Thomas Teaches

Job Thread 1 (Izuyani, please)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

Thomas Teaches

Postby Thomas Cosa on February 28th, 2016, 4:50 am

70th of Winter, 512 AV

Thomas wasn't a teacher. The mage was secretive by nature, fed paranoia and wore suspicion like a second skin. He cared little to show magic to anyone, let alone a stranger. Still, he knew coming to Lhavit he owed a debt -- escaping Kalinor hadn't been free, and Thomas imagined it the trip hadn't been exactly cheap. Had they been in any other city, Laria could have managed an escape for them easily, but stuck amongst murderers and rapist, both he and the Ephyarian jumped at the chance to leave. And now they both owed Ald'gare Dusk, and his family, their lives.

So, despite himself, Thomas agreed to teach students for the tower.

He was alone in an almost empty classroom, aside two plush silk pillows, one of which he was currently occupying. Sat crisis-crossed, Thomas hid a small pebble in his left hand, his fist clenched so tightly the stone was impossible to see. In his other, a violet wild flower petal, something he'd stolen from the impressive gardens that collected around the Dusk Tower.

He'd decided against bringing Stranger, not wanting a student to guess his ability in any other magic. It was stressful enough having someone know he practiced, and not having any control over who that person told, or what that person decided to spill across the greedy ears of everyday mundane. Had he his way, he'd be wearing a mask, or better yet, not teaching at all.

Whoever it was, they were due to arrive any moment now.

Thomas Cosa
What if no one could stop you?

Thomas Cosa
bratty mageling

Words: 385707
Joined roleplay: October 20th, 2012, 9:33 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Overlored (1)

Thomas Teaches

Postby Izuyanai on March 5th, 2016, 6:55 am

Balancing an ink bottle and quill atop the hardcover of her journal, Izuyanai walked down the hallway silently counting the number of classroom doors. She hadn't brought much else today and only her cloak was hanging around the crook of her elbow. Pausing before what she believed was the right door, the kelvic raised a hand and gently knocked twice. From what she guessed, the Towers had already assigned her a teacher. However they had only informed her of the date, time, and class. Not knowing exactly what to expect had a mild curiosity tugging at her conscious. Oh well, matters would be revealed soon enough.

A few moments later, she pushed against the door and stepped into a simple classroom. The aspect that immediately grasped her attention was the person seated comfortably in the room. What was more, they were a recognizable someone. He had more or less the same sort of disdainful look on his face. Not the expression of someone who was overjoyed to be there. And while that didn't bode well for her, Izuyanai smiled and inclined her head in greeting.

"Hello. I can't say I'm not surprised to see you here, but I suppose it makes sense."

After all, where else would a mage have the most business than the Towers.

Still standing near the entrance, Izuyanai continued to gauge his reaction. She felt that this character was a tricky thing to step around. The scales could tip in either direction, which was probably why their encounters were precarious at best. She could interact easily enough with the more mundane citizens by steering their responses. However, she doubted this mage would ever be interested in falling instep with such cheap social tricks. Best to keep on her toes instead.

Wondering what sort of impression he had of their last meeting, Izuyanai spoke to confirm. "You are my teacher for Auristics, yes?"
Izuyanai
I'm back!

Words: 165305
Joined roleplay: September 14th, 2014, 8:14 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Thomas Teaches

Postby Thomas Cosa on March 5th, 2016, 11:31 am

His magic flared, instantly recognizing his student's aura long before Thomas recognized the woman. He wasn't thrilled to see her; the wizard's mouth curled downwards, settling into a familiar scowl. Not only did he have to teach, but now he was stick with something so obviously not human. She felt flesh and blood to his sense, but the complex duality was something he'd seen in a human aura before, and until she proved herself to him, Izuyanai would be listed as other.

"Obviously," Thomas snorted, motioning for her sit down on the cushion, "You won't be needing any of those," He waved away at her journal, ink, and feather, "I doubt you have the ability to both practice and focus on your notes. I was told you were exceedingly not able when it comes to Auristics," He remembered, his eyes still watching Izuyanai with an unhappy mix of disgust and suspicion. He caught the scent of curiosity, the warm cinnamon blooms of light mixed easily against the white-pink of her aura. There was something cold about her, different from Keene who'd been completely void of emotion, but something close to the paranoia Thomas suffered daily. 'This', he thought, 'could be something positive'. Whether she was wary of him or of magic, neither would prove unhelpful to her.

His magic wandered about her, like a cat eyeing a mouse, delicately spearing whatever caught his fancy. There was that annoying feathery-ness, that certain strangeness that avoided his understanding. He wondered, at her level, was she even aware of this? How her aura, to those above Thomas' skill, told everything to anyone who would listen?

Thomas wondered, a smile smile touching the edges of his lips, would she want to leave if she knew?

Only one way to find out.

"Tell me, Izuyani," He started, his tone disinterested, "What do you know of this magic? Who introduced it to you?," Thomas allowed her to digest those questions before he asked his next, "What do you know of the aura?"

He did hope she would try to lie. It would only make it that more easier to make her time here all the more unpleasant.

Thomas Cosa

Thomas Cosa
bratty mageling

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Thomas Teaches

Postby Izuyanai on March 6th, 2016, 10:09 am

Choosing to ignore the subtle slights sent her way, Izuyanai sank down onto the cushion and set aside her belongings. Just as she had thought, the man wasn't in an accommodating mood. One had to wonder if he ever was. Tilting her head, she listened carefully as Thomas sent a small volley of questions her way.

"Who introduced it to me? It was a family member."

The raven glanced off to the side for a brief moment. It was still strange to think of her brother. Like trying to remember and forget at the same time. A wave of nostalgia threatened her before she slammed the proverbial window in its face and flicked her eyes back to her teacher.

"Of course it wasn't a very formal education so what I know is mostly from experience. Trial and error, if you will. I know that everything has an aura around it. Sentient beings tend to have larger and more complex auras, though they all provide information regarding the thing which it surrounds."

Waving her hand over to the side, Izuyanai lightly tapped the solid glass of the ink bottle.

"The way you extract information from an aura is by controlling your focus on it. A light focus means basic data and a stronger focus gives you detailed results. The easiest thing to tell with objects, for me at least, is the physical property. I can usually estimate the size or state of something by reading its aura. Same goes for living creatures. But I have an added impression of feelings, so I assume more adept aurists are able to read emotions accurately. Last of all, I hear auras give away the use of magic."

Finished listing up her knowledge, Izuyanai waited expectantly for Thomas' response. She felt she had done pretty well for educating herself up till now. Her natural thirst for information had aided in shaping and improving her magic. But there was a limit to what she could learn on her own. Wishing for a different perspective had been one of the greatest reasons Izuyanai had asked to be taught. That, and she had some questions.
Izuyanai
I'm back!

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Thomas Teaches

Postby Thomas Cosa on March 6th, 2016, 1:49 pm

Thomas nodded along as she explained herself. He was impressed, despite himself, with the amount she'd picked up for someone whose education was lacking. His spell soften around her, threatening to suffocate her aura as it filtered out colors. There was the beginning steeliness of confidence, a pretty ember of red-gold. Something he imagined a better teacher would try and encourage, stoking the flame into a full fire; Thomas, however, planned no such thing. Confidence, as far as he was concerned, was like magic: it needed to be earned, or it was worthless.

"Only a family member? Izuyanai, I need you to be specific as you can," Thomas offered her a deceptive smile. He'd smelled the sweet lemons, the oh-so-familiar honey hello of nostalgia that she'd worn like a dainty crown. It had dissapaited as soon as she had caught it, but Thomas would hardly let whatever it was be forgotten so easily. Maybe someone had died, painfully, in front of her. It was only healthy to bring those memories to light. He was her teacher, after all -- shouldn't she trust him enough to share her past, no matter how painful, with him?

"I'm glad you aren't a complete novice. So you understand, then, that your aura basically screams everything you're feeling, and to the more experience eye, anything you've felt recently -- or ever?" Thomas paused for effect, his spell eager at the not human's aura, pulling at her, grasping at the imagined feathers and ripping them out at their seams, tearing them apart for any bit of information he could find. "You'll have no secrets in this class, not with me, and especially not with any aurist worth their salt," he continued, his voice pointed and cruel. He didn't want her to feel safe or secure or encouraged. Magic wasn't simply paid for, not in his opinion. If she wanted to be here, in his class, he would see her fight for it.

"For example, I know you aren't human," Thomas said, his eyes shot up to meet hers. He wondered if that was a secret that she'd like to keep. He wondered what she was -- surely, he knew the name for her race, he wasn't uneducated, but it frustrated him he couldn't guess it alone from her aura. "I knew, when we first met, that you had some magic. Not much, but enough that I could see." He cocked his head, considering the creature before him like a toddler might a small bug. He doubted she was dangerous, she wouldn't have been allowed in the city had she been. A kelvic, perhaps? It was a sudden guess, and one without proof. Although he wasn't sure he knew of another race that could pass so easily -- unless, he used Auristics -- as human. "Perhaps, in time, you might learn to hide those things, or counter the spells of lesser aurists, but first," he offered her his fist, still clenched and hiding his stone. "Can you tell me what's in my hand?"

Thomas Cosa

Thomas Cosa
bratty mageling

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Thomas Teaches

Postby Izuyanai on March 7th, 2016, 4:13 am

She felt a small sense of relief at the expression of approval on Thomas’ face, but it quickly dissipated as his lips curled into a sly smirk. Of course he’d pursue that topic. He had been reading her ever since she had walked in, hadn’t he? Why else would his expression be so dangerously knowing? Talk about not having any respect for privacy. Not that Izuyanai held such things in high esteem, anyway.

If her teacher thought to unnerve her, he would have to try harder than that. No secrets? That was fine, though it didn’t mean they didn’t come at a pretty price. They’d play a game of defence and offence, so he’d have to work for answers. All alone after her escape from Windreach, this might have been the most fun she had since then.

Donning a disarmingly bright smile, Izuyanai spun her tale. “Oh, I can’t imagine why you would want to hear more about that. It’s a typical tale, one among thousands. We were what,” she paused to count on her fingers, “a big happy family of six. I picked up auristics and a few other tricks from my elder siblings, though I never got along well with my sisters. I practiced on my own and decided I could do better for myself and left. Ran away, if you will. I’m sure some people could relate.”

Looking rather pointedly at Thomas, she resettled in her cushion. Ah, one of her favourite tactics. A whole bunch of words with very vague information that made it seem lengthy. Difficult to piece together related facts and infer information from. But not a lie.

“So auras contain residual activity or emotions?” she continued. “Since you seem to have been reading my aura, would I have to ask you to know what my aura appears to be, or could one read their own aura? Would an object’s aura be different depending on the aurist?”

She was glad she had prepared her own questions and hoped they would return with interesting answers. They might even distract him from his prying, who knew.

“I have a suggestion.” Izuyanai spoke up to his most recent revelation in uncovering her identity. “If you already know I’m not human there’s no entertainment in keeping it a mystery forever. I’ll guess to what you have in your hand and you can guess to what I am. Just something to pass the time while I concentrate.”

With that said she turned her attention to the task at hand. Obviously he meant for her to use magic, however she could already tell that the object had to be small enough to fit in his palm. Most likely solid, from the way he was holding it, unless his fingers were closed around nothing at all. Taking a breath, she cast a spell and let it meander towards the hidden object. Magic allowed her to see the rough outline of Thomas’ aura, first. Cold, steely, and generally unwelcoming, it was probably best to hurry up and move on lest she be booted out of the classroom in disgust. His investigation of her aura was probably best left a one-sided thing. At least for now.

Moving past the more immediate, flaring aura, Izuyanai reached a smaller one concealed by his hand. It confirmed her earlier suspicions and added to the conviction that it wasn’t a living creature like an insect. Smooth? No, rounded but rough. Very solid too. But that could be a number of things. A large button? Right now she was only getting physical details. The kelvic tugged her spell this way and that, waiting for the imagery and vague feelings that she often relied on when reading sentient auras.

She sensed the echo of a loud crackling and then a mountain. Mountain? She had just confirmed that it was a small object in his hand and yet she was given the strong impression of the mountains all around the city. Unless of course, it was a piece of the mountains.

“Rock? Stone?” she answered cautiously, peering up at her teacher.
Izuyanai
I'm back!

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Thomas Teaches

Postby Thomas Cosa on March 9th, 2016, 12:49 pm

Thomas almost smiled at her response, catching himself only just. She was, whatever her race, quick witted and an impressively good sport. Her aura fit whatever it was she decided, it seemed, matching her smile with an dazzling array of pinks and blues. Obviously shallow, of course, and her effort forced Thomas to crush into her aura, deeper in an effort to keep up with her real feelings.

It was surprisingly to find her actually entertained. Rose and salmon danced a rounded her, the fading laughter of someone echoing around her, airy and light. Was she playing with him? Did she think this a game?

"What a shame that you never played well with your sisters. Obviously, then, you were closer to your brothers, brother? Which one, I wonder, taught you? He asked, not entirely sure of himself. This wasn't like Keene, or Alses, where he'd played to get a reaction. Izuyanai was expressive enough, but where did he plan to go with this? Like it or not, he was a teacher and this was a lesson. He could push and push and push, but he'd better have a reason for it. "And how? I only ask because if he, or they, taught you anything I need to correct, better now than down the line, you understand?" Thomas smiled, please with his response. It made sense, that a teacher would want to better their student. Not that Thomas cared, really, but he needed to be convincing enough to fool Izuyanai into thinking he was doing his job. She was paying him, when it came down to it.

He nodded to her question, "Yes, all aura do. Actually, short of mind-reading, there is very little an aura won't tell you," Thomas answered, his magic sparing against Izuyanai's prepared defenses, shaving and stabbing along her dancing aura. She wasn't prepared, or educated enough to balance him out, to escape his advances as easily as Alses did. "Obviously, you would view aura differently than me," his tone warned his offense; how could she even think to compare the two? "The way you see has everything to do with perspective, Kelvic," he guessed, his tone only confident out of habit. The word sounded almost vulgar as it slipped from his tongue, and Thomas only hoped he was right. What a fool he would look if he was wrong.

"For example, some aurists see magic as a shimmering light, a delicate veil of incandescent beauty. These people, are of course, complete idiots," Thomas complained, his voice thick with condescension, "While magic can create beautiful things, useful things, it will never, in this classroom, be condensed to something so shallow. It is not an aesthetic," He continued, watching her aura for any reaction, his mind sharpening his next comment, "It is deadly and vile and addictive. It will ruin you, given a chance. It will dominate your mind, should you prove incapable. And the Shinya, because they are also stupid, will kill you, whether or not you prove a talent," he added, sighing as he uncovered his hand. Thomas wouldn't complement her for knowing, he wouldn't acknowledge it even, but he was impressed. It was a shame that only Sahova knew to protect talent against all, even in the face of the overgiven.

Her magic was raw. A rough something that could perhaps be made sharp and effective. She'd practiced more control than he expected, her spell flying through the space, expertly deflecting from his own, far more intoxicating aura for the rock. Izuyanai would become something better than herself should Thomas get his way.

"Tell me how you knew," he demanded, his magic piercing her aura with a renewed interest. He would see how she thought, her aura stuttering and breathing and pulsing, and he would know her. "If you say you guessed, I will personally have you lobotimized. If you can't so much as put together a coherent sentence, you will be completely useless as a mage," Thomas warned, his voice completely serious. Magic wasn't for everyone.

Thomas Cosa

Thomas Cosa
bratty mageling

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Thomas Teaches

Postby Izuyanai on March 9th, 2016, 3:49 pm

"My elder brother, you mean?"

Not quite convinced with Thomas' excuses, Izuyanai let out an internal sigh. His self-satisfied smiles were tell-tale enough that he was scheming and toying around with her for answers. Why that was, was the real question. This old news made for little ammunition unless she let it become so. Nevertheless, this was the game she'd decided to play.

"He helped me study through records and personal journals on magic that were available. Did your family teach you magic? I'd like to hear your experience as a reference."

Short and simple. Maybe this would fare better.

It was the moment when he guessed right that she first felt a true need for caution. To be wary. Not because he answered correctly. That was part of the entertainment. A gamble that she had happened to lose. It was his tone that perked her ears and made her gaze curiously at his expression.

All her life in Kalea, Kelvics were more or less a curiosity. If not respected as completely human, welcomed readily enough. Wind Reach had been good to her as long as she pulled her weight. Their added regard for avians was a small boon as well. Lhavit, as far as she observed, was fascinated by the exotic creations. However, Izuyanai also knew that this welcome and intrigue translated into a completely different sort of treatment, elsewhere.

Thomas' tone made for a good warning and reminder. She didn't so much mind for her species' reputation as a whole. However, she wouldn't have herself viewed as an unintelligent creature. That much selfish pride she still had. It also made a good opportunity for her to prove him wrong if he indeed thought badly of her. Underestimation, after all, was the greatest enemy of all.

The raven briefly considered lying. It would have been worthwhile to see her teacher confused and disappointed. But rules were rules, and today she happened to feel like going along with them.

"That's correct. It's too bad I was found out so quickly."

Tilting her head at his speech of doom and gloom, she couldn't help but agree. Magic was deadly. Just as deadly in the hands of an idiot as in the hands of a genius. There was a never ending list of how magic brought ruin. Dangerous though it was, it still had a large part in shaping history. One just needed to make sure they were skilled enough not to find themselves stuck in the middle when magic reared out of control. Disaster itself was inevitable though being learned assured a small chance of survival.

Raising her brow at the threatening comment, Izuyanai asked with a morbid sort of interest.

"What? You actually know how to perform the operation of lobotomy?"

Frankly, she didn't have much of an idea herself. Only that it involved sharp objects to vital organs. Izuyanai raised her hands in surrender and smiled wryly at her impatient teacher.

"There won't be any need for that. I think I can call that a highly educated guess with a lot of detective work and auristics?"

Wondering if she'd need to make a mad dash for the door Izuyanai proceeded to explain herself.

"Obviously the size of the target is rather limited. Magic can confirm that along with the state, texture, and shape. Probably something easy to procure, unless you fancied bringing in rare artifacts for class demonstrations. Lastly, the imagery. Kalea's mountain range. And since that conclusion is rather unreasonable, something that has a strong connection to them. Such as the material composing them..."
Izuyanai
I'm back!

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Thomas Teaches

Postby Thomas Cosa on March 13th, 2016, 11:17 am

Thomas shifted awkwardly through her aura, his magic stepping in tune with hers, a practiced waltz that she managed effortlessly, and that he struggled to keep up. He wondered at her considerably less bright reaction, at how nothing seemed to pop up, at least, nothing besides a heavy mist of annoyance that clouded at the edges of her aura. The animator had expected a more vibrant emotional response, something really telling, but instead, he found that he'd only annoyed her; and only mildly at that.

Perhaps, then, it hadn't been her brother that had stirred colors from her aura, he decided, mentally tracking through their previous conversation, hoping he could find whatever had set her off.

"Did my family teach me?" Thomas echoed, a carefully practiced laugh escaping him, the sound pretty and condescending. "No, in short, they didn't. Everything I've learned, I earned through sacrifice and dedication. Where I apprenticed, it wasn't enough to simply pay for your lessons," he answered, again, not particularly caring if she took offense. If she wanted magic badly enough, she would stay, like he had. Sahova had tried him with far worse than a disgruntled professor, and he'd been desperate enough to stick it out.

It was then he caught something peculiar in her aura: the whole of it rippled with sudden reflection, a mirrored pond distrurb by some thought. The change happened quickly, and as far as Thomas knew, without real cause. No, she seemed all the more aware, a tense hyper alertness taking her, but from what? Had he'd said something that bothered her so? It was even more frustrating that he couldn't decided what it'd been.

"No, unfortunately, I don't know how to lobotimized you myself. Of course, not knowing hardly stopped me from trying anything before, if I'm being honest," he answered, nodding as he followed her logic about the pebbles aura. It was obvious that she was intelligent, and greatly capable of handling magic. The real question would be how long could she continue learning? Would and could she meet a human's capabilities?

"Your answer proves acceptable, if only just," Thomas sighed, still cleching the pebble. "Now, if you would be so kind to give me an estimate of it's size, shape, and anything else you might stumble upon, I would appreciate that very much."

Thomas Cosa

Thomas Cosa
bratty mageling

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Thomas Teaches

Postby Izuyanai on March 15th, 2016, 1:49 pm

Tilting her head in an interested manner, Izuyanai smiled quietly as Thomas regaled his experience as an apprentice. The raven hoped that if she were ever required to define the term “arrogance”, that Thomas would be standing next to her so as to save her the trouble. But perhaps his confidence was not completely unwarranted. After all, his current position did reveal at the very least his skill and dedication.

She concluded that the only reason they were still having any sort of civilised conversation was because she had her own brand of arrogance. Of course it manifested differently, but it was ultimately a similar condescension and skepticism. Unfortunately for the raven, that skepticism had recently extended to include herself. However, that also meant that she had enough room for the patience and ease required to enjoy encounters like this. Izuyanai had a suspicion that other students of this particular teacher had had their feathers ruffled quite considerably.

“I’m glad I wasn’t too incompetent.” Izuyanai said, bringing together the forefinger and thumb of her left hand as she spoke. She curled her finger inwards until it indicated the rough size of what she remembered from her reading. “The stone is give or take, around this size. A little rough, but the sharper edges seem to have been worn down.”

Casting her spell, she waited until the focus was properly in place once more. Once she gained a proper foothold, Izuyanai skimmed through the facts she had already obtained and attempted to gather more details. There wasn’t a lot she could find. After she had gathered one or two facts, everything else was out of her reach. It was as though her spell was trying to brush aside the illusion of a fog. No matter how hard she tried to see past it or brush it aside, the thick cloud remained immobile. The shadows she could sense behind the obstacle might have been the residual information that Thomas had been hinting at. Perhaps something about where the rock had been obtained. Complex properties and information about the materials composing it.

Receding for the moment, the raven reported what she did manage to uncover.

“There is a either a small crack or line running down what is currently the side and the color impression I managed to get was “dusty”.”

The problem with these impressions were that they often defied explanation. The result was the use of strange metaphors and primitive descriptions that very few people actually understood aside from the mage themselves.
Izuyanai
I'm back!

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Next