Fancy Meeting You Here [Merevaika]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Not found on any map, Endrykas is a large migrating tent city wherein the horseclans of Cyphrus gather to trade and exchange information. [Lore]

Moderator: Gossamer

Postby Kyo on December 31st, 2015, 12:04 am

What that? What mean? As Kyo dropped the coins into Merevaika's hand, his face screwed up, memory searching, trying to figure out not only what she meant but how to explain. He didn't have a word for Sky other than that in his song-language. For a moment he looked at Tachi as if that might help, the bond between them already prompting him to turn towards her for comfort and support.

As Merevaika took his hand and guided it slowly to a place on the Strider's head, as he rested his palm there and stroked a finger slowly between her ear and the ridge of bone above her eye, scratching as he might with Pack, he said, "Tachi is... I name her, in my head. I name Tachi Sky." He paused, trilling the name one more time before trying to think back. "It is the Vani language. The snow-language. I come from a snow-place, far-place named Avanthal, where the cold and snow is... staying. They don't stop. Not like this place. There is no warm like here." He looked around at the ground trodden by horse hooves and churned into a mostly-frozen muck beneath the foot. It was chilly here, yes, but nothing like there. And the snow here had not lasted long, not at all. Only for days. Then it got warm and wet and the snow was gone.

That was okay, though. The snow reminded him too badly of home. It cut into him like the hot-cold burn of ice. He huddled his body a little closer, shoulders turning in.

"In Vani, Sky is..." He left his one hand on his Sky's head and motioned with the other upwards, trying to encompass all of it, the dim winter sun and scattered clouds from horizon to horizon. "All." He looked at Merevaika to see if she understood. "But in Vani there is more language, more-- more--" he tried to think of the shape of what he was trying to say, "More words, much more. Sky in Vani is Sky{friend}, Sky{bonded}, Sky{good}, Sky{all}. All words for Sky. Not... not like the words in this place." Though that was not exactly right. Because there was a way to flavor words here, too: the grassland signs. Instead of making the words with the mouth, here the tent-people made extra-words with the hands.

But he did not know if he wanted to talk more about where he had come from. It was still like an open wound inside him. Hurting about what he had lost.

Sky had let him stroke her head and now he remembered what Merevaika had done with her before, settling her with the arms wrapped around, much like a hug that human-forms gave. "What more Tachi-Sky" welcome, relief-happy? "What you show I? What help I-you? What can I do for her to help? Is... what do you need help with? Um..." He couldn't think of the word touch, but was hold close enough to that so Merevaika would understand? "What place... where... do I hold her? Where me Tachi" he reached out as if to touch another part of the horse, but without going too far so she wouldn't be scared, no fear? He again tried to copy the word Merevaika had said before, the one like yes that he was thinking might be something like understand, this time making it a question directed towards the Drykas with a tilt of questioning fingers.

Finally he just asked, "What help? You-I what train Sky?" Trying to ask what Merevaika wanted him to do. He had no idea about horses and didn't like to even be very close to them-- except for Kai, his friend who was a horse-man, and now Sky. He had no idea what he was supposed to be doing, except making it so his Tachi-Sky was not so afraid of him and his smell, like Merevaika had said. But other than that... was a horse like a pup? Could he teach Sky new things, like he was teaching Pack, or were horses different from dogs in that way? And what things would he need to teach her, if that was something he could learn to do? Riding? He couldn't imagine climbing on top of Sky, not when it would scare her so badly. And he didn't want to get hurt himself again, either.

"Speaking in Common"
"And in Vani{descriptors}"
"And in Tukant [implications, descriptors]"
"And in Pavi" grassland sign
Kyo
--

Words: 328278
Joined roleplay: July 22nd, 2013, 6:41 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Merevaika on January 1st, 2016, 2:28 pm

Merevaika

"Sky," Merevaika repeated, the name Kyo had given to Tachi before he learned the one Merevaika had given her. It was Vani, from a far off place called Avanthal. She knew of the snowy plains, but nothing else. How had the Kelvic travelled so far, and why make the journey? Surely if Avanthal was his home, he wouldn't stray far. But she had nothing to say, for she didn't know if it was his home. Some people never had one.

Kyo huddled a little, not because of the cold as much as memories, before gesturing towards the sky, the scattered clouds that drifted peacefully and Syna that slumbered in the cold. "All." He said, Merevaika trying to understand what he meant. "Is [color=#FF80FF]sky sky?"[/color] she asked, uncertain whether he would even understand the word. She repeated it in common, "It is Sky?"

There was more to it, as Kyo said more, explaining how there were more words, much more. He said the word once, as she knew it, then repeated four times, each time slightly different. She tried to copy, but the similarities lost her. All she could say was "Sky."

Kyo seemed to change the conversation, trying to ask something. "What help I-you?" He said more in common, "What place... where... do I hold her?"

He asked more, but Merevaika became lost in thought, trying to decipher his words. He wanted to help her train Tachi, to teach her to not fear him. That would come in time, Merevaika knew. If Kyo stayed with Tachi, trained her with Merevaika, she would learn to not fear him. But perhaps he was asking for reassurance, the knowledge that it would happen.

"Whistle into her nose," she advised, "Horses like that. Can you come here, maybe every other day, every day you can? We will work with her then, teach her to listen to us. Listen to both of us. Then, we can work on getting her to let us ride her. I'll help you train her, and you can help me with other small jobs and chores. Understand? "

"Pavi"
Grassland sign
"Common"
Pavi Common

Merevaika
Player

Words: 569615
Joined roleplay: November 8th, 2014, 9:33 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Kyo on January 3rd, 2016, 10:13 pm

Kyo smiled at Merevaika repeating the name in the ice-language; it had been long since he had known anyone besides himself to speak it aloud. Suddenly, as if realizing what it was that Merevaika had just realized, he knew that he was very, very far from where he had come from. It was not exactly sad to think of how far because his boy was not there in that place anymore, and would never be again. That place, though there may still be family there, his growing-up Vani mother and sisters and brothers, it was no longer home.

Endrykas, in its way, felt more like a home than that place did.

"It is Sky?" Immediately he nodded, yes, that was it. He had trouble with remembering words sometimes until someone else said them. "Sky," he repeated in Common, then motioned with his hands, yes, thanks. "What Sky Pavi?" He was asking if she might say the word in the Drykas language again and round it all off; then he would know Sky's name in Vani, Common, and Pavi, all together.

At her advice to whistle(?) for Sky, he gave her an odd look. He thought he knew what the word meant, surely it was whistle, to blow out through the mouth? He had learned the word from Ramsay, as whistling was a big part in training dogs to herd. And, in his case, training coyotes.

Still, thinking of Sky and how she didn't seem to quite like loud noises, he decided to hold off on that for now.

The rest of her speech he had to struggle through as always, picking out the words he knew and puzzling them together. You come here, day, day? Work her, teach her listen. Listen. Work... run(?) her. He didn't think that was right. I help you train her, you help... something like work(?) or train(?), they mixed up in his head sometimes. Understand?

"I understand..." he said uncertainly, this time finally forming the word right as he picked it up from the other. "You help I, I help you. I come. I want, yes, thanks." Thanks, happy. Happy-help you. "Um." That uncertainty again. "I will come all days. All days I want to be with Tachi-Sky." He was nervous as he said it. There was once again a confusing, conflicting combination of fear --that he would let Sky down somehow, that he would fail her-- but despite that fear the urge of not wanting to be apart. Not knowing what to do about how he felt, he stuck out his hand at Merevaika as if to shake how people always seemed to do once a deal was made. Though he rather felt like hugging the wild-not-wild woman, not just shaking. It was thanks to her that he felt anything at all. Thanks to her for having Tachi, for bringing the two bonded, coyote and Strider, together-- even unintentionally.

Even if she didn't want to shake he would give her a big smile, signing once more, happy-relief, happy happy.

Then he felt it was time to go. It was oddly difficult to turn away from the Strider's dark gaze after only knowing her such a short time; really, after still not knowing her at all. He signed to the horse, I-you, brother-sister, bond. Then he had to turn and walk away.

It was like leaving behind the shelter of the sky. Suddenly he was out there, floating again by himself, with nothing and no one to hold him down.

He promised himself he would visit the Strider every day he could.

"Speaking in Common"
"And in Vani{descriptors}"
"And in Tukant [implications, descriptors]"
"And in Pavi" grassland sign
Kyo
--

Words: 328278
Joined roleplay: July 22nd, 2013, 6:41 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Prophet on February 5th, 2016, 12:04 am

ImageImage

Kyo announced to me that he is done with Mizahar for the time being. If you return, Kyo, PM me and I'll grade your posts. Merevaika, I am a big fan of your character and your writing. I look forward to seeing how you conquer more challenges in the future. Are you keeping Tachi since Kyo has left? Your CS indicates a mare still within your possession.

Merevaika
XP
  • Weapon – Short Bow: +1
  • Observation: +5
  • Animal Husbandry: +4
  • Socialization: +5
  • Logic: +1
  • Leadership: +1
Lores
  • Merevaika: Belongs to the Roughblade but not
  • Merevaika: Has a soft spot
  • Kyo: A different kind of Kelvic