Solo Partner Dancing

Sayana visits the Syliran Theatre to learn the basics of partner dancing from the Alvadas dance troop.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Partner Dancing

Postby Sayana on August 21st, 2015, 7:54 pm

Summer 36 - Syliran Theatre

When Sayana arrived at the Syliran Theatre garbed in her usual red attire, it was as though the space was completely transformed. The Alvadas performers were littered about in bright costumes. Some dressed in jester outfits while others had formal ball gowns. There were those of noble character and others that looked entirely villainous. But more noticeably were the large illusions that littered the area. A set of spiralling stairs seemed to lead to nowhere and a trapeze hung from the sky. There was a garden of flowers that was running about the courtyard playing chase and a giant elephant creature sitting on its rear spinning an enormous ball on its trunk.

The Eypharian blinked several times. She knew that at least two of the members of the troop could create illusions but the extravagance of it all still baffled her. One of the members dressed in a jester outfit ran straight for her. But before reaching her, he did a one handed cartwheel followed by a flip in the air landing but a foot or two away from where she stood.

“Sayana!” The acrobat cried out. “What brings you to this lovely theatre? We thought we’d do a few touch-ups on the place.”

She was still a little overwhelmed by the changes and it took her a moment to respond. But when she did, it was with grand gestures and much exuberance. “Hello hello! I see that your wrist is better?” “Nearly. I’m trying to keep off it.” “By doing flips?” Sayana gave a laugh at the thought.

“I’m here because I wanted to know how you did that dancing. Or how your friends did it.” Sayana explained gesturing to a couple who were dressed regally in a ball gown and suit. “I’ve never really danced with a partner or at least not in that way. And well, I have a wedding coming up and I would ever so much love to dance with my husband.” There was a glint of true happiness in her eyes and the lead acrobat couldn’t help but smile and glance down at her rounded stomach.

“Absolutely my darling. After all, you did me a huge favor that other day. I was in no position to perform and yet we managed to pull it off with your help. Let us first start with the proper positioning. Put your arm on my shoulder and your hand in mine.” The acrobat explained. He moved his right hand to hold her upper back and held out his left in a high grasp.

Sayana moved in at his instruction but for a moment she was at a loss of which arms to use. She decided upon using all three to rest upon his shoulder and simply used her high right to grasp his hand. Her other rights she let hang at her side.

“Now I feel that you have great posture and that you’re balanced. As a dancer that is good. But for partner dancing you also need something called connection. It’s that little bit of resistance that means when I move, you move with me. And not just your arm but your whole body. Sink into my hand on your back and let’s move forwards and backwards.” The acrobat explained in detail.

Sayana applied a little pressure on his hand with her back and also noticed that he pushed gently on her high hand. For a moment they were still, just feeling each other’s weight and then he made an obvious weight change to the left. Then as the acrobat stepped back, she had no choice but to step forwards because of that firm connection of his hand on her back. Nervously, her eyes darted down to see if she was about to step on his foot but they both seemed to be using corresponding feet so that they wouldn’t step on each other.

“Head up. Eyes on me.” The acrobat spoke sharply. “Otherwise it throws you off balance.”
Last edited by Sayana on August 23rd, 2015, 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Words: 1543550
Joined roleplay: September 22nd, 2014, 12:38 am
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Syliras Seasonal Challenge (1) Alvadas Seasonal Challenge (1)

Partner Dancing

Postby Sayana on August 23rd, 2015, 8:11 pm

The acrobat led Sayana forwards a few more steps, then stopped and started leading her backwards. The ‘connection’ totally changed for going backwards. She could no longer rely on feeling his hand on her back pulling her forwards. Instead she felt his hand press against her high hand and she tried to keep it steady as that feeling of compression built up.

“Now forwards and back but only when I lead you,” the acrobat continued. As he stepped back, Sayana stepped forwards. Another step and another step, and just when Sayana was going to do another, he stopped. She stepped gently on his foot but then quickly corrected herself. Then back, back, forwards. It was strange having to wait for him to decide what to do next and then react accordingly. Several times during the exercise she anticipated his move and usually it meant that she managed to step on his foot. Still, she was starting to get better and feel it more.

Then, with pressure on both her back and her hand, he started to turn. They both turned together and Sayana was surprised at how effortless it seemed. “Very good. Now we’ll work on the footwork. The first step is always traveling, the second catches up, and the third is in place.” He explained. “Then we repeat.”

Sayana was used to learning footwork, though often of her own creation, and managed to pick it up fairly quickly. What unnerved her a little was that she never knew where she was going. Sometimes she’d be wanting to go one way but then he would stiffen up and lead her in a completely unexpected direction. Still, if she focused on the connection between them it helped her not anticipate so much.
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Partner Dancing

Postby Sayana on August 23rd, 2015, 8:12 pm

“Close your eyes.” “What?” Sayana asked with a hint of protest. “You’re guessing. You’re trying to come up with your own things. Close your eyes and really feel the connection.”

Sayana grimaced a little and bit her lip at his instruction but eventually conceded. It was a little dizzying at first, moving and spinning without being able to see and her body was more tense than usual. But she waited and let him take the lead instead of rushing to do her own thing. It was also easier to focus on the slight pressure between them. As soon as he started to take a step she could feel his body shift and already knew that she would need to step as well. She never knew which direction he would be taking her in until the moment he was guiding her but in reality, she didn’t have to know. Her body merely had to respond and react.

“Some music?” The acrobat called out and in a moment or two a violinist in the troop began playing a slow but steady tune. “No, keep your eyes close.” He added when Sayana was about to open them to see how things were going.

She took a deep breath and kept them closed. Soon he was shifting his weight from side to side in time with the music and once he was confident that she was on the correct foot, they were off. The pair waltzed about the courtyard. Sayana focused on keeping the same pattern with her feet yet also waiting to feel the connection through her hand and back as to where to step next. There was only one point in which she stepped on his foot but that was merely because she had forgotten the third step of the pattern and was anxious to be moving again.

Partway through she snuck a peek and she could see how smoothly they glided across the cobblestones to the music of the violin. For the most part they danced by traveling in a large circle, but every now and then he mixed things up so she wouldn’t attempt to anticipate the next move.
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Partner Dancing

Postby Sayana on August 23rd, 2015, 8:14 pm

“What about spins?” Sayana asked as the song ended. “Surely this dance has some sort of spins or turns.” “True waltz you can do in this closed position for eternity around the dance floor, but I can teach you a basic turn if you like,” the acrobat answered.

He raised his hand and adjusted their grip so they were palm to palm. Then with a gentle pull upon her back he guided her towards the arch made by their hands. “Now under the arch and don’t forget to let go with all your other hands,” he said as he nodded to her left arms. For a moment Sayana hesitated since she wasn’t sure what her feet were supposed to do but then she just assumed it was the same footwork and used it to take her under the arch made by their hands. She managed to get her left arms up and over his shoulder alright and soon they were spread out and only holding on with a single hand.

“This is open position,” he explained. “But I think if you’re dancing with your husband you’d prefer the more intimate closed position.” With a gentle pull of her hand Sayana felt herself moving in another turn almost identical but it was the reverse of what she had just done. Soon she was back in the closed position and she had to remember to put her left hands back on his shoulder rather than letting them get trapped between their bodies.

“Again. I want to practice.” Sayana spoke eagerly and soon they were doing several more of these turns until she got comfortable with the movement. She had always been curious how two people managed to dance so harmoniously with each other and the more she danced with the Alvad acrobat, the more it started to make sense to her. Though naturally she began to start improvising and dictating her own timing, which he quickly put a stop to.

“There’s only one leader in the dance. And I’m leading. Unless you would so desire that role.” There was a slight challenge and tease to his voice. “If I lead, do I still get to do the turns?” Sayana asked cheekily. “I’d like to dance with my husband in a beautiful gown but he won’t know these steps.”

“There is something called back-leading,” the acrobat finally answered.
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Partner Dancing

Postby Sayana on August 23rd, 2015, 8:15 pm

They regrouped in closed position and the acrobat began to explain the concept. “I want you to start guiding me around and raise my arm when you want to do a turn.”

At first Sayana’s movements were timid since she wasn’t sure how she was supposed to move him. Also, throughout the entire lesson he had been telling her to wait and listen to his movements so it was a change in thinking too. She applied pressure to his shoulder, or more like the back of it, and tightened her hold on his outstretched hand. Then she started to dance while dragging him along with it.

To be honest, it was rather awkward and clumsy. Even though she was well trained in dancing, it had practically always been on her own so this was a new challenge for the Eypharian. Cleverly, she started looking out for ‘cheats’ and used some of her other arms to help guide and direct his body so it moved with hers.

She lifted his arm to spin underneath it and then spun herself back in once more. Meanwhile he stood awkwardly as he watched her and mimicked how a complete novice at dancing might act. With a laugh she finally said, “Teach me some more. I want at least a few things I can do on the day of my wedding.”

And so they worked at several other moves. Many of them she practiced back-leading through them. There were different kinds of spins and different ways to move together as a partnership. Sometimes they rotated together and sometimes they angled their bodies to be side by side and walk forwards to the music.

By the end she thanked him very graciously and in return he reminded her of how she had stepped in at the last moment and saved his dance at the Rearing Stallion. Both of them were glad of the way things turned out and he wished her the best for her special day.

To GraderEven though much of the dancing is at novice level, since this is a new dance for Sayana and since she picks it up quite quickly (since she's an expert dancer), I hope I can still get points for this.
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Partner Dancing

Postby Dove Brown on November 1st, 2015, 9:09 pm

Your Grades!
Brought to you on the wings of a Dove!

Please remember to edit your grading request. If you have any questions, comments or concerns regarding your grade, please do not hesitate to send me a PM.

Name: Sayana
XP Award:
  • Negotiation 1
  • Dancing 3
  • Interrogation 1
Lore:
  • The proper positioning in a partnered dance
  • Learning to dance for the wedding
  • Dancing: connection to partner
  • Keep your eyes on your partner
  • Dancing: letting someone else take the lead
  • Dancing: open and closed turns
  • Dancing: back leading
Notes: Nice little thread. Enjoy your grades.
Very busy at work. May not be around much for a while.
Threads: 3/3

Dove Brown
Keeping my head, my backbone, and my heart

Words: 181194
Joined roleplay: July 30th, 2015, 9:36 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Character (1) Mizahar Mentor (1)
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)