Closed [The Feathered Shaft] Bullseye (Crystal)

Elann meets Crystal as she considers what type of bow to buy.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

[The Feathered Shaft] Bullseye (Crystal)

Postby Elann on January 4th, 2016, 4:08 pm

Timestamp, 39th of Winter, 515AV

It had continued to snow for the past few days, snow piling here and there, yet it had not become a nuisance yet. To Elann, she found she was nearly always cold when outside, but there was one event that she did desire to do outside in the winter, and that was hunt with Noah. She had never experienced the thrill of hunting until a week or so ago and despite all the crazy events that had happened over the last few weeks, she desperately wanted to learn. As the door closed behind her, the rush of wind was pinched off and she held herself across the chest, shivering despite being in full winter clothing.

The store was the Feathered something or other, she couldn't make out the sign before zipping inside and once inside, the warmth of the interior made her feel welcome. Kalvin Wilde, the shop owner was busy unstrapping the string from a bow and rested it on a rack. A subtle smile passed over his lips as he looked Elann over. She seemed frumpy to him, disheveled, and yet pretty underneath it all. In a way she didn't have the rugged countenance that many of his customers had.

"Hi, welcome to the Feathered Shaft, what can I do for you?"

Elann, not sure what to do and feeling utterly lost, looked to the man behind the counter. Her eyes drifted from him to the showroom she stood in with bows, arrows, crossbows, and bolts. Velvet, a material she knew well was provided to gently hold onto the various displayed works of wood and iron. The long drapery of fabric, embroidered in the back caught her eye briefly and she contemplated what material it was made out of, but before the conversation took an awkward turn with her gawking about his store, she spoke up.

"I am looking for...I think something to hunt with. Something more deadly than this."

She held up a small slingshot, Benshiran in design, and while small, it could be deadly. Still, it was not enough for some of the thick furred beasts up in the region of the north she now was in.

Other's Words ~~ My Words ~~ My Thoughts

Last edited by Elann on January 4th, 2016, 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elann
Player

Words: 322359
Joined roleplay: June 24th, 2015, 10:19 pm
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Postby Crystal Nightshade on January 4th, 2016, 5:07 pm

Crystal hurried through the crowds of Syliras. It was starting to get chilly out, the kind of chilly that meant hunting season was coming to an end. In other words, less income for her. Not that she was worried, she had what she needed to survive.

She briefly admired her destination as she walked up to it. The large building was said to be a very nice place. She pushed open the doors and hummed in content at the gush of warm air greeted her face. She smiled and closed the door behind her, almost catching her cloak in the door. She mumbled something under her breath before walking in completely.

She looked around in awe. It was like a hunters paradise. Different Bows and Crossbows littered the walls. There were also some arrows on display, but the only ones she could recognise were the standard and game arrows. Speaking of, she needed to replenish her arrows. She had heard there was a range on the lower floor. As she walked up to the counter, there was already someone there.

A woman. Was she a hunter as well? It didn't look it, but Crystal knew better than to judge someone by their looks. As she got in front of the counter, she noticed the woman showing the man at the counter a beautifully designed slingshot. Crystal felt her quiver. Maybe she could get her Shortbow designed.

She briefly heard the conversation, even though she was not attempting too. From what it sounded like, she wasn't actually a hunter, but perhaps looking to become one? Crystal didn't know, but she decided to help anyway. "Maybe try a Bow."

Crystal tapped the woman's shoulder as she spoke. She then pointed to a Bow rack were a few Shortbows were on display. "I didn't mean to eavesdrop, I just overheard. Beautiful slingshot by the way. Oh! I'm Crystal by the way. You are?"
0/2 Threads
Have time to visit the Gardening skill?
Crystal Nightshade
Intellectual Seeker

Words: 79860
Joined roleplay: August 28th, 2015, 9:10 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Elann on January 4th, 2016, 5:58 pm

The bitter chill of the door opening caused the beautiful near opalescent eyes, glimmering with brilliant blues and greens, to look to see who had come in briefly. The Benshira was in the middle of a transaction though, so the look was just enough to make sure she wasn't in the way of anyone. Kalvin was just about to answer Elann, but having seen Crystal come in, he nodded to her.

"Welcome. Be with you in a moment."

He looked back to the Benshira, entranced by her eyes. He was a shop owner though, and had seen quite a few Benshira come through his shop, so his gaze into them didn't last long. He thought about what type of weapon would be good for a woman as short as her and frail looking. He was about to answer when the newcomer piped up, suggesting Elann try a bow. It was a good day when his customers did his work for him. Given that Crystal was intending to sell her on a bow, he gave a little gesture toward the racks as he headed that way, preparing to pull off any of them they desired to see.

"A bow hmm?"

"It's okay. I can use all the help I can get." She smiled at the compliment of her Benshira slingshot, "Thank you. It was a gift from my father," she laughed a light bit and took in a deep breath as she tucked it back into her clothes.

"My name is Elann, nice to meet you Crystal. Are you an archer?" She had to admit, the bows that Crystal pointed at just looked like strange sticks to her and were slightly unimpressive to her at first. After greeting Crystal, she turned to the bows and slowly approached them. As she drew closer, she could see their unique designs and beautiful varnish. There was so much selection in front of her as they moved that way: shortbows, longbows, crossbows, yumi bows, and many others. She eyed the very long bows and crossbows, knowing that was not for her. She then moved slightly toward the shorter bows that didn't immediately seem as difficult to handle. She looked to see if Crystal was following and turned to face her.

"Aren't bows supposed to have strings on them?" She asked Crystal in a quieted voice, being secretive from Kalvin, curious as to why they were without string. She didn't understand why none of the bows in the store looked like the depictions she had seen or looked like how they were used by her people, failing to know that you don't always keep the string on the bow; only when you were planning on using it soon or when traveling.

Elann
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Donor (1)

Postby Crystal Nightshade on January 4th, 2016, 7:20 pm

Crystal grinned but it faltered as the woman turned to face her. She had very vibrant eyes, ones like Crystal had never seen. She was caught for a bit before she realized she was staring. She looked away as the woman walked past her to the bow lineup. She barely caught the Elann's question. "Not the best, but not the worst either." Crystal replied. While she freely admitted she was a hunter, she also knew she wasn't the best archer.

Crystal chuckled softly. Maybe Elann was new to archery altogether. The brunette was curious to know why the bows had no strings. "Well, usually the only time the string is attached is when one is going to use them. It keeps the string from getting damaged." Crystal explained, following her to the rack.

There were bows even Crystal hadn't seen before. Something labeled 'Yumi' Crystal had never laid eyes on. They were beautiful. On the other hand, she hopped to use the range today, but hopefully she could lend a hand before then.

"Was there anything specific you were looking for?"
0/2 Threads
Crystal Nightshade
Intellectual Seeker

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Elann on January 4th, 2016, 7:53 pm

Elann had grown fairly accustomed to the looks her eyes drew. She had the looks of a tanned human woman, but then the vibrancy of her eyes could shake people, especially those who had never seen a Benshira and weren't expecting it.

"Oh, that's kind of how I am with the slingshot. I don't think it will do much good up here though. Most of the animals I've heard talk of and have seen in the butcher shop have thick hides. My bullets will likely only injure them."

Crystal went about explaining why the bows didn't have strings on them. Hearing why, she realized that the shop owner Kalvin knew what he was doing and it was something intended. With a louder voice now that she knew she wouldn't offend him, she asked Crystal, "So leaving the string on can damage it hmm?"

Kalvin piped up and said, "More the bow than the string. Though Bowstrings can become over stretched if left on. Generally these longbows that have more tension in their pull and length of bend have an issue. You need to remove the string after every use, but the smaller short bows, as long as you are using it about once a week or more you should be fine to leave the string on for a while- at least until it becomes damaged from overuse."

Elann understood most of what he said, though her common was still somewhat rough at times. When people were passionate about what they spoke about, speaking rapidly, she had a hard time translating what they were saying; especially if it was a subject like archery that she knew nothing about. Still, she understood and nodded. Looking to Crystal as she asked what she was looking for, Elann looked at the various shortbows in front of her.

"Something small I think, but deadly. Able to take down the largest of prey...If that's possible."

Most of the shortbows before her could do that, though a long bow could do it at a further range, still she didn't specify. A shortbow had an effective kill range of 40m, able to hit a target stationary at 80m roughly, but a longbow could push that to 180m effective kill range and 400m for a professional stationary shot.

Elann
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Donor (1)

Postby Crystal Nightshade on January 4th, 2016, 9:49 pm

Well, that was one thing Crystal never knew. She didn't know much about Longbows, so she absorbed the information. She studied the features of the bows. She had limited knowledge, even as a hunter, about bows. As much as she would love to be an expert, she wasn't. She didn't dwell on this however as Elann more or less specified her preference.

The ebony pondered this for a bit. Small but deadly could describe any Shortbow. Perhaps even a crossbow. Crystal was sure that the woman had a reason, but maybe so testing might help. She couldn't be sure, but she'd test the theory. "Maybe something like my Shortbow then?"

Crystal drew the bow from her quiver. It was small but with a small swirling design carved in to it. The string was attached and it looked worn, but nothing a little repair couldn't hand. She held the Shortbow in both hands, and held it out for Elann. "If you'd like, you could try this out? Without arrows of course." She looked at the store owner when she said the last bit. She didn't want to destroy anything in his shop.

At this point Kalvin looked upon her bow, a bit impressed and disappointed by the condition of it. He could tell it had been used, but he could say for sure it had been used with care. It was a pleasant sight. The designs on it were carefully made as well. "Where did you get that bow?"

Crystal smiled proudly. "From my father. He was also a hunter. Speaking of," she began before turning to Elann again. "Is there a reason your looking for a weapon?"
0/2 Threads
Crystal Nightshade
Intellectual Seeker

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Elann on January 4th, 2016, 11:24 pm

Elann perked up as Crystal suggested her own bow as a sample. Crystal was younger than her, slightly taller, and a bit more muscular, but all in all, not too vastly different. If Elann put in the work, she could likely become like her in due time. Imagining hunting with Noah was something that made her feel needed, welcomed, and something she could share with him. Looking over the bow as she unequipped it, she admired the design on it, holding out her hands to accept it.

The wood was lighter than she imagined at first. She held it in both of her hands, just admiring it. When Crystal asked if she wanted to try it out, Elann nodded.

"Yes, that sounds good," she said with her Benshira accent, creeping into her common. Her hand drew up to the handle and her whole hand grabbed the string, which was incorrect. She had to hold where the arrow would go with two fingers. Slowly she tested the string, feeling it bounce in her hands and then raised the bow as Kalvin and Crystal spoke.

It was clear the bow in her hands was a nice one, given the reaction of Kalvin, so she tried to remember it and possible thought to buy one like it. As she pulled back on the string, her muscles screamed at her. While her biceps didn't really have much in the way of muscle on them, her fingers did not budge. Elann was a weaver, and while weavers were not strong, they had very strong hands.

A squeal emitted from her as she tried to pull it back, finally by her own stubbornness drawing it completely back and then let the string go. It slapped on her inner arm, leaving a fresh red mark, which she voiced an "ouch" and then lowered the bow. As she did, Crystal turned to ask her why she was wanting a bow.

"I want to go hunting with someone. I am not a strong fighter, so I'd rather have something I could use at a distance. Something like a bow."

"Your father taught you how to hunt?" She asked, curious now if this woman had some hunting tips for her.

Elann
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Donor (1)

Postby Crystal Nightshade on January 5th, 2016, 11:19 pm

The accent in Elann's tone wasn't completely lost on Crystal. She wondered where the woman was from.. Ah, but now wasn't the time to dwell. She heard her bowstring smack against something, but assumed Elann was simply testing it. The ebony nodded to Elann in understanding. The woman was searching for a weapon because she wants to hunt with someone. Very briefly Crystal wondered who, but decided it was none of her business. All she knew was Elann sounded determined.

Crystal visibly stiffened. It had been a long time since she had spoken about her parents. She was still a bit shaken. She frowned at the thought, wondering if she'd ever get over it. Or perhaps she wasn't meant to? It was a traumatic experience for her after all. Snapping out of her thoughts she realized she'd let a long pause go by.

"Oh! I apologize," she stated, flustered and annoyed by her own behavior. "Yes, my father taught me everything. He was my role model.. Everything I know is thanks to him. Perhaps I could teach you a few things?" She suggested, hoping for a change in topic. Hopefully she hadn't shown her discomfort.

"Also, can I ask where you're from? I've never heard an accent quite like your own.."
0/2 Threads
Crystal Nightshade
Intellectual Seeker

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Elann on January 6th, 2016, 12:33 am

For a brief moment as Crystal dazed off in thought, Elann felt like she was talking to a brick wall, about to refocus back onto the bows. Obviously Crystal had a lot on her mind and there was something she had said in there that triggered the thoughts. Even as she considered what must be plaguing her mind, she thought of her own father, wondering if it had to do something with that?

She snapped to and apologized, making Elann laugh kindly as though it were no big deal. "It is fine...I do that sometimes too," she said softly and listened as she explained how her father had taught her everything. Elann still rubbed her arm from the sting as she handed the bow back to Crystal with a steady hand.

"I would absolutely love that! Really-- Anything you can teach me will be..." she took in a stressed breath, "...very handy."

It was clear Elann was out of her element in the store, with hunting, and perhaps even with Syliras. She seemed pleasant enough though, so as Crystal asked her where she was from, Elann took in a breath, looking down a bit.

"I am from the tents of Shlomet." She looked back up and said, "I am Benshira, from the region of Eyktol. I lived not far from the city of Yahebah in the deserts of the Benshira people. We speak a language called, Shiber." She smiled weakly, perhaps a little shy on the topic, and changed it herself.

"So do you think I should buy a shortbow and some arrows?"

Elann
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Donor (1)

Postby Crystal Nightshade on January 6th, 2016, 10:18 pm

Crystal accepted her bow back and added it to her empty quiver. She didn't have a bow case, so that was always her location for it if it wasn't in her hands. Elann spoke again.

Benshira? Yaheba? Crystal scrunched her face, brows knitted. Such foreign words, yet they left her wanting more. However, she couldn't tell wether or not Elann would be comfortable with questions seeing her... shyness? Or was it discomfort? Crystal couldn't tell. Though, she did want to know more about the language, Shiber as the woman called it. Maybe she could even learn it? Crystal nodded afterwards, focusing back on Elann as she spoke again.

"Well, I don't want to force you..." She said shyly, scratching the back of her neck. Then again she might be actually helping. "Though, it's best to try it out before you buy.. I can at least vouch for their effectiveness in the right hands. Perhaps if you decided to buy we could try it in the range that's supposedly downstairs..?"

As she said this she turned to Kalvin. Perhaps she could pay for them both? Just a few bells wouldn't hurt her wallet.. Turning back to Elann she spoke hesitantly. "If you do decided to buy, I could pay for us in the range for a few bells. If you don't mind of course. Also," she started, turning once again Kalvin. "I'll need some gloves, Archer's." Calvin went off and came back within a few ticks carrying the gloves. She played the gold miza and thanked him before taking the gloves.

While it was Elann's choice wether or not to buy, she could still detach her even without the woman buying her own. It would be rude to just act smart and not cover it with her actions.

note-1 gm for gloves.
0/2 Threads
Crystal Nightshade
Intellectual Seeker

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes