Completed [The Temple of All Gods] Can you hear me?

Elann looks for information on Yahal

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

[The Temple of All Gods] Can you hear me?

Postby Elann on July 22nd, 2015, 1:05 am

If ever there was someone determined to find out all she could about Yahal, Elann was definitely among the top tier of them. Since her father brought home the copy of the scrolls for her to read, she has been infatuated with the character of Yahal. After all, was there anything greater than purity and faith? To have someone who truly loved you and desired you? Many of the other gods could not care about them or their existence, but to the Benshira, they were faithful from the beginning of their race. That was many years ago though and she knew next to nothing of history of her people. She just knew her heart toward her God.

As Morian set down the tea for her she gladly took it and listened to him. The warm cup heated her hands, which were ice cold, despite the warm summer air and the clothes she wore. Now they had life in them and as she brought the nice liquid to her mouth, she made an “mmm” sound.

“Thank you. It is nice to have this.”

She was used to drinking boiling hot coffee as thick as tar for a drink on cooler nights, so this was a kind reminder of that for her insides. She did not wait for it to cool at all and in fact began to drink it as soon as there was warmth felt in her cold hands. It seemed that he had some interesting opinions that were very close to what she had understood of him. There were of course people in her culture and in the temple that took vows to not partake of certain things to be seen as less selfish or perhaps for the purpose of being able to focus more on Yahal, but that was not for her. She desired life, to experience the world, though not to be conformed by it. Figuring out how to do that made it harder on her than a person who took a vow to abstain, but she also felt she learned much more about Yahal’s character by experiencing the world she was in.

“I think as long as I am keeping my heart pure, and have this faith toward Yahal, and don’t betray him, I should be okay.” she nodded with a little wince, almost as if guessing to see if he agreed with her.

His invitation was kind and she smiled as he came to turn to the page for her to the next chapter. She really wanted to stay and so it was welcoming to her heart to know he was as invested in her reading the book as she was.

“Okay,” she said with almost a hint of excitement. She wriggled into her seat to get comfortable and pulled it up closer to the book, ready to dig into this chapter. It was probably rare to find someone as excited as her to study these ancient books. Most people she figured probably just came in and said some words and then left.

Other's Words ~~ My Words ~~ My Thoughts

Elann
Player

Words: 322359
Joined roleplay: June 24th, 2015, 10:19 pm
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Postby Plume on August 4th, 2015, 8:49 pm

Morian smiled at the lass's acceptance of the tea and her enthusiasm for the next chapter of the book. "I agree, Elann. It sounds as reasonable of a plan as any. Though, as always in life, we may find that the simplest of plans sometimes involve the most difficult of decisions. But that is a topic for another day. Come, see if this chapter holds any new information of interest for you."

The chapter on Yahal's mark began as such:

A favored mark from Yahal seems, at least to outside observation from scholars like myself, less common than most. This is most likely due to the fact that in order to receive such a mark, Yahal's followers must undergo significant acts of faith. Sometimes these acts are quite extreme and most embody the very definition of selflessness. They are, however, rarely performed with any intention to acquire a mark, and seldom result in what the subject expected.

Should a follower survive their trial and, in doing so, please their god, Yahal may grant them a mark of Ennervism. Usually the first of these marks appears in the simple pattern of a pair of wings on the back of the favored. Many believe it is symbolic, a design that signifies the marked one's status as being able to rise above that which would otherwise corrupt others. Should one acquire more marks, the pattern becomes more intricate, and it is said that a champion of Yahal would bear a full set of wings upon their back, though such a thing has unfortunately not been witnessed for quite some time.

Those capable of using Auristics have claimed that looking upon a person marked by Yahal is almost like looking into Syna herself. Their auras shine with a golden brilliance and are unmistakable in appearance. Beyond mere aesthetics, however, these enhanced auras also protect the favored from forces of corruption. Thus far, it has been discovered and confirmed that the aura of Ennervism can protect one from other marks as well, including hypnotism, chaon, krivas. Most interestingly of all is that those standing within a certain radiance will also be granted protection.

Though Yahal is a merciful god, he is not without a hard sense of justice. Those who earn disfavor from the god of faith and purity may very well find themselves cursed. They are able to redeem themselves, of course, but it is a harsh path to salvation. The cursed will bear a mark over their hears in the form of a dark spot that spreads until the entire heart is covered in a malignant design. Many have claimed that the spot is difficult to look at, as it invokes feelings of uncleanliness and unease. What is more, these wretched individuals are often met with immediate distrust and rarely find acceptance amongst their fellow man.

There was more in the chapter, mostly regarding testimonies and various stories collected from individuals that the author had encountered. Should Elann choose to read on, Morian would pour them more tea and wait patiently for her to finish. If not, he would kindly suggest they resume their readings on another day if the lass had gotten her fill and would like to take time to mentally digest.

Plume
May I tickle your fancy?

Words: 139803
Joined roleplay: January 24th, 2015, 8:22 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook

Postby Elann on August 4th, 2015, 9:28 pm

“Alright” Elann coyly said to the man who was so willing to open her mind to new things and she read further. She wondered about what his life was like here, if it was hard to accept all faiths in this place, and surely some must have had conflict. He was an epitome of patience and someone she very greatly respected the more she thought about him.

As the pages turned, she read down, able to greater understand the language as she read. It was hard for her at the beginning because he had rarely read much common writing and had taught herself over the years, but as she read it all started to come back. Even more complex words like selfishness and champion were understood with a little effort of sounding them out in her mind. There were some words though that she didn’t know that she inquired of the man on what they were. These were Auristics, aethetics, Ennervism, hypnosis, chaon, and krivas. The rest was easily understood, and while she could understand the subject matter, the words that she didn’t understand were a mystery in the puzzle that was the page.

“Do you know what they mean?” She asked after listing them out for him. She wanted to read various testimonies, but didn’t want to waste his time. She wanted to at least read three of them to gain an understanding of this mark. She had seen them on various people in her life but never thought much of them as it was a mark generally seen at the temple in Yahebah and from afar. She had done many selfless things and never imagined that Yahal could mark her or would wish to. She was someone who loved him with all her heart and that was enough. Long ago she learned that he was busy and yet still saw her, was mindful of all she did, and had influence on her life. She didn’t need his mark to know that.

“Do you think it would be bad to be a servant of Yahal...and to come across one of these “Cursed” people, and to care about them? Many people in my life have made me feel unclean and I have felt uneasy around many, but … just because they are marked, wouldn’t the greater act be to love them despite the mark?”

She pondered at this and wondered what his opinion on the matter was. She wouldn’t ever want to go against Yahal so she listened intently and would pray about it later to herself.

As she did continue to read a little more, he poured some tea, so she said, “You seem to like tea. Maybe I can come make you some Yahebah tea one of these days.” she beamed him a little smile and wondered if he would like that. She figured if he kept books like this, perhaps he would enjoy something else of her culture. “I think The Bean sells it. You would like this?” she raised an eyebrow and rest her hands in her lap now that she was done reading. If he had more she would gladly read it as long as he wasn’t burdened by her, even into the night if he seemed interested in the topics. Once finished reading the few testimonies and stories, she drank her tea. Once again, seeing something strange in the leaves in the bottom of her cup. Something made her feel as if good was to come, as if she perhaps could see a fortune or something. She shook her head and set down the cup, trying to hide the worry on her face due to the fact she considered perhaps the stress of her life here was making her a bit loopy.

Elann
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Donor (1)

Postby Plume on August 10th, 2015, 10:35 pm

Upon being asked what the various terms meant, an eager gleam shone in Morian's eyes. "I do, in fact, but my knowledge has been acquired mostly through texts, not firsthand experience. Still, I will teach them to you as best I can."

"To start off," he began, "Ennervism is the name given for Yahal's god mark. The name itself, ironically I think, comes from a word that means to be drained of energy or life. But of course Yahal's mark does quite the opposite, preserving and safeguarding his chosen. Perhaps there is some hidden meaning to this name. I have speculated some on the possibilities, but I think in the end it does not really matter."

The priest took a sip of tea before continuing. "The other two words you mentioned, auristics and hypnosis, are two types of magic. I do not know how familiar you are with magic in general, but essentially auristics is a magical discipline that allows its user to see auras and learn certain things about the people or objects around them. For instance, if you read the aura of a person you might know what they are feeling. Or if you read the aura of an orange, you may be able to taste it without ever actually eating it. It is a very fascinating kind of magic, and one that most certainly appeals to scholars such as myself, though I have never shown much aptitude for such things."

"Hypnosis, on the other hand, is something I find a little more...cynical. For it is the art of manipulating people's thoughts and emotions. It can be helpful, like calming two people in a heated argument. Or it can be harmful, like convincing someone to feel so much sorrow they end their own lives. A master hypnotist is an individual to be feared. Having someone else control your actions and thoughts is an unsettling situation I try not to think about too often."

Morian took a brief pause here to reflect on the remaining words. "Aesthetics simply means appearance. How a thing looks to one's eyes, on the surface. And as for Chaon and Krivas...well, these god marks are in many ways as dangerous as Hypnotism. The first, Chaon, is given by Rhysol, the God of Chaos, Betrayal, and Lies. From what I know, it grants those favored by Rhysol the ability to curse others. They may be able to make a person's hair fall out or drive someone insane with paranoia with nothing more than a touch or whispered word. It is a truly terrible mark, and it is no wonder to me that Yahal would wish to protect his followers from this very kind of corruption."

"Last but not least, there is Krivas. It is granted by the Goddess of Fear, Ssena, and allows its bearers immunity to fear, an aura of confidence, and the ability to know and sense fear in others. It may not seem as powerful as a Chaon mark, but someone with a Krivas mark can know your greatest fears and use them against you. It is no power to be taken lightly, and yet again it makes sense that Ennervism would protect you from such an influence."

Once he was finished explaining all of these terms, Elann posed yet another interesting question. "Ahh, I do no think it would. In fact, I think Yahal would look favorably on those who try to lead those who've strayed back toward the path of righteousness. So long as your own heart remains pure, free of selfishness, evil, and hate, I see no reason not to feel compassion for others."

After this, they fell back into companionable silence for a little while as Elann began reading some of the testimonies, but it wasn't long before another question arose.

"I do very much enjoy tea, and it would be an honor to know what Yahebah tea tastes like when brewed by a true native," Morian nodded, smiling. "Perhaps the next time we meet, you can share with me the gift of tea from the South, and I can assist you in learning more of your god."

At that moment, a gentle rap could be heard, followed by a voice calling politely from outside the priest's door. "Morian, one of the Knights has come and would like to speak to you about some new documents that have arrived at the Archives. Do you have a moment?"

The priest answered that he would be there shortly, then turned to Elann in apology. "Alas, Miss Elann, our meeting has been cut short. Duty calls, as always, and this is not a summons I can ignore. But I do have from you the promise of tea, and you are always welcome here. Please, feel free to take your time and stay as long as you like, as my books and hearth are yours to use. Should you decide to visit again, you know here to find me."

Morian laid a fond, parting hand on the young woman's shoulder before slipping out of the door and closing it softly behind him. The tea, books, and room were left to Elann to use in her own privacy, and she was free to either stay and read more or return at another time and continue.

Moderation Note: :
Entirely up to you how you would like to proceed :) If you wish for Elann to learn more, feel free to have her keep reading. If you would prefer we wrap up the thread here, that is completely fine as well!

Plume
May I tickle your fancy?

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Elann on August 11th, 2015, 9:41 am

Elann was truly taken aback by the wealth of knowledge that Morian had. She may have had an emotional tie to Yahal, and may have been drawn to him from what she had read as a child, but he spoke of things she never had heard of. Yet this book and things she had seen confirmed that Yahal gave a mark to his followers of extreme circumstance. She didn't know why he chose some over others, but she kept this to herself.

Morian went over various vocabulary and magic types, which she had understanding of to a point, just not having understood what they were in the common tongue. As he proceeded to explain them she would slowly understand that she had heard these words before and knew their meaning.

"Oh Yes...okay I see."

However on the topics of various other God's marks she made a disgusted face at how evil they were.

"How could people be so malicious to others. I don't know what it takes to get to that point" she shivered emotively and drank her tea. His explanation of redeeming the lost though gave her a bolstered strength and hope that these could be turned from their evil. She thought about what he said, nodding slightly and then read her text a bit more.

At the mention of tea, he seemed receptive and she would do her best to give him the best brewed tea that she could manage. "That sounds like a great plan." She beamed a smile to her new acquaintance and hoped that their next meet was as wonderful.

Upon the knock on the door Elann carefully closed the book and couldn't help but hear what the man said to him. Elann then stood and shook her head firmly to Morian, "No no, I've taken enough of your time already. I will look forward to many future visits, be it tea or additional lessons. Thank you" She was not one to make a host feel burdened at all and it had already grown in her mind that she was taking a lot of his time. With that she nodded to the man at the door and gave Morian a little wave before heading out and letting him go about his business.

OOCThank you for running this for me! I think she got plenty of information for now. She may go back and read some more testimonies later and have tea with Morian. If I need moderation for that then let me know. If not I'll just rp that it happened. I had fun!

Elann
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Donor (1)

Postby Plume on August 12th, 2015, 1:39 am

Elann
Navigation +1 XP
Intelligence +5 XP
Observation +5 XP
Socialization +2 XP
Rhetoric +5 XP
Research +3 XP
Interrogation +3 XP
Philosophy +4 XP
Persuasion +1 XP

Lores :
  • Morian Devan: Priest of the Temple of All Gods
  • Penita Scrolls: Kept in The Archives
  • Yahal: Sacrifice All Selfish Desire
  • Yahal: Speaks to His Followers in Dreams
  • Yahal: Pure Mind, Body, and Soul
  • Morian: Epitome of Patience
  • Common: Expanding One's Vocabulary
  • Ennervism: Yahal's Gnosis Mark
  • Ennervism: Aura of Protection
  • Chaon: Rhysol's Mark of Corruption
  • Rhysol: God of Evil, Lies, and Betrayal
  • Auristics: Magic of Reading Auras
  • Hypnosis: Magic of Manipulating Thoughts and Emotions
  • Krivas: Ssena's Gnosis Mark
  • Ssena: Goddess of Fear
  • Yahal: Love Even Those Who Have Strayed
  • A Promised Gift of Tea for Morian

Loot :
-1 small, leatherbound book. On the cover is a simple design of a pair of wings. Inside, there are a few pages filled with notes regarding Yahal. These are Morian's own records of what he has discovered thus far on the God of Faith and Purity. He will have it delivered to Elann on the following day to her apartment by a helpful little Page, with a note attached. Here are the contents of the note:

Dear Elann,
Thank you for visiting the temple yesterday. I enjoyed our brief study together, as well as our thought provoking conversations. I have a small gift for you, and though it is not much, I thought perhaps you would make better use of it than I. You can pick up where I have left off and keep track of your findings on your god. I would, of course, be happy to assist anytime in your endeavors. I also look forward to tasting Yahebah tea.

Your friend,
Morian

Notes :
Thank you for participating in this delightful little thread ^__^ I hope you had fun and learned much!

Cheers :D
Plume
May I tickle your fancy?

Office
Scrapbook

Previous