Closed Finding a Guide

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Finding a Guide

Postby Merevaika on August 30th, 2015, 10:03 pm

Merevaika

86th Summer 515
They needed a guide. Merevaika stood patiently outside the Blue Bull, waiting for Zephari to turn up. That was how they had arranged, and she had arrived extra early, bubbling with excitement. She was going to return home. She was going home. She was going to Endrykas. However she put it, it didn't do anything to stop the happiness inside her from growing until she was all happy, not a bad thought in mind.

Merevaika had spent all of last night, and this morning thinking about it. The Sanctuary was the best place for it. After all, Drykas found it closest to home, with the fields and horses everywhere. If they were lucky, they would find a guide there, and Merevaika didn't doubt it. She had heard that there were Drykas who stayed in Riverfall until a customer brought them to their true home. After all, it was better to be located outside the place only a Drykas could find if you planned to bring people to it.

When Zephari arrived, Merevaika would say a simple greeting, before explaining her plan. "Hello! We go to Sanctuary because there are lots of Drykas. There will be Drykas to take us to Endrykas." Then, unable to wait any longer, she would begin a brisk walk to the location, hoping Zephari would be able to keep up.

The journey, if Merevaika led, would be quick and direct - camping just outside the Sanctuary meant she knew how to get there, even if it was the only place she did know how to reach. Perhaps they would have a little bit of small talk there, perhaps not. Either way, it would be Zephari's choice to decide: Merevaika was too happy to think about it. She was going home.

"Pavi"
Grassland sign
"Common"
Last edited by Merevaika on March 21st, 2017, 6:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pavi Common

Merevaika
Player

Words: 569615
Joined roleplay: November 8th, 2014, 9:33 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)

Finding a Guide

Postby Zephari on September 1st, 2015, 8:57 pm

Zephari barely had the time make her greeting as she met up with Merevaika at The Blue Bull. Her backpack was heavier that she was hoping it was going to be, but not back breaking. She would most likely get used to it after a good few hours, but at the moment it was quite heavy.

Merevaika was actually truly hyper while they walked to the Sanctuary, practically bouncing with each step, it seemed like she could jump right out of her skin if somebody spooked her too badly. Zephari was the opposite. Very calm and quite, and was always taking her steps slowly, so that she could get her last looks at the city that had taken good care of her for the last half year.

"I can't say I am not gonna miss this place. While I am used to constantly being on the move, there certainly could have been worse places for me to settle down for a little while, not to mention the wondrous people here." Zephari rambled while they crossed the great bridge that spanned the waterfall and bay that made the center of Riverfall. The rising sun was just over half way above the horizon of the suvian sea, giving a warm glow to the hole city. The white towers shimmered in the glow, making the whole city look just as fantastical as the stories she'd heard as a child.

"But it's good to be moving. I've heard many stories about the Sea of Grass. Giant birds with no wings and beaks of steel, random craters and extensive cave systems. How much of that is true?"

oocGo ahead and ramble about Endrykas and the sea of grass in the next post, and I'll take care of creating the npc guide, I just need a little more time to fine tune him.

This is the color of speech.
This is the color of others speech.
This is the color of thought.
Zephari
The Collector

Words: 107646
Joined roleplay: February 22nd, 2015, 7:27 pm
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

Finding a Guide

Postby Merevaika on October 16th, 2015, 9:02 pm

Merevaika

Zephari, unlike Merevaika, was slow and calm, taking in the last views she would have of the city almost longingly, as if she didn't want to leave. The Drykas had no idea about her history there, and almost understood it. Not enough though - she would never see the appeal of a city that stayed still, and was made from stone, not canvas.

The Benshira mentiomed something about the Sea of Grass and Merevaika's attention moved back to her, seeing it all in her head. There were dangers, but all risks came with beauty, and that was what it held. Zephari had heard right, but there was so much more to all those things, and to the plains beyond. So much to tell her. So much to show her.

"The birds are glassbeaks: their beaks are transparent, giving them their name. Some call them ugly, others think they up are beautiful in their own way. They all agree on one thing though. They are deadly. Faster than our Striders, more violent than Zith. Horrible things." Memories of mutilated bodies appeared in her head, bones picked clean of flesh and belonging broken and scattered. The feeling of being lost, as the chilling winter wind whipped around her, carrying snow. She pushed them back.

"And there are craters, the Sundowns mainly, and the underground cave systems. There are the Underwatch who patrol them, the underground version of the Watch, the law keepers of the city Endrykas.

"The Sea of Grass has more though: it is filled with creatures and bursting with life in a delicate balance. There are predators, like the glassbeak- night lions are second only to them, who threaten our lives, and there are prey, who we depend on. Everyone is a hunter, or they cannot live. Everyone can survive in the Wilderness, because they have to."

She sighed, imagining it too well to not feel nostalgia. It hurt, being separated from all she knew and loved, and this only sped her up, until she was practically running.

"Pavi"
Grassland sign
"Common"
Last edited by Merevaika on October 26th, 2015, 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pavi Common

Merevaika
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Finding a Guide

Postby Zephari on October 24th, 2015, 1:53 am

The description reminded Zephari greatly of her homeland, where everything was about the fight to survive and move on. Though the difference sounded like everything was based around one larger community. Back in her homeland, each caravan took care of it's self, and it's members were entirely interchangeable, often being entirely different after each city.

"Reminds me of home, back in the deserts of Eyktol. Always have to be on the move looking for water and food. Though there is probably less giant insects and fire geysers."

Arriving at the Sanctuary, Zephari was immediately reminded of the size of what she was about to undertake. New environment, new city, new people, new dangers. While this was worrying, it was exactly what the benshira needed. The constant moving and danger is what city life lacked. This brought some determination to get moving into Zephari's heart, so she started looking around for any drykas that looked like they were not planning to stay for long, spitting away from Merevaika so that they could cover more ground.

One man peaked her attention after less than five chimes of looking. A middle aged Drykas man who had a jet black horse, what was looking like he was packing up to head out. Seeing her opportunity, she approached him.

"Hey, you wouldn't by chance being heading back to Endrykas would you?" she asked quickly ans simply. Turning around he revealed a mostly bare and heavily scarred chest. Dark hair with light green eyes, he had a demeanor of exact control and authority. This actually spooked the benshira slightly, causing her to take a step back.

"Yeah I am, who's asking?" the drykas responded in a surprisingly high pitch voice. He snapped a saddlebag close and looked the benshira over, studying her.

"Um, me and my friend here are looking for a guide to lead us there. We are willing to pay a reasonable amount for the service." she said, slightly nervous about the man. He didn't seem dangerous just very strange, and that was slightly worrying. But he seemed strong and capable, and a good fit for a guide, as weird as he looked.

"Call your friend over and we can talk, though if either of you are incompetent it's a no. I don't shepard idiots." he said sternly, returning to setting up his bags.

I hope the rest of the drykas people are more friendly than this guy. Though given that this guy could probably beat an Akalak in a headbutting contest. Looking around, Zephari called out for her companion. "Merevaika! Found someone!"

OOCWhy no coding in your last post? Don't you usually color code your speech?

This is the color of speech.
This is the color of others speech.
This is the color of thought.
Zephari
The Collector

Words: 107646
Joined roleplay: February 22nd, 2015, 7:27 pm
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

Finding a Guide

Postby Merevaika on October 27th, 2015, 9:44 pm

Merevaika

It reminded Zephari of her home, apart from the fire geysers and giant insects, and Merevaika was about to ask about them, curious about the deserts, but arrival at the Sanctuary distracted her, and the women split up, searching for someone to take them back. The Drykas had little luck, only finding a young boy with his strider who appeared to permanently reside around Riverfall, speaking Pavi with an accent of Tukant.

Thankfully, Zephari did have the luck, and she called her over. Merevaika jogged over, eyeing the Drykas up. He had a beautiful black horse, a fiery mareI'll change if need to! who held her head high and kept a firm stance. Just as she had suspected, this trait was echoed in the man, who had a demeanor of control. He was bare chested, covered in scars, and was working on his bags.

The man looked strong, broad and muscular from where she stood. There was something about him that betrayed experience out in the wilds, and so he would be a good guide. As a guide herself, Merevaika knew that. Of course, she couldn't judge how he would act out there, whether he would protect them, or lead them through danger, but that could only be discovered out on the field. With any possible guide, that knowledge wouldn't exist until they hired them.

Merevaika just about managed to catch the last part of what he said. "I don't shepard idiots." Smiling, she agreed with him, knowing how hard it was to guide someone when they were a fool, choosing danger rather than playing safe. There had been many, some foolish in their ignorance, others foolish for risk taking. Not that Merevaika wasn't a risk taker.

Greetings, service required, journey Endrykas, possible? she signed quickly, glad to finally have someone to sign to. Unless, of course, the man didn't know Pavi for some strange reason, but she doubted it. It was the language of the Drykas - of course he would know. It was Zephari who wouldn't understand, so Merevaika would have to work hard to try stick to common, so the Benshira would understand what was happening.

"I am Drykas, Merevaika Stormchaser, but I know not of webbing. I cannot lead. My friend and I need your help," she introduced, trying to explain her situation. She then realised she had mentioned webbing in front of Zephari - breaking the law? Her mind was fuzzy on those sorts of things, for she had little regard for them. Still, the Drykas might not like the mention.

Then again, Zephari could easily know. Perhaps Merevaika had even mentioned it the night before. She couldn't remember, and didn't try hard to do so. Simply mentioning webbing wouldn't be a problem. It couldn't be. They weren't even near Endrykas.

"Pavi"
Grassland sign
"Common"
Pavi Common

Merevaika
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Finding a Guide

Postby Aladari Coolwater on March 21st, 2017, 4:39 pm

Your grades have been spotted!
________

Merevaika

■ Socialization + 2
■ Storytelling + 1
■ Observation + 1

Lores
Lore of Drykas Law: Fuzzy on Mentions of Webbing
Lore of Drykas: Almost All Know Sign
Lore of Location: Sanctuary Houses Drykas Guides
Lore of Storytelling: More Memories Than One Can Share
Lore of Riverfall: City of Stone, Not Canvas

Additional Information
Zephari, your grades have been withheld due to almost a year's absence. If you come back, go ahead and reply to my PM and I'll add your grade.

________

Comments:

Sorry there wasn't much here to award. It was mostly walking and reminiscing- neither of which lead to much learning.

Don't forget to delete your post in the grading queue, and if you have any questions or concerns, feel free to PM me about your grade!

template by Orakan
"The sea always filled her with longing, though for what she was never sure."
- Cornelia Funke
Aladari Coolwater
Rock the boat.

Words: 267621
Joined roleplay: March 8th, 2016, 3:26 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes