnot hanging from racks, which I'm sure you noticed. It just saves room and y'know it's easier to grab one from overhead than to go fetch one from the pantry." There were also potted herbs on the windows. In short, everything Orin could ever want in a kitchen. He'd probably model his own kitchen after this one, assuming he ever got that far in his life.

Orin flipped the lamb over and started on the second side. "If you're joining in, rub this sauce in. It's not exact just try to cover every spot if you can. If there's anything left over, feel free to take a sip or something or however you think you can test it. I'll warn you, I'm not sure how it'll be if it's not actually on something." While he left that to her, or to him for later, Orin hurried into the pantry for some whole onions, some garlic and a few precious lemons as well as some string and a needle. Orin's stitches were completely awful but they didn't have to be tailor work to seal up a lamb.. As he came back into the kitchen proper, he set his burden on the table. He realized he was being awfully anti-social and far too businesslike. "So, what exactly have you been up to? I mean I know my life is boring and filled with day after day or cooking but I imagine you live a slightly more thrilling existence. Where do you work? Or rather do you work? I feel as if I already know you so well but then when I think about it there are so many details that I know nothing about. I assume you live in Syliras in one of those holes in the ground they call an apartment?" As Orin chattered away he bustled to the hearth to check on the setup of the spit. After a few adjustments to make sure it was stable Orin was satisfied. He came back to the lamb to see if he needed to finish up with the sauce or if Isolde had saved him the work and he'd just have to stuff it, sew it, and spit it. Orin hoped he wasn't overwhelming poor Isolde. Last time his energy had been slightly more contained. Also, here, in the kitchen, was Orin's solid ground and where he derived a good deal of his self-confidence. He knew exactly what he was doing. "One last question I promise. For now at least. Do you have a preference what I make for dessert? Okay I lied. One more, how's Shyke?" Orin couldn't help but chuckle at the seagull's name.
Orin Fenix
Almost Iron But Actually Master Chef

Words: 1186489
Joined roleplay: January 24th, 2015, 12:06 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1)

Postby Isolde Seibold on March 28th, 2015, 12:46 am

At Orin's warm welcome, the unconscious tension relaxed from Isolde's neck and shoulders, and she gave a genuine smile before slipping into the kitchen the rest of the way. The relief was there, too, when he said that he was the only one in. Part of her hesitance in coming had been not knowing how she'd be received by his coworkers. She hadn't wanted to cause strife in his workplace. But this was good. Nobody was here but Orin; the Nuit didn't have to worry.

Orin launched into instructions, and Isolde was surprised at his energy and businesslike directions, having expected some sort of chatter from the young man. Still, she automatically fell to, not having expected to cook herself, but used to taking orders in the kitchen. She had never been that great of a cook before. Just barely passable, really, since her interests had always involved being outside the house. Her mother had been so exasperated with her kitchen skills when she was growing up as a girl. Isolde didn't see how her poor form might have changed in the intervening years, but she supposed that if she was lucky it wouldn't matter. After all... Orin would just be telling her what to do. There was no way she could mess up simple directions, was there?

The Nuit crossed to the sink --watching her head as she went, though most of the pans and things were hung too high to be much of a danger-- and began thoroughly scrubbing her hands. She wouldn't have paid this much attention to a simple cleansing when she was alive... but then again, she had been alive back then, so it hadn't mattered as much. The thought of unclean, dead flesh touching food... urk. So she ran the water and scrubbed and scrubbed until she was certain her hands were the cleanest they'd ever been, and then she washed some more. She even went up onto her forearms like she'd seen a doctor do once, making sure she covered every piece of flesh that might come into contact with the food. After, she found a nearby towel and carefully dried, then turned to Orin to help with the meat --whatever it was.

Before she got to the sauce, however, Isolde paused. "Do I need an apron or anything, you think?" she asked, more wary of her clothes touching the food than the food touching her. If she needed one, she would find it and put it on before continuing. And then, curious, "Also, what is this? It's not beef, is it? Veal?" It had been so long since she'd cooked anything, and like she'd thought earlier, she'd never been an expert. On that subject... "And uh, just to let you know... these hands were not made for cooking." She wiggled her fingers for emphasis. "I never was all that talented at it. My creations were edible, of course... but you could really call them creations, as I said, more than actual dishes. So simple instructions are good. As for tasting the sauce, um... where are the spoons?" She would have once just stuck a finger in and tasted it that way, but now... dead tongue, dead mouth, just as she had dead hands. She'd just use a spoon and make sure everything stayed nice and clean.

It was a little exciting, though, to think that she would be tasting something at all. She hadn't in so long. She didn't know how many years it'd been. What would it be like? She could barely remember.

Once she'd started with the rub, lathering the sauce onto the outside of the meat just as she'd lathered the soap onto her hands not a few chimes before, it seemed Orin came back to the person that she'd met, rather than the man who seamlessly supplied orders to be followed. He asked about what she'd been doing and her work and her apartment. Isolde shrugged, adding more sauce to be worked in, her sleeves already pushed up past her elbows and hair tucked carefully behind her ears.

"Believe it or not, I don't usually do stuff that's all that interesting, you know. Just sort of... like what normal people do, I guess? Except there's just more time. Since I don't sleep or anything like that." She looked over to see what he was doing, if she was spreading the sauce correctly. "But actually... you've asked during an interesting time in my life. A... transition, you could say? Really it's thanks to you, and another young fellow I met not too long ago. Um, since we last talked... well, I've moved out of my old 'hole in the ground' as you put it --not that I'm objecting, that's a good description-- and into a nearby one. The squire dormitories, actually."

She paused, and when she next spoke she sounded like she still didn't even believe what she was saying. "...I'm a squire now. Er. A mage squire, to be precise." She rushed past that bit, not knowing if Orin was comfortable with the topic of magic, or what he thought of mages in general. A lot of people were afraid of them, and for good reason. It made her skin prickle to say that she was a mage out loud, but it was different now. She was a mage that belonged to the city, in order to protect the people and their values. That wasn't something to be afraid to admit, was it?

"As for dessert... no preference. I think I liked fruit when I was growing up, I had a sweet tooth. So anything's good. And Shyke," she also smiled, though it wasn't at the name. Shyke was just such a character. He was a bright spot in her day, whenever she went to see him. He made her less lonely. "He's good. I go down and visit him when I don't have anything better to do. Bring him some scraps of dried meat or breadcrumbs. It keeps him happy, and plump. Though I worry he'll come to rely on me too much, if I continue, but I can't help it. Like I said, he's my friend. I really like the little guy."

It was odd how easily normal conversation came to Isolde at this moment. It was almost therapeutic, just talking and working and going along with whatever it was Orin needed her to do. She took a deep breath and let it out, then looked over at him again, where he'd crossed to poke at the fire in the hearth. It was nice and cozy-warm in the kitchen, and it already smelled good, like layers of cooking smells had been ingrained into each countertop and item and made to fill the air. Isolde took another breath. "So what about you? I doubt your life is boring. What do you get up to? You asked about Shyke; well, how's your cat? ...Ginger, I think?"

Isolde Seibold
the roots of the tree

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Orin Fenix on March 28th, 2015, 3:11 pm

Orin shook his head at his own folly. After Isolde thoroughly washed her hands, she had stood uncertainly before asking for an apron. ”I’m the worst possible taskmaster, of course you need an apron, I’m terribly sorry. Honestly I’d forget my own head if I could, thank all the gods it’s firmly attached to my neck.” As Orin went to the hooks in the pantry where the aprons were stored he shot a full but quick smile towards Isolde. Taking down the nearest one, which was spotted with old stains but still clean, he took it over to her and held it out. ”Do you want me to tie it off in the back or can you handle it?” It was hard to get the knot done properly without assistance if you’d never done it before. Orin had taken a long time before he could do that simplest of tasks.

Orin waved off Isolde’s protests. ”This is lamb, hope that’s alright with you. We plan our menus in advance here so we can basically cook whole animals. It’s easier on us as chefs and helps to standardize the menu. But as for you not being a cook, nonsense! If you can move and you can smell and you can taste you can make food. Actually those last two aren’t requirements just very helpful. But, yes, I can keep it simple. And I’m sure that you were much better than you say you were. Don’t be modest now.” As he was speaking, Orin was rummaging about in a drawer. He was having quite a bit of difficulty locating a simple spoon. Finally, though, Orin found one and placed it beside the jar. He personally was just planning to lick his fingers right before he washed them but he understood that not everyone was comfortable with that. Still, if Orin was cleaning up anyway then it didn't really matter.

Seeing that Isolde was well on her way to finishing up the second half of the lamb, Orin went to the end and began stuffing the onions, garlic and lemon in. Once it was all in there and Orin was happy with it, Orin looked at the needle and sighed. "Any chance you actually know how to sew instead of my pathetic attempts? No I should do it either way. This is a part of my job and I really should learn how to do it on my own." With that, Orin tried to thread the needle. Of course he failed miserably. The end of the string was frayed and it didn't want to go through the small hole. Orin sighed and thought carefully about how he could get it in there. Eventually, he resorted to simply twisting the end together as best he could. It still took him an embarrassingly long time to get the thread where it was supposed to go. He got it in the end and set to work on the actual sewing. Holding the ends of the lamb's skin together, Orin shoved the needle through them. Then he reversed it and went through the other way. This continued until Orin reached the top. He frowned at his work. His stitches were incredibly far apart and uneven. They probably weren't actually doing a good job of sealing the lamb at all. Still it was more of a recommendation to improve the flavor than a necessary requirement to cook the lamb so Orin wasn't too worried.

Still, Orin did have the issue of what to do with the excess thread on both ends. The one father away from the needle was easy to fix. Orin simply snapped it, watching in dismay as it frayed. Perhaps that's why he had so much trouble but Orin didn't know a better way to deal with it. He vaguely remembered that one could tie it off and the stitches would hold better but Orin didn't know how and he'd still have the excess thread. The needle end got snapped as well and Orin put the remaining thread and the needle back where they came from. Of course, then he remembered that he should probably wash off the needle so the grease wouldn't damage it. Orin dunked it in the water and gave it a quick rinse. He was careful not to stab himself in the process. While there, Orin gave his own hands a good scrubbing, since he didn't want them to be slippery when he was handling the spit. Returning the needle, Orin went to the fire and carefully picked up the spit. "Stand back, this part is a little tricky and dangerous and I don't want to hit you or something." Hopefully she was done with the sauce at this point. Either way, Orin had to get that lamb cooking.

Coming up to the counter, Orin carefully started sliding the lamb on. It stuck a few times until Orin readjusted the angle. At the end, Orin punctured it through the lambs neck. Grabbing both ends of the spit, barely able to reach, Orin stood up with a grunt. The lamb was heavy but luckily Orin only had a short distance to go. Walking cautiously, Orin got to the hearth and places the spit carefully on the waiting hooks. "There! That's out of the way now. Remind me to turn that every one and a while so it cooks evenly alright?" Orin wouldn't really forget but he'd found that people, especially those who were just starting to learn, liked to be included in a way that meant they were actually making a difference. "Let's wash again, then move onto the next step. Sorry I'm a bit insane about cleanliness in the kitchen. I just really don't want the ingredients to mix unless they're supposed to, you know?" Orin hoped he wasn't being too bossy and domineering. He got a little authoritative and protective in his kitchen. Of course he more than made up for it the rest of the time with his crippling shyness and social awkwardness.

Giving his hands a quick rinse, Orin dried them on a waiting cloth. Normally, the revelation that Isolde was a made would've brought Orin a great deal of unease. However, after having been tossed around by Aren's Reimancy recently and discovering there were ways to circumvent it, albeit quite difficult ones, Orin was over most of his fear. He was now simply curious. Two mages in quick succession seemed a bit strange, seeing as they were supposed to be rare and aloof and mysterious. Orin wouldn't have necessarily attributed any of those adjectives to Aren or Isolde. "Another one of you? You mages seem to be everywhere nowadays."

Realizing that his comment might be taking amiss Orin quickly moved to reassure Isolde."Not that there's anything wrong with being a mage I personally just never really expected to meet any in my lifetime, it's very exciting though and flattering I will admit. And I think it's very admirable of you to be helping the Syliran Order with your talents. I think it's a perfect fit! So, I have to know, what type of magic do you know? I only really know of Reimancy although I've heard of a few more and I'll be the first to say that the whole subject frankly baffles me." Orin grinned as his rapidfire chatter finally wound down. He hoped Isolde would help him make at least some sense of the vagaries and intricacies of the world of magic. Orin didn't think he would ever get up the courage to try and practice it himself, but if he was running into mages this frequently he would do well to learn as much as he could about the subject. It might save his life someday.

Coming back to the subject of food was a relief to Orin. And he thought he had the perfect dessert in mind for Isolde. Orin would just have to dredge up the recipe from the depths of his mind somehow. "If you like fruit then we are making strawberries and cream. I think we still have some berries left from the pie-eating contest and we should use them before they spoil." Orin smiled again at Isolde, hoping that plan was acceptable to her. It really was the best use of The Rearing Stallion's resources. At the mention of Shyke's antics Orin chuckled. It sounded just like what Orin would expect from a bird. "Maybe I should stop by with a loaf sometime and join you. That is if you wouldn't mind the company. And Ginfer is doing well. I'm sure she's lurking about somewhere. She usually is." It was true. That cat followed Orin everywhere.
Orin Fenix

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Isolde Seibold on March 29th, 2015, 3:44 pm

Isolde tried to hide a smile at Orin's apologies for not having thought to give her an apron. She didn't want to offend him by giggling at his words, so she tucked the smile away as best she could. Still, his reaction was endearing. She turned her face slightly away, trying to keep the dimple from her cheek, and said, "Oh no, it's really no bother at all. I'm surprised I remembered. Still, my mother always insisted on such things. She didn't want me to get my clothes stained you know, and for good reason. Accidentally spilling something wouldn't have been unusual for me when I was growing up. Or purposefully spilling something, just to cause some trouble."

An apron was soon brought out of a nearby pantry, and Isolde slipped into it, reaching behind to try to tie the ends. Her fingers scrabbled uselessly against her back, trying to get the strings together and tied. These arms weren't as flexible as other bodies', just one of a couple of things she had noticed about it, along with poorer eyesight and a bit of stiffness in the joints. Still, the hearing seemed to be as good as ever, and all she had to do was be careful when it came to moving. Not too bad, really. Finally she acceded with a sigh, saying, "Yes, Orin, if you might help...? I can't seem to do the knot. Thank you." The Nuit held still, her arms by her sides, and then stepped away as soon as he was finished. She wasn't used to proximity with other people, not to mention actually touching. Mostly she had trained herself to stay away. Most didn't want to be near her.

As Orin stuffed and Isolde finished up with spreading the sauce on the other side, she listened to him speak, then responded in a good-natured voice. "No, I don't mind about lamb, or working with whole animals for that matter. You grew up at Mithryn, so you know how it is. I got used to the idea of hunting and the slaughter and preparation of animals, at least when it came to necessity, to food. As for being modest..." She let out a wry chuckle, the sound lower and more wicked than she'd expected. "Well, whatever you say. But you weren't there for the exploding cake. Not to mention my infamous stew, if you could call it a stew; calling it that sort of implies that it was actually edible. Let's just say it was so thick --and salty!-- that my poor family could hardly choke it down, not that they didn't give it a valiant try. Maybe I tended to go a little overboard with the spices."
She laughed again. "It's a good thing you're here; also a good thing that this sauce is pre-made. Nothing I can really mess up with it." She gave the carcass a pat to emphasize her point, and a bit of the sauce splattered onto her apron. "Well," she amended, taking her hand back carefully, "Not much, at least."

The Nuit stood back as Orin tried his best at sewing. She leaned over slightly with her elbow on one of the counters, her chin balanced on her folded wrist so as not to get sauce on her face. Well, hopefully not, at least. Sewing was another of those household skills she had needed improvement at, but at least she knew the basics. She was almost certain she could have threaded a needle a bit faster than Orin, and she offered a smidgen of advice
--"Maybe next time you could try slicking the thread to make it easier. Mother used to do that with her mouth, but since you're cooking maybe you could try with some water, or even sauce"-- before lapsing back into silence as he worked. She played idly with her fingers, sticking them together and pulling them apart, and thought he was probably just about as good as she was with a needle, if not a bit better. Still she thought she remembered how to tie off, which he didn't.

As Orin instructed her to stay back so he could lift the spitted lamb to the fire, Isolde retreated further, making sure she didn't touch anything with her sticky, sauce-covered hands, but offered, "If you were interested in learning to tie off, there's two methods that I know of. One is for a single thread, like you used, the other for double. I find double easier. Perhaps I could show you? Though of course these methods are supposed to be used for actual sewing, like with cloth. Still, they might be useful." She waited patiently as Orin doused and cleaned his hands, and had a duh! moment when she saw him lick a finger immediately before washing his hands off. Uh, yeah. She could do that. She didn't really need a spoon if she was just going to wash right afterwards. Still, maybe the spoon would come in useful later. She hoped so, since she had made Orin take the time to get it out in the first place.

Once Orin was done, Isolde let him pass by then stepped up to the sink. "Don't apologize for telling me what to do," Isolde said warmly, shrugging. "This is your workplace. I'm perfectly willing to follow your rules." She hesitated a fraction of a tick, and then licked one finger, somewhat self-conscious considering the color of her tongue. But the embarrassment melted away as her taste buds exploded into a facsimile of life. The sauce was a little sweet and a little tart, smooth, with a garlicky and somewhat light peppery taste. Isolde closed her eyes, brow working as she tried to sort out the feeling that washed over her with the taste. She reopened her eyes and focused on scrubbing her hands again, chin tucked slightly, all the while trying to make sense of things. Sad. Tasting the sauce... it had made her sad. Happy. But sad.

Perhaps it was because of this that she gladly launched into the next topic offered, even though it was one she would have typically avoided. Most mages were as uncomfortable as their audiences when it came to expounding upon magic. "Another one?" she asked, trying to keep the brief feeling of heartache out of her voice, "The last mage you met... was he
--or she-- a squire, like me? I didn't think there were many of... of us in the city. Magic-users, I mean."
She frowned, making sure her hands were very, very clean.

"As for the type... well, types, really. Currently I use reimancy, which seems to be a more common practice when it comes to these things. I can manipulate air and earth with air as my strong suit, though I've always wished to control fire. My teacher was a fire-user. He was a very good friend. I can also do a bit of morphing --that's learning to control the shape, structure, and composition of the body-- though I'm very inexperienced at it and there's still much to learn. As a part of my training for the knights, I'll likely learn at least two more disciplines: shielding, which as you can imagine involves protection, using magic as a way to block harmful forces... and auristics. That one I'm very interested in. As I understand it, it involves being able to read people's emotions from the very air surrounding them."

Isolde paused, then hesitantly put in, finishing up with the sink and finding a cloth for drying, "I once began to study a topic called alchemy, and have a book that details its use, at least for beginners. I thought it might... help me, I suppose. Help me not be like this anymore." She waved to herself in general, implying her Nuit-ness. "Alchemy involves creating new forms of matter and imbuing properties of one thing into another. So you might use it to make a light material stronger, for instance. Or a dead one alive." She mumbled the last. "Then, of course... there's animation. As I understand it, it's what... created Nuit. Making fake souls, I think, to put into bodies? But I'm not really certain. I never had the heart to look into it."

Suddenly she broke off, then seized onto the next topic with a false cheerfulness. "I think I remember berries and cream! My aunt would make it. She was the best cook in the village, back in my day. At least when it came to desserts. And as for coming to visit us," now she actually cheered up a little, the look of stress fading from her face, "If you brought an entire loaf Shyke might just love you forever. You might not be able to get rid of him. And I could always use the company. You could never be a bother." She stepped away from the sink and looked at Orin, waiting for her next orders.

OOCSorry if these posts seem long to you. They seem long to me. But so much to talk about!

Isolde Seibold
the roots of the tree

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Orin Fenix on March 29th, 2015, 10:33 pm

Orin laughed and tied off the apron. ”It’s no problem at all. I can do it alone but nine times out of ten I have someone else help just because it can be so difficult. And yes. I also spilled quite a bit as a child but unfortunately I didn’t have the luxury of an apron. So I just tried to scrub the stains out as best I could. I’m sure you can imagine how well that went. There you go, all set.” Orin stepped away to admire his handiwork but Isolde was faster. He grinned. Looked like Orin wasn’t the only one in the room who got a bit uncomfortable when it came to physical proximity. But Orin didn't mind. In fact he had a lot more problems around the physically affectionate people than he did around those who were more than a bit shy. And the bow was nicely tied now.

When Isolde started listing off all of her cooking debacles Orin just grinned at her. If she wanted to play the terrible cooking experience game Orin was more than happy to. "Well. If it makes you feel better I have also had explosionsonly mine were with not, one, not two but five whole pies. I forgot to let the steam vent and the results were fairly predictable. And let me tell you, scraping pie filling off the inside of an oven is not a fun or an easy task. And I have lost track of the number of times I have burned something so badly that the kitchen nearly caught fire or we had to evacuate because of the fumes or the smoke. So you are in very good company my friend." It was all true. When Orin had first started cooking unsupervised some pretty awful dishes had been the result. He was much better now but still, far from infallible. Especially when he was experimenting or deviating from a recipe he already knew. And it was good to see Isolde jumping into everything with a good spirit. Orin chuckled as she got some sauce on the apron. "Don't worry, that's what it's there for. And trust me, it has seen worse. It was cleaned afterwards obviously, I mean, you aren't wearing a dirty apron we wouldn't have that in here I was just commenting that strange sauces mysteriously appear, well, that's what I tell Remi when I mess up at least but seriously that is not at all a disgusting apron I swear." Orin's jokes needed a bit of work, obviously. He still spoke without thinking and oftentimes what came out wasn't anywhere near what Orin had been intending.

Orin turned to Isolde with a puzzled but hopeful expression on his face. If he could learn more than the incredibly basic stitching he had picked up mostly from watching Remi and Rondi from a distance it would make his life significantly easier. Orin had been too ashamed to admit to them that he didn't know how to sew. But it wasn't as if Orin had anyone to teach him. His mother was out of the picture and his father laughed at the idea of a man cooking, cleaning, and sewing. So Orin had been forced underground with his activities. While he could figure his way out around the kitchen while younger he didn't seem to have the same affinity for the needle and thread. "I don't even know what slicking the thread is but I'm willing to give almost anything a try. And if you could teach me the tie off I would love you forever! Well, not actually love, love but just, you know, be grateful kind of thing. I think you get the drift." It was true though. Orin would owe Isolde a huge favor if she could give him a hand with this. The issue was where could they practice, as Orin got the needle and thread back out. He glanced around the kitchen. He didn't want to touch the likely hot lamb. Speaking of, Orin gave it one good turn on the spot, wrapping his hands in the apron so the iron couldn't burn him. And as he did so, the perfect idea popped into place. "Oh, I know! We can use the apron to work on. It's not like it needs to be in good shape anyway right?"

As Orin waited for Isolde to wash her hands, he caught a glimpse of movement out of the corner of his eye. Isolde had licked her finger just as Orin had. Orin quickly trained his gaze on Isolde's face but he couldn't determine whether or not she liked it or not. In fact, her face was entirely inscrutable. Orin hoped he hadn't messed up by trying to get Isolde to taste. He'd honestly thought that she would enjoy herself. Hesitantly and shyly, Orin asked, "What'd you think? Of the sauce I mean." At least she seemed fine with Orin giving orders although Orin would try to tone it down. It wasn't as if he owned the kitchen no matter how much he wished he did.

As the subject swung to the other mage Orin knew, Orin frowned but tried to keep Isolde from seeing the expression. Orin seemed to just be spilling Aren's secret to everyone Orin saw these days. And that was horribly unfair to the Akalak who obviously didn't make it common knowledge for a reason. Still, the cat was out of the bag now. Orin would just do his best to keep Aren's name out of it. He couldn't lie, since any attempt would simply leave him blushing and stuttering horribly. So the trick would be to tell enough of the truth to get away with it. "Again, I'm so happy you joined the Knights I think it's a wonderful place for you. And who knows? Maybe they have some secrets about, well, Nuits in those sealed archives of theirs. As for that other magic user, no, he was a, ah, mercenary I hired for a few tasks. Nothing shady just protection in the woods and some training. I never asked him flat out but I'm almost certain that he's licensed." Actually, now that Orin's mind was dwelling on it, Aren had only used magic outside the city limits. Still, the man wasn't dumb and he wasn't a lawbreaker so Orin couldn't see any reason the mercenary wouldn't have gotten a license.

As Isolde listed all the different types of magic that she'd learn as a part of the Order, Orin felt his eyes widening. Orin hadn't had a clue that the types of magic were so varied and that it was possible to pick up as many as Isolde was describing. "You make it sound so easy! To learn I mean. Or to learn a new form I mean, I could never imagine myself as ever using magic although I will say that you're sorely tempting me. But I think I'd have to join the Order and I'm about as far from a Knight as it's possible to be." Still, there were rare mages who weren't members of the Syliran Order. Aren was proof of that. And it was likely a whole different world when it came to magic outside the city, or, in other cities more accurately. So, while Orin thought it unlikely that he personally would be initiated into the world of magic, maybe it wasn't as impossible as he'd assumed. And, as he'd promised himself that night Aren had unleashed his powers on Orin, Orin wanted to learn everything he could about the subject, so at least he could defend himself.

Reimancy, alchemy, shielding, auristics, animation, morphing, all these terms seemed wildly out of place in the kitchen of The Rearing Stallion and Orin was glad when the conversation came back to the dessert options. "Brilliant! Would you like to help or just watch? I'm perfectly capable of handling this on my own, it's not a difficult recipe actually, so it's up to you." As he went into the pantry for the ingredients, Orin called over his shoulder, "Alright maybe not a whole loaf then but we've definitely got leftover scraps at the end of the day of Shyke wouldn't mind something a bit stale." It took Orin several trips, but eventually he had the eggs, the sugar, the cinnamon, the cream, the strawberries, a bit of ginger, the bottle of red wine, and the very precious rosewater. This last, Orin held referentially. He wanted to learn how to make it on his own but until then he was stuck with the still wonderful product the tavern bought from the bazaar. Laying all these out alongside some bowls and some spoons. It actually was a fairly simple recipe although it would take about a bell to complete. Orin cracked his knuckles, mentally running through the steps as he did. Then he prepared himself to get down to work.
Orin Fenix

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Isolde Seibold on March 30th, 2015, 5:42 pm

As Orin spoke of a childhood --or perhaps even young adulthood-- comprised of spills without aprons and scrubbing the insides of ovens, Isolde smiled, shaking her head. "Oh yes, I see I'm in fine company," she said, making an extravagant, jesting bow in Orin's general direction, with a lot of --carefully managed-- arm waving and puffery. As she straightened, she was grinning from ear to ear. "What an absolute honor to be here, humbled before the king of the kitchen. All hail the king." She laughed, then shook her head again at her silliness. "Don't think you can impress me with talk of fires and fumes," she warned, still smiling, "I started my own fair share of those myself. And I know exactly what you mean about scrubbing out an oven. Somehow mother always assigned me the most tedious, grueling chores. Probably thought I could use something to keep me out of trouble. Not that it worked much, but she so tried."

As he pointed out the fresh stain on the apron --making certain to stumble over the assurance that the rest of it was clean-- Isolde just patted the front of the thing with one hand against her hip. "I wouldn't worry about it for my sake. Aprons, at least the ones that I've worn, seem to want to get messy. Though perhaps that's only me... Still, as long as it keeps the food from my clothes and my clothes from the food, I suppose that's all we need ask for."

When it came to needlework, Isolde leaned back against the counter leisurely, watching the needle and thread in his hands. "Don't think of 'slicking' as a technical term," she said, "I just meant that it's easier to thread the needle if the end of the thread is wet. Keeps it straight, you know? Makes things a lot simpler, sort of like how you tried twisting the frayed end to give it better form. My mother would wet it with her mouth; I mentioned you might use that, or water, or even sauce if you had some on hand. Whatever's easiest. As for tying the ends..." She stepped a little closer though she was still well back, and held out one cool, pale hand to point. "You should do some stitches across the front of your apron, single-thread like you did before with the lamb," she said, "And after you're finished I'll show you how to tie it off."

The Nuit waited, serene expression on her face like that of a teacher awaiting her pupil to answer a question or complete some task. If Orin agreed to do some stitching as she'd suggested, she'd stand nearby and overlook his progress until he'd done a short line, and then hold up a hand for him to stop. "Alright," she said, peering down at his work, then glancing over at the roasting lamb and wondering when it would need turning.

"It's simple really, though I like the other style, double-threaded, more. With single-thread, you just loop a hole in the string, as close to the base of the thread --where it's coming up out of the material-- as possible. In this case, that would mean snug to the apron. Once you have a small loop, you just thread the needle through and pull it tight, almost like tying a shoe, though it'll just be a knot instead of a bow. That's it. You can do it all again if you want the knot to be stronger. I only ever knotted once, but then again, I only ever knotted on cloth, with thinner thread. Not on lamb for cooking."

She gazed down at his hands. "Make sure you keep the loop snug as you can, it helps to press it down with your finger as you pull it tight, which makes for a better knot. If not, the worst that happens is you have a tiny bit of extra slack in your stitching that makes things just a bit loose." Isolde waited to see if he got it; if not, she'd instruct him to try again. Finally she said, "Next we can do the double-thread, if you want."

As he stitched the conversation had flowed on, bringing with it the topic of the sauce. The Nuit once more looked over at the spit, and said, "Well, first maybe that could use a turn? Though I don't know about these things. Still, you told me to remind you." She reached up and knocked her knuckles absently against a nearby pot, causing it to sway. "The sauce... it was good. Very flavorful. It sort of startled me, I guess. I hadn't expected it to be so strong. And... I suppose it reminded me of home. Of... living." That sadness filtered in again and she struggled for a moment against it, hoping that it didn't show. She didn't want to upset Orin or make him feel bad in any way.

Soon enough Isolde was brought back to the moment as Orin invoked the future, and she let herself smile again. "I actually hadn't thought of that," she said, "But thinking about it, I suppose you may be right. The Knights might have something about Nuit locked away in some dusty corner somewhere. Something useful for me. I heard they have a library of knowledge, magical or not, if only I might access it. As a squire... I don't know if I'd be allowed. Perhaps I might have to graduate into full knighthood, first. Still, there's hope."

At the somewhat awkward revelation that the other magic-user had been a mercenary, Isolde looked over at Orin curiously. He didn't look like he wanted her to ask more questions about it, so she simply let the subject pass on, before frowning a little at where it took them. "Magic isn't easy. It's pretty difficult, you know. A lot of it is study. And concentration. Much harder than what I ever learned in school. I was lucky to have a good teacher who knew what he was talking about; I was lucky, also, to learn reimancy before everything else. Reimancy involves a painful, awful initiation. But it serves as a warning of what magic can do to you, and that is invaluable." She paused, considering, then continued gravely onwards.

"My teacher had a nickname. Remember I said he was a fire-wielder? Well, they called him the Burned Man. Most of the skin above his waist was covered in one big ugly scar, a burn mark from magic fire. An accident, he said, from when he was young and naive. I never saw his true face; just the melted mask that it had become." She said this unapologetically, though not to be unsavory but as a warning. She didn't want Orin to try something he wasn't prepared for. She couldn't tell him not to learn magic. But she could certainly tell him what she already well knew: the consequences of making a mistake. And the Burned Man had gotten off lightly, despite the pain he'd suffered through. Because the magic had left him his mind.

Perhaps a lighter topic was due. "About the knights, though... don't sell yourself short," Isolde appended, "You have a good heart, perhaps even a great one to be so kind to someone like me... and that's the base of every worthwhile knight. The rest follows."

All that was left was fixing dessert, and Isolde straightened up as Orin fetched ingredient after ingredient. The Nuit was careful to keep her hands tucked close to her sides. She didn't want to knock anything over, especially not the eggs or the wine or the cream... or whatever it was that Orin brought out last, holding reverently in his arms. Staring at all the things he had laid out, she gave him a helpless look, then said uncertainly, "I can help if you want me to. You say it's not difficult, but... perhaps better just to watch. If you need an extra hand, though, don't forget that I have two." She held hers up as proof, grinning once more.

"As for the bread, it doesn't matter. A loaf, half a loaf, stale, or just some old crumbs... Shyke would be happy for anything. Not that it's easy to tell. He can get quite greedy. But I know he appreciates what he gets. Even if he doesn't exactly say. And speaking of appreciation... um. I just wanted to thank you." The Nuit messed with her hands, twisting them together, though she looked up for a flash to meet Orin's eyes. "For inviting me here. And for that other day. I wasn't... in a good place. But things are looking better now. Maybe... maybe I see now that the stars haven't all fallen after all. And that's because of you."

Last edited by Isolde Seibold on March 31st, 2015, 12:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Isolde Seibold
the roots of the tree

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Orin Fenix on March 30th, 2015, 9:31 pm

If Orin had been more certain of his relationship with Isolde he would've flicked water at her or teased her back at her admittedly funny and good-natured jests. "All right, all right, it's not a contest. We both were terrible cooks when we started out and that's just fine." It was true. Orin might have gotten fairly skilled at cooking in the present but it had been a long and bumpy road to get there. And he definitely wasn't 'king' of the kitchen even as a joke. His skills as a chef might be better than average but running a kitchen took a lot more than simply knowing how to make the dishes. One had to know what was in season, the type of ingredients, have a good relationship with vendors and butchers and merchants, know how to plan out menus and meals, and how to lead people in various tasks. And those were just the basics. It also helped if the head chef could put their own unique spin on the cuisine of the area and that would only come through experiencing other cultures' foods. Of course, that wasn't actually a requirement since most cooks just cooked what they knew from their location. But the truly gifted and revered ones, like Rondo, had traveled to many lands and picked up all the different techniques they could before finally settled down. And Orin wanted to be one of those legendary individuals. At least they were legendary among culinary circles.

Still these musings weren't getting Orin anywhere. And while he might be chafing at having to stay in Syliras and was feeling a sense of wanderlust that was oddly growing stronger as more time passed, Orin didn't have an outlet for it. So he'd bide his time, hone his skills, and save his money. On the subject of skills, it seemed that Isolde knew quite a bit more of it than Orin did. However, Orin was completely baffled by all these strange terms she was throwing out. "Single stitch, slicking, ties, double stitch I have no idea what any of this means. I certainly hope this is one of those learn by doing and not by talking about things, if you get what that means, because you lost me all the way back at simply just threading the needle properly." Orin didn't get frantic, but his confusion was clearly showing through. He thought he understood threading although licking something that would then touch the food he was cooking was probably a bad idea. But if normal water worked just as well then that would be a huge time saver. Picking up the thread Orin dunked the end into a nearby bucket of water. There were always buckets of sand or water lying around in case of fire. And Orin had definitely needed them on more than one occasion. Taking it out Orin was delighted to see that it was mostly solid, and, beyond that, it slid easily into the hole. "That's absolutely brilliant! This is amazing I can't believe I never learned how to do this."

Next, Orin carried his excitement to the actual sewing portion of the task. Making a few stitches on the edge of the apron Orinwalked over to Isolde. "So you said I had to make a loop or something? I have no idea how. This would probably just be easier if you showed me." Orin did find he learned best through visual demonstrations. Not all the time, and not for anything academic or a new recipe. But a new physical technique or a new tool definitely required Orin to see it first. He held out the needle and thread for Isolde. Of course, seeing as the thread was attached to the apron that was attached to Orin, Orin had to take a few steps inward towards Isolde. He hoped he wasn't too far in her personal space. Orin was bad about recognizing such boundaries. But at least the fact that he was thinking and aware of it was progress.

As he waited for Isolde to clear up the mysteries of sewing Orin was glad to hear the sauce had turned out well. However he frowned at her closing remark. He wasn't angry at her, per se. Exacerbated maybe? Regardless of the name the feeling was clear. Orin didn't particularly think Isolde's attitude about being a Nuit was necessary a good one. He put his hands on his hips and frowned slightly. "Do you walk and talk? Do you think and feel? Then I say you're doing all the important parts of living. Wouldn't you agree?" Maybe Orin was being stubborn or too open-minded about this but he couldn't see anything all that bad with Isolde's state. Maybe he didn't have all the facts or he was missing something, and yes, she was technically dead. But she was still a person and she still had a life of sorts she was living. It wasn't the same as other people but Orin felt it would be a shame for her to give it up so easily. And even if she hadn't chosen it in the first place she'd chosen to stick with it and she should make the most of it.

Orin took the opportunity given by turning the spit to break away from Isolde, giving her a chance to think about his words. Even if she wasn't done teaching Orin how to properly sew, Orin figured he should give her some time. If anyone had talked to him like that Orin knew he'd be annoyed but once he got a moment to wrap his mind around it Orin would usually agree with whatever advice, as long as it was well-meaning. So Orin wanted to take away any possible outlet for Isolde's anger.

When she discussed the possibilities of information in the archives, Orin shrugged. "I wouldn't know, to be honest. Last time I tried to get in I was turned away at the door and I was just checking to see if they had cookbooks. So that's one area I can't help you with. I mean, there are probably tons of things I can't help you with I was just pointing out a specific example of one. Which you totally didn't need me to explain did you?" Orin was actually a little angry about that whole incident. He'd been very clear about his intentions and would've been perfectly happy having the information given to him or being escorted. Instead, the door had been slammed in his face. It had been humiliating and frankly shocking. Orin's impression of the Knighthood had been irreparably colored that day. If there were secrets in there that shouldn't be seen by the public there was nothing that prevented the Order from relocating or regulating them. And if they were simply withholding information out of spite or a misguided belief that it would force people to join the order then it was troubling and didn't fit the image of paragons of goodness that they tried to portray.

However his train of thought was completely shifted at Isolde's cautionary tales about the dangers of magic. "That's horrible. Truly awful. There wasn't anything a healer or a doctor or anyone with a basic grasp of medicine could do? I can't even imagine living life like that. And I wasn't truly thinking of attempting any magic. I just didn't think, that, well, it was the type of thing anyone could just, I don't know, pick up and train same as any other profession or trade or weapon or anything along those lines. Like, you're talking about the Knights teaching you new ones, magic I mean, and I had assumed you had to be born with it or there was some secret to it or something. It's just baffling to think that if someone taught me or initiated me as I think you called it then I could do it. And if that ever does happen I promise I'll be responsible about it. I mean, can you imagine me being the reckless sort with anything like that?" In fact, the only possible time Orin would consider abusing magic, not that he had any to abuse, would be if someone Orin cared about was in danger and there were no other options. Even if it was his own life Orin probably wouldn't risk it.

Orin was glad the conversation took a lighter turn. And he had to laugh at the mental picture of Orin as a knight. "Yes, I'm sure that heart of mine will get me very far as I'm traipsing around like a fool in my plate armor and trying, and more importantly, failing to use a sword. Don't be ridiculous. I'm a good person but hardly knight material. I barely understand which part of a dagger I'm supposed to use on someone and I've actually been working on that." And Orin held no illusions about being a mage-knight either. Isolde had pretty much crushed any aspirations Orin might have had. Which he hadn't been planning or considering at all so there was no real loss.

Returning to cooking was probably best. "Tell you what. If I need those two hands of yours I'll ask." With that, Orin started cracking eggs and cradling the yolks in his hands so the egg whites went into the bowl for the cream. Orin threw the yolks in a separate bowl. He might glaze some bread with them later, and they'd stay fresh until tonight when Orin got a chance to work with them. Orin rinsed his hands, then whipped the cream up. Moving on, Orin beat the egg whites into a peak then added then cream. He added two spoonfuls of the rosewater then began spooning small amounts of sugar in until the mixture thickened into the proper consistency. Setting that bowl aside Orin went to the second half of the task. Nodding to the spit, Orin called over to Isolde, "Mind giving that half a rotation for me? Be careful, it's very hot. Use the apron or some cloths so you don't get a burn, promise?"

Orin washed the strawberries thoroughly after removing the leafy top. He poured a generous portion of the wine, a cupful, into a separate bowl, before mixing in minute portions of sugar, ginger, and cinnamon. Orin tasted it cautiously, then added a dash more red wine since the spices were a bit overpowering. Orin then poured the wine and spices into a bowl with the strawberries. Brushing his hands against the front of the apron, Orin grinned at Isolde. The strawberries would take around a bell to marinate so the two of them had some free time. "There we go. Looks like I didn't need the help after all, but I do appreciate the offer, truly. And if we end up having to make another batch I can show ya how it's done. How's that sound to you?" Honestly, that was a fairly simple task for Orin nowadays, although other people would've probably been mystified at his speed and assurance. Orin still got proportions a little off though, which is why he did make sure to taste everything before he served it. He vaguely noted Isolde's comments about Shyke. And clearly his brain was elsewhere, on another matter entirely, or Orin would've acknowledged Isolde's compliments. Most likely with a blush.

His hands might have been working, but Orin's mind had been relatively free as he'd prepared them. He'd gotten an inkling of an idea as he had been mixing, stirring, and whatnot and he wanted to broach it to Isolde. "So I've got kind of a weird request for you. A friend of mine, well, a co-worker, sort of, she dances here often so technically we work together although mostly she's up front and I'm back here. You didn't need to know all that, sorry, where was? Ah yes, anyway Sayana and I were planning a trip to Sunset Falls for that arts contest, well, more like a request for submissions not a real contest at all, and I was thinking. Would you like to come along? I don't know what your training schedule is like or if you're interested in the arts at all yourself but it might be good to have a squire, especially one that knows magic, along for protection. I mean, not that I'm abusing our friendship I want you there mostly because you're wonderful company and I'd love to spend more time with you." Suddenly shy Orin looked down and scuffed one foot against the ground sheepishly. "I don't have a lot of friends, you see, and I'd love to spend more time with two people who I think of as close to me. If you're available of course, it's three days and we're departing on the thirtieth." Finally what Isolde had been saying earlier was processed and Orin predictably flushed. "There's no need to thank me, I didn't do that much, really. And I'd like to think that if I was ever in a bad patch you'd help me out just the same."

OOCCame out longer than I expected sorry! If I missed something or there's a problem/you want me to bring up the trip later or wanted to learn the strawberries and cream recipe let me know
Orin Fenix

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Isolde Seibold on March 31st, 2015, 2:29 am

The stitching lingo turned out to throw Orin through something of a loop --though not the loop that Isolde had been aiming for, with the knotting technique-- and so the Nuit took a moment to consider the best way to go about things. Naturally, it would be just to show him how it was done, but she didn't know if he would want her to get that close to him. Fortunately, she didn't have to make the choice. Orin wandered over and asked for her to demonstrate, holding out the needle and thread. Of course, the thread was still attached to him, so as she reached out to take the needle --trying to keep her cool hands from touching his too much-- he had to come closer still. Isolde cast a quick glance up at his face to see if he looked bothered by her proximity, but she didn't think so... so she just looked down again, concentrating on the apron.

"Okay, it's actually really simple. You take
the thread, and bend it into a loop like this, see?"
Isolde had lifted the apron slightly up to focus on the stitching, and she made certain Orin had a clear view. "Then, you just push
the needle through the center of the loop
, and pull tight. When you do, like I said before, it's handy to press
the loop down with a finger to keep it snug in place at the bottom of the thread."
She did as she was instructing, movements slow with many pauses to show the couple of steps. First came the bending of the thread into a loop. Then she stuck the needle through to complete the knot. Isolde pressed one finger to the threaded loop to keep it where she wanted it, and then pulled slowly on the needle and thread to tighten it. "See?" she asked, tugging on the thread now, and pointing to the little knot that sat neatly against the material. "It's pretty easy once you know how. Maybe you want to try it?"

If Orin accepted the needle and went to work, Isolde would try to explain a bit more about what she'd been saying earlier. "Single- and double-thread, Orin, not -stitch, but that's beside the point. Single-thread just means that you're using the least amount of thread to sew. Like the one we have here
. Double-thread means that after you thread the needle you pull the tail --the shorter part of the thread-- until both ends of it match up in length. Effectively, you're using 'double' the thread, or you're 'doubling
' the thread over. I think it makes for stronger stitching, though I'm not certain. You sew just the same way as before, just the thread is used a bit differently."
She wasn't certain she was doing such a good job of explaining, but she could show him if she got the needle back.

Before she could, however, she glanced up at his face again and was brought up short when he looked... well, not angry, but he didn't look happy either. The cause of this was soon apparent by his sharp words. "Do you walk and talk? Do you think and feel? Then I say you're doing all the important parts of living. Wouldn't you agree?"

The Nuit automatically looked down, bunching her hands in her apron, and Orin moved off and away, back towards the hearth once more. She stood in silence for a moment, and the sadness came back in full force, causing her to duck her head as if she'd been a child who'd unexpectedly been scolded. Finally she mumbled out, maybe not even loud enough for him to hear, "I don't know. It's not the same." And it wasn't.

She had had one great ambition in life: to be a mother. It may not have seemed like a great aim to some, but it was what she had always wanted, perhaps because she'd had so many siblings herself. Back then Isolde had failed at motherhood, but at least she'd able to have kids, to have Wyn. Now... now she would never again, not like this stuck in a progression of corpses, though it wasn't as if she deserved another child anyway.

This state... it wasn't living, no matter how much Orin made it seem like being a Nuit was hardly any different than being truly alive. Isolde had different goals now, she had become a squire and maybe she could even learn to be brave and good and help people and protect them in order make their lives better... but she still wondered if it would ever be enough.

The Nuit simply didn't know how to give voice to such things. To explain her basic inadequacy and foulness. And she doubted that Orin might understand; he was just so positive all the time, he'd probably argue back. So she didn't say anything, just pressed her mouth into an unhappy line.

Eventually the conversation perked up again, but it seemed Orin's anger hadn't yet faded. He spoke only briefly of the knights and their refusal to allow him to seek the knowledge he wanted, and yet she could tell the story had irked him. Isolde didn't have an answer for why they might have turned the cook away, and thus was only able to look over with a sympathetic expression. She searched for another topic, and he soon supplied one.

"The Burned Man... believe it or not, he was lucky to get off just with the scars, even though they seemed to cause him pain even after they'd long been healed. I'm sure he had a healer or someone who took care of him. Otherwise, he likely would not have lived. As for learning magic... if you want to go with the example you gave of of being 'born' into it, then I guess you should understand that we're all 'born' like that. Though it's quite dangerous to use, it's somehow a part of us, all of us. We have souls made up of something called djed, like a primal energy; our souls are magic, as are the souls of animals, and the souls of plants and everything we see. It's when we bare those souls to the world, or attempt to access the secreted powers that thrive inside them, that magic happens. And it's because of that that anyone can learn to cast spells, but there's always, always a price." She wasn't certain how much he was following; she couldn't remember what she'd known about djed and the soul and that sort of thing before the Burned Man had taught her. Probably not much.

Now it was Isolde's turn to be a little exasperated at the young man when he scoffed off the idea that all it took to be a knight, really, was a good heart. "You think I'm any more suited for knighthood than you are? No. All it takes is wanting to do good, to be good. To protect people, and the city, and what it all stands for: peace, order, and a good quality of life for everybody as long as they work hard and get along. As a squire, you get a patron knight to help with the rest-- learning to poke people with the pointy side of the dagger, for example. It's not like some people are born with the ability to sword fight and others aren't. It's something you learn. Every knight starts at the same place."

Orin soon launched into preparing the dessert, and Isolde drifted around nearby, peering into the bowl and at the ingredients and wondering at the sureness of his hands. She went to the hearth when he instructed and was careful, as he had warned, not to burn herself as she turned the lamb. That was something she knew well: if speaking of the Burned Man was not enough of a reminder, the last time she had hurt herself it had been with fire, a nasty wound that had taken all the skin off her palm and left it open and raw and oozing. She wasn't eager to experience that again.

By the time she got back to his side, he was nearly done with the dessert, and said so. Now it appeared they had some time to wait, so Isolde roved through the kitchen until she found a place to sit --some sort of stool, tucked under one of the counters-- and she plopped herself down, laying her chin on her hands as Orin finished up. She watched him quietly, marveling at how very practiced his movements were, when suddenly he spoke, surprising her. The Nuit listened intently, and about the same time that Orin said, "I want you there mostly because you're wonderful company and I'd love to spend more time with you," Isolde had to cover her mouth with one hand in order to hide the giant, trembling smile that had appeared there. It meant a lot, so much. It touched her to hear that she actually did have a friend, and that he wanted to spend time with her. That he found her company worthwhile.

At his blush, Isolde removed her hand and said, "But you did do a lot. A lot more for me, maybe, than most people I've known since... since I became like this. It would be a pleasure to return the favor, so I'd be happy to go with you two on this trip, if you'll have me. I've actually been trying to come up with some way to get into art, maybe poetry, and this seems as good a start as any. And don't worry about it interfering with my duties as a squire or my training schedule... it seems we squires can test many methods of bettering ourselves in the name of the knighthood. Going on a trip like this would probably be useful experience for staying outside of a city. So I'm sure my Sera wouldn't have a problem with it; she's very understanding."

OOCSorry if you didn't need the images; I included them because I don't think I'm very good at explaining things. Never have been. I could never ever be a teacher!

Isolde Seibold
the roots of the tree

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Orin Fenix on March 31st, 2015, 1:26 pm

Orin looked at Isolde's work with a growing hint of humiliation. After seeing how it was done Orin realized how easy it truly was. Taking up the needle and thread for himself, he made a few quick stitches, which turned out quite sloppy although Orin wasn't really paying much attention. He had more important matters on his mind. Placing his finger on the thread, Orin made a small loop and pulled the needle through it. It made a snug little knot that Orin couldn't budge. "Well that was embarrassingly simple. I probably should've been able to figure that out on my own. This might be another dumb question but can you do that at the beginning of the stitches too? I mean, I guess you'd have to pull enough thread through to get to the end of the stitches first, correct? I mean that's what I assume. And I think that I'll stick to the single stick, I mean single-thread and not get into double-thread.. I'm not sewing clothes after all and I need to be able to get them out. So stronger stitches seems counterproductive for that. Still, this is amazing to know thanks for showing me." Orin wasn't sure if Isolde was quite done with teaching him so Orin held out the needle just in case.

Hearing her doubts and seeing the hurt expression on her face made Orin's heart plummet. He hadn't wanted to cause Isolde more heartbreak and anguish and it appeared Orin had done just that. He felt terrible, and rushed to find a way to make this better for her. "I didn't mean to upset you I'm sorry! I know you didn't choose this and I know you've lost so much. But surely you've gained something too? Is there no good with the bad? I mean on a completely selfish note you would never have met me, now would you?" Orin scrubbed a hand through his hair anxiously. He didn't think he was the person to make this right and he didn't have the words to do so. But he was the only one here. And Orin couldn't live with himself if he didn't at least try. "Look, I just hate seeing you despair so. There's nothing stopping you from having new dreams, new hopes, new aspirations, other than your inability to let the old ones go. And I'm not saying it's as easy as I might be making it out to be. But maybe, just maybe, it's not as hard as you're think either? And if you can't accept that then maybe there's a way to, I don't know, reverse the process? I mean could it hurt to try? You already know about that alchemy or that animation and surely there's something magic could do..." Orin trailed off with a shrug. He didn't know the first thing about magic so maybe it wasn't as all powerful as he'd assumed. But all he'd wanted was to help set Isolde on a more positive path. Hopefully his words made some impact on her.

Orin took a moment to process the information about magic that Isolde was telling him. "That's fascinating. And if you don't mind me asking, how'd you come across the Burned Man in the first place. That wasn't his actual name was it? I mean I assume it wasn't. And why do you say he was lucky? It seems that being in physical pain for your whole life is a prettt dark fate." Djed, souls, primal energy, all this tasted of forbidden secrets to Orin's mind. It was probably a road Orin shouldn't even be thinking about if it was as dangerous as Isolde made it out to be. But Orin's insatiable curiosity had gotten him into trouble before. And Orin did know a little something about caution and how to keep one's self from getting burned, so to speak. Still, magic might not be something Orin should or could pursue as intriguing as it still did. Those warnings stuck in Orin's mind.

Orin sighed as Isolde tried to convince him he could be a knight. It wasn't his physical abilities or even his courage Orin doubted although he wasn't sure he was as good as Isolde made him out to be. It was just that Orin didn't have that inner fire telling him he should step into the ranks of the warriors. Orin wasn't a fighter. While he could and would fight when his life was on the line or his beliefs might be threatened, he didn't have it in him to do it for a living. Orin probably shouldn't have used humor to get his point across. "It's not the physical skills that concern me, really. It's just that, it doesn't call to me, if you know what I mean. But I fight battles in my own unique way. Not everything can be solved with a suit of armor and a blade. Also I'd like to think I can do my part for the city and my friends and loved ones, well, if I had loved ones and friends, not that I don't have friends, that's all besides the point. I can be a good person without being a member of the Order." Orin held out his hands helplessly. He didn't know if he'd managed to voice the thoughts and feelings circling his brain.

Orin went to go turn the lamb slowly and steadily. It was a thankless and probably unnecessary task but Orin needed something soothing to do so he could control his fluster and bewilderment at Isolde's words. All Orin had done was talk to her and not even very eloquently at that. Any growth she’d experienced since then should be attributed to her and her alone, not Orin’s fumbling attempts to make it all better. Orin wasn’t a priest or a politician or anything or anyone who really knew how to care for others. He was just a cook who had a funny perspective of the world sometimes and had trouble not keeping his mouth shut. So he wasn't sure where this praise was coming from at all. ”Ah you’re welcome although I’m still not sure I actually did as much as you’re implying I did. Still Orin wasn’t going to argue the point with her and it wasn’t as if he didn’t enjoy being complimented. Orin tracked Isolde as she sat at a convenient and comfortable stool. Well, comfortable as stools could be. ”That’s amazing that you can come though. And you should introduce me to this Sera some time she seems like an awfully nice lady, well, Knight, lady knight? Is there some sort of official term for female Knights beyond Sera? And should I be calling you something different now that you’re a squire? Are there different titles for mages in the Sylrian Order?” Orin sure did seem to be asking a lot of questions of Isolde today. But, still, he rarely got the chance to simply chat with someone like this and Orin didn’t have a clear idea on how much chatter was too much.

Bring the conversation back to the trip Orin started telling Isolde all of the details he knew. He would need to know if she needed any supplies since it would be unlikely Sayana would be able to purchase more. So it’d all fall on Orin. ”So we’re renting horses for the three days, ah, I should say it takes three days to get there and back, since I don’t know how to ride. At all. Not even a little bit. Are you going to need anything supply wise? You don’t have to eat although I’ll bring a spoon along for you, but will you need a bedroll or anything else really? We were planning to share a tent, Sayana and I. Should I buy another one? How big are tents. I’ve never really camped before so there are all sorts of things I know nothing about.” It was true. Orin’s trips to the woods almost always ended with him back behind city walls before dark. However, a funny thought struck him before he could start worrying too much. He chuckled, then shared it with Isolde. ”A fledgling poet, an exotic dancer, and a cook go into the woods. It sounds like the start of a terrible joke. I don’t know if Leena knows what she signed up for when she opened it up to submissions of any nature.”
Orin Fenix

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes