The start of a bad joke

A journeyman Maledictor and and novice Glypher walk into the woods...

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The westernmost tip of Kalea, Wind Reach is home to an amazing group of people and their giant eagle mounts. [Lore]

Moderator: Solstice

The start of a bad joke

Postby Morgan the 7th on August 22nd, 2015, 9:03 am

She grabs the hilt, tightly in her hand. If it were just a goat, shed use her own spears, just like anything else, but this creature was the... Well. You wouldn't feed a king on a wooden platter, and you wont kill a stag with a simple spear.

Stepping up to the stag, it raises its head, staring down its ender, knowing that this person was the cause of its ails. Morgan placed her left hand on the base of its neck, where its collarbone met with its spine. Staring still into the eyes of the creature, she understood the stories of its life. It was tens of years old, nearing its end already. It'd seen fires in this clearing, brought about by fools, molten rock, or simple drought. It had drunken with apex predators, too thirsty to slay him. The mountains were his.

And now, they were not. The deed was done, quickly. Through the ribs and into the heart. The pain would have put it into shock, if not unconsciousness, and the bloodloss would finish the deed.

Quickly, she cleaned the blade on the leaves of a bush, and handed it back to Seren, and passed her by, reaching into her saddle bags, taking the ropes from her tent, a fairly large knife, and her embalming equipments.

Within a minute, she'd hung the creature, removed its head, and started on its skin. In ten minutes, it was disemboweled, and within 15, quartered. The head she kept, and had given the preliminary salts for preservation, and the skin, she removes the fat from, and started to rinse and shave it.

"Follow me, there's a river nearby, we can rest there for a spell and head home. The rest of the fence is empty, and I need to soak the skin." She said, bundling up the ropes and hanging the quarters from the saddle on her horse, and packing as such .
Morgan the 7th
Nightclaw
 
Posts: 20
Words: 11096
Joined roleplay: August 19th, 2015, 10:49 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

The start of a bad joke

Postby Seren Coolwater on August 22nd, 2015, 9:14 am

While Seren was not bothered a bit by blood, watching Morgan treat the intestines of what used to be a creature with such practice and speed definitely caused her some discomfort. Still, she made herself watch, knowing she'd probably have to do the same some day. This was nothing like cleaning a fish, though. Just the sheer size of the beast made sure of that. Seren glanced at the rope-like intestines piled on the ground nearby and nearly lost her breakfast. Her eyes turned a sickly pickle green. Her sword lay forgotten on the ground next to her.

Finally she turned away when Morgan began preserving the body. This looked like a process for malediction, not hunting, so it wasn't necessary for her to watch, and her stomach had done a lot of flipping and turning today. Finally, it sounded as though they were done.

Her body gave a fearful clench, and her eyes turned a deep red when Morgan mentioned "river." Seren hoped it was more of a stream than a river. Normally, she wouldn't go near such a thing, but she desperately needed a wash, at least of her hands. If she ever actually got to Wind Reach, she doubted they would appreciate a mage walking in covered in runes (especially mediocre ones).

Giving a sigh and preparing her mind, she said, "Alright, let's go."
Seren Coolwater
Player
 
Posts: 25
Words: 12997
Joined roleplay: August 20th, 2015, 12:07 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

The start of a bad joke

Postby Morgan the 7th on August 22nd, 2015, 8:35 pm

As Morgan led her companion along, it might've appeared that she was aimlessly wandering, for they certainly weren't on any path. Or at least, not any path that was obvious to anyone except Morgan herself. Something else that may not have been obvious to anyone except Morgan, was Morgan. She was being quiet. Or at least, much more quiet than was normal for her. In fact, unless you could have pulled away the entire forest, the winds of the mountains, and the crush of leaves and detritus on the forest floor, you mightn't even think she was breathing.

Soon, they pulled close to the river, which, being in the mountains, wasn't exactly the coursing lifeblood of the world, but it wasn't a tiny crick either. It was maybe 10 paces wide, and anywhere between 3 and 5 paces deep in it's center. Morgan quickly made her way to the bank, taking out the hide again, preparing to soak the hide, so that at the least she could get the rest of the fat off of it.

"I don't usually uh... keep the hide. I just try to sell it to anybody that'll take it. But the skull will be nice. I think that'll be mine. Uh... Have you ever... um... mh..." It was readily apparent that Morgan wasn't the best at talking. It wouldn't seem that she was nervous, more that she was just... Preoccupied, perhaps.

"I can make you something from the deer, I have to clean the meat from it, naturally. The meat probably shouldn't be eaten, but just the salts probably wont do you wrong. Hm... I could... Make you knife. Or a spear? Perhaps a club..." Leaving some rocks to weight down the hide, she got up to inspect the quarters. "Look here, this... front leg... Hmmm" She says, thoughtfully feeling the upper leg, above the knee, "It could be long enough for... a short sword, maybe."

Taking the quarter, she sits at the bank, apparently not minding Seren's presence, and begins stripping off the flesh from the bones with one of her knives, leaving ribbons of still-pink meat to accumulate in a wet pile at her feet.
Morgan the 7th
Nightclaw
 
Posts: 20
Words: 11096
Joined roleplay: August 19th, 2015, 10:49 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

The start of a bad joke

Postby Seren Coolwater on August 22nd, 2015, 9:04 pm

Seren considered her options. She didn't have a whole lot of money, but she was expecting to get at least some sort of job whenever she got to Wind Reach. It might've been too much to expect, but still, she thought that she'd be able to make some kind of revenue.

"Let me think.... I'll take the hide off of you, depending on how much it costs. I don't have any experience handling weapons other than a long sword...." She thought for a bit longer.

Perhaps she could make a grip or something for her sword that she already had? But, no, she wasn't really sure if she needed some kind of expertise to attach it or something. Her best bet was probably some kind of trinket.

"Could you make something like a necklace or earring or something? I think that that would work much better. Also, what will this thing do?" Seren remembered from what Morgan had said earlier that there would be some kind of random effect, but she thought that Morgan might have a guess, at least.

Finally, she walks over to the river, hating the feeling of dirt and ink and whatnot on her hands. Sitting down on the edge, Seren grabs the soap out of her backpack that she carries with her at all times, and begins scrubbing. She scrubs and scrubs and scrubs, all the way to her exposed elbows, almost rubbing them raw. Finally, the ink came off, and she felt clean. Her legs and shoulders were still covered in the runes, but those were easy to cover, so it wasn't as important that she washed them yet.

Seren leans back a bit, trying to avoid focusing on the small river. She wasn't sure how deep it was, but it was still wide and fast enough to cause her some anxiety. Thinking about it, she whips her feet further from the water, bringing them up to her chest, and scooting a bit away from the river.
Seren Coolwater
Player
 
Posts: 25
Words: 12997
Joined roleplay: August 20th, 2015, 12:07 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

The start of a bad joke

Postby Morgan the 7th on August 22nd, 2015, 9:36 pm

What... Would it do? Morgan though for a time, what would it do. She always had... some kind of intuition, but there's no way to be sure. Of course, it's a stag, it's not like it'll give you... tumors... But then, it could be something strange. The stag was a strong creature, lively. Proud. It's story desires to be told, it needs to be. But then, on the other side... It's just a stag. It won't be powerful.

When she was holding just the Femur, about as long as her own, naturally. Stag were large. A bracelet, maybe, from the shoulder-joint end. Or... Hair pins... hmm..

She looked at the skull, and then at the antlers. She saw the way they curved inwards, nearly wrapping around each other. It was... strange. Anomalous even. Then inspiration struck.

Acting as if possessed, she scored and broke off the antlers at the base, and quickly began shaving down the curves, creating a small pile of chips and dust between her legs, widening parts, and leaving others narrow. Very quickly, the two pieces began to take a rough shape, being more refined and elegant as they went on. Finally, when she'd finished the carving, she cleaned her knife on her pants, and threw herself into the act of carving away her circles. As always, her circles were thin, almost ovals, hooking together and creating a sloping spiral pattern that began on one, ended on the other, and mirrored in the middle.

Morgan was never known to use words in her work, nor had her own Morgan, or his Morgan, or her Morgan. Instead, she carved in relief, bringing out a grand story of a proud stag, searching and questing all along the piece. When she finished, there was almost no space that wasn't scanned, searched, and examined by the caricature of the Stag.

When she finished, she nearly threw herself to the ground, landing hard on her should, and snatched up the foot of Seren. Feverishly, and fumblingly, she fitted what was apparently an anklet, to Seren's leg, and once one was done, she clambered over her legs and did the same to the other foot. Still in her lap, she turned over and said, breathlessly, with wide, excited eyes, "Anklets."
Morgan the 7th
Nightclaw
 
Posts: 20
Words: 11096
Joined roleplay: August 19th, 2015, 10:49 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

The start of a bad joke

Postby Seren Coolwater on August 22nd, 2015, 9:49 pm

Seren watched Morgan work like a madwoman with interest, seeing flecks of dust fly off as though it were a sand dune in the wind. Suddenly, Morgan began moving quickly towards her, in almost a menacing way. Seren had just placed a hand on her sword when Morgan grabbed her foot, placing the item on it. Relaxing slightly, she allowed her to do the same to the other.

"Er, thanks." It had seemed like a simple enough process, but Seren wasn't nearly versed enough in any magic to know how easy or difficult it was.

Taking a moment, she admired the anklets. They were somewhat crude (having been carved in the space of about 10 minutes), but still, in a way, artful and elegant. Certainly not something she'd mind wearing, especially if they gave her some kind of unknown ability. They seemed to emanate some kind of feeling, akin to hearing a great story. Seren almost understood the stag on some weird level; she knew next to nothing about it, and yet, she couldn't explain not knowing it like a brother.

Other than the feelings she was having, Seren felt no different. She guessed she would just have to experiment with the things to figure out what they did. Unless there was some profession that allowed them to find such things? The expense would be worth it.

"So, for the hide and the anklets, how much do you want?" Being somewhat friendly towards Morgan now, Seren also planned to make her something, but it would have to wait at least until they were in Wind Reach, so she didn't mention it. It would be dangerous to do, so she wanted to make sure that she could take the necessary precautions before taking on the task.
Seren Coolwater
Player
 
Posts: 25
Words: 12997
Joined roleplay: August 20th, 2015, 12:07 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

The start of a bad joke

Postby Morgan the 7th on August 22nd, 2015, 11:37 pm

"The hide isn't finished, and... Uh... I don't like it. You can have it. For um.. The uh... Anklets... Mh" she looks away now, staring at the distance. "5 pinnions, uh... No. 4. 4 pinnions." She crumples up her face like a piece of vellum or paper, and after a spell, she asks, "Will you do 6?"

"Mh... Morgan... He uh... Did the haggling, I think you can guess. I just... Mmmade the uh... Things. Small things. He did the big ones. Skulls and... Ribs. Spikes. I did finger bones... Once he gave me a pelvis. Made a uh... Fertility fetish. It apparently worked. Last time I saw that couple they had... Was it 7? Maybe 8 kids. They probably have 2 or 3 of them still."

And then deathly quiet, she whispers something under her breath. Perhaps a prayer. Or, perhaps even a curse, who can say?
Morgan the 7th
Nightclaw
 
Posts: 20
Words: 11096
Joined roleplay: August 19th, 2015, 10:49 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

The start of a bad joke

Postby Seren Coolwater on August 23rd, 2015, 2:58 am

"Six pinions would be fine. I'll have to wait to exchange them, though, unless you just want Mizas?" Seren wasn't sure even what a pinion was, but she assumed it was the local currency. She wasn't too worried about how much they were worth, because she was doing fine with money; other than a few niceties and trinkets that she was wanting to buy once she got to town, Seren wasn't planning on buying anything. And she could live in her tent if need be, so it was fine.

Seren heard Morgan mutter something under her breath, but it didn't seem directed at her, so she stayed quiet, lost in her own thoughts. She was a bit worried about not being able to find Morgan in a few weeks to get her her gift when she finished it, but if she didn't, that's bad luck for Morgan, and she could just sell it. Probably. In fact, it'd be better if she knew where Morgan was.

"So, uh, Morgan, I don't suppose you live in Wind Reach? I've been considering stopping my travels and living there, but I'm not really sure about the environment or anything and I was hoping for an inside opinion. What do you think of the place?"
Seren Coolwater
Player
 
Posts: 25
Words: 12997
Joined roleplay: August 20th, 2015, 12:07 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

The start of a bad joke

Postby Morgan the 7th on August 23rd, 2015, 3:16 am

"Uh... Ahem... Not... Uh... In it so much as, uh, around it. I have to live here. But I'm trying to leave. It's nice enough. If you're going to live here, go see about renting a space in the Commonrooms. Um..." She pauses, thoughtfully, "You um... Don't have to live in it. Just you know. You can... Put your uh... Stuff. Ahem."

"If you want, I can show you around the area, but first I should uh... Pack up. My stuff." She gets up, brushing off her pants and butt, and begins to put all her things back in her saddle bag, until she gets to packing up the hide. She looks at it, scowling, before rolling it up and handing it to Seren. "It's not... er, finished. You should take it to a hide worker to get it done. I wager you could get a fair price on it, given how rare large uh, animals can be in this region."
Morgan the 7th
Nightclaw
 
Posts: 20
Words: 11096
Joined roleplay: August 19th, 2015, 10:49 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

The start of a bad joke

Postby Seren Coolwater on August 23rd, 2015, 3:45 am

"Oh, uh, okay. Thanks a whole lot. For everything." It seemed as though they would be parting ways. Seren hoped that she would run into Morgan again sometime; hopefully she stayed around long enough to give her her stuff later.

"So, um, I guess I'll just give you the pinions in... A week? Just meet me wherever the town square type thing is in the city in seven days. I'll have your stuff then. I really appreciate everything, Morgan."

Seren walked to her horse, placed the hide in a saddlebag, checked for her sword, and set off towards the entrance of Wind Reach.
Seren Coolwater
Player
 
Posts: 25
Words: 12997
Joined roleplay: August 20th, 2015, 12:07 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests