New Beginnings [Liriel/Abashai]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Re: New Beginnings [Liriel/Abashai]

Postby Abashai on October 21st, 2009, 1:22 pm

Abashai sighed heavily. The conversation had taken a turn he had not expected, stumbled across subjects of ideology, culture and psyche that had seemed to polarized the trio rather than unite them.

The half-benshiran could obviously see the tension between the bondmates. He gave Liriel credit. Liriel detected the emotions and attempted to bridge the apparent rift. She was insightful, like Nya, was able to think beyond herself.

It was not unprecedented, as in any relationship, for the pair to have disagreements. Nya and Abashai were very different people. Those differences usually complimented each other's strengths and weaknesses, but on ocassion, their strong wills collided.

He saw the frustration, bordering on anger, as Nya ftossed the rest of her food into the fire. For an instant he thought the half-eaten meat and vegetables were aimed at him. But he knew if the Forest Cat wanted to hit him with the food, she would not miss.

Abashai knew what stung his bondmate was more than her frustration at what she saw as more of the humans' confusing and seemingly senseless rules. He knew Nya strained at the myriad of subtle etiquette, traditions and unspoken expectations that create the tangled and complex web of human interaction. In fact, the more Abashai saw things through the kelvic's eyes, the harder he found it to defend the behavior of humans. Tonight's conversation was a case in point. But the proud man would not admit it in front of the stranger and Nya, it only drove him to defend it more fiercely.. .perhaps to convince himself.

No, he knew the real sting he delivered came as a personal attack. Abashai's hard, self-righteous words had taken his dearest friend with no culture of her own, far from her home and family, living among people she was only beginning to understand, and pushed her away. He had told her she was without the ability to understand. Abashai had treated her like a child.

Heartbroken, the man cursed his pride, grieved at the hurt he had caused to his bondmate. The two of them had come a long way in understanding each other since they met early last season. Abashai wondered how much of that understanding he had damaged tonight. Her words spoke not only of frustration with humans, but of the insignificance her bondmate had placed upon her.

Abashai suddenly wanted to run to her, scoop her up and flee to their cave, away from the city and people. Where it would be just Nya and he and Sus and the trees and rocks and their nights by the fire with music and stories and laughing. As tempting as that sounded, he knew they could not run. Nya had to learn to interact with humans, understand them because they were everywhere. The bondmates too, had an unspoken purpose, he believed, to minister to the wandering souls entering the city. That is why he agreed to join the Cultural Council, that is why Nya befriended Liriel.

He wanted to talk to Nya, to mend the wounds he inflicted, but they had a guest with some issues of her own. A bright guest that, at the moment, seemed to be working her issues out better than the Kelvic and Benshiran were solving their own.

Abashai sat back down in his chair, glancing at Nya long enough to see she was not going to return his gaze. Turning his eyes back to Liriel, he mustered a smile. "It is true Liriel, you and I are no longer in the desert. We have a freedom that is both bitter and sweet. Bitter because we are far from what was our home, from what we know, what is familiar and comfortable. Sweet because we are no longer bound to the harsh land that dictates how our peoples must live." Abashai looked down into Nya's resolute face, the dancing flames reflected in the smouldering green eyes, firmly fixed on the fire. "We are all far from what was once our home." His gaze again fell to the constrasting deep black eyes of the young desert woman. They reminded him of deep wells, hiding their contents in shadows. "But perhaps you are right. We are more than Chaktawe or Benshiran....or Kelvic. Here we are free to take the best of those parts of us, shed what hinders us. We do need others, but our people become those we choose to surround us."

Abashai felt an epiphany unveiling. He could be benshiran and not benshiran too. He had a 'people'. Foremost Nya. Their friends, like Matilda ( he called her the shining konti) and Glav. Liriel could very well become one of his people too.
Abashai
There are winds I am compelled to follow...

Words: 391987
Joined roleplay: August 25th, 2009, 4:12 pm
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Character (1) Trailblazer (1)

Postby Liriel on October 22nd, 2009, 1:35 pm

It was becoming difficult for Liriel to ignore the tension in the room. Though Nya and Abashi’s words were neutral, not obviously argumentative, still she felt there was more going on than she could perceive. The two were unhappy with each other, that much was clear, though Liriel had no idea why. Nya had become withdrawn, and though Abashi thoughtfully considered Liriel’s words he too seemed distracted.

Again, part of Liriel tugged at her to try and fix things, to try and help the two come to some kind of understanding. This time, however, she resisted. Back home she had often mediated disagreements between her peers and those she preformed with. She was good at it—she could remain calm and combine the best of both sides, at her best helping each side see the other’s point of view.

But this disagreement was beyond her skill to fix, mainly because she wasn’t sure what it was about. There was too much information she was unaware of, too much history she was not privy to. For example, Nya had referred to humans—did that mean she was not human herself? And besides, Liriel was not sure that they would welcome her interference—at times in the past Liriel had gone too far, intruding where she was not wanted, and she had not forgotten those moments.

There seemed only one possible solution here, and that was for her to leave. Nya and Abashi needed space to work out their problems on their own, without the distraction of having to entertain a guest they barely knew.

“Your words are wise,” Liriel said to Abashi, not letting any of her other thoughts show in her expression. She knew how to act, how to pretend she didn’t notice what was going on. “You’ve given me a lot to think about.”

Liriel stretched her arms above her head, and pushed away her nearly empty plate. “I have to confess that sitting here and eating this good food has made me sleepy, though. It’s been a long day, and I think it’s time for me to turn in. Maybe I will see you both again tomorrow?”
Liriel
Player

Words: 10961
Joined roleplay: October 2nd, 2009, 5:05 am
Race: Mixed blood

Postby Nya Winters on October 22nd, 2009, 5:02 pm

Nya's eyes slipped from the dancing flames to Liriel's stretching form. They traveled down the girls long arms until her gaze rested on her eyes. She didn't look tired, not at all, because even though her belly was full, her eyes still had the lingering glitter of excitement - a new city, a new place, new ideas. Nya understood that look, and understood too the cautious retreat that was about to happen. The Forest Cat was upset, but it wasn't at Liriel, and Nya's temperament was such that a minute, two, five, or even ten and she'd forget the whole thing because anger wasn't something she was designed to hold onto very well. Grudges were more human traits. Cats hissed, spit, and the moment was over for them. It was time to live in the next, and then the next, and in the next.

"If you are tired, you should sleep, Liriel... but you don't look very tired to me. My first night in a strange city... no my first ten days or so here, I never could sleep. Each new noise bothered me, each drop of rain on the glass panes, each passing horse, each footstep outside."
Nya rose from where she was lounging on the floor and wandered over to Liriel. She nudged her head against the woman's own head, and purred softly - catlike - in apology. "Shai and I are very much used to sitting up late into the night talking of all sorts of things. Sometimes we upset each other, it is part of being friends, and learning about one another. I do not understand always what it is to be human. You two are unbelievably lucky to be born real people, and not something that is nothing anywhere close and only mimics it. I am a kelvic. Kelvics do not understand always about culture, about people and who they are or why they even are as they are. That is why we ask questions and try to understand." Nya nudged Liriel again, still partially rumbling a purr in the back of her throat. But her eyes turned to Abashai and met his gaze. "Abashai is a good teacher to me, a good friend, and I travel with him now because he guides me and I in turn guard him. But the ways of his people are strange to me. Just because you can imagine something in your mind doesn't mean you know everything about it or that what you imagine is the truth or anywhere close too it. He gets frustrated sometimes, tired too, because I think I ask him too many questions. It is easy to see a question as a judgment either good or bad, and its even easier to turn a question into a judgment even when you do not mean too. So he is not wrong in his frustration. I do judge people, sometimes without knowing them or giving them a chance. And this is very wrong to do when you do not walk with them.... what he said... wear their sandals. I just get angry, and I should not because I should be reminded, when it is pointed out that I cannot know. I want to know. Someday I will go there and see and understand and then I can talk of them. Until then, I will not, because it is not my place." If Nya took one thing from Abashai, one deep felt lesson, it was not to judge people based on what others said about them or the knowledge you had previously. Knowledge could be tainted. Nya's mother was often clear on that... stories of the defeated were written by the victors who sometimes wanted to paint themselves in the best light. Abashai's way was to judge them only for themselves when you met them and got to know them.

It was a good way.

And so she carefully picked up the remainder of the food, to tidy the place and burn off her excess energy, and said quietly. "It would be a real disappointment to me if you left tonight to sleep without telling us a story about your Chaktawe people, or at least telling me a little about them. Abashai knows them, but I do not. And besides, if you do leave, my mind will be busy and wander, and the things it will think and invent will be far from the truth. I would also be very upset at myself if you are leaving because Abashai hissed at me and I got upset at him. It was deserved and sometimes I need it." Nya dropped her voice and did not meet her bondmates eyes, but she did squat by Liriel's seat, still purring, and met the woman's dark gaze. "Shai has a great deal of patience. But it is not easy for him. I am only two years old and am gifted with the ability to frustrate him to no end. And he thinks because I am still a kitten in many ways inside - even though my body is all grown up - that he has to watch over me and protect me, and I think sometimes it is exhausting to him, especially when it comes to his people, which do confuse me. So if he gets upset, and I get upset, don't think badly of us. He has always walked a hard road, no matter where he has been or where he is going. But I think it has been by his choice." She said softly, then finally glanced to her bondmate. She moved and refilled Liriel's tea and otherwise fussed around the small room before she came to sprawl by the bed.

"Besides, if you stay, I will tell you the story of how my mother found the ruins of a people who did not survive the Valterrian, and what she learned of them from their things. They were called the Nyavani, and she named me for them."
Nya said quietly, knowing she hadn't told Shai this story either.
Nya Winters
Let the winds in my heart blow...

Words: 784686
Joined roleplay: June 7th, 2009, 6:53 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Trailblazer (1) Never Say Die (1)
Donor (1) 2017 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2017 Top NaNo Word Count (1)

Postby Abashai on October 22nd, 2009, 7:26 pm

Abashai dropped his head as Liriel made her graceful attempt to escape the bickering bondmates. He wanted to say something, somehow diplomatically save the situation, but words failed him. He breathed a sigh of relief when he heard the alto voice again, calling Liriel's bluff. He raised his head to see the Forest Cat approach their guest, purring and nudging her head against Lirel's. His angst softened and a slight grin lifted the corners of his mouth, remembering his first time receiving the feline's affection. He wondered what the poor desert girl was thinking.

Nya, with gracious simplicity, made amends for them both. But his heart was pricked by her profession. You two are unbelievably lucky to be born real people, and not something that is nothing anywhere close and only mimics it. Nya was more than mimicked humanity. She was more real to him than any human. But he knew her periods of lonliness and frustration. It pained the bondmate to watch her go through those times. Abashai knew she had to learn to function in a world run by humans and thier like, but he hoped the kelvic forest cat would never become human. That would be a tragedy.

Her gaze finally turned to him, the green eyes appearing more mature than he could remember. She was still talking to Liriel, but he felt the words were for his benefit. With clarity she spoke her heart...and he was humbled. After all, it was he who lost his temper, had belittled her. She was simply asking questions.

Abashai remained standing by the fire, listening to Nya speak, hoping she could sway Liriel to stay. They had bared alot of themselves tonight to the young woman and had obviously made her uncomfortable. But Nya's soft purring candor dispelled the tension. By the time the kelvic had settled down again by the bed, there was very little Liriel did not know about the two of them.

The man finally stirred and walked over to Nya. He crouched beside the girl and leaned his forehead against hers, his long hair falling around his face. Then he ran his bearded jaw along her jawline and brought his head to rest against hers, face buried in the thick brindled hair. He inhaled deeply. Though his faculties were nowhere near as sharp as the Forest Cat, he enjoyed the scent of his friend's hair. He lightly kissed the soft mane and leaned back to meet her eyes, hoping she could see the apology in his own.

Standing, he returned to his chair at the table. Liriel, an unwilling witness to the inner workings of the bondmate's relationship, seemed closer to him as well. He smiled at the dark-eyed girl, gently and respectfully laid his hand on hers. "I must apologize, Liriel, If I offended you, or if we made you uncomfortable. But I am glad you are here. Now you know who we really are. I hope you will still consider us as friends." He removed his hand. "You can hardly leave now, for there is much I do not know about the Chaktawe," his gaze fell on Nya with a wry smile,"and I have never heard the story of the Nyavani!"
Abashai

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Liriel on October 26th, 2009, 12:08 am

Liriel watched curiously as Nya rose and came over to where she sat. Nya then proceeded to nudge at her, like the woman was some kind of cat. Liriel tried hard not to stare at her. The action did not exactly make her feel uncomfortable, but it was certainly odd. Was it characteristic of her particular culture? Where was Nya from, anyway?

This question was answered about two seconds later, when Nya mentioned that she was Kelvic. Liriel frowned—the name was familiar. Wasn’t it those people who were supposed to be able to shapeshift, to turn into animals? Liriel had never quite believed they were real; the story sounded like just that, a story. Yet it explained a lot about Nya—the eyes, the odd behavior, the way something about her seemed just a little bit off. And it explained the way she referred to people as “humans” and seemed unaware of many common customs.

The idea was incredible, but Liriel had to believe it. This person sitting beside her, who looked perfectly normal, could turn herself into an animal. Judging by her behavior, probably a cat. Syliras was turning out to be a whole lot more interesting than she had expected.

There was one thing about Nya that was definitely not catlike—she sure liked to talk. Liriel watched as the woman rambled on, unwilling to interrupt. She tried her best to follow the string of words, though her fatigue made her miss a little. What she did catch was Nya’s frustration, and also the astonishing fact that she was only two years old. How that was possible, Liriel had no idea.

At last Nya went quiet, and Abashi spoke into the silence. Liriel smiled at his apology, and at the way he seemed to see through her and into her thoughts. “You don’t need to apologize,” she said. “I didn’t mean to imply I was uncomfortable. I just thought it might be best if I went. And I am tired.”

Liriel yawned then, and laughed at this proof to her own words. “As you can see. But I cannot pass up an opportunity to hear a new story. I know little of the time before the Valterrian.”

She watched Nya expectantly, hoping the woman or cat or whatever she was would prove a good storyteller. Liriel was always looking for stories to add to her mental collection.
Liriel
Player

Postby Nya Winters on October 26th, 2009, 1:05 pm

Talking wasn't something Nya actually did a lot of on a day to day basis. In fact, she probably wouldn't have said much tonight, except she was trying really hard to make a new friend and to ease the tension Nya felt responsible for by doing just exactly what Liriel was thinking; talking and talking and talking. She loved talking, truthfully, and would often go into the city to seek out converstation - of any sort - just to ease her loneliness. But those habits had changed with Abashai's presence in her life, so her prowling was more confined to heading back to the woods from the city or returning to the cave to get some peace and quiet away from the madness that was humanity.

Hunting had also become a priority.

But regardless, she was surprised when Shai got up and wandered to the fire. Thinking she'd misspoken again, the girl grew quiet, fretful, and halfway decided this making friends business was perhaps not her forte. When he moved towards her, she would have scooted backwards had the frame of the bed been pressed against her back. But her bondmate surprised her with a very feline gesture of affection, rubbing his jawline across hers, making her blink in surprise. Abashai was kind, thoughtful, and quiet spoken, but he wasn't as a rule affectionate nor did he particularly like to touch or be touched. Nya didn't move, but let her bondmate do whatever it was he was inclined too. His jaw against hers soothed her fears and the soft kiss on the top of her head made her purr softly in response.

Nya lived for the little affections, a bit of attention here and there, and soaked it up while she could.

But soon enough he settle back in his seat, and both of them turned to Liriel as she began speaking. Nya was slightly disappointed. She'd hoped to hear about the Chaktawe before giving her own story, but it was a fleeting sort of disappointment. She'd try to ask the girl to tell her about the Chaktawe later, and keep asking discretely without being a pest until eventually Liriel would tell her a little of them. Liriel was tired, after all, and there'd be time later, maybe tomorrow or the next, to ask later.

But for now... a story... about the Nyavani.

Nya cleared her throat and dropped her voice down to an even lower octave than her usual rich alto. Her eyes got a far-away look and her mind traveled back to the fire in the hearth that she was staring at as she leaned against her mother's stomach, getting it rubbed, because she'd just been recovering from being ill from eating meat that had gone bad. Food poisoning hadn't been really danger to Nya's life, though it had made her wish she was dead.

She purred for a moment.

"There were people that knew the world was ending, even before the Valterrian came. Some of them lived under Avalias' watchful eyes, and some were like the Konti before there were even Konti. One of these groups were called the Nyavani. They were great lovers of knowledge, mathematics especially, and watched the sky because they said thats were other worlds were. And they somehow knew a great burning was coming. That's what they called it then.... not the Valterrian. And they built great vaults within the earth, deep down, where they put their most precious things - their treasure. They dwelled in cliff cities and grew food in all sorts of ways in places that we wouldn't have thought possible. And rather than just tell people where these caches were... they called them something else though... something like Arch but not exactly that word. Anyhow, rather than just let everyone know where their treasure was, they left clues, and giant maps etched so large and so elaborately that no one really knew what they were looking at. My mother did though.... and started a lifetime search for their treasure." Nya said with a smile. "She made it her lifes work, and had to learn all sorts of magic just to unravel the mystery and get the treasure. " Nya went on to add, smiling slightly as she remembered the story....

"And it all started with my mother finding a humming bird etched on the top of a high plateau carrying a vine loaded with grapes in its beak... which to her was an impossibility due to the size difference. From there, she began her search, and it took her nearly seven years to find the first cache. She's still looking for others now."
Nya said, reaching down onto the floor and tracing an outline of the pictograph into the light coating of undisturbed dust by the little wooden nightstand that held a tallow lamp. "It is odd to think what happened to her after she found that and how persistent she was, certain that it existed, even when no one else believed her."
Nya Winters

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Abashai on October 26th, 2009, 4:12 pm

Zilvia Winters was a remarkable woman, Abashai had concluded. The benshiran always enjoyed hearing the stories about his bondmate's mother. They were tales of mystic knowledge and lore of a world the desert man could hardly believe was his own. But he did not doubt their authenticity. Abashai had seen too much to deny the mysteries he once attributed to fairy tales. In fact, much of the man's understanding of Mizahar's history came from this woman's knowledge, passed to her daughter and revealed to him beside their evening fires.

Abashai had watched as his guardian'smoss green eyes fixed upon the hearth. Soon, though, he too was staring into the fire, conjuring up his own images to accompany the storytelling. When his bondmate began to draw in the dust, he gave the copper-skinned girl across the table an excited grin and leaned down to watch. The Forest Cat paused, baiting the listeners. Forgetting masculine pride, the man leaned forward and hung on her last words, as anxious as a school boy to hear what happened next.
Abashai

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Liriel on October 26th, 2009, 5:39 pm

Liriel was pleased to discover that Nya was indeed a good storyteller. She was no Abayla, of course, but her personal connection to the events made them feel more real and immediate. Liriel wasn’t quite sure if this story was true or not. Nya had introduced it as though it were, but it seemed to be leading into the fantastical. Yet, if a woman could turn herself into a cat, what else could be real? Technically, Liriel knew magic existed. But she had not really encountered it, and had at times had her doubts. At the very least, however, it made for very good stories.

But these thoughts were fleeting, and Liriel did not dwell on them. The time to think about stories was after you had heard them. Now was the time for careful listening, for experiencing. Having grown up in a story culture, and one where participation was encouraged, it was natural to Liriel that when Nya paused she should indicate her interest and provide some sort of prompt to acknowedge her involvement.

“And what did she do after she found the hummingbird?”
Liriel
Player

Postby Nya Winters on October 27th, 2009, 9:48 am

"You have to understand... it was so large that she could stand in one of the lines that made the shape of its body...." Quick inhuman fingers tapped the line in the dust and Nya's hand folded to form a fist with two fingers that walked the shape much like a person would. "She walked the whole thing, from the tip of its tail through its wings, down over its head and through each one of the globes that was a grape ripe on the vine.... and as she did the world changed. She saw how it looked before the Valterrian, before the Burning the Nyavani predicted. And it was in that walk that she learned glyphing, and how to hold magic in one shape to preserve it... because as she came out of the cluster of grapes and back towards the hummingbirds tail, magic was unleashed. It swept her up like a great whirling wind did something to her mind, something powerful, that caused her to just know - like a homing pigeon on the wing or a salmon finding its way back to its birth stream from the sea - the way to the vault." Nya said, touching her head and gesturing all around her. "When she turned from the right course, there was a pain in her mind, that started out as a dull ache, but grew incredibly hurtful the more she traveled in the wrong direction. She had no choice... none at all... but to find them, to follow the beacon they'd left in the hummingbird." Nya said, touching her head and gesturing all around her.

"Zilvia walked for days, maybe a week, though she cannot really remember. There was only the right way to place her feet or the wrong way... a life pain free or one pain filled. And she kept going until she came to a place that was nowhere and nothing. Flat, indistinct, with no way to go in, she knelt and sobbed because when she got there, that really important place of nowhere, the beacon in her mind disappeared. There was no more right way or wrong way, and no more pain."
Nya said, stretching out on the floor, mimicing her mother's exhaustion. "And so she fell asleep, finally, with nothing else left to do but rest. She fell into Nysel's arms and walked in his world... and met her first Nyavani. She was a dark haired girl with bright eyes and a quick smile. My mother says we look the same, but I doubt her as a tease sometimes. But it is no matter, because the girl picked up a single grain of the dirt from the flat plain and offered it to Zilvia. She dropped the single grain of sand into her hand and told her something powerful. She told her to simply believe that she could move the world with a single grain of sand." Nya said, mimicking offering a pinch of something to someone....

"When Zilvia woke up, she sat there for a long time, in that place that was no where, expecting no one.... and thought about what the girl had told her in her dream. She thought about it for three days, and three nights with no food or water. Many things came to her in that time - visions and knowings she would not otherwise have. But none were more powerful than the girl and her single grain of sand."
Nya said thoughtfully, then mimicked reaching down to pick up her own grain of sand. "My mother reached out and picked up a grain of sand from the world before her, and because she'd thought so long and so hard about it, she believed that she could move the world with a single grain of sand... and the world did indeed move, splitting apart and opening up." Nya said, her gesture wide, while she watched them both expectantly... pausing the story for the for a moment.

"And thats when she found the cache, the vault, and the treasure became hers."
Nya Winters

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Abashai on October 27th, 2009, 5:08 pm

Nya was weaving a tale so fantastic, Abashai could have very well questioned its validity, had he not been so thoroughly engaged in its telling. Nya had indeed become quite adept at storytelling. The man found himself trying to imagine how the hummingbird was created, fathom how the faith in a grain of sand could trigger a seismic event. Abashai did not understand magic that did come from the gods. It was mysterious and, admitted only to himself, a bit frightening, even when used by the benevolent konti. His bondmate had told Abashai a little about how her mother used some magic, feeding the enigma surrounding Nya's parents. He wondered if he would ever meet them.

Involuntarily leaning back at Nya's grand gesture, Abashai grinned a large grin, so completlly enjoying the evening, the wonderful story and their special guest. He flashed the smile at Liriel, who too seemed enthralled in Zilvia's adventure. Abashai leaned forward, anxious to learn what the treasure was.
Abashai

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

PreviousNext