Solo Written Reflection

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

Written Reflection

Postby Bennar Witt on November 5th, 2015, 12:29 am

87th of Fall, 515 A.V.
Ben’s Apartment

Ben Examined the unlit candle sitting on his apartment table. The modest room was clean. He liked to keep a neat place, probably a successful relic of his mother's impact on him. The scars of past trauma were apparent in the living space though. A hastily repaired bed, bits of wall missing, a more than battered tabletop. He still found pebbles in little nooks and crannies and out of the way spots sometimes. All of that was a reminder of the past, dark memories.

Ben smirked. Just like me. The thought resonated within him. The Alvadan pulled his sleeve back and revealed the seven bulbous scars that dotted his forearm. He too carried reminders of that day. Ben rubbed a hand through a mess of brown hair. He hadn't bother combing it that day. His quick jaunt to the nearby tea house had only rendered him a few odd looks. Ben didn't care about that though. Normally, maybe he would. But today his mind was in an especially dreary state of morose reflection.

The nighttime air outside his window blew playfully through the bars of his railing, making a soft music he had grown accustomed to in the quiet. It was part of why he kept the window open as late in the year as he did. Brown eyes blinked at the candle. What am I doing? Why did I come here? He was overcome with a bout of homesickness that made him press thumb and forefinger into his eyes. He grimaced into the gesture.

He knew why he had come. It was hard leaving ones' family when you were close, but staying would have been worse. The problem with that double edged consolation was that it forced him to continuously focus on the bad elements of his family. He felt guilty about that. Sure his father had been a harsh parent, and an unforgiving mentor, but he had been a father as well. He had gifted Ben with the virtues he survived upon today. Furthermore, upon more mature reflection now, Ben even thought that may have been his intended purpose. How does one thank a father for crafting their nature? How does one forgive a father for doing that same thing? Ben didn't know.

Perhaps that's why I'm here.

Benji reached into the deed that made up his reality and pulled forth a stand of gleaming purple Res. With a flicker of will the Res swooped and ignited the candle wick. Flame, yellow and merry, wavered in the air. It sent shadows and bright rays shimmering across the entire apartment. It alternately hid and brought to life the scars of the past disaster. He watched it's movements with a distracted eye, his thoughts far beyond his apartment.

Lhavit. The Jewel of Kalea. The haven in the mountains. The refuge for young men looking for new beginnings. Sometimes, like now, he thought about how far from home he was and how I'll equipped he felt to be on his own and a nasty surge of panic rumbled deep within him. He had banked his entire future on employment as a mage. He had come here shrouded and protected by his own naïveté, only to find himself serving drinks at one of the shakiest bars in the city.

Now, finally, he was beginning to cultivate the means to start using his real talents to make money and he was scared shykeless. What would the other magic practitioners do when they found out he was making a business? Shyke, what would the petching Dawn Tower do? He had no doubt he would have to maneuver his way rough that snake pit eventually. C'mon what he had heard, the Towers did not take kindly to people outside their influence practicing their magics.

Well, well. They would just have to learn to share. He had worked too hard in the past to allow himself to be bullied out of this dream. It was not their magic alone, it was his as well.

Lori's.

The candle wavered as if it agreed. Ben frowned at the thought. Oh, put a cork in it, you schmuck. She's gone and she isn't interested in finding you. He reached forward, an anger fueled impulse, and flicked the candle wick with thumb and forefinger. The flame was snuffed out and his apartment was sent back into darkness.

He sighed. He was too alone in this lightless room. Thoughts weighed down with bitterness and memories trailed by half-regrets were poor company. The rough surface of the wall in front of his face  was little comfort, though he searched it for some distraction. Finally he shot a spurt of glowing purple Res at the candle again and it ignited. For a moment the flame wobbled wildly. Once it stilled to a steady stream of energy he turned his attention to the parchment stacked in the corner of his desk.

A quill sat next to the parchment, and next to that a vial of unused ink. Ben picked up the quill and pulled the cap off the ink. The ceramic vial was a dark brown, and the black ink within appeared like liquid candlelight, reflecting the flame above it. Ben noted the subtle beauty of that before dipping the tip in.
Lhavit
Ben Guide
Reimancy
Shielding
Morphing
Bennar Witt
Player

Words: 117856
Joined roleplay: January 20th, 2015, 7:26 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Written Reflection

Postby Bennar Witt on November 6th, 2015, 11:46 pm

Reimancy. He wrote the word without knowing where he was going with this.

To turn ones' djed into res, then into the elemental forces of nature. In my case, fire. Technically, fire and earth. Ben was writing from an emotional standpoint though, and fire was more shackled to his personal emotions than earth. The use is destructive and exacting, the resource priceless. That being said, the implementation must be carefully conducted. Ben didn't know where he was going with this tangent, but it felt constructive to immortalize his thoughts with the ink.

But what could he say? Perhaps he could speak of his recent run in with the snake-woman. That day had been a horror, but it had yielded knowledge in the elemental magic. Breakthroughs, he was learning, came with some baggage at times. Ben rubbed the feathered quill along his jaw absent-mindedly. The candle flickered. Nw that he had sated this exercise, Ben felt he needed to continue until satisfied.

The effectiveness of some magic, in my experience, relies upon the state of the Res. For instance, a gaseous Res could ignite and cause a flaring of fire while a liquid Red could cause a linger lasting or more heated flame. Ben looked at the scrawled handwriting. A lot of this seemed to be conjecture on his part. Well, it was mostly conjecture on his part. But he didn’t care, it was meant for only his eyes anyway.

This is the experience of this practitioner. I have yet to achieve a solid state Res.

Ben starred at his notes. He had never received what you would call a ‘formal’ education in magic. In the beginning it had all been what he could beg Lori to grudgingly teach him. Since her disappearance he had using the tried and true method of trial and error for the best part of his knowledge. It was as they say, once the hatch was opened he couldn’t help tumble in.

Outside his window he heard a crow call to it’s fellows as it passed. The breeze seemed to carry the sound from far away.
He glanced at the window and saw the starry skyscape was partially blotted out with inky black clouds. The sounds of the city drifted occasionally up to him. A child yelling at a sibling, a man boasting to a friend, an Okomo protesting some task.

How to talk about the molten rock. Ben really wasn’t sure how he had done that. It had been a garbled series of experiments. What was innovation, if not a chaotic storm of risks? Well, whatever it was Ben was going to ignore that question and write down his experiences of the previous day.

Concerning the creation of lava, I believe it to be a combination of fire and earth reimancy. Specifically the use of stone that allows for a liquid state through heating at moderate temperatures. However, I have yet to change the stone type of my earth Reimancy so have not experimented with the malleable ability of any other stone type than…

What the hell kind of stone was Lhavit made of? Ben was embarrassed to realize he did not know what the cobblestones were called. He simply wrote:

Lhavitian cobblestones.

Good enough.

To achieve the heating, I infused the Res I made the stone from with a second portion of Res that I simultaneously heated to fire. This process is highly dangerous. Ben slouched back in his chair and stared down at the ink drying.

No Shyking kidding. He thought as he reread the over-simplified final sentence. He set the quill down and rubbed his neck. It had certainly been an eventful day. His lungs still ached when he thought about the Litka’s vice-grip. He had come so close to death once again, he thought Dira might have her eye on him...

Ben shivered. Not today Dira! Someday we'll have a grand meeting and you can invite anyone you want, but lets save that for later.
Lhavit
Ben Guide
Reimancy
Shielding
Morphing
Bennar Witt
Player

Words: 117856
Joined roleplay: January 20th, 2015, 7:26 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Written Reflection

Postby Elysium on February 6th, 2016, 1:35 am

GRADE PENDING

Hallo Ben! You know, I really appreciate your character sheet. Before I grade this thread however, I request that you update your seasonal expenses for the summer and fall seasons of 515 AV as per site rules.

Thank you kindly!
Elysium
Never venture, never win.

Words: 519270
Joined roleplay: December 12th, 2012, 9:49 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 3
Artist (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1)