Flashback [The Patchwork Port] Stranger on the Tide (Levi Remilian)

The Mischief arrives in Alvadas.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Considered one of the most mysterious cities in Mizahar, Alvadas is called The City of Illusions. It is the home of Ionu and the notorious Inverted. This city sits on one of the main crossroads through The Region of Kalea.

[The Patchwork Port] Stranger on the Tide (Levi Remilian)

Postby Karin on January 15th, 2016, 2:16 pm

47th Fall, 514 AV

Today was an interesting day. The news was that the Mischief would be pulling into the Port today, and with that came travellers, performances and the boat itself, which was always a marvel, whichever way you looked at it.

Karin had let herself of the house in the early morning and since then had been loitering throughout the city, but always slowly making her way down to the docks. The city itself hadn't held much interest today, so it wasn't surprising that she found herself at the port much earlier than she anticipated.

Unfortunately, as she wanted to see the boat, she couldn't exactly leave the port, meaning she couldn't go for a swim, or indeed go to the beach as was her custom. Instead, she spent the time waiting, watching people as she sat besides a fishmonger who had kindly shared his seat with her.

It seemed that a crowd was gathering, and soon she saw the reason why. The majestic boat was sailing into the harbour, pennants fluttering in the breeze and sails elegantly folding like swan's wings.

For a bell or perhaps more, the girl wandered closer and joined the swelling crowds. The portside was a mass of excitement, with fetes temporarily set up selling all kinds of jewels from distant shores, and performers winding their way through the people, juggling, dancing, carving mischief and trickery from the air, in true Alvad style.

Karin was enjoying it, but it was all a bit overwhelming. She wasn't entirely used to crowds, and this was a big one. Instead, she retreated a little, scanning the bustling, chatting people, with seabirds wheeling overhead and shouts and screams of amusement from children through to adults of all races at the festivities.

10/7/17- All my threads are marked [open] and as such are open to all. :)
Karin
Ocean gazing

Words: 384298
Joined roleplay: July 7th, 2015, 10:05 am
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Levi Remilian on January 15th, 2016, 5:49 pm

47th of Fall, 514 AV

When one thinks 'ocean travel', one usually thinks of a busy and loud ship atop a hopefully serene. It should have been a mundane experience. The Mischeif however was as far as a ship could get from the realm of the ordinary. Everyday there was more to see on the ever-changing vessel with the sounds and bustle of practicing performers. This fascinating trip was soon to end for a certain spiritist and his ghost; soon they will set foot upon the home of this fantastical ship.

Levi stood by the starboard side of the ship, eyes gazing at the port that was quickly approaching. Alvadas... city of illusions. It was a city he only heard of in stories, a place of both great wonder and mystery. He glanced up at the ship's sail, today it was a giant set of swan wings, the ship itself a similar white and even feathery along the hull. To think this was all an illusion. It fascinated Levi, but at the same time it frightened him. To the unknowing these illusions are reality.They must be controlled by certain people with a strange magic. Could these illusions turn deadly? Hopefully he would never see such.

A bell or so passed by and the Mischeif docked. The dockhands and crewmembers rushed about busil with a flair and performing zest to the crowd that had begun gathering on the dock. Levi watched with surprise at the festivities he walked into upon disembarking, looking about at all the venders selling their wares and performers practically everywhere.

Levi made his way through the crowd and the ghost Naya floated next to him with an expression of awe, or at least he could tell from the excited chatter she had been spouting since disembarking. "There's so many people performing, I love this place!" The spiritist chuckled at her and kept walking. With a little push and apologies the pair came out of the bustling crowd. Levi stood away from the noisy masses, eyes scanning the crowd and the wildly different variety of buildings in the portside. "This isn't Alvadas itself Naya, remember what the sailors were telling us on the Mischeif. First we need a place to stay."

Naya quickly materialized and complained to Levi. "Eh?! But the performers brother! I want to stay and see them all!"

Sighing a little, Levi replied. "We can come back later once we get ourselves settled. Deal?" The ghost continued to pout for a few ticks before she relented, uncrossed her arms and nodded. The spiritist smiled faintly at the ghost, "Now where to go though... He trailed off when he saw a young woman standing nearby, outside the crowd like they were. He approached her, Naya gliding right by his side. She appeared to be maybe a few years younger than himself, lightly tanned and freckled with long blonde hair braided.

Naya looked up at the older girl and cheerfully smiled at her while Levi asked politely, "Excuse me, but could you show us where the lodging of this city is? We had just arrived and it would be very appreciated if you could help."
ImageImageImage
Levi Remilian
Spiritist of Dira

Words: 154985
Joined roleplay: July 7th, 2013, 12:23 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Karin on January 16th, 2016, 11:42 am

There was plenty to see, as the Mischief travelled to far distant shores and brought forth many wares and people. To the girl's utter surprise, one of those people now approached her at her vantage point. Or rather, two of those people.

Because next to the long, dark-haired man was the shadow of a girl, young and pale. Her first thought, obviously, was that he was an illusionist and this girl was his illusion. Although why he would choose to create such a non-colourful illusion at a festival was beyond her understanding.

But her thoughts were interrupted by the man's polite question, which she in response simply blinked to. "Uh... yes, of course!" Her reply was short and her voice quiet, but she cleared her throat and smiled a little, first at the man and then at the young girl..- illusion?

In reality, much like Naya, she wanted to stay and watch the festivities. But a place to stay couldn't be found here, so reluctantly the girl waved her hand for the man to follow, saying, "This way."

They were soon away from the bright colours and the noises of the crowds, making their way up the short street to the Gaping Maw, which stood ahead surely looking imposing to the newcomers. "Have you been here before? Don't be put off by the Maw, it won't bite."

She idly wondered about the girl, wondering what she was. Now that she thought about it, it definitely seemed an odd illusion, and so she wondering if she could perhaps be a ghost, something she'd only ever heard stories about.

They reached the Maw and Karin gestured for the two to go first, smiling encouragingly. The Maw's eyes were watching the proceedings and the girl waited patiently below, a question waiting on her lips for when they got inside Alvadas.

Karin
Ocean gazing

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Levi Remilian on January 16th, 2016, 6:11 pm

It was a relief to see that the girl was willing to guide them. It was a good start. Levi obligingly smiled back a little and with a nod he followed after his new guide. He noticed her gaze fall upon Naya earlier but was a little surprised at her lack of a visible reaction. Was she used to ghosts? He shrugged to himself; no reaction was better than a bad reaction.

The vibrant air of the festivities ceased as they came to a street where, to the spiritist and ghost's astonishment, a giant stone face stared at them from the end of the street. Levi stepped to the right a little, Naya gliding next to him, and his eyes widened for a moment when he saw the stone face's eyes follow him. The girl's question only registered in his attention several ticks later when he turned to look at her, "Ah! Sorry... as you can tell, this is our first time in Alvadas, this is all very new to us," He cleared his throat and continued, "The Maw? So that face is the gate?"

"I think it's really neat!" A young girl's voice echoed and the spirit floated up until her head was at the same height as Levi's, "It's gotta be magic, right?" She turned her ethereal visage toward Karin, aiming her question at the guide.

Coming closer to the Maw, Levi nodded to Karin and walked forward with Naya, gaze locked on the stone face's own gaze. Then it spoke.

“You have come in search of the City of Illusion. Tell me, stranger, why are you here?”

Startled, Levi jumped back a step, hand halfway to his longsword. Thankfully he stopped himself, straightening himself up and loosening his sudden tension. The ghost stayed still, a quiet sound of awe echoing. Levi calmly replied, "To see the wonders of his city, and to help any weary souls we may encounter during our stay."

The giant stone face continued to look at the two newcomers with it's never erring stare for a few ticks. Levi stood there looking up at it. Was the stone face considering his answer? As if in reply to his musing the stone face opened its mouth and through it the pair could see the city within the walls. Levi now knew why Karin referred to the place as 'the Maw'. He turned around to look at Karin, raising an eyebrow at her as if to say 'is this really safe'? There was no time for an answer though.

Naya blinked forward until she was right in the face's mouth, "C'mon Levi, let's go!" Levi smiled a little at the ghost and obliged, walking forward to enter the City of Illusions.

What they would see upon coming out the other side was looked like a normal city... except the street and some of the adjacent buildings were blanketed with a myriad of colourful flowers. The delicate floral perfume decorated the air pleasantly. Levi and Naya blinked and stared in amazement at the sight, "Just like the Mischeif..." The spiritist quietly said, "No. The Mischeif is like Alvadas..."
ImageImageImage
Levi Remilian
Spiritist of Dira

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Karin on January 17th, 2016, 3:38 pm

"Yes, that face is the gate. And I wouldn't know if it's magic or not. It just.. is." The girl shrugged, addressing the shadowy person. She'd never known about the gate, although she passed through it regularly.

It was just another feature of Alvadas. The two travellers passed through it up ahead, and Karin hesitated behind, taking one last look behind her. She walked forwards through the tunnel, although not before stopping to answer the question, "You have come in search of the City of Illusion. Tell me, stranger, why are you here?"

Sometimes she'd found that the gate did this, stopping her from going in even though she'd lived here most of her life. With a scowl, she looked up at the face. "You know why, because I live here." With a broad stride to catch up with the strangers, she walked through into the floral delight of Alvadas.

The strangers were standing just to the side, and Karin went to join them. The streets were flowing with flowers, even some underfoot, creating a beautiful scent when trodden on. She was glad for them, at least the illusions weren't too extreme on their first visit.

Sometimes you heard stories of travellers encountering illusions, and trying to fight them, or indeed argue, cry or scream. Depending on the illusion, that kind of reaction could be justified, but the girl was glad either way that they were only flowers... at the moment, she thought darkly.

Today she would try to help these polite travellers though, and help them if any unsavoury illusions came their way. They also wanted lodging... "Well, welcome to Alvadas! I suppose the first thing you should do is go to the Centre. The Sanity Centre that is. Unless you want to stay in an inn? I suppose it might be cheaper."

As she didn't really know how to acquire houses here, she supposed the Sanity Centre would be the best bet, but hurriedly she asked, "Are you.. are you both staying long? And what are your names? I guess it'd be a good thing to know those."

The girl laughed a little, good-humouredly. "Oh, and my name's Karin. Karin Ironyach."

Karin
Ocean gazing

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Levi Remilian on January 18th, 2016, 3:10 am

For a first impression, Alvadas has shown a very light side to the two newcomers. Levi scanned the flowers laid out before him; it looked harmless enough. The wonderful floral display was like the city welcoming Levi and Naya with a beckoning smile. There was nothing to fear from this display.

"The Sanity Centre? That is once again an unusual name." Levi replied to the girl. It brought a dark thought to Levi. The city's illusions must be able to appear much wilder. It was a worrying notion. "An inn sounds like a good idea, it is certainly the cheaper option."

"And it gives us a more traveller feel, right?" The ghost spoke up and Levi chuckled slightly at her.

"We'll be staying a season or two in Alvadas, unless something comes up and we end up staying longer. It has happened before and it can happen again." Indeed, their stay in Riverfall had spanned a year's time, far longer than they had planned. The city offered a good place to stay and a place to work too. Kenash on the other hand was but a small chapter in their travels. Levi simply felt that the plantation filled city did not match his tastes, in addition with the Freeborn rule for visitors. He did not have any plans to be branded for Dira's sake.

Their guide introduced herself as Karin Ironyach. Levi politely bowed his head and spoke, "It is nice to meet you Karin. My name is Levi Remilian and this is Naya," As he spoke the ghost materialized, showing Naya to be a pale girl with long white hair and unnaturally green eyes, her form worn on the edges and flickering in several spots. "Hi miss Karin!" The ghost flashed a bright smile at Karin.

Levi continued, "She is my sister and as you can see, a ghost. It is... a long story. Anyways," Levi frowned slightly and cleared his throat, steering the subject away, "Where is the closest inn?"

The spiritist looked down the street and spotted among the flowers a what looked like vines beginning to creep out, sprouting out like sea serpents swimming through the sea. Levi frowned when he noticed the change in scenery, "These illusions though, is there someone controlling them?"

Naya piped up, "Like a wizard? A mighty wizard who can create all these illusions like from the stories?"

"Maybe Naya, maybe," Levi smiled faintly, "But I think Karin has the answer for us." There was much he had to learn about the City of Illusions. It was essential that he learned as much about Alvadas mysteries if he was to accustom himself to the vibrant city of illusions.
ImageImageImage
Levi Remilian
Spiritist of Dira

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Karin on February 10th, 2016, 4:04 pm

The two figures appeared to be travellers, then. There was certainly a sense of long distances travelled, of being far from home. She didn't ask where they were from though.

"A season or so? Then the Cubacious Inn would be your best bet, I would imagine. I'm pretty sure they could put you up for a while." It was then that the two travellers introduced themselves, and Karin stared, perhaps a little rudely, depending on how the little girl took it.

A ghost, eh? Karin had of course heard of ghosts, but never met one. She felt like asking more, but she watched... Levi, and decided against it.

Ghosts were a product of death, and maybe that was an uncomfortable subject. The girl had never known death, the only family she had were her mother and father, and any grandparents she might have had were presumably already dead, long ago.

This ghost though, seemed unnaturally cheerful. It was probably due to her young age, maybe youth and cheer went hand in hand. However, the question about the illusions was one that she couldn't answer.

Karin started walking, not in any particular direction, but with the Cubacious Inn in mind. Her stride was long, and the flowers formed into echoes of her footsteps on the cobbles, flowering into bloom and fading slowly the further away she got. She spoke over her shoulder to Levi and his sister.

"From what I know, everyone has different views about the illusions. They're probably controlled by Ionu though. Oh, and I'd advise you to think about where you want to go. About the inn, that is. It's... helpful for navigation."

Karin
Ocean gazing

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Levi Remilian on February 12th, 2016, 12:44 am

The Cubacious Inn? That is an unusual name." Levi quietly stated, half to himself and half directed at Karin. "It feels like every name in Alvadas is of an absurd nature, although you seem normal enough." It was a prosaic statement, his own view of what he had seen in Alvadas so far. Not in every city do you see a street bloom with flowers and now vines as well.

It was easy to spot the long stare that Karin was giving Naya. It must be her first time actually meeting and talking with a ghost. Said ghost tilted her head at the older girl and asked with cheery politeness, "You must be wondering how I died, aren't you?" She seemed hardly bothered by her own question or Karin's stare.

"Naya, that is not something you ask people." Levi reprimanded gently, having noticed Karin's gaze linger on his sister.

"But that's what everyone is always thinking when they see me, they just don't want to say it. Right Miss Karin?" Naya asked with a tone too bright for such a dark topic, "They think they'll offend me or something. I died, it happened, I can't change that, that's all!" The ghost girl crossed her arms and despite her words, the green eyes of the girl appeared to darken with a sombre shade of melancholy.

The spiritist nodded and sighed softly, a sigh of a past sorrow. "I know, we both know that." He placed his right hand on her shoulder as they continued walking, the glove he wore having been infused with soulmist from a few days ago.

Karin's explanation of the illusions was vague to say the least, but there was one piece of information that stuck out. "Ionu? Is that person responsible for these illusions? Having grown up in Black Rock all his life, Levi was religious but there were many gods and goddesses that were beyond his knowledge. "And when you mean think... you mean actually just think the name of that place and you will arrive there eventually? As in the streets themselves change to match your thoughts?" It was a very bizarre idea to the newcomer. He began thinking of the name 'Cubacious Inn' as Karin instructed. That is so..."

"So amazing! You don't need maps here. I mean they'd be useless!" Naya interrupted, the ghost's melancholy had quickly flipped back to her usual excitement. The spirit floated around Karin and Levi, looking around at the still blooming flowers. There was a turn to the left ahead as the trio made their way through. Levi spoke, "So how long does it take to reach a place while...
The sentence trailed off when Levi turned the corner, only to come face to face with what looked like a large mass of intertwining vines covering the street they had come upon. The vines were still covered with the same flowers they had seen before, but the sight was a little more sinister no thanks to the vines. The spiritist stared at the vines and frowned, turning to look at Karin, "Does this usually happen? I was most definitely thinking about the Cubacious Inn and no doubt you were too so..." He turned around to look at Naya, innocently floating behind him.

"Naya... were you thinking about something else?" Levi asked, his calm veneer crumbling away to the start of annoyance. The ghost girl raised and tapped a wispy index finger against her mouth, eyes looking to the side.

"I may have been thinking about all those flowers and vines we saw earlier... but I didn't think this would happen!" The ghost feigned responsibility but still giggled at her brother. Levi sighed in exasperation, turning to look at Karin. "Do we solve this by thinking again?"

Credit goes to the fantastic Firenze
ImageImageImage
Levi Remilian
Spiritist of Dira

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Karin on March 11th, 2016, 6:21 pm

So, the girl was a dead one. Somehow, it was slightly strange to hear death being spoken about so easily, especially in one as young as this little girl, but Naya seemed comfortable with it. Karin didn't know much about death, but it was something so far away that it didn't bother her. She simply smiled at the girl, unsure how to respond to her.

But as the man carried on speaking, Karin started to shake her head, slowly and hesitantly. It was true, Ionu was the person behind the illusions, but it wasn't as simple as Levi made it out to be...

They carried on walking, and rounded a corner. There ahead of them was a wall covered with vines. Dead ends were not uncommon in Alvadas, and Karin simply sighed and went to turn around to walk away again. However, Levi and Naya seemed to have stopped and were asking her a question.

Levi seemed slightly exasperated, and Karin was too. It wasn't that she had anything better to do, but babysitting some foreigners wasn't her job. She didn't have a job, but nevertheless, she wouldn't choose tour guide if she was planning to get a job.

However, she offered a tentitive smile. "It's not as simple as that. Thinking about a place is helpful, but it's not just going... to materialise in front of you. It just helps guide you in the right direcion. If we arrive at the Inn soon, then that's brilliant. But we could end up there two bells later."

The girl shrugged. "Dead ends are pretty common too. And Ionu is a god. Ask anyone, he or she or whatever is well-loved here."

She walked off again, idly thinking of the Inn, but wondering what job she would get if she was to get one. She didn't have many hobbies, apart from swimming, but there wasn't any job she could think of where that would be a prerequisite.

Karin wasn't one for idle chatter, but these two seemed talkative, and hopefully if she inputted words occasionally, they could carry the conversation for her. "What do you do for a living, Levi?"

Karin
Ocean gazing

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)