Closed Riding Lessons (Naiya)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Not found on any map, Endrykas is a large migrating tent city wherein the horseclans of Cyphrus gather to trade and exchange information. [Lore]

Moderator: Gossamer

Riding Lessons (Naiya)

Postby Seirei Dawnwhisper on November 24th, 2015, 4:44 am

Timestamp: 25th Day of Fall, 515 AV

Seirei smiled softly as she watched Thunder kicking up his hind hooves playfully. She wasn't sure if he was trying to impress Lightning, who was watching from further away, or simply releasing pent up energy. Either way, the young foal was a delight to watch. It was a shame, really. Thunder was an amazing colt. And he would grow into an amazing stallion. With the right human partner, he would be one of the best. At least, that's what Seirei thought. But for all that he had claimed her as his human...she wasn't the right partner for him. Not as she was now, at least. She couldn't help him become the very best strider he could be.

Thunder stopped playing, and turned to look at her. His ears were pricked forward, alert for the slightest of sounds. After a few ticks, he came trotting over to her. Then he butted his head into her legs, in a clear demand for attention. Seirei laughed lightly at his antics. But that didn't stop her from stroking his neck, and telling him that he was the best strider in the world. Thunder snorted at this, as if to say "Of course I am!" This only made Seirei laugh even more.

Kairi watched this from where she was grazing. She raised her head, and whickered softly. Thunder turned, and raced over to her obediently. Then he began nursing. Kairi nuzzled him gently. Then she raised her head once more to look at Seirei. Seirei wilted under the steady gaze. She felt as though the mare was judging her...and finding her lacking.

The mare tolerated her. She was even quite protective of her. But Kairi made it very clear in her own way that she was only doing it for the sake of her foal. Seirei couldn't blame her, really. How could she when she knew so very little about how to take proper care of a strider? She couldn't even ride. Oh, she could sit on a strider, yes. And cling desperately to its mane and pray that she wouldn't fall off. But that wasn't riding. That was sitting helplessly on a strider's back, and hoping for the best. Riding meant that she was the one in control, not the strider. And it was painfully clear that that was not the case. How could she expect Kairi to respect her when she was nothing but useless baggage? A worthless burden.

Seirei wanted to change that. She needed to change that. With that thought in mind, Seirei began looking for Naiya. She hoped that her friend would be willing to teach her what she needed to know. Or at least get her started.

Word Count18,328 words.
Seirei Dawnwhisper
Player

Words: 511147
Joined roleplay: March 5th, 2014, 7:11 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Riding Lessons (Naiya)

Postby Naiya on November 27th, 2015, 7:33 pm

Naiya was sitting in the shade of the tent, in front of her was the tabard she was crafting for the watchman, Dravite. She had already sewn in all the scales on the front and back of the armor, she hadn't accounted for how the shape of the scales would affect the lay down of the scales at the shoulder. In the end she'd had to tack down the layer with as many scales as she could fit into the shoulder. Now she was adding a second layer of scales at the neck and shoulder, a third layer of cloth covering them as she secured them in place with long shallow stitches.

With the ixam scales in place sewn between the layers of linen, she just had to attach the edges of the linen armor together, then she could shape the leather and add a final layer of linen. She did need to go into the market and find a dark leather.

She called to Wildfire, the sound waking the cat that was curled beneath the wagon, and he trotted over amicably a gentle whinny greeting her on his arrival. She led him to the travois where the grooming tools were stored, and she removed just the curry comb and the hard brush. She didn't need the whole kit for a quick ride to the market. She curried his upper back and the chest and shoulders where the yvas would sit. The dirt loosened, she brushed it away with the hard brush and then placed the slightly worn yvas pad on and secured it in place with the yvas.

She checked his hooves for stones, but they were still mostly clean from the grooming he'd gotten this morning. So with a practiced arm, she pulled herself into her seat and urged the strider off towards the market. Her shopping was simple, the tannery would have everything she needed. She asked for the leather, not hard leather, she wasn't skilled enough to shape the solid hide. Instead she went with a thick hide of medium firmness, she could work it like a stiff cloth. She also purchased the same length of black linen to got over top. The merchant asked seven gold for the linen, and twelve for the leather. Naiya shook her head.

"Seven for the leather, and three for the linen." She countered, she knew the price of the materials, she had been buying whole cloth for years.

"You've been doing this for a while." The man said with a laugh, "But you know that I need to make a little coin for myself as well, not just what it costs to replace the material you bought."

Agreed, Naiya told him, a smile of her own, "How about ten for the dyed leather, and five for the linen? That's reasonable, ins't it?"

Of course, He told her, a conspiratorial look around preceding a whispered comment. "Don't tell the others, though, if they all know what you snuck out of here for, I'll never make enough to buy the silk for my wife's dress when the traders call next."

He bundled the cloth for her, handing it to her in exchange for the fifteen gold miza. She thanked him and then moved down the line, he didn't have velvet. The next vendor she found had just what she wanted. The cost would be more, but it would be a purchase worth the expense.

"I need four yards of red-copper velvet and four of a pale blue-gray velvet." The woman pulled a couple of colors for Naiya to choose from. "These two, please." gratitude. The roman's price was reasonable, so Naiya didn't bother to try and haggle. She would likely just end up with a higher price or no velvet. "I'll need wool too, undyed, say ten and five yards." any color, no problem Naiya clarified her purchase of the wool. The woman nodded and cloth and coin changed hands once again. Naiya hung the bundles of cloth from the yvas, and took a few more minutes to consider what else she might need.

It was enough, for today at least, she mounted once more and urged Wildfire into a walk while she planned her next steps and counted the coin she had left in her head. The expense today was difficult, she had no way to make her own cloth, so it was necessary, but still it weighed heavily on her mind. So heavily in fact, that when she turned her attention back to her mount he was stiff legged and slow. Her body was tight, her hips not following the motion of Wildfire's back. With conscious effort she relaxed her body, letting her hips soften and follow with the motion of his walk until she swayed softly with each step he took. The response in him was instant, his walk growing into his usual jovial step that ate ground quickly.

Adjusted so, they arrived back home with only a half bell gone. Naiya dismounted and removed the cloth and tack from her strider. Currying him once more to remove the sweat that had gathered beneath his blanket. Despite the fall, the days were still hot. Not so hot as the summer, but they hadn't cooled much either. She lifted his hooves and picked them clean, too, the extra attention welcomed both by rider and strider.

When she was finished she patted his neck and detangled his forelock. He lingered in the camp, looking for something more exciting than a slow walk, perhaps, or maybe just looking for shade and relief from the heat.

Naiya still had work to do. She hemmed the edge of the ixam scale armor together, forming the cloth into a long sheath. The thread she used was coarse, fairly visible, and strong. It would hold up to most trials and normal wear and tear.

When she finished up with that, she began to mark the leather into the right size and shape to form the leather vest that would go over top of the ixam scales. She had shaped the front two sides of the vest out before she noticed Seirei's determined approach.

Greetings, curious she signed to the woman, happy to see her. "Good afternoon," she called softly, a gentle inquiry in her posture.
ledgerBlack medium leather (6 yards) - 10GM
Black linen (6 yards) - 5 GM
Coarse wool (15 yards) - 15 GM
Dyed Satin (8 yards) - 120 GM
total - 150 GM
Naiya
Player

Words: 766506
Joined roleplay: June 14th, 2013, 5:11 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Riding Lessons (Naiya)

Postby Seirei Dawnwhisper on December 22nd, 2015, 5:56 pm

When Seirei found her friend, Naiya was busy working on something. She watched the other woman for a few ticks as she sewed some kind of scale onto some cloth. That made Seirei wonder what she was making. She couldn't remember ever seeing scales used as decorations on clothing before. Beads, yes. Embroidery, yes. But scales? Maybe it was a fashion among the Drykas? But even then, Seirei couldn't remember seeing any of her new people wearing clothes decorated with scales.

Seirei was debating whether she should ask what her friend was making when Naiya looked up and noticed her. She signed a greeting that conveyed curiosity, and happiness. Seirei smiled as she returned the greeting. But when a silent inquiry entered her posture, Seirei hesitated, uncertain. Naiya was clearly busy. Would it be better to wait to ask her to teach her how to ride another time? Perhaps when she wasn't so busy? Seirei didn't want to be a burden. Should she offer to help her friend, instead? Not that Seirei knew what she could do to help. She knew nothing of sewing, and even less of making clothes with scales.

But...she didn't want to be a burden to her strider, either. Thunder deserved a better human than she was. One who knew how to take care of him properly, and who could ride him. So did Kairi, for that matter. It wasn't any surprise that the mare barely tolerated her for her foal's sake when Seirei knew so little about how to care for her. And really, knowing those things would make her less of a burden to her human friends, too. Wouldn't it? So maybe it wouldn't be too terrible if she asked for a lesson? Especially if she offered something in exchange. Maybe some beads that Naiya could use for a shirt, or something? Decision made, Seirei signed a quick, but sincere apology for interrupting her friend's work.

"Good afternoon, Naiya." Seirei said softly.

She hesitated for a tick longer before continuing.

"I know you're busy, and I hate to bother you...but do you think that you could teach me how to ride? And how to care for a strider properly? Thunder and Kairi deserve better than someone who doesn't know how to care for them the way they should be."

Seirei signed another apology.

"If there's anything I can do to help you in return, I'd be happy to do so. I have some beads that you could use to decorate a shirt, or something. Or I could maybe make you a necklace? You could choose which beads you want me to use. Or, if you want, I could teach you how to make wooden beads?"

Seirei wasn't sure what she could offer that would be useful to her friend. But she would happily do anything she could in exchange for a lesson or two.

Seirei Dawnwhisper
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Riding Lessons (Naiya)

Postby Naiya on January 9th, 2016, 12:03 am

Seirei was hesitant, apology clear in both manner and sign. She had a request, one that brought Naiya pride in quite an unexpected surge.

No apology, happy to help Naiya informed the woman, a smile growing across her cheeks. "It would be an honor to help you learn." She told her, setting her work aside.

"It is a shame no one has taught you sooner," apology, "Perhaps after a few lessons, you should begin to teach the children. Or perhaps we both could?" Polite offer, not meant to intrude. If the children could walk, they could ride, and they were quite nearing that. Regardless, they could learn about the horses, grooming, care, behavior, they would be Drykas, they should grow to know horses.

In return Naiya tested the words on her hands, "It really isn't necessary, you are," dear, beloved friend, welcomed the words she had were insufficient, and perhaps Seirei would read that in the shape of her posture, her familiarity with the language growing quickly, "You are dear to us, to our family, you don't need to pay for our help. Not in coin nor favor."

Naiya considered where to start, she knew that Seirei had been working with the horses some, she had seen that, seen her ride as well, although both rider and mount seemed quite unsure about the affair.

"Perhaps we should start with grooming? Or approaching an unfamiliar horse?" Unsure inquiry "Tell me how I can help you," please.
Naiya
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Riding Lessons (Naiya)

Postby Seirei Dawnwhisper on April 13th, 2016, 4:25 pm

Seirei felt a wave of relief when Naiya wasn't bothered by her request. In fact, the opposite seemed to be true. So she visibly relaxed, and signed a deeply felt "gratitude." Then she considered Naiya's questions.

There were so many things that she needed to learn. All she really knew was how to put a yvas on a strider, and she wasn't even confident with her ability to do that since more than half the time she did, it slipped when she was trying to teach herself how to ride. Grooming seemed like a good place to start. But Seirei hesitated before asking if they could start with that. In order to groom a horse or strider, one had to first get close enough to do so. And if Seirei's experience with Kairi was any indication, she needed all the help she could get just to be able to do that.

"Maybe we should start with how to approach a horse or strider. If I can't do that, I won't be able to groom them. Or ride them, for that matter. And...Thunder lets me approach him whenever I want to. But we're bonded, and he likes me. Kairi only allows me to approach her when she's in the mood to do so. If she acts like that when she knows me, I must be doing something very wrong. One that doesn't know me and has no reason to want me in one piece might try to run away, or attack me if I try to get too close."

Naiya had also made the suggestion that she begin to teach the twins how to ride. That startled her. They were still so young! A horse was huge compared to them! If a strider wanted to hurt them, they would have no way to stop it from happening. And yet...maybe it made sense. Drykas and their striders were practically one and the same from what Seirei could see. She could understand that a little. She had felt a special closeness to Thunder through their bond that was just hers. It gave her the distinct feeling that Thunder loved her, and that he would never care about another person as much as he cared about her. But in order to be that good with their striders, they must start learning how to work with them at a very young age. So maybe it was time for Lukar and Lira to start learning. They were Drykas, after all.

"If you think Lukar and Lira are old enough to learn how to ride, then they should learn. But I'm going to need to take you up on your offer to help me teach them. I can't teach something that I don't know how to do myself." she said with a rueful smile.

Seirei Dawnwhisper
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Riding Lessons (Naiya)

Postby Naiya on April 13th, 2016, 7:55 pm

She wanted to start with how to approach a horse. Not that it was really surprising, but to come face to face with such a lack of knowledge in a woman who was part of the Drykas. It made her want to curse the man who had so neglected Seirei. A woman in Endrykas who couldn't approach a horse was a woman who had no chance of success. It was Naiya's own failure as well not to realize how much help Seirei needed with the horses.

Agreement shaped Naiya as she listened to the woman's words. Her surprise at the recommendation of teaching the children brought a bemused smile to Naiya's lips.

"The children would start with only the most mild mannered horses, of course." Reassurance followed her words, "Only riding with help, not alone. It will help them to learn how it should feel, and of course, learning how to approach and care for the horses is equally as important. They can do that with us once you're more comfortable." Comfort, no rush.

There were things to be gathered, so Naiya picked up her things and shaped follow into her hands as she moved to the travois. She stowed the tabard in the bundles of cloth she kept for such things, digging out the grooming kit and a yvas for both of them. They would not need them right away, but surely they would need them today.

"Kairi is..." opinionated, stubborn, "Perhaps we should start with a horse who is more willing to help?" The lit of inquiry shaped her words, lifting her tone, but it was not so much a question as a strong suggestion. She led the woman out to their herd, the mixing of zibri and horses were marked with the satalu of their pavilion. She smiled at the sight, they were really beginning to look like a pavilion.

Her approach was greeted by the familiar nicker of Wildfire, but her signing of wait kept him in place among the others. He was a spirited horse, but a kind one, and would tolerate their teaching without making Seirei feel incompetent. Had Naiya chosen to introduce her to Aani, the elderly mare would surely accept the woman, but perhaps at mild insult to her companion. Aani was so steady that even the most stressful situations often found her steady.

"Wildfire is my strider, and he's a spirited boy, but he's also capable of being kind. I think he will be a good start." She grinned, happy to share what she knew. "Horses are prey animals, despite their size, they are often frightened by us because we are predators. So the first thing to do when you approach is to reassure them you mean no harm."

She waited to see if Seirei was following along, the change in subject might shift her footing in her comfort with Pavi.

"Make sure they can see you when you approach. Their eyes are on the sides of their head, not the front, so come up from the side, let them see you."
Naiya
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Riding Lessons (Naiya)

Postby Seirei Dawnwhisper on April 15th, 2016, 3:55 pm

Seirei relaxed when Naiya explained that the twins wouldn't be riding alone. For some reason, she had gotten the image in her head that they would put the twins on the back of a strider, and having them try to control the creature by themselves. They would have been completely at the strider's mercy, and would almost certainly get hurt, or even killed. Naiya's explanation made her feel a lot better about the idea.

"Thank you for explaining that for me. For a few ticks there, I thought you meant that we should put the twins on a strider, and let them try to ride by themselves. In the trade caravan I grew up with, children were kept away from the horses until they were at least five. And even then, they were only allowed to feed the horses with adult supervision. People were afraid that the kids would either get hurt, or they would upset the horses by playing around them too loudly. So they were given other things to do to help out instead." Seirei said, hoping that Naiya would understand the reason for her confusion.

Seirei smiled ruefully at Naiya's description of Kairi, and nodded in agreement. Kairi was a strange mare in many ways. She was very protective of Seirei if it looked like someone around her might be a threat to her. But it was clear that the mare didn't approve of her very much, and that she only tolerated her for Thunder's sake. Since Seirei's only real experience with horses and striders came from being around Kairi and Thunder, she had been worried that all of them would be equally difficult for her to handle. As a result, the suggestion of starting with a strider that was more willing to help was a very welcome one. Seirei was certain that her intense relief showed in her posture as well as her signs, as she agreed gratefully, and thanked Naiya for the offer.

Seirei eyed the zibri as they moved out towards the mixed her of horses and zibri. But her attention was fully on Naiya when the lesson began. It surprised her to learn that horses were frightened of people. They were so big, and they could hurt a person all too easily if they wanted to. Seirei wasn't afraid of horses. But she had known people who were when she'd lived with the trade caravan. And to her, it was an understandable fear, though she suspected that it wouldn't be to a Drykas. To most Drykas.

"I never really thought about it that way. Horses are so big...if a person was bothering them, it would be easy for them to knock them aside. It does make sense, though. And it means that you have to be careful not to frighten them when you approach them, doesn't it?"

Seirei's eyes lit up with a sudden realization.

"Is that why you introduce yourself by offering your hand to a horse or strider when you approach them? Someone told me that once." she said softly.

Seirei turned her attention back to the lesson. She looked at Wildfire, studying the strider carefully. Naiya was right. His eyes were on the sides of his head, rather than the front the way a person's were. So they would be able to see things coming at them from either side a lot better than they would be able to see things coming straight on. Seirei wondered what that would be like for a few ticks. Then she glanced at the zibri. Their eyes were positioned the same way.

"Would you approach a zibri from the side, too?" she asked, wanting to confirm her idea.

Once Naiya had answered her question, Seirei began approaching Wildfire slowly. Keeping in mind what she had learned, she approached from his right side, giving him plenty of time to see her approach. She stopped several feet away, thinking that it might be best to let him come to her the rest of the way if he was so inclined. She raised her arm slowly, extending her hand with the palm flat, and face up the way she remembered someone telling her was the polite way to introduce herself to a strider. Then she held herself utterly still, not wanting to startle Wildfire with any sudden movements.

Seirei Dawnwhisper
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Riding Lessons (Naiya)

Postby Naiya on April 15th, 2016, 7:21 pm

Naiya grinned, it seemed Seirei knew more than she credited herself with.

"The horses are large, but they don't always quite realize it. Most of the times I've been hurt by a horse it was on accident. Wildfire bumped me with his head hard enough to bust my lip once, he was just excited that I'd brought him an apple." She nodded along with the woman as she continued through the process, watching her carefully. "Yes, the zibri are similar, but ours are more fearful than most, so don't let it bother you if they scatter, I can hardly get near them sometimes myself."

Seirei approached Wildfire in the end, stopping before she reached him. It was good, she was careful, and Wildfire was comfortable enough to approach her. The stallion was good natured, lipping at Seirei's hand in hopes of finding a treat. He stomped then, when her hand was empty, and Naiya waited to see what response Seirei might have.

Wildfire was accustomed to a different greeting, a palm turned flat for him to touch rather than turned up in offering. He was confused, Naiya could see that, but he wasn't upset, so she let the two continue.
Naiya
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Riding Lessons (Naiya)

Postby Seirei Dawnwhisper on April 16th, 2016, 6:15 pm

Seirei nodded thoughtfully at Naiya's words. The thought that other horses weren't as aggressive as Kairi could be was a very reassuring one.

"Maybe it is Kairi who is different, then?" she asked softly.

"Kairi is...intimidating. I think it amuses her when I get nervous around her. She has this look..."

It was a look that Seirei knew well. One that said that the mare knew she was better than Seirei was. That she was the one in charge of the encounter, not Seirei. And if Seirei tried anything that she didn't like, she would regret it.

"I'm starting to recognize the signs when she wants me to keep my distance."

The signs that accompanied her words said that Kairi would sometimes lash out if Seirei approached when her presence wasn't wanted.

When Wildfire approached her, all of Seirei's attention turned back to him. He seemed relaxed. Or at least, his ears weren't flat against the back of his head. He didn't look tense, or reluctant. And he lipped her hand lightly, clearly looking for a treat. Seirei didn't have one with her. The stallion stomped his hoof in what Seirei thought was annoyance. It was her fault, really. She should have thought to have a treat ready. So she bent down slowly, careful not to make any sudden moves, and plucked a handful of grass for Wildfire. She offered him the grass in her open palm, with her fingers extended so they were flat. Kairi would often try to bite her fingers if she left them bent while offering her a treat. The grass itself wasn't much of a treat, really. But sometimes it was the thought that counted. At least, Kairi seemed to like it when she picked grass to offer her when the mare was in the mood for it.

"What kind of treats does Wildfire usually like? I probably should have thought to have one ready to give him..."

Seirei Dawnwhisper
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Riding Lessons (Naiya)

Postby Naiya on April 20th, 2016, 3:15 pm

Naiya nodded, she was familiar with horses who fought tooth and nail for their freedom. It was uncommon among the Drykas, to have an adult strider who fought so strongly against a Drykas, but not unheard of.

"He is spoiled, he doesn't need a treat." She laughed, chiding the stallion from afar. She approached the two as well, taking less care than Seirei had given, for she was sure Wildfire would not start at her presence. "All the same, I like to give him carrot greens." Naiya sighed affection and teasing shaping her form as she passed the greens to the woman who was going to be a sister.

"Don't give them yet, you're too stiff, nearly frightened." She explained to Seirei, "He will learn that seeing you so slow and nervous is good, that that is how he gets treats." Bad teaching, "Instead ask him to give you space, trust that this horse won't hurt you unless you lay under his hooves."

She knew it was tough, especially when the horse she was familiar with had such a mean streak, but if she wasn't comfortable and confidant around horses, they would never grow to trust her as they should.

"Ask him to move back." She bade the woman, "Use sign, he is familiar. Once he listens, if he listens, try to take a moment to relax, let him be him until you're comfortable. He'll wait." Reassurance, insistence.
Naiya
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Next