Flashback The Death of a Good Man

Desmond attempts to get revenge during the fallout of the Day of Discord.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

The Death of a Good Man

Postby Desmond Adan on January 7th, 2016, 2:59 am

6th of Summer, 511 A.V.----

Hate is an odd emotion. For most people, it was a heated experience, filled with white hot fury which burned and boiled underneath the skin. For most people, it scorched the soul, screaming for release and lashing out at the slightest provocation. For most people, hate was a fire unquenchable: an inferno which consumed all thought, all reason, and all sense as it burned through it host with reckless abandon.

Fortunately, Desmond Adan was not like most people.

The flame which roared within him was an icy hatred, one far and removed from the scathing heat which consumed the normal man. Desmond’s hate was of another kind, a colder kind, though one no less potent than the regular fare. The youth’s rage ignited from deeper place, beyond the frailty of his mortal body and human mind; both of which were weak from the hunger and exhaustion seeped deep into his bones. No, the tinder for this freezing flame sprouted from his spirit, from the memory of seeing the charred and scorched faces of his loved ones frozen in anguish as the flames consumed their home.

However, it wasn’t the flames that Desmond had grown to despise in such a short time. It wasn’t even the men who set the fire. Desmond hated the man who orchestrated the attack, the head of the serpent as it were. The man who planned not only his downfall, but also the death of everything he had worked to achieve and everyone he had ever dared to love. This was the man Desmond reserved his hate for, and the man he strove to find before the decease of the day.

Only four days had passed since the death of his family and Danni, and Desmond realized that his time was already short. The pandemonium which had ensued from the Day of Discord, as citizens were now calling it, was being put down quickly and with prejudice. The Lhavit he had grown up was changing and changing fast, and the old ways of doing things, namely the illegal and immoral way of doing things, were now being declared defunct. Even as he leaned idly against an alley wall, Desmond could spot arrests erupting in the streets; lawfulness finally returning to a corrupt and bereaved city. A small part of the youth realized that this was probably best for Lhavit and its people, but a louder voice shouted that the return of the Shinya would only obstruct his current goal, as the acts he was planning on committing were decidedly less than lawful. And with the guards’ interference, they would also become impossible.

Desmond rose a trembling hand to his forehead, trying to soothe his worries. The last few days had been the most trying of the aspiring herbalist’s life, and the natural calm of his personality had been near shattered from the stress of it all. Four days of constant running and hiding. Four days of barely controlled rage. Four days of fear he hadn’t felt since his family had first entered poverty. It had all taken a heavy toll on the youth, the weight of his misfortune near crushing him in its cruel embrace, and under normal circumstances, Desmond had no doubt he would have crumbled under the unrelenting pressure. The only reason he kept moving, the only reason he did not let his walls fracture and break down sobbing in grief, proved the brief window he had to enact his revenge.

A single, heavy sigh signaled the return of Desmond’s control, and the brief sorrow that had misted across his eyes was replaced by a cold resolve. Any trace of vulnerability, of weakness, of natural, common goodness that peered through the cracks in his steely mask was smothered in layer of detachment. Grieving could come later, as because now, Desmond had a mission to accomplish. And nothing, neither god nor man, would stop him.
Desmond Adan
A better class of criminal

Words: 17169
Joined roleplay: August 26th, 2015, 3:08 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

The Death of a Good Man

Postby Desmond Adan on January 7th, 2016, 7:17 pm

----
The youth drifted into the wave of bustling bodies like a boat upon a wave, floating numbly along the sea of faces but always with a pointed direction and destination. Desmond supposed it was ironic that, despite all of the recent radical changes in leadership, law, and policy, one could still time the unavoidable gridlock that ensued chimes before dusk rest in the Zintia district. Through reigns and revolutions, oligarchs and anarchy, it seemed the rush to rest trumped them all. The absolute absurdity of it all almost made the herbalist’s face split with a humorless smile. Almost.

Finding sharp relief as he drew closer and closer to the domain which housed his immediate objective, Desmond slowly peeled away from the din and squalor of those unwashed masses. His steps came slow and deliberate, every movement measured and accounted for. He found his pulse quacking and his iron-clad hold on his emotions slipping, the much vaunted control fraying as every step drew him closer to the source of his hate. It seemed to take an eternity to climb those steps leading to the front door, and with every second that dripped by, doubts began to slip through chinks in his mental fortress.

What if he’s not home? What if my sources are wrong? What if he skipped town?

“No, I know him. He’s here,” Desmond muttered decidedly to no one in particular, quieting the unknowns which gnawed at the back of his mind. His hand steady and his mind razored, Desmond knocked on the door in four, steady beats. From within the house, there was the sure sound of movement as someone approached from inside approached the door. The solid oak creaked ajar slowly at first, and then with more assurance. Standing in full view of Desmond was a man of short build and waifish proportions, but with cruel, rat-like eyes which darted from place to place in nervous recognition. His long brown hair was in a tangled mess, and judging from the smell, Desmond severely doubted he had visited the bath house within the last week. Maybe even a month. His name was Erik Frese, and he had known a hard life. And from the way his eyes sprang wide with surprise at seeing the hard lines of Desmond’s face, it was about to get worse.

“Hello Erik, it’s been awhile hasn’t it?” Desmond inquired with false curiosity, the chill in his voice enough to give the man before him brief pause. The youth stepped forward without pretense or invitation, sending Erik stumbling backward from the sudden movement. Pausing only to close the door behind him, Desmond walked with casual grace towards Erik, kneeling down to speak to the obviously frightened man. “We have much to discuss.”

“I didn’t-” Erik began before Desmond’s right hand clamped tight over the coward’s mouth, tensing his left wrist to shoot forward a glistening steel blade pointed at Erik’s throat.

“Quiet, and swallow,” Desmond commanded with an eerie calm, inching the blade which sprung from his vambrace closer and closer to the pale, patchy skin of Erik’s neck. In no position to bargain, Erik complied with ease, swallowing the pill dropped into his mouth by Desmond’s right hand.

“Good, now sleep,” the herbalist ordered before driving the blade deep into meat of Erik’s chest.
Desmond Adan

Character sheet

The Death of a Good Man

Postby Desmond Adan on January 7th, 2016, 10:05 pm

----
It would be two hours before Erik awoke, bandaged and bound to one of his own chairs with a gag in his mouth. A look of wild panic and confusion splayed plainly across his pinched face, his narrow eyes tore across his home. Nothing seemed out of place, in fact, the room seemed slightly cleaner than before; the clutter left in the wake of his absentmindedness now gone from the floor and tables. Erik began to struggle violently against his bonds, stopping in a still terror when a pale white hand lay itself gently on his shoulder.

“Hope you don’t mind if I picked up a bit, your place was filthy. Oh, it was Blue Whinnis on the blade, if you’re wondering. One of the few things besides myself to survive the fire.” Desmond explained in a throw-away-style, as if the stabbing and poisoning Erik had just undergone was something of average interest, like the weather or daily bread prices. “You swallowed the only other drug which I managed to scrounge from the ashes. Do you want to know what it was?” he asked with a smile in his voice, his face still remaining passive and cool.

Erik responded with vigorous nod as Desmond crossed to meet him face to face, his icy blue eyes burning with cruelty as they met Erik’s bloodshot orbs. “Well, what a coincidence. I want to know some things too. How about this? You tell me what I want to know, and I’ll tell you what you swallowed, and how to get rid of it. Sound fair?”

Nodding in response once again, fear once again began to swarm Erik’s eyes as Desmond moved to remove the gag. Inches away from his face and busied with removing the dirty rag in Erik’s mouth, Desmond spoke the next few words with cold confidence, not as a threat, but as a horrid promise.

“Oh, if you even think about screaming, I’ll slit your throat. Then I’ll find your sister, and see if she knows anything about the fire. Clear?”

“Crystal,” Erik croaked in response, his mouth unnaturally dry. Desmond noticed that he began to move is mouth around, as if testing its capabilities. The youth almost smirked at that. He had rarely gotten his hands dirty in his line of work, that was more of Danni’s forte. Wouldn’t she be proud of him?

Placing his hands hard on Erik’s bound wrists, Desmond assumed a dominating position. His eyes searing deep with scrutiny, the herbalist almost growled out his question. “Who did you tell about my lab Erik?”

“I-I didn’t tell anyone, I swear!” Sighing with disappointment, Desmond took a step back from smaller man’s struggling form.

“Wrong answer,” he muttered before slamming his foot squarely into Erik’s chest, sending him and his chair tumbling across the floor. Desmond’s prisoner began to squirm and shift, a feeble attempt at either getting away from his relentless captor or loosening his bonds. Perhaps both. Either way, there was no escaping Desmond now: the youth’s slow, calculated walk up to the now prone Erik sending the man into fearful sweats.

“Erik, you are the only living person who knows the location of my lab. That was a well-kept secret, one I trusted you to keep after you left my employ as my assistant. Because you were my friend Erik. Because even after you got addicted, I still had faith in you. Perhaps foolishly, but all the same, I trusted you. Erik, there is no one else who could have told whoever orchestrated that attack where I kept the things most precious to me. My lab. My family. My love. All gone, because you couldn’t keep your mouth shut.”

Desmond let himself drop to Erik’s level, lips hovering over his ear. “All I want to know, is who. Did. You. Tell?” he asked in a whisper, his tone slowly revealing his hidden rage.

“I n-n-never g-got his name, a-alright? Gods above, w-hat did you g-give me?” Erik replied as his body began to shake violently and of its own accord. Desmond’s eyes scanned Erik’s now quivering body for signs and symptoms of the drug he gave him. He had to act fast, to get him to give a coherent description before Erik was lost to the paranoia which was ensuing.

“Just something I threw together,” Desmond smiled fiendishly at Erik, freezing the little man still as the corners of the herbalist’s mouth curled upward. As Erik, and many of the people Desmond worked with, knew, the youth only smiled for two reasons. One, because Danni made him through some witty remark, or two, because something was about to go his way. And in Erik’s position, it was not a good thing if something was going Desmond Adan’s way. “I can help you, but only if you help me Erik. Help me, help you.”

“He was t-tall, r-red hair. Pale skin. I-Inarta maybe? I t-think, I think he had a t-tattoo on his hand. He d-did. Lines, d-deep red lines all u-up his hand,” Erik sputtered out, panic obvious in his voice. His hands began to shake as shadows seemed to loom and leer from all corners of the room. The feeble man writhed in his chair, fear turned to terror as the world around Erik warped into something more. “W-what d-did y-you g-g-give m-m-m-me?”

Desmond didn’t answer Erik’s now pitiful whimpers, choosing instead to stride slowly to the nearest light source. With methodical pace and precision, the youth extinguished the few candles which fought valiantly against the encroaching darkness. An enveloping blackness soon overcame the one-room apartment which Erik called home, the last flame flicking dimly in Desmond’s hand. The house was filled with an almost deafening silence, broken only by the sharp clicks of Desmond’s boots against the tile and the occasional choking sob Erik.

“Erik, you shouldn’t be asking what I gave you,” Desmond explained with an almost disappointed tone, as if his failed assistant had forgotten the answer to a rudimentary question. His face framed in flame, the herbalist set down his candle for a moment in order to pick up the fallen form of Erik, still bound to that chair. Grabbing the candle once more, Desmond let the light of the fire wash over the pair as he cut Erik loos from his bonds. Erik was still seated, either from shock or from fear Desmond could not tell, but regardless, he held the flickering flame between the two of them as he closed the distance between their faces.

“What you should be asking is, what am I going to do with you now?”
Desmond Adan

Character sheet

The Death of a Good Man

Postby Desmond Adan on January 8th, 2016, 3:05 am

----
A cold, remorseless smile slashed across Desmond’s face as he blew out the candle's flame, washing the pair in darkness. Desmond would be lying if he didn’t say he got some sick satisfaction from Erik’s resulting yelp of terror. The waifish man fell backwards out of fear, and the sound of screams was soon mixed with the haunting echoes of Desmond’s laughter. It bounced across the walls, filling the room an odd dissonance as two sinister sounds competed for supremacy. The sharp cry of Erik’s shrieks were soon silenced as Desmond’s hand clamped down hard onto the man’s thin, stringy neck.

“Something the matter Erik? Scared of the dark?” Desmond roared at his former assistant. He could only imagine what the man was feeling as the Warp he fed Erik burrowed deeper and deeper into the traitor’s system. Desmond imagined it was terrifying, horrific even. The thought brought him comfort, and almost made the youth forget the ever-present pain of loss which throbbed at his heart. Even though Erik was not the man who orchestrated the attack against his loved ones, he still had a large part in their demise. Whatever agony he could cause Erik, whatever fear he was capable of searing into his psychosis, it would all serve to make his revenge all the sweeter.

The feeling was short-lived though, as Erik’s struggles became weaker and weaker. The combined efforts of his strangulation and the paranoia resulting from the Warp seemed too much for the feeble man to handle, and Erik was intent on slipping into the realms of unconsciousness. Sighing with discontent, Desmond released his vice-grip on the smaller man’s neck before Erik could vanish from the realm of the waking.

“That was for my family, you unwashed piece of shyke,” the herbalist breathed out slowly, rage and hate making his tone primal. Raising his left hand, the death-song of steel rang loud in the air as Desmond’s spring-blade popped out of his vambrace.

“But this, this is for Danni,” Desmond growled before sinking his blade deep into the meat of Erik’s throat, grinning coldly as he watch the life slip from his former assistant’s eyes. The picture of terror plastered to Erik’s face was stained scarlet as a halo of blood pooled around the small man’s rat-like head. Desmond looked down at what his actions had wrought, and seeing the fear immortalized upon Erik’s face, he honestly couldn’t be more satisfied.

Blood, still fresh and warm, dripped from his hand in a steady rhythm as Desmond rose to reset Erik’s chair, placing himself in the man’s seat mere moments after his death. The youth’s body was still alight with adrenaline, and it took him several moments to calm himself. The rage and hate left his body slowly, taking with it his energy. He felt fatigued, tired, and the weight of the last few days finally hit him. Everything that had happened, all the running and hiding, gnawing hunger which bit at his stomach, the loss of his family to those hateful flames, the weight of it all crashed down upon Desmond.

But Desmond couldn't afford to slow down. Not now. Erik's screams had no doubt drawn some sort attention to the herbalist's activities, and if he wanted even a chance of getting away, Desmond had to move now. His limbs shaking from the effort, the youth rose out of the dead man's seat and moved to exit out of the back door. His breaths were heavy, and his blood stained hands trailed off the walls Desmond used for support. Crashing against the door, his hands scrambled for the handle. The door swung open, and before the youth left that death-filled house, Desmond afforded one last look at the man he had slain. Once, he might have felt pity for the sad sight which met his eyes, but now, now Desmond had only felt hollow.

Perhaps Erik was not the only thing that died in that room tonight, Desmond thought idly to himself, before turning his now icy gaze outwards into the crystalline chaos that was Lhavit.
Desmond Adan

Character sheet

The Death of a Good Man

Postby Brandon Blackwing on March 4th, 2016, 3:39 pm

DESMOND ADAN

XP:

• Observation +4
  • Intimidation +3
  • Weapon: Wristblade: +2
  • Rhetoric +3
  • Subterfuge +1
  • Socialization +2
  • Unarmed Combat +1
  • Negotiation +1
  • Torture +2
  • Philosophy +1

Lore:
  • Lhavit History: The Day Of Discord
  • Using a drug as leverage during negotiations
  • Torture: Using drugs to mentally torture a victim
  • Wristblade: good for surprising foes
  • Wristblade: stabbing
  • The taste of Revenge

Notes:
Please list your blade spring bracer in your possessions, as I had to go through your ledger to find it. Speaking of, please remember to subtract your season expenses for Winter 515AV from your ledger as well. If I am not mistaken, any season where your PC was active -meaning you have IC posts- you have to pay living expenses, even if those threads were flashbacks.
Living Expenses lore wrote:You DON'T have to pay for living expenses in seasons you have ZERO threads in/inactive.

Otherwise, great thread! I enjoyed every line of it. I hope to see more of you in the near future. :)

Please remove or edit your post in the request thread.
Also please track your newly awarded xp and lores in your CS so both staff and graders alike can keep on grading your threads :)
If you have any questions, comments or concerns regarding your grade, please do not hesitate to send me a PM.

credit goes to Adelaide Sitai
Fighting Style and Techniques

Credit for this awesome sig goes to Estrellir Konrath
Brandon Blackwing
The master thief Incognito

Words: 1496963
Joined roleplay: September 8th, 2013, 3:24 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)