Completed [Safehaven Hostel] Foreigners Unwelcomed

The Hostel seems to be the only place foreigners can have an open discussion.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Known as the Celestial Seat, Nyka is a religious city in Northern Sylira. Ruled by four demigods and traversed by a large crevice, the monk-city is both mystical and dangerous. [Lore]

[Safehaven Hostel] Foreigners Unwelcomed

Postby Imass on December 19th, 2015, 6:25 am

Winter 35, 515, Late-Evening

The dimly-lit common room at the Safehaven Hostel was depressing and quiet as usual. Nothing adorned the worn, red brick walls. There were a few simple long tables with benches and several square tables with chairs. A hearth blazed at one end of the room and few lanterns spotted the rest of the Hostel. A dozen sullen people sat scattered and spoke in hushed tones. Vysia, the crippled monk who ran the place, was half asleep at the counter.

Imass sat next to the fire and was rumbling a sad song he had been working on the last week.

"For~ three long years~ I've been darkness~ No pleasure here on Mizahar I can find~ I have no comrades to help me now~ help me now~"

The Akalak was no composer, but his situation left him sitting around all day in boredom waiting for more work. In the last week, he had only gotten one mercenary job that barely paid for his living expense thus far.

"I am bound to ramble and wander~ perhaps I'll die in this city~ until I can fly away~ fly away~ There is only one promise that is given~ I will meet you once again when I die~"

The blue man was staring at the wall as he sung, completely lost in thought. His three year beard was down to his chest and his hair hung in greasy strands to his shoulders. He wore simple gray woolen clothes.
Last edited by Imass on December 28th, 2015, 4:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Imass
Veteran of the Sahova Campaign

Words: 431651
Joined roleplay: June 19th, 2012, 4:35 am
Race: Akalak
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Thread (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1)

Postby Zeb on December 19th, 2015, 9:50 am

A shadow covered Vysia, and the monk suddenly found himself very awake and very, very alert. Either that or he was still asleep, for there was giant monkey-like creature looming over his counter, teeth bared in what was either a friendly smile or sheer, murderous rage; it was hard to tell. There was a part of him that knew he should scream, should cry for the warriors of Uphis to slew the beast, but that was that...this weird disconnect to this whole thing. Nyka had its mysteries, and the Apeture had its surprises, but this was still quite bizarre.

"Good sir." Funny, he could have sworn the thing just spoke. Its voice, if indeed it did speak, was low than the pits, and the counter shook at it. Or maybe it was his hand that was shaking. "Good sir." There it went again. It spoke in that reasonable, thoughtful tone. "Know you where I can find the veteran of Sahova?" Without really consciously thinking, the monk pointed towards the fire at the hunched Imass. "Thank you, good sir. I must commend you for your restraint. I've been assailed thrice on my way here, and it grows tedious. I am Zeb, and you have my gratitude." The beast moved, carefully navigating pass the sleeping and the quiet with surprising finesse, and only now could he see that it walked on all fours. It loomed even on all fours.

Huh. He hadn't noticed the broad hat scraping against the ceiling until now.

Zeb placed one huge palm on Imass' shoulder, covering it entirely. He hasn't even begun to speak before he knew, from the way Imass had reacted, that it was a huge, huge mistake.
Zeb
Player

Words: 2084
Joined roleplay: December 19th, 2015, 3:46 am
Race: Jamoura
Character sheet

Postby Imass on December 19th, 2015, 3:37 pm

Entirely lost in thought, the Akalak did not notice Zeb enter the Hostel until an enormous, hairy hand touched his shoulder. A shiver of surprise went down his spine and he reacted with automatic hostility. Using both hands to grab the single gorilla paw, the warrior twisted it's arm over his own head and turned to face the beast.

"WHAT-THE!?" Imass grunted, his eyes quivering in distress. His jaw dropped as he had never seen a Jamoura in his life. It was a massive nine foot tall creature, completely covered in hair, and wore a hat that touched the ceiling. It was much wider than an Akalak and smelled strangely though not bad. Squeezing as hard as he possibly could, Imass bared his teeth.

The knight did not let go of his restraint on Zeb's arm until the creature began to speak, "Don't ever sneak up on me again!" He said releasing Zeb and backed away slowly staring at the monsters face.
Imass

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Zeb on December 19th, 2015, 4:48 pm

"I say, good sir!" The humans were mice in a great temple compared to the herculean Jamoura, but the blue one was a tad and a half above that. Zeb winced in pain, holding back the urge to swat the veteran across the room. The Moral considerations aside, it did his already uneasy status in Nyka no good to be batting around gutter rats and hobos.

Better a pompous curiosity than a monster, his father had once told him, when advising him on proper etiquette in the cities of man. You must accommodate their ignorance, he added, and it sounded like arrogant cultural posturing at the time...Until he actually met the best and brightest of this sorry, violent lot. The blue humans, from what little he had seen of them, had the reputation of warriors. It was no wonder that violence came so easily to them.

But the man did release him. Good, he was not unreasonable. "Apologies." Zeb said, rubbing his hand absently. "I have heard rumors of a warrior who had come from the isle of nuits, and the chance for a direct accounting of such a tale was too much to pass by.But where are my manners?" He attempted to tip his hat, but it was too sandwiched between the ceiling and his hair for proper one. "My name is Zeb of The Spires."
Zeb
Player

Character sheet

Postby Imass on December 19th, 2015, 5:55 pm

The blue man stared with dull, yellow eyes at the savage looking gorilla. He was intimidating, but he spoke with graceful civility. Imass was not sure how to judge just a reverent, beastly creature so he remained polite, accepting his apology with a curt nod.

"Well met Zeb. I am known as Imass the Knight," the blue man sat down once again next to the hearth, reintroducing himself despite the fact the gorilla already knew his name, "I shall tell you my tale, but first you must buy me a drink," When the gorilla turned to order from Vysia, the knight changed his mind, "Wait, make it two drinks Zeb, strong liquor if you will,"

Once the drinks of arrived, the Akalak downed one with one fell gulp, "They have not found a way to kill me yet," He let out a dark chuckle, "Burning faith in Yahal saved me," He downed the second drink immediately without pause or a gag, "Seems like every path leads me to darkness," The Akalak's dark, sullen face was lost in thought as he recalled the horrifying dungeons of Sahova. He missed whatever response that Zeb gave him. The liquor was like a welcomed fire in his stomach.

"In the fall of 512 our war band departed the glorious city of Syliras to meet with our allies in Zeltiva," Imass started, "Oh, how I miss the shining hope that is Syliras," He leaned back, "Our journey was tough. We battled on the plains. Cedrick and his squires fell that day to the horde that attacked us. He was a valiant warrior," The Akalak's thoughts seemed scattered and in all the wrong order, "He did not deserve to die, but perhaps it was better he did not fall victim to the plague to struck our camp..." his voice trailed off before he regained his composure, "Ah, yes, the battle on the plains! It took our entire force to wipe out those vile beasts. We fought for hours. The righteous rage of Sylir burned in my loins, but it could not be satisfied,"
Imass

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Zeb on December 20th, 2015, 8:20 am

Zeb reached for the other drink and downed it. Or at least he would have if Imass the knight hadn't beat him to it. He was secretly grateful for it. Courtesy dictated that he drink as his companion did, but he had no stomach for the toughest of Nyka's brew. He was no teetotaler, but there was something in it that just rubbed him wrong. It reminded him of that deer carcass he had forced himself to ingest during the aftermath of the Djed storm, after that thing that came from it swept the best that The Spires had to offer and disappeared into the forests...

Everyone had their demons, but this was Imass' hour to express his.

He spoke of Yahal salvation, and there was something in his voice that suggested it wasn't a allegorical rescue. He spoke of plagues and battle and beasts wit gusto and fervor, and it was then that Zeb found a small window to interject. "I have heard that a few seasons back, a series of plagues struck Zeltiva and its sister cities. It seems that some of the infected found your way into your campaign." He didn't recognize that sudden change in Imass' look, though it was obvious something was up. When Imass didn't say anything, he continued, "You're a long way from home, blue human. They say the dead from Sahova forge great squids from the meat of men and spawn golem abominations from the soul of their captured - yet here you stand unharmed."
Zeb
Player

Character sheet

Postby Imass on December 20th, 2015, 8:46 am

The Jamoura interjected, talking about the plague in Zeltiva and Sahova's monstrosities. Imass narrowed his eyes in distrust. It was strange such knowledge would be uttered. It seemed to Garonn now the gorilla had no interest in a recount of the war, but rather interest in other matters.

Paranoia filled his mind, though he could not put a finger on it. He tried to dodge the question, "It seems to me that you already know much of the war. Is this common knowledge now? Where did you hear of this? What exactly do you know?"

Garonn wandered if the Jamoura knew the real reason for the expedition.
Imass

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Zeb on December 20th, 2015, 9:06 am

"I read." Zeb half-joked. The Jamoura robbed offense away with a sheepish smile and a nod. "It has been three years, blue human Imass, and word spreads. A tavern wench here, an old grizzled veteran there. I am, like all of my people, a teller of tales. A thing of oral tradition. I know little more than hearsay, friend Imass. I am simply a spectator who has come late to the festival. Another drink?"

Without actually hearing his reply, the Jamoura waved a giant hand. Anything to smooth the knight over. He understood what trauma could do to any being, and he would try not to take the blue human's obvious aggression personally. "I simply wish to hear from one who hass survived Sahova. I understand that these may not be experiences you are so willing to relieve, but I am willing to buy your stupor for it." The drinks came, and the Jamoura idly slid both mugs sidewards towards the knight.
Last edited by Zeb on December 20th, 2015, 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zeb
Player

Character sheet

Postby Imass on December 20th, 2015, 10:30 am

Imass listened intently to the gorilla's words with a skeptical eye. This creature was a great speech-crafter. Nothing wrong with that, but it meant that the Akalak needed to pay a lot of attention and not get caught divulging critical information.

"Right, right, I see," Imass grinned as Zeb ordered another drink. The Akalak tried to let down his guard, "Verily, but I insist that you drink with me, we have all night to recount this tale," He pushed one of the drinks back to the Jamoura, raising his mug for a toast, "To the fallen comrades and to making new ones," The Akalak wanted to make sure that he wasn't the only tipsy one.

Wiping the froth from his beard, he curbed Zeb's inquires, "Not to be rude, but what exactly are you?"
Imass

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Zeb on December 20th, 2015, 10:54 am

"To fallen comrades and to making new ones." He held the mug of nykian poison delicately between 2 fingers and briefly considered just tossing its content away while Imass chugged. But Imass seemed intent on him. "To fallen comrades," the Jamoura said again, an ode to his both his tastebuds and the concept of good taste. He threw back his hair, held the mug up, and let the poison fall into him.

And, in that moment, poison was almost not hyperbole. He masked, rather clumsily, his subsequent coughing fit as a deep, rumbling laugh. "This is a strong brew, friend Imass." He coughed again, considered heaving for a second, then settled down. "Imagine a place where the wolves are the size of horses and the eagles have wingspans that block out the sky. I come from that place, and I too am made huge by" -or perhaps the rest of the world was simply tiny- "by the power of that place. I am a Jamoura, a child of the nature goddess Caiyha and a seeker of knowledge. And you? Humans come in shades of black and pink and brown, but I have not met many blue ones. From what I hear, your kind too comes from a land most foreign, no?"
Zeb
Player

Character sheet

Next