PM to join [Antinous Training Grounds] Proper Technique. (Alex) pt.3

Garland and Alex go out and patrol

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

[Antinous Training Grounds] Proper Technique. (Alex) pt.3

Postby Garland on January 30th, 2016, 5:10 pm

Garland and Alex had finished their training for today, but there was still one other thing for Garland to do. The chaperons in the dorms agreed to watch Garland's children during the morning and early afternoon, but they wouldn't watch over them for the whole day.

So when Garland had finished training he washed his face and ran off to the dorms. As soon as the doors opened Garland heard the unmistakable crying of his two younglings. Garland walked quickly through the hallway, intending to reach the crying twins before people were driven mad by their crying.

He took the children off the hands of the chaperons, Mrs. Pernis didn't seem fazed by the children, the other chaperon however were very much relieved to have a bit of peace and quiet.

Garland took the twins and bundled them up nice and snug. Phobos has stopped crying when Garland had picked him up, just a few sniffles and hics here and there. It seemed that the baby boy missed his father.

Aneeka on the other hand looked like she was very much ready to throw a punch if her little body would listen to what she wanted. Right now though, she was just flailing her arms around like mad, kicking anything within kicking distance.

Garland placed Phobos into one of the cradleboards and went over to Aneeka. Garland tried to calm her down by making silly faces close to her face, it wasn't working by the looks of it. Instead she picked up her rattle and started hammering Garland's face.

She instantly brightened up and enjoyed inflicting pain on her father. Garland picked her up, rubbing the sore spot on his face. He put Aneeka in some warm clothes, much to her annoyance and placed her in the other cradleboard.

He took a few necessities for the twins and went outside. "I need to make a quick stop in Traveller's Row, hope you don't mind."
Garland
A Father First, A Squire Second

Words: 687461
Joined roleplay: August 24th, 2014, 2:02 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Alexander Faircroft on January 30th, 2016, 5:36 pm

Description "Alex Common" Alex thoughts "Myrian" "Fratava" "Others"

After their training Garland had taken off and vanished like a fart in the wind. Alex however headed off towards the main gates, and simply hung about nearby the entrance leaving garland to mull over whatever it was that he needed to do. Alex drew his great sword and looked over the blade. The darkened steel not something to give off a large glimmer nor flash still it was enough for him to learn that the blades weight and force was substantial. And it was something he was going to have to learn to control if he ever wanted to use the blade in combat well.

Giving it a quick whirl around his head he made sure to keep a distance from any of the merchants and passers-by. The thing was heavy as sin and hit like a righteous fury. Feeling the heft of the blade Alex slipped it back in the sheath across his back, and in the same motion drew the much smaller dagger from his side. Being relatively new to the uses of blades and most close quarters combat he was having a difficult time adjusting still he hoped he’d get there eventually. Tossing the wolf head dagger around in his hands he could see the razor edge of the blade was still honed to a fine point. He dreaded the day he’d have to fight another person. For real.

Slipping the dagger back into its sheath he lifted his hand up to the sigils of Priskil and Dira around his neck. A small prayer rolling about in his head. I hope I never have to take a life. But should I then dira I apologize for the inconvenience. Slipping kihala’s sigil into his hands he spoke to the goddess of life. I apologize to you Kihala if I ever am forced to take a life…I’ll try everything within my power to avoid it first. Without knowing it he’d closed his eyes and only when he heard the approaching heavy foot falls of Garland closing in on him did he open them again. Apparently he needed to make a quick stop in the traveller’s row. Alex nodded. “Alright then, lead on.” He smirked a little and followed behind garland when he chose to walk off.

Alexander Faircroft
A criminal, without a crime.

Words: 945306
Joined roleplay: January 5th, 2016, 9:21 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Garland on January 31st, 2016, 4:15 am

Garland had led the way. The twins always loved going outside, seeing the sights of the city, and all that.

Today though, they were more interested on the giant of a man following Garland. To them, Alex looked like one of the buildings than a person. They watched Alex curiously, Phobos shrunk back at Alex, clearly quite intimidated by the tall man.

Aneeka on the other hand struggled in the cradleboard, shaking her rattle at Alex, if Alex got close enough she would most likely try to hit his face with the rattle. She liked hitting things by the looks of it.

Garland walked a steady pace, trying not to bounce or jostle the cradleboard. The last thing he would want is these two throwing up on Alex.

The streets were cold, and even had snow on the ground, some people were shoveling it to the side of the street and some knights and squires helped out as well. Syliras, despite being completely ruled by a huge military force, was a decent place to live. Garland had never been to any other city, but from the tales he had heard, this place and Mura seemed to be the best places for a simple man to make a living.

Aneeka seemed frustrated by the fact that Garland was keeping his distance from Alex, unless Alex gets a face full of rattle. In her frustration she threw the rattle at Alex. Phobos was busy staring at the people shoveling snow to pay any more attention to Alex.

It seemed the two babies had gotten use to the giant following them.

"Aneeka! Don't throw things at people, they might take your things." He said and picked up the rattle. "Sorry about that. She likes hitting things, both of them like throwing things, and they both hate not being able to play. You know, being kids."
Garland

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Alexander Faircroft on January 31st, 2016, 11:56 am

Only after Garland had arrive and Alex had already agreed to go with him did he notice the small carrying platform for Garland’s kids. Perhaps this was why he needed to go to the traveller’s row. Alex never really was one to know how to act around children. Quite clearly they were polar opposites one was easily scared of him and the other t seemed like she wanted his attention. Garland was practically still from the waist up as he walked not wanting to alert the kids too much.

Alex folded his arms across his chest and leant down a little to get a better view of them s small smirk on his face, pulling one hand free of his folded arms he waved two fingers lightly back and forth at the pair of the babies. Only to be returned with a sharp jolt to the head. Not painful but very sudden. He gave the now rattle less kid a small stare and let garland retrieve the rattle. Scolding his kid and apologizing to Alex. He simply waved his head side to side slightly. “Don’t worry about it, kids will be kids right?” He wasn’t used to kids but that didn’t mean he was intolerant of them or their escapades.

“So you’re dropping them off I take it? It’d be kinda odd to head out on patrol with a couple of young children with us.” An honest smirk across his face, as he spoke Alex ran the tip of his let hand’s fingers across the handle of the throwing knife lodged in his vambrace, between the plate and the chain. Always good to have a backup plan just in case things ever went south and he needed a blade stat. “So Garland. Who’s the mom?”
An honest enough question with no ill intentions. He was genuinely curious primarily as he wondered what kind of person would end up with Garland. Considering how little he knew about the man it was a good chance to learn more about him.
Alexander Faircroft

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Garland on February 7th, 2016, 2:32 am

Garland was glad Alex wasn't the type to get angry. Phobos looked up at Alex, a mix of curious and afraid. Aneeka started chewing on her rattle while she looked at Alex, the two were very curious about him.

As Garland and Alex made it to the Traveler's Row, he saw that Elann had been waiting outside. She seemed much happier now that she's taking care of Phobos and Aneeka from time to time, though she does look more tired.

"Hey Elann!" He smiled and looked over to Alex. "This is Alex, you two can get to know each other some other time, we're running late as it is. Mind if you wait outside for a bit, Alex?"

Garland walked into Elann's home and had placed the twins on the carpet. The two enjoyed the familiar texture of the fuzzy ground, and were trying to crawl around, though they were failing, and just a bit wobbly.

Garland walked back out, having dropped off everything he had brought except his sword. "Sorry for making you wait, Alex. At least you've met the twins now, right? They're a troublesome duo. Weren't there a pair of twins in the knighthood? Maybe they could tell me how to keep these two out of trouble."

"Oh right! We're late. We were suppose to patrol the road from the Bazaar towards the docks for three bells, would that be alright with you?"

OOC note :
Sorry about the absence, exams were killer.

To graders:Also I hope me having Elann in my thread would be alright, I can change it if there are problems
Garland

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Alexander Faircroft on February 7th, 2016, 3:25 am

Alex strolled through the city streets now with Garland the traveller’s row was busy now. Filled with a few people always the way around this time of day. Garland stepped up to a building with a woman standing in front of it. Strange who would be standing out in front of a building doing nothing at this time of day? Garland answered the question he’d posed himself. He was there to drop his kids off and the woman’s name was “Elann” he’d have to remember that. Giving a brief introduction Alex smiled lightly and nodded, a half bow half humble greeting. Asked if he could wait outside he paused and then clapped garland lightly on the back. “Sure go for it I’ll hang about here.”

Alex simply leant against the stonework as Garland stepped in with the kids. Alex paused to go back over the things he’d learnt and had taught. Simple drawing of a bow string, and the stance with it. And Garland had taught him that speed and manoeuvrability trumped power like he’d believed all along. Alex now had to divine a stance that would allow him to use the range of the great sword and control its weight whilst bringing its power to bear. How did his father swing a sword twice this one’s size and thickness with such ease? Alex sighed slowly.

A chime and a half passed. Alex just lingered outside pressing his back into the stonework. He closed his eyes and sighed. What exactly was Garland doing in there? As he motioned to push off of the stone work Garland appeared almost like he’d summoned him with a thought. And they were apparently late now. They had to do three bells worth of patrol? Was that all? Alex was used to not having time to breath after a patrol mission. Alex smiled widely. “Nice, well if were late we can just make it up.” Then Alex realized what he’d said. “Oh…Well you can head home to your kids if it takes too long I’ll finish off the patrol.” Alex nodded lightly as he began to follow after Garland wherever he would lead the duo.

OOCDont worry bout it man :D
Alexander Faircroft

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Garland on February 8th, 2016, 2:30 am

"Sera Catherine may act rough around the edges and on most days she is, but she has been giving me some leeway when she learned about the kids. She has given me a much easier patrol to work with."

He smiled and walked down the street, the snow had started falling again and it looked like it was gonna be another cold night in Syliras. "Though I remember before the kids, she would have training in the morning and the afternoon patrols, sometimes until the twentieth bell."

Garland and Alex had made it to the Bazaar. The streets were lined with buyers and merchants from all around. Despite the cold, commerce had not been affected so much, though the food stocks might be more affected later in the season.

"Well, you know a lot about me Alex, yet I know only a little about you. Maybe it just goes to show how talkative I am, but I was wondering how you became a squire? Considering your skill with the bow, I would think you're a hunter."

It was true that he didn't know much about Alex, but he did enjoy his company, he seemed like a good sort, and quite a good fighter too. He had a good head on his shoulder, more than he could say about himself. Maybe the constant blows he had suffered from the orphanage had some effect to that.

Life taught him plenty of street smarts, but honestly, anyone could learn that in a fortnight, but you can't learn or teach quick-thinking and retention. It took a long time for lessons to get drilled into his head. Maybe he was just thick-headed, but he it didn't change the fact that Alex was better than Garland and with some training could surpass him in every way except experience.

Without Aventis, Garland had been slacking, he had no goal, only to become a knight and be a good father. Now he had a goal in the knighthood. A rival so to speak.

Arch could have been Garland's rival, but their differences in skill made it impossible for him to train against him with his weapons. Alex was perfect for training, though Garland needed to step up his game if he wanted to match Alex's rapid improvement.
Garland

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Alexander Faircroft on February 8th, 2016, 5:05 pm

The walk was pleasant enough, nothing majorly distracting nor immediately outstanding. Still Garland talked, and talked. Seemed the man could just go on for days and that was fine by Alex. His game was information. The more he learned the more he could do, the more he could do the more he could actively learn. A cycle of never-ending knowledge. Still though the knowledge about Sera Catherine was something. Apparently she was even worse before Garland had the kids…That would have been something to both see and fear. Longer shifts, and late evenings it seemed.

The bazaar was filled to bursting with merchants in all kinds of swaddles of colours and swathes of fabric. Despite the freezing temperatures they were still out in force. Buying, selling, trading and bartering as best they could to pool together as much coin as they could. Whether for their families or jut themselves Alex didn’t know, he could infer but not be certain. Garland cut the silence again he only knew a little about him? Alex couldn’t help but chuckle lightly. “Nothing much to tell really…I’ve been all over the shop, from Nyka to Sunberth to Zeltiva to here. I became a squire to…do good. And to help those who can’t help themselves. As for what I was before I joined. You’re right I was a hunter. Of many things…” He paused a moment seeming to loose himself in thought again.

A strange thing it was in his mind…He’d had a good enough childhood…But what terrified him was the fact that it’d all been pulled from under him in just five short years. His hand moved to the loop of sigils again rolling the watchtower in his fingers he knew there was a hope of a better tomorrow. The Hope of a better day on the horizon. It was what kept him going. He eventually spoke again soft voiced and calming. “And I could much ask you the same, why’d you join the knights? And judging from your strength I’m guessing you were a mercenary before you were a squire.” A calm smile on his face now as the hope of a better day often cut a path through the turmoil of his mind.

Alexander Faircroft

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Garland on February 9th, 2016, 10:05 am

"Me? A merc? Haha!" Garland simply laughed at the thought. He was too young to be a merc and the only time he's ever used his sword before that was in the Pits.

"No, I was simply a carpenter's assistant." He said, remembering his younger days. "Though I did little woodwork myself, I simply carried logs and tools from place to place, sometimes delivering wood to people around the city. The man I worked for was an old man, but he did plenty in his time. He would always get help from children because he made toys for them and let them make their own toys from some of the wood they gathered."

He gave a small fond smile. "Maybe I'll let you meet him. Though he's gotten quite old, and I don't think there are a lot of helpers left." He thought about the first day he became a squire.

"Hmmm... The first day I became a squire was also the first day I killed a man." He paused, remembering the bile that built up inside him when he stomped that person's head in. "I guess you probably haven't heard about the attack during the start of fall 514?"

Garland and Alex weren't really paying attention to their patrol, it was pretty tame and regular. People were selling things a bit higher than regular prices because of the winter season, buyers would try to haggle in return.

"A huge attack on the gates that day, blew it to smetherines, and killed plenty of people near the area to boot. I was lucky, only being a bit out of the blast range, but close enough to run in and help." He thought about why he was so close to the gates, so early in the morning. "I had a bit of a drink the night before near the swan, and I had training scheduled outside in the morning."

Garland flushed a bit. "I fell asleep in the swan, drunk as shyke." Garland and Alex passed by a few buildings in repair. "The attack was heavy, some of the attackers broke through the gate and into the city, the knights repaired the gate and the wall quickly enough, but a few places didn't get much support from the knights during the rebuilding effort."

"I'm getting off-track, but this kind of story is best told with a mug in the hand, don't you agree? Maybe I can tell you about it later?"
Garland

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Alexander Faircroft on February 9th, 2016, 3:59 pm

The sudden burst of laugher and the dismissal of his suggestion was something that made him wonder. He was simply a carpenter’s apprentice? A nice older guy. Alex paused in thought. The small smirk, he caught and the potential meeting of his old mentor. “I’m sure the gold guy has plenty of life left in him yet.” He glanced around him focusing on the little things in the city. A few small trades here and there some larger ones, some over inflated ones but still all legal. His mind flicked back to some of the cities he’d been in and the shadier trades he’d seen. Garlands voice then cut through the silence again. And with that one sentence a stark contrast was put between the two.

“No…I only arrived here in the winter of five-fourteen. I slipped past the events of the fall…” As he spoke he could see a difficulty in garland. As much as Alex seemed to not be paying attention his eaers were always picking up what his eyes couldn’t. Distant voices, quiet transactions. Trying to sift through the cacophony that was the bazaar, was challenging but not entirely impossible. Garland then started his story about the events. Was no-where safe? Was there no place with any reprieve? Garland continued and Alex listened. Even catching the colour of embarrassment and regret in him.

“We should probably save it for later. And you did what you had too to save people. I can honestly say I haven’t killed anyone yet…Done some things I’m not proud of…But never killed anyone.” He had a sudden flash back to one of the days in Sunberth. His hand tightened and shook, he wasn’t sure if it was rage or fear. But it was something primal. Alex took the lead pace suddenly pushing through the bazaar towards the docks. He needed air.

He hoped garland was following him as he spoke. “It’s difficult. Being a squire I mean…I know that one day I’m going to be forced to take the life of another…And…It’s weighing heavily on me.” He cast his gaze out over the sea. His hand still shaking at his side, lightly, faintly. “Garland…What if I can’t do it?”

Alexander Faircroft

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Next