Solo A New Home

And new knowledge.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Known as the Celestial Seat, Nyka is a religious city in Northern Sylira. Ruled by four demigods and traversed by a large crevice, the monk-city is both mystical and dangerous. [Lore]

A New Home

Postby Alija on October 1st, 2015, 8:46 pm

34th Autumn 515
Alija stepped off the boat with Kial in one hand and Trump held in the other, their bags on their backs and Rosco padding slowly beside them. The journey had been easy on all four of them, born for the sea, but she was glad to be back on dry land, albeit it being as foreign as it was. The man who had come to her about the will followed behind, face green with sickness. Unlike them, he found every moment torturous.

It was this little group that wound its way through the streets, mainly avoiding the monks that prowled them, eyeing the foreigners curiously. Whenever they came over though, the lawyer talked to them quickly, words uttered in a way Alija didn't quiet catch. They had a different accent, that was all, but when that accent was all she could hear, it was unnerving.

They quickly reached a tall stone building, tucked into the houses where it could easily be passed. A sign hung at the front, sticking out so people would notice it more, the word's simply carved: "The Ocean's Forge.". Alija smiled at it, realising what it meant. She would own the blacksmith. She would have her own little shop. Living in Nyka seemed better now, if only by a small amount.

The lawyer nodded at her, passing over the keys to the building. "It's yours now. I'll make the final arrangements if necessary, but everything you did on the ship will be fine for now." He disappeared quickly after that, and Alija was left staring at her new abode, wondering what might come of it.

She unlocked the door, entering the slightly dusty front shop. It was small and poorly furnished, but sweet, and she could picture the shelves lined with stock and herself manning the counter, in between working hard at the smithy. That would cause difficulty, but she would manage. It would take a few days to get used to, but she was determined to try.

Rosco settled into a position at the side of the shop, guarding the staircase that led up to another locked door. She was glad that she took him, as he would prove an excellent guard dog. Trump of course had to come, Kial and her inseparable, and Rosco wouldn't leave his friend.

Kial ran into the back room, and she followed him in, revealing a small stone smithy with the tools she required. The forge was simple, but would work well, and the anvil looked well worn. There was a bucket of water waiting, and soot still covered the floor. It seemed as if it was used everyday, well loved and cared for. Of course it would be: her father had a passion for blacksmithing even greater than her own.

Past that was an empty room, but there were signs that it had been used for storage when he had still lived. But now it was just as empty as it would have been when new. She struggled to stop the tears. If only she had been here with her father.
Last edited by Alija on February 23rd, 2017, 8:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Alija
Blacksmith and Aurist

Words: 349054
Joined roleplay: November 11th, 2014, 6:35 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

A New Home

Postby Alija on October 12th, 2015, 7:04 pm

The next place to explore was the upstairs, supposedly a large living space with kitchen, living room, two larger bedrooms and two smaller ones, an office and a bath. Fit for a large family, not for a young woman and her adoptive son. The staircase led up to a wooden door, the platform around it marked with it opening. She pulled out the key, slotting it into the keyhole easily, for a house that was meant to be empty for a little less than a season.

It turned easily too, a simple click all that was needed to open it, and she entered the hallway. It was a simple square room, a door on each side, staircase in the middle.

The one to the right lead to the the living room, with a large couch facing a fireplace, that still had embers in it. Odd. Definitely odd. It seemed like a fire had been there not too long ago. Alija didn't like it.

Returning to the hall, she entered the door to the left. It was the kitchen, a simple wooden floor with a stove, a small pantry to one side and a scullery adjacent. In the middle was a table with four chairs, and a hutch nearby held enough cutlery for four. It was all neat and tidy, but still looked lived in.

Exiting, Alija tried the final door: a desk and chair, a small cabinet and shelves that formed an simple office, just as described. But the ink was out, as if it had been used, and the start of some illegible writing sat on the desk, half written. Perhaps her father had written it, before he died.

But the date on it was recent - only a few days old. Who lived here? Ghosts? Intruders? She called Kial to her, not wanting him to be alone. Whatever was in this house, she didn't trust it. Rosco would protect them, but what if it was something he couldn't protect them from? Alija was weaponless.

She inched back out of the office, peering up the staircase. "Anyone there?" she called out, and a creak was heard. She pulled back. "What are you doing here?" Her voice was coarse and croaking, showing the fear. The man at the top of the staircase stopped, thinking.

"I live here, what are you doing here?"

Alija frowned. The lawyer hadn't mentioned this. This was never in the agreement. 'This is my house now. And before that, it was my fathers. Who are you?"

"Alja?" His voice was shocked, and he hurried down, a familiar face coming into sight. He had the same steady look and brown hair, gelled with precision, the same happy smile.

"Thegans? What are you doing here?"

"It's a long story. I better get your father." Her heart froze. Her father was dead. Was he crazy? Was he referring to a ghost? Thegans noticed the look on his old friends face. "He's alive. He always had been."

Things seemed to be just getting weirder.
Alija
Blacksmith and Aurist

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

A New Home

Postby Alija on October 12th, 2015, 8:19 pm

Thegans ushered her to sit in the living room, not spotting Kial, and hurried upstairs, calling her father's name. She did so, sitting nervously with her head spinning round to watch the door.

Her father entrance filled her with first fear, odd and inexplicable. She loved him, she always had, but seeing him alive when he was meant to be dead confused her emotions. She should have been delighted. Instead, her heart froze.

He entered steadily, followed by Thegans, but stopped when he saw Kial, who had been hidden by the back of the couch. His eyes filled with sorrow and longing, and he spoke. "Your... son? Who... when...?" Alija shook her head, and he seemed relieved, at least for a moment.

"He's Ms. Seagrass' son. He was so young when you left, you must barely remember him."

"Anais' child? But where is she?" Kial's look told him all, and he didn't press further, sitting beside his daughter. Thegans stood awkwardly to the side, and didn't say a word. Her father began to talk, a slow, steady beat which she got herself lost in, the story surrounding her.

"Your mother and I arrived here many years ago, as you know, after we received a letter detailing your aunt's illness. The first thing we did was purchase this building, the ship and the house, in hope that you could come visit and we could live here while tending to her. Then, after a season of trying to start up, we focused on finding her.

"You see, your mother had searched for her since our arrival, but after unsuccessful attempts, gave up to help me. Only when I was free she started again, and I aided her, asking the people and the monks, searching to find her. It seemed impossible, and I couldn't look anymore, leaving your mother to the task alone.

"It was a year of searching until we found out that your aunt was hiding from us. She refused to give up her location, and managed to pay good money to keep it hidden from us. Not surprising, considering how long it had taken us. Your mother was relentless, and finally found her in a small rundown house that she had just bought.

"It was becoming clear that your aunt was not ill in the common sense, but going mad. And we could do nothing but help her, despite her complaints. Your aunt refused to move, so we built up the building, furnishing it so she could live there. Your mother brought her food, brought her clothing, and spent all her time there, while I had to be here to tend the shop.

"Slowly, she started to disappear, not coming back for days on end. Then, almost three years after we had first arrived, your mother never returned, and I was left to look for her. Searching for her was harder than finding you aunt, who when asked if she knew, would just laugh manically. Eventually, I got that the aunt had sent her far away from here, as a slave.

"When I tried to find her, my sister-in-law refused to let me leave Nyka, setting men to watch the gates and docks. I tried my best, but to no avail. She threatened to kill me if she found me, and I locked myself up in here, almost mad. Then Thegans came, his voyage around the world bringing him to me, and he helped me devise a plan.

"I would fake my death, getting your aunt off my back. It worked, and the men are gone now. Of course, if someone saw me, they would know I wasn't, so Thegans would have to be the one to go out. Letters weren't working, so we sent out a man acting to be a lawyer, to fetch you a bring you here. There was no will, no conditions - we wanted you to purchase the house as a separate person, not connected. I fear for what she would do if she knew about you.

"Alija, this sounds shocking, but its true. There is nothing on you, but I urge you to take a different surname, just in case. Run the shop with Thegans, and I will help all I can, but no one must know I live. Alija, you will be safe. I just want to be certain."

Alija didn't say anything. "May I... May I see the rest of the house?" Thegans noddee, helping her up. This was all too much. Way too much.
Alija
Blacksmith and Aurist

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

A New Home

Postby Alija on October 12th, 2015, 8:26 pm

The next floor had the same hallway, one door leading to a small bath. The other two led to bedrooms. "We decided you will have one, your father the other. You are the two oldest, after all, and he finds these stairs hard to climb sometimes." Alija nodded, not able to speak. Her father was alive, and her aunt wanted to kill them. Her mother was a slave and her best friend was right next to her after so many years. It was crazy.

Her bedroom was large, a neatly made bed under a large window, the view of Nyka clear, and just behind the city the sea. A shell sat on the end table, and beside it an empty bookcase. There was a dresser and a wardrobe, where her clothes which sat on the shop floor would go, and simple benches on two of the walls. She didn't enter her father's bedroom. It would be similar, and she didn't want to think about him.

Next, Thegans led her up to the attic where the last two bedrooms would be found. They were about half the size of her own, a privy connecting them, and one was lived in: Thegans'. Kial would sleep next door, in the room above hers. The ceiling was a little low, especially towards the ends, but it was perfect for a young boy, and the window opened to a marvellous view. He loved it, and settled on the floor playing with Trump. Alija left them, turning to Thegans. "So, what's your story?" she asked, trying to get her father's out her head.

"As you know, I left to become a Syliran knight, but when I arrived, I realised that wasn't for me. I was an excellent xplorer, a traveller, and left to search the globe. It's dangerous out there, but if you know the right people and pay the right price, you can go anywhere. Up north in the snow, in Eykotl and the desert, passing through jungles and plains, over mountains and seas. I made my way doing obb jobs, whatever I could to pay for my way, and have learned so much, more than any student ever would. How about you, where did you end up? Uni, like you dreamed? Are you now a proficient mage?"
Alija
Blacksmith and Aurist

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

A New Home

Postby Alija on October 12th, 2015, 8:51 pm

text
Alija shook her head, remembering how angry she had when she hadn't been accepted. "Said I was a 'meddler' and that I needed to be more serious. They should see me now. Auristics is like a second nature. I almost struggle to not use it! But I didn't get in then, and then it was destroyed, and I had no chance. Never mind. I didn't need their help, and I didn't need to learn a different type. Auristics is beautiful.

"I started working for the Armed Scholar, for Donovan and Rals, who became good friends. I hated leaving them, especially Don. He was so stupid at times. Like when he brought a thief in the store, and I only just caught her out. Or when he wanted to learn the fiddle and made me make a sword as payment. It was horrible! I never knew what happened to that fiddle - it disappeared a few weeks later, when he got bored.

"Zeltiva hasn't changed much but it has. So many things have happened, I'll tell you one day. I made new friends, got drunk with people, joked around with strangers. Worked hard in the forge, all day long. Saved a Kelvic, met an Ethaefal, a half Zith, a dhani. Adopted Kial, bought dogs, bought clothes. Missed you."

She realised she was crying, and dried her tears, settling down on the bed. "I missed all of you, my father, my mother, you. When I heard he was dead, I felt torn inside. I hadn't seen him in years, and then he leaves forever. When I found out he was alive... When I saw you two again... I felt like leaping for joy, but was terrified at the same time. Thegans, I cant do this, I can't do this anymore."

He smiled, taking her hand. "You don't have to. You aren't alone. "
Alija
Blacksmith and Aurist

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

A New Home

Postby Sayana on January 9th, 2016, 4:18 pm

Don't forget to edit/delete your grade request. If there's anything I may have missed, please PM me and I'll be happy to look into it.

Alija
Skills
  • Land Navigation: 1
  • Observation: 4
  • Investigation: 2
  • Interrogation: 1
  • Socialization: 3
  • Endurance: 3
  • Storytelling: 1
Lores
  • Nyka has a different accent
  • Ocean's Forge: New home and a new blacksmith
  • Meeting up with an old friend, Thegans
  • Story of aunt's madness and mother's disappearance
  • Father is alive
  • Father faked his own death
  • Thegans: Explorer and adventurer

Comments: What a lovely bit of character development. It was interesting reading about Alija's motivations to go to Nyka and the results that she found. It's not very clear on your ledger what sort of house you have, since houses with multiple rooms are typically much more expensive than a simple cottage (the kind in your starting package). It might be part of your business plan, but you should really include a link to your business plan on your CS.

Your Grader,

Sayana
Boxcode design: Firenze
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Words: 1543550
Joined roleplay: September 22nd, 2014, 12:38 am
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Syliras Seasonal Challenge (1) Alvadas Seasonal Challenge (1)