Closed Animal Ties (Merevaika)

Erikal goes to see about a pup.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Not found on any map, Endrykas is a large migrating tent city wherein the horseclans of Cyphrus gather to trade and exchange information. [Lore]

Moderator: Gossamer

Animal Ties (Merevaika)

Postby Erikal on December 7th, 2015, 10:22 pm

2nd of Winter, 515 AV. Midday. Merevaika's home.

The life of the Drykas was one of flux. But there was a familiarity in the constant change and it spanned countless generations. That blood never forgot the harsh winters, the deaths, and the births. Joys and sorrows, all of it could be traced back to time out of memory. Even if the present clans did not remember, within their spirits, it was written, instinctive in every action they performed. Such was the way of the Drykas. For the Sunspears, it was a day of change and toil. The people had reached the Winter Grounds but a moon ago, and already Endrykas had erected itself around them and took the shape of the nomadic city.

Erikal's muscles ached from the work. Raising pavilion poles, hammering down stakes, digging troughs and firepits, feeding and watering livestock, the horses, and all of the other routines that went into settling in.

"You've done enough, Erik. Your father and I plan to hunt while the women forage. Go fight. Train well."

"Ha! My mother would tan your hide to hear your words, Kudas. She can hold her own with a bow any day. You sure you don't need another? I could whip up an excuse for the Champion. Family always comes first, afterall."

The hulking man laughed, but did not disagree with the young Drykas's statement. The man stooped and shifted a massive rock in place, closing the outer ring of the firepit. He peered up at Erikal. "Blood first. But we can handle it. Your skill with spear could be very important in the coming days. There are reasons we do what we do, cousin. We all have a role to play in this life. Yours is with spear and shield." Kudas stood, clapped Erikal on the back, nearly knocking him down onto the layer of snow that covered the grassy area, and left him.

Erikal traversed the frosty paths between tents, weaving his way through Endrykas. He saw faces he recognized and greeted them warmly. Cookfires were going up all around. Smoke and the smells of burning meat permeated his senses. A simple wool cloak of gold wreathed the tall figure, denoting the spear design of his pavilion across its back. Beneath the cloak he wore leathers. The wood shaft of a spear held loosely between callused fingers.

His current destination was that of a woman's tent on the edge of the city. He figured he had enough time before training at the War Storm Pavilion to meet the woman Shahar had called, Merevaika, to discuss the potential trade of a pup. On the trek west he had spoken briefly to his hunting friend, expressing his own desire to have a loyal animal at his side, much like Shahar's Snow. As was typical of the man, he spoke little, presenting a sign to indicate consideration. Then after a short time he spoke of the woman, Merevaika. According to the rugged hunter, she had pups and might just be willing to sell or trade one of them.

The foot traffic became sparse the further he traveled toward the city's outskirts, the tents few and far between. Erikal found himself standing outside the specified tent. It was a rather plain looking setup. A single firepit not far from the entrance. Three horses grazed in the front. His blue-gray gaze lingered on the beautiful beige mare who of the three, was the only one that offered any reaction at all to his arrival. Unfortunately, she appeared somewhat skittish in his presence, taking a few wary steps back.

Just when Erikal was feeling much like an unwanted guest and wondering if he had perhaps visited the wrong tent, he heard the barks and then saw a hunting dog race round the side of the tent, three pups in tow. Erikal grinned.

Perhaps he had found the right place after all....
Erikal
I'm hunting you!

Words: 69139
Joined roleplay: October 17th, 2015, 9:12 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Animal Ties (Merevaika)

Postby Merevaika on December 10th, 2015, 8:08 pm

Merevaika

The move was always tiring. When she had been younger, she had few responsibilities, left to tend to the horses and the unpack her younger siblings things. Then, after that winter, she had to do everything herself. Pack up the tent, load up her strider, and this time the two other horses she owned, gather her dogs, travel the distance until she arrived at the location, before starting to pack it all up again. The tent had to be set up again and all her possessions placed in that half messy, half orderly way.

That was the first day, and now, the Drykas was exhausted, but finished, finally. It was all done, and now, she could stop and rest, before returning to her everyday routine the next day. Not that she had one. Life as a wilderness guide was raw and unpredictable, every day holding chances for her to get up and leave. If the Sea of Grass didn't change her routine before that, of course. She had so much to do, and so many things that weren't ordinary on that list.

One of them was visiting the Swiftminds. They hadn't shown up at the festival last season, and Juniper had promised some sort of gift for thanks. Whatever it was, it could completely change her life, or not affect it at all. Merevaika didn't care- she liked surprises.

And it appeared that another was in store for her that day, as a collection of yelps and barks alerted her of a visitor, and Merevaika rose from her bedroll, peering out the door curiously to watch how he interacted with them. Always judge a man by the way he treated his animals. That was how Merevaika often went about it. Then focus on his looks and traits, for that often gave nothing away.

A mane of hair surrounded his face, and it made her trust him that little bit more. Cropped hair always seemed fake, those having longer hair perhaps more interested in other things that appearance. And appearance was nothing if you didn't have a full belly of food and a warm place to sleep.

Once she had watched him enough, she emerged cautiously, giving a high whistle. "Come," she called, and somehow all four dogs listened, bounding back up her, although a little reluctant. She bent down to scratch Denviel behind his ear, before passing over the younger dogs in turn, rewarding them for listening. After that had finished, she let herself address the man who had come to her tent.

Greetings, she signed, "I am Merevaika... Stormchaser. I wonder if you are here searching for a wilderness guide?" Her inquiry was the only reason she believed a stranger would visit her. Merevaika had little else to offer. She smiled at him, taking a quick look at him, judging, examining. Tall, lean, thoughtful. An interesting character, or just one like the rest of them? She would find out, eventually, the Drykas assumed. First, she would have to find out his purpose.
Pavi Common

Merevaika
Player

Words: 569615
Joined roleplay: November 8th, 2014, 9:33 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)

Animal Ties (Merevaika)

Postby Erikal on December 11th, 2015, 3:39 am

The dogs lifted Erikal's spirit, making the trip a welcome one. He crouched down to scratch at their soft coats, playfully pat eager furry heads, wet noses bumping his palms. One female pup virtually climbed him to snuffle at his pants, evidently keen on uncovering the pouch where he kept his dried meats. The young Drykas chuckled, detaching the girl pup gently from him to unfasten the drawstring and reach inside. "Who is hungry?"

As was expected, they all were. Erikal took note of each one's traits and personality. The eldest, was very well mannered. Waiting patiently a respectable distance. Probably trained at an early age, he wagered. Not far from him, was a miniature version. A boy pup with impeccable manners. Meanwhile, the other girl and boy pups were curiously inspecting him, the girl even attempting to leap up to snag the treat. Erikal found each one adorable and didn't have it in him to make them wait for long. He fed each one in turn, making sure to give it straight to them, lest they fight over the scraps. The dogs were soon licking their chops, peering back at him expectantly.

A shrill whistle took the dogs away, and he to his feet. He heard the voice of a woman calling, and soon was met with the sight of its owner. He nearly dropped his spear to look upon her. Shahar hadn't told him that Merevaika was beautiful! He had expected a middle-aged woman. Instead, he found himself striding toward a tall woman with waves of long brown hair that likely had never seen a sharp edge where charms and other symbolic items hung. He was a silent witness to how she interacted with her hunting dogs. Erikal halted a short distance away, her piercing green eyes kept him at bay more so than her cautious manner.

Erikal reciprocated her sign of greeting, offering an amicable expression to go along with it. Wilderness guide? So that's what she did, way out here. "It is good to know you, Merevaika. Call me Erikal," he said and took a step closer. She was a mere arm's span away. "Not in need of a wilderness guide, no," he replied, absently wondering if he should not have lied and asked to be guided. He found his thoughts oddly scrambled and shook his brown mane as if to clear his mind. "I'm actually here to see about a dog. My friend, Shahar, said it would be a wise thing to visit you about this."

A grin broke out across his face when his gaze traveled down to the canine crowd around Merevaika. "I must admit, Shahar was correct. I may not know them well, but I can see you are in special company here. You are blessed by Caiyha." His blue-gray stare returned to Merevaika, accompanied by a look of respect. "....But I will totally understand if you decide not to part with one of your pups," he added somewhat hastily. Not wishing for his visit to add undue pressure, should she not be ready.

Erikal found it hard not to laugh, him standing there before a gorgeous stranger, attended by many watchful gazes. "The girl pup is a feisty one. I kind of like her." He kept quiet on the fact that she reminded him of himself. "Though I'd be honored to welcome any of them to my pavilion." Shahar had not been specific on what method of payment Merevaika sought in exchange for her pups. He decided it best to simply wait until such time the woman broached the subject.
Erikal
I'm hunting you!

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Animal Ties (Merevaika)

Postby Merevaika on December 12th, 2015, 5:13 pm

Merevaika

He was good with the dogs. He pat them, he fed them, he treated them well. A good man. And, when she called them back, he rose, nearly dropping his spear in the process. Surprise? He strode towards her, stopping a few paces away and observed how she interacted with her dogs, mirroring her from only ticks before.

He repeated the greeting, and introduced himself as Erikal. No pavilion. A sign of being friendly, or because he didn't have one? The thought remained on her mind as he shook that mane of hair, stepping closer. He didn't require her as a guide. But he came from Shahar, and that must have meant that he was a good man, as she had already confirmed. Shahar had her utmost respect, and anyone sent by him would receive the same respect. A smile broke out, revealing her pleasure with this knowledge. Shahar had sent someone to see her about her dogs. Did he regard her with the same respect she did?

"Caiyha blessed me with the finest companions I could ask for," she responded to the compliment, but did not look at the dogs. Instead, she bore into his blue-grey eyes, curious. She would happily give one up, but still wanted to know a little more about the man she would give them to. A little interview, perhaps, to check his knowledge on the subject. Just because he treated them well didn't mean he knew how to care for them. Merevaika barely knew herself.

"The girl, her name is Freya." A good dog for someone who wanted a tracker, she had already proved that. Even if Merevaika was far away with a piece of meat, Freya would know. It was the most effective way of getting Freya to come to her. Would Erikal figure that out? First, she decided to "sell" the dog, then she would see whether the man deserved to own her. "She has a good nose, very clever. Naughty, but she learns the quickest out of them all. Freya can come, heel, wait, sit, and even fetch things for you, although they may get a little chewed. Well-trained." She hoped the last thing was true. She had worked with all the dogs hard, and while they didn't always listen, they did understand.

"But I must know that you will provide her a good home. A few questions?" Without waiting for a reply, Merevaika began, pausing between each one for Erikal's response, weighing it up before asking the next. "What other animals would she be in contact with? Would she be expected to join you hunting? Do you know what to do if she gets injured? Will you continue her training every day?"

Each one was something she would want for the puppy she was giving away. She loved Freya, very much, but was glad to have one less to have to worry about. The thought that she would be letting the pup go hit her hard, and she thought back to all the fun they had been through. And all the bad, too. The Wanah'ite. The wild cat. The mud. All her chewed or buried possessions. She almost decided to stop the transaction there and then. Gingerly, she picked the dog up, kissing her nose lightly. "I'll be said to see her gone, but if she goes to a good home, I'll be happy for her."

The action was half truthful, for she really would miss Freya. One less puppy to keep her warm over these winter days. But an element of pricing stayed within her mind as she pulled a piece of long dark hair out of her face, knowing how she could charge more for something she loved. While she didn't mean to, playing with Erikal's guilt could work out better for her. And, in the end, both Freya and Merevaika could benefit.

"Pavi"
Grassland sign
"Common"
Pavi Common

Merevaika
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Animal Ties (Merevaika)

Postby Erikal on December 13th, 2015, 8:16 pm

The way she looked at him with those piercing green eyes after concluding she was blessed by Caiyha ignited a smoldering desire that he found challenging to put out. Erikal had to focus on his purpose. I'm here to find a suitable hunting dog, he reminded himself. As if such inner chiding held the power to reign in all other desires. Fortunately, Merevaika brought his attention to Freya. The Drykas laughed, bending at the knees before Merevaika to address the pup. "Hello Freya. Have you been giving Merevaika a hard time?" he asked, glancing up at the woman with a wry grin whilst he playfully roughed up the hyper she-pup.

"I noticed that straight away. She was the first to search me out for food." He paid heed to all that Merevaika had to say. Attempted the commands himself so as to familiarize himself with the basic training methods. Freya, however, perhaps a little too wound up, did not immediately respond to Erikal's beck and call. Merevaika offered her assistance and soon he got the hang of things. Or perhaps it was closer to the mark to say, Freya decided it worth listening when food was in the balance.

The Drykas found his stare rested on the woman whilst her gaze was downcast, fixed on Freya. He found himself admiring the graceful curve of her chin. The electricity formed when their hands touched whilst petting Freya was not lost upon the Drykas. He noticed a touch of sadness on the female Drykas's face, her mouth turned minutely down into a frown. "I know it's hard to let go. You can't help but get attached to them," he said in a gentle voice.

The both stood again, and the woman was all business after that. He knew, she just wanted what was best for Freya. No fault could be found in that. Erikal answered each question with thoughtful deliberation. Hoping to make a good impression as the new potential owner of Freya.

"The best home we can offer. You see, I belong to the Diamond Clan, Sunspear Pavilion. She would be in good company. Mostly zibri, goats, and horses. My cousin has a hunting dog. As does my uncle. I'm sure they could lend a hand if I have questions. Or I could visit you again...." he added with a smile. "Aye. I adore Shahar's Snow. We went hunting together in autumn. I knew right away, I wanted a dog of my own for hunting. I personally think Freya would make an excellent tracker. The pride of my Pavilion one day I hope... with your blessing of course."

They locked eyes for a while, and he nodded slowly. "I know. I promise it will be a good home for her. You're welcome to come visit her anytime you like," he said, his gaze briefly wandered over her small abode. Erikal wondered if she ever got lonely out here, so far from the others and with no Pavilion to call her own. But he did not put voice to his thoughts. It was not his business.
Erikal
I'm hunting you!

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Animal Ties (Merevaika)

Postby Merevaika on December 14th, 2015, 8:21 pm

Merevaika

He laughed at her words, playing with the puppy who seemed to bounce all over him, excited at the thought of a new owner. He attempted the commands, and she helped him, hoping that Freya would eventually demonstrate her knowledge. "She's excited, that's all," she made excuses, until finally Freya decided to listen, snapping up the offered food with GREED.

Their hands brushed, and Erikal looked up to watch her, his eyes resting on her. She barely noticed, but felt his warm gaze, and smiled inside, trying to remain solemn and upset on the outside. If he found her at all interesting, he would be easier to convince into paying more. He spoke gently about letting go, and Merevaika turned her head, faking hiding tears when in reality, she hid the growing smile. Unable to stop herself, she moved her hand to cover it, looking down. Did she look sad? She certainly hoped so.

She kept his words in mind as he spoke, smiling when he spoke of Shahar's dog. He really did seem to have a good home for Freya and good plans, too. If he asked for Shahar's help, and his kin's, he would be able to train the puppy up much better than she had herself. The pride of his pavilion certainly, if not the pride of Endrykas. No, that was saying too much.

She saw his gaze drift over her tent, and she gestured to it, as if he had asked. "My own pavilion is a pavilion of one. Freya would be much loved here, but with three horses, two wild and two more puppies, it's hard. It's the only reason why I would ever consider letting her go." She met his eyes, confident that she wouldn't reveal anything. All she spoke was the truth, and it could help with the guilt trap.

Slowly, she would try to lead him in. It was worth a try. Now, for business. Name her price, then hope to keep it. How much had she bought Freya for? 22 gold mizas. By now, the pup had learnt so much, so would definitely be worth more. But what was that price?
"30 gold mizas," she stated, picking Freya back up and nestling her face in her fur. She was overcharging, but perhaps she would be able to get away with it. He wouldn't be able to see her expression, though. It would give her away easily.

"Pavi"
Grassland sign
"Common"
Pavi Common

Merevaika
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Animal Ties (Merevaika)

Postby Erikal on January 1st, 2016, 11:00 pm

"A pavilion of one is too few by many," he said and caught himself staring, realizing his words carried the weight of meaning he had not intended. "But you are not alone with such grand company," he said quickly with a chuckle and fond gaze for her dogs and horses. Erikal did not sense any deception in Merevaika. Any visible emotion he did detect, was natural for any person to have upon losing a dear pet. If anything, he found her display of feelings for her animals endearing. He almost felt sorry for parting her from Freya. Then the woman hit him with the expected payment right between the....

"Thirty Miza?!" He repeated with a look of consternation on his young face. "I mean.....I'm sure Freya is worth every last coin..." The Drykas faltered, peering down at his spear. When his blue-gray eyes found Merevaika once more, it was apparent he had come to a decision. I don't have it, he signed. "At least not yet. But maybe after I've been paid for last season's tanning I can make up the difference. Is there any other way I could make it up to you? I'm a hunter and a warrior both."

It was obvious by the man's actions that he sorely wanted the dog. He could have just walked away from the whole thing. But his gaze lingered on Freya. It lingered on Merevaika too, at that. Perhaps he wanted his visit to turn out to be more than just a bargain deal on a hunting dog.

"Shyke! I'm late for drills," he announced after a longing look toward the pup. "Look, maybe I could come back sometime and we could discuss this in more detail," he was saying as he prepared to leave. After a few long strides down the path leading away from her home to Endrykas, he turned around. "Over lunch." He added with a grin, raising his hand in farewell to her before turning away and vanishing into the dusty distance.
Erikal
I'm hunting you!

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Animal Ties (Merevaika)

Postby Merevaika on January 2nd, 2016, 2:10 pm

Merevaika

"No, this company is grand and they all pull their weight too. Well, most of them," she said, gesturing towards the youngest horse, the filly that watched them curiously, and the other strider that was scared of the pack of dogs, staying far enough away to be out of reach.

Of course, the payment was a lot. He seemed shocked at first, outraged almost, but faltered, looking down at his spear. He didn't want to appear insensitive it seemed, and signed that he didn't have the money. So he not only wanted the dog, but was willing to pay the price, the only factor missing was the money he had. Not a problem, for he said he would be paid for last season's work soon. His gazed lingered on Freya, but Merevaika could tell that he was watching her too.

All of a sudden, he rose, preparing to leave. Late for drills, he claimed, and she believed him. He badly wanted Freya and wouldn't be one to make up excuses for him to leave. He started to stride away, giving a sign of farewell and suggesting that they meet over lunch. Merevaika was not one to just let a deal slip out of her fingers like that.

"Tomorrow, if you're free, come midday. If you don't have the money then, we can sort something else out, no problem. Goodbye!" her voice sounded phony, too happy, too cheerful. Not like Merevaika at all, but she wanted to keep this customer. He was willing to pay this price and offer her pup a good home. It was all she could as for. So she had to make sure that he did.

"Pavi"
Grassland sign
"Common"
Pavi Common

Merevaika
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Animal Ties (Merevaika)

Postby Erikal on January 3rd, 2016, 3:00 pm

Erikal went through the spear motions, his mind elsewhere. His thoughts were on Freya and Merevaika. Shahar had been right, she was the right person to turn to for a hunting dog. The rambunctious Freya just needed a firm hand. Could he be strict with her? It wasn't something he was used to, that was for sure. Korvas could be obstinate at times, but he was dutiful when it really mattered.

His wandering thoughts paused on the Drykas woman who lived on the edge of the world. Why did she not have a family to help her with her burdens? Perhaps something awful had happened to them. The Sea of Grass was not a kind place. It happened all the time where a brother or uncle disappeared into the grasses never to be seen again. Even whole families had been wiped out before. Still, he should have brought the subject up. Maybe there was something he could do for her beyond purchasing Freya.

Suddenly the butt end of a spear caused him to jerk his head back. By refelx alone was he able to avoid being smacked full on by the hard wood. The spear swung away to reveal the champion's face. There was a disastisfied look to the countenance, which was fairly common. "Champion?" He glanced around the Storm Pavilion and noticed the other students were still performing spear exercises. All but him. "If I was an enemy to the Drykas, you would be dead, young one. I do not ask for much. Only your complete concentration and devotion to the art of fighting. No more day dreaming, Sunspear!" scolded the scarred-faced champion harshly. Erikal nodded and briskly fell back into the spear movements.

Later that night Erikal sat around the fire pit with his mother, aunt, and the children. They shared a great warm Zibri hide for protection against the cold winds of the plains. They had eaten venison soup with herbs and the men had just left to smoke their pipes. Erikal lingered, thinking on the best way to broach the subject to them. It turned out he didn't have to. His mother, Venese was a wise woman indeed and must have noticed something was bothering him for she spoke over the crackle of wood and flame. "Did you not go to see about a hunting pup, Erik? Was he not to your liking?" She asked with a raised brow, her hand coming to rest on his shoulder.

"She. The pup is a girl, mother. No, she was perfect. A little wild perhaps, like me. But nothing time can't fix right?" said Erikal with a sign for humor. Venese had a rich laugh that felt good to hear. "Yes I seem to recall a young boy needing a firm hand. But, Erik, why was the she-pup not brought back to our Pavilion? Do you require more money than your allowances can pay?" He raised his hands to make the sign: no. "It is my responsibility. My debt, mother. I will find a way to pay for Freya. I promised to meet with Merevaika-- she's the dog's owner..." He became quiet as thoughts invaded his mind again. "This woman, Merevaika lives by herself on the edge of the city. Is that not strange, mother?" His mother's eyes turned back to the fire, her expression thoughtful.

"Strange indeed. You should keep away from this woman, Erikal. A curse, she is. No Enkal, no family. She is a wild animal with no guidance," said his aunt, Ndee, who was busying away with her knitting. His mother on the other hand wasn't so quick to judge. "It is odd. But tragedy can happen to anyone at anytime on the Sea of Grass. Some find new families.....others drift away and become recluses. It is not evil or good, it is simply the way of people." Erikal nodded slowly. He realized he liked Merevaika more than he ought to. And he knew next to nothing about her. He would take her up on her midday visit and probe her a bit on her past.

Ndee's words stayed with him though, as he tried to sleep that night in the great Pavilion. "A curse. A wild animal with no guidance."
The next day Erikal flew through his morning chores. Sweeping out the pens, feeding and watering the animals, and brushing Korvas. Syna soon found its zenith in the great blue sky and he slipped a yvas over Korvas and mounted up. The Drykas hunter decided to show off his strider to Merevaika and by the same token, his horse would get a chance to meet her. If there was anything important to Erikal, it was Korvas.

Before long he arrived on the outskirts of the city. The now familiar place came into view. Merevaika's tent. He noticed the horses once again, but did not see the dogs right away. Korvas blew out his nose, making a snorting noise which usually meant curiosity or greeting. Erikal laughed and patted the strider's neck before swinging down. "Easy boy. Plenty of time to meet that filly." Erikal gestured to his horse, making the sign to represent: wait. He then strode toward the tent entrance, calling to Freya's owner.

"Merevaika. I'm here. It is Erikal."
Erikal
I'm hunting you!

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Animal Ties (Merevaika)

Postby Merevaika on January 10th, 2016, 7:39 pm

Merevaika

Merevaika left the next morning with all the dogs, wanting to try out a little more hunting, especially with the pup she was to sell. They stalked through the grasses well but collapsed into chaos whenever they actually saw something. The whole morning was a fail and by the time they returned to Endrykas, it was already midday.

Erikal was waiting outside her tent, calling out to her. She smiled, walking into view with the bounding dogs. "You caught me rather unawares there Erikal. Thought I'd spend a little time with Freya before you came. Hope I didn't keep you waiting," she smiled mysteriously, moving into her tent.

He had come for lunch and she decided to be at least a little hospitable. She took the remaining meat from last season and the pot, filling it with water. What was usually how stew was made, right? Thinking about it, she wasn't certain if you put the water in before or after the meat, but it was too late now.

She emerged with it in her hand, ready to start a fire. Kneeling down to begin, she started to set up the fire, asking for Erikal's help as she did. Eventually, it began to burn and the pot, filled with water and meat, went on top, hopefully to create something edible. With that done, she turned to Erikal with an expectant smile. She didn't say anything, not yet, waiting for him to start.

"Pavi"
Grassland sign
"Common"
Pavi Common

Merevaika
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes