Closed A stranger approaches.

Thaurn meets Percy.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

While Sylira is by far the most civilized region of Mizahar, countless surprises and encounters await the traveler in its rural wilderness. Called the Wildlands, Syliran's wilderness is comprised of gradual rolling hills in the south that become deep wilderness in the north. Ruins abound throughout the wildlands, and only the well-marked roads are safe.

A stranger approaches.

Postby Thaurn Proteus Sultros on June 1st, 2015, 7:58 pm

Spring, 50 A.V.
8 Bells into the day.


A short while away from the road leading into Zeltiva, in a small clearing in the trees. Thaurn's wagon stood, the cover coated in a very thin layer of dew. Surrounding the wagon was quite long grass everywhere, with flowers and small tufts of longer grass - alongside small scurrying rodents and a gathering of insects. There were two large rocks near to edge of the clearing furthest from the road, at the base of a fully-grown tree. The wagon's entrance was pointed towards the road. To the right hand side of it ( viewing from the road ) was a grey and white horse covered with a hooded blanket, Fraey. Fraey was still partially asleep and had sat herself very slightly underneath the wagon itself, a halter tied very loosely around her neck. Inside of the wagon was the large, locked chest Thaurn used for storage - just above his head, a few things hung from the inside of the wooden frame and a small selection of tools, including a sledgehammer, stood next to the chest.The rucksack full of winter clothes Thaurn kept was tucked in the crook of his neck as a makeshift pillow, his Kris poking out a tiny bit from underneath it. Thaurn was laying in his bedroll with just his underwear, his clothes from the day before discarded beside his chest. As the wagon cover let through a faint glow, Thaurn stirred.

Deep breathing began as Thaurn rolled onto his back with a groan and a wide, moment stopping yawn, and he slowly sat himself up - disturbing his bedroll as he did. His arms came up as he took another deep breath, he bent them and braced them behind his head - pushing forwards with both to free his muscles from their slumber. Slowly relaxing his arms again to his sides, Thaurn stood up pushed his hips forwards, freeing the muscles in his legs in the same way. As if freed from all feelings of tiredness, Thaurn immediately started to roll up his bedroll and then place it to the left of his large chest. He walked around to it's right side and picked up his black, ramie trousers - pulling them up over each leg in turn and then pulling them up to cover his bottom half, buttoning them together. Thaurn then picked up his belt and looped it around his waste, buckling it tightly together around the top of his trousers. He quickly opened and reached into the pouch closest to his front and produced a key from it, placing it into the lock and turning it left - freeing the pins and popping the lock open. He removed the lock from the key with his free hand and let it drop to the floor. Reaching into the chest, he produced the animal grooming kit he had and walked out of the wagon leisurely.

Fraey pushed down with his front hooves and lifted herself up and out from underneath the wagon, forcing air out of her nose and turning to greet Thaurn. With an easy voice, Thaurn responded "Hey, shhh" and slowly ran his right hand up her snout and round to the right side of her neck, walking round to follow his hand's lead. He stroked her a few times and then slowly placed the kit onto the ground. Opening it, he produced a small brush in his left hand and then passed it to his right, beginning to run it over the mane that hung down over her neck. Fraey's breathing became rhythmic and regular as a sign of contentment and she kept her head fairly still as Thaurn brushed her hair tenderly. Dropping the brush into the kit again, Thaurn then went to removing the blanket from Fraey. The hood was flat against her back so Thaurn simply slid the blanket off over her rump, he shook the blanket and folded it messily in half - tucking it underneath his arm and walking round to the entrance of the wagon, throwing it in. He then walked back around to Fraey and took a smaller brush from the kit, slowly brushing all over her body.
User avatar
Thaurn Proteus Sultros
Player
 
Posts: 9
Words: 9730
Joined roleplay: May 22nd, 2015, 10:27 pm
Race: Isur
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

A stranger approaches.

Postby Percy Donhaeris on June 1st, 2015, 8:33 pm




Approaching a bend in the road, Percy noticed a comfortably well kept wagon a little away from the pavings. Though the boy couldn't make out anything in particular yet, he had a good idea of what he'd get up to when he arrived at the vehicle. 'It's only early, I should see if I can score myself some treasure' he thought, 'After all, I've got to start being ruthless if I'm going to purge the world of its oppressors'. It hadn't been long since he walked out of the Mirahil pass in Zeltiva, and he had all of his food with him. Had he any wisdom or generally more sensibility, he would know that stealing this early in his adventure is a risk too great. Had he any significant wisdom, he'd understand that stealing at all with his skill level is foolish.

Percy's feet started to rub already, though he assumed that he'd get used to it after travelling a bit more. The wagon came into view, the cover glimmered slightly as the whole thing shook in the light breeze. The sun shone brilliantly as it broke the horizon, highlighting a man and his horse at the close right of the cab. A nervous impulse shook Percy's body and he rushed quietly to the left of the wagon, attempting to move out of range of the man's vision. He now had his back up against the supportive planks, and was in shadow while he breathed slowly but deeply. 'Now's my chance'. He peered round the side of the wagon and made sure that the man was facing away from him. He slipped behind the fabric and laughed to himself silently.

The rush was unchallenged, he scouted around the place for something to pocket and leave with, when a bright idea came into his head. He rushed out of the wagon with a second rucksack on his back and the readiness to sprint. He cleared his throat.
"I'll give you it, if you give me something from that chest." It was his most cunning and dangerous (and not to mention only), plan yet. Was the man armed? Could he fight? Could he use magic? And, was he a gift of the Gods? Percy didn't know or care - as far as he knew, his plan was flawless.
Last edited by Percy Donhaeris on June 6th, 2015, 9:22 pm, edited 4 times in total.
User avatar
Percy Donhaeris
The Misotheist Spiritist
 
Posts: 12
Words: 14566
Joined roleplay: May 23rd, 2015, 1:08 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

A stranger approaches.

Postby Thaurn Proteus Sultros on June 1st, 2015, 9:16 pm

Thaurn's attentive brushing of the horse led him to completely miss the thief sneaking into the clearing and hiding round the other side of the wagon to him, Fraey was more alert and her ears pricked up to the sound of the man - she whinnied and turned her head away from Thaurn, leading him to wonder what was wrong. He turned around and thought that he caught a slight movement from the corner of his eye as he did. Thinking it was just some small creature, he slowly moved over towards the entrance of his wagon - one careful step at a time. His efforts did little to quieten the heavy man's movements however.

Though he worried about what the sound might be, he steadied his thoughts, his heart however began pounding away and he could almost feel his view brighten at the dilation of his pupils: with the introduction of adrenaline to his blood. He thought to himself I wanted to see excitement, and here I am, trust yourself and with that he began taking a deep breath. The breath itself was cut short by the slim man that leaped from his wagon and boldly stated that he would give him "it...", however, from the mental buildup a few chimes before this scenario (that had existed for little more than a few seconds) all Thaurn could do in his taken-aback state was swing wildly at the man with his right hand, which was bawled into a messy fist. The force of the swing from his upper body was decent, however without training - he failed to put any weight or reach behind the punch.

After the swing, Thaurn barely caught himself on his own two feet again - not even mindfully aware of whether the punch connected, and he glanced quickly from place to place in-front of him to try and understand the happenings that had just taken place, he could feel his heart pounding in his chest - but it was at a more regular pace and beat now.
User avatar
Thaurn Proteus Sultros
Player
 
Posts: 9
Words: 9730
Joined roleplay: May 22nd, 2015, 10:27 pm
Race: Isur
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

A stranger approaches.

Postby Percy Donhaeris on June 1st, 2015, 10:39 pm



It definitely knocked Percy, interupted him greatly and damaged his wrists as he loosely broke his fall. He hadn't fought since his time at the harbour, and wondered how his experience would hold up. Briefly wondered. He kicked, as hard as he could, at the man's shin. By the force of the punch alone (which actually came from the raw weight of the arm), Percy came to the assumption that his rival could fight pretty well. He figured that the Isur could at least battle harder than the boys that bullied him, so he did something he'd never done before. It wasn't entirely that he'd never kicked a man's shin like that, but more the fact that he'd rarely been in a position to do so.

The kick must have at least hurt the man - or so Percy thought. He noticed three things, during the fight's break out. Firstly, the appearance of the man, he saw that the Isur was small. Just how exactly, he couldn't make out, but he could tell that he had a height advantage. He was fully aware very quickly that there was something special about the man's left arm - probably something to avoid if a fight properly gets underway. Percy also made a mental note that the person's face had a structural abnormality of some sort. It wasn't defined though, from his position, and he didn't have time for further observance. The next thing that was interesting to him was the rucksack - he still had it. Two thoughts crossed his mind, he would either run or give it to him. It was too early to decide then, in his panic. Finally, he realised that the Isur's mare was in the corner of his vision. He wondered just how passive it was, and decided to move away from it. He did just that when he got to his feet. He made quick movements to put the stranger between himself and the horse, and stepped back. The pain in his arm ceased as his body prepared to battle!
User avatar
Percy Donhaeris
The Misotheist Spiritist
 
Posts: 12
Words: 14566
Joined roleplay: May 23rd, 2015, 1:08 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

A stranger approaches.

Postby Thaurn Proteus Sultros on June 2nd, 2015, 9:17 pm

As Thaurn properly collected his surroundings and balance, he felt a sharp pain in his left leg and recoiled from it slightly, shifting his weight back onto his right foot and lifting the hurt one up from the ground. His attention was brought to the thief, who backed himself up enough to be away from the wagon now. The pain in his leg dulled, and Thaurn planted himself firmly on the ground again, he stared at the man pointedly and thought about his next course of action.

As he was looking at the unknown man in-front of him, Thaurn pondered over the fact that he wasn't all that intimidating. If anything, he seemed to be pretty under-equipped and he was definitely no master thief. Yet, Thaurn had a strange feeling about the man, a strange feeling of unease by looking and interacting with him. He wasn't sure if he imagined it or there really was some unexplained almost magical quality to the individual. Or maybe it was instability.

At this point, Thaurn became painfully aware of how little fighting experience he had and thought the other man must at least have some, to be bold enough to steal. In an effort to catch the man off-guard, Thaurn leaped forwards, off of his left foot, baring his left arm across his chest and swung it wide at chest height as he landed again. Thaurn's mind drifted from the man's actions briefly, with the effort behind the swing. Though he didn't really want to badly injure the man, he knew that it could be a matter of survival - not giving him time to think was Thaurn's current plan.
User avatar
Thaurn Proteus Sultros
Player
 
Posts: 9
Words: 9730
Joined roleplay: May 22nd, 2015, 10:27 pm
Race: Isur
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

A stranger approaches.

Postby Percy Donhaeris on June 3rd, 2015, 7:02 am



No time to think would be right. Percy barely had time to react at all. As the punch made distance, only reflex prevented Percy being quite sincerely damaged under the mass of the Isur's arm. Percy found himself a few inches back and with his arms up, only managing to convert the last bit of force into momentum to bring him away from the stranger. His right arm almost took a painful blow, though Percy was quite astonished that he managed to dodge the swing at all. He desperately wanted to call the fight off or give in, as he would've after a fight at the port - this was different, though. This could be life or death, for all Percy knew.

"So, you don't fancy getting me something from that fancy lockbox?" And as he spoke, he found the cowardly man inside him taking action. He punched, vertically, at the man's face. His small fist and weak punch would do little in the way of damaging the Isur, though he had to try. It was better than letting the stranger pummel him with that super-weighted limb, and he figured it would at least distract or agitate the man. Altogether, the punch wasn't terrible, though it could've been improved. Percy thought about it a little, whether or not it was the right move. It was a move however, and he put as much energy as he could into the punch.

Unfortuantely, Percy knew that he had a problem with distance, now. He knew that all it would take would be for the Isur to grip him with the superior fingers of his left arm and he might have a problem. He hoped the Isur wouldn't react quickly enough, or that the punch would give him time to apply distance between them. As his heart bounced around, he felt a warmth connecting aspects of his body, and sweat building up. The sun was comfortably on the horizon, suddenly and all things reflected its brightness magnificently. Percy thought at least that this was a healthy way to spend his morning - if not an uncomfortably intense way to start his journey.
User avatar
Percy Donhaeris
The Misotheist Spiritist
 
Posts: 12
Words: 14566
Joined roleplay: May 23rd, 2015, 1:08 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

A stranger approaches.

Postby Thaurn Proteus Sultros on June 7th, 2015, 9:25 am

As the man brought himself back from the swing, Thaurn's left arm continued it's path and collided with the trunk of a tree at the edge of the clearing. Where the side of his hand collided with the bark, the wood splintered and dented inwards from the weight and strength of the metallic arm. Thaurn thought this could be a good opportunity to end the fight, maybe the man would realise the danger of the arm and return the rucksack? Howver, Thaurn had noticed that the man seemed to have more fighting prowess than he did - and he was beginning to wonder how the fight would turn out.

"So, you don't fancy getting me something from that fancy lockbox?". Again with the chest Thaurn thought, he went to reply but was cut short by the man's sudden strike. Trying to lift both arms to cover his face, in a very sloppy manner, Thaurn felt the fist connect and it caused him to stagger back some - he felt the warmth of blood on his upper lip and tucked it into his mouth, tasting metal. He screwed his nose up gently to try and free some of the discomfort, but refused to touch it - not wanting to give the man another opportunistic attack. The force of the punch had remained as an ache, much more pronounced than the kick he suffered to the shin, Thaurn found it difficult to ignore.

The stranger seemed to be keeping his distance, so Thaurn took the opportunity to think, his eyes glanced from place to place: looking for some advantage to use. Keeping his right hand high, he reached out to the damaged tree with his left and dug his fingers into the bark and the wood. With a firm grip, he forcefully pulled some material out of the tree with a sharp ripping noise and now had a handful of wood, with some lighter material gathered around it: bark and splinters. Thaurn was quite sure the stranger would be aware of his plan and could probably avoid it, but it was worth a shot and he at least didn't seem to have any weapons.

With this, Thaurn hurled the lump of wood at the man - though it curled somewhat to the left - the splinters and bark broke apart further with the throw and created a scattering of debris. Though the throw was in-accurate, it's force was quite tremendous. A short delay after this, Thaurn exerted himself against inertia and began to sprint forwards with his weight. He widened his arms and thrust himself into a jump at the stranger's chest, hoping to use his weight to pin him to the ground. But then what? Thaurn doubted. He thrust the doubt from his mind, he might as well try and succeed - since it was too late to chance his mind or direction.
User avatar
Thaurn Proteus Sultros
Player
 
Posts: 9
Words: 9730
Joined roleplay: May 22nd, 2015, 10:27 pm
Race: Isur
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

A stranger approaches.

Postby Percy Donhaeris on June 7th, 2015, 9:21 pm



This was different. Percy had drawn blood before but, this surprised him. With so much going on, Percy almost allowed himself to be both victim to the Isur's throw and clamped between his body and the ground. His first reaction was, with much more cursing included, "I think you squashed my rations!" His second reaction was his most desperate. A normal man would've pained the boy, this stranger however, he crushed the boy. Percy felt his ribs contracting and his muscles fighting back around them.

There was no hope of breathing under the pressure, only a deep trust in his brawling skills to keep him alive. He ignored the fire in his eyes - the result of the dirt and crumbs that slipped from the wood after their launch. He tried to swing his left leg, and his right leg, though pain was his restriction. Soon, he'd have a broken rib or punctured lung, and he knew it. He tried everything he thought to do, kicking the stranger's legs, biting and headbutting at his face and clawing at his sides with his fingernails.

Finally, he squirmed and surrendered. "Get off! Please, I'll drop the bag." And with his final breath, "Please." His eyes turned to reveal the now bloodshot, white area, and his legs and arms ceased to move - his fate, kept resting in Thaurn's judgement of the situation.

If anything, Percy learned a valuable lesson - These heavy people existed, and it would be wise to not steal from them.
User avatar
Percy Donhaeris
The Misotheist Spiritist
 
Posts: 12
Words: 14566
Joined roleplay: May 23rd, 2015, 1:08 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

A stranger approaches.

Postby Thaurn Proteus Sultros on June 7th, 2015, 9:55 pm

Thaurn's mind screamed Yes! as the dash connected with the young thief and brought him crashing to the ground beneath the Isur. The situation seemed to be the same for a moment though as the thief remarked sarcastically about his rations, but then it suddenly took a severe turn. The young man began to thrash about viciously beneath Thaurn and all he could do was tuck his head down next to the man's head to prevent his gnashing and flailing from injuring his face. Thaurn felt sharp pains in his sides but managed to grit his teeth and bare it until the thief finally began to plead.

Beginning to shift his weight cautiously, Thaurn wasn't prepared for the moment the stranger went limp and after a moment of thinking - quickly lifted his weight up onto his knees - which were positioned on the floor to the man's sides. He looked down at the man's face and saw his eyes were white and bloodshot, his mouth had opened in his unconscious state. Hearing his heart-beat in his ears, Thaurn thought Have I... killed him? and began to breath deeply in shock. He lifted his right hand to his forehead and his eyes widened - his pupils becoming large as his mind rushed over things like being arrested, hanged maybe? What about this boys family? What was he going to do? Stop it! Thaurn's mind screamed, and he slowly closed his eyes, thinking. Check if he's dead he realised, and he lowered his ear to the man's mouth - feeling and hearing a very faint rush of air.

Breathing a sigh of relief, Thaurn's next thoughts were what to do with the man. He looked around the clearing they were both in - walking around the wagon to inspect it further. Aha! he thought as he spotted the two large rocks quite far away from the wagon. He also noticed that Fraey had backed herself to the edge of the clearing, away from the sounds of the commotion. Walking over to his horse, Thaurn calmly muttered "Shhh shh shh" and reached out with his right hand to try and comfort the animal: it seemed to work well enough, as the horse lowered it's head and breathed deeply.

Deciding to continue with securing the prisoner, Thaurn walked back around the wagon to where the man laid and grasped him with one hand under each arm. Half lifting, half dragging the man's body, he took him over to where the two large rocks were and propped him against the larger one. Reaching his left hand to this larger rock, Thaurn pushed against the material and felt it move beneath his hand - the rock's shape changed like clay as he applied force and with some scooping motions from the hand, he made a small dip in the rock's surface about half a foot deep. Returning to the intruder, Thaurn dragged his still body closer to the rock and placed his right hand into the dip - once again returning his hand to it's surface. This time he brushed his hand along the rock and pushed lightly, moulding the stone around the dip back into it and with this the rock was shaped around the man's wrist - though not too tightly.

The blood on Thaurn's face had dried now, and he wiped it away with the back of his right hand - wincing as he knocked his nose slightly. He flicked the dried blood from his hand with his thumb as he walked back to where he knocked the man unconscious and stooped down, picking the rucksack up with his right hand. He stepped up quickly into the wagon, through the cloth, and dropped the rucksack roughly where it was before. He then quickly lifted his rumpled shirt from the floor and pushed one hand, then two through the correct holes - finally letting it fall down over his head. He picked up the Kris from the floor and slid it into his belt as he began walking to the entrance of the wagon again. As an after-thought, he reached up and took his slingshot from where it hung on the wagon's wooden frame, and tucked it into his belt.

Making his way out of the wagon again, Thaurn perched on one of the large wheels closest to the man and waited for him to wake up, glancing at him and wondering how this situation would play out now...

...He couldn't help but wonder about the man, though he wasn't going to trust him anytime soon, probably even if he had some extremely good reason for attempting to steal from Thaurn - if such reasons existed.
User avatar
Thaurn Proteus Sultros
Player
 
Posts: 9
Words: 9730
Joined roleplay: May 22nd, 2015, 10:27 pm
Race: Isur
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

A stranger approaches.

Postby Percy Donhaeris on June 7th, 2015, 10:25 pm



'I don't remember the last time I've been unconscious', was what flowed through his mind when his senses arrived. The wagon was nearby, and presumably the man that beat him. It was difficult for him to breath, and the pain in his chest and eyes had persisted through the commotion. He thought it would be best if he stood and walked away - if only he could. When he tried it, he soon realised the futility.

"Alright, I'd rather die than make my way to Nyka with this thing on my arm, so what're you going to do?" He took the opportunity to appreciate the situation, though. To tell the truth, he found it quite funny that after less than a day's travel, he had managed to approach death so carelessly. 'If that happens again, I'm taking the other guy down with me', Percy's thoughts were mostly inspired by the defeat.

After spending his earliest conscious moments breathing in the fresh and still, Spring air, he wondered about the rock and the Isur. Strangeness surrounded the short man, and Percy made it his job, then, to make it less strange.

"What are you, then?" And he added, "Some kind of monster?" He didn't want to insult the man, he was basically curious and genuinely thought that monster fitted the description. "Did you do this to the rock? With that arm?" Which was a mostly right guess, though the deck-hand had so much to learn about their race. "What's the deal with that, anyway? Are you compensating for something?" And he laughed, before just about crying. The pain in his chest played a limiting role, in that the slightest adjustment to the boy's breathing patterns now crippled him dearly.

His thoughts were of Nyka, he prized the idea of destroying it, foundations and all. The city, in his eyes, was a hindrance and an eyesore. He knew that he, himself, would benefit the most from its removal. While he was in a compromising situation, he had the vision of completing his journey, and felt that he could repeat the battle a hundred times before it ended and still see the worth. He blinked hard at an attempt to remove the tiny, tree variables from his eye; Percy waited quietly.
User avatar
Percy Donhaeris
The Misotheist Spiritist
 
Posts: 12
Words: 14566
Joined roleplay: May 23rd, 2015, 1:08 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests