Solo I'd Rather If You Didn't

Step-father talks with daughter and sparks fly.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Considered one of the most mysterious cities in Mizahar, Alvadas is called The City of Illusions. It is the home of Ionu and the notorious Inverted. This city sits on one of the main crossroads through The Region of Kalea.

I'd Rather If You Didn't

Postby Karin on January 18th, 2016, 9:33 pm

43rd Winter, 515 A.V.

Recently, Karin had realised, that the amount of time she spent at home had reached the perfect levels. That is, she was hardly there. Winter's mild climate didn't necessitate staying at home for warmth, and so like always, Karin took advantage of it.

Plus, it didn't really feel like home. It was a place to sleep, somewhere to catch the occasional bite to eat. But that was it.

It wasn't as if she had deliberately avoided the place, well- not entirely. The added factor of her parents didn't necessarily encourage her to be around much. But it was the renewed sense of belonging with the sea front that really drew her attention elsewhere, she thought.

That is, until she'd come to realise that the reason the ocean was so appealing was because she was avoiding talking to her mother, who always looked so hurt whenever she left the house, or because the thought of making conversation with her step-father churned her gut to anger and apprehension more than she'd ever felt.

The home situation, as she'd started to call it, meant that she stayed out as late as possible, and left sometimes even before the first morning light, or in that short gap between her father leaving for work and her mother getting up to make breakfast.

It was a tenuous way of living, and since the start of the season now, she'd felt a growing tension building in the house... another added reason for not being there much. However, tensions usually end in an explosion of some sort. This one started with a word.

"It's locked."

She'd been about to go out, early in the morning of the 43rd. In fact, her hand was on the door handle, about to turn it as silently as she could. Turning around, she saw what she had been hoping not to.

Her father and mother ready and waiting, a trap they'd laid. Nervous apprehension in her mother's eyes, and a dark, confrontational something in Jovern's.

Petch.

She looked back at the door again, and saw a new lock, just like her father had said. Petch again. "Why?" Without meaning to, she tinted her words with insolence, but from the souring of Jovern's expression it was worth it.

"Karin, you know full well why there is a lock on this door. Because you are avoiding us, and it's going to stop, whether you like it or not." Jovern crossed his arms, and inclined his head, as if directing Karin to the ring.

Well, she was going to take it. An unexpected burst of passion made her say, "And do you know why that is? Because I've been lied to. I have a right to leave." She would never once say it of herself, but in that moment she stood proud and unbent. If Jovern wanted an argument, then there would be an argument.
Last edited by Karin on March 3rd, 2016, 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

10/7/17- All my threads are marked [open] and as such are open to all. :)
Karin
Ocean gazing

Words: 384298
Joined roleplay: July 7th, 2015, 10:05 am
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

I'd Rather If You Didn't

Postby Karin on January 20th, 2016, 1:25 pm

There would almost undoubtedly be repercussions from this, she knew that as easily as she knew her hair was blonde, or that Syna was of the day and Leth of the night.

But in the cathartic words to follow, she knew something wrong would be put right. The injustice she felt would find a home in her barbed words, no matter the consequences.

Without letting Jovern speak, because she knew that in some ways they were similar in terms of anger and release, she continued, "How would you like it if you suddenly found out that you had come from somewhere you'd never heard about before? It's a shock, and I don't want to be near either of you."

As she said it, she realised something- that was completely true. It had taken her until now, but there was something inside her that wanted to leave this place, these people, this life she'd been burdened with.

Apparently, Jovern disagreed. "You are ungrateful, and I'm not going to let you get away with saying these hurtful things in your mother's presence..-"

"She's not a fragile slave, she can think for herself, step-father. Go on, what do you have to say for yourself, mama dear?" Betrayer, the girl added in her head, bitterly.

She shook her head when her mother didn't say anything, and breathed out through her nose, trying to calm the vicious swirling of anger that resided in her. "Right, I was wrong. You are a fragile slave. Following 'Dad', leaving anything that remotely scares you. It's pathetic."

Karin made as if to turn and head out, promptly realising that Jovern had locked the door, and spun around on her foot again, the embarrassment and anger mixing together to produce something she didn't understand and could barely control.

Her father's eyes scared her, in a momentary flash, and he lunged forward to grab her wrist, pulling her forwards in front of her mother. In a growl, he told her, "Apologise." It was the first time that she could remember he'd used physical violence. But then, it was the first time she'd so vocally fought and disagreed with her family.

With her heart in her mouth, the girl stood firm, unyielding. Her step-fathers hand still clenched hard around her wrist made her remember the strength difference between her and her father, and begrudgingly and shakily, she nodded her head.

He let go, suddenly, and strode to the door, agitated. Karin stood in front of her mother, refusing to look into her eyes but studying the crinkles in her forehead instead, the bent crook in her lips, the grey hairs in her hair.

She softened suddenly. She didn't hate her mother, she knew she had he reasons, no matter what Karin thought.
"I'm sorry, mum. Just... you know how important this is, right?"

Karin
Ocean gazing

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

I'd Rather If You Didn't

Postby Karin on March 3rd, 2016, 4:04 pm

Alnya stood there, looking straight ahead over Karin's shoulder for a few ticks. The look she gave her when she finally raised to meet her eyes was a horrible one, sad and pitiful.

Despite what Karin had said not just a few chimes ago, in that moment, she truly did look like a broken slave. Someone who didn't know what they believed in any more. To see her mother in that state completely shocked her, and all words left her mouth in a small huff of disappearing breath.

She looks like a broken woman... Almost as if Jovern had read her mind, he spoke up again, strange undertones lacing his voice. "Do you know why she's so upset? It's because of you, what you said. We had a tough choice to make, and we made the best one we could. Don't you think it's been hard to raise you ourselves, without friends or family?"

Karin closed her eyes, no longer knowing what she thought, too bewildered to really take any information in. All she wanted was to go outside. That was all. This enclosed space, with its broken windows, its little fire, its table and chairs and beds and things all taking up room. And her mother's feelings emanating like a raincloud, and her father's presence, tall and over-bearing. Everything was too close, she didn't want to be there, but she couldn't escape it.

Swallowing, she took deep breaths, trying to calm her racing heart and stop the angry, hurt, confused tears that threatened to flow down her face. Family, space, upset... all these words and their connotations flowed through her head, and in a burst of passionate anger she cried out, "It's been hard on me too, without friends, without anything!"

She brushed her hand over her head, smoothing down her hair and grabbing a clump as a tear trickled down the side of her nose and against her lip. "It's been hard, and I don't want anything to be hard, or sad, or lost anymore. I want to go home... to where I belong. Not here."

Her chest was heaving after her outburst. She quietly sat down in a chair, opposite her father and mother, who were looking at her. Looking, seriously considering her now. Apparently what she'd said had rung true to her family.

Jovern sat down besides Alnya, and Karin watched as they subtly held hands. Her mother brightened, just a little, and looked at Jovern. There was no mistaking that she loved him. Somehow, Karin had never really known that, but it was clear. It was right there, after all.

"I'm sorry, mama, father. I won't avoid you any longer. But can you see... I'm Svefra." She pulled up her sleeve, showing the mark which proclaimed her as belonging to the waves. "I don't belong here like you do. I need to leave."

She thought of the Mischief, that boat that seemed like such a glowing ticket of escape. She didn't know if it would happen, but all she knew was that she wanted to make her parents aware that she no longer wanted to be there.

Karin
Ocean gazing

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

I'd Rather If You Didn't

Postby Karin on March 3rd, 2016, 4:18 pm

In surprise, she watched as her step-father nodded, hesitantly but firmly. "You're growing up child. We know that. Why else do you think we let you get away with avoiding us for so long?" Alnya smiled to the side, a sad, wry smile.

"We need to talk to you about something we've been considering. Increasingly, this city has been getting more and more dangerous. I want to move on, and your mother wants to come with me. We're going to move to Sultros, my homeland. It'll be a dangerous trip, but we've made provisions."

Karin blinked, and leaned backwards in her chair. She had been expecting a storm, but nothing quite like this. Before she could say a word, he continued. "The option is, you can come with us, or stay here. If you decide to come with us, there's a space on the caravan for you. If not, we'll help you. But this house is being sold, and most of our belongings. You'll have to use the money from your job to make a living now, like an adult."

They were moving. So far away. Just like that, the entire universe expanded away in front of her, exploding into the air like paper confetti, throwing everything into disarray and blinding her with colours and noise and the unknown.

"I don't know what to say..." The girl trailed off, truly unable to think of anything. Her mother spoke up for the first time. "Dear, come with us. You'll be safe with us. Then we won't miss you." She smiled, hopeful, but Karin was already shaking her head.

"Mama, you know I can't. After everything I've just told you, surely you know that?" The hope died in her eyes then, and the girl sighed, turning away. The morning light danced in the dust motes, and she said, "I might get the Mischief. Or, I might get my own house. I might even get a boat. But I won't be going with you to Sultros."

There and then, it was final. Jovern nodded, as if already aware that that was her plan. Alnya started to sob, so quietly. More than anything, it frustrated her, but she tried not to show it. She didn't appreciate it, but she understood why. It was like she was deliberately trying to keep Karin with them using guilt as a tactic though, and all she wanted now was to stay in Alvadas.

Karin
Ocean gazing

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

I'd Rather If You Didn't

Postby Karin on March 3rd, 2016, 4:32 pm

There was silence in the house for a little while, only the sounds of Alyna quietly crying, and Jovern shushing her, stroking her hair and comforting her.

Karin took it upon herself to break the silence, the silence she found incredibly awkward and loaded. "When are you leaving?" Jovern answered, standing up and tidying away some bowls into a box that Karin hadn't noticed before.

"The second day of Spring. That's when the trade caravan leaves, and we intend to travel on that. You understand that we can't give you anything, we need it all for the journey, right?"

She nodded, understanding if not necessarily liking that she would be left nothing by the people who had, after all, been looking after her for the majority of her life. "You need all your money so you can start a new life, I understand."

Now all she needed was to go outside, away from the stifling bowels of the house. "Father, can I go out now, please?" Her heart felt heavy, she needed the release of the air on her skin. To her dismay, he shook his head.

"No. I'm keeping the lock on the door, right up until this house is sold. We're spending time together, whether you like it or not. I'd rather if you didn't go out and waste all this time, when your mother needs to spend time with you."

Alnya looked up from her mention, but Karin was too busy keeping her cool to notice. No matter that they were both going to be gone in less than a season, Jovern still always managed to make her froth at the mouth and provoke her.

"Fine. But I won't be nice if I'm stuck in here all the time. At least let me out occasionally. I'm not a chicken in a coop." Jovern nodded, seriously, to which Karin smiled internally. Hooray, I finally make headway.

"You can go out now, as long as you come back before it's dark. Otherwise you're locked in all tomorrow. As it is, I expect you to spend some time with me, at the forge for the next few days, and then with your mother at the house for the next few days after that. Then you will be a little more free, but just remember, I could easily make you come with me if I wanted to."

Karin blanched in horror, visibly recoiling, if only slightly. So much time locked inside, where I don't want to be. How could he be like this, all the time? But she nodded, through gritted teeth.

"If that's what it takes, I'll do it. But please let me out now." Jovern nodded, and produced the key from his pocket. It was shiny and new, and looked expensive. But then the door was open, with its customary squeal, and the bright air of outside greeted her, with its sights and sounds and smells.

Without a backwards glance, she was gone.

Karin
Ocean gazing

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

I'd Rather If You Didn't

Postby Sayana on April 19th, 2016, 11:41 am

Don't forget to edit/delete your grade request. If there's anything I may have missed, please PM me and I'll be happy to look into it.

Karin
Skills
  • Rhetoric: 4
  • Observation: 2
  • Intimidation: 1
  • Endurance: 2
  • Planning: 2
  • Socialization: 1
  • Negotiation: 1
Lores
  • Tricks to avoiding homelife
  • Confrontation with mother and step-father
  • Rhetoric: Holding a train of thought in an argument
  • Alnya: Like a broken woman
  • Mother and step-father's plan to move to Sultros
  • Planning: To board the Mischief Spring 516

Comments: I really enjoyed the thread and the family conflict you portrayed. Karin's pointed disgust at her mother was particularly evident even though somewhere deep down she cared for her. I also found it was an easy read with the story broken down well between the posts. Like that each post was a complete idea/scene and had me curious to find out what would happen next. I'm finding it a bit tricky to give you constructive criticism, since it really was rather enjoyable. One minor thing I can think of is that I always got the impression that in medieval times children tended to 'grow up faster' and be held to higher responsibilities at a younger age. As such, it seemed a bit strange that Karin would be 'grounded' at the age of seventeen, and in general would have to interact with her parents in such a parent-child relationship despite her age. That's all I can think of really. I very much enjoyed the character development and the segway into her plots of traveling.

Your Grader,

Sayana
Boxcode design: Firenze
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Words: 1543550
Joined roleplay: September 22nd, 2014, 12:38 am
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Syliras Seasonal Challenge (1) Alvadas Seasonal Challenge (1)