Completed [The Temple of All Gods] Can you hear me?

Elann looks for information on Yahal

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

[The Temple of All Gods] Can you hear me?

Postby Elann on June 30th, 2015, 7:15 am

Timestamp 30th of Summer 515AV

Sleep could not find her, and yet comfort was there. She longed for answers and longed for a conversation that didn't involve what the weather was like, or learning more about random townsfolk in various talk. She was craving for her God. Though she worshiped, singing and dancing every night in her small apartment, it was the fellowship of her father and mother, not to mention her priest that she missed. It was early morning and the sun had not even begun to rise when she got up from her bed and began to dress for the day. She intended with all urgency to find this spoken about "temple". Somewhere here they sent the Penita scrolls and she was bound and determined today to find out where that place is.

After having a light breakfast she packed a light snack of raisins in her pouch and headed out the door. With a deep thud the lock of her door tightened and she knew her place was secure. She moved down the earth colored halls and to the stairs. Even at this early hour people were in the hallways. Small vendors had even gone so far as to set up their wares there to peddle. She moved past them in a hurried pace and threw her hood over her hair as she bounded down the stairwell of the Traveler's Row.

The time passed by as she hurried along, it seemed almost as if a bell had passed before she felt she was getting close. Perhaps she went the wrong way, it all looked somewhat similar to her. She had however managed to figure out what her apartment district looked like so she at the very least later could find her way back home. She came up to a building that was very temple-like, hewn of natural stone from local source and built in a very neutral shape. She figured she had found the right place and with respect, kept her hood up so as to keep her head covered.

As she pushed open the thick wooden doors, she was glad to see them unlocked. People probably came here at all hours of the day and night to seek refuge or to worship their Gods. Leth was probably worshiped in here at night and likely those she could see milling about in pews were of that caste. She quietly as she could, closed the door and shuffled to the side out of view. She wanted to take in the building without being a distraction to others. As she looked around she could see a man shuffling about on his own. He looked like a monk of some sort, and even though she was quiet as a mouse walking in, he seemed to notice her with a greeting look. Perhaps he was the one to bother? She headed his way, slowly taking in the architecture of the building as she went. As she approached him he could see a very beautiful young woman, but one who dressed modest, who kept herself purified and clean, but not dazzled and upkept. She was common by most regard and seemed somewhat shy to approach.
Last edited by Elann on December 25th, 2015, 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elann
Player

Words: 322359
Joined roleplay: June 24th, 2015, 10:19 pm
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Postby Plume on July 3rd, 2015, 11:47 pm

With a new season came new visitors. Not many, to be sure, but enough to spark the occasional sharing of knowledge and intellect that even a priest as solitary as Morian craved now and then.

Summer was a favorite amongst the children. Their chores were easier, the weather warmer, and adults often too worn by heat and bustling crowds to do much more than warn them to be careful before they scurried off to embark on one misadventure or another. Morian knew this just from sound of laughter and pattering footsteps rushing past his window from time to time.

The priest himself, however, preferred to keep to his book and quiet stretches of studying indoors. He always felt that the heat made his thoughts sluggish and the presence of too many people rather dizzying to behold. Sometimes he would leave his rooms to pace around the pews, partly to stretch his legs and partly to see if there were any visitors that day. Not to mention the temple itself, with its high ceilings, clean stonework, and lovely, stained-glass windows were always pleasing to behold, no matter how many times he'd already seen them before.

It was during one of his casual strolls within the temple that the priest happened to notice a newcomer enter. She was young, likely having not yet seen her twentieth year, and bore the trademark features of those who thrived beneath Syna's relentless radiance in lands farther south than most Sylirans could even dream of.

The Benshira seemed shy at first, but required nothing more from Morian than a welcoming look before she made her way towards him, admiring the interior of the temple as she walked.

"Lovely, is it not?" the priest commented with a smile, offering his hand in that familiar gesture of greeting once the young lady was near enough. "It is good to see a new face here in the temple. Ah, but where are my manners. I must be spending too long lost in my studies to forget such basic courtesies."

He retracted his hand then to clasp both together and give a short little bow. "Morian Devan, humble priest within this temple, at your service. And who might I have the honor of meeting for the very first time?"

Plume
May I tickle your fancy?

Words: 139803
Joined roleplay: January 24th, 2015, 8:22 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook

Postby Elann on July 4th, 2015, 5:46 am

Elann extended her hand in kindness and returned the smile in kind. Though nerves seemed to jumble up inside of her, she kept them down for the sake of exploration. Her eyes had searched out the building, observing it and finding its hidden crevices and unique designs, yet now her blue shimmering eyes looked down and studied the kindly priest Morian Devan. She liked that he was not dominating over her so much in height and rather enjoyed his mild green eyes. Most of all she enjoyed that he was not robed like someone who was above others but just seemed to wear common sackcloth. Her hand gladly met his in typical fashion of women she had seen being greeted by men about the town. As she went to shake his hand he could see her actions were a bit out of place and not quite with confidence. She after all had only done it once or twice.

"It is very beautiful", she looked again at the light filling the room through the stained glass and now wished that she had such decoration for her very own window. Her eyes returned gently to him as he continued on. She let go of his hand, clasping her hands at her waist and nodding her head in response to him and his bow. She considered his name and how he was was cordial with her. His peacefulness was something that she found refreshing in her heart in contrast from the hurried pace outside the doors a ways back behind her.

"My name is Elann, from the tents of Shlomet, of the sons of Rapa", she smiled kindly to him took in a steep breath. Her nervousness was subsided a bit but she was still a little on edge. For her, this city and its culture was a whole new world, one that she didn't fully comprehend what she was allowed to do and what she wasn't. Her determination though was admirable and she with ambition asked him. "Could you tell me?" she paused a brief moment and then continued with an inquisitive tone, "I hear there is a place that has Penita scroll? Is this the right place?" Common of course wasn't her main language but at least she was probably more understandable than some of the people who came from her homeland.

Other's Words ~~ My Words ~~ My Thoughts
Elann
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Donor (1)

Postby Plume on July 7th, 2015, 8:51 am

Morian listened attentively as the young woman accepted his handshake and formally introduced herself. He had guessed at her heritage from her crystalline eyes and darker skin alone, but her distinct introduction solidified his theory.

The priest's eyebrows rose a fraction upon hearing mention of Penita scrolls. "Our great city does indeed have the honor of housing the newer versions of the scrolls. They do not get sent often, but when they do it is a momentous occassion, at least for those who are devoutly religious or scholars. Though they are not the originals, the illumination versions are quite beautiful to behold, and I find myself often wishing there was a copy here in the Temple so that I could study it day and night."

He gave a small sigh. "Fortunately for the scrolls themselves, they are kept in the safe-keeping of the Knights. Unfortunately for us, said safe-keeping is done in the Syliran Archives, where access is restricted largely to the Knights. It is heavily guarded and they do not often let those who are not members of the Order inside."

The priest paused for a moment, considering. "Shlomet, that is a name I have not heard before. Though I do know Rapa...Rapa the kind, yes?"

Morian gave a mildly apologetic smile to the young woman. "Forgive me, my thoughts often wander. Well, Elann, I know I do not have the extreme privilege of showing you the scrolls myself. But I do have a few tomes here in the Temple concerning Yahal, some even from the perspective of those who do not share your origins."

It was not uncommon for first time visitors like Elann to come to the Temple seeking guidance or information. The Archives were, after all, closed to the general public and religious books or scrolls hard to come by if one was not a native to the city and still grasping at fluency in Common. Given this, Morian was rather prepared from his many previous encounters over the years. Sometimes he even found himself collecting books on subjects he was already well versed in, knowing that another knowledge-seeking soul might find it useful in the future.

"If you'd like, I could show them to you. I am guessing that you wish to learn more of the God of Purity and Faithfulness. Perhaps you could tell me what you know, and we could move on from there to see which texts might prove most interesting and worthwhile to you?"

Plume
May I tickle your fancy?

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Elann on July 7th, 2015, 11:29 am

The girl was somewhat saddened at the lacking ability to read the scrolls. She knew they were a copy, but imagined them to at least have some sort of spare copy on hand. With a dipping head she showed her sadness. Only his thoughtfulness to her ancestors brought a slight smile to her face. She nodded kindly at the man's inquiry of the name of Rapa.

"Yes that's right." she highly doubted the man would know of her father Shlomet. There were many in among progeny of Rapa, and even more now in her generation. They held a high set of esteem since they were the tenders of the temple for the most part. She bore him a smile to his apology for rambling. She honestly didn't mind and loved it when others talked in general, even more so when it was about Yahal. While she was on guard in her heart about what little she knew of Yahal, she was open to hear him. She considered a moment about the scrolls he would show her about Yahal and it seemed like a fair concession.

"What do I know..." she was on the spot and she shuffled a little bit and looked down a bit in thought. It almost seemed like she didn't know anything of him for a moment, but then out of no-where came a large smile and she lifted her head up to briefly look to him and then even higher in lofty dreams. She hugged herself and said, "I know he loves me. There is none like him...He is glorious and magnificent, and in my failure, he treats me like a child." she shakes her head. "Like a child who does something bad and then comes back. This is how he is to me." She was having difficulty expressing what she knows in common so she kept it short, but there was a love in her eyes. She looked back down to Morian and said in a longing voice "He considers me...Me. I am nothing. And he sees me as like a bride on wedding."

It was not uncommon for the people there in Eyktol to have copies of the scriptures passed around so she had actually read and learn this herself from copies of the scroll that had come to her. Could she quote him year and symbol? No, but it was the general theme of Yahal that she knew. She wondered if that answer was good enough for his inquiry or surpassed what others had written. "This makes sense?" She had hoped what she said all made sense. While she wasn't poor at the language, when it came to words of emotion, the words of Common couldn't express what she wanted to say of him. The words of Yahal in Shiber meant so much more. She tilted her head in curiosity to see if he got the point though.

Elann
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Donor (1)

Postby Plume on July 9th, 2015, 10:29 pm

Morian nodded, a knowing smile on his scruffy face. "Ah, yes. Yahal's affection can be as radiant as that of Syna's, but less scorching to the touch. Lest you wrong him of course, though that is another matter entirely."

It was a typical response from the priest, with no intention to offend. His thirst to know more of all the gods and goddesses bordered on obsession and so it was not uncommon for him to make casual observations such as this with none of the partiality that devotees would possess.

"It certainly does make sense, Elann. Yahal's love for you is unconditional, like that of a parent, and he will always forgive you, always see you for the brightness of your devotion and individuality." Morian slid both his hands into his sleeves, a habit of his whenever his thoughts began to delve deeper into a given topic."I imagine that if I could understand Shiber, an explanation in your native tongue would be next to sublime."

He removed his hands from his sleeves and waved them in the air. "Ah, but I digress again. If you would like to learn more of your god, Elann, from what texts I do have in my possession, all you need to do is follow me. This way, please."

Should the Benshira agree, Morian would lead her to his private studies. It wasn't much in way of a room, spartan as it was, but it did have two wooden chairs with soft cushions upon the seats and a few sturdy shelves lined with books. The priest would offer one of the chairs to Elann before moving to take a couple books from his shelves, treating them with utmost care. Some of them were rather old and needed delicate handling.

"So, Elann," he said as he placed the books on a simple, wooden table between them. "How fluent are you in reading Common?"

He opened one of the books very carefully to the third page. There was an illustration preceding the text, and he pointed to where the words began so that she could perhaps attempt to read it for herself. "Here is where the introduction to this particular book begins. It is a very general history of Yahal and his followers, but it may be of interest to you. Of course, I could read it aloud instead if you prefer."

Plume
May I tickle your fancy?

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Elann on July 10th, 2015, 6:48 am

As the robed man spoke, she watched the features of his smile spread across his scruffy face. His words danced in her ears and her face lit up with excitement. It wasn't so much what he said, but what she had learned of him being affirmed in her ears almost made a twinge in her eyes indicating tears were near. Her eyes began to water out of joy with the slightest sheen as what he spoke really touched her. She nodded with an exasperated sigh at the thought of wronging him. She confessed to Morian, "I cannot think this. It hurts my heart." It was plain for him to see that her love for him was not only like that of a daughter who loved her father, but also as a bride in waiting yearned for her groom to be.

Elann was a sweet girl by all appearances. Though she was graced with beauty from the Gods themselves, a life of gentleness, and filled with love, she had something special in her. That light from within, and as Morian spoke it just got brighter and brighter. She didn't really understand what he meant immediately about Shiber and then figured it was him trying to say that her tongue had more meaning of the words to Yahal than the common tongue. "Yes yes...so much more beautiful" she then spoke in a little Shiber blessing Yahals name in her singsong voice. It was beautiful in melody and was expressive of how much more her words in Shiber meant compared to just a normal blessing. She then looked back down with a grin and patiently listened. She nodded to his invitation and gladly accepted. "Yes please!" She was beaming with excitement to see what secrets lie in his study.

As she moved into the room she moved to a chair as he positioned himself in the room. Her weaver's fingers danced lightly over the fabric, in her mind being able to tell what it was without looking. When he offered her the seat she smiled and brushed her arm along the back of the chair as she moved around it to sit. She straightened her posture like that of a noblewoman would sit but it was done more in anticipation for what he had in store for her. She watched him pull books from the shelf and watched with her piercing blue eyes as he handled them with care. She admired that about him as she did the same thing with her scrolls at home in the years past. She watched as he slid it close to her onto the table between them.

Flashing eyes up to his she wondered at his question and said with an embarrassed comment, "I am alright reading in common. Some words I do not know yet, but I can understand" she nodded and fortunately wasn't poor in the language. She studied his movements as he turned the pages and she could see the beautiful illustration preceding the text. She brought a hand up to it to lightly touch it with her finger in expression of its beauty and then did not touch it any further; respecting its age. She merely held the previous pages down with a light finger to ensure the book did not close anything on her. It seemed like the spine was still intact despite its age. She was not used to the flowing writing that they used and had some difficulty reading it at first, but once her brain began to convert the text into a font she could understand she shook her head to him and said, "I should be okay. I may ask somethings." She would continue reading the book till the subject was done speaking of Yahal and then would find him and tell him she was done. If he had more texts she would gladly read those as well.

Elann was much different than many of her tribespeople as they would go about their daily lives and occasionally go to the temple and feel that was enough. In the end they were easily deceived and often were in misery. This one however sought Yahal herself, of her own will, her own mind, and loved him as he was. In her daily life every moment she meditated upon him it seemed and could she find some other way to sacrifice herself more for him she would do so. That was why she was here, to find his scrolls, and while that didn't happen, it was an alright concession.

Elann
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Donor (1)

Postby Plume on July 12th, 2015, 10:22 pm

Morian nodded as Elann explained her abilities in common. "By all means, I am here to answer any questions that may arise."

Once she began to read, the priest sat back in his chair with his hands folded on the table, waiting patiently for her to finish or ask him any questions. The tome was of medium size and length, its introduction no more than a few pages long, but there were several chapters regarding his followers after the Valterrian. Anything before the apocalyptic event was rarer than rare.

The introduction began as follows:

"Not much is known about Yahal and his followers before the Valterrian. Though there is evidence of some monasteries built in his honor, it is rarer than an oasis in the Eyktol to find any survive text regarding those who constructed these establishments. Nevertheless, one only needs to spend a few days and nights with a group of Benshira to understand the kind of influence Yahal still has in present day Mizahar.

Those who follow the god of faithfulness and purity are expected not only to have faith in their beliefs, but in themselves as well. Those who stray leave themselves vulnerable to corruption. Many have claimed that for each sheep lost amongst Yahal's herd, one is gained for Rhysol, the god of Evil, Chaos, and Lies. Because of this, Yahal is known to only accept those who actively opposite the vices so often practiced by mortals, including deceit, betrayal, and selfishness. He is known as a merciful god, though jealous if his followers wander, and those who abandon his ways are allowed to meet the misfortunes of their follies.

Yahal's followers number most commonly amongst the Besnhira and Syliran Knights. He favors those who maintain a pure mind, body, and soul, and some have claimed they have seen him in their dreams or heard his voice, which they describe as quiet and still, like a breeze in the desert. Still others say they can see parts of his spiritual domain and feel as though they are returning home, though it is hard to prove whether these visions hold true.

In short, to earn Yahal's faith and love is to sacrifice all selfish desire. The path of those who seek his approval is not easy, but filled with timeless rewards of their own. "

The next page revealed a table of contents. There were only three chapters and they were simply titled as follows:

Chapter 1: Worship
Chapter 2: Ennervism
Chapter 3: Songs of Praise

It was left entirely up to Elann which chapters she preferred to read or skip and the order with which she did so. While she read, Morian had gotten up to heat some water over a small brazier and begin brewing some tea. This was not going to be a short session, he could tell, and he still preferred to have a conversation with the young woman once she was finished about all she had learned.

Plume
May I tickle your fancy?

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Elann on July 13th, 2015, 4:13 am

Combing over the text in the front page she delighted. There was good and bad in it. She had not wandered from him, but when she had begun to at various points in her life to betray her feelings of Yahal, she felt horrible inside. It had always steered her back to his path, as if the very disappointment of her father rest upon her. The mentioning of Rhysol was new to her though. She had never heard of him and immediately she did not like the sound of him. A worried look came over her face as she read the next parts. It seemed there was a bit more to this than met the eye from her own reading. It made her stop reading in for a brief moment in thought, but it was not enough to keep her from continuing to pour over the page. There was so much more to read it seemed. She had some difficulty with some of the words but in time and using the context she figured she knew what they were.

"Pure mind, body, and soul. Dreams. Heard his voice", she thought. This was all so deep to her. She definitely treasured this meeting and had learned a lot of it so far, but this section really spoke to her. She had heard his voice before and it was just as described, still and quiet. She had dreamed many dreams of Yahal over the years and the closer she got to him the more it seemed like she dreamt them. Whether it was because he was always the subject of her mind or because he actually was speaking to her it is not known, but in her perception he loved her and would speak to her through her dreams because of her love for him.

She thought on the last point and looked up to Morian. "Umm...this I read. Sacrifice all selfish desire. It is speaking about his approval. What is this selfish desire? Do nothing? Or is this things that take me away from Yahal? Like a betray of my feelings for him?" Elann would notice the table of contents and would start at chapter one. She then turned through to its end, just to see how long it was. If it was long, and there were three chapters, she could not stay here all day and read.

"Could I come back to read these chapters? I could come and read till all is read. That way you can do other things than sit here all day with me" she chuckled lightly and looked to him for an answer.

Elann
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Donor (1)

Postby Plume on July 22nd, 2015, 12:00 am

The young woman appeared to be sincere in her quest to understand more of her god, Morian noted. He had just finished brewing some tea when she looked up from the tome to ask him a most interesting question.

"Ahh, selfish desire," the priest nodded, "I supposed in Yahal's eyes, they would indeed be things that take you away from him, that betray his ways of purity and faith."

He set down two cups on the table first before grabbing the handle of the kettle with a thick cloth. Then, with careful, steady motions, he poured the freshly brewed tea into each of their cups. It was a simple brew of chamomile and lavender that he had purchased this season from Mistress Sahfri at Stormhold Salves, but he found that it often calmed his thoughts in the face profound or deep thought.

Morian let his tea cool as he pondered on Elann's question. His hands disappeared into the sleeves of his simple robes--a common habit whenever he thought deeply about something.

"Selfish desire you could say is anything that blinds you to acting and thinking purely. Some believe all desire is selfish desire. They live a life of the strictest discipline, taking no pleasure from worldly things like food or clothes or company. Others believe it is more loosely defined as craving something or someone too much. After all, how can one focus on Yahal if one is lusting after another or worrying everyday about money?"

The priest paused for a moment to blow at the tea in his cup and take a small sip. "But then again, Yahal does not condemn love. His followers still have families, make friends, celebrate life. I suppose in the end, Elann, there is no black or white answer for me to offer. Only that it seems Yahal understands us mortals must sometimes find our own paths to understanding. Perhaps that is why he is a forgiving and merciful god, as are mothers and fathers all across Mizahar. Mistakes are a part of learning, and so long as you seek to progress toward that purity, the definitions are really for you to discover on your own."

Morian smiled and shrugged, taking another sip. "But that is just the rambling of one scholar priest amongst many. 'Tis a good question though, I think. I will be pondering this for a while. Thank you, Elann, for that gift. As for coming back to read the next chapters, you are more than welcome. And please do not think of yourself as a burden. It is for this purpose that I exist; I serve the pursuit of divine truth."

He set his cup down to flip gently a dozen or so pages ahead, where the second chapter began. "Here, this one is the shortest chapter of the three. Only a page or two long. I think you will find this particularly interesting." The priest said this last sentence with a knowing little smile.

Plume
May I tickle your fancy?

Office
Scrapbook

Next