[Flashback] Daddy Daughter Time (Training)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

While Sylira is by far the most civilized region of Mizahar, countless surprises and encounters await the traveler in its rural wilderness. Called the Wildlands, Syliran's wilderness is comprised of gradual rolling hills in the south that become deep wilderness in the north. Ruins abound throughout the wildlands, and only the well-marked roads are safe.

Postby Kendall Saarinen on December 10th, 2010, 3:17 am

Timestamp: 34th of Summer, 509 AV

OOCLooking back at this after about a year I noticed that is is super long so I am breaking it up into small posts so whoever grades it will not rip their hair out reading.
"Kendall, if you take any longer getting packed I'm not taking you on my trip to the Wildlands!" Kendall rushed throughout her room grabing things off every shelf so she would be completely packed for her trip to the Wildlands with her Father. He was not the most patient man in the word and he was clearly showing it with his constant calls up to Kendall's room. "I'm almost ready dad!" The trip would not be long. It would not take much longer than a day if not less. They were just heading out to get some nature samples and Kendall's father was taking her to give her some insight on what he did for a living. When finally the last of her belongings were packed she raced down the stairs to where her father was standing. He looked her up and down and frowned. "Kendall, you cannot go out to the Wildlands in a dress." She frowned and played with the fabric on her skirt. "Dad, it is such a nice day out! Plus, I love this dress! It is perfect for summer." She beamed up at her father and swayed from side to side making her dress move along with her. Her father grumbled under his breath and picked up his bag. "Well don't go complaining to me when bugs and plants start to go up your skirt. I'm not walking you all the way back home. I have work to do today." She sighed and walked up the stairs to her room. Although she really wanted to wear her dress she knew her father was right. He tended to be a lot.

"Now if you see a plant with three green leaves and red stripes what are you going to do?" Kendall's father often liked to quiz her on wilderness survival when he took her out to the Wildlands with him. She simply rolled her eyes. "Not touch it because it will give me a rash." She often found these quizzes to be tedious but she was touched that her father cared enough to make sure she was safe. "What about stepping over logs?" Kendall laughed and pushed her hair back. "Step on the rock before stepping over it in case there are snakes hiding on the other side. Dad, I got it." He ruffled her hair and smiled. "Kendall, you are my little princess. I would not be doing my job as a father if I did not nag you about this stuff." She smiled up at him and laughed. Although it was a bit cheesy she loved when her dad talked like that.
"I'm burning and I'm blacking my lungs.
Boy you know it feels good with fire back on your tongue."
-Ryan Ross

Kendall Saarinen
Like John Allerdyce but hotter

Words: 595666
Joined roleplay: November 6th, 2010, 1:04 am
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Kendall Saarinen on November 23rd, 2011, 6:34 pm

After a while the two made it to the Wildlands. "Honey, stay close. You never know what can sneak up on you around here." Kendall smiled and wrapped an arm around her father's arm. They walked out into the Wildlands and then when they were a good distance out Kendall's father stopped. "Okay, We need to head West." He looked out around the Wildlands and then back to his daughter. She raised an eyebrow at him. "Get out your compass?" She was not sure if her father had hit his head. Getting out a compass seemed to be the logical thing to do. He shook his head and handed a stick to Kendall. She held it in her hand and laughed. "A stick from an Oak Tree?" She was not sure why her father would just hand her stick randomly. She said the name of the tree in case he was trying to test her on her knowledge of trees but she did not think that was it. "Stick it in the ground." It seemed simple enough. A little too simple at that. She did not know why her father was making her do such a tedious task but she stuck the stick in the ground like he asked. "Okay... now what?" Her father smiled and pointed to the shadow that was stretching from the base of the stick. "We follow the direction of the shadow. Shadows always point west." Kendall looked down at the shadow and nodded. "That is really cool dad. I never knew that. I guess thats why you are the scholar and not me." Her father nodded with an air of fake cockiness and Kendall ran into his arms. "It means a lot that you would take me out here with you. I really appreciate you teaching me all of this nature stuff even if I pretend that I don't." He pulled her in close and kissed the top of her head. "I know kid. I'm glad you come out here with me too. I love this one on one time with you."

After a few chimes the pair stopped again. "Why are we stopping?" Kendall looked around to see if there were any animals or important plants. "I'm going to teach you about plants now." Kendall's father knelt down and plucked a plant out of the dirt. "This is Aloe, it is good for healing wounds and treating sunburns." Kendall nodded and took the plant in her hand. She tried to memorize what the plant looked like. A plant that could help heal wounds would come in handy. "It is important to remember with plants that although they can help you others can hurt you. A good amount are poisonous and they can hurt you in a number of ways. You can get poisoned either by ingestion, contact with the skin, or inhalation. You always have to be wary of where you are and what plants are around you. Even a touch from poison ivy can give you a nasty rash." Kendall nodded in understanding. This was a lot of new information but she welcomed it. "On the same note, everyone has a different level of resistance to the toxins in plants. On the same note, some people may be more sensitive to toxins in certain plants than others. Different plants have different levels of toxin due to where they are grown and how they are growing. Also with different plants a little poison can kill you while others need to have high levels of their pollen or juices in your body to hurt you." It was a lot to take in. When Kendall agreed to join her father in the Wildlands she did not think she would be learning so much. "Wow, this is so much. I'm glad you are teaching me about it though. Knowing me, I would end up eating something completely poisonous." Kendall was glad she was a student of Literature, she would have never been able to remember all the things that her father knew about the wilderness. "So is there anything I should avoid?" Her dad nodded and pointed to a patch of mushrooms. "It is always best to steer clear of all mushrooms. There are harmless mushrooms but it is far too tedious to try and figure out which ones are safe. Also, many poisonous mushrooms look almost exactly like safe mushrooms. It is just easier to avoid them all together. It is best to avoid any unnecessary contact with plants all together though. The less you touch plants the less of a chance you have of getting poisoned." Kendall, who had been fiddling with the leaves of a tree to her right let go of the leaves quickly after hearing this and wiped her hands off on the legs of her pants. "Well what can I eat then, in a survival situation that is?" Kendall was sure that her father was getting to that point but she hated to stay silent for so long. At least not when she was out in the Wildlands. Her father smiled and sat down on a stump. "Well there are some immediate signs that you should not eat the plants. Milky or discolored sap is one. Another is a three lead growth pattern. Thorns, hairs, and spines are obvious signs to stay away of course. Beans or bulbs inside pods show that the plant is toxic as well as grain heads with pink, purplish, or black spurs. A bitter or soapy taste can show that the plant is not good for eating. Of course if you can taste it then it is already to late to not eat it." He looked out at the plants around him as if he was searching for a certain one. "Kendall look for a tree with smooth grey bark and and dark green foliage. These trees are one of the easiest to spot. They are called Beech Trees." Kendall looked around trying to spot the tree that her father had pointed out. Even though her father said it would be easy to spot she was having difficulty finding it. Then she saw it, a streak of grey in a sea of green and brown. "Dad! I see it. It's the Beech Tree!" He looked around and patted Kendall on the back. "Good eye sweetie. Come, follow me." She did what she was told and followed her father to the foot of the tree. He reached up into the tree and pulled a spiked nut out of the tree. "This is a Beechnut. They are one of the most delicious wild nuts and are completely safe to eat. You can tell when you see one because of it's spiked shell." He pulled another from the tree and handed it to Kendall. "They look tough but all you need to do is wedge your fingernail into the shell and it should crack open. The white kernel is edible and quite sweet. Go ahead, try it." Kendall poked her finger through the shell of the nut and cracked it open. She was a bit hesitant to try the kernel but her father had said it was okay. She tentatively bit into it and chewed on the soft center. "It's actually not that bad." Her father shot her a playful glare. "Yeah, what did you think I'd do, poison you?"
-Ryan Ross

Kendall Saarinen

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Kendall Saarinen on November 23rd, 2011, 6:35 pm

"Next we are going to look for something a bit more familiar. We are looking for blackberries. These are important because they are not only edible but if made into a tea they can treat diarrhea by brewing the dried root bark. The bushes are made of long prickly stems and these bushes also can grow raspberries and dew berries but those can be saved for another day." The two waded through the brush checking the bushes around them until Kendall called out to her father. "Dad! I found them!" Her dad walked to her side and knelt in front of the bush. "Sorry hun, these are not blackberries, these are yueberries. They look perfectly harmless but they could kill you in a second. Don't worry about it hun, we all are beginners at one point." It tended to annoy Kendall that her father hung his smarts in natural sciences over her head. She was well aware that he knew a great deal about plants and animals but it did not mean that he needed to shove it in her face. "Yeah, dad... I know." He motioned for her to follow. "Come on, I think I saw a bush this way." Kendall followed and tried to push her discontent with her father out of her head. He was just trying to do what was right for her, right?

The black berry bush did in fact look similar to the yueberry bush which made Kendall a but less angry at her father. He picked a berry from the bush and held it up to Kendall. "Blackberries are easy to tell apart from their counterpart the raspberry. Black berries are well, black and large while raspberries are smaller and red. Both are perfectly edible and are good for making teas." He got down on his knees and motioned for Kendall to do the same. He gathered a few sticks and motioned for Kendall to do the same. "Now we have to set them up all pointing upward and leaned together so we can light a fire. I'm going to show you how to make blackberry tea. After you stack the sticks together surround the fire with a ring of stones so the fire does not spread." Kendall nodded in understanding and started to place rocks around the fire pit. Once the two were satisfied with their fire Kendall's father stood up and rummaged through his pockets. "Well I thought I brought some flint and steel. We will have to start a fire a different way." He pulled off his glasses and held them over the sticks. "This only works on a sunny day and of course, you need glasses or a magnifying glass. Hold the lens over the sticks in the sun and hold it there until the wood starts to smoke. Once it starts to smoke blow on it until the fire starts." He held out his glasses and handed them to Kendall. She took them in her hand and held it over the wood. "Dad, it's not…" The wood started to smoke and Kendall let out a little squeal. "Dad! Dad look! I did it!" He walked up next to Kendall and ruffled her hair. "Good job baby. Now lets make some of that tea!"
-Ryan Ross

Kendall Saarinen

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Kendall Saarinen on November 23rd, 2011, 7:47 pm

"Making the tea is actually quite simple although you will need some tools. All one needs to do is to leave the leaves to dry in the sun for a few bells. After that is finished if you have a mortar and pestle you crumble two teaspoons into a cup of boiling water. Seep for five to ten chimes and you are good." Kendall's father started to lay out the leaves in the sun and then showed Kendall a few of the berries in his hand. "Also, you can mash the berries themselves and put them through a sieve. Then you would need to warm the berries for a few chimes and then you put the mixture into boiling water. The amount of berries you put in the tea is all up to your tastes." Kendall smiled and felt her mouth watering. She could not wait to make the tea.

Following the instructions her father laid out, Kendall began to work on making the tea. She laid the leaves out in the sun and then moved to her father's bag to get the mortar and pestle. At first she just started to mash the berries with the pestle. "Kendall, honey, you don't just mash the berries. There is a rhythm to it." She pouted slightly before handing the mortar and pestle back to her father. "Can you show me how then? For the love of Laviku, you might as well just do it for me." Her father took the tools from her and began to mash in circular patterns. "When you crush in a circular fashion it helps to mix everything together."

After he had crushed the berries a bit more, he passed the mixture back to Kendall, urging her to work again. "I'll get the sieve, you keep mashing. Remember, circles." She nodded and went back to working, mashing in circles like she was told to do. A lot of the juice squirted out of the mortar but the girl tried her hardest to keep the berries contained. She had a feeling if the tea was completely left up to her, there would be no tea at all.
-Ryan Ross

Kendall Saarinen

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook