Closed [The Ironworks] A "Boy" and a Smith (Hwyn)

Hwyn comes into the Ironworks to request Terag's help.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

[The Ironworks] A "Boy" and a Smith (Hwyn)

Postby Terag on December 22nd, 2015, 4:18 pm

30th of Winter 515AV – two bells before noon

The air outside had started to become colder and colder, and in all honesty Terag was surprised it hadn’t snowed just yet this season. Though despite the cold and the breaths hanging in the air, it was as warm as ever inside the the Ironworks. Even the stone floor beneath his feet seemed a bit less chilled than the air outside. The head from the forges kept the space more than warm enough, as Terag had already removed his cloak when he got in to work, his simple clothes and apron proving to be too much as well, though he kept them on for safety reasons.

He used the back of his right arm to remove the sweat from his brow before going back to work on the small dagger in front of it. He could have sworn it was too small to be an effective weapon, but it wasn’t his place to judge just yet. So instead, he sat in a seat behind the counter and continued to use the sandpaper to rub off blemishes on the metal. He had gotten most of the soot off of the weapon by now, his practiced movements danced along the blade as he worked – humming as well as he did so.

He hummed louder to himself, a song from his childhood about the forge. It wasn’t like he had anyone to bother him or complain about his humming, the cold today seemed especially good at keeping out the random customers who came in simply to browse, and so the area in front of the counter was devoid of life for the time being. The weapons on display along the walls would have been cool to the touch anyways, as they were much closer to the door outside than they were to forges behind him. Though in all honesty, Terag preferred the cool touch of metal nearly at all times of the year. It was a comfort thing from growing up working with metal. However, this truth wouldn’t hold long.
Last edited by Terag on December 22nd, 2015, 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts "Isurian" "Common" "Others' Speaking"
The above colors are subject to change, bear with me please!
My Character Sheet, I'm working on making it prettier.
Terag
The Singing Smith

Words: 226408
Joined roleplay: April 16th, 2015, 7:21 am
Race: Isur
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

[The Ironworks] A Boy and a Smith (Hwyn)

Postby Hwyn on December 22nd, 2015, 5:34 pm

Hwyn woke with a start in an unfamiliar place, he was still not used to the new housing in Syliras, and the haunting dreams of Sunberth were doing Hwyn's acclimation to Syliras no favors. Shaking the sleep out of his head Hwyn stretched and rubbed his eyes readying himself for another day. The first order of business being to get his disguise together, though Hwyn occasionally wondered if it was a disguise any more than it was an identity anymore. Pulling the dress over his head Hwyn pulled the neck up to cover the scars on his back that reached almost entirely to his neck. Then patting the skirt down so that the backs of his equally ragged thighs were also hidden by his dress, some things where better left unseen, and wishfully, forgotten. Next came the part that Hwyn enjoyed. Pulling out the makeup he had acquired when he arrived in Syliras, starting with the rouge, Hwyn used makeup sparingly not wanting the fact that he used it at all to be overly evident, then for a final touch Hwyn applied a small amount of the Kohl eyeliner to his eyes hopefully defining them a little better and hiding the fact that he had not been sleeping well.

Finally finished Hwyn pt on his shoes and Cloak and set out with a clear goal in his head. Hwyn had decided he would learn to fight and learn an honest trade in Syliras, Hwyn was beginning to consider the idea of becoming a Squire and was beginning to warm to the idea. But if he was going to do that he needed a weapon. Having gotten direction earlier Hwyn began making his way to the Ironworks in hope of getting some sort of weapon with which he could learn to battle with. Upon making his way to his destination and Stepping inside Hwyn was greeted with a welcome warmth that beat away the frigid outside air.

Looking around Hwyn was not too sure of what to think of the smithy, it smeeled of smoke and the building had a fine layer of soot covering it, though that was normal for a smithy, at least it should be Hywn thought. Hearing some odd tune rumbling from the back of the Smithy Hwyn made his way to the counter to investigate spotting the man who had to be the smith humming and shining a weapon as he did so. Lightly clearing his throat to annouce his presence to the smith in the the back.

"Uhm... Hello Mr, uh... Smith, I'm here to get a weapon, if you don't mind that is."

Still nervous when interacting with strangers Hwyn fiddled witha lock of his hair while he waited on a response, a nervous tick he had acquired in Syliras. Hwyn disliked talking to strangers, more so if those strangers where male strangers, whom Hwyn tended to dislike without any real evidence due to precedent. But Whyn was going to get his weapon one way or another so he steeled himself for interacting with the humming Smith.
Hwyn
Soul endowed plushie

Words: 275288
Joined roleplay: May 3rd, 2015, 1:26 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Character (1) Donor (1)

Postby Terag on December 22nd, 2015, 5:54 pm

Terag heard someone clearing their throat, and looked up. It appeared that someone had managed their way into the Ironworks when he wasn’t looking, and young girl at that. To him, he had to guess that the child must be at least in their late twenties – if they were an isurian at least. Barely old enough to be out in the world and finding somewhere to work. Maybe for humans this was when they decided to train, they were still a curious sort. He finished up his song as he stood from his seat, moving towards the counter and setting the dagger and sandpaper underneath so he could give the young woman his full attention. A customer was a customer after all.

Terag looked her over quickly, she was only a couple inches shorter than him at most. Whatever they fed humans here definitely worked, or perhaps his people really were just that short. The dress and make-up definitely made her seem that she was not the kind of person that would be doing the fighting. Perhaps she was picking up a weapon for a brother or father? Maybe whatever man she had taken as mate? He wouldn’t mention any of his thoughts though, as back home some of the women who looked the most innocent were the ones best suited to put you deep in the earth. As far as Terag was concerned she seemed like one of the gentle young women he had seen around Syliras – regardless of the truth that he had yet to find about the person in front of him.

“A weapon? Then you have come to the right place. The name is Terag Magehand, nice to meet you.” Over the counter Terag extended his onyx left hand to Hwyn to shake. “Call me as you like, I do not mind. What sort of weapon are you looking for today?” He was doing his best to seem friendly, he knew it was something he still had to work on. Though over the year he had been here in Syliras, he had found it becoming easier. The same for the idle chatter and the length the conversations between people. With the Isur, sentences and conversations always seemed shorter. Their language was short and to the point, common seemed to lack this. It was almost nice though, usually.

The fiddling of hair was almost missed. Terag again decided not to mention it, though did his best to figure out why the girl in front of him was playing with her hair. Was there something in it? Perhaps they were nervous? Though there was no reason to be nervous in a place like this, or at least as far as Terag was concerned. She wasn’t trying to flirt, was she? That might end badly, so rather than actually be ignorant as per usual for him, Terag decided to just ignore it and pretend to be ignorant if something came up.
Terag
The Singing Smith

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Hwyn on December 22nd, 2015, 6:34 pm

Turning around the Smith looked Hwyn over Sizing him up, swallowing slightly Hwyn mustered what composure he had not to break out in a cold sweat. Though after a few moments of Silence the man Smiled and extended a dark metallic looking arm for Hwyn to shake. and Introduced himself as Terag Magehand. Shaking the extended hand Hwyn greeted him as well.

"It's uhm.. nice to meet you as well, Mr Magehand..."

“Call me as you like, I do not mind. What sort of weapon are you looking for today?”

Now that was a good question. Perhaps a question Hwyn should have asked himself because now that the question faced him. He did know he wanted a small shield but what did he want to go along with it? Perhaps the smith might be able to give him some pointers as to what sort of weapons he could use.

"Actually Mr.. Magehand... I uh... don't really know what kind of weapon I want... I know that I want a Shield, a small one, but I don't know about the kind of weapon I'd need. Uhm.. What kind of weapon do you like sir?"

Hywn continued to fidget hoping that he could get some sort of advice from the smith. The smith himslef wasn't too much bigger than Hwyn so maybe whatever weapon the man favored would be good for Hwyn as well.

"Sorry for not knowing what I want exactly, I hope I'm not wasting your time. I'm not really familiar with fighting, but I want to be useful to someone was kind to me, So I want to learn fight so I can return the favor. So if you could Mr. Magehand, I really want a weapon I can learn to use."

Hwyn was earnest when he told the man his reasoning. He wanted to return the favor to Piper if he could, and becoming something better than a thief would certainly make piper proud of Hwyn, something he really desired.
Hwyn
Soul endowed plushie

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Terag on December 27th, 2015, 7:14 pm

Terag stood silent for a long moment, looking the girl over after she had asked for his opinion on which weapon to use.

"Well I suppose it also depends on how small of a shield you plan on using. If it's one strapped to your arm, like a buckler, you might be able to get away with a two handed sword or a longer spear." he said as he maid his way around the counter, motioning to examples of both types of weapons on the wall. One of each in steel and then one of each wooden with a metal core. "Though I think the fighting style of larger weapons like these might not suit your build very well..."

He turned to look the woman over once more before turning back to the wall. "For someone of your size or build I'd definitely recommend something else than those two. There's also the long sword and short sword, both decent and versatile weapons in their own right." Terag moved along the wall as he talked about the weapons, though he stopped at the corner where a few types of spears and pole arms sat in a barrel. He took a moment to go through it as he continued to speak.

"Though you asked what weapon I prefer right? My particular fancy is usually for weapons that are a bit harder to make, though I currently just use a warfork." Terag made a vague motion to the opposite wall where an iron example of a warfork sat. "However, I started with something like this." From the barrel he pulled a short spear with a five foot shaft. Carefully he moved it around his form, trying not to hit anything around him. He also gave one practice thrust, off to the side of Hwyn and took a step into it as well. Once satisfied with the weapon, Terag spun the weapon and offered the butt of the weapon to the girl. "Here, try this and see how it feels. My spear had a blade on the end, but a spear head is effective as well."
Terag
The Singing Smith

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Hwyn on February 3rd, 2016, 9:44 pm

The smith went about making his suggestions as to what sort of weapons would serve best, deciding after looking her over that a lighter weapon was most likely suited for someone of Hwyn's size.

"Though you asked what weapon I prefer right? My particular fancy is usually for weapons that are a bit harder to make, though I currently just use a warfork."

"However, I started with something like this."

Pulling a short spear out of the barrel the Man spun it around and gave it a couple thrusts at the air. Seeming satisfied with the weapon he handed the butt of the weapon to Hwyn.

"Here, try this and see how it feels. My spear had a blade on the end, but a spear head is effective as well."

Taking the weapon Hwyn gave it an experimental thrust himself mimicking the movements the man had made. it was easy to wield with two hands and hardly to heavy to wield with one, So with a little practice it would probably be no problem to one hand the weapon.

Looking from the weapon to the man Whyn nodded.

"Yeah I like this, it's a tad heavy but I'm sure I can learn to use it. Uhm, if you did have any lighter weapons it'd be nice but I think this sort of thing will do. And yeah A smaller shield was the goal, I wanted something like a Buckler, if you think that's doable."

Looking at the weapon Hwyn smiled, this was going to be the start of a new road for Hwyn, one paved with honesty, or honor... whatever it was the knights liked to swear by.
Hwyn
Soul endowed plushie

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Terag on February 14th, 2016, 9:19 am

Terag chuckled a bit, "There are many light weapons, that one is just my favorite. Let me see what else we have that I can show you... For weapons and a buckler. I'll bring out something a bit bigger too just in case..." Terag stroked his beard for a moment while he thought. Once he remembered where everything was it only took him a couple of moments to amass a small pile of weapons and shields.

Onto the counter he set a couple of other weapons: A longsword and a one handed axe (the two heaviest choices of the bunch), a shortsword, a gladius, and a dagger for the girl to take a look at. For shields he had only brought out a medium sized leather shield which was quite light, and two bucklers. One to be held in the hand, and the other to be strapped to the forearm.

"There are of course other weapons to choose from too, but we do not keep many of the more unique items on hand. Not usually something I would recommend but if you are interested and determined you should be able to learn how to use them. We can make things like a kopis - a heavy bladed dagger, nunchaku, sawtoothed blade, angle-blade, sword catcher, even a wakizashi but for those the best I could show you is a practice weapon version if you want to see. For shields I think these are your best bet, at least for being light." Terag smiled, it was good to talk business.
Terag
The Singing Smith

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes