Gardening Interest?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is the first step to starting a lore article. Please hold all conversations about lores here in this forum. No development takes place here ie Article posting. This forum is simply for threads that want to hash out what a lore should or shouldn't include as well as its merits and flaws. One can also gauge interest in new lore here as well. Polls are encouraged.

Moderator: Scribes

Gardening Interest?

Postby Crystal Nightshade on October 8th, 2015, 2:38 pm

Hello everyone! Recently I've been shuffling through the skills list, and I've noticed a few stubs I have interest in are incomplete. The one in particular that I'm looking at is the Gardening skill. I was wondering if anyone is interested in seeing it complete besides myself? I'm currently looking into it, but I would first like to know if anyone wants it done. :)
0/2 Threads
Have time to visit the Gardening skill?
Crystal Nightshade
Intellectual Seeker

Words: 79860
Joined roleplay: August 28th, 2015, 9:10 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Gardening Interest?

Postby Revali on October 8th, 2015, 3:06 pm

My current obstacle to teaching Revali gardening is my own RL lack of knowledge. So, a skill write-up might allow me to begin that.

Although I can't offer any insight on facts and things in the initial construction of the skill, I can definitely offer a peer review once it's finished. :)
6/8 Active Threads
Have some time? Come leave a peer review
Revali
'Fraidy 'Kat

Words: 45187
Joined roleplay: August 9th, 2015, 3:34 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Gardening Interest?

Postby Crystal Nightshade on October 8th, 2015, 3:18 pm

Much obliged Revali. I have have a bit of experience with gardening, as we have a vegetable and a flower garden in our backyard. Though I have a feeling my knowledge will not be enough for a sufficient amount of information. I have a basic outline, but I'd like a bit more interest before I show it off.

Is there anything specific that you want to see in the article? And any suggestions would be much appreciated from everyone.

EDIT: If anyone has any extra information about places in Mizahar that have very large amounts of Gardening or Plant cultivation, it would be awesome if you could link me to their information. I currently have Riverfall. But I want to be sure there's nowhere else.
0/2 Threads
Crystal Nightshade
Intellectual Seeker

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Gardening Interest?

Postby Yosen Dower on October 9th, 2015, 2:08 am

I'd love to see a lore article on gardening! I was just about to post asking about interest in farming/agriculture articles as that's a passion of mine and a central interest for my character.
As far as specific stuff I'd want to see...some basic understanding of soil/fertility would be useful, especially for veggie gardens. Maybe emphasize that it's generally on a much smaller scale than farming to prevent confusion between the two, even though they are pretty similar. With a flower garden, throw something in about arranging/making it look pretty? I'd certainly be interested in seeing what you have so far.
Yosen Dower
Sorry, no time, crops to grow

Words: 8752
Joined roleplay: September 30th, 2015, 8:34 pm
Character sheet

Gardening Interest?

Postby Alyona on October 9th, 2015, 4:18 am

Considering that's what my character's skills will be in, I'm also very interested in the write-up. I'm not very skilled in RL gardening, but I'm willing to help with the article. I know I'm not a veteran here or anything, but any way I can help, I'm willing to put myself out there.
RP'ed by Tentative
Alyona
Player

Words: 11219
Joined roleplay: October 8th, 2015, 7:23 pm
Character sheet

Gardening Interest?

Postby Crystal Nightshade on October 10th, 2015, 1:07 pm

Alrighty, thank you for showing interest everyone! I'll be working in more things to the outline today, so please feel free to keep making suggestions. :) I'll post the outline when I'm done.

EDIT: And here's a basic outline. Feel free to make suggestions as stated above. :D

Prerequisites/Related Skills
Farming
Botany
Herbalism

Types of Gardening
Aesthetic Gardening
Flower Arrangement
Leisure Gardening
Form of Exercise
Herb & Ingredient Gardening

Gardening Tools and Uses
Hoe
Shovel
Rake
Waterskin

Gardening Know-How
Soil Fertility
Plant Climate

General Upkeep
Planting
Watering
Weeding

Learning To Garden
Self Teaching
Being Taught
Books

Skill Progression
Novice
Competent
Expert
Master
0/2 Threads
Crystal Nightshade
Intellectual Seeker

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Gardening Interest?

Postby Alyona on October 10th, 2015, 3:05 pm

Okay, so this is gonna be a bit long-winded, sorry about that.

Do you think the Poison skill could also be related in some way? Like, some of those poisons can be grown. The loveliest flowers are often the deadliest.

I also think that topiaries could be considered a form of gardening, or at least part of the aesthetic gardening. Though aesthetic gardening will vary widely from city to city, or at the very least from domain to domain. Though if we desire to broaden aesthetic gardening to include discussion about the domains'/cities' ideas of aesthetics, then that would be pretty cool. Should orchards be included in gardening as well, or should that be a strictly farming thing?

For tools, some pruning tools like saws and shears would be a good addition, as well as a trowel. The spade is also nifty, and pretty different from the shovel. Also, garden forks. Do we want to include grass shears in Mizahar? They're more an invention given to us thanks to industrial metalworking, but I think we could include it thanks to cold steel being so durable.

For gardening know-how, we should include a bit about watering, as that will vary greatly with what plants you're growing. Pruning should also be included. Even if we aren't including trees with the gardening skill, pruning plants can be helpful to them.

Um, so yeah. That's my contribution for right now. I'll look the skill over again, see what else I want to speak up about. Thanks for getting this conversation started!
RP'ed by Tentative
Alyona
Player

Character sheet

Gardening Interest?

Postby Crystal Nightshade on October 10th, 2015, 3:44 pm

I'm not particularly sure about adding poison. The reason being gardening is all about planting, I would assume that poisonous plants still count. I don't know if that makes sense, but any input on that would be appreciated. :)

Yes, I do believe a topiary would be considered aesthetic gardening, I'll add a section about it below aesthetic. I think Orchards would be strictly farming though.

I'll add the extra tools, thanks. The tools I added were what I found while skimming the price list. I'll go back and see if they have the extra tools as well.

Pruning will be added, but I added watering to upkeep. Should that be moved?
0/2 Threads
Crystal Nightshade
Intellectual Seeker

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Gardening Interest?

Postby Alyona on October 10th, 2015, 5:25 pm

Well, now that I'm thinking about it, what I was thinking for the water seems to be more in line with botany than gardening. Like, knowing that plants need water not only for energy but also as a way to cool off isn't really necessary to grow them. So now I'm thinking the water is fine where it is.

As for the poison, I think that we would only have to say that they're related and not have to worry about much more than that. Or would botany help you know whether the flower your planting is poisonous? If that's the case, then yeah, attaching the poison skill would be a bit much.
RP'ed by Tentative
Alyona
Player

Character sheet

Gardening Interest?

Postby Crystal Nightshade on October 10th, 2015, 5:28 pm

Oh okay, and as for poison, I agree that botany would cover that. (I didn't think about it at first.)
0/2 Threads
Crystal Nightshade
Intellectual Seeker

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Next