Closed [Eastern Quarter] Fly Service

Imass hires Faradae to deliver letters to Syliras

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Known as the Celestial Seat, Nyka is a religious city in Northern Sylira. Ruled by four demigods and traversed by a large crevice, the monk-city is both mystical and dangerous. [Lore]

[Eastern Quarter] Fly Service

Postby Imass on December 22nd, 2015, 3:51 am

Winter 28, 515 AV Afternoon

"And stay out!" The wooden door of the Nykan Delivery Bureau slammed shut with a loud thud.

A large blue fellow with a brown winter coat picked himself up and dusted off. His dull yellow eyes were angry at the outcome of the situation, but his bushy beard hid his facial expression. In a calm demeanor, he knocked on the door again, "Hey! I need my letters back! Those are important you know!?" The wooden door swung open again, but before he could step inside a stack of papers were tossed over his head and the door slammed on his face. The blue man began to shake in fury, but he calmed himself down.

The blue man got on all fours and began to pick up the papers, muttering to himself, "..damn..good for nothing..disgrace of a.."

As he was reaching for the last sealed paper, a gust of wind blew it away from his grasp. Clambering to his feet he began to chase it, but every time he got close the wind would blow it a dozen yards away, "Blast it! Someone grab that paper!"
Imass
Veteran of the Sahova Campaign

Words: 431651
Joined roleplay: June 19th, 2012, 4:35 am
Race: Akalak
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Thread (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1)

Postby Faradae on December 22nd, 2015, 1:09 pm

Faradae
Winter 28, 515 AV, afternoon
A chilly breeze brushed into Faradae’s face as she strolled down the Eastern Quarter’s main boulevard towards the docks. Trade wasn’t nearly as active as she believed it was in spring or summer, but she still liked to watch the dockers and workers load and unload cargo and struggle with the weight of the various goods.

The young woman pulled her cloak a little tighter to block the wind out. Maybe it was time for her to get an extra scarf?

She pushed the thought away. She would not waste what little money she had on something so superfluous. Not as long as she didn’t have a decent income. Not when she might need the money to ship herself to distant shores.

For now, she was happy to explore Nyka, see the bright colours of the citizen’s garments, marvel at the monks shrouded in celestial mystery, stare into the darkness from the stained windows of an inn at night. But life had its price, and she knew her funds were bound to run out if she did not find something to stock them up.

Something suddenly disrupted her thoughts.

It was the unusual sight of a square blue fellow chasing after a bundle of documents like a riotous dervish. For a moment, she just stood and watched in awe as an indigo whirlwind of muttered curses and flying feet rushed down the road, then regained her wit when she realized the papers he was after were about to fly past her. Without thinking, she bent down, snatched the querulant scripture and held it up.

“I captured the fugitives.”
Last edited by Faradae on July 9th, 2017, 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Faradae
Your favourite birb.

Words: 140559
Joined roleplay: December 20th, 2015, 12:24 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Imass on December 22nd, 2015, 7:22 pm

When the young woman grabbed the letter, Imass breathed a huge sigh of relief, "Thank you very kindly young lady," he said smiling as he took the letter back from her, "That letter was very important," The knight paused for a moment to gaze upon her. She was thin and small, but not frail. Her skin was tan and she had deep dark eyes. The wind blowing her brown hair, with the overcast sky in the background had a remarkable beauty to it.

"I am Imass," he said in a delicate manner. He had the capacity to scare young women easily if he did not check himself, "It is good to meet you," he politely bowed, with an out stretched hand. This hand was calloused and strong, but he did not shake her's with any force, "What is your name?" He smiled.
Imass

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Faradae on December 22nd, 2015, 8:04 pm

Faradae
Faradae was a little surprised to find the blue man switch from a small raging fit to the most polite demeanour one could expect to find on the streets of Nyka. She had anticipated a small “thank you” and the stranger walking away, minding his own business, but certainly not a formal introduction, bowing and all.

Nevertheless, she concealed her bafflement and returned the greeting, firmly shaking what was a blue prank in comparison to her own hand and looked the stranger in the eye. “I’m Faradae, pleased to meet you.” There was silence for a moment, and she used it to examine her new acquaintance in more detail.

Blending the obvious oddity of his deep blue skin out for a moment, she saw a face, hardy, like it had seen more than one battle. He was smiling now and it smoothed his face, but she still silently decided she’d rather not be the centre of his annoyance. Or meet him outside at night-time, for that matter.

Another blast of icy wind reminded her that it was still winter and that standing outside without moving would eventually freeze her to the ground or at least bestow upon her the displeasure of a hearty cold. The moment had been long enough, so she broke the silence.

“If those letters are important, you should stow them somewhere safe, not carry them around.” A smile brightened her face. “I’m afraid I can’t guarantee I’ll be around every time the wind takes a toll on you.”
Last edited by Faradae on July 9th, 2017, 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Faradae
Your favourite birb.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Imass on December 22nd, 2015, 8:25 pm

The young lady's smile was a delight. The knight could tell intuitively that she had not seen the horrors of war like he had, nor been afflicted with plagues of doom and despair. This made the blue man feel good for some odd reason, knowing that such people lived.

"Aye, true words, lady-Faradae," Imass chuckled at her joke, "You see the real problem here is that the Nykan Delivery Bureau has rudely rejected their services to me - which is a problem - for these letters must get to Syliras as soon as possible. I would not suggest dealing with that man, Andelo-yo-yo, or whatever he calls himself," A look of disgust swept over his face at the mention of the name, "Hmph,"

Little did Imass know, fifty yards behind him, Anđelko Mlakar stood beside the red brick building speaking to two monks, while pointing at the Imass and Faradae conversing.
Imass

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Faradae on December 22nd, 2015, 9:18 pm

Faradae
"Syliras, you say?" She had heard a couple of things about Syliras. Like the name implied, it was part of Sylira, just like Nyka was. It was said to be peaceful, which, on the other hand, was quite contrary to what Faradae had witnessed in her short time in Nyka. It was definitely a place she wanted to see, and on top of that, she wished to leave Nyka as soon as possible. It was not the vague smell of violence that made the air sick and not the ominous presence of the monks lingering at every corner, controlling the citizens’ lives, even rationing their food that made her want of the Celestial Seat, it was the fact that Nyka was her direct tie to the home she had just left, and she did not feel comfortable while she still was so close, she felt like she had not truly departed yet.
An idea began to blossom in her mind. “We might just come to an arrangement,” she told Imass, too occupied with the prospect of travelling on to react to his mockery of the delivery agent. “I’m planning to go to-“ It was at this point that she noticed two men approaching them. A golden coin – the insignia of Laat – was stitched to their chests. Monks. With an ill-boding expression on their grim faces. She looked back to Imass and started talking quite rapidly. “Something tells me you did not part with the Delivery Bureau on all too splendid terms. You probably didn’t notice because it’s happening behind your back, but at this very moment two stern-looking supposedly religious men are quickly drawing closer. If I may pose a suggestion, we should continue this conversation elsewhere.”
Faradae
Your favourite birb.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Imass on December 23rd, 2015, 5:51 am

Imass raised an eyebrow and a worried look swept over his face when the young lady pointed out that two monks were approaching. The knight did not move an inch; in fact, a single bead of sweat rolled down his brow. Imass knew how these things went down from his own experience being a knight in Syliras. Faradae's suggestion to run was not a good one, that would end in death or imprisonment. The Knight needed to talk his way out of it. He was not scared of the monks, it just made him anxious to be a sub-dominate position after spending so many years imprisoned in a dungeon.

"Oh?" Imass said to Faradae, taking a deep breath trying to calm himself down and be confident in front of the girl, "Just relax lady Faradae, nothing I can't clear up... just act like nothing's wrong and if they question you just act stupid,"

The two Laat monks finally reached Imass, hollering for his attention. The Akalak turned around and immediately noticed the golden coin badges on their winter clothing. Must be an insignia for this quarter of the city,Garonn noted.

"Hey Blue-Man," the shorter, stocky one growled, "It's been brought to our attention that you have been harassing Anđelko Mlakar,"

"Yes," Imass said looking at the floor, "I was -uh- annoyed that he could not process my request, I am sorry for the disruption,"

The taller, thin one, "You are a foreigner huh? Where you from blueberry?"

Imass wanted to snap at his comment, but he held himself back emotionless, knowing full well their game, "I hail from Syliras good sir,"

"Now that I think about it Mlakar mentioned something about blueberry demanding messenger pigeons taking your letters to Syliras," said the tall one to the short one, "Demanding, this foreigner thinks that he can demand from Nyka," He laughed.

"OH what a folly," the short one began in equal condescending tone, "Wait! Blueberry, I don't even think you offered to pay in advance for such a service,"

"My situation, good sir, is not good and I must get these letters --"

The tall monk stepped forward and kicked Imass in the gut extremely hard, "Enough about the letters!" The knight simply took the attack and dropped on one knee. Everything in his body was screaming to respond with violence. His fists clenched tightly and visual signs of distress absorbed the blue man's face.

"This is Nyka! We don't care about your Syliran letters," the monk laughed, "Next time you pay up before hand or don't bother pushing any issues here. There are no free rides here for foreigners,"

Resisting every natural Akalak instinct to pounce on him and holding back every fiber of his knightly training telling him attack, Imass uttered words he never envisioned saying, "Verily, good sir, it won't happen again,"

Laughing the two monks started walking away, "That warning goes for you too girl!"

Smoldering fury began to build inside Imass for the Nykans had made him kneel for a cause he did not agree with. Survival was more important though, getting home to his family was priority. I'll slay these men if I ever get a chance, Garonn thought, Don't even think about it! Imass retorted.

Once the monks were well out of sight, the knight stood up again.
Imass

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Faradae on December 23rd, 2015, 8:24 am

Faradae
It was true that Faradae had not been part of the incident in the Delivery Bureau, in fact, she had not taken notice of it at all until Imass had emerged into the street, with his letters, with his problems. In consequence, it would only be natural to assume that she was not concerned for her own well-being as this risky situation arose. This assumption is wrong. She was afraid indeed, and very much so. She had seen the sudden aggravation these friars were capable of, and she had witnessed that it was not always directed at those who were to blame. Anger was an erratic thing. Quite impossible to predict.

It was unusual for an eagle to follow the instinct to run, a behaviour to be expected from prey rather than from the predator. But there was more shame in bowing one’s head to a disrespected creature than to avoiding confrontation to begin with. At least that was what Faradae told herself later when she remembered this situation, trying to make sense of her own reactions. Or maybe she was just trying to mask a moment of cowardice.

In any case, she felt a little stupid, standing there, still afraid, still freezing. Watching the monks approach, watching Imass not budge, watching him fight his fear while fighting her own. It was generally a very passive act, all this watching. She watched the guards harass the blue man. She watched them kick him. She also saw his non-reaction, which filled her with surprise. There was a certain tension that rendered her motionless throughout the entire scene, something that she wanted to slap herself for a little time later, something that she was grateful for much later, when she came to understand that not reacting was the one and only lifesaving action there and then.

She also heard a couple of things. Some minor things, like the guards talking to her new acquaintance rather than talking with him. Or the Delivery agent snickering in the background (he had one of those disgustingly complacent smirks on his face). More importantly, a warning directed at her, a warning that told her she really wanted to leave Nyka, and now. Had she thought she was not afraid of the monks just a few chimes ago, she knew better now, because she shamefully was. Of course she was.

When the monks took their leave, the tension dissolved like morning haze into sunlight. But she had dejection for light, and a certain feeling of helplessness that she did not remember to have felt before, although it was all too descriptive of her situation in Nyka.

She did not say a word until the monks had vanished from sight. Not a word of thanks, nothing to describe the humiliation.
She did not want to say the wrong thing.

They were still standing in the middle of the boulevard down to the docks, the wind had not eased, but this time, Faradae failed to feel the cold outside. She was much too occupied by the thoughts swirling within.

Then, quietly: “I will deliver those letters, if you will have me.”
Faradae
Your favourite birb.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Imass on December 23rd, 2015, 8:50 am

Imass stared off towards the docks for a few seconds in silence after Faradae offered to deliver the letters. Unbeknownst to the young woman, the two brothers were arguing inside the Akalak's mind. As he was deep in thought, his face slowly turned from angry to distraught then back to normal.

You fool Imass you brought this on yourself.

You were lucky that I was here to keep your foolish rage in check Garonn.

Did you not once vow to return any blow delivered upon you?

I was a child in Riverfall! My Duty is to Syliras! There is no Honor in failing my Duty!

There is no Honor is accepting such a strike without delivering one back.

You fool of a brother!

The blue man turned towards the young woman now, "Apologies that you needed to see that lady Faradae," the Akalak smiled as if the incident had never happened, "I would gladly accept your services, but I am afraid that you would need a whole team to make the journey," Imass doubted that such a young woman could make such a journey alone, but it felt good to see such a kind person here in Nyka. The determined look on her face greatly pleased Imass as well for some reason, "OH! Does your family plan on traveling soon?"
Imass

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Faradae on December 23rd, 2015, 9:14 am

Faradae
When she first noticed the shift in Imass’ expression, Faradae feared that it was directed at her and her offer. Not the anger, of course, the anger belonged to the monks and the shame alone. The dismay, however, that replaced the anger, could very well be a direct reaction to some young girl offering to make a long journey and take very important letters away with her.

She could imagine the thoughts.

Such a scrawny figure, all alone on the road? She won’t make it.

As if I’d give something as important to a complete stranger.

She was about to withdraw her words, and humiliation, once again, threatened to wash over her in a second wave of iciness, when the face changed again and she realized that the dismay had not been addressed at her to begin with. Imass was only remembering her standing there at this very moment, it seemed, at least he now focused on her when he spoke.

He was back to his original friendly face, as if trying to erase the chimes that had passed between their interrupted conversation and now. If only. The doubt was still there, but it was not so much the fear for his own belongings than concern for a young girl, yet another facet to astonish her about the blue man. Hadn’t he stressed just how important those letters where? Where did this trust come from?

But she was far from questioning it. The chance was too good to destroy with the wrong questions.

“Quite on the contrary,” she said, “I’m on my own, and I assure you that it’s both faster and safer than sending your letters with a travelling caravan.” She chose not to tell him that this would be her first enterprise of this kind, but decided that it was necessary to inform him of her true nature. It was vital in explaining why her manner of travelling was a safe option, and she did not fear his reaction. He was a blue man in a city of white men, if there was someone who’d avoid discrimination, it was probably him. “I’m Kelvic.” And once again, she twisted the facts a bit to her own benefit: “That means I can turn into a bussard.” Which was not true, of course. In fact, she was a bussard with the miraculous ability to turn into a human. But as a matter of fact, she believed that people were more likely to put their trust into a human rather than into a bird. “I travel by wing rather than by foot.”
Last edited by Faradae on July 9th, 2017, 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Faradae
Your favourite birb.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Next